PDA

View Full Version : TSN - Week Six Review: Welcome Dome

TexasTerror
October 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM
The weekly recap from Matt D of the The Sports Network...

Extra Point - Week Six Review: Welcome Dome

By Matt Dougherty, I-AA Football Editor

Philadelphia, PA - There would be no bottles of pills, nurses’ outfits or two- letter serenades waiting for Terry Allen’s return to the UNI-Dome.

After a week of listening to talk radio and fans in my home of Philadelphia come up with ideas ranging from the creative to the despicable to taunt former star Terrell Owens, I wondered what Northern Iowa Panther fans could have in store as former head coach Terry Allen led his new team, the Missouri State Bears, into Cedar Falls.

The circumstances were much different, of course. Allen helped build the UNI program, but he left a decade ago to move on to Kansas. After stints as the Jayhawks’ head coach and as an assistant at Iowa State, Allen came back to the Gateway Conference this season to try to build the Missouri State program. But Allen did take a few UNI assistant coaches with him, so maybe a few UNI fans would take a cue from the fans from the City of Brotherly Love except for the opposing athletes.

As it turns out, the hoopla surrounding Allen’s return to the UNI-Dome was much ado about nothing. Allen led his team out on the field as the fans that remembered his UNI tenure gave a cheer while the rest of the crowd and the student section gave the customary boos for the opposing coach. A muted reaction for Allen and his team could have something to do with Missouri State’s current status as well, as the Bears were no match for UNI in a 38-7 Panther victory that could have been worse.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4043866.htm