Apphole
November 9th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Georgia State 2.0

NoDak 4 Ever
November 9th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Hm, where are all the UNCC guys today?

hebmskebm
November 9th, 2013, 03:33 PM
For the record, Wesley is a perennial playoff contender. They've got a lot more talent than the typical DIII team.

kdinva
November 9th, 2013, 03:42 PM
For the record, Wesley is a perennial playoff contender. They've got a lot more talent than the typical DIII team.

that is a given........they play in December regularly.....

ASUMountaineer
November 9th, 2013, 03:46 PM

The local paper in Charlotte was touting that Wesley is "another nationally-ranked opponent for the 49ers." xlolx

App State may have gotten blown out today (though a 14-6 halftime score is not too shabby), but this made my day. xlolx at UNCC.

49RFootballNow
November 9th, 2013, 03:58 PM
The local paper in Charlotte was touting that Wesley is "another nationally-ranked opponent for the 49ers." xlolx

App State may have gotten blown out today (though a 14-6 halftime score is not too shabby), but this made my day. xlolx at UNCC.

That's awesome for you because your own team sure hasn't given you much to feel good about this year.

It was a bad loss and no one's happy about it, but except for Presby we've played ranked teams since September and we've done it with 16 starting true or red-shirt freshmen. Freshmen make mistakes and we made a ****-ton of them today. They'll learn and the get better from it.

Don't be like Gonzo and beat-off to the score of our game while your own house smells like **** this year.

WH49er
November 9th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Hm, where are all the UNCC guys today?

We are here. Funny that Gonzo is talking **** when Happy Appy has won 2 games. Wonder if Gamestop gave him the weekend off?

Today was our **** the bed moment. Also, I can see why WV fans hated Mullins.

DoubleE
November 9th, 2013, 04:06 PM
i know it was just a scrimmage but 3 years ago Mount Union (D3) beat Akron (D1-A) in a passing scrimmage badly......

but again just a scrimmage

WH49er
November 9th, 2013, 04:08 PM

45-6, wonder where all the App fans that were touting a close game are? Wait they are out getting jacked up for Tarheel basketball season.....

ASU_Fanatic
November 9th, 2013, 04:28 PM
45-6, wonder where all the App fans that were touting a close game are? Wait they are out getting jacked up for Tarheel basketball season.....
Idk where you saw any App fan saying it would be close. It was what I expected, App did enough to hang around early (14-6 at halftime is not bad, could have been 14-12) but in the second half App wouldn't have the depth to keep up. And our basketball team could be solid, only down by 5 at the half to NC State last night without who's probably our best player. I saw the highlights of UNCC struggling to beat ETSU in what appeared to be an empty Halton Arena though!

WH49er
November 9th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Idk where you saw any App fan saying it would be close. It was what I expected, App did enough to hang around early (14-6 at halftime is not bad, could have been 14-12) but in the second half App wouldn't have the depth to keep up. And our basketball team could be solid, only down by 5 at the half to NC State last night without who's probably our best player. I saw the highlights of UNCC struggling to beat ETSU in what appeared to be an empty Halton Arena though!

Before the season App fans were predicting a sweep of the SoCon, a close Georgia game, and fringe Top 25 ranking in their 1st FBS season. As far as basketball goes, NC State is going to be horrible this year and I didn't know games were only played to halftime. Thanks for keeping up with Charlotte basketball. We will still average over 6K this year about 10 times what you guys will average in basketball and are looking for an NCAA bid.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 9th, 2013, 04:37 PM
We are here. Funny that Gonzo is talking **** when Happy Appy has won 2 games. Wonder if Gamestop gave him the weekend off?

Today was our **** the bed moment. Also, I can see why WV fans hated Mullins.

There is zero excuse to lose to a D3 opponent. Forget the App guys, I'm laughing.

ASU_Fanatic
November 9th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Before the season App fans were predicting a sweep of the SoCon, a close Georgia game, and fringe Top 25 ranking in their 1st FBS season. As far as basketball goes, NC State is going to be horrible this year and I didn't know games were only played to halftime. Thanks for keeping up with Charlotte basketball. We will still average over 6K this year about 10 times what you guys will average in basketball and are looking for an NCAA bid.
That's right. Guess last night's attendance was down because all the students had gone home for the weekend to be with mama.

WH49er
November 9th, 2013, 04:47 PM
There is zero excuse to lose to a D3 opponent. Forget the App guys, I'm laughing.

You're preaching to the choir. Congrats on just being a straight douche though.

darell1976
November 9th, 2013, 04:48 PM

Are you talking about South Dakota State?

WH49er
November 9th, 2013, 04:50 PM
That's right. Guess last night's attendance was down because all the students had gone home for the weekend to be with mama.

To be honest, it was more of the alumni but keep trolling. What are you going say come December 8th when there are more Charlotte fans in the Holmes Center than App fans? xthumbsupx

darell1976
November 9th, 2013, 04:52 PM
UNCC it happens, we lost to former NAIA champion Sioux Falls in 2009, just get over it and march on. Good luck the rest of the season!

NoDak 4 Ever
November 9th, 2013, 04:54 PM

Oh stop. Welcome to the board. You just want to take out your frustration on the one losing season App has, that's kind of douchey.

WH49er
November 9th, 2013, 04:56 PM
UNCC it happens, we lost to former NAIA champion Sioux Falls in 2009, just get over it and march on. Good luck the rest of the season!

Thanks for the kind words, just glad to have college football.

Lehigh'98
November 9th, 2013, 04:56 PM

Don't mind him, he trolls every thread. Pride of the Bison

WH49er
November 9th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Oh stop. Welcome to the board. You just want to take out your frustration on the one losing season App has, that's kind of douchey.

You should go look at the threads, this is the 1st time all year I've said anything about App's losing season. I mention one game in a Charlotte thread and I'm the douche xbeerchugx

NoDak 4 Ever
November 9th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Don't mind him, he trolls every thread. Pride of the Bison

http://www.lehighsportsforum.com/forums/forum/lehigh-sports/lehigh-football/

interference free.

Apphole
November 9th, 2013, 05:55 PM
What are you going say come December 8th when there are more Charlotte fans in the Holmes Center than App fans? xthumbsupx

xlolx

ASU_Fanatic
November 9th, 2013, 05:59 PM
To be honest, it was more of the alumni but keep trolling. What are you going say come December 8th when there are more Charlotte fans in the Holmes Center than App fans? xthumbsupx
LMAOOOOO. I'm going to MAKE SURE I'm at this game.

Ivytalk
November 9th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Here's to Dover's finest!xthumbsupx

WH49er
November 9th, 2013, 06:08 PM
LMAOOOOO. I'm going to MAKE SURE I'm at this game.

So its going to be you and 6 other App State fans? Wonder if that will bring up the APR of your team?

Wait....wait...wait....you better check your schedule, might be a Duke basketball game on that day.

ASU_Fanatic
November 9th, 2013, 06:09 PM
So its going to be you and 6 other App State fans? Wonder if that will bring up the APR of your team?

Wait....wait...wait....you better check your schedule, might be a Duke basketball game on that day.
Hush with that. I'm 99% positive you grew up supporting a triangle team at least in basketball. I'm still in high school. When I go to college next year I won't care near as much.

WH49er
November 9th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Hush with that. I'm 99% positive you grew up supporting a triangle team at least in basketball. I'm still in high school. When I go to college next year I won't care near as much.

My dad is also an alum of Charlotte, sorry to disappoint you. Glad to see to you throw Duke to the wayside, I can cheers to that xbeerchugx

ASU_Fanatic
November 9th, 2013, 06:16 PM
My dad is also an alum of Charlotte, sorry to disappoint you. Glad to see to you throw Duke to the wayside, I can cheers to that xbeerchugx
My dad went to App. Been going to games ever since I can remember but basketball just never gave me anything to cheer for at App so I adopted Duke as my team when I was like 6-7. I've loved them for years, it'll be tough but I know I have to move on and give most of my support to the college I go to (hopefully App or State).

91Niner
November 9th, 2013, 06:30 PM

Funny, box score shows 4796 and that is BAD for us admittedly. If 4796 is "empty" what do you call Holmes when it has its normal 1200..................I bet App doesn't average 2000 this year. Of course, we'll help your average considerably in early December.

CID1990
November 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM

Actually that was probably just Apphole and Saint.

WH49er
November 9th, 2013, 07:06 PM

#Chessmaster

superman7515
November 9th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Wesley has beaten a few D1 schools. I don't believe they did last season, but two years ago was a double digit victory at Charleston Southern.

ASUMountaineer
November 9th, 2013, 10:18 PM
That's awesome for you because your own team sure hasn't given you much to feel good about this year.

It was a bad loss and no one's happy about it, but except for Presby we've played ranked teams since September and we've done it with 16 starting true or red-shirt freshmen. Freshmen make mistakes and we made a ****-ton of them today. They'll learn and the get better from it.

Don't be like Gonzo and beat-off to the score of our game while your own house smells like **** this year.

I'm not sure it's useful to tout ranked teams in lower divisions, especially D-III...but, to each their own.

Everyone knows App State isn't that good this year, though I honestly don't know how we'd do against a "nationally-ranked" D-III team as we haven't played one.

ASUMountaineer
November 9th, 2013, 10:19 PM

Yup, 45-6 to Georgia between the hedges. So, it's cool.

Wesley College. xlolx

ASUMountaineer
November 9th, 2013, 10:20 PM

My prediction on MMB was UGA 42-9...pretty close. WH is just offering generalizations. I thought part of AGS' charm was busting chops. Guess some guys can't take it. xlolx

CID1990
November 9th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Wesley has beaten a few D1 schools. I don't believe they did last season, but two years ago was a double digit victory at Charleston Southern.

Two years ago CSU wasn't... CSU

clenz
November 9th, 2013, 11:11 PM
A 42 6 loss at Georgia is a hell of a lot less embarrassing than a home loss to any d3 school in the nation...ever....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

superman7515
November 9th, 2013, 11:14 PM
They absolutely were CSU. They've had more seasons of 0 or 1 win since moving to D1 than winning seasons. Same ol', same ol'.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 10th, 2013, 07:37 AM
A 42 6 loss at Georgia is a hell of a lot less embarrassing than a home loss to any d3 school in the nation...ever....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This here 1000%

It is a fricking D3 school.....xlolx

A 49er fan cannot spin it anyway......not even the freshman make mistakes angle.

It is a fricking D3 school......xlolx

ASUMountaineer
November 11th, 2013, 07:52 AM
This here 1000%

A 49er fan cannot spin it anyway......not even the freshman make mistakes angle.

But...but, it was a nationally-ranked D-III school!

Given our record and season, I was pleased with our effort between the hedges. Sure, we got blown out in the second half, but the play in the first half was impressive...but, we have to start capitalizing on each scoring opportunity.

darell1976
November 11th, 2013, 08:22 AM
This here 1000%

Anybody can beat anybody. I am sure FBS teams who don't lose to FCS teams laugh at the ones that do. How could Michigan lose to App State, how could UNI lose to North Dakota, how could Montana lose to North Dakota State. How could South Dakota State lose to Wisconsin-Lacrosse (DIII). It happens. Your conference mates know about losing to lower division teams. So keep laughing until it happens to your team.

clenz
November 11th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Anybody can beat anybody. I am sure FBS teams who don't lose to FCS teams laugh at the ones that do. How could Michigan lose to App State, how could UNI lose to North Dakota, how could Montana lose to North Dakota State. How could South Dakota State lose to Wisconsin-Lacrosse (DIII). It happens. Your conference mates know about losing to lower division teams. So keep laughing until it happens to your team.
That UNI loss to UND is, for a myriad of reasons, the most embarrassing day in UNI football history...which furthers the point of how embarrassing it really is.

A d3 team should NEVER beat a D1 team....also to compare it to FCS/FBS is ****ing stupid.....unless you are talking about an FBS losing to Jacksonville.

darell1976
November 11th, 2013, 09:19 AM
That UNI loss to UND is, for a myriad of reasons, the most embarrassing day in UNI football history...which furthers the point of how embarrassing it really is.

A d3 team should NEVER beat a D1 team....also to compare it to FCS/FBS is ****ing stupid.....unless you are talking about an FBS losing to Jacksonville.

But the attitude is the same. Just reading the K-State board and having fans calling NDSU an NAIA team, and I am sure the Gophers fans did the same before South Dakota (during their transition) shut them up. Yes a D1 team shouldn't lose to a DIII team or a DII team or an NAIA team but it happens. Even the greatest team put together can fall on any given day.

smallcollegefbfan
November 11th, 2013, 09:20 AM

People have to remember that UNCC is a start up program. If they beat anyone it's a good thing because all the teams they are playing have been around. Wesley is a D3 powerhouse. UNCC will improve. App State can't really laugh at anything. They have a lot of house cleaning that needs to be done in their program and need to fix the problems at home before they laugh at a start up program who has never played football before. UNCC didn't have a team last year. They will get better.

smallcollegefbfan
November 11th, 2013, 09:22 AM

Anyone who thought that was crazy. I actually thought App would go 8-4 this year and then 6-6 or 5-7 next year when the Sun Belt got tougher. If they end up 3-9 or 4-8 this year, imagine what next year will be? It might really get crazy for App if they lose the next two. I predict some people whose jobs have appeared to be solid to be on the way out if they lose the next two, and I would not guarantee any of their jobs if they lose to Wofford and barely beat WCU.

ASUMountaineer
November 11th, 2013, 10:57 AM
People have to remember that UNCC is a start up program. If they beat anyone it's a good thing because all the teams they are playing have been around. Wesley is a D3 powerhouse. UNCC will improve. App State can't really laugh at anything. They have a lot of house cleaning that needs to be done in their program and need to fix the problems at home before they laugh at a start up program who has never played football before. UNCC didn't have a team last year. They will get better.

I don't think we're laughing at UNCC's football team, only the "chattown's" of their fan base.

smallcollegefbfan
November 11th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I don't think we're laughing at UNCC's football team, only the "chattown's" of their fan base.

I know you aren't. Just remember, every school has a couple of those. Some people just don't know football and they think they do. App has a few of them, too. lol

ASUMountaineer
November 11th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I know you aren't. Just remember, every school has a couple of those. Some people just don't know football and they think they do. App has a few of them, too. lol

Every school does, indeed. A buddy at work is a UNCC grad...we rip each other all the time. It's all in good fun, but not everyone can take it as well as they can dish it.

Apphole
November 11th, 2013, 11:28 AM
UNCC'S fan base has the highest delusional homer:normal fan ratio on the Internet and they're obsessed with App State (as well as me specifically. I live in their heads free of rent).

It's only natural for us to enjoy watching UNCC fans fall to Earth after three years hearing that App football is "doomed" now that Harrisburg has been blessed with D-1 football.

Wesley College. xlolx

walliver
November 11th, 2013, 12:46 PM

Mercer is 9-1.

UNCC's schedule does appear to be tougher.

UNCC gives athletic scholarships, Mercer doesn't (even though they do).

SpeedkingATL
November 11th, 2013, 01:05 PM
It's an ugly loss for UNCC but as a startup program what does it matter. It will certainly quiet down some of the more delusional fans but their first year has been successful overall. At least they are excited about their program which is a lot more than I can say about some FCS schools that have been around for a long time. In comparison of expectations UNCC has probably had a better year than App this year. I truly hope both programs have much better years next year and I hope a healthy rivalry develops over the next decade. Losing sucks, regardless of who you lose too.

ASU_Fanatic
November 11th, 2013, 01:49 PM
UNCC is gonna be getting hammered once 2015 comes though, may take them awhile to build a winning team.

smallcollegefbfan
November 11th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Mercer is 9-1.

UNCC's schedule does appear to be tougher.

UNCC has a much tougher schedule. Mercer has a very good head coach though. They are playing a very weak schedule but still they should not beat anyone. Mercer has done a heck of a job.

WH49er
November 11th, 2013, 02:36 PM
UNCC is gonna be getting hammered once 2015 comes though, may take them awhile to build a winning team.

That is given for any FCS program moving up to FBS in today's football world.

clenz
November 11th, 2013, 02:55 PM
That is given for any FCS program moving up to FBS in today's football world.
I would bet there is a decent number of FCS teams that could move to the FBS and do fairly well. Maybe not 9/10 wins every year but 6-8 on a fairly regular basis.

91Niner
November 11th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I would bet there is a decent number of FCS teams that could m. ove to the FBS and do fairly well. Maybe not 9/10 wins every year but 6-8 on a fairly regular basis.

And don't be so certain Charlotte can't do that either. Charlotte wisely red-shirted a lot of guys this season that could have helped and I'm sure will do the same next year. Also, the Niners played lots of guys this season that were recruited when the school was an FCS Indy who had no conference affiliation and walk-ons who really weren't "recruited" at all. Almost none of this season's players were signed AFTER we made the C-USA announcment.

WH49er
November 11th, 2013, 03:12 PM
I would bet there is a decent number of FCS teams that could move to the FBS and do fairly well. Maybe not 9/10 wins every year but 6-8 on a fairly regular basis.

I don't doubt that one bit but history has shown it will be tough sledding for a few years.

Apphole
November 11th, 2013, 04:12 PM
And don't be so certain Charlotte can't do that either. Charlotte wisely red-shirted a lot of guys this season that could have helped and I'm sure will do the same next year. Also, the Niners played lots of guys this season that were recruited when the school was an FCS Indy who had no conference affiliation and walk-ons who really weren't "recruited" at all. Almost none of this season's players were signed AFTER we made the C-USA announcment.

Georgia State 2.0

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 11th, 2013, 04:27 PM

Really?

D3 has no schollies darell. FCS has 63. D3 should never beat a FCS team.

darell1976
November 11th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Really?

Yes really. It is embarrassing but it does happen. You do what the Jackrabbits did, shake it off and march on.

91Niner
November 11th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Really?

Yeah, Charlotte only has ~45 scholarships filled right now and only played about 30 of those this season.

91Niner
November 11th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Georgia State 2.0

You wish.....Funny, we're not the ones joining their conference (and begging for a year to do so). Your team must have quite a bit in common with G. State.

ASU_Fanatic
November 11th, 2013, 06:42 PM
You wish.....Funny, we're not the ones joining their conference (and begging for a year to do so). Your team must have quite a bit in common with G. State.......where do we even begin?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 11th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Yes really. It is embarrassing but it does happen. You do what the Jackrabbits did, shake it off and march on.

Very rarely does it happen. It would be like the Cobbers beating the Bison....xnutsx

HenZoneNation
November 12th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Have to agree with the majority of the board here. There is no reason on earth that a D3 team should beat an FCS school. Even a start up school. Even the '08 season, which was the worst offensive team UD ever had, we still would have waxed Mount Union or Whitewater. It just shouldn't happen. I was happy for Wesley and it was a good story...but that was crazy...

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2013, 08:51 AM

This sounds familiar, but when I've heard it before it was criticized as an excuse, not a reason...

walliver
November 12th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Really?

FCS has a maximum of 63 scholarships, divisible into up to 85 players, but no minimums.

Two FCS conferences allow 0 athletic scholarships. Although somehow, good athletes seem to get academic scholarships.xconfusedx

91Niner
November 12th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Have to agree with the majority of the board here. There is no reason on earth that a D3 team should beat an FCS school. Even a start up school. Even the '08 season, which was the worst offensive team UD ever had, we still would have waxed Mount Union or Whitewater. It just shouldn't happen. I was happy for Wesley and it was a good story...but that was crazy...

You might want to take a look at the 1st and 2nd year results from the all of the recent D1 start-ups. Everyone of them has lost to either a D3 or a "non-scholly" D1, which is no better and in some cases worse.

HenZoneNation
November 12th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I didn't say it didn't happen...I'm saying it shouldn't happen. I teach part time at a D3 school...they're average but not terrible...and I'm telling you it would be a blood bath id they played us, even on bad year. From a level perspective...remember when Appy beat Michigan and there was a huge uproar? That was two scholarship teams competing, separated by one level, and people were stunned. Now I get that this is a start up program, but if Rutgers lost to a D2 team, there would be riots in NJ...

superman7515
November 12th, 2013, 09:39 AM

Colgate made a national championship with no schollies.

Apphole
November 12th, 2013, 09:51 AM
It's pretty well accepted that UNC Charlotte is the second coming of Georgia State. The two are both urban universities in large markets; they lack college atmospheres, serving mainly to pump out as many degrees as possible; and they owe their FBS conference affiliation to their physical location and nothing else.

Georgia State lost to an NAIA school that no longer exists when it first began football. Was UNCC's loss to D-3 Welsey even worse?

walliver
November 12th, 2013, 10:00 AM
It's pretty well accepted that UNC Charlotte is the second coming of Georgia State. The two are both urban universities in large markets; they lack college atmospheres, serving mainly to pump out as many degrees as possible; and they owe their FBS conference affiliation to their physical location and nothing else.

Georgia State lost to an NAIA school that no longer exists when it first began football. Was UNCC's loss to D-3 Welsey even worse?

The big difference is that Georgia State shares a market with UGA and GaTech, and plays in a venue too large for any sub-BCS team. UNCC only has to compete with the Panthers. Their long-term attendance will probably fit in well with the "We used to be SunBelt but now we're C-USA and hope one day to be AAC" conference. Georgia State is always going to be stuck in the Falcons' Dome, or whatever the Falcons move into next, which will be way too large for any school in Georgia not located in Athens. It will be hard to build excitement playing in front of 50,000+ empty seats - they'd probably be better off playing in a high school stadium.

clenz
November 12th, 2013, 10:00 AM
You might want to take a look at the 1st and 2nd year results from the all of the recent D1 start-ups. Everyone of them has lost to either a D3 or a "non-scholly" D1, which is no better and in some cases worse.
Georgia State is complete dog ****...and UNCC seems to be on a similar trajectory.

Mercer's only loss is San Diego - D1 - and have beaten all lower level schools by a average score of 40-14

ODU's first year they lost to 2 D1's and beat both lower level schools by an average of 43-19. Their second year had 3 losses...all to D1's...and didn't play a lowe level school. Actually, they haven't played a d2 or lower since their first season in 2009. They are beating full FBS teams without being a full FBS themselves at this point.

UTSA lost to McMurry in year 1 by 3 but beat the other lower level teams by an average of 52-7, played a FCS schedule. Their second year they played 2 non D1 teams and won by an average of 43-9...not only that they played 9 FBS schools and went 8-4

South Alabama first year went 7-0 playing only lower level schools and won by an average of 46-6. Second year went 10-0 playing 6 lower level and 4 D1's schools winning by an average of 54-12. Third season went 6-4 playing 2 lower level and a 50/50 split of FCS and FBS. They beat the lower level schools 24-6. 4th season went 2-11 playing all FBS (and 1 FCS).

Who else was there?

Notice something happening here? Teams have typically KILLED it their first season and only gotten better if they stayed FCS, but even the teams that were absolutley killing it once they hit a tougher FCS/FBS schedule fell off the face of the earth. ODU, probably the best start up program there was, was a to5 rated FCS program within 3 years and are now 7-3 with a mix of FCS and FBS however, they are just 1-3 against FBS schools. The one win was against Idaho, the other games have finished in an average loss of 45-24

Anyone with half a working brain would put a million dollars on ODU being the most successful start up to FBS program and even then they are looking at probably 7-8 wins at most for quite some time...including likely throttling the **** out of UNCC.

Non-scholly D1s still recruit a higher level athlete than the vast majority of D3s. Drake, a non-scholly in Iowa, would beat every single D3 school in the state of Iowa...and there is 10 of them. The only D1 non-scholly's that wouldn't be almost every single D3 would be....Valpo, Campbell, and Davidson...maybe Stetson

So....keep spinning the excuse wheel, the hole is just getting deeper under it

clenz
November 12th, 2013, 10:02 AM

I think it was. I played D3, but was recruited by FCS, D2, and NAIA as well. The NAIA schools I was recruited by would beat any D3 at least 90% of the time. They offer scholarships and take a lot of kids that might not qualify through the clearing house since they don't play by NCAA rules.

I love D3 ball and believe it gets disrespected quite a bit - but let's be real on this.

91Niner
November 12th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Georgia State is complete dog ****...and UNCC seems to be on a similar trajectory.

Mercer's only loss is San Diego - D1 - and have beaten all lower level schools by a average score of 40-14

ODU's first year they lost to 2 D1's and beat both lower level schools by an average of 43-19. Their second year had 3 losses...all to D1's...and didn't play a lowe level school. Actually, they haven't played a d2 or lower since their first season in 2009. They are beating full FBS teams without being a full FBS themselves at this point.

UTSA lost to McMurry in year 1 by 3 but beat the other lower level teams by an average of 52-7, played a FCS schedule. Their second year they played 2 non D1 teams and won by an average of 43-9...not only that they played 9 FBS schools and went 8-4

South Alabama first year went 7-0 playing only lower level schools and won by an average of 46-6. Second year went 10-0 playing 6 lower level and 4 D1's schools winning by an average of 54-12. Third season went 6-4 playing 2 lower level and a 50/50 split of FCS and FBS. They beat the lower level schools 24-6. 4th season went 2-11 playing all FBS (and 1 FCS).

Who else was there?

Notice something happening here? Teams have typically KILLED it their first season and only gotten better if they stayed FCS, but even the teams that were absolutley killing it once they hit a tougher FCS/FBS schedule fell off the face of the earth. ODU, probably the best start up program there was, was a to5 rated FCS program within 3 years and are now 7-3 with a mix of FCS and FBS however, they are just 1-3 against FBS schools. The one win was against Idaho, the other games have finished in an average loss of 45-24

Anyone with half a working brain would put a million dollars on ODU being the most successful start up to FBS program and even then they are looking at probably 7-8 wins at most for quite some time...including likely throttling the **** out of UNCC.

Non-scholly D1s still recruit a higher level athlete than the vast majority of D3s. Drake, a non-scholly in Iowa, would beat every single D3 school in the state of Iowa...and there is 10 of them. The only D1 non-scholly's that wouldn't be almost every single D3 would be....Valpo, Campbell, and Davidson...maybe Stetson

So....keep spinning the excuse wheel, the hole is just getting deeper under it

Some D1 non-schollies might, but most do not. Nice try though. We have one in our area (Davidson) and they are terrible as are most teams in their league (the Pioneer). Campbell, who we beat 52-7 in our first game is one of them as well as San Diego, Jacksonville and others. I've seen these teams in person. Wesley is better than most of them, certainly the majority of them.

San Diego is NON-SCHOLLY D1 (as I stated).....Guarantee Wesley would beat them.

ODU lost to NON-SCHOLLY JAcksonville in YEAR 2.....Probably comparable to Wesley.

A loss is a loss. We are in year 1 dude. We also beat a nationally ranked Gardner Webb team and played competitively with CCU and CSU. Charlotte will be fine. Enjoy ripping us while you can.

clenz
November 12th, 2013, 11:01 AM
GW is not nationally ranked...or at least shouldn't be if they are.

They just got throttled but freaking VMI and have lost their last 4 games against D1 teams by an average score of 37-16. Take out the non-D1 games from their schedule and they are 3-5 and zero wins since Sept 21st. Against D1 teams they are averaging 13 points per game (110 total on the season and 51 of them came against UNCC) and giving up 30, which includes a shut out.

Nice try.

Are you also going to tout Wesley as nationally ranked?

clenz
November 12th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I'll also add that while considered terrible losses, losing to a PFL team is a **** of a lot less embarrassing than losing to a D3

Twentysix
November 12th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Very rarely does it happen. It would be like the Cobbers beating the Bison....xnutsx

Haha yeah, Concordia offers academic scholarships as an athletic enticement, but they only are worth like 30% of yearly tuition (~$10,000), cost of yearly attendance at Concordia is 40k. Pay 120k to play DIII football; that's after 40k in academic scholarships for being an athlete... :\

Go to a National Research University in the same metro, pay 26k for an entire degree. xsmugx

NDSU could probably put together a club team that could beat Concordia.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 12th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Charlotte doesn't own the Charlotte market, far from it, the pecking order is Tar heels, State, Duke, Wake, ECU, then either App or UNCC. The Acc schools will always get the majority of the media coverage, and support of people living in Charlotte. Give an example, I live in South Florida, not far from FAU, the nearest big time school near them is Miami, some 45 miles away, FAU gets no media coverage, all coverage goes to Miami, Florida, FSU, even Central Florida, they are practically invisible down here, same for FIU. Its going to be tough for both App an UNCC to find their place among these schools, stand out, and gain respectability in the state of North Carolina.

Twentysix
November 12th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Charlotte doesn't own the Charlotte market, far from it, the pecking order is Tar heels, State, Duke, Wake, ECU, then either App or UNCC. The Acc schools will always get the majority of the media coverage, and support of people living in Charlotte. Give an example, I live in South Florida, not far from FAU, the nearest big time school near them is Miami, some 45 miles away, FAU gets no media coverage, all coverage goes to Miami, Florida, FSU, even Central Florida, they are practically invisible down here, same for FIU. Its going to be tough for both App an UNCC to find their place among these schools, stand out, and gain respectability in the state of North Carolina.

If FAU would win 11, 12, 13 games a year for a few years, they would get more coverage.

Teams that suck are not going to get media coverage.. that's obvious.

If UNC-Charlotte wins 12 games a year for 4 years straight, they will be the talk of Charlotte.

clenz
November 12th, 2013, 11:33 AM
If FAU would win 11, 12, 13 games a year for a few years, they would get more coverage.

Teams that suck are not going to get media coverage.. that's obvious.

If UNC-Charlotte wins 12 games a year for 4 years straight, they will be the talk of Charlotte.
Even good teams struggle though.

UNI has had the best basketball team in the state of Iowa for a decade now, has beaten FBS teams and played the close, been to the NC game, multiple semi finals and playoff appearances, etc... Iowa and Iowa State, no matter how bad they are, get the front page every single time. Hell, Iowa State WBB gets more coverage than UNI football and basketball in the majority of the state of Iowa.

Twentysix
November 12th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Even good teams struggle though.

UNI has had the best basketball team in the state of Iowa for a decade now, has beaten FBS teams and played the close, been to the NC game, multiple semi finals and playoff appearances, etc... Iowa and Iowa State, no matter how bad they are, get the front page every single time. Hell, Iowa State WBB gets more coverage than UNI football and basketball in the majority of the state of Iowa.

UNI is neither on the same level, nor is the question talking about coverage in the majority of the state, we are talking about one media market, which kinda kicks UNI out, maybe Drake is a better example in Iowa. It would be like if Drake was in the MAC, was playing in BCS bowl games and Iowa was still on the front page of the paper in Des Moines.

If Charlotte is making high level bowls on a regular basis, they will easily take a large share of the Charlotte media market. People in big media markets are Wal-Mart Wolverines, they just like a winner.

Twentysix
November 12th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Do people follow Tulsa when they kick ass? Do people follow TCU or SMU when they kick ass? Yes.

Even ORU makes the news in Tulsa. They don't even have a football team and are in a state with OU and OSU.

clenz
November 12th, 2013, 11:43 AM
UNI is neither on the same level, nor is the question talking about coverage in the majority of the state. It would be like if UNI was in the MAC, was playing in BCS bowl games and Iowa was still on the front page of the paper in Cedar Falls.
You mean like when UNI was in the midst of a S16 run and Iowa State WBB made the front page of the Des Moines Register and the first mention of UNI's mens team was page 4...and there was mentions of the Iowa and Iowa State teams (neither of which were in the post season) were made before UNI? That, that **** happened.

There is a huge difference between being a state with multiple FBS (BCS level) universities and being 4-5 hours from the closest FBS school. People in Cedar Falls can get to an 11 AM kick off at something like 8-10 FBS programs if they leave the house as late as 5AM. In the state of Florida, California, NC, SC, and Texas it's damn near impossible to get any coverage unless it's a decade plus of domination. I'd bet UCF is getting very little coverage right now. More than normal, but still very little

WH49er
November 12th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Our TV ratings were good enough this year that WCCB will be broadcasting some of our basketball games on top of the coverage that we are getting from Fox Sports 1. We've also had multiple front pages of the Charlotte Observer through out the year.

91Niner
November 12th, 2013, 12:00 PM

They just got throttled but freaking VMI and have lost their last 4 games against D1 teams by an average score of 37-16. Take out the non-D1 games from their schedule and they are 3-5 and zero wins since Sept 21st. Against D1 teams they are averaging 13 points per game (110 total on the season and 51 of them came against UNCC) and giving up 30, which includes a shut out.

Nice try.

G-W was undefeated and ranked #24 in FCS when we played them genius. We played CCU close for more than a half on the road and were within 7 points at CSU in the 4th quarter. We also played AT JMU when they were ranked #16 I believe and were still in the game at the half.

Your argument makes no sense at all anyway. If non-scholly is ALWAYS better than D3 (its not BTW, not even sure how dumb you must be if you believe that) then how do you explain us beating Campbell 52-7? Also we have beaten full-FCS schollies G-W at home, and Presbyterian on the road.

Nice try.

clenz
November 12th, 2013, 12:03 PM
ranked at the time...yeah, that means jack ****...especially in games that are early in the season.

At one time UNI was ranked #4, and we now sit at 5-5. Being ranked at 1 time doesn't mean you bet a team that deserved to be ranked. Again, the last time GW won a D1 game was a 3-0 Sept 21st....think about that. They play Chuck South - likely a loss - this weekend. They play Presby Nov 23rd, they should win that one...but that would be 2 months between D1 wins. You really think you beat a top 25 team?

Twentysix
November 12th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Have to agree with clenz, GW wasn't ever a top 25 team. Early on they were mistakenly overvalued... big time.

91Niner
November 12th, 2013, 12:07 PM

Not true at all. Tar Heels and Wolfpack, yes we are behind them and if you're talking bball then of course we're behind Duke as well. Outside of that (when considering all sports), we certainly have a greater following (fans buying tickets and watching on TV) in the greater Charlotte area than any of those others. None of those teams would draw 16,000+ to games against FCS and D2/D3 all season or would draw 6-7000 on average for bball over the last 20 years against the competition we get to play at home. No way, no how.

Apphole
November 12th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I would put App in the realm of ECU and far ahead of Wake, Duke and UNCC as far as visible fan support for football.

91Niner
November 12th, 2013, 12:28 PM

Nice try.

Some additional perspective: Charlotte won AT Presby 45-21, who only lost at Furman by 1. Furman beat App State and lost to Gardner-Webb. So, if G-W sucks, what does that say about Furman and App State?

clenz
November 12th, 2013, 12:31 PM
They aren't very good this year.

That's pretty damn clear

Furman is 5-5 and App is 2-8.

The entire SoCon is complete dog ****.

You're not actually proving a point.

Apphole
November 12th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Some additional perspective: Charlotte won AT Presby 45-21, who only lost at Furman by 1. Furman beat App State and lost to Gardner-Webb. So, if G-W sucks, what does that say about Furman and App State?

In 2007, App beat Michigan, who beat Florida, who narrowly lost to LSU by 4 points. App is pretty much the 2007 BCS National Champs. xlolx

WH49er
November 12th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I would put App in the realm of ECU and far ahead of Wake, Duke and UNCC as far as visible fan support for football.

I would love to see App's TV ratings again.

Apphole
November 12th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I would love to see App's TV ratings again.

Do you really think people landing on a basic cable channel out of coincidence or hoping to catch Moesha is some kind of indication of interest in UNCC football?? xlolx

I'd say having to beg students to pick up free tickets and barely filling half your tiny stadium in year one for the later season games is more telling.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BV1N6DdIIAAoaFy.jpg

WH49er
November 12th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Do you really think people landing on a basic cable channel out of coincidence or hoping to catch Moesha is some kind of indication of interest in UNCC football?? xlolx

I'd say having to beg students to pick up free tickets and barely filling half your tiny stadium in year one for the later season games is more telling.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BV1N6DdIIAAoaFy.jpg

Nice selective pick of the game when the students were on fall break. Can't lie about that. Spin it how you want but the TV ratings have now provided additional exposure for our program. Now let me find those photos of App's game against UTC the other weekend.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 12th, 2013, 01:26 PM
and you 49er fans wonder why App fans give you such a hard time, when you make crazy statements, saying that none of the ACC teams would draw more than 16,000 this year if they played a FCS team? Pretty confident that State drew over 60,000 against Richmond this year, and your also saying that the Tar Heels in basketball would not average 6000 fans, against UNCC completion? A school that, Im pretty sure is averaging over 20 thousand a game for the last 15 years, no matter who the completion is.

Apphole
November 12th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Nice selective pick of the game when the students were on fall break. Can't lie about that. Spin it how you want but the TV ratings have now provided additional exposure for our program. Now let me find those photos of App's game against UTC the other weekend.

I watched a quarter of the UNCC/Wesley game and the place couldn't have had more than 7k in attendance. Was that some kind of pre-veteran's day student holiday? xlolx

Apphole
November 12th, 2013, 01:29 PM
and you 49er fans wonder why App fans give you such a hard time, when you make crazy statements, saying that none of the ACC teams would draw more than 16,000 this year if they played a FCS team? Pretty confident that State drew over 60,000 against Richmond this year, and your also saying that the Tar Heels in basketball would not average 6000 fans, against UNCC completion? A school that, Im pretty sure is averaging over 20 thousand a game for the last 15 years, no matter who the completion is.

Agreed on all points but the last. The Dean Dome is empty when the Holes are having a losing season.

T-Dog
November 12th, 2013, 01:30 PM
And we're off!

http://www.hfmhealth.org/upload/images/Donations/Event%20Logos/Off%20to%20the%20races.JPG

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2013, 01:50 PM

That the transitive property does not work.

91Niner
November 12th, 2013, 02:00 PM

What an idiot you are!!! The discussion was about the "draw" of those schools in or around Charlotte since some moron claimed those schools (ECU, Wake, etc have a greater following IN CHARLOTTE).....not on their home field.....again, what an idiot.

91Niner
November 12th, 2013, 02:03 PM

When an idiot insinuates that a certain team must be so pathetic SOLELY because of who they lost 1 game too, it makes just as much sense to throw it back at 'em.

91Niner
November 12th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Agreed on all points but the last. The Dean Dome is empty when the Holes are having a losing season.

QUOTE=Apphole I watched a quarter of the UNCC/Wesley game and the place couldn't have had more than 7k in attendance. Was that some kind of pre-veteran's day student holiday?

Wow, you are such a poor liar. The only empty seats Saturday were about 50% in a couple corner sections and about 25% empty in one end section. The rest of the stadium was full. I know, I was there. that equals atleast 14,000. You're pathetic.

WH49er
November 12th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I watched a quarter of the UNCC/Wesley game and the place couldn't have had more than 7k in attendance. Was that some kind of pre-veteran's day student holiday? xlolx

Now I know you are lying. It may have not been 16K full as in was in previous game but there were definitely 13k-14K there.

WH49er
November 12th, 2013, 02:19 PM

I have to agree with you on this because hate when people try that with sports.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 12th, 2013, 02:26 PM
so you really honestly think, with probably a conservative 200,000 loyal State, UNC, Duke fans in the greater Charlotte area, that Carolina, or State couldn't find atleast 16,000 to show up for a football game in Charlotte no matter who they played.... really? Are you that frecking delusional, that you can honestly believe that UNCC, a first year program, that has DONE LITERALLY NOTHING, can compete with these teams in attendance even in Charlotte?

Apphole
November 12th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Now I know you are lying. It may have not been 16K full as in was in previous game but there were definitely 13k-14K there.

Maybe at kickoff. I turned it on after halftime and the place was plum empty.

If an inaugural season doesn't get the people to show up, what on earth will?

91Niner
November 12th, 2013, 03:11 PM
so you really honestly think, with probably a conservative 200,000 loyal State, UNC, Duke fans in the greater Charlotte area, that Carolina, or State couldn't find atleast 16,000 to show up for a football game in Charlotte no matter who they played.... really? Are you that frecking delusional, that you can honestly believe that UNCC, a first year program, that has DONE LITERALLY NOTHING, can compete with these teams in attendance even in Charlotte?

Good grief, you can't REALLY be this stupid. Can you? I POSTED that yes, I think State and Chapel Hill are ahead of us and could do that. If you read my previous posts (perhaps slower next time) I stated that the OTHER ones could not and AGAIN, we are talking about regular, everyday, "buy tickets support" (ie; not one game, but on a regular basis, year after year ) and when you understand that point-----no, I do not think the others could do that IN CHARLOTTE. If you do, you're in dream land.

91Niner
November 12th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Maybe at kickoff. I turned it on after halftime and the place was plum empty.

If an inaugural season doesn't get the people to show up, what on earth will?

Again, as long as you continue to post lies I will call you on them. BS on this. You're a liar! 99% of people stayed to the end. Again, I know this because I was there. Also, interesting to note that averaging OVER official capacity (averaging ~15,600 in a 15,300 seat stadium) for the season is "not showing up". Good to know.

Apphole
November 12th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Again, as long as you continue to post lies I will call you on them. BS on this. You're a liar! 99% of people stayed to the end. Again, I know this because I was there. Also, interesting to note that averaging OVER official capacity (averaging ~15,600 in a 15,300 seat stadium) for the season is "not showing up". Good to know.

I saw a ton if metal on the TV. Maybe it's a conspiracy and they just green screened it.

If what I saw was what was there, it might be a good thing. You wouldn't want a decent sized crowd seeing your squad lose to a glorified intermutal team after all. xlolx

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2013, 03:22 PM
When an idiot insinuates that a certain team must be so pathetic SOLELY because of who they lost 1 game too, it makes just as much sense to throw it back at 'em.

Cool. You asked a question, and I answered it. xthumbsupx

Just a word of advice: you may want to lay off on the name calling though. Oh, and I would definitely not take things on here so personally.

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I have to agree with you on this because hate when people try that with sports.

xnodx

I do want to say that I take none of this personally, I'm just messing with you guys. It's all in good fun. I live just outside of Charlotte and work uptown, so I'm around a lot of you guys daily.

Apphole
November 12th, 2013, 03:31 PM
xnodx
I live just outside of Charlotte and eat fast food all the time, so I'm around a lot of you guys daily.

FIFY

BisonFan02
November 12th, 2013, 03:38 PM
FIFY

Would have also accepted old episode of COPS filmed in Charlotte?

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 12th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I got to tell you 91niner, listening you get upset, pissed off, calling people names, starting to sound alot like our friend from Chatt, is he "passing the torch" to you? Are you about to become the "mad man" of the board? One more thing, the "other teams" that would average more than 16,000 every season game, in Charlotte, would be ECU and App, ECU might have the best, most rabid fans in NC, who will go anywhere to watch their teams, and our attendance the last 8 years speaks for itself, and our largest alumi base is in Charlotte, we would have no problem putting people in the stands.

Lehigh'98
November 12th, 2013, 04:22 PM
I've never seen a startup team take so much abuse for 1 Loss. UNCC has had a very successful startup season IMO.

clenz
November 12th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I've never seen a startup team take so much abuse for 1 Loss. UNCC has had a very successful startup season IMO.

No start up had lost to ad3

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

49RFootballNow
November 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM

UTSA lost to McMurray (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_UTSA_Roadrunners_football_team)

ODU lost to a non-scholarship FCS in their 2nd season (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Old_Dominion_Monarchs_football_team)

Losing to an FCS non-scholarship is not exactly losing to a DIII program but its pretty close. Since ODU is undoubtedly the best start-up program of the past decade a loss to that type of program didn't seem to slow them down much.

UTSA, ODU, USA, Lamar, and especially Georgia State; none of these programs played anywhere close to 4 ranked FCS programs their very first year or second. We're a freshman heavy squad with only 6 college experienced players starting. It was a bad loss but its not going to matter long term.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2013, 05:49 PM

LOL...maybe officially no scholarships but academic aid??? Financial need?

clenz
November 12th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Since when is 5-5 "not too bad".

Maybe it's because I'm a fan of programs that don't suck ****, but 5-5 is never acceptable. UNI fans are pissed that the team is 5-5 this year. We understand the circumstances that lead to it, but livid that 5-5 is the record

49RFootballNow
November 12th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Since when is 5-5 "not too bad".

Maybe it's because I'm a fan of programs that don't suck ****, but 5-5 is never acceptable. UNI fans are pissed that the team is 5-5 this year. We understand the circumstances that lead to it, but livid that 5-5 is the record

It's UTSA's first year in FBS. They shouldn't be anywhere near .500. They only need to win one more game and they go to their first bowl game. That's a pretty successful FBS debut if they can finish well.

91Niner
November 12th, 2013, 05:58 PM
I got to tell you 91niner, listening you get upset, pissed off, calling people names, starting to sound alot like our friend from Chatt, is he "passing the torch" to you? Are you about to become the "mad man" of the board? One more thing, the "other teams" that would average more than 16,000 every season game, in Charlotte, would be ECU and App, ECU might have the best, most rabid fans in NC, who will go anywhere to watch their teams, and our attendance the last 8 years speaks for itself, and our largest alumi base is in Charlotte, we would have no problem putting people in the stands.

"Mad".....haha.....you're dreaming. You are the one who jumped in like a crazy person (Calling me delusional, etc), not even understanding what I had posted. I just called you on it. Sorry, if you don't like being corrected. BTW, do "rabid" fan bases only support one sport? Just curious.

91Niner
November 12th, 2013, 05:59 PM

Wrong.....

dystopiamembrane
November 12th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Wesley ain't no chumps. I'm not surprised by the result.

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Mercer is 9-1.

Really? They do? Tell me more about that, please. I know they WILL beginning in 2013-2014, but I'd really like to hear about the DO part. I keep reading this on many message boards, especially those of the teams that Mercer has beaten, but no one has elaborated on the details. As you have over 3,000 posts, you must have a tremendous amount of knowledge to share. Enlighten me please.

citdog
November 13th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Really? They do? Tell me more about that, please. I know they WILL beginning in 2013-2014, but I'd really like to hear about the DO part. I keep reading this on many message boards, especially those of the teams that Mercer has beaten, but no one has elaborated on the details. As you have over 3,000 posts, you must have a tremendous amount of knowledge to share. Enlighten me please.

http://thebusysignal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gauntlet1.jpg

walliver
November 13th, 2013, 08:09 AM

Do you really think every player on the field is paying full sticker price tuition for the privilege of playing football? There are different types of financial aid that can be provided that don't count as athletic scholarships.

At Mercer University, 72.6 percent of full-time undergraduates receive some kind of need-based financial aid and the average need-based scholarship or grant award is $23,528.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/mercer-university-1580

Those numbers are very similar to Mercer's peers. Next year, a lot of those grants will be reclassified as athletic scholarships.

There are a number of SoCon schools that are not "fully funded" that somehow seem to end up with 63 equivalencies on the team.

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2013, 10:09 AM
All well & good. That seems, to me, to be quite different from the assertion / implication / aspersion you made in your original comment.

"UNCC gives athletic scholarships, Mercer doesn't (even though they do)"

None of the current Mercer football players is receiving any financial aid for / from Football. They have the same opportunities for financial aid, grants, and loans that any other Mercer applicant / student had / has. A VERY limited number of current players MAY receive additional Athletic financial aid for 2013 - 2014 and/or have some of their current aid 'converted' to Athletic aid, but they certainly DO NOT give athletic scholarships for football at this time.

To address another 'aspersion' I am frequently seeing cast at Mercer Football on various message boards regarding "promises" of future scholarships. I am very familiar with an FBS transfer to Mercer who has started every game for them this year & received multiple Player of the Week awards. That player has never been 'promised' anything beyond the non-athletic financial aid available to all. AFTER Mercer announced the move to scholarship football, he, along with ALL of the current players were 'promised' the opportunity to compete for the VERY limited amount of Athletic financial aid that would be awarded to current players for 2013-2014. As I am not quite as familiar with the other 100+ current players, I can not state with 100% certainty that no 'promises' have been made to other current players who joined the program PRIOR to Mercer's announcement. It would certainly surprise me if there were.

clenz
November 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Don't kid yourself, the kids at Mercer are seeing some pretty good GIA even if it doesn't say football.

I played d3, I'm fully aware of how the "we didn't give "scholarships"to our athletes" thing works

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Not kidding myself or anyone else. I'm FULLY aware of the complete details of the Financial situation of the Mercer player I mentioned above.

Mercer U. is well-funded & has a great team in their Financial Aid office who has worked very hard to put together every resource they can find for the current players, but I'm stating with 1st hand knowledge, those resources & packages are / were available to non-student-athletes.

Simply saying that no 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink; say no more' games have been played at Mercer to recruit their current players as I keep seeing posters in various places say or imply. Many other factors have led to the success they've had (so far) this season, but that's just not one of them.

ThompsonThe
November 13th, 2013, 03:03 PM
With one of the best football coaches around, Bobby Lamb, former Furman football coach, Mercer is going to attract good players. Good players and good coaching is something that many start up programs do not have. They will be a force.

UNCC will be fine. Crap happens sometimes and you lose. Doesn't matter if it is a D-3 football program. Any team can have an off day, while the other team has a really good game. Besides it's good to find out that you are not going to be a world beater without working really hard to get there. A loss like this may inspire the people they have in place to work even harder at getting the ship on the right course. Am sure they will.

App State red shirted and held back 25 incoming recruits so that they can build up for the FBS next year.
Basically out of the best recruiting class in the FCS App only played one or two freshman recruits. Only a position or two where they had no choice. It was a painful decision they made this past summer, but one they thought necessary in order to compete adequately well next year in FBS since the 2013 recruiting period had already ended when we took the Sun Belt invitation. So basically App State and GaSo both lost their senior classes, both of which had multiple players now playing in the NFL, and have no freshman class playing this year. Normally a school would take an extra year to recruit, like UNCC is doing, but the Sun Belt demanded it be done that way in order to have enough teams for a conference championship game. So you lose your senior class and have no freshmen. If any school on this board thinks they can do really well with playing with half their team, good for you.

blukeys
November 13th, 2013, 08:12 PM

Colgate had 55 equivalencies in 2003. You need to quit drinking the Patriot League Kool Aid.

Nugget49er
November 13th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Charlotte has one game left and has already won four more games than last year. Seven of our 10 games have been televised in a top 25 TV market. Our RS Freshman QB is on the Jerry Rice watch list. Our average attendance exceeds our stadium capacity. Exactly what does a brand new team have to do to impress some of you guys?

citdog
November 13th, 2013, 09:07 PM
With one of the best football coaches around, Bobby Lamb, former Furman football coach, Mercer is going to attract good players. Good players and good coaching is something that many start up programs do not have. They will be a force.

UNCC will be fine. Crap happens sometimes and you lose. Doesn't matter if it is a D-3 football program. Any team can have an off day, while the other team has a really good game. Besides it's good to find out that you are not going to be a world beater without working really hard to get there. A loss like this may inspire the people they have in place to work even harder at getting the ship on the right course. Am sure they will.

App State red shirted and held back 25 incoming recruits so that they can build up for the FBS next year.
Basically out of the best recruiting class in the FCS App only played one or two freshman recruits. Only a position or two where they had no choice. It was a painful decision they made this past summer, but one they thought necessary in order to compete adequately well next year in FBS since the 2013 recruiting period had already ended when we took the Sun Belt invitation. So basically App State and GaSo both lost their senior classes, both of which had multiple players now playing in the NFL, and have no freshman class playing this year. Normally a school would take an extra year to recruit, like UNCC is doing, but the Sun Belt demanded it be done that way in order to have enough teams for a conference championship game. So you lose your senior class and have no freshmen. If any school on this board thinks they can do really well with playing with half their team, good for you.

WOW it's like you think the more times you say it the more true and less vagina like it will become.

91Niner
November 17th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Have to agree with clenz, GW wasn't ever a top 25 team. Early on they were mistakenly overvalued... big time.

Brilliant.....hahaha.....Tell that to CSU.xlolx

clenz
November 17th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Still aren't a top 25 team...just watch the polls

91Niner
November 17th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Still aren't a top 25 team...just watch the polls

They were when Charlotte beat 'em. Its in the record books. :) and the point of this post was to remind you how y'all basically said G-W sucked. Ask CSU if they suck?

clenz
November 17th, 2013, 04:07 PM
They were when Charlotte beat 'em. Its in the record books. :)
If that's the case Iowa State was undefeted when UNI beat them....

UNI beat an undefeated FBS/Big 12 school!

49RFootballNow
November 17th, 2013, 04:54 PM
If that's the case Iowa State was undefeted when UNI beat them....

UNI beat an undefeated FBS/Big 12 school!

Congratulations!

Apphole
November 17th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Wesley College. xlolx

91Niner
November 18th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Wesley College. xlolx

App State. :)

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2013, 12:15 PM
App State is HOT HOT HOT. :)

Indeed. xnodx

Apphole
November 18th, 2013, 12:21 PM
D3>Extra C

91Niner
November 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM
D3>Extra C

Considering how App has looked this season, you're probably lucky you didn't face Wesley.