PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2013, 09:39 AM
My take...This bracket reflects if the season ended today...next week I might switch to a different format with how I predict teams will finish.

William and Mary at Chattanooga vs 1. NDSU
Duquesne at Towson vs 8. YSU
Lafayette at Delaware vs 5. Fordham
NAU at McNeese vs 4. EWU

SIU at Montana State vs 2. EIU
San Deigo at Montana vs 6. SHSU
Wofford at Coastal Carolina vs 7. SELA
Samford at Bethune-Cookman vs 3. Maine

Bubble(in no order): EKU, Tenn State, SC State, SDSU, JMU, SUU, UNH, UT Martin, Ill State, Lehigh

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2013, 09:39 AM
College Sports Madness offers their take...

San Deigo at Montana State vs 1. NDSU
TSU at McNeese State vs 8. Fordham
Chatty at Bethune-Cookman vs 5. SELA
EKU at Delaware vs 4. CCU

SDSU at NAU vs 3. EWU
Colgate at YSU vs 6. Maine
SIU at Montana vs 7. SHSU
Duquesne at Towson vs 2. EIU

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/bracketology

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2013, 09:40 AM
How the Sports Network predicts the field will shake out..

The Sports Network...

San Deigo at Montana vs 1. NDSU
SELA at Samford vs 8. Towson
EKU at NAU vs 5. SHSU
Lehigh at YSU vs 4. Maine

Chattanooga at McNeese State vs 3. EWU
Duquesne at Delaware vs 6. Fordham
Wofford at Bethune-Cookman vs 7. Coastal Carolina

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

skinny_uncle
November 3rd, 2013, 09:43 AM
Doesn't look like SIU is getting any bus trip in the opening round.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2013, 09:48 AM
IF Lehigh can win out they could be in a good spot with 9 D1 wins. I see a lot of teams that will struggle to get 8 in these projections.

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2013, 09:52 AM
IF Lehigh can win out they could be in a good spot with 9 D1 wins. I see a lot of teams that will struggle to get 8 in these projections.

If Lehigh wins out aren't they automatically in?

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
Last teams in: Southern Illinois, Montana, Eastern Kentucky, Chattnooga
Last teams out: Tennessee State, Jacksonville State, South Carolina State, Liberty.

1. North Dakota State

Montana State
Southeastern Louisiana

Youngstown State
McNeese State

8. Towson

4. Eastern Washington
Montana
San Diego

Northern Arizona
Eastern Kentucky

5. Sam Houston State

3. Maine
Southern Illinois
Chattanooga

Delaware
Central Connecticut State

6. Fordham

7. Coastal Carolina
Bethune Cookman
Samford

William & Mary
Lehigh
2. Eastern Illinois

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2013, 10:19 AM
If Lehigh wins out aren't they automatically in?

They would be. I think they would have a reasonable shot at a home game. 9-2 will look better than 10-1 last year imo. The Bucknell loss will be far enough in the review mirror.

With all this said, I wouldn't put money on it happening. Lafayette at 5-6 will make for an AGS fiesta....

NoDak 4 Ever
November 3rd, 2013, 10:36 AM
My take...This will probably the last time I do this as if the season ended today.

NAU at McNeese vs 4. EWU

Bubble(in no order): EKU, Tenn State, SC State, SDSU, JMU, SUU, UNH, UT Martin, Ill State, Lehigh

I think a chance at Chatty in the Fargodome is just wishful thinking.

FanofFCS
November 3rd, 2013, 10:42 AM
Really like the three perspectives in a row. Thanks.

kalm
November 3rd, 2013, 10:43 AM
They would be. I think they would have a reasonable shot at a home game. 9-2 will look better than 10-1 last year imo. The Bucknell loss will be far enough in the review mirror.

It's not just the Bucknell loss it's that unless UNH wins out, you'll have no quality wins (or better quality wins) compared to those power conference teams with worse records you were mentioning.

EG: An 8-4 SUU would have a much better resume.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2013, 11:07 AM
It's not just the Bucknell loss it's that unless UNH wins out, you'll have no quality wins (or better quality wins) compared to those power conference teams with worse records you were mentioning.

EG: An 8-4 SUU would have a much better resume.

It's irrelevant because a 9-2 Lehigh wins the automatic bid in their conference in all scenarios.

hebmskebm
November 3rd, 2013, 11:11 AM
For all the talk of how down the SoCon is this year, a lot of people have them getting 3 teams into the field.

kalm
November 3rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
It's irrelevant because a 9-2 Lehigh wins the automatic bid in their conference in all scenarios.

I know. I was referring to whether or not they should be seeded at 9-2.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
I know. I was referring to whether or not they should be seeded at 9-2.

They're not getting a seed. A first round home game still seems realistic IF they win out. Big if...

JSUBison
November 3rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
So these projections are all for if the season ended today. Charleston Southern isn't a bubble team for anyone? I know they have a weak resume, but they still should be in the conversation. If nothing else just to say they have a long shot to make it. I still think if CSU can somehow win the autobid, a 10-2 Coastal Carolina would still make the playoffs. I don't think CSU will win against Coastal, but it's still possible the Big South could steal another bid like the Patriot.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2013, 11:39 AM
They're not getting a seed. A first round home game still seems realistic IF they win out. Big if...

Can they outbid William & Mary? That's who I have them playing in the first round.

Cocky
November 3rd, 2013, 12:00 PM
Have Samford and UTC played? Have UTC and Wofford played?

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2013, 12:13 PM

I think it is UTC and Wofford this week and then UTC and Samford next week.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2013, 12:22 PM

Yeah I don't think it's very likely that all three of those teams get in. If Chatty loses to Wofford, they then have to go on the road to Sam and Alabama. If Wofford loses to Chatty, they have to win out just to get to 7 wins in a season where there will be a fair amount of deserving 8 win teams. It'll be a tough haul for any one of those teams to get to the right win total.

GoCats23
November 3rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
How the Sports Network predicts the field will shake out..

The Sports Network...

San Deigo at Montana vs 1. NDSU
SELA at Samford vs 8. Towson
EKU at NAU vs 5. SHSU
Lehigh at YSU vs 4. Maine

Chattanooga at McNeese State vs 3. EWU
Duquesne at Delaware vs 6. Fordham
Wofford at Bethune-Cookman vs 7. Coastal Carolina

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

Last weeks bracket prediction is still showing up for me.

93henfan
November 3rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Man, as a Delaware fan, I'm loving every scenario listed. Tune up against an easy opponent at home in the opener, then make either a short trip up to Fordham or a nice trip down to Myrtle Beach to take on Fordham or CCU in very winnable round of 16 games. Maybe we'll win out and pick up a seed. There's been a preseason lingering poll bias against us all year, but I think we've opened some eyes now. Quarterfinals here we come.

Had a fun time in Towson last night. Great, great win for the Hens.

WileECoyote06
November 3rd, 2013, 12:54 PM
For all the talk of how down the SoCon is this year, a lot of people have them getting 3 teams into the field.

Especially since the Big South went 5 - 2 vs the SoCon this year. It'd be hard to justify leaving out an 11-2 Chuck South (with 9 DI wins) in favor of the third SoCon team. Furman is still in position to play a major spoiler as well.

My take on it:

Sacred Heart @ Lehigh to #1 NDSU
Chattanooga @ E. Kentucky to #8 SE Louisiana
Youngstown St @McNeese State to #5 Fordham
San Diego @ No. Arizona to #4 Eastern Washington

Towson @Bethune-Cookman to #6 Coastal Carolina
Charleston Southern @William & Mary to #3 Maine
SIU @ Montana State to #7 Sam Houston State
Samford @Montana to #2 Eastern Illinois

MVFC (3); SoCon (2); Big Sky (3); CAA (3); Big South (2); Southland (3); OVC (3); Patriot (2); MEAC, Pioneer, NEC (1)

blackbeard
November 3rd, 2013, 01:23 PM
Especially since the Big South went 5 - 2 vs the SoCon this year. It'd be hard to justify leaving out an 11-2 Chuck South (with 9 DI wins) in favor of the third SoCon team. Furman is still in position to play a major spoiler as well.

My take on it:

MVFC (3); SoCon (2); Big Sky (3); CAA (3); Big South (2); Southland (3); OVC (3); Patriot (2); MEAC, Pioneer, NEC (1)

Only person so far to look at the remaining NEC schedule and not pick based on current standings

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2013, 01:40 PM
Doesn't look like SIU is getting any bus trip in the opening round.If UT Martin and SIU make it in I think it's very likely they're matched up in the 1st round. Only 125 miles from Martin to Carbondale.

DoubleE
November 3rd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Is 10-2 good enough for YSU to get seeded or do they need to go 11-1 ?

Twentysix
November 3rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Is 10-2 good enough for YSU to get seeded or do they need to go 11-1 ?\

11-1, no really really great wins on the schedule. Probably 10-2 if that had included beating ndsu.

penguinpower
November 3rd, 2013, 02:59 PM
\

11-1, no really really great wins on the schedule. Probably 10-2 if that had included beating ndsu.

How does SIU have great wins and YSU does not?

JMUNJ08
November 3rd, 2013, 03:21 PM

Looking at the current records, there is no difference. At the time of the W's, it made sense but people need to rethink.

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2013, 03:25 PM

I'm not sure either team has great wins...

penguinpower
November 3rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Looking at the current records, there is no difference. At the time of the W's, it made sense but people need to rethink.

10-4 I'm on board with that.

Engineer86
November 3rd, 2013, 03:58 PM

And an 8-3 Lehigh will enjoy Thanksgiving

Engineer86
November 3rd, 2013, 04:00 PM

Likely will decide which of these three do not get in

Walkon79
November 3rd, 2013, 04:15 PM

My take on it:

Chattanooga @ E. Kentucky to #8 SE Louisiana
Youngstown St @McNeese State to #5 Fordham
San Diego @ No. Arizona to #4 Eastern Washington

Towson @Bethune-Cookman to #6 Coastal Carolina
Charleston Southern @William & Mary to #3 Maine
SIU @ Montana State to #7 Sam Houston State
Samford @Montana to #2 Eastern Illinois

Looks like you have 4 big sky?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

State Line Liquors
November 3rd, 2013, 04:40 PM
Man, as a Delaware fan, I'm loving every scenario listed. Tune up against an easy opponent at home in the opener, then make either a short trip up to Fordham or a nice trip down to Myrtle Beach to take on Fordham or CCU in very winnable round of 16 games. Maybe we'll win out and pick up a seed. There's been a preseason lingering poll bias against us all year, but I think we've opened some eyes now. Quarterfinals here we come.

Had a fun time in Towson last night. Great, great win for the Hens.

Agreed with enjoying the projections.

After last night, there's no doubt that an 8 win Hen team won't be in the playoffs, so anybody that doesn't have us in their projections with essentially three home games remaining and 7 D1 wins already in the bank, really doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

Fear the Bird
November 3rd, 2013, 04:50 PM
Agreed with enjoying the projections.

After last night, there's no doubt that an 8 win Hen team won't be in the playoffs, so anybody that doesn't have us in their projections with essentially three home games remaining and 7 D1 wins already in the bank, really doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

Projections do look juicy but let's just worry about beating W&M first. Amazing comeback last night but they were 11 minutes away from an unlikely 2 out of 3 wins down the stretch. I hope they keep this run going bc it's showing up nicely if it does!

State Line Liquors
November 3rd, 2013, 06:37 PM
Projections do look juicy but let's just worry about beating W&M first. Amazing comeback last night but they were 11 minutes away from an unlikely 2 out of 3 wins down the stretch. I hope they keep this run going bc it's showing up nicely if it does!

The Blue Hen football team needs to take care of their business, and W&M has nothing but the highest respect from me, but it's time for the Blue Hen fan base to quit slow playing our hand. And I strongly disagree about our final 3 games being an 'unlikely 2 out of 3 wins', even before the Towson win. Despite being beaten badly by a very solid Maine team and a Navy team that took Notre Dame to the wire yesterday, we've won 7 of the 9 opponents we've played and all of them were Division 1 wins. Our losses though lopsided are to quality opponents.

Quite frankly, our resume with 7 D1 wins is as deserving of respect as anyone other than a very small handful of teams in FCS. Now that we're in the final quarter of our schedule, it is an appropriate time to start looking around and acknowledging the fact that we're 7-2 with a very solid shot of ending up as a 9 or 10 win team. Could things blow up? Sure, I suppose, but it's just as likely or less likely that it happens to nearly anyone else in the FCS mix down this final stretch.

And we are a dead mortal lock for the playoffs if we get 8 wins courtesy that victory last night.

WileECoyote06
November 3rd, 2013, 06:53 PM
Looks like you have 4 big sky?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My bad. Good catch.

CCU_Fan
November 3rd, 2013, 08:08 PM
My take...This bracket reflects if the season ended today...next week I might switch to a different format with how I predict teams will finish.

NAU at McNeese vs 4. EWU

Coastal Carolina with 11 wins and 1 lone loss at South Carolina in the final week. (Upset Alert xsmiley_wix) Do you still have them without a bye?

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2013, 08:11 PM

Wofford (4-1) at Chattanooga (5-1) this Saturday

and don't forget Furman, they are still in the conference title hunt too...

Samford (4-1) at Furman (3-2) also this Saturday.

And then next weekend...

Chattanooga at Samford

And to finish the season...

Wofford at Furman

skinny_uncle
November 3rd, 2013, 08:15 PM
If UT Martin and SIU make it in I think it's very likely they're matched up in the 1st round. Only 125 miles from Martin to Carbondale.

Most OVC teams would qualify as a bus trip to Carbondale. If the OVC has a second team in, I figure that is their most likely opponent in the opening round followed by a trip to EIU in the second round. At least it makes more sense than all these Montana projections I have been seeing.

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2013, 08:22 PM
Coastal Carolina with 11 wins and 1 lone loss at South Carolina in the final week. (Upset Alert xsmiley_wix) Do you still have them without a bye?

I think CCU will get a 7 or 8 seed as long as they keep on winning. Some of these seeded teams have some very tough games.

CCU_Fan
November 3rd, 2013, 08:58 PM
I think CCU will get a 7 or 8 seed as long as they keep on winning. Some of these seeded teams have some very tough games.

Crazy if we don't....still a little under seeded in my opinion. xsmiley_wix

jmrepak
November 3rd, 2013, 09:16 PM
I'm expecting more of a 3-6 seed with an 11-1 record. However, that's also based on us playing SCar tighter than people expect. I think if we are completely blown out the day before the field is set we will be a 7, 8 or in the first 2 teams that are unseeded.

dewey
November 3rd, 2013, 10:13 PM
For those of you not familiar with the NDSU beat writers they do as good of a job covering FCS, and of course NDSU, as any beat writer out there. Dom Izzo and Jeff Kolpack nailed all 20 teams last year and they have a video blog about this years playoff teams. It is a good video to watch as Dom goes through who he thinks the locks are and who he thinks the at large teams are.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

Dewey

Grizzlies82
November 3rd, 2013, 11:12 PM
For those of you not familiar with the NDSU beat writers they do as good of a job covering FCS, and of course NDSU, as any beat writer out there. Dom Izzo and Jeff Kolpack nailed all 20 teams last year and they have a video blog about this years playoff teams. It is a good video to watch as Dom goes through who he thinks the locks are and who he thinks the at large teams are.

Dewey

Interesting take on the possibilities. They've done some homework.
While the names may change as to who is in or out, regardless there will be a log jam of teams fighting for the final few spots.

HensRock
November 4th, 2013, 07:38 AM

Dewey

Why does he have 2 Valley teams at 4-5 on the bubble, but no chance for Villanova or New Hampshire?
Also William & Mary didn't lose to Delaware, unless he has a crystal ball. They play on Saturday. I think he meant 'Nova instead of UD.

JMUNJ08
November 4th, 2013, 09:13 AM
The Blue Hen football team needs to take care of their business, and W&M has nothing but the highest respect from me, but it's time for the Blue Hen fan base to quit slow playing our hand. And I strongly disagree about our final 3 games being an 'unlikely 2 out of 3 wins', even before the Towson win. Despite being beaten badly by a very solid Maine team and a Navy team that took Notre Dame to the wire yesterday, we've won 7 of the 9 opponents we've played and all of them were Division 1 wins. Our losses though lopsided are to quality opponents.

Quite frankly, our resume with 7 D1 wins is as deserving of respect as anyone other than a very small handful of teams in FCS. Now that we're in the final quarter of our schedule, it is an appropriate time to start looking around and acknowledging the fact that we're 7-2 with a very solid shot of ending up as a 9 or 10 win team. Could things blow up? Sure, I suppose, but it's just as likely or less likely that it happens to nearly anyone else in the FCS mix down this final stretch.

And we are a dead mortal lock for the playoffs if we get 8 wins courtesy that victory last night.

I would hold off on losing 2 of 3 down the stretch and getting to 8 W's being a 'mortal lock'. If W&M & JMU both get to 9-3 (still possible and obviously give them the 'hot' hand with the same win over Towson) then you'd guys will be invited to my Thanksgiving dinner at home. Otherwise, that W @ Towson looks pretty awesome right now.

JMUNJ08
November 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Why does he have 2 Valley teams at 4-5 on the bubble, but no chance for Villanova or New Hampshire?
Also William & Mary didn't lose to Delaware, unless he has a crystal ball. They play on Saturday. I think he meant 'Nova instead of UD.

The Valley's look tougher and can still get to 7 W's. Nova can't get there and UNH should be toast by now with both JMU & Maine still on the schedule...

In reality though, no 5 loss team will get in. That's just some homer thought right there. If it happened, UNI, with an 3-5 conference record would be dancing. How gross does that sound for a playoff system we love so much?

MTfan4life
November 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM

Yeah, he did have one or two slip ups on teams like that, but that's bound to happen when just basically going off the cuff. Villanova only has two more games, so while they've played probably the toughest schedule in the country, they can't get to more than 6 wins. I also think he just wanted to list off the teams with any chance in the Valley, considering that's who a bulk of his listening target is going to care about.

Fear the Bird
November 4th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I would hold off on losing 2 of 3 down the stretch and getting to 8 W's being a 'mortal lock'. If W&M & JMU both get to 9-3 (still possible and obviously give them the 'hot' hand with the same win over Towson) then you'd guys will be invited to my Thanksgiving dinner at home. Otherwise, that W @ Towson looks pretty awesome right now.

No way - if UD trips up against W&M, beats Richmond and then loses the Battle of the Blue, they are a lock at 8-4. Now, obviously, the much preferred route is to win 2 of 3 down the stretch, or even win all 3 and try to get in the bottom of the seeds discussion. There are too many down teams this year to keep out a 8-4 (5-3) UD team with wins over JMU and Towson. You have to keep in mind that your hypothetical 9-3 JMU and W&M scenarios give Towson 2 more losses and they would be the ones at home on Thanksgiving, not UD.

B.T.C.
November 4th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I'm expecting more of a 3-6 seed with an 11-1 record. However, that's also based on us playing SCar tighter than people expect. I think if we are completely blown out the day before the field is set we will be a 7, 8 or in the first 2 teams that are unseeded.

If we (CCU) win out and know we're in the playoffs (let alone a first round bye), you are only going to see the first team in there on the first drive at most. That game will be played by second and third stringers throughout most of it. (Note: That is more than just a 'guess'.)

JMUNJ08
November 4th, 2013, 10:39 AM
No way - if UD trips up against W&M, beats Richmond and then loses the Battle of the Blue, they are a lock at 8-4. Now, obviously, the much preferred route is to win 2 of 3 down the stretch, or even win all 3 and try to get in the bottom of the seeds discussion. There are too many down teams this year to keep out a 8-4 (5-3) UD team with wins over JMU and Towson. You have to keep in mind that your hypothetical 9-3 JMU and W&M scenarios give Towson 2 more losses and they would be the ones at home on Thanksgiving, not UD.

May have a point of being the 4th CAA team still since Towson would have the same record, lost the H2H, lost 3 of 4 down the stretch and that UConn win looks no better than URI at the moment...