PDA

View Full Version : Exorcising Demons at Chattanooga

chattanoogamocs
November 9th, 2013, 06:44 PM
5 Years ago when Russ Huesman took over, the Mocs were at literal rock bottom...1-11 season (only win was Non DI), on major APR sanctions with the maximum of lost scholarships, restricted practice time and if I remember correctly, the first time to be officially banned from post-season play for APR reasons.

Piece by piece, year by year, Russ has slowly improved his alma mater...ironically the last time they won 8 games, Huesman was PLAYING for the Mocs.

This year has already be special...

1) First Mocs team to win 6 SoCon games
2) First 8 game winner in over 33 years
3) First win in Boone in 30 years
4) First win EVER over Furman at Finley Stadium
5) First SoCon title in 29 years

I have been a Mocs fans since I was a wee child...they won their last title when I was in 9th grade. Trust me, it ain't easy being a Mocs fan...there has been more heartache than joy over the years, er, decades. I could worship the Vols like so many do in this town, but it is my hometown and my alma mater, I stand by her through thick and thin. When you suffer, you appreciate things a lot more. I realize it makes this even sweeter today. I stood next to 3 of the last 4 Chancellors of the University and as the last seconds ticked off the clock, I swear the oldest one had a tear in his eye. I looked over at him and said, "I wasn't sure this would ever happen" to which he responded, "neither did I."

It's a great day to be a Mocs fan. Hats off to Wofford...the Mocs have been so close to beating them the last two years, but they have had the confidence of a team that has "been there before"...it was great to finally get over the hump.

As much as I will celebrate with long suffering friends tonight, the season isn't over yet...playing at Samford next week to wrap up the autobid the biggest game for Chattanooga since 1984 (of course, it also huge for Wofford, Furman and Samford because they still have a chance at sharing the title and possibly stealing the autobid if Chattanooga loses).

DJKyR0
November 9th, 2013, 06:48 PM
As a fan of another team that turned around a slump in a big way recently, enjoy it. For the sake of the reasonable Chattanooga fans, congratulations.

citdog
November 9th, 2013, 06:49 PM
5 Years ago when Russ Huesman took over, the Mocs were at literal rock bottom...1-11 season (only win was Non DI), on major APR sanctions with the maximum of lost scholarships, restricted practice time and if I remember correctly, the first time to be officially banned from post-season play for APR reasons.

Piece by piece, year by year, Russ has slowly improved his alma mater...ironically the last time they won 8 games, Huesman was PLAYING for the Mocs.

I have been a Mocs fans since I was a wee child...they won their last title when I was in 9th grade. Trust me, it ain't easy being a Mocs fan...there has been more heartache than joy over the years, er, decades. I could worship the Vols like so many do in this town, but it is my hometown and my alma mater, I stand by her through thick and thin. When you suffer, you appreciate things a lot more. I realize it makes this even sweeter today. I stood next to 3 of the last 4 Chancellors of the University and as the last seconds ticked off the clock, I swear the oldest one had a tear in his eye. I looked over at him and said, "I wasn't sure this would ever happen" to which he responded, "neither did I."

It's a great day to be a Mocs fan. Hats off to Wofford...the Mocs have been so close to beating them the last two years, but they have had the confidence of a team that has "been there before"...it was great to finally get over the hump.

As much as I will celebrate with long suffering friends tonight, the season isn't over yet...playing at Samford next week to wrap up the autobid the biggest game for Chattanooga since 1984 (of course, it also huge for Wofford, Furman and Samford because they still have a chance at sharing the title and possibly stealing the autobid if Chattanooga loses).

Good post. A My Losing Season type of tear jerker.

pussy.....you should be DRUNK AND SWINGING FROM LAMPOSTS AND SLAPPING STRANGE WOMEN ON THEIR ASS AND THEN FALLING HEADFIRST INTO THE TENNESSEE RIVER WHILE SCREAMING THE REBEL YELL.

ACT like you've been there before dude!

CONGRATS to the MOCS!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 9th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Congrats. As annoying as certain UTC fans here are, I think and hope you guys can win the play-in game and make the round of 16.

Strange year indeed if UTC, Towson, and Chuck South are all in the playoff field.

chattanoogamocs
November 9th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Good post. A My Losing Season type of tear jerker.

pussy.....you should be DRUNK AND SWINGING FROM LAMPOSTS AND SLAPPING STRANGE WOMEN ON THEIR ASS AND THEN FALLING HEADFIRST INTO THE TENNESSEE RIVER WHILE SCREAMING THE REBEL YELL.

ACT like you've been there before dude!

CONGRATS to the MOCS!

LOL...trust me, I would love to be getting into trouble tonight...but I have my 6 month old son this weekend, so I am having to temper my celebration (I will make up for it sometime this week).

I will say though, I am raising him right...he hasn't missed a home game this season.

You are absolutely right, it was a "My Losing Season" moment! Which leads me to a great story...I own a bookstore, so obviously literature, especially Southern literature, is very important to me...one of my favorite moments was seeing Pat sitting by himself during the SoCon tournament a few years back. I approached him and said if we would rather be left alone, I understood...he graciously told me to sit down and we blabbed about my bookstore and his time at Citadel for nearly an hour. So gracious of him as I know most people of celebrity relish the chance to just be able to enjoy themselves in public without being bombarded by people want to talk to them.

gomocs82
November 9th, 2013, 07:13 PM

+1...now just beat Samford and leave nothing to chance.

longtimemocfan
November 9th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Congrats. As annoying as certain UTC fans here are, I think and hope you guys can win the play-in game and make the round of 16.

Strange year indeed if UTC, Towson, and Chuck South are all in the playoff field.

Unfortunately every fan base has a few (annoying fans). Last time we won or shared a conference title I was a junior @ UTC (1984).. One of our loses that year was to a Tracy Ham led Ga.Southern team. Been waiting a long time for a year like this.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 9th, 2013, 07:23 PM
You still have one demon you will never exorcise.

He's a lot of fun though.

Bisonator
November 9th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Congrats to the Mocs and their fans -chattownmocs.xthumbsupx

thirdgendin
November 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Congrats to UTC and its long-suffering fans!

Now, go out and lose to Samford next week to give us a chance to share the title with you!!! :D

SpeedkingATL
November 9th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Congrats Mocs. Really big win today.

longtimemocfan
November 9th, 2013, 08:11 PM

Now, go out and lose to Samford next week to give us a chance to share the title with you!!! :D

Good win for The Paladins today as well. Team is playing really well lately.

Bisonoline
November 9th, 2013, 08:19 PM

Congrats on the season!!!!

Darlinikki150
November 9th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Just one step closer to a game in Fargo chatty fans. Congrats on the win.

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2013, 08:45 PM

Not only share the title, but a UTC loss in Birmingham might actually give Furman the auto bid (if we handle business against WCU and Wofford).

Ball's in the Moc's court, but things get real interesting if Samford bows up.

UCMoc
November 9th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Not only share the title, but a UTC loss in Birmingham might actually give Furman the auto bid (if we handle business against WCU and Wofford).

Ball's in the Moc's court, but things get real interesting if Samford bows up.

It sounds like it would be much easier for everyone if we just went ahead and beat Samford!

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2013, 09:09 PM
It sounds like it would be much easier for everyone if we just went ahead and beat Samford!

Much easier for UTC. It would all but end Furman, Wofford, and Samford's playoff hopes, though.

UTC will be the least popular team in the SoCon this coming weekend.

UCMoc
November 9th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Much easier for UTC. It would all but end Furman, Wofford, and Samford's playoff hopes, though.

UTC will be the least popular team in the SoCon this coming weekend.

We have been on here for several years now thanks to the sandwich division of our fan base.

citdog
November 9th, 2013, 09:14 PM
We have been on here for several years now thanks to the sandwich division of our fan base.

true

chattownmocs
November 9th, 2013, 10:03 PM

Where have you been all year reject?

UCMoc
November 9th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Where have you been all year reject?

At the games. Same as every year. I hope you aren't a feminist, now go make me a sandwich.

chattownmocs
November 9th, 2013, 10:13 PM
At the games. Same as every year. I hope you aren't a feminist, now go make me a sandwich.

That's about as weak as it gets. No "no one likes me because of you" tearful rants today?

UCMoc
November 9th, 2013, 10:15 PM
That's about as weak as it gets. No "no one likes me because of you" tearful rants today?

Actually you made it easier now. All the real Moc fans have to do us show up and not be your sorry ass and everyone loves us.

chattownmocs
November 9th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Actually you made it easier now. All the real Moc fans have to do us show up and not be your sorry ass and everyone loves us.

So basically all you have to deliver today is such gems as, "I'm a real fan" "I go to the games"

NoDak 4 Ever
November 9th, 2013, 10:21 PM

You have to show up at his Subway and wait in line like everyone else.

UCMoc
November 9th, 2013, 10:22 PM
So basically all you have to deliver today is such gems as, "I'm a real fan" "I go to the games"
I could ad, "I went to the school" or even "I went to a school."

Seriously though, sorry about what happened with Auburn today. I know that must have stung.

chattownmocs
November 9th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I could ad, "I went to the school" or even "I went to a school."

Seriously though, sorry about what happened with Auburn today. I know that must have stung.

You went to the school but you don't know the name of the school? You "You went to the school" "You have been going to games for years." Sounds like you are just some idiot that goes to the games for social reasons and not a "real fan" after all. Most likely you the definition of an idiot douchebag who believes you have some sort of ownership of the school because you are an alum. Newsflash jackass: its the university of Tennessee's at Chattanooga. It is a state school. The fact that you went to school there, doesn't mean jack ****. It doesn't make you a "real fan," and it sure as hell doesn't make your opinion matter. And frankly, its not impressive. I better it burns you up that the team is doing well. That brings all these loud, obnoxious "sidewalk" fans tothe games.

Darlinikki150
November 9th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Omg I want chatty to win just do I can have a chance at meeting chattmocs at a game in Fargo in be in awe of his slicing wit.

citdog
November 9th, 2013, 10:49 PM
slicing wit.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/844790/thumbs/r-ARBYS-SUBWAY-large570.jpg?4

UCMoc
November 9th, 2013, 10:52 PM
You went to the school but you don't know the name of the school? You "You went to the school" "You have been going to games for years." Sounds like you are just some idiot that goes to the games for social reasons and not a "real fan" after all. Most likely you the definition of an idiot douchebag who believes you have some sort of ownership of the school because you are an alum. Newsflash jackass: its the university of Tennessee's at Chattanooga. It is a state school. The fact that you went to school there, doesn't mean jack ****. It doesn't make you a "real fan," and it sure as hell doesn't make your opinion matter. And frankly, its not impressive. I better it burns you up that the team is doing well. That brings all these loud, obnoxious "sidewalk" fans tothe games.

So the meds ran out after you lost the last job huh?

Life is tough for Vol fans this year. I get it. I suppose everybody yelling at you for shaving an inch off their subs isn't helping either. It's ok man keep your head up. You won't always smell like cheap ham and be stuck in your mom's basement. Someday I suspect you'll live on the streets and smell like urine and cheap booze. See, things are looking up.

Even you can't bring me down today, I watched the team I've supported my entire life clinch a championship today. No half-wit salami pusher can take away that joy.

UCMoc
November 9th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Omg I want chatty to win just do I can have a chance at meeting chattmocs at a game in Fargo in be in awe of his slicing wit.
You can't honestly believe he actually goes to the games?

CID1990
November 9th, 2013, 10:57 PM
We're losing Seantaylor

We're losing Apphole

But we get to keep Chattown so all is not lost

Darlinikki150
November 9th, 2013, 10:59 PM
You can't honestly believe he actually goes to the games?

A girl can dream right....

chattownmocs
November 9th, 2013, 11:11 PM
So the meds ran out after you lost the last job huh?

Life is tough for Vol fans this year. I get it. I suppose everybody yelling at you for shaving an inch off their subs isn't helping either. It's ok man keep your head up. You won't always smell like cheap ham and be stuck in your mom's basement. Someday I suspect you'll live on the streets and smell like urine and cheap booze. See, things are looking up.

Even you can't bring me down today, I watched the team I've supported my entire life clinch a championship today. No half-wit salami pusher can take away that joy.

So did I lose my job or do I work at subway reject? Which is it? If you can't recycle other posters meaningless material correctly, you shouldn't even try.

You also get into this meaningless babble about Tennessee. Why would life be tough for Tennessee fans? They are having an expectedly poor year against one of the toughest schedules is college football history under a first year coach. The games are usually painful, but the solice is in the fact that the number 2 recruiting class in the nation is on the way. What does Tennessee have to do with Chattanooga other than the fact that they are part of the same system. Oh wait NVM. You might as well wax unpoetically about how tough it must be to be a Titans fan.

UCMoc
November 9th, 2013, 11:18 PM
So did I lose my job or do I work at subway reject? Which is it? If you can't recycle other posters meaningless material correctly, you shouldn't even try.

You also get into this meaningless babble about Tennessee. Why would life be tough for Tennessee fans? They are having an expectedly poor year against one of the toughest schedules is college football history under a first year coach. The games are usually painful, but the solice is in the fact that the number 2 recruiting class in the nation is on the way. What does Tennessee have to do with Chattanooga other than the fact that they are part of the same system. Oh wait NVM. You might as well wax unpoetically about how tough it must be to be a Titans fan.

We all know you lost the job at Check Cashing for Jesus before the Subway job. We all know that the only reason you ever showed up here was because you can't troll the Bama fans like you used to since the Vols have been a dumpster fire for the last few years. And we all know that every time I come on here, I spank your dumbass. So why don't you move on back to that 250 page pile of steaming bs where the real Chattanooga fans don't dare to go and leave this one to the big boys.

chattownmocs
November 9th, 2013, 11:31 PM
We all know you lost the job at Check Cashing for Jesus before the Subway job. We all know that the only reason you ever showed up here was because you can't troll the Bama fans like you used to since the Vols have been a dumpster fire for the last few years. And we all know that every time I come on here, I spank your dumbass. So why don't you move on back to that 250 page pile of steaming bs where the real Chattanooga fans don't dare to go and leave this one to the big boys.

It was 4th and long and you just threw a pick 6. Supposedly I've been working at Subway format least 2 years now reject. Amazing that you think spanking me is a) repeatedly calling yourself a real fan b) basing this on the fact that you went to a state school c) incorrectly recycling AGS nonsense d) thinking you are better than someone who actually does work at subway because you went to UTC.

Redbirdz
November 9th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Bring on Alabama.

UCMoc
November 9th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Bring on Alabama.
If we can split the next two games, both in the state if Alabama, I'll be happy.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2013, 12:51 AM
Chattanooga still has time to blow the Southern Conference championship. Huesman hasn't won anything yet.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2013, 12:53 AM
We're losing Seantaylor

We're losing Apphole

But we get to keep Chattown so all is not lost
The unholy trinity there.

Squealofthepig
November 10th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Bring on Alabama.

Unlike Oregon, at least UTC's dream of this will come true. :D

It is good to see success at UTC, and hope you guys get through the Crimson Tide game without any injuries.

blueballs
November 10th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Chatty is well positioned to rule the roost in the SoCon for at least the next couple of years. The SoCon is significantly weaker this year than it has been in at least the past 4 years.

It will be interesting to see if they can win a game in December. If you Chatty folks think you're having fun now just wait... winning playoff games is 100 times more fun.

gomocs82
November 10th, 2013, 12:49 PM
We have to get there first. Rumor is the athletic department plans to put together a competitive bid to host a playoff game. That would be great. But first things first, beat Samford and leave no doubt about making the playoffs.

chattanoogamocs
November 10th, 2013, 12:52 PM
We have to get there first. Rumor is the athletic department plans to put together a competitive bid to host a playoff game. That would be great. But first things first, beat Samford and leave no doubt about making the playoffs.

Bids were turned in a couple of weeks ago...and yes, the athletic department put in a strong bid.

T-Dog
November 10th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Chattanooga still has time to blow the Southern Conference championship. Huesman hasn't won anything yet.

For the record he doesn't live in Boone anymore.

Milktruck74
November 10th, 2013, 04:25 PM
As one who poured out blood, sweat and plenty of tears on Chamberlain and Scrappy (yes, I've stepped over many a dead pigeon), I'm happy to have any fans....yes, there is even a place for a guy like Chattown on this train! After playing in front of less fans in College then I did in High School, I'll say we can even use someone like him...provided he doesn't wear his orange UT gear to Finley!!! Finish the drill!!!!

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2013, 04:30 PM

Fail.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 10th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Fail.

Says the sandwich artist to the sportswriter.

SpeedkingATL
November 10th, 2013, 04:49 PM
UTC is in the SoCon driver's seat. I just hope they come out of the Tide game without too many injuries. I would advise Baby Hues to try and not run the ball 25 times against the Tide defense. He and the Mocs have bigger fish to fry the following week and possibly past that.

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Says the sandwich artist to the sportswriter.

I wouldn't call myself an artist, I do make a mean grilled cheese. The fact remains, The socon title is in the record books.

chattanoogamocs
November 10th, 2013, 04:57 PM
UTC is in the SoCon driver's seat. I just hope they come out of the Tide game without too many injuries. I would advise Baby Hues to try and not run the ball 25 times against the Tide defense. He and the Mocs have bigger fish to fry the following week and possibly past that.

I am going go out on a limb and say there will be a lot of 2nd stringers in that game early.

And on a side note, I am happy the no one is really questioning Huesman playing his son anymore...the kid is pretty darn good.

Thru 10 games...
1372 yards passing with 15 TDs
896 yards rushing with 9 TDs

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2013, 04:59 PM

I can't imagine the Alabama game will be anything more than a glorified scrimmage for either team.

DoWe
November 10th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I am going go out on a limb and say there will be a lot of 2nd stringers in that game early.

And on a side note, I am happy the no one is really questioning Huesman playing his son anymore...the kid is pretty darn good.

Thru 10 games...
1372 yards passing with 15 TDs
896 yards rushing with 9 TDs

His arm is still questionable, but he has good feets.

chattanoogamocs
November 10th, 2013, 05:22 PM
His arm is still questionable, but he has good feets.

I don't think there is any question...Jacob is not a deep passer...but the rest of it is strong enough to make up for one weakness (every QB has a weakness).

Either way, he has been huge for Chattanooga...and he is just a sophomore.

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2013, 05:25 PM
His arm is weak but his completion percentage, qb rating and TD/int ratio are not questionable.

paward
November 10th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Russ was our Defensive Coordinator when we won it all in 2008. He is a great X & O type coach. I am happy for Moc nation. Good Luck!

OL FU
November 11th, 2013, 05:59 AM
xthumbsupxCongrats to Chattanooga.

I may be one of the few here that remember when you were one of the teams to beat. Good to see you are back there.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2013, 10:12 AM

It kind of all hinges on their Samford game, I think. If Samford wins, and if UTC (as expected) loses to Alabama and Samford (as expected) beats Elon, both will be 8-4/6-2.

Where that scenario gets really interesting is if Furman wins out. Then Furman is the autobid, and you have 8-4 Samford and 8-4 UTC. One of those teams is getting screwed out of a playoff spot most likely. Given that Samford would have just beaten UTC, it might well be the Mocs left at home.

That said, its in UTC's best interest to win on Saturday. Win and everything is fine. Lose and the whole SoCon picture gets crazy.

pike51
November 11th, 2013, 01:12 PM
It kind of all hinges on their Samford game, I think. If Samford wins, and if UTC (as expected) loses to Alabama and Samford (as expected) beats Elon, both will be 8-4/6-2.

Where that scenario gets really interesting is if Furman wins out. Then Furman is the autobid, and you have 8-4 Samford and 8-4 UTC. One of those teams is getting screwed out of a playoff spot most likely. Given that Samford would have just beaten UTC, it might well be the Mocs left at home.

That said, its in UTC's best interest to win on Saturday. Win and everything is fine. Lose and the whole SoCon picture gets crazy.

I was wondering about this. If there is a 3 way tie with Furman beating Wofford, then Furman gets the autobid. The big question at that point is will they take 3 teams from the SoCon.

As much as we laugh at the town idiot, the rest of the UTC fans seem to "get it." They really need to win this Saturday just to keep everything in order for themselves. Otherwise, it's entirely possible they are on the outside looking in once again. It should be one hell of a game and right now I'd give the edge to Chatty... although based n the way each team played against GSU, I'd give the edge to Samford. I'll be very interested to see how this plays out.

chattownmocs
November 11th, 2013, 01:18 PM
First of all, let's get real. What are the chances that a crumbling big plaY reliant offensive team that struggles defensively beat Chattanooga? Not very good. Even if it does happen, Furman is gonna win their last 2 games? Really?...really? Let's think of all the end of the world scenarios and hide underr the bed.

gsu2583
November 11th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't call myself an artist, I do make a mean grilled cheese. The fact remains, The socon title is in the record books.

http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm436/gsu2583/gollum_zps43d31fc2.gif (http://s318.photobucket.com/user/gsu2583/media/gollum_zps43d31fc2.gif.html)

walliver
November 11th, 2013, 01:48 PM
xthumbsupxCongrats to Chattanooga.

I may be one of the few here that remember when you were one of the teams to beat. Good to see you are back there.

I'm old enough to remember when UTC went 1-10, and we were the "1" xbawlingx

pike51
November 11th, 2013, 02:16 PM
First of all, let's get real. What are the chances that a crumbling big plaY reliant offensive team that struggles defensively beat Chattanooga? Not very good. Even if it does happen, Furman is gonna win their last 2 games? Really?...really? Let's think of all the end of the world scenarios and hide underr the bed.

If we're being honest... you lost to Georgia Southern. No matter what the excuses are, you still lost to them. And the simple fact remains that Georgia Southern got dominated by Samford. No end of the world scenario needed. It's all about match ups. The truth is, both Chatty and Samford know what is at stake and I expect to see the best out of both teams on Saturday. That said, Samford has all the weapons necessary to win, as does UTC.

As for Furman, they play WCU and Wofford. Both are very winnable. What will be exciting is if Samford beats UTC and it comes down to Furman vs Wofford to see who gets a share of the title, because the winner would be tied with 2 conference losses.

With the way this season has gone, anything is possible.

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I'm old enough to remember when UTC went 1-10, and we were the "1" xbawlingx

When was this? Since WWII, Chattanooga has only had two seasons with only 1 win (1-11 in 2008, 1-9 in 1950)

walliver
November 11th, 2013, 03:00 PM
When was this? Since WWII, Chattanooga has only had two seasons with only 1 win (1-11 in 2008, 1-9 in 1950)

Actually I was incorrect.

The year was 2001 and Chatty went 1-7 in the conference. They did win two OOC games.

2001 was a strange year. The cancelled games from September 15th (weekend after 9-11) threw many schedules completely out of balance.

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Actually I was incorrect.

The year was 2001 and Chatty went 1-7 in the conference. They did win two OOC games.

2001 was a strange year. The cancelled games from September 15th (weekend after 9-11) threw many schedules completely out of balance.

I thought that might have been the year...yeah, the Mocs ended up playing Kentucky State at the end of the year (rescheduled), winning 73-0...the other two wins were Samford (OVC) and Wofford (ironic). That was Donnie Kirkpatrick's last year before Allison was hired. Whew...that was some bad football in the 00's.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM

That is a perfectly realistic scenario. It's really not even that complicated.

First, Samford is plenty good enough to beat UTC. Best offense in the league, playing at home, and (lest we forget) they have to lay everything on the line.

It wouldn't shock me not to see Furman win out, but we should be favored in both contests. First get a lowly WCU team we've generally fared very well against. Then get a Wofford team that his historically struggled in Greenville. Wofford will be tough regardless, but they will be the third option offense Furman has seen this season, and the Paladins pretty much bottled up the other two (Citadel had 17 points, GSU had 14).

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2013, 08:10 PM
If we're being honest... you lost to Georgia Southern. No matter what the excuses are, you still lost to them. And the simple fact remains that Georgia Southern got dominated by Samford. No end of the world scenario needed. It's all about match ups. The truth is, both Chatty and Samford know what is at stake and I expect to see the best out of both teams on Saturday. That said, Samford has all the weapons necessary to win, as does UTC.

As for Furman, they play WCU and Wofford. Both are very winnable. What will be exciting is if Samford beats UTC and it comes down to Furman vs Wofford to see who gets a share of the title, because the winner would be tied with 2 conference losses.

With the way this season has gone, anything is possible.

It'll be a good game. GSU doesn't have the talent at linebacker or DLine that UTC has (or really even Furman has). Furman was able to make life really tough on Summerlin back there with a great deal of pressure both with the blitz and without.

Still, Samford is going to have to circle the wagons. If they are going to put their foot down this season, this is the game. Finally home after a grueling four road game stretch. UTC is certainly favored, but the Mocs aren't really beating anyone soundly. I imagine Samford will hang around with them just fine.

Eagle22
November 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM
That is a perfectly realistic scenario. It's really not even that complicated.

First, Samford is plenty good enough to beat UTC. Best offense in the league, playing at home, and (lest we forget) they have to lay everything on the line.

It wouldn't shock me not to see Furman win out, but we should be favored in both contests. First get a lowly WCU team we've generally fared very well against. Then get a Wofford team that his historically struggled in Greenville. Wofford will be tough regardless, but they will be the third option offense Furman has seen this season, and the Paladins pretty much bottled up the other two (Citadel had 17 points, GSU had 14).

Wofford has more potential passing the ball from what I've seen, than either Citadel or GSU. Now whether the Terriers execute or not, is another story. Statistically, all three are in the same neighborhood but I'd give Wofford the edge.

chattownmocs
November 11th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Furman can scream that they are going to win out and have the tiebreaker until they are blue in the face. I don't see any way the tie can be broken until you get to points allowed. Furman has allowed 113 in 6 games. Chattanooga has allowed 124 in 7 games.

seantaylor
November 12th, 2013, 02:58 AM
It'll be a good game. GSU doesn't have the talent at linebacker or DLine that UTC has (or really even Furman has). Furman was able to make life really tough on Summerlin back there with a great deal of pressure both with the blitz and without.

Still, Samford is going to have to circle the wagons. If they are going to put their foot down this season, this is the game. Finally home after a grueling four road game stretch. UTC is certainly favored, but the Mocs aren't really beating anyone soundly. I imagine Samford will hang around with them just fine.

With the injuries

thirdgendin
November 12th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Furman can scream that they are going to win out and have the tiebreaker until they are blue in the face. I don't see any way the tie can be broken until you get to points allowed. Furman has allowed 113 in 6 games. Chattanooga has allowed 124 in 7 games.

Ok, here goes nothing...

Here are the SoCon tiebreaker procedures:
Football
Championship Determination Tie-breaking Procedures: The Southern Conference champion shall be the team that finishes with the best won-loss percentage in Conference games during the regular season. In the case that two or more schools finish with identical won-loss records, they shall be declared co-champions.
NCAA Automatic Bid Tie-breaking Procedures: The Conference champion shall be awarded an automatic bid to the NCAA FCS Playoffs, provided it is eligible to compete in the post-season under NCAA guidelines. In the event that co-champions are declared, the automatic bid will be awarded as follows:
A. In the case of a two-way tie, the automatic bid will be awarded to the winner of the game between the tied teams during the regular season;
B. In the event of a three-way tie, the won-loss records of the tied teams against each other is first considered (i.e., head to head concept). If the teams are still tied, then each team’s record against the highest seeded team not involved in the tie is considered. If the tie is still not broken, the teams’ won-loss record against the next highest seeded team not involved in the tie is considered and so on down the line until the tie is broken. If the tie is still not broken, the team with the fewest points allowed among the tied teams shall be considered. If this does not resolve the tie, then the automatic bid will be determined by a random draw conducted by the Commissioner;
C. In the event of multiple ties after a three-way tie, the same procedure as used to break a three-way tie will be applied until the tie is broken.

And here are the current standings: SoCon FB Standings (http://www.soconsports.com/standings/Standings.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&SPID=1781&SPSID=34747). I've been told that, for purposes of breaking ties, allotting Commissioner's Cup points, etc., ASU and GSU will be included in the standings. So they do factor into the tiebreakers.

For there to be a three-way tie with Furman involved, the following must happen: Samford over UTC and Elon, Furman over WCU and Wofford. In that scenario, Chattanooga, Furman, and Samford would all finish 6-2.

1st tiebreak is "the won-loss records of the tied teams against each other is first considered (i.e., head to head concept)". UTC over Furman, Furman over Samford, Samford over UTC = 1-1 for everyone.

2nd tiebreak is "the teams’ won-loss record against the next highest seeded team not involved in the tie is considered and so on down the line until the tie is broken." This is where it's still to early to tell who would come out on top because Georgia Southern (3-4) is 1/2 game behind The Citadel (4-4) but owns the tiebreak over them. For Furman to get the bid, GSU needs to beat Elon and thus finish ahead of The Citadel for tie breaking purposes. In that scenario, the final standings would either be:
6-2 Samford, UTC, Furman
5-3 Wofford
4-4 GSU and The Citadel

OR

6-2 Samford, UTC, Furman
4-4 GSU, Wofford and The Citadel

In #1, all three teams would have wins over Wofford. GSU beat The Citadel so they would be counted next. Furman and Samford beat GSU, but UTC did not. That eliminates UTC. Furman beat The Citadel but Samford did not. Furman gets the bid.

I'm a little uncertain about whether or not you compare the records individually (like above) or versus the tied teams as a group. Either way, Furman would be 2-0 against this group while Samford and GSU would be 1-1.

In #2, Wofford would be ranked 4th (2-0 vs. tied teams), GSU 5th (1-1) and The Citadel 6th (0-2). All three teams would have wins over Wofford. Furman and Samford beat GSU, but UTC did not. That eliminates UTC. Furman beat The Citadel but Samford did not. Furman earns the automatic bid.

If you apply the collective records model to the 4th place tie here, Furman would be 3-0 while Samford and UTC would be 2-1. Same result.

So, Furman's shot at the automatic bid isn't nearly as good as UTC (or Samford), but it does exist. Paladin fans need all of the following to happen:
1. Furman over WCU
2. Samford over UTC
3. Furman over Wofford
4. GSU over Elon
5. Samford over Elon

Let me know if you see any holes in what I've written. I should probably sleep more...

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2013, 05:30 AM

I don't think your tie breaker even exists. Go read the rules, they are online.

walliver
November 12th, 2013, 07:07 AM
I don't think your tie breaker even exists. Go read the rules, they are online.

Points allowed was the final tie-breaker last year.

pike51
November 12th, 2013, 07:24 AM
So, Furman's shot at the automatic bid isn't nearly as good as UTC (or Samford), but it does exist. Paladin fans need all of the following to happen:
1. Furman over WCU
2. Samford over UTC
3. Furman over Wofford
4. GSU over Elon
5. Samford over Elon

Out of all these necessary items, #2 will be the most difficult. If Samford can beat Chatty, I can see the rest of this happening.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Points allowed was the final tie-breaker last year.

Points allowed against the tied teams, not points allowed over the course of the season, as chattown was advocating.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Out of all these necessary items, #2 will be the most difficult. If Samford can beat Chatty, I can see the rest of this happening.

I agree. Sometimes tie breaking scenarios seem purely hypothetical, but that one seems completely realistic. The only real "upset" would probably be Samford over UTC, and even then that result wouldn't shock anyone.

walliver
November 12th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I agree. Sometimes tie breaking scenarios seem purely hypothetical, but that one seems completely realistic. The only real "upset" would probably be Samford over UTC, and even then that result wouldn't shock anyone.

Like most non-Chatty posters here, I am pulling for Sammy, but it will take great effort for the Bama Dogs to pull this out. The last few weeks, Sammy seems to get a little weaker every week. Maybe is has been the long 4 game road series with 6-8.5 hour bus rides being the norm than has worn them down. There last few games have taken a physical toll on the team. Maybe playing at home will breathe new life into the team. Maybe Pat Sullivan can come up with a few more novel plays to make a difference.

Of course, this season, there is absolutely no outcome to any game the next two weeks that would shock me.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Like most non-Chatty posters here, I am pulling for Sammy, but it will take great effort for the Bama Dogs to pull this out. The last few weeks, Sammy seems to get a little weaker every week. Maybe is has been the long 4 game road series with 6-8.5 hour bus rides being the norm than has worn them down. There last few games have taken a physical toll on the team. Maybe playing at home will breathe new life into the team. Maybe Pat Sullivan can come up with a few more novel plays to make a difference.

Of course, this season, there is absolutely no outcome to any game the next two weeks that would shock me.

Oh I agree Samford is the underdog. Road trips are part of football (though four in a row is a bit much).

At the end of the day, Samford has a very good offensive club and a respectable defense. They'll have to circle the wagons and see what they are made of.

chattownmocs
November 12th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I've said this multiple times and it gets ignored. But where does it say, you eliminate teams as you go down the list. I'm pretty sure the tie has to be broken in one step.

CID1990
November 12th, 2013, 10:33 AM

Yep. I was surprised how they folded. As of two weeks ago the SoCon was theirs to lose, and they sure as heck lost it.

I bet they rebound at home, though.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2013, 10:42 AM
I've said this multiple times and it gets ignored. But where does it say, you eliminate teams as you go down the list. I'm pretty sure the tie has to be broken in one step.

This is from the SoCon website. I can only assume it is up to date. http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/Championships/Tie-Breaking/Tie-breaking_Procedures_Football.pdf

chattownmocs
November 12th, 2013, 11:06 AM
This is from the SoCon website. I can only assume it is up to date. http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/Championships/Tie-Breaking/Tie-breaking_Procedures_Football.pdf

Still don't see where it says if 2 of the teams beat someone, the 3rd team is eliminated and you move on to the next step. I think 1 team has to hear someone that BOTH of the other teams lost to.

chattownmocs
November 12th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Points allowed against the tied teams, not points allowed over the course of the season, as chattown was advocating.

I'm pretty sure it says "among" maybe you are right though.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I'm pretty sure it says "among" maybe you are right though.

It's not exactly clear, but that's the way I read it.

At the end of the day, UTC is the only team that controls its destiny. All of this really is just academic if the Mocs take care of business in Birmingham. Everyone else will then just be in a beauty contest for the committee.