PDA

View Full Version : Yale?

DetroitFlyer
October 9th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Yale has not lost a game since they were destroyed by San Diego? Hmmmmmmm.... It is looking more and more like a non-scholarship, PFL team is much better than most here are willing to admit....

OL FU
October 9th, 2006, 08:15 AM
LAst time I looked San Diego was rated in the AGS Poll:confused:

ngineer
October 9th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Yale certainly looks for real. And as pointed out, San Diego is ranked, so I'm not sure the point. Those of us who vote in the poll have certainly taken notice of them.
Lehigh travels to the Yale Bowl this coming Saturday. So I'm looking forward to this matchup. The last two meetings between Lehigh and Yale have gone down to the wire. The Ivy League is looking real tough this year and is a shame that none of their top teams will be in the playoffs. Having seen them year in, year out there is little question that the Ivy Champion is of Top Ten caliber in I-AA.
Should San Diego run the table, I believe they deserve strong consideration for a playoff berth.

cosmo here
October 9th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Should San Diego run the table, I believe they deserve strong consideration for a playoff berth.

except they have a game that weekend xcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Yale certainly looks for real. And as pointed out, San Diego is ranked, so I'm not sure the point. Those of us who vote in the poll have certainly taken notice of them.
Lehigh travels to the Yale Bowl this coming Saturday. So I'm looking forward to this matchup. The last two meetings between Lehigh and Yale have gone down to the wire. The Ivy League is looking real tough this year and is a shame that none of their top teams will be in the playoffs. Having seen them year in, year out there is little question that the Ivy Champion is of Top Ten caliber in I-AA.

Yale is on the cusp of my AGS Top 25, along with Penn, which would give me 4 Ivies I'm considering for my Top 25. As for Yale, if they can beat my Mountain Hawks this weekend, I think they will be in my Top 25 next week.

To me, Yale's victories are marginally more impressive than Penn's.

dbackjon
October 9th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Or maybe Yale just had a bad game against USD?

carney2
October 9th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I've managed to sneak Princeton and Penn - as well as Harvard - into my top 25. It is more a case of a grab bag of less than great choices once you get below number 15 than true respect for the Ivy League. (Who am I gonna vote for? Montana State? Georgia Southern?) Let's be honest guys, in the incestuous world that is Ivy football we don't know what we have here. Consider:

Princeton - has beaten 3 Patsy League teams and Columbia

Penn - has beaten bottom feeder Dartmouth and 2 Patsys in addition to losing to a not great Villanova team

Yale - blown out by San Diego, has beaten Cornell and Dartmouth (both Ivy second division teams) and a Patsy

I think that the cheerleaders need to have their enthusiasm for "strong Ivy teams" reigned in a little here. So far I'm buying Harvard as pretty strong, but the rest of them...?

89Hen
October 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Yale has not lost a game since they were destroyed by San Diego? Hmmmmmmm.... It is looking more and more like a non-scholarship, PFL team is much better than most here are willing to admit....
They beat two teams they beat last year on the way to their 4-6 season and a third that is 0-3 vs. Ivy this year (soon to be 0-4). We don't know if they'll be 4-6 or 5-5 or 9-1 yet. xcoffeex

Torero Tradition
October 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM

:bang: Unfortunatley the Gridiron Classic is considered a post-season game, therefore if San Diego is to play in it, they would be in-eligible for the playoffs. : smh :

siugrad99
October 9th, 2006, 01:19 PM
ANOTHER Thread about the phantom playoff birth for San Diego

blur2005
October 9th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I've managed to sneak Princeton and Penn - as well as Harvard - into my top 25. It is more a case of a grab bag of less than great choices once you get below number 15 than true respect for the Ivy League. (Who am I gonna vote for? Montana State? Georgia Southern?) Let's be honest guys, in the incestuous world that is Ivy football we don't know what we have here. Consider:

Princeton - has beaten 3 Patsy League teams and Columbia

Penn - has beaten bottom feeder Dartmouth and 2 Patsys in addition to losing to a not great Villanova team

Yale - blown out by San Diego, has beaten Cornell and Dartmouth (both Ivy second division teams) and a Patsy

I think that the cheerleaders need to have their enthusiasm for "strong Ivy teams" reigned in a little here. So far I'm buying Harvard as pretty strong, but the rest of them...?
I tend to agree with this, though I do have Princeton ranked, along with Harvard of course. It'll take a lot for me to rank the other two.

ngineer
October 9th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Penn's close loss to Villanova and Lehigh's win over Villanova are becoming a little more significant in light of the Wildcat's win over Hofstra this weekend.
I disagree with Mr. Black Cloud 'Carney' in denigrating the PL's. The top eschelon of the Ivy can compete with the top of any I-AA league. Too many are dismissive of them because of their non-participation in the playoffs. I think this just happens to be one of those years where the top Ivies are slightly better than the top PL. The great majority of the games have been very competitive.

Mr. C
October 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM
As I've been saying for some time, the Ivy League is pretty competitive this year. There probably isn't a great team like Harvard and Brown have been in the past two years, but there are four or five teams that are pretty good. I saw Yale's game against Lafayette and came away impressed, particularly with the Bulldogs' offense. From what I've heard (waiting to get a look at the Yale-San Diego tape), San Diego exploited Yale's defense with speed. Currently, I have Harvard, Princeton and Penn all in my top-25.

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2006, 12:43 AM
What happens when San Diego loses? Do they keep going on about a possible playoff birth like certain NEC teams?

ngineer
October 10th, 2006, 08:08 AM
What happens when San Diego loses? Do they keep going on about a possible playoff birth like certain NEC teams?

Sure....;)

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Or maybe Yale just had a bad game against USD?

Yup.. Yale had not clue who would run their offense until game one and their star LB was hurt that week, or the week before. I call it the 'Patriot' effect.. Pats get blown out 31-0 week one 2003 after losing Lawyer Milloy.. then they get their act togehter and go on a tear.

I actually predicted Yale would win the Ivy, but the injury to their star LB and loss to San Diego really soured them in my mind...

And true LFN, Yale's wins are more impressive than Penn's. Ivy would be a two-bidder IMO.. Harvard and Princeton right now..

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2006, 09:42 AM

We all point the finger and say 'told ya-so'.

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
:bang: Unfortunatley the Gridiron Classic is considered a post-season game, therefore if San Diego is to play in it, they would be in-eligible for the playoffs. : smh :

Regardless San Diego - CCSU/Monmouth would be a very good game.