PDA

View Full Version : NDSU makes it into Sagarin's top 25.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 02:13 PM
1. Florida State
2. Alabama
3. Baylor
4. Oregon
5. Wisconsin
6. Arizona State
7. Stanford
8. Ohio State
9. Missouri
10. Clemson
11. LSU
12. Washington
13. Oklahoma State
14. UCLA
15. Auburn
16. Texas A&M
17. South Carolina
18. Southern California
19. Michigan State
20. Georgia
21. BYU
22. Louisville
23. Kansas State
24. North Dakota State
25. Mississippi
next 2 FCS team
43. EIU
71. SLU

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2013/team/

IBleedYellow
November 17th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Was just about to post this when I saw it.

Ratings don't matter, the one that's standing tallest with the FCS Trophy at the end of the year does. Let's get there.

putter
November 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Pretty cool. The more this happens the more positive news for the FCS.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 02:26 PM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1459238_10152058851279532_1428092492_n.jpg

Engineer86
November 17th, 2013, 03:55 PM
That is awesome. Seriously, A) is there interest and B) would the Big XII look your way in th next round of conference realignment. NDSU has proven it could fit, in my opinion.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 03:59 PM
That is awesome. Seriously, A) is there interest and B) would the Big XII look your way in th next round of conference realignment. NDSU has proven it could fit, in my opinion.

Probably not, FCS to a BCS league is to big of a jump, but the Big XII/Big Ten is our best conference blue print, and the big XII has way lower academic standards than the Big Ten.

Ultimately no, the BigXII won't ask NDSU to join for anything other than Wrestling.

Engineer86
November 17th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Probably not, FCS to a BCS league is to big of a jump, but the Big XII/Big Ten is our best conference blue print, and the big XII has way lower academic standards than the Big Ten.

Ultimately no, the BigXII won't ask NDSU to join for anything other than Wrestling.

OK, I think you are probably correct. I don't think there are other good alternatives, and wonder what the move is if you continue to win championships for the next few years.

I guess it is a matter of time before the Big XII too are discussing a scheduling ban on FCS schools.xlolx

maine612
November 17th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Very cool for NDSU. But Villanova behind ahead of Maine is a complete joke by any measure human or computer.

darell1976
November 17th, 2013, 05:12 PM
What's more surprising...NDSU in the top 25 or Alabama not #1.

Engineer86
November 17th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Guys stop, you know computers are better than any subjective human. Without following computer models we could not have things like the financial crisis, why would we not want computers to provide the solution to everything.

dudeitsaid
November 17th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Very cool to see that. Anyone ever seen and FCS team rated this highly in the Sagarin rankings before? NDSU continues a trend of great accomplishments.

AmsterBison
November 17th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Very cool to see that. Anyone ever seen and FCS team rated this highly in the Sagarin rankings before? NDSU continues a trend of great accomplishments.

Holy Cross was rated very highly.

I'd rather be rated low and have NDSU claim a shiny new trophy though.

dudeitsaid
November 17th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I'd rather be rated low and have NDSU claim a shiny new trophy though.

Agreed! And likely to happen unless you face EWU (Homerism liberally applied to that statement!)

ElCid
November 17th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Very cool to see that. Anyone ever seen an FCS team rated this highly in the Sagarin rankings before? NDSU continues a trend of great accomplishments.

Yes, one higher. Here are the last 17 years worth. The Thundering Turds ended up at #21 in 1996.

Year

Team

Final Sagarin Rating Highest FCS Team

NDSU

?

NDSU

NDSU

Delaware

Villanova

Richmond

App St

App St

App St

James Madison

Delaware

W Kentucky

Montana

Ga So

Ga So

Richmond

Villanova

Marshall

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 08:37 PM
If they keep going, considering the SOS will get only better, they could crack the top 20.

Hammerhead
November 17th, 2013, 09:07 PM
NDSU was #51 at the end of the regular season in 2012 and finished at #35. In 2011, NDSU moved up from #66 to #37 during the playoffs.

If they keep going, considering the SOS will get only better, they could crack the top 20.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 09:12 PM
NDSU was #51 at the end of the regular season in 2012 and finished at #35. In 2011, NDSU moved up from #66 to #37 during the playoffs.

I think once you get up in the top 25, those steps get much larger.

ElCid
November 17th, 2013, 09:17 PM

Yes, but it also depends, in part, upon how everyone they have played does for the rest of the year as well. If K St were to tube and get blown out its last two games that would hurt. But NDSU's SOS, at least in Sagarin, is showing higher than Louisville who is actually ranked two spots higher so it would have to be a phenomenal melt down by NDSU's opponents to affect it greatly. I actually think even if they keep winning, initially it will be tough since there are a lot of higher SOS right below them. And as the #1 seed they will draw the worst SOS initially in the playoffs. If they make it all the way and win the Championship again then they may have the SOS boost.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Yes, but it also depends, in part, upon how everyone they have played does for the rest of the year as well. If K St were to tube and get blown out its last two games that would hurt. But NDSU's SOS, at least in Sagarin, is showing higher than Louisville who is actually ranked two spots higher so it would have to be a phenomenal melt down by NDSU's opponents to affect it greatly. I actually think even if they keep winning, initially it will be tough since there are a lot of higher SOS right below them. And as the #1 seed they will draw the worst SOS initially in the playoffs. If they make it all the way and win the Championship again then they may have the SOS boost.

I'm talking about beating teams who have FBS wins under their belt. Fordham, EWU, etc. That and K State is looking better and better all season. They'll beat KU at the and of the season. If they can get past Oklahoma that is going to be huge.

ElCid
November 17th, 2013, 10:05 PM
I'm talking about beating teams who have FBS wins under their belt. Fordham, EWU, etc. That and K State is looking better and better all season. They'll beat KU at the and of the season. If they can get past Oklahoma that is going to be huge.

If K St beats OK the bump will be good. They are favored by the computer right now at home. And obviously favored at Kansas. But Kansas will not help much for the SOS since it is ranked below Coastal and B-C. As far as direct opponents, once they hit EWU or Fordam or E Ill, yeah it will bump if they win, but Butler or Sacred Heart or Lehigh will chip a little off the SOS first, if any of those teams survive the first round and meet NDSU. And while the SOS may go up eventually, the problem with being so high is that EVERYONE you play from now on, is lower than you, some much lower. So you better beat them by the computer point spread. It looks like NDSU will need 13-25 point wins for the majority of the teams expected in the playoffs, except for maybe E Ill and EWU. Doable, but not for certain.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 10:12 PM
If K St beats OK the bump will be good. They are favored by the computer right now at home. And obviously favored at Kansas. But Kansas will not help much for the SOS since it is ranked below Coastal and B-C. As far as direct opponents, once they hit EWU or Fordam or E Ill, yeah it will bump if they win, but Butler or Sacred Heart or Lehigh will chip a little off the SOS first, if any of those teams survive the first round and meet NDSU. And while the SOS may go up eventually, the problem with being so high is that EVERYONE you play from now on, is lower than you, some much lower. So you better beat them by the computer point spread. It looks like NDSU will need 13-25 point wins for the majority of the teams expected in the playoffs, except for maybe E Ill and EWU. Doable, but not for certain.

Total pisser, I was going to show up for the Sunflower Showdown since it's here but I'm going to be in Fargo Thanksgiving weekend.

Show up in my Bison gear and see how many tailgates treat me friendly like.

ElCid
November 17th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Total pisser, I was going to show up for the Sunflower Showdown since it's here but I'm going to be in Fargo Thanksgiving weekend.

Show up in my Bison gear and see how many tailgates treat me friendly like.

Don't know any Kansas or K St people but they ought to show some respect.xbowx

NoDak 4 Ever
November 18th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Don't know any Kansas or K St people but they ought to show some respect.xbowx

Lots of people come up to me around town and talk about it. Everybody's pretty friendly. They all know how bad KU Football is around here. Of course, beating K State had a lot to do with it.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Yes, one higher. Here are the last 17 years worth. The Thundering Turds ended up at #21 in 1996.

Year
Team
Final Sagarin Rating Highest FCS Team

NDSU
?

NDSU

NDSU

Delaware

Villanova

Richmond

App St

App St

App St

James Madison

Delaware

W Kentucky

Montana

Ga So

Ga So

Richmond

Villanova

Marshall

Your list only goes back as far as 1996. You miss over half of the history of FCS.

Sagarin is not a good rating system because it doesn't include ALL college games that are played. Pretty serious flaw. But congrats to NDSU anyway.

thebootfitter
November 18th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Interestingly, per Sagarin's Predictor score, only one team would be within two touchdowns of NDSU at the FargoDome right now. (Eastern Illinois is closest and would still be an 8.5 point dog. Next is Southeast Louisiana at 14.3 points.) Sure... it's a computer model with some flaws, but it still predicts the correct winner approx 75-80% of the time for all Division I games.

frozennorth
November 18th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Your list only goes back as far as 1996. You miss over half of the history of FCS.

Sagarin is not a good rating system because it doesn't include ALL college games that are played. Pretty serious flaw. But congrats to NDSU anyway.
ndsu is 26th in massey if you like that one better.

thebootfitter
November 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Sagarin is not a good rating system because it doesn't include ALL college games that are played. Pretty serious flaw.
I've seen several folks tout this issue as a "serious flaw" before, but I've never seen any data to back up the claim. I don't disagree that it is a shortcoming when applying to DI-AA/FCS teams (which is fine, since that's not really why Sagarin developed it), but I am dubious that it has a significant statistical impact on the overall figures. My rough educated guess is that less than 5% of all FCS match ups are with sub-DI teams. Even if it is 10-15%, I'm not sure how much impact this would have on the overall system.

Do you have any data or facts to make the claim that this is a serious flaw? Or is it more of an anecdotal observation or gut feeling? Serious question. I'm not trying to push buttons here.

Twentysix
November 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24245405/power-poll-top-four-remain-steady-setting-up-football-four-for-the-ages
(http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24245405/power-poll-top-four-remain-steady-setting-up-football-four-for-the-ages)

NDSU #17 in CBS Dennis Dodd's power poll, NDSU has been ranked in the poll since we were 1-0.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 18th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I've seen several folks tout this issue as a "serious flaw" before, but I've never seen any data to back up the claim. I don't disagree that it is a shortcoming when applying to DI-AA/FCS teams (which is fine, since that's not really why Sagarin developed it), but I am dubious that it has a significant statistical impact on the overall figures. My rough educated guess is that less than 5% of all FCS match ups are with sub-DI teams. Even if it is 10-15%, I'm not sure how much impact this would have on the overall system.

Do you have any data or facts to make the claim that this is a serious flaw? Or is it more of an anecdotal observation or gut feeling? Serious question. I'm not trying to push buttons here.

anyone who can do math on that level, wins.

frozennorth
November 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM

unrated went 20-75 this year, most of the wins against pioneer and swac teams as far as i can tell. I think UNC was the only team to lose one in a top-6 conference, though i might have missed one or two.

thebootfitter
November 19th, 2013, 03:24 AM

I've seen several folks tout this issue as a "serious flaw" before, but I've never seen any data to back up the claim.
Do you have any data or facts to make the claim that this is a serious flaw? ...

unrated went 20-75 this year, most of the wins against pioneer and swac teams as far as i can tell. I think UNC was the only team to lose one in a top-6 conference, though i might have missed one or two.
I think the main concern is that all sub-DI opponents are being treated equally. Most people realize that not all sub-DI opponents are truly equal, but Sagarin's system for college FB treats a powerhouse DII champion the same as a weak NAIA team, thus not fairly considering strength of schedule and effective quality of wins for games played against sub-DI opponents.

I'm really curious now whether this issue has been analyzed before. My gut says that it really wouldn't have much of an impact overall, but I could be surprised by the actual findings. Sure, it will have some impact on teams that play sub-DI opponents, and particularly those that play more than one. Look at the current extreme case of NDSU: Early in the year, the Bison played a strong DII team (Ferris State) that just ended their regular season at 8-3, yet the Bison are still the highest ranked FCS team according to Sagarin, with the 6th toughest schedule in all of FCS. Anecdotally, there just doesn't seem to be much evidence here of the sub-DI opponent diluting the ratings.

Kramer
November 19th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Congratulations NDSU. Well deserved recognition! And thanks for continuing to bring respect to FCS football!

ElCid
November 19th, 2013, 06:00 AM

I know but this is all I could find. Sorry. I was only going to spend so much time searching. You have the earlier ones? I have never had a huge amount of faith in it or any computer program for that matter. Simply answering an earlier question. To me, any computer ranking is simply anther data point.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2013, 06:17 AM
I know but this is all I could find. Sorry. I was only going to spend so much time searching. You have the earlier ones? I have never had a huge amount of faith in it or any computer program for that matter. Simply answering an earlier question. To me, any computer ranking is simply anther data point.
I gave up on Sagarin in 1995 when Appalachian State went 12-1, beat Marshall head-to-head to win the Southern Conference championship and was ranked BEHIND Marshall in the Sagarin when Marshall went to the I-AA championship game. Hence, I haven't collected his messed-up data.

One person wrote earlier that Holy Cross had been ranked higher in the Sagarin during that great era for the Crusaders in the late 1980s,

Mr. C
November 19th, 2013, 06:24 AM

There is zero reason to eliminate games as Sagarin does. Others, like Massey, at least put all of the info into their computers, even if they might screw up some of the emphasis and put more importance on strength-of-schedule than they should. In observing Sagarin's stuff over the years, a lot of us have had questions about how often teams that beat other teams head-to-head have been ranked behind those teams by Sagarin. I am not a math guy, but I have watched and covered FCS for 21 years and college football for 35 seasons (and was a huge fan all the way back into the mid-60s as a kid). I know when I see with my own eyes that one team is better than another, like that Appalachian State-Marshall analogy from 1995 that I mentioned earlier.

thebootfitter
November 19th, 2013, 07:38 AM
There is zero reason to eliminate games as Sagarin does. Others, like Massey, at least put all of the info into their computers, even if they might screw up some of the emphasis and put more importance on strength-of-schedule than they should. In observing Sagarin's stuff over the years, a lot of us have had questions about how often teams that beat other teams head-to-head have been ranked behind those teams by Sagarin. I am not a math guy, but I have watched and covered FCS for 21 years and college football for 35 seasons (and was a huge fan all the way back into the mid-60s as a kid). I know when I see with my own eyes that one team is better than another, like that Appalachian State-Marshall analogy from 1995 that I mentioned earlier.
As I understand the advent and evolution of Sagarin's system, it was developed with DI-A in mind. Thus, there is zero reason to bother with the additional data from all the DII games, which is unnecessary clutter that requires more computing power, etc. This does make it less accurate and less desirable for consideration with DI-AA/FCS teams, but it is what it is.

In a computer rating system such as Sagarin's, a single game is typically not going to sway the ratings a significant amount -- especially when it is a close game on the scoreboard such as in your 10-3 Appalachian/Marshall game in '95. In simple terms, it is a safeguard to protect the integrity of the system from the extreme variability that exists from the any given Saturday effect. Thus, it is not uncommon to have teams that lost head-to-head match ups ranked higher than their opponents. Over the course of the season, these anomalies should be sorted out. Unless, of course, they are not really anomalies at all.

In your scenario, was Appalachian State the better team just that day when they beat Marshall head to head? If they played Marshall 10 times or 100 times on different days in different conditions, is it your opinion that Appalachian would win more often than not? Did you follow both teams all season and watch them multiple times to see how they changed throughout the season? With a standard deviation of approx 2 touchdowns, Sagarin's system allows for quite a bit of variability in play from week to week. Even a team that is favored by four touchdowns will lose a couple games out of 100.

Within the context of a computer rating system, a single loss by one touchdown suggests two pretty evenly matched teams. The remainder of their schedules and performances against those other opponents will be what defines their rating. In the grand scheme of things, any system that predicts the correct winner of match ups 75-80% of the time probably has some validity.

I'm not trying to convince you that Sagarin's system is perfect. But I do think that some basic understanding of what it is and what it isn't might sway your perception a bit.

ElCid
November 19th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I gave up on Sagarin in 1995 when Appalachian State went 12-1, beat Marshall head-to-head to win the Southern Conference championship and was ranked BEHIND Marshall in the Sagarin when Marshall went to the I-AA championship game. Hence, I haven't collected his messed-up data.

One person wrote earlier that Holy Cross had been ranked higher in the Sagarin during that great era for the Crusaders in the late 1980s,

I think I remember HC high but until I find the rankings from back then, I can't swear to it. But here is a weird one. In 1999, they had UC Davis listed in the Sagarin ratings but instead of IA or IAA they were listed as Div II. Check it out, ranked #125. I don't really remember that at the time, but I was personally swamped at the time. I thought they moved up in 06 or 07. So this was a real oddity.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/1999/team/

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2013, 08:23 PM
I think I remember HC high but until I find the rankings from back then, I can't swear to it. But here is a weird one. In 1999, they had UC Davis listed in the Sagarin ratings but instead of IA or IAA they were listed as Div II. Check it out, ranked #125. I don't really remember that at the time, but I was personally swamped at the time. I thought they moved up in 06 or 07. So this was a real oddity.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/1999/team/

Davis was DII in 1999. They started reclassification one year before NDSU, in 2002, I believe. They started the Great West Conference with the DSU's, Cal Poly, and what should have been St. Mary's before they dropped football.

ElCid
November 19th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Davis was DII in 1999. They started reclassification one year before NDSU, in 2002, I believe. They started the Great West Conference with the DSU's, Cal Poly, and what should have been St. Mary's before they dropped football.

I knew they were still Div II, but the fact that they were included in the Sag ratings at all is the real head scratcher. But even as I typed this I rechecked the 1999 ratings and low and behold I saw anther Div II team listed - New Haven at #168. They were both top tier Div II teams apparently. In 2000 UC Davis was again listed as Div II (at #41!) as well as Savannah St - Div II. I must have been asleep during this time. Must have been some sort of experiment by Sagarin.

McNeese75
November 19th, 2013, 10:05 PM
As I understand the advent and evolution of Sagarin's system, it was developed with DI-A in mind. Thus, there is zero reason to bother with the additional data from all the DII games, which is unnecessary clutter that requires more computing power, etc. This does make it less accurate and less desirable for consideration with DI-AA/FCS teams, but it is what it is.

In a computer rating system such as Sagarin's, a single game is typically not going to sway the ratings a significant amount -- especially when it is a close game on the scoreboard such as in your 10-3 Appalachian/Marshall game in '95. In simple terms, it is a safeguard to protect the integrity of the system from the extreme variability that exists from the any given Saturday effect. Thus, it is not uncommon to have teams that lost head-to-head match ups ranked higher than their opponents. Over the course of the season, these anomalies should be sorted out. Unless, of course, they are not really anomalies at all.

In your scenario, was Appalachian State the better team just that day when they beat Marshall head to head? If they played Marshall 10 times or 100 times on different days in different conditions, is it your opinion that Appalachian would win more often than not? Did you follow both teams all season and watch them multiple times to see how they changed throughout the season? With a standard deviation of approx 2 touchdowns, Sagarin's system allows for quite a bit of variability in play from week to week. Even a team that is favored by four touchdowns will lose a couple games out of 100.

Within the context of a computer rating system, a single loss by one touchdown suggests two pretty evenly matched teams. The remainder of their schedules and performances against those other opponents will be what defines their rating. In the grand scheme of things, any system that predicts the correct winner of match ups 75-80% of the time probably has some validity.

I'm not trying to convince you that Sagarin's system is perfect. But I do think that some basic understanding of what it is and what it isn't might sway your perception a bit.

WTH do you do for a living????? You sure don't sound like a cobbler xeyebrowx

thebootfitter
November 19th, 2013, 10:49 PM
WTH do you do for a living????? You sure don't sound like a cobbler xeyebrowx
Ha ha! I live for a living, man!

My resume includes bartending; custom boot fitting at a technical outdoor shop; learned custom boot making from one of our generation's best, who learned from one of the past generation's best (Sam Lucchese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucchese_Boot_Company)); brew meister; mountain climber; sales, marketing, & PR for an international non-profit; oh, and a catastrophe risk analyst for a reinsurance intermediary.

I just happen to like numbers a bit as a fun hobby.

McNeese75
November 19th, 2013, 11:05 PM

My resume includes bartending; custom boot fitting at a technical outdoor shop; learned custom boot making from one of our generation's best, who learned from one of the past generation's best (Sam Lucchese); brew meister; mountain climber; sales, marketing, & PR for an international non-profit; oh, and a catastrophe risk analyst for a reinsurance intermediary.

Ahhhhh, there it is, LOL. I knew there had to be more to the story. xthumbsupx

Green1
November 20th, 2013, 12:22 AM

My resume includes bartending; custom boot fitting at a technical outdoor shop; learned custom boot making from one of our generation's best, who learned from one of the past generation's best (Sam Lucchese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucchese_Boot_Company)); brew meister; mountain climber; sales, marketing, & PR for an international non-profit; oh, and a catastrophe risk analyst for a reinsurance intermediary.

Bootfitter: you are a man of mystery!!

FargoBison
November 21st, 2013, 12:13 AM
USA today actually put out an article about NDSU's high Sagarin....interesting stuff...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/11/21/football-four-sagarin-speaks-north-dakota-state-bison/3645173/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=384245

Hammerhead
November 21st, 2013, 03:55 PM
Nice article in the USA today about this.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/11/21/football-four-sagarin-speaks-north-dakota-state-bison/3645173/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=384245

Sagarin speaks: How North Dakota State ranks with FBS' bestCraig Bennett, USA TODAY Sports11:50 a.m. EST November 21, 2013
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/e01c6d0c7edaeec38b9cff161e110d3947a41c72/c=0-459-2103-2040&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/USATODAY/test/2013/11/21//1385052538000-USATSI-7407412.jpg
(Photo: Scott Sewell, USA TODAY Sports)

SHARE 1347CONNECT 43TWEET (https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http://usat.ly/I4u7Sh&text=Sagarin%20speaks:%20How%20North%20Dakota%20St ate%20ranks%20with%20FBS'%20best&via=usatoday)
2COMMENTEMAILMORE

The parallels are eerie.
Going for a third consecutive national title. A 10-0 record and rarely tested this season. Ranked No. 1 in the polls from the outset. Leader of the highest-rated league.
Each applies to the Alabama Crimson Tide. And the North Dakota State Bison.

Twentysix
November 24th, 2013, 08:29 AM
NDSU jumps BYU and K-State to #22.

1 Florida State A = 102.61
2 Alabama A = 99.40
3 Oregon A = 93.59
4 Wisconsin A = 92.88
5 Baylor A = 92.69
6 Ohio State A = 91.76
7 Arizona State A = 91.69
8 Missouri A = 90.81
9 Stanford A = 90.70