PDA

View Full Version : Gridiron Classic, mistake? San Diego could make playoffs...

Torero Tradition
October 9th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Anybody know what has been the highest ranking ever for a I-AA non-scholarship program? Has a Non-Scholly team ever made the playoffs in I-AA?

I'm thinking the Gridiron Classic is a mistake for the Pioneer Football League and the Northeastconfernce, unless revisions can be made. Wouldn't those schools in these two conferences rather be playing in the I-AA playoffs if possible? Shouldn't those school administrators, AD's, Coaches etc., do everything possible to make it happen?

http://www.northeastconference.org/sport.asp?path=fball

http://www.pioneer-football.org/

We all know that 8 conferences have auto-bids and for the final 8 teams:[Reference: Bylaws 31.01.2, 31.01.3 and 31.3 in the NCAA Manual.] At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I-AA football committee, assisted by four regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.

All teams in the Northeastconference and the Pioneer Football League are on the list of possible at-large selections.

To get selected for the playoffs the following principles apply...
The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket;
2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents; and
5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.
[See Appendix B (page 29) for a map of the geographical regions.]

Also, you have the G.P.I. which is the The Gridiron Power Index (GPI), the ranking for I-AA and top indicator of at-large playoff selection. Any Pioneer League team or Northeastconference team could possibly meet the criteria listed above for the playoffs (Div I wins etc., and so on)

This year we have a situation in early October where the Toreros of the University of San Diego might crack the top 20 in the GPI, are ranked #21 in the Sportsnetwork Poll and are #20 in the AGS Poll. USD could possibly find themselves in the top 16 in all categories by the regular season end. (They would have to win out, but could be possible with their team this year.) If that were a case for a normal team, and being undefeated... you would have to think they would be selected for the playoffs, regardless of what you think of their schedule, league, team etc. If you are ranked high, undefeated and high in the GPI, you are most likely going to get in.

NOW, this is no normal team. This team has scheduled a game against UC-Davis for the 25th of November, which is the first round of the I-AA playoffs. (Who does that?) However, UC-Davis is not a playoff eligible team yet and are currently in the Great West Conference. Why not drop this game? Why wouldn't most schools if they were going to play in the playoffs? BUT WAIT

Not only has this team and school scheduled a game for the first round of the playoffs, they also play in a conference which now sends the PFL winner to meet the NEC winner in the Gridiron classic. This game is slated for the last regular season weekend of the year on Nov. 18th. The Gridiron Classic is considered a post-season game, thus whoever plays in this game would not be eligible for the playoffs.

Unlike the IVY's, the schools in the PFL and NEC would openly accept a playoff invite, but have thus taken themselves right out of the picture with the Gridiron classic. The only way San Diego could make the playoffs this year is to cancel their game with UC-Davis... and also not win the PFL automatic bid to the Gridiron Classic, unless of course the AD's and Conference officials made an amendment that would send another team to the Gridiron Classic should a certain time have a legitimate shot at the playoffs. ALL SCENARIOS HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

Which goes back to the original thought... is the Gridiron Classic a mistake? Or is I-AA non-scholly teams in the playoffs just a pipe-dream?

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 12:53 PM
are we back to this? EVEN if u didnt have the Gridiron classic u wouldnt get a playoff spot because the only opponent u have that can help your cause you play the first weekend of the playoffs.

MplsBison
October 9th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Is there a rule that says if a team has a game scheduled on the first week of the playoffs that they are not allowed to be considered?

Anyone?

Tribe4SF
October 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Is there a rule that says if a team has a game scheduled on the first week of the playoffs that they are not allowed to be considered?

Anyone?

Are you serious?xidiotx

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Anyone?

AS has been discussed before, a team can only participate in one playoff in a season, they will have the gridiron classic. Also, they cant exactly call UC Davis and say "Yo sucks to be you, were not showing up for the game"

Aside from that, that UC Davis game is the only way they could get into the playoffs, they really wouldnt have beaten anyone that good besides that.

San Diego will not be in the playoffs.

Torero Tradition
October 9th, 2006, 01:00 PM
are we back to this? EVEN if u didnt have the Gridiron classic u wouldnt get a playoff spot because the only opponent u have that can help your cause you play the first weekend of the playoffs.

For the sake of arguement, let's say San Diego and UC-Davis aren't even scheduled to play this year. Throw out the Gridiron Classic as a post-season game, is San Diego good enough for the playoffs?

What if at the end of the year they are ranked in the top #16 in both polls have a high GPI. I bet they would get selected. The point being, they would garner serious consideration for a spot regardless of what most people think of the PFL or Non-Scholly teams in general. Are teams in the NEC and PFL shooting themselves in the foot by creating the Gridiron classic? I think so, the odds of a school making it from one of those conferences has now went way down.

Torero Tradition
October 9th, 2006, 01:03 PM
:nonono2:

San Diego will not be in the playoffs.

I think everyone realizes that San Diego will not be in the playoffs... the question is... the Gridiron Classic really hurts them from ever being in the playoffs. Regardless if they schedule tougher teams and win them, if you play in the Gridiron Classic you don't play in the I-AA Playoffs. Hence, why is the Gridiorn Classic good for the PFL or NEC?

GannonFan
October 9th, 2006, 01:15 PM
If San Diego played a schedule that would make them worthy enough to be in the playoffs (i.e. play UC Davis and maybe 2 more teams like that, before the playoffs begin, and beat 2 of them) then yes, the Gridiron Classic would be a mistake as it would keep a worthy team out of the playoffs. If Albany had gone 9-2 or 10-1 with their schedule and the right wins they could've been a playoff contender this year. With San Diego's schedule, they would never be playoff considered, irregardless of anything else.

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 01:15 PM
For the sake of arguement, let's say San Diego and UC-Davis aren't even scheduled to play this year. Throw out the Gridiron Classic as a post-season game, is San Diego good enough for the playoffs?

What if at the end of the year they are ranked in the top #16 in both polls have a high GPI. I bet they would get selected. The point being, they would garner serious consideration for a spot regardless of what most people think of the PFL or Non-Scholly teams in general. Are teams in the NEC and PFL shooting themselves in the foot by creating the Gridiron classic? I think so, the odds of a school making it from one of those conferences has now went way down.

NO! What justification would there be to award a playoff spot to a team that plays such a cupcake schedule?

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 01:16 PM
:nonono2:

I think everyone realizes that San Diego will not be in the playoffs... the question is... the Gridiron Classic really hurts them from ever being in the playoffs. Regardless if they schedule tougher teams and win them, if you play in the Gridiron Classic you don't play in the I-AA Playoffs. Hence, why is the Gridiorn Classic good for the PFL or NEC?

The Gridiron classic doesnt hurt them at all, cause even if they didnt have that or the UC Davis game they havent played a playoff deserving schedule.

Kabooom
October 9th, 2006, 01:19 PM
And we'll see you in the first round.....Bring your 3mm wetsuits,(These will suffice for your lack of Montana December game-day wearing appearal) and your longboards, and maybe we can catch some 3 ft windswell on Flathead Lake!.......Brah!........Flathead Lake marine report 10/9/06@11:18 A.M.........North wind 15 to 25 knots. Windswell 3-4 ft at 8 seconds. Water temp 51 degrees.

rmutv
October 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I think until the Pioneer League and Northeast Conference can show consistent improvement like they've shown this year (at least San Diego and the bigwigs in the NEC), you will see the Gridiron Classic.

The whole reason for the Classic was the lack of consideration given to the PFL and NEC because of weaker performances. This season just happens to muddle things a bit more because of the CCSU upset of Georgia Southern and San Diego's current unbeaten record.

It'll take a lot more from PFL and NEC teams to make the I-AA playoffs.

blur2005
October 9th, 2006, 02:07 PM
For the love of God, are we really discussing this again? San Diego has a game scheduled for the same day as the first round. That precludes any argument from smoked-up Torrero fans about why SD should be in the playoffs. UC Davis is NOT going to take a flyer on that game, since they can't participate in the playoffs yet. Moreover, that game would be the only real proof, aside MAYBE Yale (Which remains to be seen), that the Torreros deserve a bid.

Also, memo to San Diego people on AGS: PLEASE STOP HIJACKING THREADS.

Torero Tradition
October 9th, 2006, 03:05 PM
The Gridiron classic doesnt hurt them at all, cause even if they didnt have that or the UC Davis game they havent played a playoff deserving schedule.

The Gridiron classic does hurt becuase if you ever play in that, you wouldn't ever be eligible for the playoffs. Which is back to the point of this thread, is the Gridiron classic a good thing for the NEC and PFL?

Torero Tradition
October 9th, 2006, 03:10 PM
For the love of God, are we really discussing this again? San Diego has a game scheduled for the same day as the first round. That precludes any argument from smoked-up Torrero fans about why SD should be in the playoffs. UC Davis is NOT going to take a flyer on that game, since they can't participate in the playoffs yet. Moreover, that game would be the only real proof, aside MAYBE Yale (Which remains to be seen), that the Torreros deserve a bid.

Also, memo to San Diego people on AGS: PLEASE STOP HIJACKING THREADS.

First of all, no one is hijacking threads. xidiotx

Secondly, all that information as to why San Diego cant play in the playoffs this year was in the original thread. I don't think there are any smoked-up Torero fans thinking USD is going to be in the playoffs this year. The question is, based on the info right now... USD would have had a shot had they not scheduled a game against UCDavis for the 25th of November and for the newly created Gridiron Classic game based on the NCAA I-AA playoff criteria and GPI, which is the top indicator for at-large selection. This thread is to discuss the Gridiron classic and likely hood of I-AA non-scholarship teams ever making the playoffs.

blur2005
October 9th, 2006, 03:20 PM
First of all, no one is hijacking threads. xidiotx

Secondly, all that information as to why San Diego cant play in the playoffs this year was in the original thread. I don't think there are any smoked-up Torero fans thinking USD is going to be in the playoffs this year. The question is, based on the info right now... USD would have had a shot had they not scheduled a game against UCDavis for the 25th of November and for the newly created Gridiron Classic game based on the NCAA I-AA playoff criteria and GPI, which is the top indicator for at-large selection. This thread is to discuss the Gridiron classic and likely hood of I-AA non-scholarship teams ever making the playoffs.
I have to disagree, Torrero fans are at least attempting to hijack threads that discuss playoff viability for other teams. People are talking about one team's chances of making it when a SD fan pops in and says "there's a team in the PFL" that's making noise for the playoffs. Give me a break.

I believe that San Diego has a chance of making it next year if they don't schedule a team during the week of the first round. Go 11-0 again with a team like Davis on the schedule and I'm pretty sure the Torreros manage to get in, no matter how weak a conference schedule they play...especially if we have a situation like this year where there are three conferences that will likely just have auto-bid playoff teams.

crunifan
October 9th, 2006, 03:24 PM
If UNI is in the playoffs this year, I would love to play San Diego in the first round. Same with Hampton! xlolx

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 03:29 PM
The Gridiron classic does hurt becuase if you ever play in that, you wouldn't ever be eligible for the playoffs. Which is back to the point of this thread, is the Gridiron classic a good thing for the NEC and PFL?

my point was the Gridiron classic dont matter cause even if u didnt have that, your still not a playoff team because u havent played anyone thats anygood.

Torero Tradition
October 9th, 2006, 03:57 PM
my point was the Gridiron classic dont matter cause even if u didnt have that, your still not a playoff team because u havent played anyone thats anygood.

I see in your voting that you ranked USD in the top 25... why do you even give us consideration, especially considering we haven't played "ANY ONE GOOD" in your view point.

Torero Tradition
October 9th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I have to disagree, Torrero fans are at least attempting to hijack threads that discuss playoff viability for other teams. People are talking about one team's chances of making it when a SD fan pops in and says "there's a team in the PFL" that's making noise for the playoffs. Give me a break.

I believe that San Diego has a chance of making it next year if they don't schedule a team during the week of the first round. Go 11-0 again with a team like Davis on the schedule and I'm pretty sure the Torreros manage to get in, no matter how weak a conference schedule they play...especially if we have a situation like this year where there are three conferences that will likely just have auto-bid playoff teams.

Unfortunately, as much as I wish USD could even get in next year, the Gridiron classic will always prevent that at long as it is around. There is no way a team from the PFL or NEC would get selected and not even be the best team from one of those conferences. The Gridiron Classic pits the winner of the PFL against the winner of the NEC, thus becoming a post-season game. Teams aren't allowed to play in two post-seasons, so unless there are changes brought on by the two conferences involved, you will not see anyone from the PFL or NEC in the playoffs anytime soon.

In the case of the University of San Diego.... the correct spelling of the team name(s) is :
T-O-R-E-R-O-S :)

putter
October 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM
If San Diego played a schedule that would make them worthy enough to be in the playoffs (i.e. play UC Davis and maybe 2 more teams like that, before the playoffs begin, and beat 2 of them) then yes, the Gridiron Classic would be a mistake as it would keep a worthy team out of the playoffs. If Albany had gone 9-2 or 10-1 with their schedule and the right wins they could've been a playoff contender this year. With San Diego's schedule, they would never be playoff considered, irregardless of anything else.
Gannon is correct. However, to remedy this in the future why not allow the NEC or PFL champion to opt out of the Gridiron Classic if they received an at-large bid to the playoffs. That way if a team earned their way in then they can either take the invite or play in the classic.

Torero Tradition
October 9th, 2006, 04:16 PM
That would be great for any school in the NEC or PFL to have an "opt" out availble due to a chance at the playoffs, but the Gridiron Classic is played on the 18th of November which is the last regular scheduled week of the regular season. The playoff selection committee makes their picks the very next day. There would be no way to tell if a team from the NEC or PFL was going to be selected... it would suck to opt out of the game and then not get selected for the playoffs :eek:

Torero Tradition
October 9th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Putter, can you get us in the Big Sky Conference for football? :cool:
On a serious note, we will always stay in the West Coast Conference for all other sports, but to me... it seems like the Great West Conference for football would be a smart option... that is... if those teams wanted us and our school decided to put some more money into football. :hurray:

Torero Tradition
October 9th, 2006, 04:29 PM
What do fans in the NEC think of the gridiron classic?

putter
October 9th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Putter, can you get us in the Big Sky Conference for football? :cool:
On a serious note, we will always stay in the West Coast Conference for all other sports, but to me... it seems like the Great West Conference for football would be a smart option... that is... if those teams wanted us and our school decided to put some more money into football. :hurray:

Ha Ha...:thumbsup:

Actually you are correct about the Great West. You have the ability for regional rivalries, cut down on cross-country travel and have the Big Sky for OOC games (which you should do anyway). I hope Harbaugh uses his pull to get some scholly's and put Cal Poly, UC Davis, etc. on the schedule every year!

UAalum72
October 9th, 2006, 06:19 PM
What do fans in the NEC think of the gridiron classic?
As soon as it was announced I posted that it would be used as an excuse not to vote an NEC team into the playoffs even if it were otherwise worthy, that it was crumbs being fed to us for not having an auto-bid, that there would be almost no interest in it other than possibly at the two schools involved, and that was before I realized that Iammarino was negotiating this when he probably already knew he going to the Southern Conference, so that BOTH commissioners had conflicts of interest between their full-scholarship leagues and lower-equivalency leagues.

In case you didn't get it, I think it's a load of crap.

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I see in your voting that you ranked USD in the top 25... why do you even give us consideration, especially considering we haven't played "ANY ONE GOOD" in your view point.

Because I think your team could beat decent teams! But when talking playoffs its not what you could do, its what you have done. I would love to see a school go all out for a playoff spot, schuedle teams that will help them do so. I have nothing against San Diego, they just arent a playoff team this year regardless of the Gridiron Classic or not.

blur2005
October 9th, 2006, 06:27 PM
In the case of the University of San Diego.... the correct spelling of the team name(s) is :
T-O-R-E-R-O-S :)
Sorry, I assumed, considering its Spanish origins, it was spelled Torreros.

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Well isn't this interesting... the AD's are talking about potentional playoff bids and letting a playoff eligible team not play in the Gridiron Classic...

Stay Tuned...

UNHWildCats
October 10th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Well isn't this interesting... the AD's are talking about potentional playoff bids and letting a playoff eligible team not play in the Gridiron Classic...

Stay Tuned...

Doesnt matter, your team would not be chosen for the playoffs this year without that UC Davis win and thats a scheduled game after the playoff teams are announced.

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Doesnt matter, your team would not be chosen for the playoffs this year without that UC Davis win and thats a scheduled game after the playoff teams are announced.

How can you say that... unless you are the one picking the 8 auto bid teams and if so, I thought it was a committee and not a single individual. :p

In addition, I find it funny that USD is ranked in 4 polls but everyone says they are no good? It doesn't make any sense, if that is the case, why are they ranked... if they have a high ranking at the end of the year and have a high GPI.... you might just find them in the playoffs. :hurray:

(especially now since the school is looking to reschedule Davis and not play in the gridiron classic.)

UNHWildCats
October 10th, 2006, 04:57 PM
WHOS SAYING THERE NO GOOD? I already told you, I have them ranked, because I think there good, but they havent proven and wont prove to be a playoff team with there schedule this year.

Playoff spots arent handed out based on how good a team could be, but on how good they proved themselves to be. San Diego can not possibly prove themselves a playoff team with the schedule they play this season prior to the playoff selections, and even with the UC Davis game may not be able to.

If you wanna come here and praise ur team as a playoff team then get on the phone with ur Athletic Director and tell him to call UNH, UNI, Furman, ASU, JMU, Richmond or any of the top teams in I-AA and get a triup scheduled to their stadiums next season.

Go Poly
October 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM
How can you say that... unless you are the one picking the 8 auto bid teams and if so, I thought it was a committee and not a single individual. :p

In addition, I find it funny that USD is ranked in 4 polls but everyone says they are no good? It doesn't make any sense, if that is the case, why are they ranked... if they have a high ranking at the end of the year and have a high GPI.... you might just find them in the playoffs. :hurray:

(especially now since the school is looking to reschedule Davis and not play in the gridiron classic.)

When would you reschedule Davis? Is there another weekend available to both teams this season?

UNHWildCats
October 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM

Your team already has a game the week UC Davis has off so a reschedule cant possibly work out for u guys.

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 05:04 PM
The game can be rescheduled for next year (2007, early fall)
USD is looking to get out of the game this year so they can play in the playoffs. They will also forgo the Gridiron Classic if playoffs are strong possibility.

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 05:05 PM
http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/articles/2006/10/10/opinion/01shanbaugh.txt
-------
But the Toreros now are enjoying the once improbable prospect of earning an at-large entry into the Division I-AA playoffs. That would mean they're competing with schools such as Cal Poly -- a Division I-AA quarterfinalist last year ranked No. 4 this season and playing at San Diego State on Oct. 28 -- that offer as many as 63 scholarships.

There are 16 teams in the Division I-AA field, with eight automatic berths and eight at-large berths. USD hopes to climb into the Top 16 of the NCAA power rankings for the Division I-AA playoff seeding. Last week they were No. 22 in an unofficial Grid Power Index.

In fact, the Toreros are playing so well, they may have a conflict with their final regular season game on Nov. 25 at UC Davis. That's because the Division I-AA playoffs begin Nov. 25.

If the Toreros keep winning, they also would qualify for the Gridiron Classic, a bowl game scheduled for Nov. 18 between the PFL and Northeast Conference champions. That would mean a post-season game before the playoffs.

"We're in communication with all the athletic directors and conference commissioners involved," USD athletic director Ky Snyder said. "It's a little early, and we have to see how this all plays out, so I don't want to jinx us. But we believe there are enough options available."

USD can't be faulted for the scheduling conflict. The odds of a mid-major Division I-AA school being invited into the Division I-AA playoffs may be longer than the odds of a non-Bowl Championship Series school being invited to a BCS bowl game. It's only happened once, with Utah in 2004.

The Gridiron Classic would be the Toreros' reward if the Division I-AA playoffs remain and an unrealistic goal. The game with UC Davis -- which is ineligible for the playoffs while making the transition from Division II to Division I-AA -- was an opportunity for the Toreros to measure themselves against a scholarship school that defeated Stanford last year.

"Everybody has said, 'If you get in, you're going to play.' "Snyder said."That's the way I would feel about it if another school were in this situation with us.

dbackjon
October 10th, 2006, 05:08 PM
The game can be rescheduled for next year (2007, early fall)
USD is looking to get out of the game this year so they can play in the playoffs. They will also forgo the Gridiron Classic if playoffs are strong possibility.

You are in a catch-22. Without a good win like one over UC-Davis, no way in hell you make the playoffs. But you can't play UC-Davis this year, and make the playoffs.

Sucks for USD, but you can't blame anyone but your AD and Coach for the schedule you have.

SochorField
October 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM
:bang: :bang: :bang:

:rotateh: :rotateh:

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Uh-oh, Davis might be without a game on the 25th of November :D

Maverick
October 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I am sure that without the UCD game your strength of schedule will drop you out of the I-AA playoffs. Unless you can get the team you are playing the weekend that UCD has open to drop their game and get UCD to agree with the change just to get a shot to play (the prospect of winning will be for another thread from TT himself I am sure). Seems like a simple little thing to do. Wonder how much the other team will squeeze USD for to get out of the game? Still the problem remains is the game that USD needs to get into the playoffs is scheduled too late. Why would UCD reschedule the game to help USD? What benefit is it to them to take an open weekend (when you have time to rest and heal up) to help USD? What does that view from your rose-colored glasses say about that situation? All UCD has to do is say no and USD has no more options.

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2006, 09:14 PM
All UCD has to do is say no and USD has no more options.

Or they could lose and we could all move on.

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Wow, a lot of people really don't want USD to win out. Instead of... "Hey, look at USD.... they are playing well..." it's been nothing but knocking on the school, the players the schedule etc.

What is so wrong with playoff talk and any team from the PFL or NEC?

Need a refresher...
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=81397
WE THOUGHT WE KNEW IT ALL

We thought that best of the Northeast Conference, a limited-scholarship conference would crumble beneath four historic I-AA teams. Albany surely didn't have a chance travelling to Delaware of the Atlantic 10 and Lehigh of the Patriot League. Monmouth certainly will get crushed by Patriot League contender Colgate. And Central Connecticut State certainly couldn't hang with 6-time I-AA champion Georgia Southern of the SoCon. Not enough depth, we said. The NEC can't compete with these playoff conferences.

How does 4-0 sound? Albany 17, Lehigh 16. Albany 17, Delaware 10. Monmouth 17, Colgate 12. And Central Connecticut State 17, Georgia Southern 13. Four great teams dominated defensively by the limited-scholarship NEC. And what's really frightening is that neither of these three teams are leading the NEC conference race at this moment - that honor is bestowed on Joe Walton's Robert Morris Colonials and Chuck Priore's Stony Brook Seawolves, now at 2-0 in the conference. Albany, Central Connecticut State, and Monmouth all now have conference losses.

San Diego goes in and completely handles Yale at the Yale bowl.

Okay, back to hating the little schools...

FargoBison
October 10th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Wow, a lot of people really don't want USD to win out. Instead of... "Hey, look at USD.... they are playing well..." it's been nothing but knocking on the school, the players the schedule etc.

What is so wrong with playoff talk and any team from the PFL or NEC

Nothing is wrong with it as long as the team have a legit schedule, beating Yale is not going to get it done period.

As for wanting USD to lose, you guys have brought that on yourselves running your mouths about how great you are when you have beaten nobody. Your coach says your a top 15 team when you haven't even played or beaten a top 25 team. NDSU's coach would never make a statement like that unless his team has earned it on the field.

AggieFinn
October 10th, 2006, 10:46 PM
San Diego goes in and completely handles Yale at the Yale bowl.

Try completely handling Stanford in Palo Alto. Or Northwestern at Evanston? Or Indiana in Bloomington? Or scaring the crap outta Iowa State in Ames?

Look dude, there's nothing wrong with "talking" about it, but if you're someone making the decision on who plays in the I-AA playoffs, either USD who's beaten a bunch of piss-poor schools bottom feeding in I-AA, and has one "big" win over Top 40 Yale (no offense Yale), OR an 8-3 squad who has battled tough teams every week and beaten 8 solid schools in I-AA, who're you going to pick?

You earn the playoffs, and even when it feels like you earn it, you sometimes don't get selected, so quit posting about this. I will not reply to another USD thread this season unless USD shows up against UC Davis and plays a good game...then maybe. :cool:

Keeper
October 11th, 2006, 04:11 AM
And there you have it, my friends.
The divergent world of scholarship non-schorlarship
football in Division One, where potential playoff prizes
will further separate the powers and wanna-bees.
The NCAA will have to redefine the divisions in total
at some point in the near future. In the respect that
the Gridiron Classic might prevent a team from being
accepted into the NC playoffs, then the agreement
would not be fair to the voided school, but it was an
agreement with good intention, and all involved knew
of that in advance. If USD seriously thought they
had a shot at an invite, they should have scheduled
more wisely. The mid-major members know they are
in limbo-land between I-AA full scholly and D-II.
Expanded playoffs are not possible, which is why
some of the NEC teams are expanding scholarships
and moving up. While I am a sucker at heart for a
good underdog story and would like to see a mid-major
team get invited, the reality is that a team would have
to be ranked in the Top10 and be available for play,
and that is not likely to happen. Until then, you will
have your "mid-major poll", TSN awards and Classic game.
This is the hand you are dealt for accepting the schedule.
I would like to see all of Division I-AA at nearly the same
scholarship levels, so that the playing field would be more
level, and the playoff selection process would be simpler
and fairer.

Meanwhile, the "what-if" chat on this board is very entertaining.
Y'all throw some really good stuff, keep it up.

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I hope Drake beats USD, just to shut them up. :nonono2:

89Hen
October 11th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Good comments Keeper. BTW your rankings are interesting...

31 Yale 3-1
90 San Diego 5-0

Tailbone
October 11th, 2006, 10:12 AM

You have completely missed the reason as to why there is so much annoyance displayed by "a lot of people".

It's like hearing a 10 year old brother, who beat-up everyone in the fourth grade and even a fifth grader, now boasting about how he can go toe-to-toe with your college buddies. It's a joke...and after a while, very annoying. If there was better evidence than Yale that you "belonged" it might be different, but as of right now you don't and no amount of protestations to the contrary will change that. xidiotx

Prove it first, then boast.

89Hen
October 11th, 2006, 10:46 AM
You have completely missed the reason as to why there is so much annoyance displayed by "a lot of people".

It's like hearing a 10 year old brother, who beat-up everyone in the fourth grade and even a fifth grader, now boasting about how he can go toe-to-toe with your college buddies. It's a joke...and after a while, very annoying. If there was better evidence than Yale that you "belonged" it might be different, but as of right now you don't and no amount of protestations to the contrary will change that. xidiotx

:nod: :nod: :nod: There have been a lot of congratulations passed out this year to Albany, Stony Brook, Central Conn... fans. IMO Torero Tradition and DetroitFlyer have done more to hurt the general feeling about USD than their schedule did. People around here may have given them a pat on the back had they not begged for it.

Go Poly
October 11th, 2006, 10:49 AM
:nod: :nod: :nod: There have been a lot of congratulations passed out this year to Albany, Stony Brook, Central Conn... fans. IMO Torero Tradition and DetroitFlyer have done more to hurt the general feeling about USD than their schedule did. People around here may have given them a pat on the back had they not begged for it.

:nod: :nod: :nod: Stated very succinctly! No more needs to be said!xcoffeex

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 10:56 AM

First of all... I don't think anyone is boasting about the teams USD has beat up on this board. I have posted stats on USD to show how they rank in I-AA in statistical categories. What is wrong with discussion about a team on this board. I think there is a lot of good info in these threads and it is good for USD people, staff and administrators to readas well as non-scholarship I-AA fans in general. I'm pretty sure no Torero fans are coming on here saying "Your Team" sucks and "Your Team" shouldn't be considered for a playoff bid and I hope "Your Team" loses.

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Albany, Stony Brook and Central Conn fans should be congratulated. They have had some big wins this year. If those teams were undefeated, I think there would even be more talk about playoffs for those teams... and there might even be some before the season is all said and done. At least, those fans teams might be asking the same kinds of questions Torero fans have been asking... is there even a chance at the playoffs?

It is like trying to have a discussion about a non-scholly teams and the playoffs is forbidden for some people... and then they label you "annoying"

89Hen
October 11th, 2006, 11:06 AM
It is like trying to have a discussion about a non-scholly teams and the playoffs is forbidden for some people... and then they label you "annoying"
No, it's the dozen threads you've started that earn you that label. Discussion about non-scholly teams is absolutely fine by 99% of the people here. :nod:

downbythebeach
October 11th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I would like to see SD make the playoffs, but can't see it happening.

Albany, CCSU, and SBU could have went undefeated this year and still wouldn't have been selected. Remember after beating some of the traditional playoff teams it was still a fluke, and these teams they beat were according to most going to be in last place in their conference by seasons end. I remember someone after the game saying that CCSU would hypothetically finish last place in the SoCon this year. Not sure how that would be possible after being 1-0 in the conference, but that was the logic.

89Hen
October 11th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Albany, CCSU, and SBU could have went undefeated this year and still wouldn't have been selected.
:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nono: Cripes, is there a full moon today? Go back and read the posts. xcoffeex

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 11:25 AM
:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nono: Cripes, is there a full moon today? Go back and read the posts. xcoffeex

How do you know for a fact they still wouldn't have been selected?

downbythebeach
October 11th, 2006, 11:40 AM

I don't know for a fact that they wouldn't have been selected, and no one really knows (unless you live in a parallel universe:eek: ), but there was a pretty popular opinion that CCSU and Albany both coming off big wins did not deserve to be considered. There is a complete thread devoted to this on 9/16 I believe...check it out.

GannonFan
October 11th, 2006, 11:43 AM
How do you know for a fact they still wouldn't have been selected?

That's going to be your argument? "well, it didn't happen so it can't be fact so therefore it wouldn't have happened". That's just weak. Look at Coastal Carolina last year - they had probably a weaker schedule than Albany did this year, yet according to pretty much everybody they were a lock to make the playoffs before their baffling loss to Charleston Southern in the last game of the year. A 10-1 Coastal team was a lock to make the playoffs. Therefore, it's not hard to follow the logic that an 11-0 Albany team, with a better schedule, would be even more of a lock for the playoffs. It think you'd struggle to find someone who wouldn't think an 11-0 Albany team would be a lock for the playoffs (heck, 10-1 and they were in very good shape as well).

Dane96
October 11th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Right on Gannonfan!!!

Actually Downbythebeach, that wasnt the popular opinion, despite your bolded comments.

The popular opinion was that it was possible but not probable. If UA HAD gone undefeated with that schedule...it was, IMHO, 60-40 they would get in.

Possible, but not probable, is much different "still woudn't be selected", which is an absolute comment with no wavering. I dont think you would find 100% of the people on the board who would have said an 11-0 UA team would absolutely NOT get consideration.

Sigh, sadly, this is no longer the case for the Great Danes. We fight on...and hope to win the NEC, rep the NEC in the GC, replace some impt athletes and lace 'em next year to try and gain some more respect.

89Hen
October 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I don't know for a fact that they wouldn't have been selected, and no one really knows (unless you live in a parallel universe:eek: ), but there was a pretty popular opinion that CCSU and Albany both coming off big wins did not deserve to be considered. There is a complete thread devoted to this on 9/16 I believe...check it out.

I guess I'm just not seeing the hate except for the first couple...

MplsBison - My answer: no. If UA or CCSU played in the A10, they'd be 5-6.

I-AAFan - Those are big time wins? Sorry, but not in 2006. No play-off.

MaineJeff - Probably not, but the winner deserves consideration.....

Colgate13 - IF either Albany or CCSU runs the table from here on out, no question in my mind that they deserve to be in the playoffs.

Saint333 - Let's see what Delaware and/or GSU does as well. Remember what JMU did after the loss to CCU... not much.

JALMOND - Albany goes undefeated, I'd give them a nod.
C Conn goes undeafeated, I'd say not enough, unless GSU wins the SoCon.

GeauxColonels - I think at the end of the year, the selection committee will have to sit down and give consideration to an undefeated Albany or CCSU, looking at their other wins as well as the quality of ALL the teams which they beat.

TheValleyRaider - Albany definately. CCSU should get consideration, but but i think there's a bit of difference when comparing Marist, Southern Connecticut and St. Peter's to Lehigh, Fordham, Delaware, and Cornell. Just my thoughts.

JohnStOnge - Don't know. But, as was the case with the Coastal Carolina situation last year, I think it'd be interesting to have a team from one of the conferences "on the outside" get in so we can see how they do.

dbackjon - the NEC is making great strides... Too early to speculate on whether they deserve an at-large bid - too many games to play!!

GannonFan - we won't know how good these wins are, from a playoff worthy aspect, until the season is close to being over. CC St has it pretty tough because outside of GSU, the OOC slate is pretty bare. Albany has the best shot, but now they have to hope that Lehigh and Delaware turn their seasons around and at least be .500 teams

LUHawker - Ultimately, if UAlbany actually wins out and posts a 10-1 record, I think they have a legitimate shot at a bid, but it will only happen if there aren't other worthy contenders from playoff conferences.

ChickenMan - Maybe... but that one loss was to an apparently really bad Fordham team who was beaten soundly by Monmouth and completely blown out by Columbia.

89Hen - wait until the games are played before pretending to know what the right answer is and what people will be saying

Putter - Albany did go in a beat you at home so to me that counts for something and if they continue to roll, they should be rewarded for that at the end of the year.

UD1993 - IMHO- If CCSU wins out they should be in the playoffs. If Albany wins out, I'd say they would be the last team in or 1st team out. (Sadly, the Fordham L may hurt.) They have scheduled the tough teams and have beaten them in the regular season. Let's see how they do in the playoffs.

ysubigred
October 11th, 2006, 02:54 PM
:twocents: I'm not sure if this has been said, (too boring to read the whole thread) BUT: If your team is not playoff eligible you should not get a rank in any of these so called polls. I don't care if SD could/can beat the Indy Colts!! NO RANKING! NO PLAYOFFS! untill the schedule reflects playoff caliber/quality oponents. :deadhorse:

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 03:01 PM
All teams in the NEC and PFL are playoff eligible teams

ToreroTime
October 11th, 2006, 03:01 PM
The top 25 ranking has nothing to do with the playoffs. Are you saying that no IVY league schools or NEC schools should be ranked as well. Polls are just votes by coaches and other I-AA followers who want to compare teams. Its up to the selection committee to come up with the 8 at large teams, not theese polls.

ysubigred
October 11th, 2006, 03:22 PM
The top 25 ranking has nothing to do with the playoffs. Are you saying that no IVY league schools or NEC schools should be ranked as well. Polls are just votes by coaches and other I-AA followers who want to compare teams. Its up to the selection committee to come up with the 8 at large teams, not theese polls.

Yes.

NO RANKING! NO PLAYOFFS! untill the schedule reflects playoff caliber/quality oponents.

Tailbone
October 11th, 2006, 06:07 PM
..... I'm pretty sure no Torero fans are coming on here saying "Your Team" sucks and "Your Team" shouldn't be considered for a playoff bid and I hope "Your Team" loses.

Perhaps not, but YOUR COACH is making a facsimile of those statements in the press!

“I can't imagine that half of those other teams in the Top 25 are better than we are.” xidiotx

JohnStOnge
October 11th, 2006, 06:15 PM

Just as a reminder of how tough it is when the playoff committee perceives the overall schedule as weak, I'll refer back to the 1999 Elon team. It went 9-2, including 2-1 against teams that did make the I-AA playoffs. It beat Southern Conference co champ Furman and blew out MEAC champion North Carolina A&T by 40 - 7.

No playoffs.

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Just as a reminder of how tough it is when the playoff committee perceives the overall schedule as weak, I'll refer back to the 1999 Elon team. It went 9-2, including 2-1 against teams that did make the I-AA playoffs. It beat Southern Conference co champ Furman and blew out MEAC champion North Carolina A&T by 40 - 7.

No playoffs.

I would agree that the coach is making ill advised statements. Was he quoted correctly? Maybe he's just trying to ruffle feathers and get attention? I'll agree JohnStOnge, plenty of reminders of great teams who haven't made it in. What was Elons final ranking that year... you know?

JohnStOnge
October 11th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I would agree that the coach is making ill advised statements. Was he quoted correctly? Maybe he's just trying to ruffle feathers and get attention? I'll agree JohnStOnge, plenty of reminders of great teams who haven't made it in. What was Elons final ranking that year... you know?

Don't know what their final poll ranking was, but I do know that they finished 11th in the Sagarin ratings (if I'm counting right that's where San Diego is in that ratings system right now). I remember thinking at the time that their record of accomplishment that season looked better to me than some of the at large selections that did make it.

gophoenix
October 11th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Our Final poll rankings were 18 in the SN and 21 in the USA Today.

Problem was, we played two D-II teams. New Haven who was #12 (20-16) that year and North Alabama who was #15 (35-15), both were wins. And played 1 non-scholarship school in Morehead State (41-6).

Went 2-1 againts playoff teams; Hofstra (27-38), Furman (24-22), A&T (41-7).

Played other ranked teams of Western Illinois (14-20), Samford (34-31).

Another example would be Liberty from 1997 that went 9-2.
Beat two DII schools (weaker DII schools), beat a transition Elon team 41-9, beat Appalachian St 25-19 and lost to a ranked Hofstra 27-40 and beat a ranked Cal Poly 49-32.

Another example would be 10-1 Cal Poly from 1997. Beat D-II power UC Davis 20-19, (beat another D-II wub D-I teams), beat New Mexico State, lost to a ranked Liberty, beat Montana St, UNI and Sacramento St.

San Diego plays two "schoalrship level" I-AA programs in UC Davis and Yale, plays two sub-DI teams, and then 7 weak non-scholarship schools. NO CHANCE given the history of others that haven't made it.

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Our Final poll rankings were 18 in the SN and 21 in the USA Today.

Problem was, we played two D-II teams. New Haven who was #12 (20-16) that year and North Alabama who was #15 (35-15), both were wins. And played 1 non-scholarship school in Morehead State (41-6).

Went 2-1 againts playoff teams; Hofstra (27-38), Furman (24-22), A&T (41-7).

Played other ranked teams of Western Illinois (14-20), Samford (34-31).

Beat two DII schools (weaker DII schools), beat a transition Elon team 41-9, beat Appalachian St 25-19 and lost to a ranked Hofstra 27-40 and beat a ranked Cal Poly 49-32.

Another example would be 10-1 Cal Poly from 1997. Beat D-II power UC Davis 20-19, (beat another D-II wub D-I teams), beat New Mexico State, lost to a ranked Liberty, beat Montana St, UNI and Sacramento St.

San Diego plays two "schoalrship level" I-AA programs in UC Davis and Yale, plays two sub-DI teams, and then 7 weak non-scholarship schools. NO CHANCE given the history of others that haven't made it.

NOW that jumps out to me

Tileguy
October 12th, 2006, 06:19 AM
[more wisely. The mid-major members know they are
in limbo-land between I-AA full scholly and D-II.
Expanded playoffs are not possible, which is why
some of the NEC teams are expanding scholarships
and moving up. .

Meanwhile, the "what-if" chat on this board is very entertaining.
Y'all throw some really good stuff, keep it up.[/QUOTE]

Well said, NEC and PFL are better off consentrating on the Bowl game and using it and schollys (NEC) to recruit better players and then schedual tougher teams. Do that, then talk playoffs. The NEC top teams are working at it, the PFL has to follow if they want any playoff consideration. Lets see what happens to USD if they come east and play in the classic. At least NEC & PFL schools have a chance at some post season play, unlike the MAAC schools. I think all 1AA schools deserve the same consideration for the playoffs, but part of the reason to get in is strenth of sched. If you don't sched. toughteams and win you don't get in. NEC teams have done great this year and I belive that CCSU and Albany have done that. If any MM school should get a look CCSU if they win out in the same fashion has a better chance then USD. But lets just be happy that the bowl game exsists for our players. Look foward to seeing this USD team come east. Will be at that game for sure. Bring your gloves and hats, it could be BURRRRRRRR chilly.

89Hen
October 12th, 2006, 08:21 AM

There was really no case for Liberty in 1997 given the strong field that year (no matter what MrC says). Also, I don't think Cal Poly was even eligible for the playoffs in 1997. Even if they were, they only had 6 DI wins.

GannonFan
October 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM

No playoffs.

Was Elon even eligible that year? That was their first I-AA year - when did the NCAA-imposed transition rules (like what keeps the majority of Great West teams out until 2008) begin?

DUPFLFan
October 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Tileguy - I fully agree with you.

YoUDeeMan
October 12th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I guess I'm just not seeing the hate except for the first couple...

MplsBison - My answer: no. If UA or CCSU played in the A10, they'd be 5-6.

I-AAFan - Those are big time wins? Sorry, but not in 2006. No play-off.

MaineJeff - Probably not, but the winner deserves consideration.....

Colgate13 - IF either Albany or CCSU runs the table from here on out, no question in my mind that they deserve to be in the playoffs.

Saint333 - Let's see what Delaware and/or GSU does as well. Remember what JMU did after the loss to CCU... not much.

JALMOND - Albany goes undefeated, I'd give them a nod.
C Conn goes undeafeated, I'd say not enough, unless GSU wins the SoCon.

GeauxColonels - I think at the end of the year, the selection committee will have to sit down and give consideration to an undefeated Albany or CCSU, looking at their other wins as well as the quality of ALL the teams which they beat.

TheValleyRaider - Albany definately. CCSU should get consideration, but but i think there's a bit of difference when comparing Marist, Southern Connecticut and St. Peter's to Lehigh, Fordham, Delaware, and Cornell. Just my thoughts.

JohnStOnge - Don't know. But, as was the case with the Coastal Carolina situation last year, I think it'd be interesting to have a team from one of the conferences "on the outside" get in so we can see how they do.

dbackjon - the NEC is making great strides... Too early to speculate on whether they deserve an at-large bid - too many games to play!!

GannonFan - we won't know how good these wins are, from a playoff worthy aspect, until the season is close to being over. CC St has it pretty tough because outside of GSU, the OOC slate is pretty bare. Albany has the best shot, but now they have to hope that Lehigh and Delaware turn their seasons around and at least be .500 teams

LUHawker - Ultimately, if UAlbany actually wins out and posts a 10-1 record, I think they have a legitimate shot at a bid, but it will only happen if there aren't other worthy contenders from playoff conferences.

ChickenMan - Maybe... but that one loss was to an apparently really bad Fordham team who was beaten soundly by Monmouth and completely blown out by Columbia.

89Hen - wait until the games are played before pretending to know what the right answer is and what people will be saying

Putter - Albany did go in a beat you at home so to me that counts for something and if they continue to roll, they should be rewarded for that at the end of the year.

UD1993 - IMHO- If CCSU wins out they should be in the playoffs. If Albany wins out, I'd say they would be the last team in or 1st team out. (Sadly, the Fordham L may hurt.) They have scheduled the tough teams and have beaten them in the regular season. Let's see how they do in the playoffs.

There you go again, 89Hen. Using logic and facts to back up your statements. That is sooooooooooooo unfair! :nod:

gophoenix
October 12th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Was Elon even eligible that year? That was their first I-AA year - when did the NCAA-imposed transition rules (like what keeps the majority of Great West teams out until 2008) begin?

Elon was eligible that year. Transition was 1997-1998, just two years back then.

There was really no case for Liberty in 1997 given the strong field that year (no matter what MrC says).

Probably so, but just proves that a team as strong as Liberty that year didn't make it with that much stronger schedule than San Diego has this year, or Davidson in 2000, and so on.

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Everyone says this subject is getting old, yet you all keep talking about it. I know, and you all know, that USD will not make the playoffs this year, and probably not for a couple more years. They are headed in the right direction though. I remeber when USD couldn't even beat Dayton, and now they have accomplished that. The step after Dayton was beating an Ivy League team. Now USD has it's eyes set on beating a scholly team. Everything is set in place for this to happen in the near future.

GannonFan
October 12th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Everything is set in place for this to happen in the near future.

Really? What improvements in the schedule are planned then, since that's what's holding them back now?

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Well UC-Davis this year, and hopefully more GWFC teams next year. All I am saying is they are moving in the right direction. Progress can be seen over the past couple of years. The fact that they are even being discussed on this board says a lot. I know a few years ago they wouldn't have even been an after thought.

89Hen
October 12th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Everything is set in place for this to happen in the near future.
You mean the ball is in USD's court. Only USD can make it happen by scheduling better teams.

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Exactly.... USD needs a stronger schedule. We all can agree on that.

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM
A nice schedule would include Cal Poly, UC-Davis, Northern Arizona, and maybe Sac State. That would be a good start for the Toreros, plus it would cut down on the traveling expenses.

October 12th, 2006, 01:25 PM
A nice schedule would include Cal Poly, UC-Davis, Northern Arizona, and maybe Sac State. That would be a good start for the Toreros, plus it would cut down on the traveling expenses.Now beating that sched would be bulletproof. There's a good reason CP was indy all those years... :nod:

JALMOND
October 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM
A nice schedule would include Cal Poly, UC-Davis, Northern Arizona, and maybe Sac State. That would be a good start for the Toreros, plus it would cut down on the traveling expenses.

Don't forget Portland State. You all play in the WCC in other sports which means those team comes to Portland in the winter (U of Portland also WCC). The Portland Beavers are the AAA affiliate to the Padres so we train a lot of top notch recruits for you right below the major league level. Lots of things in common between San Diego and Portland (doesn't Bill Walton have a home in San Diego?).

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Portland State would be another good game. I guess the point is that there are plenty of games here in the west. Now it is just a matter of USD scheduling them. The other obstacle to overcome is whether these higher caliber schools will even want to schedule USD. A victory against USD may not be very impressive as far as votes for play-offs.

GannonFan
October 12th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Portland State would be another good game. I guess the point is that there are plenty of games here in the west. Now it is just a matter of USD scheduling them. The other obstacle to overcome is whether these higher caliber schools will even want to schedule USD. A victory against USD may not be very impressive as far as votes for play-offs.

Well, so far most of the Great West still isn't eligible for the playoffs due to the transition so for another few years that won't be a problem. And if the NEC or Big South is any proof, it shouldn't be a problem either. Teams like CCSU, Albany, Monmouth, Coastal Carolina, etc have been able to play highly ranked teams, at home even, for years and have future schedules with those types of games as well.

Mr. C
October 12th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Lots of things in common between San Diego and Portland (doesn't Bill Walton have a home in San Diego?).
Bill Walton grew up in the San Diego area.

Torero Tradition
October 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Bill comes to USD on occasion to watch a college hoops game. He's a San Diego boy, and his sons went to high school here.

Torero Tradition
October 12th, 2006, 02:55 PM

A nicer schedule would be conference games against Cal Poly, UC-Davis, etc. :hurray:

USD is indeed heading in the right direction. But at some point they need to make a decision, stay non-scholarship and compete in the PFL or put some money into the program and go for it.

Regular games against San Diego State aren't too far off in my opinion with a little bit of luck. ;)

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Regular games against San Diego State aren't too far off in my opinion with a little bit of luck. ;)

That would be the ultimate game. USD and SDSU hate eachother. There is already a heated b-ball battle each year. A football one played in Qualcom stadium would be even better. At least 40,000 would show for that game.

Torero Tradition
October 16th, 2006, 11:56 PM
That game can only happen if and when USD offers football scholarships. Hopefully it won't turn out like Miami and FIU. Those campuses are only separated by about 9 miles as well.

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I don't think games turn out like that unless they involve Miami or at least an ACC team.

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2006, 11:59 PM
It was Clemson last year, right?

Dane96
October 17th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Clemson-USC

Torero Tradition
October 17th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Miami was also involved with Louisville earlier this year...

have there been many I-AA incidents like this.... wasn't WKU involved in something a few years back?

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2006, 12:31 AM
I don't recall any I-AA incidents. UNI players were jumping up and down after the win at UNH in the playoffs. Hard to tell if they wer disrespecting the logo or just excited. My guess is there were probably some players doing a little of the prior. :nonono2:

BigApp
October 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM
ahhh, a San Diego discussion...

89Hen
October 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM
at least an ACC team.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

89Hen
October 17th, 2006, 11:33 AM
have there been many I-AA incidents like this.... wasn't WKU involved in something a few years back?
It was after the WKU/WIU playoff game in the 2002. WIU had beaten WKU in the regular season but WKU won the playoff game. The other incident that sticks out, but thankfully didn't turn into a fight, was the guy punching the Montana player in the nuts. Griz fans, who was that against?

GOTOREROS
October 17th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Article on USD AD who seems to be have worked out a way for USD to participate in the playoffs IF selected. Notice I said IF not WHEN...

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/articles/2006/10/10/opinion/01shanbaugh.txt

GOTOREREOS

NorthDakotaBison
October 17th, 2006, 12:44 PM
you think you're going to be selected when you have a game scheduled?

you guys must really be on something

http://offthekuff.com/blog/misc/HenryChickenhawk.jpg

GOTOREROS
October 17th, 2006, 12:54 PM
you think you're going to be selected when you have a game scheduled?

you guys must really be on something

http://offthekuff.com/blog/misc/HenryChickenhawk.jpg

What part of "IF" did you not understand? They should start a reading comprehension class here on AGS for some of the members...

Nowhere in the post did anyone say "WHEN"......jeez.:rolleyes:

GOTOREROS

NorthDakotaBison
October 17th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I can read just fine, thanks for the concern.

I think that it is ridiculous to believe that the playoff selection committee is going to give USD a spot pending their ability to get out of the GI Classic and their game with Davis.

AggiePride
October 17th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I can read just fine, thanks for the concern.

I think that it is ridiculous to believe that the playoff selection committee is going to give USD a spot pending their ability to get out of the GI Classic and their game with Davis.

And around in circles we go.

You forgot the part where their cream puff schedule would exclude them regardless of IF they dropped both games.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2006, 06:45 PM
It was after the WKU/WIU playoff game in the 2002. WIU had beaten WKU in the regular season but WKU won the playoff game. The other incident that sticks out, but thankfully didn't turn into a fight, was the guy punching the Montana player in the nuts. Griz fans, who was that against?

That was Mike Furrey of the Detroit Lions, a former UNI Panther WR.