PDA

View Full Version : Get Ready: JMU @ New Hampshire...

blur2005
October 8th, 2006, 03:32 AM
So I couldn't resist starting the thread for this highly-anticipated game already. Let your opinions flow.

While I'd like to pick the Dukes, and I do think they are capable of taking down the Wildcats, I can't bet against Santos and company.

JMU2004
October 8th, 2006, 03:40 AM
UNH is to good... the Cats by 28 if we play poorly...the Cats by 21 if we play our usual

DTSpider
October 8th, 2006, 07:26 AM
If URI gave JMU trouble, than UNH will give JMU fits. I've seen Richmond played a lot of football teams and I don't think I've ever seen an offense as tough to defend as what UNH is running. JMU's defense will have to be very disciplined, get pressure without blitzing & not miss a tackle.

JMU may catch UNH at a good time as there may be a let-down after Ball getting 51 this week. Still, if I had to bet money it would be on UNH.

th0m
October 8th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I think the outcome of this game cannot be solely predicted based on games won this season. I mean, we stomped Northeastern, yet Richmond struggled, and Delaware lost to them (granted, they aren't the top team in the South this year). It just really depends on what teams come to play on the field, and if that happens anything can happen. Our defense struggled against URI, but it was better in other games. Our O struggled in some games, and flourished in others. We're just not very consistent at the moment.

I'll tell you one thing though, I think this close win vs. URI helps JMU better than a blowout win.

JMUfan2008
October 8th, 2006, 07:52 AM
I think the outcome of this game cannot be solely predicted based on games won this season. I mean, we stomped Northeastern, yet Richmond struggled, and Delaware lost to them (granted, they aren't the top team in the South this year). It just really depends on what teams come to play on the field, and if that happens anything can happen. Our defense struggled against URI, but it was better in other games. Our O struggled in some games, and flourished in others. We're just not very consistent at the moment.

I'll tell you one thing though, I think this close win vs. URI helps JMU better than a blowout win.

I agree completely, especially that last line...now we have something to learn from. If we would have killed them they would've been confident and wouldn't have worked as hard this week getting ready this week I don't think. I definitely think if we play our best we can beat UNH. I've seen JMU play at a level that would be good enough to get them the W, but unfortunately I've also seen them play at a level that would make this an ugly game in the first quarter. I just hope JMU comes to play and if they don't get the W they need to keep it close.

Gordon Shumway
October 8th, 2006, 08:20 AM
If URI gave JMU trouble, than UNH will give JMU fits. I've seen Richmond played a lot of football teams and I don't think I've ever seen an offense as tough to defend as what UNH is running. JMU's defense will have to be very disciplined, get pressure without blitzing & not miss a tackle.

JMU may catch UNH at a good time as there may be a let-down after Ball getting 51 this week. Still, if I had to bet money it would be on UNH.

I believe Ball getting #51 will have just the opposite effect. He is after all a human being, and that record had to be affecting his play, as well as the defenses he was playing. During his interview after the game he made a point of saying how the record had been weighing on him, and now they could just go back to playing football.

Hansel
October 8th, 2006, 08:25 AM
JMU upsets the UNH apple cart :)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 8th, 2006, 08:32 AM
I believe Ball getting #51 will have just the opposite effect. He is after all a human being, and that record had to be affecting his play, as well as the defenses he was playing. During his interview after the game he made a point of saying how the record had been weighing on him, and now they could just go back to playing football.

I can't tell you how many people I heard say that yesterday in Durham!!

OxSoxUNH05
October 8th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I definately agree. Look what happended in the second half after the catch. We stepped up the game. Makes me wish he got it in dartmouth.

Gordon Shumway
October 8th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Here are numbers you don't see everyday from the JMU/URI game:

URI ran 86 plays:eek: That is a lot of plays under the new clock rules.

Now here is the best part. JMU scored 35 points on only 47 plays:eek: Granted one of the scores was a defensive TD, but by any measure that is still pretty darn efficient.

th0m
October 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM
True. Maybe the reason our D was so atrocious, is because they were on the field for so long! URI had the ball for 37:44 to JMU's 22:16.

Here are some more stats for the JMU-URI game:

http://www.jmu.edu/athletics/livestats/Football/xsummary.htm

00bluehen
October 8th, 2006, 08:56 AM
JMU's been sandbagging up to this point. The Dukes win this game...big. They're my pick for national champions (and have been since the preseason).

dbackjon
October 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM
UNH by 10.

th0m
October 8th, 2006, 09:27 AM
JMU's been sandbagging up to this point. The Dukes win this game...big. They're my pick for national champions (and have been since the preseason).

You think we were sandbagging at ASU?

GaSouthern
October 8th, 2006, 09:30 AM
unh rolls

YoUDeeMan
October 8th, 2006, 09:59 AM

UNH should be comforted by Hansel's other prediction:

"Furman wins by 30- then Coastal drops their Football Program" - Hansel
:rolleyes:

UNH defense still not looking good. Also important - which JMU team shows up?

UNH by 7.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 8th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I can more than live with the UNH Defense from the second half yesterday!

To me the big question is can JMU's defense come close to matching Richmond's performance? I don't know enough about JMU and haven't seen them play on TV yet this year. Do they play straight zone or do you mix in some man cover?

I heard Coach Mac at the 5th Quarter function yesterday, I don't think there'll be any letdown on the Wildcat's part.

dwtime
October 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I can more than live with the UNH Defense from the second half yesterday!

To me the big question is can JMU's defense come close to matching Richmond's performance? I don't know enough about JMU and haven't seen them play on TV yet this year. Do they play straight zone or do you mix in some man cover?

I heard Coach Mac at the 5th Quarter function yesterday, I don't think there'll be any letdown on the Wildcat's part.

Straight zone works if you have DB's that can close quickly on the throw like the Richmond DB's were able to yesterday. If you play straight zone you better have a good pass rush, UNH might have won big if Richmond hadn't been bringing good pressure all game long. Richmond had a very good pass rush and Santos still completed 25 of 31 passes.

UNHWildCats
October 8th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I think this has the makings of another blow out. both have top 20 offenses, UNH #1 scoring and #2 total offense; JMU #16 scoring, #13 total offense.

JMU has the much better defense ranking #15 in scoring and #16 in total while UNH has the #43 scoring defense and #87 overall.

I think theres a chance the UNH defense can shine in this matchup, but I wont count on it. They will do enough however to make it an easier win then the Delaware game.

UNH 45 JMU 31

blur2005
October 8th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I really wish this game was at JMU.

I'm going to say UNH wins 31-21. But I hope I'm wrong.

JMUfan2008
October 9th, 2006, 10:52 AM
For those in Harrisonburg, where is everyone going to watch the game? I think I'll be heading to Ham's for the game, BW3 is always too packed to get a table on Saturdays.

bluehenbillk
October 9th, 2006, 10:56 AM
UNH won't blow JMU away, but they'll still win comfortably.

AppGuy04
October 9th, 2006, 10:59 AM
UNH by atleast 2 TD's

GannonFan
October 9th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I think it's a rotten matchup for JMU - they won't be able to slow down UNH probably at all and they'll have to try to keep up, but their offense is too run-based for them to do it. UNH 42 - 21 is my pick.

bandl
October 9th, 2006, 11:23 AM
The only way I can see JMU winning this is by eating up the clock with their running game, having no turnovers and creating a few UNH turnovers. In other words...everything has got to bounce JMU's way for them to have a chance. It won't be a high scoring affair if JMU can eat up the clock...UNH-28 JMU-17.

I will actually get to watch this game on CN8!! :hurray: :hurray:

JMUfan2008
October 9th, 2006, 11:53 AM
The sad thing is, I think we have the passing firepower to keep up but we just won't use it. Rascati misses very few passes and we have some extremely fast recievers (I haven't heard many details about UNH's D to know specifically about their height or speed, so if they're lacking in either one of these we should try to exploit it). Basically, if the Oline can give Rascati time, he can make the big passes, the coaches just have to call plays that will let him do that. I think out of 8 drives we might stop them on 3 if we're lucky, so that's 35 for UNH (I'm praying). I think if we utilize our strengths in passing we can keep up. It's just when we run the same running play 3 times in a row that we fail to score. As the old saying goes...defense wins championships...so whoever's defense plays better will win the game, more specifically in this game it will be if JMU forces a couple turnovers they'll win, if they lose the turnover battle, they're done for

MYTAPPY
October 9th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I'll be pulling for JMU for obvious reasons (one being the rankings). I do think though that UNH will win. I don't see it being a blowout.

HensRock
October 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM

I disagree. JMU is over-rated.

UNH by 30

UMass is under-rated. They're going to stomp UNH.

Book it.

umassfan
October 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM

UNH by 30

Book it.
Whats with all the love bro... where did this come from

th0m
October 9th, 2006, 03:43 PM
The sad thing is, I think we have the passing firepower to keep up but we just won't use it. Rascati misses very few passes and we have some extremely fast recievers (I haven't heard many details about UNH's D to know specifically about their height or speed, so if they're lacking in either one of these we should try to exploit it). Basically, if the Oline can give Rascati time, he can make the big passes, the coaches just have to call plays that will let him do that. I think out of 8 drives we might stop them on 3 if we're lucky, so that's 35 for UNH (I'm praying). I think if we utilize our strengths in passing we can keep up. It's just when we run the same running play 3 times in a row that we fail to score. As the old saying goes...defense wins championships...so whoever's defense plays better will win the game, more specifically in this game it will be if JMU forces a couple turnovers they'll win, if they lose the turnover battle, they're done for

Maybe, just maybe (just thought of this myself), Matthews didn't want to "show" the passing game too much vs URI, just like we kinda didn't show ANYTHING against Bloomsburg....Probably a bit far fetched, but you never know. A flourishing passing game versus UNH would certainly be favorable, with the occasional 8 minute long rushing drive...

Who knows ;) I'm looking at this game as a loss and expect the best of it!

OL FU
October 9th, 2006, 04:14 PM

UNH by 30

Book it.

Not sure I would go that far but November 4th lines up big in the playoff picture no doubt

JMU2004
October 10th, 2006, 02:29 PM
JMU will need to dominate the line of scrimmage while on defense.....otherwise UNH will be able to pick apart our secondary. We certainly have the athletes on the D-Line, but they will need to kick it up a notch this weekend.

This game will answer A LOT of questions about JMU!

DTSpider
October 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM
JMU will need to dominate the line of scrimmage while on defense.....otherwise UNH will be able to pick apart our secondary. We certainly have the athletes on the D-Line, but they will need to kick it up a notch this weekend.

Unfortunately, that only slows them down not stop them as UR found out. :(

I've set aside the time to be infront of the tv though for this game. Should be a good one.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 10th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately, that only slows them down not stop them as UR found out. :(

I've set aside the time to be infront of the tv though for this game. Should be a good one.

If we can "slow them down" I have no worries about scoring on them.

More likely to be a game like UNH at UDel I think as opposed to the UR game.

jmufootball2
October 10th, 2006, 02:57 PM
everyone thinks we are just going to run the ball and run the ball. Mick opens the playbook up in big games and will give justin 25 passes. our secondary is not bad, they are very athletic and will have the opportunity to pick some balls off. the question seems to be is if we can catch those picks. high scoring game jmu 35, unh 31

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM
everyone thinks we are just going to run the ball and run the ball. Mick opens the playbook up in big games and will give justin 25 passes. our secondary is not bad, they are very athletic and will have the opportunity to pick some balls off. the question seems to be is if we can catch those picks. high scoring game jmu 35, unh 31

I guess I'm in the minority of JMU fans with the whole playbook thing. I swear Mickey never changes from week to week no matter who the competition is. :rolleyes:

We just either execute or we don't. Yes, it willbe a high scoring affair as most UNH games are. If they scored 27 on UR, they will at least get 35 on JMU. Can we score more? I think so.

GannonFan
October 10th, 2006, 03:29 PM
This game will answer A LOT of questions about JMU!

See, I don't think so - UNH is the only team like this that JMU will face the rest of the way (supremely high scoring offense and modest defense) - if JMU loses this game I don't think that tells us anything as frankly 95% of the people don't think they have a chance to win. Richmond in 2 weeks I think will be the bellweather for JMU - a team JMU could beat but a team that embarrassed them (not scorewise, outcomewise) at home last year. Plus, with a loss to UNH, JMU will need to avoid too many more losses - a loss to Richmond as well means they need to go through W&M, UD, Towson, and nova undefeated - hardly imposing, but it could be nervous avoiding a slip up through that, especially with 2 games on the road. 8-3 should get them in the playoffs, but even that's not a guarantee - UNH and UMass will get in with 9-2 or better records, and a loss to Richmond means Richmond will be the 3rd team in - JMU would have to hope for being a 4th team in from the A10 - not impossible, just less likely. Beat Richmond, and all that goes away.

th0m
October 10th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I agree on everything you said, GannonFan. Not only UR, but also Delaware beat us when we 'were supposed' to win. We need to take everything one game at a time, because I know there will be some upsets later on, whether JMU will be on the receiving part of those upsets, I don't know.

So far, we've played from lifeless (Bloomy), to mediocre (App) to promising (N'eastern), back to beatable (URI).

GreatAppSt
October 10th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Hampy wins a close one.

UNHknowledge
October 10th, 2006, 06:56 PM
UNH wins. Score is irrelevant...it might be by 1 or it might be by 40+, but we will win.

DB_Atlantic10
October 10th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I have to admit that I'm quite surprised by some of these predictions.....I honestly think that UNH will get manhandled this weekend..... I really don't understand why Richmond has been elevated to supreme and how they have become the measuring stick for how JMU will perform..was it the victory over windless Duke, because other than that win, they have nothing to show for their top ranking...Lets see, Bucknell, VMI or was it maybe the nail biter to NE on their 5th consecutive road game. I find it amazing how JMU has been in the doghouse since their close win to Div-II Bloomsburg, who is 5-1 by the way. Its so often seen how we I-AA fans hate being put down by the I-A world... I mean can you imagine how Northwestern and Duke must be feeling after losing to lowely UNH and Richmond respectfully. Now what if NW and Duke had barely beat UNH and Ric as JMU had, then would they have been written off any worse? My point is don't downplay a team from a lower division when we hail our teams for winning up as we have. I honestly think the two toughest teams in the A-10 this year is not UNH/Ric, but JMU and UMass. These two teams are the closest to I-A we have in the A-10 this year size, speed and talent wise...and they are just starting to gel at the right time....

Until last weekend, neither UNH/Ric had played anyone with a winning record at any divisional level.... Does anyone realize the JMU has 21 team sacks 2nd in the nation....when I saw how Santos ran wild against UDel..I knew there would be no way he does that against a JMU/UMass type defense, just won't happen. Richmond got 4 of their total 12 sacks this past weekend against UNH and they only had 8 during their combined games before then...hmmmm

I'll end it here, but I think the true, true football guys, the coaches and a few others more closer to the game, know that this weekend will be very interesting. I just hope that the weather holds in the Northeast, because UNH is going to get a huge wake up call.:nod:

jmuroller
October 10th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Bold, very bold statement from the poster above.

Both teams are extremely good teams. I am of the thought that they could play this game 10 times and each team would win 5 each. Thank god it's on TV so I can see it and not be forced to listen to Mike Schikman.

jmufootball2
October 10th, 2006, 08:30 PM
well maybe its just me but when jmu doesnt have a perfect game, all you can talk about are the negatives. No team dominates every game in every aspect. Take what you get, and when you get a W, that is all you need. Stats dont matter, just the W column. If we beat UNH this week do you think they will say "well we suck" or damn jmu is pretty good. anyways, good luck to UNH this weekend, im hoping for an excellent ballgame.

UNHknowledge
October 10th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I have to admit that I'm quite surprised by some of these predictions.....I honestly think that UNH will get manhandled this weekend..... I really don't understand why Richmond has been elevated to supreme and how they have become the measuring stick for how JMU will perform..was it the victory over windless Duke, because other than that win, they have nothing to show for their top ranking...Lets see, Bucknell, VMI or was it maybe the nail biter to NE on their 5th consecutive road game. I find it amazing how JMU has been in the doghouse since their close win to Div-II Bloomsburg, who is 5-1 by the way. Its so often seen how we I-AA fans hate being put down by the I-A world... I mean can you imagine how Northwestern and Duke must be feeling after losing to lowely UNH and Richmond respectfully. Now what if NW and Duke had barely beat UNH and Ric as JMU had, then would they have been written off any worse? My point is don't downplay a team from a lower division when we hail our teams for winning up as we have. I honestly think the two toughest teams in the A-10 this year is not UNH/Ric, but JMU and UMass. These two teams are the closest to I-A we have in the A-10 this year size, speed and talent wise...and they are just starting to gel at the right time....

Until last weekend, neither UNH/Ric had played anyone with a winning record at any divisional level.... Does anyone realize the JMU has 21 team sacks 2nd in the nation....when I saw how Santos ran wild against UDel..I knew there would be no way he does that against a JMU/UMass type defense, just won't happen. Richmond got 4 of their total 12 sacks this past weekend against UNH and they only had 8 during their combined games before then...hmmmm

I'll end it here, but I think the true, true football guys, the coaches and a few others more closer to the game, know that this weekend will be very interesting. I just hope that the weather holds in the Northeast, because UNH is going to get a huge wake up call.:nod:

Don't agree with your outcome of the game but I must say that this is a very reasonable post and makes a lot of sense. The good thing is that the UNH coaches and players agree with you and I can asure you are not taking JMU lightly.

DB_Atlantic10
October 10th, 2006, 08:52 PM
well maybe its just me but when jmu doesnt have a perfect game, all you can talk about are the negatives. No team dominates every game in every aspect. Take what you get, and when you get a W, that is all you need. Stats dont matter, just the W column. If we beat UNH this week do you think they will say "well we suck" or damn jmu is pretty good. anyways, good luck to UNH this weekend, im hoping for an excellent ballgame.

I just think the press has made them invincible and many have followed.....they are good and have their S#it together, but does anyone who really knows how well manned the Dukes are on defense think that the Santos/Ball show will be enough.... Call me a homer, but I just don't see it....Cuff and Delaware scares me more!

DB_Atlantic10
October 10th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Don't agree with your outcome of the game but I must say that this is a very reasonable post and makes a lot of sense. The good thing is that the UNH coaches and players agree with you and I can asure you are not taking JMU lightly.

I agree..right now the UNH coaches are probably trying to figure out how to give Santos more time against the likes of Winston, Dotten-Carter and 4 other players with 2 or more sacks. Also lets not forgett Lezotte roaming the secondary....... I know Ball will get his catches and Santos will get off a few good throws, but some quotes of 35 and 40 plus points places the Dukes in the same category of any other winless team. Richmond's offense is no where near that of JMUs and they didn't give up that many points...

UNH 40
October 10th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I just think the press has made them invincible and many have followed.....they are good and have their S#it together, but does anyone who really knows how well manned the Dukes are on defense think that the Santos/Ball show will be enough.... Call me a homer, but I just don't see it....Cuff and Delaware scares me more!

You are drunk!!!! UNH may right now have the most prolific offense in the history of the A-10. The Santos and Ball show have been enough in 26 of the last 31, it aint happening bud, even the games they lose Santos and Ball light it up. UNH 35 JMU 21.

UNH 40
October 10th, 2006, 09:29 PM

Richmond was Busy shutting out Duke and UNH was Busy blowing out Northwestern while your Dukes struggled against Bloomburg State. Richmond is a Damn good football team and I know that JMU you is as well. This will be a great game, but I am telling you JMU better mind its p's and Q's to perfection on defense or it will be a smoke show.:hurray: :nod:

UNH 40
October 10th, 2006, 09:30 PM

Richmond was Busy shutting out Duke and UNH was Busy blowing out Northwestern while your Dukes struggled against Bloomburg State. Richmond is a Damn good football team and I know that JMU is as well. This will be a great game, but I am telling you JMU better mind its p's and Q's to perfection on defense or it will be a smoke show.:hurray: :nod:

jmufootball2
October 10th, 2006, 10:03 PM
so what you are saying is that all the UNH offense has to do is show up and they will score? All of this talk is that JMU has to play a perfect game to win, UNH can play poorly and still win. May I say that your defense is not great and our offense is great. no smoke show, high sscoring game? yes but no blowout.

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 10th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Richmond was Busy shutting out Duke and UNH was Busy blowing out Northwestern while your Dukes struggled against Bloomburg State. Richmond is a Damn good football team and I know that JMU is as well. This will be a great game, but I am telling you JMU better mind its p's and Q's to perfection on defense or it will be a smoke show.:hurray: :nod:
I believe Richmond's ranking is a carry over from last year. I have not seen them play this year, but their strong point is the defense. JMU plays at Richmond later this year and that game will probably determine a playoff berth.

I give the edge to UNH over JMU this weekend just because they are playing at home, but don't count our Dukes out of this one quite yet.

grayghost06
October 10th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I think we've heard all this invinceable banter before....When was it???...oh yeah, our esteemed opponents in Chattanooga in '04...We may not win, but we will come to play....No way NH blows us out..too much talent & speed...Now the question marks for us are attitude and game plan. If those fall into place, the 4th quarter will be ours.

YoUDeeMan
October 10th, 2006, 10:53 PM
so what you are saying is that all the UNH offense has to do is show up and they will score? All of this talk is that JMU has to play a perfect game to win, UNH can play poorly and still win. May I say that your defense is not great and our offense is great. no smoke show, high sscoring game? yes but no blowout.

I think JMU is a good team, and I hope they get into the playoffs (along with 3 other A-10 teams), but how exactly is JMU's offense "great"? D-II Bloomsburg and App State pretty much kept JMU off the board. Not smacking, just asking. :eyebrow:

jmufootball2
October 10th, 2006, 11:01 PM
because we can score however we want to

JMU Duke Dog
October 10th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Also lets not forgett Lezotte roaming the secondary.......

This will be the first time LeZotte will be on the field with Santos and Ball as these two teams have not met since 2003. I am quite anxious to see how these two teams will match up against each other.

JMU Duke Dog
October 10th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I think JMU is a good team, and I hope they get into the playoffs (along with 3 other A-10 teams), but how exactly is JMU's offense "great"? D-II Bloomsburg and App State pretty much kept JMU off the board. Not smacking, just asking. :eyebrow:

JMU 52
Northeastern 14

Richmond 12
Northeastern 7

Northeastern 27
Delaware 24

YoUDeeMan
October 10th, 2006, 11:18 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.

th0m
October 11th, 2006, 03:57 AM
You are drunk!!!! UNH may right now have the most prolific offense in the history of the A-10. The Santos and Ball show have been enough in 26 of the last 31, it aint happening bud, even the games they lose Santos and Ball light it up. UNH 35 JMU 21.

If you had done your research, you would know why Cuff gives JMU nightmares.

In 2005:

UD: 34
JMU: 28

Total yards: 414 (Delaware), 338 (JMU).

Cuff's record for that day: 236 yards rushing on 39 carries, going for 4 TD's.

DTSpider
October 11th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I think we all know some JMU fans are a little biased when it comes to the Spiders.

Since it was thrown out there that UR hasn't earned a ranking yet, what has JMU done to date to earn theirs? Since it's still early in the season (to me everything before half the conference games have been played is early), almost all teams are living off past performances. Just like you can't evauluate JMU based on one game (bloomsburg) you can't evaluate Richmond based on one game (northeastern) either. In two weeks we'll know which team is better.

JMUfan2008
October 11th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Injuries had sidelined some of the key offensive players in preseason plus at that point we were still redshirting Holloman (who if you just look at the App State game you pointed out got about twice as good as the game went on) who gives us the big play ability on the ground. Basically, our team hadn't really gelled by the time the first couple games were played. If you look at us since then (we weren't fantastic against URI, but got the job done) we've been able to get some rhythm on offense and put the points on the board. If UNH lets us get that rhythm started in this game, I think we can pull out the win. It definitely won't be a blowout either way. And back to that App St game, we still had good yardage, we just got stopped a couple times by penalties and bad play calling kept us out of the endzone IMO. I don't think anyone can say it won't be a good game.

YoUDeeMan
October 11th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Injuries had sidelined some of the key offensive players in preseason plus at that point we were still redshirting Holloman (who if you just look at the App State game you pointed out got about twice as good as the game went on) who gives us the big play ability on the ground. Basically, our team hadn't really gelled by the time the first couple games were played. If you look at us since then (we weren't fantastic against URI, but got the job done) we've been able to get some rhythm on offense and put the points on the board. If UNH lets us get that rhythm started in this game, I think we can pull out the win. It definitely won't be a blowout either way. And back to that App St game, we still had good yardage, we just got stopped a couple times by penalties and bad play calling kept us out of the endzone IMO. I don't think anyone can say it won't be a good game.

Thanks JMUfan2008! Your information provides some understanding of the offensive issues in JMU's first two games. The Hens won't make it to the playoffs this year, but I'm rooting for the A-10 to send some quality teams to the playoffs so that we can win the championship again. JMU looked shaky early, but if they have corrected things, then they might have a chance.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 11th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Our O-line is playing much better as well I think. That is as important as anything. They will surely be tested the most vs. Richmond.

Meanwhile, our young secondary will have a long day vs. UNH. If Tony Lezotte can make enough plays, we'll have a good shot to win this game. I just don't think their D is that good.

Teams with big D's scare me much more than teams with high octane offenses. We lost to UMass last year - defensive struggle in a mud pit. We lost to App St. - two turnovers and they played well on D as usual. We lost to Richmond last year - again, good Defensive team. Meanwhile, we took Hofstra behind the woodshed at their place (they were considered for an at-large last year), we seem to have W&M's number, who is known much more for their Offense, and we took care of a prolific Montana offense in the NC in 2004. Recent history just makes me feel more comfortable about facing a great offense than a great defense.

This game will be a good one, and a big chance for JMU to earn some respect around the league.

As DTSpider points out, neither one of us have beaten a high quality opponent yet, so that game vs. UR, once again, will likely decide who wins the A-10 South.

UNH 40
October 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I don't think that people are giving the UNH D enough credit. In for of there first five games they have held opponents under 17. Yes they got caught in a shootout with UD but that happens to defenses every once in a while. This D is much better than they are given credit for.

JMU Duke Dog
October 11th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Maybe I read something incorrectly from this summer, but didn't UNH lose a lot of its defense to graduation from last season? In other words, does UNH have a young, less experienced defense this year? I am quite anxious to see what UNH is like against JMU because we have been hearing about the Wildcats for the past few seasons but have yet to play each other.

JMUfan2008
October 11th, 2006, 09:59 AM
we've outscored opponents so far this year 156-68. Holding our opponents to 23 or less. UNH has outscored opponents 231-104. Will JMU's O step up and keep up with UNH's O or will UNH's "undercredited" D stop us. We need to keep the run going but keep the threat of the long ball alive. I can't wait for this game!

UNH 40
October 11th, 2006, 10:45 AM
we've outscored opponents so far this year 156-68. Holding our opponents to 23 or less. UNH has outscored opponents 231-104. Will JMU's O step up and keep up with UNH's O or will UNH's "undercredited" D stop us. We need to keep the run going but keep the threat of the long ball alive. I can't wait for this game!

Going to be a really interesting game.

UNH 40
October 11th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Maybe I read something incorrectly from this summer, but didn't UNH lose a lot of its defense to graduation from last season? In other words, does UNH have a young, less experienced defense this year? I am quite anxious to see what UNH is like against JMU because we have been hearing about the Wildcats for the past few seasons but have yet to play each other.

You are correct UNH did lose 7 of 11 starters from last season, but in 5 of those seven positions they have players that have played a lot of football as back-ups for several years. The bottom line is that this defense is an oppertunistic one in the past 2 years they have had among the best turnover ratios in the country and continue to do that again this year. They have lost one turnover while creating 13, and if you can win the turnover battle like they have been 9 times out of 10 you will win the game.xsmileyclapx

JMUfan2008
October 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM
You are correct UNH did lose 7 of 11 starters from last season, but in 5 of those seven positions they have players that have played a lot of football as back-ups for several years. The bottom line is that this defense is an oppertunistic one in the past 2 years they have had among the best turnover ratios in the country and continue to do that again this year. They have lost one turnover while creating 13, and if you can win the turnover battle like they have been 9 times out of 10 you will win the game.xsmileyclapx

I agree. Turnover ratio is key! Very hard to overcome 2+ turnovers... We turn it over more than UNH this weekend there is no way we win.

blur2005
October 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I agree. Turnover ratio is key! Very hard to overcome 2+ turnovers... We turn it over more than UNH this weekend there is no way we win.
If I recall correctly, that was a major reason JMU lost to App State. Turnovers lead to losing the field position battle and short fields for the opposition. With UNH's offensive firepower, JMU can ill-offord to give the ball away.

UNH 40
October 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM
The same goes for UNH if they turn it over like the did against UNI last Playoffs it will be hard to overcome them. Going to be a great one in Durham.

UNH_BLUE
October 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I don't think that people are giving the UNH D enough credit. In for of there first five games they have held opponents under 17. Yes they got caught in a shootout with UD but that happens to defenses every once in a while. This D is much better than they are given credit for.

First timer here. Just found this board. I love it!

UNH's D has kinda been a little Jekyl and Hyde this year, They were flying and covering and tackling the first three games but were somewhat exposed against DE and Ric. Their secondary gave too much room and their tackling wasn't great.

I think JMU will give us fits but Santos is just too good a QB. He always finds a way to move the chains.

UNH 27
JMU 17

wildcat76
October 11th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I think that everyone is forgetting about UNH's running game. Everyone is talking about Ball and Santos because they have the big numbers. But the UNH running game is as strong this year as it has been in years. The only reason you haven't heard anything about it is because it is such a talented back field there are usually a minimum of 4 rushers a game not including Santos. UNH has the third strongest rushing attack in the A10 this year with rushing stats identical to JMU, only MORE rushing touchdowns. So if you think JMU is going to win by possesing the ball your wrong because we can get up early and hold on to it as well as you can.
UNH 42
JMU 17

YoUDeeMan
October 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
First timer here. Just found this board. I love it!

UNH's D has kinda been a little Jekyl and Hyde this year, They were flying and covering and tackling the first three games but were somewhat exposed against DE and Ric. Their secondary gave too much room and their tackling wasn't great.

I think JMU will give us fits but Santos is just too good a QB. He always finds a way to move the chains.

UNH 27
JMU 17

Welcome to AGS!

Watched the Richmond game and the UNH secondary did give a lot of room. Someone would catch a pass, and several times I could almost get to 3-Mississippi before a defender came in to attempt a tackle. They have to tighten that up.

JMU2004
October 11th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I think that everyone is forgetting about UNH's running game. Everyone is talking about Ball and Santos because they have the big numbers. But the UNH running game is as strong this year as it has been in years. The only reason you haven't heard anything about it is because it is such a talented back field there are usually a minimum of 4 rushers a game not including Santos. UNH has the third strongest rushing attack in the A10 this year with rushing stats identical to JMU, only MORE rushing touchdowns. So if you think JMU is going to win by possesing the ball your wrong because we can get up early and hold on to it as well as you can.
UNH 42
JMU 17

I would bet the house on that spread....I think UNH wins by 10, but you are way off base.

placidlakegriz
October 11th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Gotta root for JMU. First if they win, that should push the Griz to the number two spot and second, would love to meet JMU for championship game again.

bustingnut
October 11th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Heres App going for JMU, we'd kinda like the #1 rating back. :D

JMU2004
October 11th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Here is the party line....if JMU has only one turnover, Dukes by 10..... 2 or more, UNH by 10

GSUSpider
October 11th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I think most underrate UNH's defense. They were the difference maker against UR last week. They came to play last weekend and they stepped up when they had to. I know, I know, all of the JMU fans are going to tell me how bad UR's offense stinks but quite frankly yours doesnt impress me either.

JMUfan2008
October 11th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I think most underrate UNH's defense. They were the difference maker against UR last week. They came to play last weekend and they stepped up when they had to. I know, I know, all of the JMU fans are going to tell me how bad UR's offense stinks but quite frankly yours doesnt impress me either.

Like you said they came ready to play. Whichever team comes ready to play on Saturday will win. If you can't agree that either team could win this game you're fooling yourself. They are both good teams and both could win depending on how well they play.

SoCon48
October 12th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Good luck to the Dukes on Saturday!!

UNH_BLUE
October 12th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Although I'm thrilled that CN8 is showing 2 UNH games in a row, I hope they have a different team in the booth. Those 2 are awful! When UNH lined up for a FG they said they were going for an extra point. When UNH was on offense they said Richmond was on offense. They made countless mistakes and never once corrected themselves. They are painful to listen to.

wildcat_fan
October 12th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I have a question about CN8. Is CN8 programming the same in other areas of the country as it is in New England? I'm in Maryland and would love to see the game.

bandl
October 12th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Alot of the boys from Daddy's School sure do get uptight about anything said about their school, huh?:rolleyes:

jmuroller
October 12th, 2006, 08:26 AM

31+ points a game is good enough for me. Since Coach Durden joined the staff our offense is always at the top of the conference in yards and points per game. Only UNH and W&M have been ahead of us. We don't throw alot, but we eat up yards and time and put points on the board. We do what works for us.

OxSoxUNH05
October 12th, 2006, 08:46 AM

News Flash: So Can UNH but we do it faster and More often!

UNH 35
JMU17

Homecoming BABY! :D

UNH_ORACLE
October 12th, 2006, 08:53 AM
I have a question about CN8. Is CN8 programming the same in other areas of the country as it is in New England? I'm in Maryland and would love to see the game.

The programming is the same, channel 21 baby!!

wildcat_fan
October 12th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Yeah, baby, Yeah :hurray:

GannonFan
October 12th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Although I'm thrilled that CN8 is showing 2 UNH games in a row, I hope they have a different team in the booth. Those 2 are awful! When UNH lined up for a FG they said they were going for an extra point. When UNH was on offense they said Richmond was on offense. They made countless mistakes and never once corrected themselves. They are painful to listen to.

Amen to that - John Ritchie (former NFL FB) was the color guy and he is just aboslutely brutal. It's almost as if he's drinking during the game (some of his comment, were he sober, would be even more alarming). I agree, not exactly the best commentators you could ask for.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 12th, 2006, 09:17 AM
On a positive note, after watching part of the Maine-Towson game on CSTV, the camera work on CN8 is significantly better. CSTV didn't catch the blocked putt by Maine and didn't have a replay of it either! :eek:

BTW, the main cameras set up at UNH face toward the sun which impacts the picture quality. There is just too much bright sun to filter out. Same reason that a certain Irish-Swedish-American AGS member gets sunburned at games in October! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

boonegoon
October 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Barring any changes I just hope that App can play UNH in Chattanooga, not in semis.

UNHWILDCATS05
October 12th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Although I'm thrilled that CN8 is showing 2 UNH games in a row,

Its actually three games in a row; Delaware, Richmond, James Madison... its becoming part of the UNH Sports Network... I think the best part about CN8 is that all their games can be watched through OnDemand after the fact

DB_Atlantic10
October 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Amen to that - John Ritchie (former NFL FB) was the color guy and he is just aboslutely brutal. It's almost as if he's drinking during the game (some of his comment, were he sober, would be even more alarming). I agree, not exactly the best commentators you could ask for.

Well just turn the CN8/CSTV volume down and listen to your regular commentators through your sportsite internet audio feed.... ;-) I mean they are calling the same plays.....

JMUfan2008
October 12th, 2006, 12:03 PM
News Flash: So Can UNH but we do it faster and More often!

UNH 35
JMU17

Homecoming BABY! :D

I hadn't heard it was Homecoming....that makes it even more interesting...

UNHFan99
October 12th, 2006, 12:06 PM
They are expecting over 10,000.

UNH_ORACLE
October 12th, 2006, 12:13 PM

I think its hilarious... Ritchie sounds like Jack Black. It's cn8 and 1-AA what do you guys expect??

JMUfan2008
October 12th, 2006, 12:13 PM
They are expecting over 10,000.

That's not too bad. At home we average over 14,000 and at App State I think there were almost 19,000 (I think that's what I remembered hearing). We should be able to avoid stupid false start penalties in this game (they stalled our first drive at App State) since it's not a huge crowd - though they'll be a little louder than usual I'm sure since it's homecoming.

GannonFan
October 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Well just turn the CN8/CSTV volume down and listen to your regular commentators through your sportsite internet audio feed.... ;-) I mean they are calling the same plays.....

If you are referring to my regular commentators, well, there's no way I could listen to the UD announcers - where Ritchie is just silly when he announces, the UD guys are just oblivious. Listening to them you can't get any picture of what's happening on the field. Of course, that may be alright if I'm watching the tv feed and can see it myself! ;)

(note - the time lag between things always is a hinderance though - even just being off by 5 seconds makes it annoying - damn technology!! ;) )

Old Cat Fan
October 12th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I tried that a couple of weeks ago when watching the Delaware game on the internet feed, audio wasn't matching up, It was a few seconds off also happened during the ESPN feed of UNH Montana game two years back. something about radio sound traveling faster or slower than the video feeds :confused:

majorbta
October 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM
That's not too bad. At home we average over 14,000 and at App State I think there were almost 19,000 (I think that's what I remembered hearing). We should be able to avoid stupid false start penalties in this game (they stalled our first drive at App State) since it's not a huge crowd - though they'll be a little louder than usual I'm sure since it's homecoming.

The JMU vs APP game was 23,814.

UNHFan99
October 12th, 2006, 12:27 PM
There has been a new TV rule instated after the Janet Jackson thing that there is a 5 second delay on all televised sporting events.

JMU2004
October 12th, 2006, 12:28 PM

JMU averages closer to 15k, so 10k will be one of the smallest crowds for a JMU game this year. I think VMI only had about 9k and 3k of that was JMU.

The ASU game had somewhere around 22-24k......by ASU's count

GannonFan
October 12th, 2006, 12:29 PM
JMU averages closed to 15k, so 10k will be one of the smallest crowds for a JMU game this year. I think VMI only had about 9k and 3k of that was JMU.

The ASU game had somewhere around 22-24k......by ASU's count

Come on, you still have Richmond, nova, and Towson to play - they'd die for 10k at those games.

JMUfan2008
October 12th, 2006, 12:29 PM
The JMU vs APP game was 23,814.

dang it, that's right, I knew whatever I had previously thought was waaay too low...so yeah, this crowd will be less than half of the App St crowd...

JMU2004
October 12th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Come on, you still have Richmond, nova, and Towson to play - they'd die for 10k at those games.

The UR-JMU game should draw over 12,000. Its a rivalry game, and JMU has a huge ammount of alums in Richmond. It could draw much more depending on what happens this weekend.

JMU Duke Dog
October 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
The UR-JMU game should draw over 12,000. Its a rivalry game, and JMU has a huge ammount of alums in Richmond. It could draw much more depending on what happens this weekend.

I guarantee more people will show up if JMU beats UNH and W&M before the UR game.

rcny46
October 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Like you said they came ready to play. Whichever team comes ready to play on Saturday will win. If you can't agree that either team could win this game you're fooling yourself. They are both good teams and both could win depending on how well they play.

That's the bottom line - for sure.

DTSpider
October 12th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Just don't expect it to show up in the attendance log...

UR has switched to a very conservative recording approach. Essentially it's similar to the NCAA playoff model (no students, player comps, etc.) with the idea to keep figures down. Actually, if UR is lucky enough to make the playoffs, we may be one of the few teams to show an increase in attendance.

I definitely hope that it'll be a good crows. It's UR's homecoming game which helps some. JMU helps not just because of JMU fans coming to the game, but the number of JMU & UR co-mingled families & co-workers for make this the "one game" to attend.

OxSoxUNH05
October 13th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Yes tomorrow is homecoming and personally I can not wait. Weather forecast is looking great with it being 59 and sunny! Good Football on the field and a highly partisan crowd. Should be a good time. Maybe just maybe we'll be hearing this "big announcement" from the UNH powers that be. Hmm;) :cool:

wildcat_fan
October 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Do you have any indication of what said announcement will be? New stadium? 1-A status? I feel so out of it here in Maryland.

OxSoxUNH05
October 13th, 2006, 08:53 AM
I dunno... just rumors but mostly pointing to new stadium if that will happen, but was supposed to be early fall and technically fall lasts until dec. 21st or so.

wildcat_fan
October 13th, 2006, 08:58 AM
As many fond memories as I have of Cowell Stadium and the Field House in general from my childhood--a relative of mine used to work for Andy Mooradian when he was AD, and my cousin and I would spend hours exploring the Field House and running around the stadium--I will be glad to see it go. The time has come for UNH as a football school to start looking like a football school.:thumbsup:

rcny46
October 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Do you have any indication of what said announcement will be? New stadium? 1-A status? I feel so out of it here in Maryland.

1-A status? Perish the thought! :eek:

A new stadium? Now that's something I could handle.

rcny46
October 13th, 2006, 12:55 PM

1-A status? Perish the thought! :eek:

A new stadium? Now that's something I could handle. :thumbsup:

Gordon Shumway
October 13th, 2006, 04:46 PM
That stadium (and I use the term loosely) needed a few sticks of dynamite when I was freshman, and that was 40 years ago.:eek: :bawling: :eek: :bawling: That place is a constant source of embarrassment, and I never thought I would hear there was a possibility it would be replaced.

What really irks me is that I am a regular contributor to the university, which puts me on their radar. However, I have never been contacted about alumni support for such a project. Lord have mercy, there has to be some number of alumni like myself who would be more than willing to support the project. If they are waiting for the state to pony up the money, it will be another 40 years with nothing happening.:bang:

UNH_BLUE
October 14th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Excellent. We're a little more than 2 hours away from kickoff.

I'm expecting JMU to give UNH an even tougher test than UR. They have a faster D and a far more experienced QB.

UNH has to protect Santos better this week and hopefully he can scramble for several key first downs.

Anybody have any idea if Chris Ward is hurt, if so, how badly?

UNHWildCats
October 14th, 2006, 09:34 AM
That stadium (and I use the term loosely) needed a few sticks of dynamite when I was freshman, and that was 40 years ago.:eek: :bawling: :eek: :bawling: That place is a constant source of embarrassment, and I never thought I would hear there was a possibility it would be replaced.

What really irks me is that I am a regular contributor to the university, which puts me on their radar. However, I have never been contacted about alumni support for such a project. Lord have mercy, there has to be some number of alumni like myself who would be more than willing to support the project. If they are waiting for the state to pony up the money, it will be another 40 years with nothing happening.:bang:

Not only that, but im sure theres businesses around the seacoast and the state that would donate money aswell. Heck they should hit up former Governor Benson he's loaded, though prolly still bitter with New Hampshire voters.