PDA

View Full Version : Could it get any WORSE for N. Colorado???

Freightliner
October 6th, 2006, 11:42 PM
First the backup punter stabs the starting punter.....

Now the DL coach resigns because he held an unofficial practice in March...

Courtesy CNNSI.com

GREELEY, Colo. (AP) -- Northern Colorado defensive line coach Craig Robinson resigned amid revelations that the team held at least one practice before official spring drills started March 25, a secondary violation of NCAA rules that'll be self reported, the school said.

Coach Scott Downing said Robinson resigned Thursday night

READ MORE (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/10/06/bc.fbc.n.colorado.ncaa.ap/index.html)

ncbears
October 6th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Damn, I was hoping no one else would notice this. I am seriously ready to give up hope for our program. I've been a long, long time fan of UNC but if we're cheating and violating rules, I won't and can't stand for that. I'll refuse to go to another event for UNC. I just won't. Saturdays game might be the last football game I'll go to for a very long time. Very ashamed to be a UNC alumnus right now.

slycat
October 7th, 2006, 01:30 AM
they beat us...............in san marcos..........: smh :

Tod
October 7th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Damn, I was hoping no one else would notice this. I am seriously ready to give up hope for our program. I've been a long, long time fan of UNC but if we're cheating and violating rules, I won't and can't stand for that. I'll refuse to go to another event for UNC. I just won't. Saturdays game might be the last football game I'll go to for a very long time. Very ashamed to be a UNC alumnus right now.

Hey, now. Not a great thing, but certainly not a major deal, here. I don't blame you a bit for being upset about it, but don't lose your focus. Worse things have happened. :thumbsup:

RobsPics
October 7th, 2006, 07:23 AM
seems like a minor thing to me

ncbears
October 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM
But it's not a minor thing. We've got to follow rules just like everyone else and by breaking rules, the coaches have disgraced this University. Rules must be followed.

VictorG
October 7th, 2006, 10:29 AM
But it's not a minor thing. We've got to follow rules just like everyone else and by breaking rules, the coaches have disgraced this University. Rules must be followed.

MSU (Montana State) did it a couple of years ago and besides becoming smack for bulletin boards, it really wasn't a big deal, especially since it was self reported. Yes you have to follow the rules but people will make mistakes. This is about as minor as they come and I for one believe it was not intentional.

Hang in there. It will get better!

DaGriz
October 7th, 2006, 10:31 AM

I would imagine your university isn't the only one that has broken a rule. I say support the players not the coaches. Send a letter to the president explaining your displeasure with how the football team is being run.

AZGrizFan
October 7th, 2006, 10:34 AM

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

SO ILLmatic
October 7th, 2006, 10:35 AM
There are numerous other violations the coaches could have committed to bring disgrace to Northern Colorado. Actions such as giving money to recruits, throwing games on purpose, betting on their games, setting up opportunties where the female coeds can have "relations" with visiting high school recruits (*COUGH colorado COUGH*),etc....

The important thing is that the coaches have admitted to their mistakes and took appropriate procedures to punish themselves. Instead of allowing the NCAA to find out themselves and be in charge of punishment at a later date. I mean I can see where they would want to have extra practices, especially since this is their first season in the Big Sky. The coaches, players, fans, and university should look past this little mistake and continue their commitment to the future & winning.

Hansel
October 7th, 2006, 10:38 AM
not the end of the world- but UNC needs to get their crap together sooner rather than later

AppGuy04
October 7th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Yes, they could lose the rest of their games and the whole staff gets fired

Hansel
October 7th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Yes, they could lose the rest of their games and the whole staff gets fired
which is entirely possible

10/7/2006 Idaho State
10/14/2006 Eastern Washington
10/28/2006 Sacramento State
11/4/2006 Montana State
11/11/2006 Montana
11/18/2006 Northern Arizona

:eek:

ncbears
October 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I would imagine your university isn't the only one that has broken a rule. I say support the players not the coaches. Send a letter to the president explaining your displeasure with how the football team is being run.

To me the players are as guilty as the coaches. They know the rules too.

DaGriz
October 7th, 2006, 12:11 PM
To me the players are as guilty as the coaches. They know the rules too.

What do you do when your coach tells you to practice and you know it's against the rules? Break out the rule book on him and look like you don't want to go the extra mile to win? I don't know enough details so maybe you're right, I just have a hard time blaming the players on that one.

ncbears
October 7th, 2006, 12:15 PM
which is entirely possible

10/7/2006 Idaho State
10/14/2006 Eastern Washington
10/28/2006 Sacramento State
11/4/2006 Montana State
11/11/2006 Montana
11/18/2006 Northern Arizona

:eek:

They won't get fired. This is almost an entirly new coaching staff. Any team, at any level is going to struggle their first year of the new staff. I don't care if it's at d2, 1AA, 1A or even the pros, it takes some time. Give it a couple years and things will be better for us (as long as we stop cheating).

AggiePride
October 7th, 2006, 12:15 PM
What do you do when your coach tells you to practice and you know it's against the rules? Break out the rule book on him and look like you don't want to go the extra mile to win? I don't know enough details so maybe you're right, I just have a hard time blaming the players on that one.

Exactly, and there needs to be more details before passing judgement.

Many things can be considered "practice". So the line could have been blurred to start with.

I still have much respect for UNC.

ncbears
October 7th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Bascially what it boils down to is a he said/he said sort of thing. According to our defensive line coach (Craig Robinson) was to resign or be fired for holding practices in the off season. He was uneasy about the entire thing but was threatened by our defensive coordinator that if he said anything he would be fired. Cory Sleeth, who was kicked off the team for holding a knife against a teammate during a party said their were six practices held where players worked on stances, technique and even ran some plays. Head coach Scott Downing says he had no idea about the practices until later and says their was only one practice, not six. He also mentioned Robinson approached him in his office and said he was resigning for personal reasons. Downing shook his hand when he left and wished him luck.
I don't believe for a second that Downing didn't know about the practices. I think more coaches that did for sure know about it will face sanctions that we've imposed.

GreenDay17
October 7th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Just consider yourselves to be more like EWU than the rest of the conference, then you'll be following the rules like at least one other team in the BSC.:flagged:

JALMOND
October 7th, 2006, 02:17 PM

In looking at this further, I see it as a minor infraction. Your administration did well in taking care of it internally, instead of waiting for a formal investigation. The deed was done and taken care of. Don't fall off the bandwagon.

From the looks of things, I'd say Greeley has learned from the actions at Boulder down the road.

carney2
October 7th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Could it get any WORSE for N. Colorado???

They could be in the Patriot League.

Hansel
October 7th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Could it get any WORSE for N. Colorado???

They could be in the Patriot League.
i'm not sure they would do much better there

UNC has went from a perennial DII title contender to IAA bottom feeder in a couple of years- I think they got worse by going IAA :eek:

ravens
October 7th, 2006, 07:45 PM
i'm not sure they would do much better there

UNC has went from a perennial DII title contender to IAA bottom feeder in a couple of years- I think they got worse by going IAA :eek:

Growing pains....of course they have stabbing pains to contend with also:p

Hansel
October 7th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Growing pains....of course they have stabbing pains to contend with also:p
OH SNAP! :p

of the recent teams to be making the transition (UNC, UCD, SDSU, and NDSU) UNC seems to be having the most problems