PDA

View Full Version : Article on Harvard coach Murphy

bonarae
June 15th, 2005, 05:32 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/8547166

Ivytalk
June 15th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Fine article, on the whole. Tim Murphy is a class act. His players would walk on hot coals for the guy.

WMTribe90
June 15th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Still, it can be argued Murphy is the hottest prospect not to have a I-A job. What's negative about winning at one of the most prestigious universities in the world with staggering recruiting limitations?

I met Coach Murphy in 1995. I was very impressed with him. He is very similar to Coach Laycock at WM. Both realize they have job security and enjoy working with true student athletes.

As for the above quote, I believe the distinction of "hottest prospect" likely belongs to Laycock. He actually accepted the BC job back in the early 90's I believe only to back out at the 11th hour. His name comes up nearly every year with respect to IA vacancies. Vanderbilt, SMU, East Carolina and others have come calling, but Laycock (like Murphy) isn't actively pursuing IA jobs. At this point, the only job I could see Laycock taking would be UVA, if it was offered.

HensRock
June 15th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Coach Murphy was VERY close to being head coach at Delaware when Tubby retired. It was a huge fiasco. Rumors were that the university president actually made him an offer w/o approval of the board that was formed to find a new coach. The offer may have even been retracted. Story is that Murphy was disgusted by the poor handling of the situation and walked away. Tubby and others then worked very hard to get KC in.