PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls St @ SHSU (HC) - Game Thread

TexasTerror
October 8th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Sam Houston State returns to Huntsville after four straight games on the road, two of which were against I-A teams. For the Kats, not only is this game Homecoming, but it is an opprotunity to make a statement at home against a team they are tied for first place in the Southland COnference against, the Colonels of Nicholls State.

SHSU enters the game, fresh off a 30-20 win over the Demons of Northwestern State, the first win for the Kats at Northwestern St since 2000. Leading the Kats during that first SLC game were Brandon Perry who put together over 200 yards on just four receptions and DD Terry who once more showed his speed in scoring on the first play of the first drive of the game.

The defending SLC champion Colonels are coming into town after playing Southeastern Louisiana and winning 14-10 at home. The game could have gone either way, but it was the Colonels who had the last laugh coming up with a third quarter TD to make the final score and getting huge defensive plays in the fourth quarter to hold on.

Jay Thomas and the Colonels are still running the option that all the Kats faithful are familiar with seeing each time the Colonels hit the field against the Kats. The Colonels put the ball on the ground compared to the pass by over a six to one ratio.

The Kats rush defense will have to step it up in order for the Kats to claw a victory out, but infront of a nice Homecoming crowd at Bowers Stadium and first-place on the line, the Kats will come out ready to put on a show.

Nicholls State University Colonels vs. Sam Houston State University Bearkats
2 pm, Saturday, October 14th
Bowers Stadium · Huntsville, Texas (Homecoming)

Audio:
NICH: http://www.kbze.com
SHSU: http://www.tsrnsports.com/Broadcast/Broad-U-Sam-Houston.htm

Game Release:
NICH: None available via the Internet
SHSU: http://bearkats.shsu.edu/pdf/fbrelease.pdf

Team Sites:
NICH: http://colonelsports.com/football_news.html
SHSU: http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football

Fan Boards:
NICH: http://forums.delphiforums.com/nicholls/start
SHSU: http://www.katfans.com

Southland Conference:
Weekly Release: http://www.fansonly.com/photos/schools/soul/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/100906fbweekly.pdf (available Monday PM)
Weekly Teleconference: http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/06-coaches-teleconference.html (available on Tuesday PM)

TexasTerror
October 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM
SHSU Amongst National Leaders (Top 15)
15th - Sacks Allowed - 1 spg

SHSU Amongst SLC Leaders (Top 2)
1st - Kickoff Returns - 19.24 ypr
1st - Sacks Allowed - 1 spg
1st - Passing Efficiency - 122.84
2nd - Passing Offense - 225.2 ypg
2nd - Scoring Offense - 21.6 ppg
2nd - Rushing Defense - 131.8 ypg

SHSU (Individiduals) Amongst National Leaders (Top 15)
None

SHSU (Individuals) Amongst SLC (Top 3)
2nd - Rushing - DD Terry - 78.25 ypg
2nd - Scoring - DD Terry - 6.0 ppg
2nd - Sacks - Ed Jackson - .6 spg
2nd - Kickoff Returns - Derrick Harris - 21.25 ypr
2nd - Passing Efficiency - Brett Hicks - 115.73
3rd - Receptions Per Game - Blake Martin - 3 rpg

TexasTerror
October 8th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Throwing in the Sagarin Ratings while I'm at it...

Southland Conference Ratings

132 Sam Houston State AA = 57.66
159 Northwestern State AA = 50.42
169 Nicholls State AA = 48.88
173 Stephen F. Austin AA = 48.68
184 McNeese State AA = 47.06
206 SE Louisiana AA = 40.25
221 Texas State AA = 33.59

October 8th, 2006, 02:04 PM
hey tex, good luck stopping them we seem to come up short every time
we(slu) play them! i dont know what is more frustrating than trying to stop the option. i thought for sure we would beat them this year, somehow their coach keeps pulling them out.

TexasTerror
October 8th, 2006, 05:08 PM
hey tex, good luck stopping them we seem to come up short every time
we(slu) play them! i dont know what is more frustrating than trying to stop the option. i thought for sure we would beat them this year, somehow their coach keeps pulling them out.

Recent SHSU results against Nicholls
2005 (LA) - 37-17 Nicholls
2004 (TX) - 38-10 SHSU
2003 (LA) - 37-12 Nicholls
2002 (TX) - 34-16 Nicholls
2001 (LA) - 35-32 SHSU
2000 (LA) - 27-21 SHSU

Every game, if you throw out the 2000 and 2001 games have had margins of 16 or more. The thought that SHSU needs to come out early and make the Colonels throw the ball is going to hold true this week. That's going to be a challenge, but the Kats were surprisingly able to do it against Northwestern St, taking the crowd out of the game and taking the game away from NWST...

Bearkatpresident
October 8th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I bet it's going to feel a bit strange for the players, after so many weeks of playing on the road in hostile territory, to finally be able to play in a jam-packed home crowd with orange everywhere you look.

GeauxColonels
October 8th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Recent SHSU results against Nicholls
2005 (LA) - 37-17 Nicholls
2004 (TX) - 38-10 SHSU
2003 (LA) - 37-12 Nicholls
2002 (TX) - 34-16 Nicholls
2001 (LA) - 35-32 SHSU
2000 (LA) - 27-21 SHSU

Every game, if you throw out the 2000 and 2001 games have had margins of 16 or more. The thought that SHSU needs to come out early and make the Colonels throw the ball is going to hold true this week. That's going to be a challenge, but the Kats were surprisingly able to do it against Northwestern St, taking the crowd out of the game and taking the game away from NWST...
We have added some wrinkles to the offense this year and throw the ball a little more....not much more...so we're not as uncomfortable as before. We opened the game against SLU with a pass or 2 and also burned Louisiana Tech for a 54yd pass up the gut.

The key for SHSU will be to jump out EARLY by multiple scores....the option is NOT suited for coming from behind. The key for Nicholls State will be to effectively run the option and EAT CLOCK. That's our BIGGEST advantage with the option...but it has to be run successfully and efficiently.

kats89
October 8th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I look for us to jump on early. Several things working against Colonels before they even step on field...

1.. Homecoming weekend.
2. Kats at home after 4 grueling weeks on the road. Fans will be loud.

Kats will be busting out new home uniforms on Saturday. Cant wait to see.:hurray:

Hansel
October 8th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I look for us to jump on early. Several things working against Colonels before they even step on field...

1.. Homecoming weekend.
2. Kats at home after 4 grueling weeks on the road. Fans will be loud.

Kats will be busting out new home uniforms on Saturday. Cant wait to see.:hurray:
they wearing black home jerseys like Texas State?

blackfordpu
October 8th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I bet it's going to feel a bit strange for the players, after so many weeks of playing on the road in hostile territory, to finally be able to play in a jam-packed home crowd with orange everywhere you look.

Yea, I'm buying my ticktes first thing tomorrow. If the crowd at the first game this season is any indication, we may actually get close to a sell out.:nod:

blackfordpu
October 8th, 2006, 07:34 PM
they wearing black home jerseys like Texas State?

Most likely orange.

malachi
October 8th, 2006, 11:14 PM
This will be a very tough game for the colonels.

blackfordpu
October 8th, 2006, 11:27 PM
This will be a very tough game for the colonels.

I think it will be tough for both teams.

October 9th, 2006, 02:40 PM
most teams in our conference will not be intiminated by the crowds in our confernce, we went to textech and nicholls went to nebraska so i do not feel like having a full house at SH will hurt nicholls but it is always good to play at home. the fans will be excited and that will make for a good game.

blackfordpu
October 9th, 2006, 04:47 PM
most teams in our conference will not be intiminated by the crowds in our confernce, we went to textech and nicholls went to nebraska so i do not feel like having a full house at SH will hurt nicholls but it is always good to play at home. the fans will be excited and that will make for a good game.

It isn't always the noise but just the atmosphere that can give the home team the advantage. Noise does help but with all the elder Kat fans that come to the games, we have to rely on atmosphere.:o

Bearkatpresident
October 9th, 2006, 05:17 PM

I don't think it'll hurt Nicholls as much as it's going to be a huge boost for the Kats. They've just completed the Road Trip from Hell and are coming home to a packed homecoming crowd. It'll do wonders for morale, which is already high.

Sam_Kats
October 9th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Hope the Kat Faithful shows up for this one!! Should be a great game with an even greater atmosphere...here's to the Kats starting 2-0 in SLC play!!:beerchug: :hurray: :thumbsup: :bow:

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Bearkats football release is up:

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/pdf/fbrelease.pdf

blackfordpu
October 9th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Bearkats football release is up:

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/pdf/fbrelease.pdf

Got your tickets yet TT?

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Got your tickets yet TT?

Sorta, not exactly... ;)

I'll have my way into the game waiting at Will Call...:thumbsup:

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Here's a guy the Colonels defense will definitely have to keep an eye on...

Big play maker

SHSU’s Perry named SLC player of the week after Saturday’s performance
Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

Sam Houston State wide receiver Brandon Perry couldn’t have picked a better time to have his break out game.

The La Marque High School product showed his playmaking abilities Saturday by catching four passes for 203 yards and two touchdowns to help the Bearkats open Southland Conference play with 30-20 victory at Northwestern State.

With just over three minutes left to play in the first half, Perry caught a pass from quarterback Brett Hicks and slipped a tackle to race 94 yards for a touchdown to give SHSU a 21-6 lead going into the break. The play was the second longest touchdown pass in Bearkat history.

The senior was far from done after that. In the third quarter, Hicks hit him again over the middle, and he took the ball 69 yards before dragging several Demon defenders into the end zone for his second score of the night.

Perry was rewarded for his performance Monday by being named the SLC offensive player of the week.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_282231946.html

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2006, 07:19 AM
More positive Bearkat coverage! This time about Hicks from the Houston Chronicle...

Hicks answers Bearkats'
quarterback questions
After false starts, Sam Houston finds the right man

By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Sam Houston State coach Todd Whitten had uncertainty with his quarterbacks last season, and he didn't like the looks of things when Wade Pate separated his left shoulder in this season's opener and Phillip Daugherty foundered the next week.

Following those issues, Brett Hicks became the Bearkats' third starter in as many weeks at Missouri State. Three games later, the transition has gone smoother than anticipated.

Hicks has received help from his teammates. Tailback D.D. Terry ranks third in the Southland Conference in rushing (69.0 yards per game with three TDs), while receivers Blake Martin, Michael Malone and Brandon Perry, who on Monday was named SLC Offensive Player of the Week, have provided Hicks options through the air.

The offensive line — tackles Brandon Hale and Lance Hancock, guards Hunter Schmidt and Ryan Dretke, and center Brennan Williams — has allowed only five sacks.

"They're a really tight-knit group, as you really need to be if you're going to have a good offensive line," Whitten said. "They come early. They stay late. They watch a lot of film."

Of course, Hicks deserves credit for stepping in and guiding the ship. In a 30-20 win at Northwestern State last weekend, he passed for 299 yards and three TDs.

"He's taking care of the ball well. The two interceptions he threw last week were absolutely not his fault," Whitten said. "He's managing the offense, and he's an accurate guy. He's doing everything we've asked him to do. I'm very proud of Brett.

"I am a little surprised. Brett is not a guy that's going to jump out and get your attention at practice. He really seems to respond when the lights come on and it's time to play. He has a certain amount of savvy that is hard to uncover unless it's game day."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4250416.html

blackfordpu
October 11th, 2006, 07:42 AM
More positive Bearkat coverage! This time about Hicks from the Houston Chronicle...

Hicks answers Bearkats'
quarterback questions
After false starts, Sam Houston finds the right man

By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Sam Houston State coach Todd Whitten had uncertainty with his quarterbacks last season, and he didn't like the looks of things when Wade Pate separated his left shoulder in this season's opener and Phillip Daugherty foundered the next week.

Following those issues, Brett Hicks became the Bearkats' third starter in as many weeks at Missouri State. Three games later, the transition has gone smoother than anticipated.

Hicks has received help from his teammates. Tailback D.D. Terry ranks third in the Southland Conference in rushing (69.0 yards per game with three TDs), while receivers Blake Martin, Michael Malone and Brandon Perry, who on Monday was named SLC Offensive Player of the Week, have provided Hicks options through the air.

The offensive line — tackles Brandon Hale and Lance Hancock, guards Hunter Schmidt and Ryan Dretke, and center Brennan Williams — has allowed only five sacks.

"They're a really tight-knit group, as you really need to be if you're going to have a good offensive line," Whitten said. "They come early. They stay late. They watch a lot of film."

Of course, Hicks deserves credit for stepping in and guiding the ship. In a 30-20 win at Northwestern State last weekend, he passed for 299 yards and three TDs.

"He's taking care of the ball well. The two interceptions he threw last week were absolutely not his fault," Whitten said. "He's managing the offense, and he's an accurate guy. He's doing everything we've asked him to do. I'm very proud of Brett.

"I am a little surprised. Brett is not a guy that's going to jump out and get your attention at practice. He really seems to respond when the lights come on and it's time to play. He has a certain amount of savvy that is hard to uncover unless it's game day."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4250416.html

Finally, some love from the Chronicle! :hurray:

Way to go Hicks. :nod:

blackfordpu
October 12th, 2006, 07:26 AM
They finally posted the game info. There are many errors in it too.

THIS WEEK
Sam Houston State Bearkats (3-2) vs. Nicholls State Colonels (2-2)
Saturday, Nov. 14, 2006 - 2 p.m. - Bowers Stadium - Huntsville, Texas

Live Play-by-play on KSAM 101.7 Radio

GAME INFORMATION
Game Site: Bowers Stadium
Ticket Prices: West Side Orange Chair Back Seats .........$18
West Side Bench Seats .................................................. .$10
East Side Adult General Admission ...................................$5
Radio: KSAM 101.7 FM
Internet Radio: www.ksam1017.com

HOMECOMING AT SAM HOUSTON STATE
Saturday’s game with Nicholls is the 73rd annual Homecoming Weekend at Sam Houston State. The Bearkats are 12-8 in Homecoming games at Bowers Stadium. SHSU stands 32-39-1 overall in Homecoming contests.

SAM HOUSTON, NICHOLLS TIED FOR FIRST PLACE
Sam Houston and Nicholls each won their Southland Conference openers last weekend, putting the Bearkats and the Colonels in a three-way tie for first place in the league standings with SFA.

SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE OPENING VICTORY
For only the seventh time in their 20 seasons as a Southland Conference member, the Bearkats won their league opener with a 30-20 victory at Northwestern State last Saturday. Three of the previous six times the Bearkats opened the Southland with a victory, Sam Houston went on to win the league title (1991, 2001, 2004). SHSU also won its SLC openers in 1996, 1999, and 2000.

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/release.html

TexasTerror
October 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Bfpu,

The game info comes straight from the release, just in basic HTML format instead of coming to you in a PDF file. Yes, there were some small errors, but we can live.

On that note, got back into Houston this AM. Not a bad flight. Sat next to a guy who had a child who played at Nicholls St, left the team and football, but re-emerged at Southeastern Louisiana before becoming a graduate assistant. Not sure on the name, but the kid is now a Div II assistant coach after Hal Mumme made a reference or two.

Looking forward to Saturday!

blackfordpu
October 12th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Bfpu,

The game info comes straight from the release, just in basic HTML format instead of coming to you in a PDF file. Yes, there were some small errors, but we can live.

On that note, got back into Houston this AM. Not a bad flight. Sat next to a guy who had a child who played at Nicholls St, left the team and football, but re-emerged at Southeastern Louisiana before becoming a graduate assistant. Not sure on the name, but the kid is now a Div II assistant coach after Hal Mumme made a reference or two.

Looking forward to Saturday!

Oops. :o

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Tough task before SHSU as we must slow down the Colonels' option!

Slowing down the Colonels

Bearkats hope to contain dangerous option attack

Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

Four-hundred and seventy-one is a number that still haunts the Sam Houston State football team.

That’s because it is the number of rushing yards the Bearkats gave up to Nicholls State in last season’s 37-17 setback in Thibodaux, La. With a triple-option rushing attack, the Colonels often put up big numbers, so it’s not a matter of stopping them.

It’s containing them by not allowing big plays that SHSU head coach Todd Whitten sees as the Bearkats’ key to picking up a win in Saturday’s Southland Conference home opener at Bowers Stadium.

“I feel like we have a lot to prove,” Whitten said about last season’s loss. “Nicholls State had a good team, but I still think we did not play our best. They are going to get their yards, we just can’t let a big one get out. We can’t give up 400 yards again. We need to probably cut that in half. But we have been on the road for a month and it’s homecoming, so I expect our guys to be ready to play Saturday.”

The Colonels (2-3 overall, 1-0 in SLC) are averaging 214 rushing yards a game this season, down from 360 in 2005. But Nicholls has played a tough schedule thus far, suffering losses to Division I-A Nebraska and Louisiana Tech.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_286003221.html?keyword=secondarystory

blackfordpu
October 13th, 2006, 07:38 AM
You always beat me to the articles TT! :bang: ;)

kats89
October 13th, 2006, 08:52 AM
400 yds wont happen tomorrow.:nono:

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Nicholls vs SHSU is the I-AA West GOTW according to SHSU's favorite Bison, Kent Schmidt...

I-AA West Game of the Week

Nicholls State (2-3, 1-0 SLC) at Sam Houston State (3-2, 1-0 SLC), 2 pm, October 14th

The Southland Conference has not shined in the I-AA West this year and in fact, this is my first game of the week for any team associated with this league. This game, however, will mean a lot towards determining the Southland titleholder this year.

Both teams are coming off of league game opening wins. Nicholls State won their game at home against Southeastern Louisiana 14-10, while Sam Houston State won at Northwestern State 30-20.

Both of these teams have two of their losses against I-A teams and both have one victory against DII teams. Nicholls State’s other loss was to the Great West’s South Dakota State, while Sam Houston State’s other win was at the Gateway’s Missouri State.

Last year, Nicholls State blew out SHSU 37-17 and holds an 11-9-1 edge in the series.

For Sam Houston State, their defense will need to gear up for the option attack that Nicholls State employs. Six Colonels have rushed for over 100 yards thus far with Michael McLendon leading the way with 270 yards and four touchdowns and Broderick Cole just behind with 217 yards and five touchdowns.

Junior SHSU quarterback Brett Hicks has completed 66-of-111 passes for 721 yards and three touchdowns in five games this year. Hicks took over as quarterback in the second half at SMU and has run the offense since.

The Bearkats also like to run the ball and have used D. D. Terry the most as he has 313 yards on the ground so far and four touchdowns. Blake Martin is the leading receiver for the Bearkats with 238 receiving yards.

The two defenses are similar as Nicholls State has given up just over 24 points per game and Sam Houston State has given up just over 28 points per game.

I think the game will be right around those averages in scoring and like Sam Houston State at home by under a touchdown in what should be a very competitive game.

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=81447

blackfordpu
October 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM
400 yds wont happen tomorrow.:nono:

Don't jinx us 89. You better find some wood to knock on.:nod:

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2006, 05:04 PM
From the Nicholls St athletic department...

COLONELS COLLIDE WITH BEARKATS FOR TOP SPOT IN CONFERENCE

Thibodaux, La. – The Bearkats and the Colonels are only two of three teams with a win under their belt in Southland Conference play, which makes the 2 p.m. match up on Saturday in Huntsville, Texas even more exciting than it already is.

“It is their homecoming, and they are really good at home,” said head coach Jay Thomas about Sam Houston State. “They are very efficient in what they do, and are going to really tough to beat.”

Sam Houston State (3-2, 1-1) went to Northwestern State and beat the Demons 30-20, and showed that they are a team to be reckoned with this season. The Bearkats displayed their big play potential against Northwestern State with three touchdowns that went for at least 69-yards or more.

Bearkats’ running back D.D. Terry opened the game with a 74-yard touchdown run, and quarterback Brett Hicks followed with a 94- and 69-yard touchdown strikes to ensure the victory.

Catching both the long touchdowns for the Bearkats was wide receiver Brandon Perry, who racked up 203 yards on a mere four receptions. For his performance, Perry was selected Southland Conference Offensive Player of the Week.

“They can break any game wide open on either side of the ball on any given play,” said Thomas, “make no mistake about it, Sam Houston State is a good football team.”

The Colonels (2-3, 1-1) are coming off a 14-10 victory over Southeastern La., and will try to build on their success against Sam Houston State. In the Colonels win over the Lions, fullback Broderick Cole rushed for 101-yards on 15 carries, and finished with a 6.7 yards per carry average.

Linebacker Cory Vavala, who tallied 7 tackles in the win, led Nicholls’ defense over Southeastern La. The Lions did not play their leading rusher Jay Lucas until the second half due to his unspecified violation of team policy, and their starting quarterback was benched because he could not get anything going against the Colonels’ defense.

“Our guys know that they are going to have their work cut out for them this week,” said Thomas. “We are going to have to play four quarters of solid football to have a chance to beat them at their place.”

The Colonels hold a 11-9-1 series advantage over the Bearkats, but Sam Houston State does have a 5-3 edge over Nicholls when playing at Bowers Stadium.

Nicholls is 69-123 when playing on the road in their 34-year history, and 23-45 when playing away from John L. Guidry in the month of October. Thomas is 5-4 when playing in October, and 1-3 when playing on the road in October.

http://www.colonelsports.com/football%20releases/Sam%20Houston%20Release.htm

blackfordpu
October 13th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Lets hope DDT can get moving, if he does the passing game will take off!:nod:

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Game Day Reads:

Huntsville Item: SHSU Gameday; D.D. Terry has found his true calling
http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_287023105.html?keyword=topstory

Baton Rouge Advocate: SLU, Nicholls seek to avoid 0-2 start in Southland
http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/4401121.html

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Without me and bfpu...guess we don't get any in-game coverage! Where were you Nicholls fans?!?!

Game story from Kat Athletics...

HUNTSVILLE -- D. D. Terry carried 30 times for 176 yards including touchdown runs of 3, 1, and 36 yards to lead Sam Houston State to a 37-7 Homecoming victory over Nicholls State at Bowers Stadium.

Terry's 176 yards rushing is the most in one game by a Bearkat running back since Charles Harris gained 215 yards against North Texas in 1993.

A key to the victory were six turnovers forced by the Bearkat defense. Sam Houston State recovered five Nicholls State fumbles and Stanley Garrett picked off a Colonel pass.

Derrick Harris had an outstanding day on special teams, returning three punts for 82 yards including a long of 45 and one kickoff for 23 yards.

Sam Houston State quarterback Brett Hicks completed 12 of 20 passes for 135 yards including a nine-yard touchdown pass to Michael Malone.

Nicholls State's only score came just before halftime when Cory Vavala recovered a Bearkat fumble on the Sam Houston 14 yard line to set for a one-yard score by Chris Bunch.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 14th, 2006, 07:05 PM
wow...way to go kats.

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2006, 07:14 PM
wow...way to go kats.

GO_CATS, this game was something else...

I don't even think this team is playing at it's best because I think Hicks is consistently becoming a better player...

All those turnovers forced by SHSU's defense or coughed up by Nicholls, wow. This game could've been worse. There was atleast one TD called back and the Kats had Nicholls pinned deep in Nicholls territory before two penalties erased two third downs.

This was the biggest I-AA win for the Kats since Dustin Long was QB and the fact of the matter is, this is the defense stepping up, not the offense, though the offense is easily showing signs of greatness, though nothing consistent...

blackfordpu
October 14th, 2006, 10:58 PM
GO_CATS, this game was something else...

I don't even think this team is playing at it's best because I think Hicks is consistently becoming a better player...

All those turnovers forced by SHSU's defense or coughed up by Nicholls, wow. This game could've been worse. There was atleast one TD called back and the Kats had Nicholls pinned deep in Nicholls territory before two penalties erased two third downs.

This was the biggest I-AA win for the Kats since Dustin Long was QB and the fact of the matter is, this is the defense stepping up, not the offense, though the offense is easily showing signs of greatness, though nothing consistent...

I would definetly agree with you there TT. The team seems to be getting better and better each week and in turn they are getting more and more confident.

With the way DDT is playing and the poise that Hicks shows in the pocket we most likely have the biggest duel threat attack in the SLC.:nod:

Can't let up though, we have UCA on a short week this week because of the telecast. Then McNeese St. the following week. Just have to keep showing improvement.

oh yea.....
EAT'EM UP KATS!!

blackfordpu
October 14th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Sam Houston State 37, Nicholls State 7

HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) -- D.D. Terry rushed for 176 yards and three touchdowns as Sam Houston State beat Nicholls State 37-7 on Saturday.

Terry first scored on a 3-yard run that capped an 8-play, 49-yard drive in the first quarter. His 1-yard touchdown with about 10 minutes left before halftime put the Bearkats (4-2, 2-0 Southland) ahead 13-0, and Terry scored again in the fourth.

Brett Hicks completed 13 of 21 passes, including a touchdown and an interception, for Sam Houston State.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=262872534&confId=30

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2006, 05:47 AM
From the Huntsville Item...

Kats kick Colonels
SHSU defense creates six turnovers en route to 37-7 victory

Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

Saturday’s game at Bowers Stadium was a mirror image of last year’s contest in Thibodaux, La. It was physical.

The difference this time around, the Bearkats were the bully pushing Nicholls State around the field.

Sam Houston State slowed down the Colonels’ triple option attack by creating six turnovers, and running back D.D. Terry pounded his way to 178 yards and three touchdowns on the ground in the Bearkats’ 37-7 thrashing of Nicholls State.

The win kept the Bearkats atop the Southland Conference standings at 2-0 and improved their overall record to 4-2. It was the type of performance head coach Todd Whitten was looking for after SHSU was pounded by the Colonels 37-17 last season.

“It’s great to be 2-0 in conference. We beat the defending conference champions, and beat them pretty soundly,” Whitten said. “I was so pleased with our defense, the way they played. We bent but didn’t break early, and got some opportunistic turnovers — five or six today. When you do that you have a chance to win.”

http://itemonline.com/cnhi/itemonline/sports/local_story_288005129.html?keyword=topstory

blackfordpu
October 15th, 2006, 11:03 AM
From the Huntsville Item...

Kats kick Colonels
SHSU defense creates six turnovers en route to 37-7 victory

Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

Saturday’s game at Bowers Stadium was a mirror image of last year’s contest in Thibodaux, La. It was physical.

The difference this time around, the Bearkats were the bully pushing Nicholls State around the field.

Sam Houston State slowed down the Colonels’ triple option attack by creating six turnovers, and running back D.D. Terry pounded his way to 178 yards and three touchdowns on the ground in the Bearkats’ 37-7 thrashing of Nicholls State.

The win kept the Bearkats atop the Southland Conference standings at 2-0 and improved their overall record to 4-2. It was the type of performance head coach Todd Whitten was looking for after SHSU was pounded by the Colonels 37-17 last season.

“It’s great to be 2-0 in conference. We beat the defending conference champions, and beat them pretty soundly,” Whitten said. “I was so pleased with our defense, the way they played. We bent but didn’t break early, and got some opportunistic turnovers — five or six today. When you do that you have a chance to win.”

http://itemonline.com/cnhi/itemonline/sports/local_story_288005129.html?keyword=topstory

What are you doing up so early on a Sunday, psycho?:nod:

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2006, 11:08 AM
What are you doing up so early on a Sunday, psycho?:nod:

When I'm at my parent's home, I always tend to wake up early. Not having DirecTV (like I do in NOLA) and just the basics doesn't do much to keep me up especially since my GF went out with some friends in NOLA last night for a Girls' Night Out...

I need to get back to NOLA and later wakeups! Of course, I got to be up early on Tuesday (my last vacation day) in order to go to the DMV and take care of all that kind of stuff...

blackfordpu
October 15th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Stats:
Brett Hicks 13/21 148 yards, 7.0 avg, 1td, 1int

CAR YDS AVG TD LG
D.D. Terry 30 176 5.9 3 36
Andrew Audelin 2 10 5.0 1 7

REC YDS AVG TD LG
Blake Martin 3 37 12.3 0 17
D.D. Terry 3 15 5.0 0 18
Brian Christian 2 31 15.5 0 23
Brandon Perry 2 30 15.0 0 19
Catron Houston 1 13 13.0 0 13
Dustin Dziuk 1 13 13.0 0 13
Michael Malone 1 9 9.0 1 9

blackfordpu
October 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Team Stats:
Nicholls/SHSU
1st Downs 20 18
3rd down efficiency 7-13 4-9
4th down efficiency 0-0 1-1
Total Yards 262 334
Passing 9 148
Comp-Att 1-7 13-21
Yards per pass 1.3 7.0
Rushing 253 186
Rushing Attempts 63 34
Yards per rush 4.0 5.5
Penalties 7-60 6-47
Turnovers 6 2
Fumbles lost 5 1
Interceptions thrown 1 1
Possession 33:15 26:45

Bearkatpresident
October 15th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I was extemely pleased with the Bearkat's on all sides of the ball. The offense was a freaking machine! We have some very dangerous players on offense and anytime DD Terry gets loose you can count on a big play. The defense's bend not break style of playing not only stopped the option, but forced a big number of turnovers. Not only that, but the Kats were just as strong at the start of the game as they were at the end of the game. The power of our strong secondary means this team does not stop.

Got to hand it to Nichols State though, they travel pretty well. You could spot a fair number of red in the stands.

blackfordpu
October 15th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I was extemely pleased with the Bearkat's on all sides of the ball. The offense was a freaking machine! We have some very dangerous players on offense and anytime DD Terry gets loose you can count on a big play. The defense's bend not break style of playing not only stopped the option, but forced a big number of turnovers. Not only that, but the Kats were just as strong at the start of the game as they were at the end of the game. The power of our strong secondary means this team does not stop.

Got to hand it to Nichols State though, they travel pretty well. You could spot a fair number of red in the stands.

I don't think that was the plan but that has been happening lately. We need to stop this or it could bite us in the ass. Letting teams march a good ways down the field before stopping them wears the defense down. I don't doubt they can keep it up but it isn't the ideal circumstance to play under.

Bearkatpresident
October 16th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I'm not saying it's ideal. Ideally we'd be forcing turnovers all the time. (Which we've been getting increasingly better at). I'd like to see if we can be consistant in the number of forcing turnovers.

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Courtesy of Patssle from KatFans.com...

The Nicholls St/SHSU Highlight Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZFHNnPn4Ns

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3445

blackfordpu
October 17th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Courtesy of Patssle from KatFans.com...

The Nicholls St/SHSU Highlight Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZFHNnPn4Ns

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3445

Once again he did a bang up job! Keeps getting better and better, just like the video-board content.:hurray: