PDA

View Full Version : The schools in Montana

dystopiamembrane
November 9th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Where will you rank these schools given today's results?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Well with road wins always being tough and both teams playing quality opponents that were at least their equal I'd think they would move up or down a little based on their games. Granted the final score was not pretty for MSU and they will definitely drop some but the Griz probably don't get a big push forward. I'd imagine they are gonna end up somewhere around where they have been in the overall poll in my ballot. They'll probably end up neighbors in the poll as far as mine goes which is around the middle of the 25 but since not done not real sure yet.

mvemjsunpx
November 9th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Bobcats haven't looked too good since their bye.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Bobcats haven't looked too good since their bye.

No they haven't really been up to snuff the last month.

Twentysix
November 9th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Both teams are like 12-15 range.

Neither has been any better than that all season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2013, 07:32 PM
I don't see either as a threat to advance in the playoffs. MSU has very little team speed and Griz are good one minute then go in a coma for a bit...

semobison
November 9th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Montana was very fortunate to beat SD today. Gave up 223 yards rushing and only ran for 53. Id love to see them in the playoffs in Fargo!

dudeitsaid
November 9th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Montana was very fortunate to beat SD today. Gave up 223 yards rushing and only ran for 53. Id love to see them in the playoffs in Fargo!

Who would you guys NOT like to see in Fargo? Serious question. Partially because I have seen the same statement made about other teams from Bison fans as well.

dudeitsaid
November 9th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Neither of MSU's last two games are gimmes. If they lose both, they end up with only 6 FCS wins. If they win against either SUU or UM, are they in with 7 wins? Obviously, they win both, they are in handily.

UM already has 8 FCS wins, with a 9th almost assuredly against Weber. It could be a crazy Brawl if they have the opportunity to spoil MSU's playoff chances!

semobison
November 9th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Who would you guys NOT like to see in Fargo? Serious question. Partially because I have seen the same statement made about other teams from Bison fans as well.

Seriously, Montana or Montana State would be MY first two choices. I'm a western North Dakotan. I've been telling Montana jokes since I was a kid!

mvemjsunpx
November 9th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Neither of MSU's last two games are gimmes. If they lose both, they end up with only 6 FCS wins. If they win against either SUU or UM, are they in with 7 wins? Obviously, they win both, they are in handily.

UM already has 8 FCS wins, with a 9th almost assuredly against Weber. It could be a crazy Brawl if they have the opportunity to spoil MSU's playoff chances!

UM has 7 FCS wins (Oklahoma Panhandle), or 6 FCS wins plus a pseudo-FBS win (App).

dudeitsaid
November 9th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Seriously, Montana or Montana State would be MY first two choices. I'm a western North Dakotan. I've been telling Montana jokes since I was a kid!

Wouldn't surprise me if it happens. I would love to MSU have to travel just because of the storylines that would reignite about the game buyout. :)

semobison
November 9th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if it happens. I would love to MSU have to travel just because of the storylines that would reignite about the game buyout. :)

Yeah, that would be sweet if the Cats had to go to Fargo anyway for the playoffs! Where I grew up the big bad GRIZ carried more weight though. One of my most memorable moments as a Bison fan was watching Div II NDSU beat Montana in 2003 on TV at the Moose Breath Saloon in Billings!

dudeitsaid
November 9th, 2013, 08:38 PM
UM has 7 FCS wins (Oklahoma Panhandle), or 6 FCS wins plus a pseudo-FBS win (App).

Your right, my bad. Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking that they had 8 counters, but they did have a D2 win. I think the App win still counts as FCS in the eyes of the committee, and maybe not even a quality win. That being said, they will have at least 8 FCS wins and will be in the field.

Darlinikki150
November 9th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Disappointed in the Bobcats, but nice win for the Grizz.

Yotes
November 9th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Disappointed in the Bobcats, but nice win for the Grizz.
They're fortunate to have it. Needed a scoop and score and a kick return for a TD at the end of the game to win by 4.

Darlinikki150
November 9th, 2013, 08:50 PM
They're fortunate to have it. Needed a scoop and score and a kick return for a TD at the end of the game to win by 4.

I know Yotes, I looked at the recap. Tough loss for u guys, next year I think u guys will be pretty darn tough.

semobison
November 9th, 2013, 08:53 PM

I agree, they were very fortunate to win the game. I felt bad for you guys, definitely outplayed the Griz most of the game. Good fortune is a part of football though!

putter
November 9th, 2013, 09:07 PM

Yes but those count. We gave NAU two scoop and scores inside the 10..without those - different ballgame but they do count. Coyotes outplayed the Griz today for 2 quarters. Don't know what to think about this team, they have the talent to be pretty good but are so all over the place and not where they should be on defense these last 3 games. Won't go far in the playoffs if they continue to play like this.

semobison
November 9th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Yes but those count. We gave NAU two scoop and scores inside the 10..without those - different ballgame but they do count. Coyotes outplayed the Griz today for 2 quarters. Don't know what to think about this team, they have the talent to be pretty good but are so all over the place and not where they should be on defense these last 3 games. Won't go far in the playoffs if they continue to play like this.

You outplayed the Yotes on about 4 plays today but they were big ones. 2 long pass plays, a fumble recovery and the KO return. They ran for 235 to your 53. Like I said sometimes in football you make your own good fortune. You have got to be feeling a little fortunate after that game!

Yotes
November 9th, 2013, 09:23 PM
They do count, just wanted to point that the ball bounced just right for you guys in the 4th quarter and that you guys could have easily walked away with a loss. Got another shot against you guys next year, I look forward to it.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2013, 09:23 PM

As fortunate as the Yotes were to receive the gifts thrown to them today it's amazing we didn't have much of a hill to climb. We were no more fortunate than USD. We had less gifts handed to us and still got it done.

semobison
November 9th, 2013, 09:44 PM
As fortunate as the Yotes were to receive the gifts thrown to them today it's amazing we didn't have much of a hill to climb. We were no more fortunate than USD. We had less gifts handed to us and still got it done.

Yes Johnson did throw some picks today. Don't know if I would call them gifts though. He was under a lot of pressure most of the game. I will tell you this though, he made some great plays with his feet, avoiding the rush and extending plays. He is a damn good QB. He did, under a lot of pressure throw the pics, but without him I don't think you win that game!

robsnotes4u
November 9th, 2013, 09:44 PM

One Montana team will get the chance to play in Fargo the second round and the other will play EWU the second round is my guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

robsnotes4u
November 9th, 2013, 09:49 PM
You outplayed the Yotes on about 4 plays today but they were big ones. 2 long pass plays, a fumble recovery and the KO return. They ran for 235 to your 53. Like I said sometimes in football you make your own good fortune. You have got to be feeling a little fortunate after that game!

Exactly. The only two things they walk away with is a win and a playoff spot. The Griz defense is going to be run over by the Cats. Here is what a Griz fan said on egriz today.

"ohhhh gawd...just watching some of the MSU game....wait til we try and play D against kirk and that o-line...man"

Grizalltheway
November 9th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Not worried about MSU at all. They have steadily regressed as the season's gone along, and their D will get burned by Johnson, Henderson, Jones and hopefully Van.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Yes Johnson did throw some picks today. Don't know if I would call them gifts though. He was under a lot of pressure most of the game. I will tell you this though, he made some great plays with his feet, avoiding the rush and extending plays. He is a damn good QB. He did, under a lot of pressure throw the pics, but without him I don't think you win that game!

If you took what I said to mean that then I wasn't clear. He is a hell of a player that normally gets rid of the ball instead of throwing into danger situations. He had one pick all season until today and has been under pressure like he was when he threw those picks today and not done it. He's a very smart player that does extend drives while rarely turning it over. If our play where Hermanson took the ball was a gift then JJ's gratis to USD was as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Not worried about MSU at all. They have steadily regressed as the season's gone along, and their D will get burned by Johnson, Henderson, Jones and hopefully Van.

That's our big problem right now. We need to get back the RB's to be as effective as we will need to be. MSU does worry me.

semobison
November 9th, 2013, 10:03 PM

If I was a Griz fan after watching the USD game today I would have these concerns;
1. We had trouble stopping the run.
2. Our QB was under a lot of pressure most of the game.
3. We had trouble running the football.

mvemjsunpx
November 9th, 2013, 10:03 PM
That's our big problem right now. We need to get back the RB's to be as effective as we will need to be. MSU does worry me.

That's why today's game was so important. Now the Griz will be playing in Bozeman for a chance at a top-8 seed rather than fighting just to make the playoffs (assuming a win over Weber, of course).

superman7515
November 9th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Montana Grizziies...201 That's a full 40 spots BELOW the lowest SOS ranked MVFC school.

Go check it out. IMHO, think the Grizz might be in for a rude awakening when they travel to the USD Coyotes on Saturday. That game could really show the strength of the MVFC teams.

GO GET 'EM YOTES!

This was a huge win for Montana, beating a clearly superior team who were suiting up three X-Men, a former NFL Europe QB who found a loophole to regain eligibility, and the ED-209 from Robocop at runningback. If anything, they were lucky to escape with their lives, let alone a win. After much consultation with my ballot adviser, Kermit Blount, they deserve to be #3 behind NDSU and Bethune-Cookman.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Exactly. The only two things they walk away with is a win and a playoff spot. The Griz defense is going to be run over by the Cats. Here is what a Griz fan said on egriz today.

"ohhhh gawd...just watching some of the MSU game....wait til we try and play D against kirk and that o-line...man"

What did the guy at the muffler shop say about it?

Silenoz
November 9th, 2013, 10:12 PM
If I was a Griz fan after watching the USD game today I would have these concerns;

Oh, we were aware of these things loooong before this game... see the games against Cal Poly, EWU, NAU, etc.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2013, 10:12 PM

Those are the concerns and have been since about week 3. Fot whatever reason it seems we get into trouble with the runs to the outside and not running on the inside. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the LB's we have and the way they can play but it is a weakness that has been exploited since the NAU game.

semobison
November 9th, 2013, 10:18 PM
If you took what I said to mean that then I wasn't clear. He is a hell of a player that normally gets rid of the ball instead of throwing into danger situations. He had one pick all season until today and has been under pressure like he was when he threw those picks today and not done it. He's a very smart player that does extend drives while rarely turning it over. If our play where Hermanson took the ball was a gift then JJ's gratis to USD was as well.

When it is all said and done you guys won the game and that is all that matters. I don't like the word gift when it comes to football. Turnovers are part of the game. Sometimes you create your own good fortune. Now myself as a Bison fan I have walked out of the Fargodome feeling fortunate that we won on a few occasions over the years. Last years semifinal against GSU, I couldn't figure out how we won until I watched the replay the next day! It does happen, but you still won and that's what matters!

robsnotes4u
November 9th, 2013, 10:26 PM
When it is all said and done you guys won the game and that is all that matters. I don't like the word gift when it comes to football. Turnovers are part of the game. Sometimes you create your own good fortune. Now myself as a Bison fan I have walked out of the Fargodome feeling fortunate that we won on a few occasions over the years. Last years semifinal against GSU, I couldn't figure out how we won until I watched the replay the next day! It does happen, but you still won and that's what matters!

You are correct. That GSU game last year had my ears ringing for days. Fun game to be at.

robsnotes4u
November 9th, 2013, 10:31 PM
What did the guy at the muffler shop say about it?

Griz banker post #469 on the game day thread on egriz

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?t=64420#p920968

robsnotes4u
November 9th, 2013, 10:37 PM
For the ranking 11 MSU 14 UM.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Griz banker post #469 on the game day thread on egriz

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?t=64420#p920968

It doesn't matter that it was said. I believed you. Not sure what someone on egriz says means a whole lot more to me than what the guy at the muffler shop said unless the guy talking is some sort of coach or one that would actually know something other than making an offhand comment.

Cody Kirk is damn good. MSU's offensive line is good but is not overly big or brutal...no more so than teams we've already faced anyway in the likes of the schedule we've had so far. So it isn't a good resource as back up for your point was the point.

The guy at the muffler shop has every bit as much impact as what someone on egriz said about it...not much.

MSU's really strong point is there ability to create turnovers and the Buchanon candidate and his buddies. There is a lot for them to worry about, there is a lot for us to worry about.

robsnotes4u
November 9th, 2013, 11:05 PM
It doesn't matter that it was said. I believed you. Not sure what someone on egriz says means a whole lot more to me than what the guy at the muffler shop said unless the guy talking is some sort of coach or one that would actually know something other than making an offhand comment.

Cody Kirk is damn good. MSU's offensive line is good but is not overly big or brutal...no more so than teams we've already faced anyway in the likes of the schedule we've had so far. So it isn't a good resource as back up for your point was the point.

The guy at the muffler shop has every bit as much impact as what someone on egriz said about it...not much.

MSU's really strong point is there ability to create turnovers and the Buchanon candidate and his buddies. There is a lot for them to worry about, there is a lot for us to worry about.

Wouldn't bet either way. Thanks for being civil and knowing people are voicing opinions. On egriz if an opinion is against the Griz you are attacked.

Myself , I like the Griz, married one, doesn't mean I can't critique.

Good luck the rest of the way, going to be a tough road for both Montana teams

Yotes
November 9th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Wouldn't bet either way. Thanks for being civil and knowing people are voicing opinions. On egriz if an opinion is against the Griz you are attacked.

It's a very ignorant bunch over there. Modesty does not seem to hold much meaning with a great lot of them.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2013, 11:28 PM

I don't go to egriz because it just isn't a place where I like to interact due to a lot of really silly stuff said and so forth. I appreciate a little more well rounded look from more of a national perspective.

I'd just as soon it wasn't brought here because I really don't want it to seem like it's something Griz fans here subscribe to but it happens. so Just know that it doesn't mean too much in the way of a source to be cited. xlolx

Vitojr130
November 9th, 2013, 11:40 PM

Eastern Illinois scares me a little bit with their high-flying passing game, especially with Marcus being out (and now Grant Olson and Travis Beck [maybe]).

That being said, it still doesn't scare me too much.

putter
November 10th, 2013, 12:22 AM

It's OK rob, no different than any other forum. The Griz have a lot of talent but have not put a full game together this year so fans are very restless, including myself. 1st half Griz D was not playing well (USD offense was very prepared), 2nd half Griz O played poorly and Griz D held USD to 3 points while Griz O had 0 but 7 on defensive score and 7 on ST score. Offense, Defense and ST... Griz needed them all today and I will take it as a fan but this has been a frustrating year to be a Griz fan. No consistency at all.

OH, I will have Montana at 14 and MSU at 10. Eastern is good and it is not a shame to lose to them on the road.

Livgriz
November 10th, 2013, 12:24 AM
It's a very ignorant bunch over there. Modesty does not seem to hold much meaning with a great lot of them.

You just can't make this stuff up. robespierrre4U quotes and links what an anonymous fan says on his own message board here on a national board (AGS) and then complains that they are MEAN to him over there. Where I come from,and forgive me for saying so sir, you would be accused of having gritty nethers. A trait you share with at least a few of your Dakota bretheren. Like Yotes.

Squealofthepig
November 10th, 2013, 12:27 AM

egriz (and, honestly, most fanboards) should be avoided at any and all costs, unless you're just looking for quick injury reports and the like.

I'll still have the griz in the 15-20 range; not sure how far I'll drop the Bobcats, but they definitely disappointed today (well, disappointed me as a voter, not as a Griz fan), especially their secondary.

robsnotes4u
November 10th, 2013, 09:10 AM
You just can't make this stuff up. robespierrre4U quotes and links what an anonymous fan says on his own message board here on a national board (AGS) and then complains that they are MEAN to him over there. Where I come from,and forgive me for saying so sir, you would be accused of having gritty nethers. A trait you share with at least a few of your Dakota bretheren. Like Yotes.

Ha, I laugh at them, Mean never said that. The quote plus many others were to show a lot if Griz are afraid of the Cats. I have never seen people flip flop. One minute they are a terrible team and shouldn't be in the playoffs, the very next they are arguing what seed they should get. Change it from egriz to Jekyll and Hyde. Comical to say the least.

I guess where I come from, sir, the state of Montana, a compliment to someone being civil does not mean you are accusing some one of being mean.

Gil Dobie
November 10th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Dropping MSU from 11 to 15, Montana moved up to 10, due to losses ahead of them.

dystopiamembrane
November 10th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Dropping MSU from 11 to 15, Montana moved up to 10, due to losses ahead of them.MSU stays steady at 27, Montana moved up to 14

robsnotes4u
November 10th, 2013, 09:54 AM
MSU stays steady at 27, Montana moved up to 14

Steady at 27, that is where you had them before?

dystopiamembrane
November 10th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Steady at 27, that is where you had them before?Yes. Where did you have them?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 10th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Ha, I laugh at them, Mean never said that. The quote plus many others were to show a lot if Griz are afraid of the Cats. I have never seen people flip flop. One minute they are a terrible team and shouldn't be in the playoffs, the very next they are arguing what seed they should get. Change it from egriz to Jekyll and Hyde. Comical to say the least.

I guess where I come from, sir, the state of Montana, a compliment to someone being civil does not mean you are accusing some one of being mean.

rob, are you saying that it is the same poster that says one thing and then says another? I have seen that but it seems what you are pointing is also likely to be completely different posters on the same board saying different things?

You can't take the entirety of the board and say one minute they are saying this and the other they are saying that if it isn't the same people making the statements? People have arguments on boards so that same thing would be said of any place.

KWCAT
November 10th, 2013, 03:11 PM
First, congratulations to EWU from an MSU fan. Very well played by coaches and players.
Want to comment on Eagles passing game primarily. Above and beyond the obvious quality of talent, Junior Adams has done a tremendous job teaching 3 of his playing day habits to his receivers....
1) players do not give up on routes, including continuation of getting open if play collapses.
2) players, combined with Vernon Adams throws, realize defenders largely never turn(due to speed of receiver or learned technique?)and adjust very
slight enough off route to make the completion. (Seems like great teamwork and trust to me where often many receivers don't do the last second
adjustment almost as do say "I ran my route so what else can I do!"
3) players expect to connect with their teammate.

Well done Junior!

KWCAT
November 10th, 2013, 03:18 PM
In regards to thread title, MSU has two very good opponents the last two weeks at home. I believe they should win the last two, but each game will be big dog fights and the Cats will need to shake the emotion of their beating in Cheney, correct our scheme defensively, raise our attitude and expectation offensively, and play with a sense of urgency because the season will come to an end if we don't put the pieces together.
Go Cats!

KWCAT
November 10th, 2013, 03:33 PM

I grew up in eastern Montana making North D jokes. My dad from SD, mom and wife from ND, and half my Mt high school ND. Many friends and relatives
@ ND schools.Still work in ND and eastern MT frequently and feel more like a MonDak guy. They call me west Dakotan over here in Bzman. Was disappointed not to make the trip to Fargo earlier this fall.
Hope the Cats get it figured out and we make a better play off run than the last 3. Plenty of talent but missing some integral pieces.
PS won $20 on the then NDSU upset at UM. Was recruited for school and football in the 80's so still had some enthusiasm and thought UM was underestimating them

putter
November 10th, 2013, 03:38 PM

Don't totally agree but I understand your post. It was a slugfest in the 2nd half and the Griz outplayed them on those 2 plays in the 4th. Montana was outplayed most of the first half, no question but the D tightened up and made a big play on the strip and TD. I will take it and yes, I think every Griz fan is feeling fortunate..not just for Saturday but for the last 3 weeks! IF the Griz get Travon Van back for Cat/Griz then IMO you will see a totally different team as far as running the ball. That guy is a playmaker.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 10th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Don't totally agree but I understand your post. It was a slugfest in the 2nd half and the Griz outplayed them on those 2 plays in the 4th. Montana was outplayed most of the first half, no question but the D tightened up and made a big play on the strip and TD. I will take it and yes, I think every Griz fan is feeling fortunate..not just for Saturday but for the last 3 weeks! IF the Griz get Travon Van back for Cat/Griz then IMO you will see a totally different team as far as running the ball. That guy is a playmaker.

You would also see a fresher defense if we were to get that running game going again The defense spends a lot more time on the field when we are playing this way. Glad we won but we need to get back to controlling the clock a bit more as well. Getting the rushing back to snuff would be a key part of that.

srgrizizen
November 10th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Everywhere else in the country they're known as North Dakota jokes. You just insert "Montana" and copy the same jokes.xlolx

semobison
November 10th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Everywhere else in the country they're known as North Dakota jokes. You just insert "Montana" and copy the same jokes.xlolx

No way, the rancher with the velcro gloves only works in Montana!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 10th, 2013, 07:55 PM
No way, the rancher with the velcro gloves only works in Montana!

No trust me I've seen the oversized boots that go along with those gloves in ND.

I think srgriz doesn't get that ND jokes are not all the rage around the country. From what I've seen on here before each little area has their own "ND" to work for their purposes.

KWCAT
November 11th, 2013, 12:57 AM
No such thing as a North Dakota joke!

Walkon79
November 14th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Don't really care where they are ranked, but both teams have glaring weaknesses right now.

Making it past the second round will be a challenge.

SD4ever
November 15th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I know Yotes, I looked at the recap. Tough loss for u guys, next year I think u guys will be pretty darn tough.

They will be pretty darn tough for as long as Joe Glenn is Coach. It's just getting started. Future visits by any team to The Danger Dome will be very challenging.

Go Coyotes!

Twentysix
November 16th, 2013, 01:54 AM
They will be pretty darn tough for as long as Joe Glenn is Coach. It's just getting started. Future visits by any team to The Danger Dome will be very challenging.

Go Coyotes!

I hope we can repeat 1986 in 2014.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7167/6400371805_b1f1a2b315_z.jpg
North Dakota State University Defeats Conference Foe University of South Dakota to win the 1986 National Championship.