PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology

FargoBison
November 16th, 2013, 11:14 PM
My projected bracket...rip away....

Butler(PFL) at Bethune-Cookman(MEAC) vs 1. NDSU(11-0)
SUU(8-4) at SHSU(9-3) 8. NAU(9-2)
Sacred Heart(NEC) at Fordham(11-1) vs 4. Maine(11-1)
Lehigh(Patriot) at YSU(8-4) vs 5. Towson(10-2)

Furman(SoCon) at Tenn State(9-3) 2. EIU(11-1)
William and Mary(8-4) at CCU(Big South) vs 7. McNeese St(10-2)
Samford(8-4) at SCSU(9-3) vs 6. SELA(10-2)
SDSU(8-4) at Montana(10-2) vs 3. EWU(10-2)

Bubble burst:
Delaware(7-5)
Chatty(8-4)
UNI(7-5)
Montana State(7-5)
CSU(10-3)
Liberty(8-4)
Jax State(9-3)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2013, 11:20 PM
IF Lehigh wins next week I think they have a shot at a home game. Their attendance will be just good enough and there's not a lot of competition in the region. It might take Fordham getting a seed though. Sacred Heart at Lehigh makes a lot of sense....

FargoBison
November 16th, 2013, 11:35 PM
IF Lehigh wins next week I think they have a shot at a home game. Their attendance will be just good enough and there's not a lot of competition in the region. It might take Fordham getting a seed though. Sacred Heart at Lehigh makes a lot of sense....

I can agree with that, with Fordham seeded SHU at Lehigh is a very likely match up. I had Fordham in the mix to get seeded, NAU just had a few more quality wins and a better SOS so they got the nod.

hebmskebm
November 16th, 2013, 11:40 PM
You really think 8-4 YSU w/ 3 straight losses gets in? I think next weeks SDSU/YSU is a win or go home situation for both teams.

BEAR
November 16th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Did Sam lose their shot at the playoffs with the loss tonight?! #4 in the nation and they won't win the SLC and do they have enough division I wins to even make the playoffs?

thebootfitter
November 16th, 2013, 11:45 PM
You really think 8-4 YSU w/ 3 straight losses gets in? I think next weeks SDSU/YSU is a win or go home situation for both teams.
For the bunnies, for sure. YSU at 8-4 still has a shot, in my opinion, just based on the perceived strength of the MVFC in the polls and by the computers.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2013, 11:51 PM

Yes, based on how I projected things to play out. But they aren't exactly on solid ground at 8-4.

dbackjon
November 16th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Except YSU had a weak weak OOC schedule

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Lehigh

Lehigh

Lehigh

xsmhx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2013, 11:58 PM

I was dead wrong on YSU. I had them ranked #5 after last weeks loss. My justification was it being their first FCS loss and suffering a roadie L isn't a "bad" thing sometimes imo. However, they seem to be led by an idiot. When that's the case you simply don't have a chance. I actually saw them in person go into the Fargo Dome and beat NDSU two years ago. That was their "shining moment" under this regime....

YSU would be a good first round opponent for LU. It would definitely be a winnable game.

Where would Lafayette head? CCU?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 12:00 AM
xsmhx

I always say IF...I take nothing, NOTHING, for granted...

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2013, 12:03 AM
I always say IF...I take nothing, NOTHING, for granted...

And it's Lafayette-Lehigh week . . . and I shall be relentless on AGS, everywhere, and at every opportunity.

This counts. You are forewarned. xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 12:18 AM
And it's Lafayette-Lehigh week . . . and I shall be relentless on AGS, everywhere, and at every opportunity.

This counts. You are forewarned. xnodx

LOL, well Pappa Owly might not like this but I really have nothing against LC. With that said, I've learned to root like hell against you guys for one fall Saturday. So next Saturday you'll be enemy #1. For the other 364 it's Villanova....

Honestly, Colgate is the team that bugs me. The only reason is Biddle's refusal to push the program forward. I'm convinced he only cares about winning the league. They can schedule whoever the want but when you lose by 30 every time it become laughable. More importantly, it does nothing to help the leagues perception.

Lafayette has always represented the league well against better competition.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 01:45 AM
My seeds, assuming the favorites win and Nebrich returns for Fordham....

#1 NDSU
#2 EIU
#3 EWU
#4 Maine
#5 SELA
#6 Towson
#7 Fordham
#8 NAU

Tealblood
November 17th, 2013, 06:33 AM
CSU is in as autobid if they beat Liberty in charleston

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Did Sam lose their shot at the playoffs with the loss tonight?! #4 in the nation and they won't win the SLC and do they have enough division I wins to even make the playoffs?

If SHSU beats UCA next week, they have the NCAA Division I wins. The issue at hand is QB Brian Bell may be lost for the season, which could make a win at UCA and/or a run in the postseason very difficult for the Bearkats.

TigerFen
November 17th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Here's something to consider with At Large bids from looking at the AGS Top 25 in your Bracketology. Just looking at the FCS Top 25 you have 21 out of the 25 teams with 7 or more Division I wins that can qualify. (Didn't count Princeton in that or it would be 22). Six teams outside the Top 25 have seven or more wins and Five more including those outside the Top 25 can win to get 7 next week. That means you have a possible pool of 32 above seven win teams to choose 24 teams for the playoffs.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Sports Network Bracketology....

Tenn State at Montana State vs 1. NDSU
Charleston Southern at Furman vs 8. NAU
Bethune-Cookman @Coastal Carolina 5. SELA
Butler/Marist at Fordham vs 4. Maine

Sacred Heart at William and Mary vs #3 EWU
Samford at SCSU vs 6. Towson
SDSU at Montana vs 7. McNeese St
Lehigh at SHSU vs 2. EIU

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 09:08 AM

With Bell possibly out and a game against your Bears, the outlook doesn't seem bright.

Gil Dobie
November 17th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Too bad about Montana St, I was hoping for them to show up in Fargo for a second round game.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 09:18 AM
If SHSU beats UCA next week, they have the NCAA Division I wins. The issue at hand is QB Brian Bell may be lost for the season, which could make a win at UCA and/or a run in the postseason very difficult for the Bearkats.

Can somebody clarify this? I have heard that this year SOS is what determines playoff eligibility.

jacksfan29
November 17th, 2013, 09:29 AM

The three straight would be to a UNI team that pummeled McNeese and only fell apart after facing NDSU. Oddly enough that is something that has happened to a lot of MVFC teams this year. The same happened to my Jacks. I'm not sure a lot of people outside the Valley really understand the physical nature of facing NDSU this year. The other two losses would be to #1 NDSU; enough said, and a ranked SDSU who seem to have "righted" the ship after getting a week off and physically healing.

YSU gets in, even with a loss to SDSU based on the conference they play in. If not, who gets the spot? An OVC school? Patriot? SUU? What puts SUU in? The win over Ft. Lewis or South Alabama or is it the win over an overrated MSU team? Seriously? That said, not sure it matters. In looking at the projected seeds it would seem that there may be no one in the upper portion of the playoff field who can come within 3 scores of NDSU. In fact, if SDSU wins out and gets in the most difficult game NDSU may play would be in the 2nd against SDSU. Not because we are at the Bison level right now, but because it is a rivalry. Who else give the Bison a game? EWU, NAU, EIU, Maine, McNeese? Nope. All will get manhandled by a nasty NDSU defense.

fmrbearkat
November 17th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Can somebody clarify this? I have heard that this year SOS is what determines playoff eligibility.

Our SOS is not weak at all! We played FBS top 10 (A&M), FCS #3 EWU, FCS top 10 (tomorrows poll) SELA, FCS top 10 (tomorrows poll) McNeese. The only SOS I've really found has us at number 26. Now I don't know what the new fcs formula really is but that's 4 dang tough games and we didnt get blown out in any of them other than A&M and I feel we had a pretty good showing against them being down by only 9 in the 3rd qtr. Now if we can win next week I agree that we back in and have to play a first round game and then hit the road but if we in fact don't get Bell back we are in trouble.

IMO our starting qb next year is John Roderique who is red shirting this year. Don King III did not look good yesterday and will probably be our backup next year. Jared Johnson did look really good yesterday. With some more experience next week he could shock us all!! Had some zip on the ball and is one of the smoothest athletes I've ever seen at shsu. He had a scholarship to Oregon out of high school but decided late to stay home and go to Baylor. Due to some snafu's (baylor had given his ship away when he committed to Oregon) and he got embarrassed and didn't tell his high school coaches so they didnt get his name back out there and we ended up with him. If he shows promise over the next few games he will be the starter but if not he will replace Sincere and be alot bigger threat throwing the ball in the bearkat with Roderique starting!

Due to lack of real experience I still don't think we go very far at all without Bell!!

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5284898

CSU18
November 17th, 2013, 10:00 AM
I would expect Charleston Southern to bounce back next weekend - I'd love to see them play Furman in the 1st round.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 10:08 AM
True, but the weak schedule argument works against NAU getting a seed too, especially if they don't win at SUU.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 10:09 AM

see above

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 10:11 AM
didn't say it was - you didn't answer my question

clenz
November 17th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Our SOS is not weak at all! We played FBS top 10 (A&M), FCS #3 EWU, FCS top 10 (tomorrows poll) SELA, FCS top 10 (tomorrows poll) McNeese. The only SOS I've really found has us at number 26. Now I don't know what the new fcs formula really is but that's 4 dang tough games and we didnt get blown out in any of them other than A&M and I feel we had a pretty good showing against them being down by only 9 in the 3rd qtr. Now if we can win next week I agree that we back in and have to play a first round game and then hit the road but if we in fact don't get Bell back we are in trouble.

IMO our starting qb next year is John Roderique who is red shirting this year. Don King III did not look good yesterday and will probably be our backup next year. Jared Johnson did look really good yesterday. With some more experience next week he could shock us all!! Had some zip on the ball and is one of the smoothest athletes I've ever seen at shsu. He had a scholarship to Oregon out of high school but decided late to stay home and go to Baylor. Due to some snafu's (baylor had given his ship away when he committed to Oregon) and he got embarrassed and didn't tell his high school coaches so they didnt get his name back out there and we ended up with him. If he shows promise over the next few games he will be the starter but if not he will replace Sincere and be alot bigger threat throwing the ball in the bearkat with Roderique starting!

Due to lack of real experience I still don't think we go very far at all without Bell!!

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5284898How did you do against that tough SOS?

RabidRabbit
November 17th, 2013, 10:45 AM

#1 NDSU
#2 EIU
#3 EWU
#4 Maine
#5 SELA
#6 Towson
#7 Fordham
#8 NAU

The 7th and 8th seed should come down to 3 teams assuming all three win next week. The two listed, and McNeese St. I'd put McNeese's blow out of USF (FBS) and SHSU beatdown - blow-out loss to an uninjured UNI and SELA loss as better than NAU wins - losses or Fordham's loss to Lafayette, Fordham has the 3 "good wins" ('Nova, Temple (FBS), Lehigh).

Very happy that SELA game vs Rabbits was early in season, don't think we'd have seen a Rabbit win in Nov vs Lions.

Congrats to SELA on wrapping up the auto-bid in a tough Southland this season.

kalm
November 17th, 2013, 10:55 AM
The three straight would be to a UNI team that pummeled McNeese and only fell apart after facing NDSU. Oddly enough that is something that has happened to a lot of MVFC teams this year. The same happened to my Jacks. I'm not sure a lot of people outside the Valley really understand the physical nature of facing NDSU this year. The other two losses would be to #1 NDSU; enough said, and a ranked SDSU who seem to have "righted" the ship after getting a week off and physically healing.

YSU gets in, even with a loss to SDSU based on the conference they play in. If not, who gets the spot? An OVC school? Patriot? SUU? What puts SUU in? The win over Ft. Lewis or South Alabama or is it the win over an overrated MSU team? Seriously? That said, not sure it matters. In looking at the projected seeds it would seem that there may be no one in the upper portion of the playoff field who can come within 3 scores of NDSU. In fact, if SDSU wins out and gets in the most difficult game NDSU may play would be in the 2nd against SDSU. Not because we are at the Bison level right now, but because it is a rivalry. Who else give the Bison a game? EWU, NAU, EIU, Maine, McNeese? Nope. All will get manhandled by a nasty NDSU defense.

When is the coronation?

UNH72Plus
November 17th, 2013, 11:02 AM
If UNH can pull out an upset win at home over Maine, they will end the season at 7-4 with six wins in their last seven games, a win over a top 10 team, 3 loss to top 25 teams, and a 3 point loss to an FBS (albeit a mediocre) team. That certainly beats a five loss Furman team, and a probable five loss SDSU team. Granted, a win over Maine is a bit of a stretch, but UNH's record and statistics versus Maine's, against mutual opponents, are pretty comparable. I think UNH's SOS is better than many of the other four loss schools.

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2013, 11:03 AM
What does everyone think UNH's chances of getting in at 7-4 are if they beat Maine?

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 11:13 AM
If UNH can pull out an upset win at home over Maine, they will end the season at 7-4 with six wins in their last seven games, a win over a top 10 team, 3 loss to top 25 teams, and a 3 point loss to an FBS (albeit a mediocre) team. That certainly beats a five loss Furman team, and a probable five loss SDSU team. Granted, a win over Maine is a bit of a stretch, but UNH's record and statistics versus Maine's, against mutual opponents, are pretty comparable. I think UNH's SOS is better than many of the other four loss schools.

Furman has no chance at an at-large, and has playoff odds only through the SoCon autobid. UNH would be in decent shape with a win against Maine.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 11:13 AM

I don't want to see the Jacks for our 1st game. More than likely that is what will happen, easy bus ride just like last year.

Watching some of these other teams on Fox Sports or ESPN, the only team that I think that would give the Bison a good run is Towson just because they are well balanced on offense. A spread team like EIU and Maine will get eaten alive by the Bison defense. EWU might give the Bison some trouble cus VA is athletic and can run around and move the chains. Plus, SDSU if they are healthy can give the Bison a game just cus they know each other so well.

YSU is a total 'paper tiger' this year. If the Bison did not have those mistakes yesterday that game would have been 56-10 or something like that. If UNI was healthy they would be a scary team in the playoffs.

What makes me smile is that the Bison defense had 2 very good starters out and the defense did not lose a beat. YSU's coach said, and I agree with him, that NDSU 2nds are better than most everyone else's starters.

An 8-4 Jacks team is definitely in but will probably have to go to Montana or NAU...maybe Montana State but IMO, they are out of the playoff picture cus they will get beat by the Griz.

IMO, the only team that will beat the Bison is themselves this year. The O-line is just crushing defenses and by the 3rd and 4th quarters teams are worn out. Plus the Bison offense is better this year compared to the last two years and that makes the defense better also.

Looks like NDSU is in for sure and SDSU if they win at YSU. YSU still might get in at 8-4 and even a 7-5 UNI team might get some consideration with their Iowa State win and other teams losing next week....they need some help.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 11:14 AM
What does everyone think UNH's chances of getting in at 7-4 are if they beat Maine?

Real good chance if they win that one.

IaaScribe
November 17th, 2013, 11:14 AM
I think UNH is a lock if it beats Maine.

Looking at TSN's projections ... South Carolina State? Really? I know the committee seems to love them some MEAC, but SCSU's only win over a team with a winning record came by five points against 6-4 North Carolina A&T. Too many deserving teams out there for SCSU to be getting consideration.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 11:19 AM
When is the coronation?

On Jan 4th....xnodx

I hope EWU/NDSU get matched up cus I want to see VA in person and how our defense can slow him down. The big question mark in this potential match up is the EWU defense and if they can stop the Bison offense. The Bison D will get their stops but the EWU defense IMO, cannot consistently stop the Bison offense.

In this potential game, EWU wins if they can turn it into a track meet. If the Bison can ground and pound the TOP it will be a Bison win.

Like I said, the only teams that have a shot at the Bison this year are:

Towson
EWU
SDSU -- for the simple fact they know the Bison so well

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Eastern Illinois is legit. Maybe the best offense in FCS history, along with 1999 Georgia Southern. Lots of people sleeping on them right now.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Eastern Illinois is legit. Maybe the best offense in FCS history, along with 1999 Georgia Southern. Lots of people sleeping on them right now.

That offense was good because it had Adrian Peterson. Apples and oranges.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Better than Marshall with Randy Moss?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Yes, EIU's offense is really good but all they do is try to outscore people and that works in the OVC. I hope NDSU would get matched up with them cus the Bison would take it to them. Plus EIU would have to play defense against the Bison and I don't think they can stop them. If EIU's offense is not on the field they cannot score.

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Better than Marshall with Randy Moss?

I said "maybe" because it's so subjective. But I think quite possibly yes, though that Marshall team had a tremendous defense as well. In a lot of games EIU has let up late in the contest because it was already over - in the first quarter they are outscoring opponents 199-38. They scored 40 against a decent San Diego St team and 39 against 10-0 Northern Illinois.

NDSU would be the favorite in that matchup but I don't think they can shut down EIU. Only a handful of elite FBS teams could be confident of that.

FordhamFan
November 17th, 2013, 11:58 AM
A spread team like EIU and Maine will get eaten alive by the Bison defense.

I just want to know what this is based off of? Like, is it actually impossible for a spread team to play well against NDSU's defense? Like it won't happen? Why is that? Just curious because I've only seen like two NDSU games this year.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I just want to know what this is based off of? Like, is it actually impossible for a spread team to play well against NDSU's defense? Like it won't happen? Why is that? Just curious because I've only seen like two NDSU games this year.

The quarterback basically cannot get off his back vs NDSU in a spread offense. No mortal can sustain that kind of a beating.

clenz
November 17th, 2013, 12:03 PM
If the QB has the ball in his hand for more than 3 seconds he's on his back.

If the RB doesn't hit a hole (if there is one even) almost instantly he is going no where

If the outside run doesn't get the edge sealed tighter than a vacuum sealer the run is going no where.

That NDSU defense is tough as hell.

Snowgoose
November 17th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I am a bison fan and I think some fans may be a little optimistic about us vs EIU. We have our number 1 corner injured right now so we r more vulnerable than we have been at certain times of the year to a great passig attack and even with him healthy he has not played as well this year as past years for whatever reason. While I think we would win they r on an unreal role and a quick passing attack could have some success against us. Most bison fans just think of the beat down SDSU did to EIU last year and think that is just going to happen again. I can say I have not watched them in person but based on what I understand I think it would be a great matchup but it would make me extremely nervous right now.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2013, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure NDSU has ever played a team like EIU. Their offense is unique, but I think the only way NDSU plays them is in Frisco and giving our defensive staff that much time to scheme for their O would be a big advantage.

With that said a lot of people talk about NDSU's defense, its offense is much better than last year's version. Great OL, two headed monster at RB and Jensen is dialed in with Vraa and Smith.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 12:10 PM

#1: NDSU's defensive line. They rotate 10-11 guys in every game and that keeps them fresh. The LBers are fast and athletic to cover WRs or RBs in their Tampa-2 defensive scheme. The D-backs are very good with SS (Heagle) being another LBer when teams have a good running game. Speed and athletic.

#2: Bison offensive line. They just crush defenses. The Bison offense is the defensive unit's best friend. They ground and pound teams until they run out of gas. Check the 2nd half stats this season for the Bison. A team will have to have a very good defense to beat the Bison.....not just to try and outscore them.

#3: Time of Possession. If they do not have the ball they cannot score. The Bison have dominated the TOP this year.

#4: Coaching. Our coaches make great adjustments if things are not working. Very flexible.

#5: Home field advantage. Good luck for any team coming into the FD during the playoffs. The noise level will 'rattle' and spread QB.

What is your break down? Besides just some spread team trying to turn the game into a track meet.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 12:18 PM
If the QB has the ball in his hand for more than 3 seconds he's on his back.

If the RB doesn't hit a hole (if there is one even) almost instantly he is going no where

If the outside run doesn't get the edge sealed tighter than a vacuum sealer the run is going no where.

That NDSU defense is tough as hell.

This here.

Well balanced teams are the ones that can beat the Bison....like a Towson or a UNI.

A healthy UNI (#4 at the time) almost beat the Bison in the FD. Most FCS fans outside the Valley do not know how tough it actually is. A healthy UNI team would be 9-1 right now and ranked #2 and would probably make it to Frisco because they....................play good defense.

A 7-5 UNI will be in consideration for a playoff spot. I hope they get in cus they will be a hard out for anyone even with their mash unit injuries. A healthy '14 UNI team is going to be tough to beat.

FordhamFan
November 17th, 2013, 12:20 PM
#1: NDSU's defensive line. They rotate 10-11 guys in every game and that keeps them fresh. The LBers are fast and athletic to cover WRs or RBs in their Tampa-2 defensive scheme. The D-backs are very good with SS (Heagle) being another LBer when teams have a good running game. Speed and athletic.

#2: Bison offensive line. They just crush defenses. The Bison offense is the defensive unit's best friend. They ground and pound teams until they run out of gas. Check the 2nd half stats this season for the Bison. A team will have to have a very good defense to beat the Bison.....not just to try and outscore them.

#3: Time of Possession. If they do not have the ball they cannot score. The Bison have dominated the TOP this year.

#4: Coaching. Our coaches make great adjustments if things are not working. Very flexible.

#5: Home field advantage. Good luck for any team coming into the FD during the playoffs. The noise level will 'rattle' and spread QB.

What is your break down? Besides just some spread team trying to turn the game into a track meet.

That's exactly what I was kind of looking for. Sound logic why a spread team would struggle. Time of Possession is kind of bogus. I mean, keeping an offense off the field is nice but it doesn't really matter if the team scores in 2 minutes or 20. Just ask teams like Oregon or Baylor what they think of TOP. EIU surely would not care when they score in 3 minutes time.

Other than that, interesting stuff. Would love to see a good spread team play NDSU in the postseason to see how it goes.

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Eastern Illinois has a solid defense. Massey has them just ahead of South Dakota St. for #9 in FCS. And a lot of the points they've given up were in garbage time.

lionsrking2
November 17th, 2013, 12:23 PM
This here.

Well balanced teams are the ones that can beat the Bison....like a Towson or a UNI.

A healthy UNI (#4 at the time) almost beat the Bison in the FD. Most FCS fans outside the Valley do not know how tough it actually is. A healthy UNI team would be 9-1 right now and ranked #2 and would probably make it to Frisco because they....................play good defense.

A 7-5 UNI will be in consideration for a playoff spot. I hope they get in cus they will be a hard out for anyone even with their mash unit injuries. A healthy '14 UNI team is going to be tough to beat.

Don't sleep on the Lions ... we're big, physical, athletic, balanced, and deep on both sides of the ball. We'll be a tough out for anybody.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 12:24 PM
That's exactly what I was kind of looking for. Sound logic why a spread team would struggle. Time of Possession is kind of bogus. I mean, keeping an offense off the field is nice but it doesn't really matter if the team scores in 2 minutes or 20. Just ask teams like Oregon or Baylor what they think of TOP. EIU surely would not care when they score in 3 minutes time.

Other than that, interesting stuff. Would love to see a good spread team play NDSU in the postseason to see how it goes.

NDSU's TOP hurts the opposing teams defense and is what leads to NDSU rushing for copious amounts in the 4th quarter. Science + TOP is why NDSU seems to be conditioned so much better than all the other teams we play including FBS.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Don't sleep on the Lions ... we're big, physical, athletic, balanced, and deep on both sides of the ball. We'll be a tough out for anybody.

Ya, agree. I watched the SDSU/SEL game and the Lions do have a good defense and a good QB. They will be a tough out for anyone.

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Anything can happen in the playoffs. The UNH/UNI game from 2005 shows that. #1 UNH racked up 631 yards on offense but lost 24-21 at home.

ejjones
November 17th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I think UNH is a lock if it beats Maine.

Looking at TSN's projections ... South Carolina State? Really? I know the committee seems to love them some MEAC, but SCSU's only win over a team with a winning record came by five points against 6-4 North Carolina A&T. Too many deserving teams out there for SCSU to be getting consideration.
I would agree, we don't have any credible wins; we can't control the fact we play in the MEAC, but I see all you have done was look at scores & W-L records. A&T is a rivalry game, throw everthing out the window. We've defeated them 10 out of the last 11 times. You can't ingnore the tape. Our defense is as good as advertised. We don't have any bad loses & we were the better team against Coastal, we just didn't win--chalk that up on coaching.

BLUF: the deserving team pool is dwindling, thus SCSU is now in the discussion. Playing 4 games on ESPN does help which is why the committee will not be able to ignore the tape.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Eastern Illinois has a solid defense. Massey has them just ahead of South Dakota St. for #9 in FCS. And a lot of the points they've given up were in garbage time.

Of course they are.....against the Ohio Valley.

SDSU bitched slapped this same EIU team last year. When EIU comes into the FD or Frisco and beats the Bison then I will believe but until then they are a good passing team that plays in a weak conference.

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 12:39 PM

SDSU bitched slapped this same EIU team last year. When EIU comes into the FD or Frisco and beats the Bison then I will believe but until then they are a good passing team that plays in a weak conference.

Think what you want, but the OVC is pretty good this year and EIU is much better than they were last year. They also went 2-0 against the MVFC.

I'm not a fan of any of these teams or conferences personally, but objectively the fact is that EIU is a dangerous opponent for anyone in FCS, and most of FBS too if that mattered.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Think what you want, but the OVC is pretty good this year and EIU is much better than they were last year. They also went 2-0 against the MVFC.

I'm not a fan of any of these teams or conferences personally, but objectively the fact is that EIU is a dangerous opponent for anyone in FCS, and most of FBS too if that mattered.

EIU was also taken to double OT by 5th place SIU, who was blown out by NDSU.

SIU had 507 yards against EIU and scored 37 points.

SIU had 227 yards against NDSU and NDSU pulled starters against SIU, SIU scored 10 points.

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Will the OVC finally win a playoff game?

fmrbearkat
November 17th, 2013, 12:46 PM
How did you do against that tough SOS?

8-3 with a win over #2. Not great but better than many playoff teams would've done!

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 12:47 PM

Better? So they would only lose by 25 to SDSU instead of 58?

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Better? So they would only lose by 25 to SDSU instead of 58?

Your name makes the rep button pretty funny.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NoDak 4 Ever again.
"

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Well for everyone else's sake, hopefully someone upsets NDSU. The level of obnoxiousness is already off the charts.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Your name makes the rep button pretty funny.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NoDak 4 Ever again.
"
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001505281/I_see_what_you_did_there_Fry_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Well for everyone else's sake, hopefully someone upsets NDSU. The level of obnoxiousness is already off the charts.

you new here?

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 01:00 PM
you new here?

If you could read, you would note the October 2004 join date.

I guess being able to read isn't a requirement at NDSU?

Darlinikki150
November 17th, 2013, 01:00 PM

Ha, I know right? Having pride in our undefeated team is sooo annoying. Thankfully football is only a season and not all year long, could you imagine? Uffda!

ejjones
November 17th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Will the OVC finally win a playoff game?
I think getting a win is much easier now w/ 24 teams. When their was only 16, I remember SCSU getting paired up w/ App State two years in a row. We could have defeated anyone else...

jacksfan29
November 17th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Good luck with that

EKU Toss Sweep
November 17th, 2013, 01:06 PM

So the only way EIU can prove themselves is to beat the mighty Bison in either Fargo or Frisco? Yes, EIU has beaten up the OVC. While not the best conference in FCS, the OVC is improving. Out of conference they have wins over BS San Diego St. and 2 midpack MVFC teams. Their only loss is to undefeated BS Northern Illinois and they put op 39 in that loss.

If the Missouri Valley is the best conference out there, which is the opinion of many, then wins over mid pack teams count for something. Which is it? Is the only way to get a quality win against the MVFC to beat the Bison at home or in Frisco? Seriously? Those games against SDSU and NIU weren't bad either.

The Bison are on 1 hell of a run over the last 2+ years. I actually hope the Panthers end up on their side of the bracket. If NDSU is the only way to be measured let's get out the tape measure.

clenz
November 17th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Isn't the OVC something like 0-23 in the playoffs since 1999?

Are OVC fans relaly that naive as to not understand why pretty much no one actually respects good OVC teams?

EKU Toss Sweep
November 17th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I think getting a win is much easier now w/ 24 teams. When their was only 16, I remember SCSU getting paired up w/ App State two years in a row. We could have defeated anyone else...

I would agree. In my opinion 1 EIU win doesn't silence the talk of the OVC streak. It likely takes a win by a 2nd OVC team in the opening round to end talk of the streak. Given scores and outcomes within the OVC over the last 2 weeks, I just hope there is a 2nd team in the field to try and end the streak in the first round.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 01:15 PM
If you could read, you would note the October 2004 join date.

I guess being able to read isn't a requirement at NDSU?

Nope. Just wondered how you think that NDSU obnoxiousness is a new development.

Seriously though. No matter how awful people seem to think we are, we always have great conversations here and good times in person.

EKU Toss Sweep
November 17th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Isn't the OVC something like 0-23 in the playoffs since 1999?

Are OVC fans relaly that naive as to not understand why pretty much no one actually respects good OVC teams?

No, most OVC fans are not that naïve. I've lived through the history having followed the OVC since the 70s. My question in the earlier post is, Does it take EIU beating NDSU in either Fargo or Frisco to not be dismissed as pretender?

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Nope. Just wondered how you think that NDSU obnoxiousness is a new development.

Seriously though. No matter how awful people seem to think we are, we always have great conversations here and good times in person.

I have no doubt NDSU fans in general are great. But there are a handful on here that outspam peak App St fans, which I didn't think was even possible.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 01:24 PM

SIU had 227 yards against NDSU and NDSU pulled starters against SIU, SIU scored 10 points.

This. How many top 5 offenses have come against the Bison in the last 3 years?

Bisonwinagn
November 17th, 2013, 01:33 PM

The easy comparison is Stanford vs Oregon. NDSU is similar to Stanford in the physical style of play which does a good job of stopping high powered offenses. The TOP is almost as import to the NDSU offense as they are able to dominate in the run game in the second half.

Bisonwinagn
November 17th, 2013, 01:38 PM
The great thing about FCS football is there are literally 20 games that mean something the last weekend of the year. Also over half the conference championships haven't been decided. I think almost all the seeds and at large bids will be decided on the field this weekend.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 01:44 PM
So the only way EIU can prove themselves is to beat the mighty Bison in either Fargo or Frisco? Yes, EIU has beaten up the OVC. While not the best conference in FCS, the OVC is improving. Out of conference they have wins over BS San Diego St. and 2 midpack MVFC teams. Their only loss is to undefeated BS Northern Illinois and they put op 39 in that loss.

If the Missouri Valley is the best conference out there, which is the opinion of many, then wins over mid pack teams count for something. Which is it? Is the only way to get a quality win against the MVFC to beat the Bison at home or in Frisco? Seriously? Those games against SDSU and NIU weren't bad either.

The Bison are on 1 hell of a run over the last 2+ years. I actually hope the Panthers end up on their side of the bracket. If NDSU is the only way to be measured let's get out the tape measure.

When people want to compare how EIU would do against the Bison then ya......this year the game will be in Fargo or Frisco, if they play.

Go read my post #48.

Those are the reasons that I think the Bison are going to 3-peat.

Yes, the Bison can lose but it is going to take a great effort by another team to do it and they cannot be 1-dimensional.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 01:46 PM
No, most OVC fans are not that naïve. I've lived through the history having followed the OVC since the 70s. My question in the earlier post is, Does it take EIU beating NDSU in either Fargo or Frisco to not be dismissed as pretender?

Because that is the only venues where they will play this year.

EKU Toss Sweep
November 17th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Because that is the only venues where they will play this year.

Missed my point. I understand the fact that NDSU will only play at home and in Frisco, assuming they advance to the finals.

IBleedYellow
November 17th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Missed my point. I understand the fact that NDSU will only play at home and in Frisco, assuming they advance to the finals.

To not be a pretender would require you to beat teams that are in the Top 10. That's what I would believe. So, if they are amazing, we shall see very shortly if they are #2 Seed in the playoffs as to just how amazing they really are.

EKU Toss Sweep
November 17th, 2013, 02:27 PM
To not be a pretender would require you to beat teams that are in the Top 10. That's what I would believe. So, if they are amazing, we shall see very shortly if they are #2 Seed in the playoffs as to just how amazing they really are.

Agreed. EIU will have to beat teams in the top 10 in order to not be dismissed this year. Never said they were amazing and actually think they are likely over rated at 2. That said, I do believe they can score on anyone and can compete with the top 10 in FBS. I do hope they cross paths with NDSU at some point in the playoffs before Frisco. I'd like to see the EIU spread against the NDSU with 1 week to prepare. The Bison will be big favorites no matter who they play but I think EIU would provide a few interesting matchups for them.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Agreed. EIU will have to beat teams in the top 10 in order to not be dismissed this year. Never said they were amazing and actually think they are likely over rated at 2. That said, I do believe they can score on anyone and can compete with the top 10 in FBS. I do hope they cross paths with NDSU at some point in the playoffs before Frisco. I'd like to see the EIU spread against the NDSU with 1 week to prepare. The Bison will be big favorites no matter who they play but I think EIU would provide a few interesting matchups for them.

Meh, Ohio State, Baylor, Stanford, Arizona State etc would eat EIU alive.

jacksfan29
November 17th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Would love for us to get a shot at NAU. UM? Bad memories of that place. Maybe we could exercise some demons that have haunted the program for the past several years. I do think if SDSU gets in and win in the 1st round we will be heading to Fargo. Not fun, but better then being at home.

I don't want to see the Jacks for our 1st game. More than likely that is what will happen, easy bus ride just like last year.

Watching some of these other teams on Fox Sports or ESPN, the only team that I think that would give the Bison a good run is Towson just because they are well balanced on offense. A spread team like EIU and Maine will get eaten alive by the Bison defense. EWU might give the Bison some trouble cus VA is athletic and can run around and move the chains. Plus, SDSU if they are healthy can give the Bison a game just cus they know each other so well.

YSU is a total 'paper tiger' this year. If the Bison did not have those mistakes yesterday that game would have been 56-10 or something like that. If UNI was healthy they would be a scary team in the playoffs.

What makes me smile is that the Bison defense had 2 very good starters out and the defense did not lose a beat. YSU's coach said, and I agree with him, that NDSU 2nds are better than most everyone else's starters.

An 8-4 Jacks team is definitely in but will probably have to go to Montana or NAU...maybe Montana State but IMO, they are out of the playoff picture cus they will get beat by the Griz.

IMO, the only team that will beat the Bison is themselves this year. The O-line is just crushing defenses and by the 3rd and 4th quarters teams are worn out. Plus the Bison offense is better this year compared to the last two years and that makes the defense better also.

Looks like NDSU is in for sure and SDSU if they win at YSU. YSU still might get in at 8-4 and even a 7-5 UNI team might get some consideration with their Iowa State win and other teams losing next week....they need some help.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 02:33 PM

So would NDSU. Garoppolo might not survive the first half.

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 02:35 PM
He was clearly referring to top 10 FCS, made a typo. Another example of NDSU fans spamming for no reason.

IBleedYellow
November 17th, 2013, 02:35 PM

If they get seeded #2 the only time they'd see each other would be Frisco. Also, Top 10 FBS? Hah.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM
He was clearly referring to top 10 FCS, made a typo. Another example of NDSU fans spamming for no reason.

You said earlier they could hang with anyone in FBS. Apparently that doesn't include NIU.

jmrepak
November 17th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I would agree, we don't have any credible wins; we can't control the fact we play in the MEAC, but I see all you have done was look at scores & W-L records. A&T is a rivalry game, throw everthing out the window. We've defeated them 10 out of the last 11 times. You can't ingnore the tape. Our defense is as good as advertised. We don't have any bad loses & we were the better team against Coastal, we just didn't win--chalk that up on coaching.

BLUF: the deserving team pool is dwindling, thus SCSU is now in the discussion. Playing 4 games on ESPN does help which is why the committee will not be able to ignore the tape.
Whoa, back that train up. We were both knocking off first game jitters, but that is a bridge too far my friend. I like playing SC State and it's been a competitive series score wise, but you guys were not and are still not a better team than Coastal. We are 1 terrible first half of football at CSU from still being undefeated, and if we faced SC State gain tomorrow all that would happen is that CCU would be 4 and 0on the series.

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 02:42 PM
You said earlier they could hang with anyone in FBS. Apparently that doesn't include NIU.

Again, quite a remarkable inability to read. I know you just want to talk trash as much as humanly possible, but at least pay a little bit of attention along the way.

I said their offense could score on most FBS teams. They scored 39 against NIU.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I hate to try to get this back on topic.....

NoBowls.com Bracketology....

William and Mary at CCU vs 1. NDSU
Samford at SHSU vs 8. McNeese State
Charleston Southern at Bethune-Cookman vs 5. SE Lousiana
Sacred Heart at Fordham vs 4 Maine

SDSU at Montana vs 3. EWU
Lehigh at Delaware vs 6. Towson
SUU at Chattanooga vs 7. NAU
Butler at YSU vs 2. EIU

http://www.nobowls.com/

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Again, quite a remarkable inability to read. I know you just want to talk trash as much as humanly possible, but at least pay a little bit of attention along the way.

I said their offense could score on most FBS teams. They scored 39 against NIU.

EIU is a dangerous opponent for anyone in FCS, and most of FBS too if that mattered.

http://orlyowl.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/orly.jpg

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 02:51 PM

I never said "anyone." As you can see in your very own post, I said "most."

I don't see why you feel a need to misrepresent other poster's comments, take things clearly out of context, etc. It's just stupid and classless.

kalm
November 17th, 2013, 02:53 PM
http://orlyowl.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/orly.jpg

There's some truth to that statement.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 02:54 PM

Actually, he clearly typed FBS. You clearly don't know what "clearly" means.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I never said "anyone." As you can see in your very own post, I said "most."

I don't see why you feel a need to misrepresent other poster's comments, take things clearly out of context, etc. It's just stupid and classless.

Pull your skirt down. Your hoo-hah's showing.

You come on here with all this bluster about EIU who hasn't played anyone of any note all season and how they could compete with most of the FBS. That is a stupid and ill-informed statement. Then you get all butthurt when someone calls you out on it.

Darlinikki150
November 17th, 2013, 02:59 PM

Butler at YSU vs 2. EIU

If that bracket comes true, SELA or Maine would be the only ones standing in our way...the other bracket looks much tougher no?

kalm
November 17th, 2013, 03:00 PM
The easy comparison is Stanford vs Oregon. NDSU is similar to Stanford in the physical style of play which does a good job of stopping high powered offenses. The TOP is almost as import to the NDSU offense as they are able to dominate in the run game in the second half.

Offenses like EIU and EWU don't necessarily care about TOP. If their D can force a few stops or field goals early, the pressure turns on the power team to try and keep up. They get out of their comfort zone and start forcing the passing game.

Not it saying that would happen, but that's the schematic.

Oregon's problem against Stanford was play calling and coming away with no points twice on red zone trips in the first half.

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Pull your skirt down. Your hoo-hah's showing.

You come on here with all this bluster about EIU who hasn't played anyone of any note all season and how they could compete with most of the FBS. That is a stupid and ill-informed statement. Then you get all butthurt when someone calls you out on it.

I'm not even an EIU or OVC team fan. The fact is, they've played 2 mid-major FBS teams, crushed one and almost beat another (who is 10-0), beat 2 MVFC teams, and so forth. They've had a good season. No rational person would argue otherwise.

In fact, it's pretty stupid for you to talk down NDSU's possible opponents. It makes a lot more sense to talk them up, so if you win it's a great achievement, and if you lose it's more excusable.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Offenses like EIU and EWU don't necessarily care about TOP. If their D can force a few stops or field goals early, the pressure turns on the power team to try and keep up. They get out of their comfort zone and start forcing the passing game.

Oregon's problem against Stanford was play calling and coming away with no points twice on red zone trips in the first half.

NDSU has shown to be a pretty calm team even when playing from behind.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I'm not even an EIU or OVC team fan. The fact is, they've played 2 mid-major FBS teams, crushed one and almost beat another (who is 10-0), beat 2 MVFC teams, and so forth. They've had a good season. No rational person would argue otherwise.

In fact, it's pretty stupid for you to talk down NDSU's possible opponents. It makes a lot more sense to talk them up, so if you win it's a great achievement, and if you lose it's more excusable.

You are clearly new...

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 03:05 PM
You are clearly new...

Seriously, who expects to lose? 38-2 in the last 3 seasons. You don't lose because your teams suck, you lose because our team's better. No shame in that.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Seriously, who expects to lose? 38-2 in the last 3 seasons. You don't lose because your teams suck, you lose because our team's better. No shame in that.

If we lose we will also never let it go, EWU 2010 was proof enough.

EKU Toss Sweep
November 17th, 2013, 03:08 PM

Yes - Typo on my part. Should have ready FCS Top 10.

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2013, 03:10 PM
The best team doesn't always win. It only takes one time for the unexpected outcome to happen and that one time can happen anytime.

dbackjon
November 17th, 2013, 03:16 PM
True, but the weak schedule argument works against NAU getting a seed too, especially if they don't win at SUU.
NAU Played all full scholarship teams

Unlike YSU that played three non-or limited scholarship teams for out of conference

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 03:16 PM
OK. this gets so boring. I give up.

It would be very interesting to compare this year's field with last year. The top 10 is quite a bit different.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 03:19 PM

All true, but the stats are a little skewed because SIU was forced to play a freshman QB for the entire 2nd half minus one series.

I don't think EIU is better but they have the one thing that I could see giving the Bison trouble: a QB who gets rid of the ball very quickly. If he's on they could lose the TOP by a wide margin and still be in the game because of their ability to get rich quick. We missed at least five sacks because of how fast he gets the ball out. NDSU is much the better team but EIU is one of those teams where you have to change some of what you do. Like playing against one option team in the season or a team that runs an unbalanced line or a boxer having to fight a lefty. Huge difference when you see them a second time. Last year we were headless chickens running around, this year with a worse defense we lost on a missed fg.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 03:34 PM

We'd all love the schadenfreude but the fact is that they've earned it so you just have to grit your teeth and man up until you're up and they're down. Next time we beat them I'll be the first one over to Bisonville doing the online equivalent of dropping trou and shaking the python at them....

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 03:39 PM

SIU was a good win for EIU but it took 2OT and a missed fg to happen against a mid-pack MVC team. Off the top of my head I believe that the 30-30 score at the end of regulation is the lowest point total for EIU on the year in regulation? Correct me if I'm wrong.

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 03:41 PM
We'd all love the schadenfreude but the fact is that they've earned it so you just have to grit your teeth and man up until you're up and they're down. Next time we beat them I'll be the first one over to Bisonville doing the online equivalent of dropping trou and shaking the python at them....

Their fans on here haven't "earned" anything- it's NDSU's coaches and players that have. I was being facetious in saying I hoped they lost, I don't much care unless they were to play the team I root for.

clenz
November 17th, 2013, 03:43 PM

UNI held NDSU to field goals early...forced a to on the opening kick off...lead for 57 minutes and change...entered the 4th quarter up by 2 tds..........then lost.

This NDSU team is something I've not seen in the FCS before. This....this is a machine that doesn't make mistakes, doesn't get rattled, doesn't ever worry about ****, doesn't ever do anything but rip your heart out, feed it to you and force you to **** it out before it stops beating.

I'm not saying they can't lose....but I wouldn't put ten dollars on a million to one return on them losing

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

jmrepak
November 17th, 2013, 03:44 PM

Butler at YSU vs 2. EIU

I'm definitely not a fan of this bracket. I'm okay with having to play NDSU. After all, to be the best you have to beat the best. However, I would prefer not seeing them until at least the round of 8. The other predictions having B-C at CCU with the winner at SELA is preferable. SELA is a good team as well, but I would rather face them in the round of 16 than the Bison

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 03:47 PM
NAU Played all full scholarship teams

Unlike YSU that played three non-or limited scholarship teams for out of conference

I agree that YSU had a weak schedule up front and that they've been exposed a little. BUt to be fair NAU has only played two teams with winning records so far and lost to one of them.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 03:49 PM
If we lose we will also never let it go, EWU 2010 was proof enough.

Bill Fette. JBB was legendary for months after that, I had no idea that one vagina could hold that much sand....xlolx.

dbackjon
November 17th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I agree that YSU had a weak schedule up front and that they've been exposed a little. BUt to be fair NAU has only played two teams with winning records so far and lost to one of them.

Our win over Montana is better than any from YSU.

YSU boasts one win over a Schollie team with a winning record - 6-5 SIU. So no good wins.

clenz
November 17th, 2013, 03:52 PM
YSU isn't what their record says....they really aren't. Jon is right about that.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Bill Fette. JBB was legendary for months after that, I had no idea that one vagina could hold that much sand....xlolx.

You have to admit. That was about the most bull**** call ever. It bugged me for the offseason but that's about it. 2 NC trips have soothed that heartache.

kalm
November 17th, 2013, 03:56 PM

If they beat SUU next week they'll be 2-1 against top 25 teams. I'd also submit that Cal Poly and Sac. State are on par with with mid-pack Valley teams.

If I were to seed it right now:

NDSU
EWU
Maine
EIU
SELA
Towson
McNeese
NAU

Others deserving consideration: Fordham/Coastal/Montana/YSU

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Our win over Montana is better than any from YSU.

YSU boasts one win over a Schollie team with a winning record - 6-5 SIU. So no good wins.

One good win vs. no good wins, isn't all that convincing when Montana was lucky to beat 4-7 South Dakota, was beaten in every statistical category by them and won on a KO return with less than 2 minutes in the game. I think YSU and NAU are both overrated.

kalm
November 17th, 2013, 03:59 PM
You have to admit. That was about the most bull**** call ever. It bugged me for the offseason but that's about it. 2 NC trips have soothed that heartache.

That was one of the best calls ever!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 04:00 PM

Soothed it some.....:o

kalm
One good win vs. no good wins, isn't all that convincing when Montana was lucky to beat 4-7 South Dakota, was beaten in every statistical category by them and won on a KO return with less than 2 minutes in the game. I think YSU and NAU are both overrated.

Except NAU would have two good wins if they beat SUU this week.

jacksfan29

Other then EWU can't the same be said about all the top contenders in the Big Sky? Even MU only has one good win this year, EWU? The win over USD may be Montana's second best win of the year.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 04:01 PM
If they beat SUU next week they'll be 2-1 against top 25 teams. I'd also submit that Cal Poly and Sac. State are on par with with mid-pack Valley teams.

NDSU
EWU
Maine
EIU
SELA
Towson
McNeese
NAU

If a frog had wings he wouldn't whomp his ass ahoppin'...

SIU is 2-2 against Top10 teams but they weren't a good win for YSU.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Other then EWU can't the same be said about all the top contenders in the Big Sky? Even MU only has one good win this year, EWU? The win over USD may be Montana's second best win of the year.

And NAU doesn't play EWU...

jacksfan29
November 17th, 2013, 04:04 PM

And if YSU beats SDSU they have two good wins. See how that works?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Yup, plus they played an all D1 schedule. Beat SUU on the road and 9 D1 wins will stack up nicely.

The one thing that somewhat "hurts" them is having 2 OOC games. It's not really their fault given the size of the BSC. It still doesn't seem right imo...

Red & Black
November 17th, 2013, 04:08 PM

Who is MU? If you mean Montana (UM), no, they did not beat us.

NAU has a win over Montana, which is a quality win, but really their only one.

A 10-2 Montana wouldn't have a lot of quality wins, but it's hard to keep them out of the discussion for seeds with that record, even though they are probably looking at being the #3 out of the Big Sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 04:10 PM

NAU has a win over Montana, which is a quality win, but really there only one.

A 10-2 Montana wouldn't have a lot of quality wins, but it's hard to keep them out of the discussion for seeds with that record, even though they are probably looking at being the #3 out of the Big Sky.

Montana would have 9 D1 wins though. There's absolutely no reason to schedule a team like OK-Pandandle State. I mean seriously?

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Montana would have 9 D1 wins though. There's absolutely no reason to schedule a team like OK-Pandandle State. I mean seriously?

Money was very likely the reason. And a pretty good one.

Red & Black
November 17th, 2013, 04:13 PM

It's either schedule an Oklahoma Panhandlers State, or go on the road against an FBS, and Montana makes more money from a home game than one of those. Scheduling opportunities for western FCS teams are slim, which is why you see the DII teams and also why I think we'll see more home and home series between the Big Sky and Southland.

jacksfan29
November 17th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Living in Colorado I'm used to CU even though the school is the University of Colorado. Bad habit. I think the problem with the Big Sky, which is a problem for those of us in other conferences; not the Big Sky schools; is that the conference is big enough that depending on the year, you can put together a heck of a record while maybe playing one or two games against a quality opponent. I've watched a lot of Big Sky games living out west, EWU is an impressive FB team, Montana shows flashes but MSU and NAU just aren't that impressive.

NAU has a win over Montana, which is a quality win, but really there only one.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Money was very likely the reason. And a pretty good one.

Well then accept your cash but realize you weakened your schedule. Likewise, when you schedule 2 and even 1 FBS game your main objective is money. Schools should not be rewarded for it....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Living in Colorado I'm used to CU even though the school is the University of Colorado. Bad habit. I think the problem with the Big Sky, which is a problem for those of us in other conferences; not the Big Sky schools; is that the conference is big enough that depending on the year, you can put together a heck of a record while maybe playing one or two games against a quality opponent. I've watched a lot of Big Sky games living out west, EWU is an impressive FB team, Montana shows flashes but MSU and NAU just aren't that impressive.

I'd tend to agree with you minus NAU. They're a very sound, boarder-line boring team. Montana State simply lacks the horses that are needed to compete with the top FCS programs. They need an infusion of talent...

Red & Black
November 17th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Agreed on MSU. I don't see them making the playoffs, though. NAU has potential, but u don't think they'll go that far in the playoffs (too one-dimensional). Montana is a good team with a lot if talent, but I question whether or not they can put it all together (coaching). EWU can be unstoppable when their defense comes to play, but 2 times (maybe more) this year it hasn't. SUU has an awesome defense, but that's about it.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 04:19 PM

NAU has a win over Montana, which is a quality win, but really their only one.

If SIU isn't a good win for YSU then Montana isn't a good win for NAU, they were pushed all over the field by the 7th place MVC team, check the stats.

Red & Black
November 17th, 2013, 04:22 PM
If SIU isn't a good win for YSU then Montana isn't a good win for NAU, they were pushed all over the field by the 7th place MVC team, check the stats.

No need. I think USD is a tough team to play at home, and that's about it.

dbackjon
November 17th, 2013, 04:22 PM

Then who are your seeds?

After NDSU/EIU/EWU/Maine teams all have warts, IMHO.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 04:25 PM
No need. I think USD is a tough team to play at home, and that's about it.

So YSU and NAU both have zero good wins but NAU should be seeded?

dbackjon
November 17th, 2013, 04:26 PM

LOL - but they won the game, which is what matters.

SIU is .500 against DI teams, and boast wins against SEMO, a lucky OT over a depleted UNI (who, if healthy, would have won easy), a bad WIU, an below average ISUr (speaking of inflated records), and the one decent win, at SDSU.

Red & Black
November 17th, 2013, 04:27 PM

Huh? I don't think I said anything about NAU being seeded.

dbackjon
November 17th, 2013, 04:28 PM

So a top 10 Montana is not a good win?

Hound, you need to withdraw with your tail between your leg...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 04:29 PM

As someone who has no horse in the race, that's a crazy argument. 99% of objective FCS followers would consider a win over a playoff bound 10-2 team better than beating a 7-5 non-playoff team. The BSC went to 2-0 against USD. If you tried to argue this case in court they'd toss it out in a second....

Engineer86
November 17th, 2013, 04:32 PM

We heard this argument last year and the 10-1 team with a weak schedule stayed home. Maybe we will see playing and losing to decent teams is better than beating a average at best teams. I doubt it. I would look for a 7-5 UNI team over SCSU.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 04:38 PM
LOL - but they won the game, which is what matters.

SIU is .500 against DI teams, and boast wins against SEMO, a lucky OT over a depleted UNI (who, if healthy, would have won easy), a bad WIU, an below average ISUr (speaking of inflated records), and the one decent win, at SDSU.

But they won the game, that's all that matters.... nice try. They were missing Farley the big depletion came later, and they were top 5 when we beat them, SDSU was top 10, both ranked ahead of Montana. Sorry Jon, your stuff is weak, you played two teams with a winning record and lost to one of them and ducked EWU who would spank you easily, you got nothing son. YSU and NAU are both overrated. NAU would be 2-7 in the MVC.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 04:41 PM
So a top 10 Montana is not a good win?

Hound, you need to withdraw with your tail between your leg...

You keep moving the goalposts. Top 10 Montana is a good win but #5 and #8 aren't. Weak...

dbackjon
November 17th, 2013, 04:42 PM
But they won the game, that's all that matters.... nice try. They were missing Farley the big depletion came later, and they were top 5 when we beat them, SDSU was top 10, both ranked ahead of Montana. Sorry Jon, your stuff is weak, you played two teams with a winning record and lost to one of them and ducked EWU who would spank you easily, you got nothing son. YSU and NAU are both overrated. NAU would be 2-7 in the MVC.

NAU would beat every MVFC team except NDSU and pre-injury YSU.

maine612
On Jan 4th....xnodx

I hope EWU/NDSU get matched up cus I want to see VA in person and how our defense can slow him down. The big question mark in this potential match up is the EWU defense and if they can stop the Bison offense. The Bison D will get their stops but the EWU defense IMO, cannot consistently stop the Bison offense.

In this potential game, EWU wins if they can turn it into a track meet. If the Bison can ground and pound the TOP it will be a Bison win.

Like I said, the only teams that have a shot at the Bison this year are:

Towson
EWU
SDSU -- for the simple fact they know the Bison so well

I think you are underestimating Maine. Not saying Maine would win but they WILL have a shot...in any stadium, domed or otherwise. Hope to see you in a few weeks.

FargoBison

I'm guessing you mean pre-injury UNI?

clenz
You wouldn't beat a healthy UNI team....

rokamortis
November 17th, 2013, 04:43 PM

NDSU
EWU
Maine
EIU
SELA
Towson
McNeese
NAU

Good analysis. Coastal may get a little more consideration since they have 10 DI wins and a full DI schedule.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 04:44 PM

SDSU would be a tough out for NAU.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Huh? I don't think I said anything about NAU being seeded.

You didn't, Jon thinks NAU deserves a seed for one decent win. I think YSU and NAU are both overrated. I. My point is that Jon holds the Big Sky to a different standard than he holds the MVC to.'m not even arguing for SIU to be in the playoffs

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Good analysis. Coastal may get a little more consideration since they have 10 DI wins and a full DI schedule.

I think either Fordham or Coastal will get a seed. Fordham has the slight advantage with the additional win assuming they beat Colgate. Both the PL and BS are looked upon in a similar light imo.

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Wow, has there ever been a more overrated conference than the MVFC this season? One great team and the rest of t
you think that makes you world beaters.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 04:46 PM
You didn't, Jon thinks NAU deserves a seed for one decent win. I think YSU and NAU are both overrated. I. My point is that Jon holds the Big Sky to a different standard than he holds the MVC to.'m not even arguing for SIU to be in the playoffs

NAU would deserve a seed with one really good win, Montana, and a very solid road win, at SUU. Well, that along with 9 D1 wins and second place finish in a well respected league.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 04:47 PM

NAU would be 2-7 in the MVC.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Wow, has there ever been a more overrated conference than the MVFC this season? One great team and the rest of t
you think that makes you world beaters.

Says the team that was lucky to beat the 7th place MVC team.

Twentysix
NAU would deserve a seed with one really good win, Montana, and a very solid road win, at SUU. Well, that along with 9 D1 wins and second place finish in a well respected league.

Big Sky is the #6 league in the FCS bro, worse than the ivy league. Computers say so!

16 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 59.66 59.54 ( 16) 10 59.31 ( 16)
17 SUN BELT (A) = 58.37 57.83 ( 17) 8 58.22 ( 18)
18 CONFERENCE USA-EAST (A) = 58.21 56.92 ( 19) 7 59.18 ( 17)
19 MAC-EAST (A) = 57.56 57.42 ( 18) 7 57.65 ( 19)
20 COLONIAL (AA)= 57.02 56.15 ( 20) 11 57.05 ( 20)
21 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 53.34 53.90 ( 21) 8 53.52 ( 21)
22 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 51.84 51.41 ( 22) 9 51.54 ( 22)
23 IVY LEAGUE (AA)= 50.57 48.96 ( 24) 8 50.88 ( 23)
24 BIG SKY (AA)= 49.68 49.63 ( 23) 13 49.61 ( 24)
25 SOUTHERN (AA)= 47.12 46.69 ( 26) 9 46.89 ( 25)
26 BIG SOUTH (AA)= 46.69 46.90 ( 25) 6 46.76 ( 26)
27 PATRIOT (AA)= 46.28 45.43 ( 27) 7 46.17 ( 27)
28 I-AA INDEPENDENTS (AA)= 42.84 42.21 ( 28) 6 43.09 ( 28)
29 MID-EASTERN (AA)= 40.83 41.56 ( 29) 11 40.97 ( 29)
30 NORTHEAST (AA)= 40.36 40.45 ( 30) 7 40.33 ( 30)
31 SWAC-EAST (AA)= 35.67 34.64 ( 31) 5 35.04 ( 31)
32 PIONEER (AA)= 28.93 28.24 ( 33) 12 29.26 ( 32)
33 SWAC-WEST (AA)= 28.35 28.42 ( 32) 5 28.42 ( 33)

Houndawg
Then who are your seeds?

After NDSU/EIU/EWU/Maine teams all have warts, IMHO.

True.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I think you are underestimating Maine. Not saying Maine would win but they WILL have a shot...in any stadium, domed or otherwise. Hope to see you in a few weeks.

I might be.

I have watched Maine twice on TV and they are good but I think NDSU matches up really well against a team like them.

Red & Black
November 17th, 2013, 04:52 PM
All this discussion about the MVFC being such a superior conference. I'd have to look, but I'd take a guess that head to head matchups in the playoffs don't back up that bravado.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 04:53 PM
All this discussion about the MVFC being such a superior conference. I'd have to look, but I'd take a guess that head to head matchups in the playoffs don't back up that vibrato.

Keep your pleasure stick out of the conversation!

Surely the MVFC ranking has alot to do with NDSU being #24 in the combined rankings.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Big Sky is the #5 league in the FCS bro, worse than the ivy league. Computers say so!

16 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 59.66 59.54 ( 16) 10 59.31 ( 16)
17 SUN BELT (A) = 58.37 57.83 ( 17) 8 58.22 ( 18)
18 CONFERENCE USA-EAST (A) = 58.21 56.92 ( 19) 7 59.18 ( 17)
19 MAC-EAST (A) = 57.56 57.42 ( 18) 7 57.65 ( 19)
20 COLONIAL (AA)= 57.02 56.15 ( 20) 11 57.05 ( 20)
21 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 53.34 53.90 ( 21) 8 53.52 ( 21)
22 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 51.84 51.41 ( 22) 9 51.54 ( 22)
23 IVY LEAGUE (AA)= 50.57 48.96 ( 24) 8 50.88 ( 23)
24 BIG SKY (AA)= 49.68 49.63 ( 23) 13 49.61 ( 24)

Based on that you better have Princeton in your Top 10 tomorrow xlolx...

Still, outside of Princeton and Harvard there's a huge dropoff. The BSC has way more depth at the top. Both conference's cellar dwellers are equally terrible.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 04:54 PM

A road win at SUU would strengthen their case for sure.

maine612
November 17th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I might be.

I have watched Maine twice on TV and they are good but I think NDSU matches up really well against a team like them.

Maine always finds a way to be competitive. But one thing scares me is the Bison running attack wearing down the Maine front 7 late in the game. Of course this is how the Bison beat many teams. If we can score in the 30s, we have a chance. I, of course, will be making the drive to Fargo if Maine and NDSU match up in the semis. I was up there for the Northern Iowa game....when UNI kicked the field goal to go up 23-10, I said to my friends, "NDSU wins 24-23." Seemed simple at the time.

Engineer86
November 17th, 2013, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't put ten dollars on a million to one return on them losing

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

I will take this bet on any team, Alabama, NDSU. I might not do it for 15 to 1 thoughxlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Maine always finds a way to be competitive. But one thing scares me is the Bison running attack wearing down the Maine front 7 late in the game. Of course this is how the Bison beat many teams. If we can score in the 30s, we have a chance. I, of course, will be making the drive to Fargo if Maine and NDSU match up in the semis. I was up there for the Northern Iowa game....when UNI kicked the field goal to go up 23-10, I said to my friends, "NDSU wins 24-23." Seemed simple at the time.

A Maine/NDSU would be an interesting match-up.

The Bison O-Line is a strength on this team. They are big, strong and beat down D-lines.

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2013, 05:58 PM

Yeah, we really should have scheduled Colorado Mesa and SMU like the geniuses over in Bozeman.

dbackjon
November 17th, 2013, 06:02 PM
If a frog had wings he wouldn't whomp his ass ahoppin'...

SIU is 2-2 against Top10 teams but they weren't a good win for YSU.
SIU has not beaten a top ten team

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Says the team that was lucky to beat the 7th place MVC team.

Our QB had one the worst games of his career turnover-wise and we still managed to get a win in a building where USD has only lost 9 times since 2003.

dbackjon
November 17th, 2013, 06:21 PM
You wouldn't beat a healthy UNI team....
That is who I meant

saxbison
November 17th, 2013, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=Red & Black;2051688]All this discussion about the MVFC being such a superior conference. I'd have to look, but I'd take a guess that head to head matchups in the playoffs don't back up that vibrato.

The bison have mucho bravado, but if you want to talk about vibrato...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npH-DULg5lI... this is your man.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Yeah, we really should have scheduled Colorado Mesa and SMU like the geniuses over in Bozeman.

Those were two poor decisions by the Bobcats. I don't understand why programs continually schedule D2 teams. If there's nothing nearby get on a bus or plane!

FordhamFan
November 17th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Alright fellas, any chance the struggling Rams get a seed at 11-1? (Assuming they win this Saturday)

I hear these arguments for teams with a lot of D1 wins and Fordham would have 11. That's as many as anyone that's not NDSU.

But then there's the strength of schedule argument, which obviously Fordham sucks in. Not to mention the committee clearly is not a fan of the Patriot League after leaving out Lehigh last year.

Just wondering what people that are less biased on the situation think.

rokamortis
November 17th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Alright fellas, any chance the struggling Rams get a seed at 11-1? (Assuming they win this Saturday)

I hear these arguments for teams with a lot of D1 wins and Fordham would have 11. That's as many as anyone that's not NDSU.

But then there's the strength of schedule argument, which obviously Fordham sucks in. Not to mention the committee clearly is not a fan of the Patriot League after leaving out Lehigh last year.

How many of the DI teams are full scholarship? I think that may hurt the chances some.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 06:46 PM
How many of the DI teams are full scholarship? I think that may hurt the chances some.

The PL isn't really looked upon like that by the committee imo. Colgate a got a seed in 2003 when there were only 16 teams. Also, there's several schools in "scholarship conferences" that don't offer the full 63.....

FargoBison
November 17th, 2013, 06:50 PM

It possible but it would really help them if Montana and NAU both lose.

Grizzlies82
November 17th, 2013, 06:53 PM

After watching this forever I'd say it is about 50/50. The record is hard to ignore. Yet the conference is suspect.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 06:58 PM
After watching this forever I'd say it is about 50/50. The record is hard to ignore. Yet the conference is suspect.

Yet, in the last 15 years, it has been FAR superior to the OVC.....

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Yet, in the last 15 years, it has been FAR superior to the OVC.....

How many At Large OVC teams have there been before expansion?

Red & Black
November 17th, 2013, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=Red & Black;2051688]All this discussion about the MVFC being such a superior conference. I'd have to look, but I'd take a guess that head to head matchups in the playoffs don't back up that vibrato.

The bison have mucho bravado, but if you want to talk about vibrato...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npH-DULg5lI... this is your man.

xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 07:08 PM

I have no idea? I'm guessing a handful?

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I have no idea? I'm guessing a handful?

Color me surprised. I went back and looked. It wasn't unheard of to see a couple OVC teams. I guess the committee never learned.

dudeitsaid
November 17th, 2013, 08:15 PM
On Jan 4th....xnodx

I would love this match up for many reasons. In addition to the obvious reasons, I think this game would have great storylines that would continue to add exposure for the FCS. Two contrasting styles of play, two teams that have won their respective conferences, the storylines of games against FBS opponents to start the season coming into play, and the drama of our game in 2010 being revisited. I think their would be some real drama added to this game, and potentially a higher viewership on TV than normal.

ngineer
November 17th, 2013, 08:19 PM

#1 NDSU
#2 EIU
#3 EWU
#4 Maine
#5 SELA
#6 Towson
#7 Fordham
#8 NAU

Will the Committee take into consideration Nebrich's absence for the loss if it is certain he will play if FU is given a slot?

kalm
November 17th, 2013, 08:21 PM
I would love this match up for many reasons. In addition to the obvious reasons, I think this game would have great storylines that would continue to add exposure for the FCS. Two contrasting styles of play, two teams that have won their respective conferences, the storylines of games against FBS opponents to start the season coming into play, and the drama of our game in 2010 being revisited. I think their would be some real drama added to this game, and potentially a higher viewership on TV than normal.

+2

Fear the Bird
November 17th, 2013, 08:27 PM

You clearly forgot about the ridiculous inclusion of EKU in 2011

BlueHenSinfonian
November 17th, 2013, 08:36 PM
This is another bubblepalooza year. Realistically it's a minimum 8 D1 win year, withou 9 D1 wins to feel safe.

There could be plenty of deserving 8 win teams left at home depending on how things shake out in other conferences. Samford beating Chattanooga really threw a wrench into things.

I'm going to be rooting for Liberty, Montana, NAU, Richmond, SEMO, and YSU in addition to my Hens this week in the hopes that some of the other bubble teams get knocked out. Lehigh needs to take care of business vs Lafayette to prevent a would-be 5-6 Leopards team from taking the autobid.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 17th, 2013, 08:38 PM
You clearly forgot about the ridiculous inclusion of EKU in 2011

What I forgot was Tennessee Tech. I actually watched that ridiculous EKU game.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 09:06 PM
SIU has not beaten a top ten team

UNI was top 5 when we beat them on the road and SDSU was #8 when we beat them on the road.

Fear the Bird
November 17th, 2013, 09:18 PM
UNI was top 5 when we beat them on the road and SDSU was #8 when we beat them on the road.

xbangx

Houndawg
November 17th, 2013, 09:21 PM
xbangx

xlolx

dbackjon
November 17th, 2013, 09:24 PM

So the. Montana has a top 10 win over App State

FordhamFan
November 17th, 2013, 09:26 PM

And Fordham has two top 10 wins over Villanova and Lehigh! I wish!

DSUrocks07
November 17th, 2013, 09:27 PM

Sounds like a marquee bowl game to me xthumbsupx

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 17th, 2013, 09:36 PM

That is an interesting way of looking at it. I am not saying it is wrong, but I would think that beating a "current" top 15, 10, 5 team would hold more weight than beating one that was ranked at the time. Especially since so many people seem to rank teams for past accomplishment early in the season.

It begs the question, was the ranking wrong all along or did the previously high ranked team just fall apart or have injury problems. I don't know. Could be either. Case in point, in week 3 Tenn-Martin beat a #8 Cent Arkansas. Looked great at the time, but would anyone think that is a "great" win still. Gardner-Webb also beat a #12 Richmond that same week. Does not look as good now as it did at the time.

I always like to see where teams end up eventually ranked as another data point, in addition to the ranking when played.

Red & Black
November 17th, 2013, 09:43 PM
+2

+3

Screamin_Eagle174
November 18th, 2013, 09:33 AM
+3

+4

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Eastern Washington University, your 2013 national champions of addition! Congrats boys!

gotts
November 18th, 2013, 10:10 AM
This is another bubblepalooza year. Realistically it's a minimum 8 D1 win year, withou 9 D1 wins to feel safe.

There could be plenty of deserving 8 win teams left at home depending on how things shake out in other conferences. Samford beating Chattanooga really threw a wrench into things.

I'm going to be rooting for Liberty, Montana, NAU, Richmond, SEMO, and YSU in addition to my Hens this week in the hopes that some of the other bubble teams get knocked out. Lehigh needs to take care of business vs Lafayette to prevent a would-be 5-6 Leopards team from taking the autobid.

Autobid is the autobid, doesn't matter who wins it from the PL. They're getting two teams in regardless; Fordham and the AQ.

kalm
November 18th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Eastern Washington University, your 2013 national champions of addition! Congrats boys!

/0

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
/0
-$Texas

Tealblood
November 18th, 2013, 10:14 AM
that should be Texas with a dollar sign

Dane96
November 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM
My projected bracket...rip away....

Butler(PFL) at Bethune-Cookman(MEAC) vs 1. NDSU(11-0)
SUU(8-4) at SHSU(9-3) 8. NAU(9-2)
Sacred Heart(NEC) at Fordham(11-1) vs 4. Maine(11-1)
Lehigh(Patriot) at YSU(8-4) vs 5. Towson(10-2)

Furman(SoCon) at Tenn State(9-3) 2. EIU(11-1)
William and Mary(8-4) at CCU(Big South) vs 7. McNeese St(10-2)
Samford(8-4) at SCSU(9-3) vs 6. SELA(10-2)
SDSU(8-4) at Montana(10-2) vs 3. EWU(10-2)

Bubble burst:
Delaware(7-5)
Chatty(8-4)
UNI(7-5)
Montana State(7-5)
CSU(10-3)
Liberty(8-4)
Jax State(9-3)

I'd take a 7-5 UD, UNI or Montana State over a 9-3 Tenn State or SCSU. SOS isn't even in the same ballpark...and I think all three of those teams beat SCSU handily.

FargoBison
November 18th, 2013, 10:54 AM
I'd take a 7-5 UD, UNI or Montana State over a 9-3 Tenn State or SCSU. SOS isn't even in the same ballpark...and I think all three of those teams beat SCSU handily.

I'd have UNI in over them but I don't exactly have a lot of faith in the committee going with a 7-5 team.

clenz
November 18th, 2013, 11:03 AM
A 7-5 UNI team would finish the season on a 3 game win streak over a top 15 rated team, a team that finished 2nd/3rd in the conference, and WIU.....

3 OT in a row is a real ****ing bitch

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
A 7-5 UNI team would finish the season on a 3 game win streak over a top 15 rated team, a team that finished 2nd/3rd in the conference, and WIU.....

3 OT in a row is a real ****ing bitch

SIU lost the MVC leader in offense and an all-American TE, we should get special consideration too.xcoffeex

clenz
November 18th, 2013, 11:47 AM
SIU lost the MVC leader in offense and an all-American TE, we should get special consideration too.xcoffeex
Get back to me when on top of your best TE you lose

starting QB - have to play the back up who has played WR since getting to campus and suffered a concussion of his own
starting RB
2nd string RB
2 top WR
starting TE
starting OT
best DT
2 starting LB - with the third at about 70%
2 starting DBs

Oh, as for the "only missing one player" against SIU

Going into the SIU game we had
starting QB with a concussion
starting RB
2nd string RB
2 top WR
starting TE
starting OT
best DT
starting DT playing on 1 foot
1 starting LB
2 starting DBs

FWIW

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 11:50 AM

starting QB - have to play the back up who has played WR since getting to campus and suffered a concussion of his own
starting RB
2nd string RB
2 top WR
starting TE
starting OT
best DT
2 starting DBs

starting RB
2nd string RB
2 top WR
starting TE
starting OT
best DT
1 starting LB
2 starting DBs

FWIW

Yeah. And our starting o line played one game together out of the first six. Cry me a river.

FormerPokeCenter
November 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM
If you're having THAT many injuries in one year, it's time to get rid of the strength coach and find somebody who understands the value of stretching....

IBleedYellow
November 18th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Nooooooo Jay!! Don't start that discussion again! Their S&C coach is world class according to clenz. UNI just plays against dirty teams all year that hurt their team with cheap shots. It's not the S&C's fault for that!

clenz
November 18th, 2013, 01:19 PM
If you're having THAT many injuries in one year, it's time to get rid of the strength coach and find somebody who understands the value of stretching....
These aren't issues that a trainer would prevent - we have a trainer that has worked with, and gotten, many athletes to the olympics BTW.

Multiple torn ACLs
Broken legs
multiple concussions
Dislocated elbows
broken bones in feet
High ankle sprains that keep guys out for 5-6 weeks

Yeah, no amount of stretching can prevent that.

FWIW SC coach's resume from UNIPanthers.com
Jed Smith has a wide and varied background in strength and conditioning training. Prior to coming to the Cedar Valley, he was the explosive strength training coach for the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League. He has also assisted with the Minnesota Wild of the National Hockey League, the Minnesota Thunder of the United Soccer League and Penn State football in an effort to incorporate explosive strength training into their individual programs.
Beginning in June of 2002, he was an exercise and sports science instructor at Dakota County Technical College in Rosemount, Minn. He also served as the Minnesota USA Weightlifting Regional Training Center director during the same time frame. He had several coaching assignments at Rosemount High School, including ninth grade boy's basketball and wrestling, starting in 1996. He served as Rosemount's strength training and conditioning coach for all sports from 1997-2002, was head boy's tennis coach from 2000-02, and coached the school's Olympic weight lifting from 1999-2002.
Smith is still heavily involved in the sport of Olympic weightlifting. He coached former UNI football player Jason Fiacco, who made the Pan American team in the spring of 2006. Fiacco represented Team USA in Cali, Colombia, where he took home a bronze medal.
Smith is very active in the community, having worked on bringing an Olympic Development Center to the City of Waterloo. In July of 2007, Smith, UNI, Cedar Valley Medical, XL Acceleration and members of the Cedar Valley community opened a non-profit training center with the goal of developing athletes from the grass-roots level up to elite status, eventually to compete and National and World levels in the Sports of Weightlifting and Tae Kwon Do.

Red & Black
November 18th, 2013, 01:26 PM

starting RB
2nd string RB
2 top WR
starting TE
starting OT
best DT
2 starting DBs

starting RB
2nd string RB
2 top WR
starting TE
starting OT
best DT
1 starting LB
2 starting DBs

FWIW

UNI's season has been a lot like EWU in 2011 with all the injuries. Talented team, but had an unprecedented number of key injuries, including 4/5 starters on the offensive line, both DT's, 2 starting LB's, starting Safety, plus Brandon Kaufman and others all lost for the season. I don't care how talented a team you have, it's difficult to overcome all that and win the close games when you're playing essentially walk-ons in several key positions. I remember not having enough healthy players to fill out the travel squad when we played Cal Poly that season. Complete disaster. We still found a way to finish with a winning record that season, but boy was it ugly.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 18th, 2013, 01:30 PM
These aren't issues that a trainer would prevent - we have a trainer that has worked with, and gotten, many athletes to the olympics BTW.

Multiple torn ACLs
Broken legs
multiple concussions
Dislocated elbows
broken bones in feet

Jed Smith has a wide and varied background in strength and conditioning training. Prior to coming to the Cedar Valley, he was the explosive strength training coach for the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League. He has also assisted with the Minnesota Wild of the National Hockey League, the Minnesota Thunder of the United Soccer League and Penn State football in an effort to incorporate explosive strength training into their individual programs.
Beginning in June of 2002, he was an exercise and sports science instructor at Dakota County Technical College in Rosemount, Minn. He also served as the Minnesota USA Weightlifting Regional Training Center director during the same time frame. He had several coaching assignments at Rosemount High School, including ninth grade boy's basketball and wrestling, starting in 1996. He served as Rosemount's strength training and conditioning coach for all sports from 1997-2002, was head boy's tennis coach from 2000-02, and coached the school's Olympic weight lifting from 1999-2002.
Smith is still heavily involved in the sport of Olympic weightlifting. He coached former UNI football player Jason Fiacco, who made the Pan American team in the spring of 2006. Fiacco represented Team USA in Cali, Colombia, where he took home a bronze medal.
Smith is very active in the community, having worked on bringing an Olympic Development Center to the City of Waterloo. In July of 2007, Smith, UNI, Cedar Valley Medical, XL Acceleration and members of the Cedar Valley community opened a non-profit training center with the goal of developing athletes from the grass-roots level up to elite status, eventually to compete and National and World levels in the Sports of Weightlifting and Tae Kwon Do.

Tired players get hurt. Your DL that fell into Farley was getting owned and just fell over.

lionsrking2
November 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Multiple torn ACLs
Broken legs
multiple concussions
Dislocated elbows
broken bones in feet

I can empathize with you on injuries. We've lost three starting O-linemen ... Senior CB Todd Washington (NFL prospect) got hurt in the NW State game, and is out for the year, plus his backup went down vs McNeese ... our top LB went down against SFA and is out for the year ... we had to play almost the entire Samford game without Bryan Bennett (still won), plus he's been playing with a sprained left knee and strained ligament in throwing thumb the last several weeks ... not to mention, lost our starting slot receiver before the season even began ... I believe we've had 15 surgeries so far. Luckily, we've managed to get by somehow.

clenz
November 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I can empathize with you on injuries. We've lost three starting O-linemen ... Senior CB Todd Washington (NFL prospect) got hurt in the NW State game, and is out for the year, plus his backup went down vs McNeese ... our top LB went down against SFA and is out for the year ... we had to play almost the entire Samford game without Bryan Bennett (still won), plus he's been playing with a sprained left knee and strained ligament in throwing thumb the last several weeks ... not to mention, lost our starting slot receiver before the season even began ... I believe we've had 15 surgeries so far. Luckily, we've managed to get by somehow.
Yeah.

UNI is now at the point where things are gelling together. The big issue was that the players on offense weren't used to each other. The preseason battle for the #2 QB spot was between 4 guys so none of the WRs got a ton of reps with any QBs. The timing of everything has just been slightly off this year which has caused a ton of the issues. Talent is still there but the timing has been an issue and **** just snowballed

That seems to be getting fixed though and the team is looking better. Sadly it may be too late

LeeshaJo
November 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM

I have been saying that since watching the Lions in Brookings.

Walkon79
November 18th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Too bad about Montana St, I was hoping for them to show up in Fargo for a second round game.

Still very much a possibility!

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 03:13 PM
YSU isn't what their record says....they really aren't. Jon is right about that.

Jon also says a win is a win.xcoffeex

dbackjon
November 18th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Jon also says a win is a win.xcoffeex

Yup, and every Big Sky team would have gone 3-1 with YSU's OOC schedule.

You again miss the point. Good teams find ways to win close games.

Playing three patsies in OOC, then a couple more in conference, does not a compelling argument make

Stick
November 18th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Furman has no chance at an at-large, and has playoff odds only through the SoCon autobid. UNH would be in decent shape with a win against Maine.

I agree. I'd say they are likely to get in with a win against Maine. Should be a good game.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Yup, and every Big Sky team would have gone 3-1 with YSU's OOC schedule.

You again miss the point. Good teams find ways to win close games.

Playing three patsies in OOC, then a couple more in conference, does not a compelling argument make

Agreed. Of course neither does a patsy loaded conference schedule....

dbackjon
November 18th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Agreed. Of course neither does a patsy loaded conference schedule....

SUU, Montana, Cal Poly, sac State? All would do quite well in the MVFC.

UND, UNC - those I will give you. On par with WIU and ISUb

So same number of patsies as MVFC, but we avoid playing to non-schollie and one partial schollie teams.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 06:25 PM
SUU, Montana, Cal Poly, sac State? All would do quite well in the MVFC.

UND, UNC - those I will give you. On par with WIU and ISUb

So same number of patsies as MVFC, but we avoid playing to non-schollie and one partial schollie teams.

Idaho State. Weber State. And if WIU is a patsy then so is Davis.

So by your standards 3 MVC patsies, 5 Big Sky patsies.

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Idaho State. Weber State. And if WIU is a patsy then so is Davis.

So by your standards 3 MVC patsies, 5 Big Sky patsies.

Big Sky 13 team conference. MV an 8 (or possible 1) team conference.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 07:01 PM
xlolx Big Sky possible one team conference. (MVC is 10 teams)

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Big Sky 13 team conference. MV an 8 (or possible 1) team conference.

Big Sky probably does have a few more upper FCS teams this year:

EWU
Montana
NAU - maybe with this one

Then some competitive ones:

SUU
Montana State
PSU -- maybe on this one....maybe

Then some mediocre teams:

Cal Poly
Sac State
Davis
UND
ISU
UNC
Weber

The MV is probably a little more top heavy this year. A lot of mediocre teams in the middle of the pack. But IMO, SDSU if they get in and go to a BSC team for their first game, will be a tough out for any of those teams.

Injuries have hurt a lot of Valley teams this year. Part of FB....need depth.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Big Sky probably does have a few more upper FCS teams this year:

EWU
Montana
NAU - maybe with this one

Then some competitive ones:

SUU
Montana State
PSU -- maybe on this one....maybe

Then some mediocre teams:

Cal Poly
Sac State
Davis
UND
ISU
UNC
Weber

The MV is probably a little more top heavy this year. A lot of mediocre teams in the middle of the pack. But IMO, SDSU if they get in and go to a BSC team for their first game, will be a tough out for any of those teams.

Injuries have hurt a lot of Valley teams this year. Part of FB....need depth.

They're a combined 3-26 in conference and 8-36 overall, I guess Indiana State is mediocre too....

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2013, 08:16 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Settle down.

I just 'lumped' them all together.

ValleyTalk
November 18th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Massey Top 25
MVFC - 6 in Top 25 (7th - Missouri State is at #26)
Big Sky - 3

More than just the NDSU to make it the best conference in the FCS.

FargoBison
November 18th, 2013, 10:25 PM
If NAU and Montana both win their next games I will put them in the upper tier. To me those are statement games for both teams, good teams get it done on the road.