PDA

View Full Version : SHSU Weight Facility to Be Named for Fmr HC Randleman

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2006, 08:55 PM
The AD announced at halftime that Ron Randleman will be honored in a few weeks with a naming of the weight complex after the head coach during the renuion of the 1986 Gulf Star Conference championship team.

It's tough as heck to transition a team from Div II to I-AA. We've seen our share of teams fail at it and we've seen our share of teams successful at it...

More importantly than anything is Randleman's contributions to both the university and the community. While a student, it was not unusual to see Randleman at events out in the community. He was highly respected by the community and by those at the school. He has meant a lot to our program and to our institution.

Pictures of weight facility:
http://bearkats.shsu.edu/athletics/weight_room.html

Release should probably be forthcoming soon from athletic department...

GeauxLions94
October 7th, 2006, 09:28 PM
The AD announced at halftime that Ron Randleman will be honored in a few weeks with a naming of the weight complex after the head coach during the renuion of the 1986 Gulf Star Conference championship team.

It's tough as heck to transition a team from Div II to I-AA. We've seen our share of teams fail at it and we've seen our share of teams successful at it...

More importantly than anything is Randleman's contributions to both the university and the community. While a student, it was not unusual to see Randleman at events out in the community. He was highly respected by the community and by those at the school. He has meant a lot to our program and to our institution.

Pictures of weight facility:

Release should probably be forthcoming soon from athletic department...

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: Great move by Bobby Williams and Co.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Bobby Williams said in his interview this facility is going to have the greatest impact on the athletic department...

Ron Randleman easily had one of the largest impacts in the history of the Bearkat athletic program, so it's very fitting...

Bearkatpresident
October 7th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Any word on when they're going to make it official, I want to be there for that.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Any word on when they're going to make it official, I want to be there for that.

Look for the release here in the next week or two, I think they said something about the McNeese weekend...

kats89
October 7th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Something doesnt make sense to me. Why would you not name the weight facility after Ron Mafrige when he put up the money to get it started, and name the fieldhouse after Ron Randleman since he was the coach? I think they screwed the pooch on this one.xidiotx :nod:

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2006, 07:56 AM
The release from Bearkat Athletics. Today, a great coach is being honored with the naming of the new strength and fitness facility...

October 28, 2006

HUNTSVILLE -- Sam Houston State University 's new strength and fitness facility adjacent to Bowers Stadium will be designated as the Ron Randleman Strength and Fitness Center in a special ceremony to be held Saturday, Oct. 28, at 4 p.m.

Randleman was head football coach at Sam Houston for 23 years (from 1982 to 2004), totaling 132 victories and leading the Bearkats to five conference championships and four national playoff appearances. He served as director of athletics from 1984 to 1990, coordinating the University's move from the NAIA and Lone Star Conference to membership in the Southland Conference and competition at the NCAA Division I level.

During his 36 years as a head football coach, Randleman compiled a career record of 219 victories, 166 losses, and six ties to rank sixth all-time among NCAA Division I-AA coaches in total wins. During his tenure at William Penn, Pittsburg State, and Sam Houston, he won 11 conference championships and directed teams to post-season play 10 times. He was honored as regional or conference “Coach of the Year” 12 times.

The new center was made possible by a gift of $250,000 by Houston businessman and Bearkat alum Ron Mafrige. The 11,000 square foot facility will be utilized by student-athletes from all 16 varsity sports. The center consists of coaches' offices, men's and women's dressing rooms, and a 9,000 square foot area for weights.

“There couldn't be a better way to honor Ron Randleman and his contributions to this University than by naming the strength and fitness center in his honor,” Sam Houston Director of Athletics Bobby Williams said. “Ron made a tremendous impact on Sam Houston. He directed a winning program with integrity. More than 90 per cent of players who stayed with coach until their senior year earned their Sam Houston degree. Ron hired me as an assistant coach in 1982. I have five championship rings because of this man. He taught me and a whole lot of other people to be winners and to win with class.”