PDA

View Full Version : Lambert Cup Voting for 11/4

JoltinJoe
November 5th, 2013, 10:01 AM
The Lambert Cup is awarded to the best FCS team in the Northeast. Results from the 11/4 voting below.

http://www.ecacsports.com/lambert/2013-14_Releases/week_4_poll (http://www.ecacsports.com/lambert/2013-14_Releases/week_4_poll)

Fordham remained undefeated with a 32-30 win over Holy Cross to stay on top of the Football Championship Subdivision Poll. University of Maine knocked off Stony Brook University 19-14 to take hold of the number two spot, while University of Delaware jumped from sixth to third with a 32-31 victory against Towson University. Towson (8-2) is now fourth and Princeton University (6-1) holds on to fifth.

Team
Record

1. Fordham
9-0

2. Maine
8-1

3. Delaware
7-2

4. Towson
8-2

5. Princeton
6-1

6. William & Mary
6-3

7. James Madison
6-3

8. Harvard
6-1

9. Lehigh
6-2

Winning the Lambert Cup would be a great accomplishment for the Rams. Would love to win out and take home a Lambert award for the first time since 1941. The Rams won the Lambert Trophy (which today is awarded to the No. 1 Division I (BCS) team in the East) in 1941. Thereafter, football operations were suspended during World War II. When football returned after the war, it was intentionally de-emphasized. It has been a long climb back for Fordham and winning the Cup would really say something about the program's renaissance.

RichH2
November 5th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Back in my day, the Cup was our championship. Times change ,it is still noteworthy but no longer has the import it had back in the 50s and 60s. A shame in a way

superman7515
November 5th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Delaware is ranked third but should not even be eligible this year. Teams from the states of Delaware, Maryland, DC, Virginia, and West Virginia are only eligible if they play at least 1/2 of their schedule against teams from Pennsylvania, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Delaware only plays 5 eligible opponents out of 12 games (Wagner, Maine, Albany, Rhode Island, and Villanova). It's getting harder and harder for us to be eligible with UMass, Northeastern, and Hofstra gone, which sucks because Delaware has the most FCS Lambert Cups and, 30+ years after leaving, still has the record for most D2 Lambert Cups.

melloware13
November 5th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Maybe they have the CAA eligible because over 50% of the conference is in the Northeast, and next year would still count (unless one of the north teams leaves, or we add an extra south school). I think the NEC and Patriot are the only other DI conferences that fully count by that.

Sader87
November 5th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Buffalo is in 1st for the Lambert Trophy unbelievably.

What exactly is the ECAC's function today? I know there's a D1 hockey league. In the 70's it was very big in men's hoops setting up the different playoff tournaments that put teams in the NCAAs.

Is there an organization similar to it elsewhere in the country?

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Just living in the past here, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around a Lambert Cup that includes James Madison, and a Lambert Cup that doesn't include Delaware. Like many other here, I'd really like to see a return to the prominence of the Lambert. Screw Frisco; let's have an FCS Lambert Cup Championship at Yankee Stadium or the Yale Bowl or Franklin Field. Maine/Fordham/Princeton/Delaware - Pick two.

Does Towson really count?

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 5th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Just living in the past here, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around a Lambert Cup that includes James Madison, and a Lambert Cup that doesn't include Delaware. Like many other here, I'd really like to see a return to the prominence of the Lambert. Screw Frisco; let's have an FCS Lambert Cup Championship at Yankee Stadium or the Yale Bowl or Franklin Field. Maine/Fordham/Princeton/Delaware - Pick two.

Wouldn't that piss citdog off

Bogus Megapardus
November 5th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Wouldn't that piss citdog off

It's Lambert Cup - Citdog would NOT be invited. xnonox

GannonFan
November 5th, 2013, 12:14 PM
All depends on where the teams end up in the playoffs. Typically, the Lambert Cup has gone to the last team standing in the playoffs. Not sure the last time Fordham or Maine won it so either one would be a little historic.

ngineer
November 5th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Like next year? (;-)

Bill
November 5th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Buffalo is in 1st for the Lambert Trophy unbelievably.

What exactly is the ECAC's function today? I know there's a D1 hockey league.

Sader, the ECAC is heavily involved with championship opportunities at the DIII level. You can think of it like the "NIT" of DIII...if you don't make the NCAA playoffs, most sports have an alternative ECAC playoff option...

citdog
November 5th, 2013, 12:27 PM
William and Mary and James Madison are located in the Confederate States of America. NOT the northeastern yankee sewer scum States.

ccd494
November 5th, 2013, 12:32 PM
William and Mary and James Madison are located in the Confederate States of America. NOT the northeastern yankee sewer scum States.

Doesn't matter, Miami has won it four times.

I'd think you would celebrate these Southern institutions' opportunity to win away a Yankee trophy.

Bill
November 5th, 2013, 12:33 PM
http://youtu.be/ybbwaL22j0o?t=21s

For Citdog!

JoltinJoe
November 5th, 2013, 03:33 PM
All depends on where the teams end up in the playoffs. Typically, the Lambert Cup has gone to the last team standing in the playoffs. Not sure the last time Fordham or Maine won it so either one would be a little historic.

Fordham has never won a Lambert Cup. It last won the Lambert Trophy in 1941, after a win in the Sugar Bowl.

So it would be 72 years between winning any Lambert award if the Rams win the Cup this year.

Brad82
November 5th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Good post. The commissioner of the ECAC used to be asst. AD at Rhody-Dr. Kevin McGinness.
They sponsor a lot of championships. Most of their platform is hockey,D-II and III sports. A lot of those in the NE.
The Lambert cup/ECAC team of year is especially something to be proud of. Means you are best team amongst CAA,PL,Ivy,NE conference and whoever else.
Quite an accomplishment. Would love to see Fordham and Maine meet in playoffs. Fordham,Harvard,Maine and Sacred Heart all jump out at me in FCS east FB. Really been a good regular season for these teams.