PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week Ten.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 2nd, 2013, 09:50 PM
I was 2-3 this week. I experienced a Southern Conference Shutout as all the SoCon winners I predicted lost. Here's where I see it. Updated magic number in parenthesis.

1) Chattanooga (IN) - first SoCon team to score seven D1 wins.
2) Samford (1 of 3) - lost in a shocker against The Citadel.
3) Wofford (2 of 3) - Resting for the final leg of their schedule.
4) Furman (3 of 3) - Kept their playoff hopes alive one more week.
5) The Citadel (eliminated) - Held off Samford.
6) Georgia Southern (ineligible) - Lost another close one
7) Appalachian State (ineligible) - will experience their first losing season in a long time
8) Western Carolina (eliminated) - See Wofford
9) Elon (eliminated) - See Wofford
Mercer (3 of 3)* - crushes Davidson
VMI (eliminated) - unable to put out the Flames
ETSU - had Homecoming this weekend

Predictions
Appalachian State at Georgia (Beatdown of the week) - Mountaineers go 0-3 against teams named Bulldogs
Samford at Furman - Bulldogs hope to get it done in Greenville
The Citadel at Elon - Bulldogs roast the Phoenix
Wofford at Chattanooga (Game of the week) - Mocs win to setup title game vs. Samford the following week.
Western Carolina @ Georgia Southern (Upset of the week) - Catamounts win their second straight SoCon game.
Gardner-Webb @ VMI - Bulldogs run over Keydets
Jacksonville @ Mercer - Bears win a tough game vs. the Dolphins
ETSU - Is it 2015 yet?

chattownmocs
November 2nd, 2013, 09:52 PM
We're gonna need another win to get in the playoffs.

PaladinFan
November 2nd, 2013, 10:46 PM
I'm inclined to even put Furman behind UTC at #2. Season record is not great, but does anyone want to play Furman now that they are finally getting guys back?

Furman just held two of the top three SoCon total offenses to a combined 24 points in 8 quarters of football over the last three weeks. Going to be fun to see if Furman can neutralize the 'fightin Summerlins.

I am among those that believe Furman would be 6-3 right now had they not had to play backups (and backup's backups) at quarterback much of this season. In a position, though, where they have to win out to have a shot.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2013, 10:59 PM
Western Carolina @ Georgia Southern (Upset of the week) - Catamounts win their second straight SoCon game.

xlolx

I'm inclined to even put Furman behind UTC at #2. Season record is not great, but does anyone want to play Furman now that they are finally getting guys back?

Furman just held two of the top three SoCon total offenses to a combined 24 points in 8 quarters of football over the last three weeks. Going to be fun to see if Furman can neutralize the 'fightin Summerlins.

I am among those that believe Furman would be 6-3 right now had they not had to play backups (and backup's backups) at quarterback much of this season. In a position, though, where they have to win out to have a shot.

No offense, but stopping us at this point really isn't a great feat, especially considering you got the benefit of unforced turnovers ( receiver who was udnerthrown and poor exchanges between the fullback and quarterback) and two missed field goals. On top of that you were playing a freshman QB in the first half and in the second half a hobbling McKinnon as well as our 5th and 6th string fullbacks. Our coaches still apparently haven't figured out how to improvise around the injuries offensively.

I didn't watch your game with App, but you gave up a ton of yards in that game too and seemed to benefit more from the mistakes of App State than you did from just playing good defense. IMO, you guys are going to need points to beat Wofford and Samford.

PaladinFan
November 2nd, 2013, 11:45 PM
xlolx

No offense, but stopping us at this point really isn't a great feat, especially considering you got the benefit of unforced turnovers ( receiver who was udnerthrown and poor exchanges between the fullback and quarterback) and two missed field goals. On top of that you were playing a freshman QB in the first half and in the second half a hobbling McKinnon as well as our 5th and 6th string fullbacks. Our coaches still apparently haven't figured out how to improvise around the injuries offensively.

I didn't watch your game with App, but you gave up a ton of yards in that game too and seemed to benefit more from the mistakes of App State than you did from just playing good defense. IMO, you guys are going to need points to beat Wofford and Samford.

Typical response. To this point, I have yet to read any comments from any GSU player, fan, or coach that acknowledges that the team on the other sideline today beat them. They were out played and out coached.

It's just excuses to blame "unforced" turnovers and the kicker. GSU attempted two long field goals because they couldn't sustain drives. There's only one kicker in the SoCon consistently reliable from outside 40, and he plays for Furman. Those kicks today might as well have been hail marys.

citdog
November 2nd, 2013, 11:51 PM
I swear I heard that pigs ass had a new kicker this year.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2013, 11:56 PM
explanations with context are not something Paladinfan likes, so you may as well not waste your time pwns

blueballs
November 3rd, 2013, 07:08 AM
PaladinFan is right...Furman was better and they won. Injuries are part of the game and so are stupid decisions and lack of execution. Furman has improved some, how much it is hard to tell.

I don't remember any GSU folks shedding any tears for Wofford in 2009 when the same thing happened to them. History only records who won and lost, not the excuses.

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2013, 07:10 AM

I said at the begining of the season that Furple wouldn't win the SoCon, but they would have bearing on the outcome....I still believe that to be true!

blueballs
November 3rd, 2013, 07:29 AM
PaladinFan is right...Furman was better and they won. Injuries are part of the game and so are stupid decisions and lack of execution. Furman has improved some, how much it is hard to tell.

I don't remember any GSU folks shedding any tears for Wofford in 2009 when the same thing happened to them. History only records who won and lost, not the excuses.

EDIT:

I just reread PaladinFan post. You can't say Furman would be 6-3 if they had their QB and then beat your chest and crow about defeating a team that had 28- yes, 28- scholarship players out with injuries.

Imagine what your team's record would be without two players who rushed for over 3000 yards last year and both of their backups, two starting LBS, a starting CB, a starting slot that had 2 games of over 100 yards this year, a starting DE, and I could go particularly with o-lineme but suffice to say that if Furman was completely healthy and GSU was completely healthy GSU would win by multiple scores, especially at home.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 3rd, 2013, 07:30 AM

The point I was making is that we are not a very good barometer for anyone's defense at this point. UTC proved that yesterday in Boone.

And I knew better than to think we were any good or had turned a corner because we beat Wofford in 2009. I think most GSU fans also knew that. We all knew they were struggling that year.

It wouldn't be that big of a shocker if Furman beats Samford, but I think they will probably need at least 30 points to do it.

OL FU
November 3rd, 2013, 08:12 AM

I like your optimism but I think I will wait until we beat a good team. GSU was probably good early in the season but not now. The Citadel may be getting better as the season goes along but they weren't good when we beat them. Any way, I hope you are right

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2013, 08:24 AM
explanations with context are not something Paladinfan likes, so you may as well not waste your time pwns

There is a difference between "context" and "excuses." It is context to say GSU played without a lot of players. It is an excuse to blame that on why they lost. Teams play with injuries. They play in the rain. They play when they aren't at their best.

At the end of the day, two teams played in Stateboro yesterday. The better team that day won.

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2013, 08:28 AM
EDIT:

I just reread PaladinFan post. You can't say Furman would be 6-3 if they had their QB and then beat your chest and crow about defeating a team that had 28- yes, 28- scholarship players out with injuries.

Imagine what your team's record would be without two players who rushed for over 3000 yards last year and both of their backups, two starting LBS, a starting CB, a starting slot that had 2 games of over 100 yards this year, a starting DE, and I could go particularly with o-lineme but suffice to say that if Furman was completely healthy and GSU was completely healthy GSU would win by multiple scores, especially at home.

Both teams can go through their injury list. They are both extensive.

The game was a big deal to Furman. They are an extremely young team, a lot of guys playing out of position, and this was a big time road win for the program against a team that has been to back to back semifinals.

CID1990
November 3rd, 2013, 08:32 AM
I like your optimism but I think I will wait until we beat a good team. GSU was probably good early in the season but not now. The Citadel may be getting better as the season goes along but they weren't good when we beat them. Any way, I hope you are right

We have stunk out loud all season. We just finally found a way to adjust to the other team yesterday. Elon could still take us to the woodshed if they just do what ASU and Samford inexplicably did not: throw the ball deep.

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2013, 08:37 AM

I'm not sure anyone in the SoCon qualifies as "good." I think there are bad teams and less bad. I don't think there's a team in the conference that would stay within two or three touchdowns of some of the SoCon teams we've seen over the past ten or so years.

After Furman's rebuilding years, I'm just happy to see us have more points than the other guy at the end of the game.

OL FU
November 3rd, 2013, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure anyone in the SoCon qualifies as "good." I think there are bad teams and less bad. I don't think there's a team in the conference that would stay within two or three touchdowns of some of the SoCon teams we've seen over the past ten or so years.

After Furman's rebuilding years, I'm just happy to see us have more points than the other guy at the end of the game.

I agree with that. After the first three games I was thinking we would end the season 1-11. I do think that we could win out, but I also know we could lose the last three just as easily. Regardless, we are much better than it looked like we would be at the first of the year.

Although our CCU game has looked much better as the year moved on.

walliver
November 3rd, 2013, 08:44 AM
1) Samford - Yes they lost. There are issues with the the team, and Summerlin has been loading up on INT's, but still probably the best of the bunch at this point
2) Chattanooga - beating ASU in Boone is always nice, but the question is: Is ASU back to normal or was the GSU game a fluke?
3) Wofford - 3 starting QB's has led to inconsistency. Hopefully the week off will help.

4) The Citadel - Team finally played up to its potential
5) Furman - beat a beaten-down GSU team

6) GSU - Sometimes you just have those kind of years
7) ASU - glimmer of hope from last week faded this week
8) Western Carolina - still has hopes of winning a few more

9) Elon - Is it basketball season yet?

10) Mercer - tied for first in the Pioneer league. The good times last a few more weeks
11) VMI - put up a valiant effort.
12) ETSU

Predictions:
ASU @ UGA - UGA is better than Michigan, and Armanti Edwards has moved on. Bulldogs rip Yosef's 56-9
Samford @ Furman - FU has improved, but Samford senior leadership comes to the rescue and the Baptist Bulldogs beat the former-Baptist Knights 35-21
The Citadel at Elon - Bulldogs at risk of a let-down after big win, Fleeing Birds keep it close, but pups win 31-28
Wofford at Chatty - essentially a first round playoff game as loser would have a hard road to playoffs. Chatt curse strikes and Dogs win 31-30
Western @ GSU - Cant's play inspired game, but somehow wounded Igglets find enough heart to win at home 21-17 (Cats would win at the 'Whee)

GWU @ VMI - GWU has faded the last few weeks, but VMI never got started. Pups 42 - Toy Soldiers - 10
Jacksonville @ Mercer - Bears win 35-24
ETSU - looking forward to 2015, dreading 2016 (Although to be honest, recent experience show that properly developed new programs can rise to the top quickly).

Playoff prediction
auto-bid: Sammy
at-large: winner of Chatty-Wofford
Outside chance of a second at-large, especially with new 24 team format and ASU, GSU, and ODU out of the picture; but, all SoCon contenders had a bad OOC loss this year. You can blame in on injuries or monsoons or whatever, but losses to GWU and UTM don't look good on a resume.

blueballs
November 3rd, 2013, 09:40 AM
Both teams can go through their injury list. They are both extensive.

The game was a big deal to Furman. They are an extremely young team, a lot of guys playing out of position, and this was a big time road win for the program against a team that has been to back to back semifinals.

No question about it.

chattownmocs
November 3rd, 2013, 09:55 AM
EDIT:

Only 28? That was the number like 3 weeks ago. What kind of fraud is Georgia Southern trying to pull? The NCAA needs to deny any medical redshirt request. Or they need to investigate why their players are so soft.

chattownmocs
November 3rd, 2013, 10:00 AM
1) Samford - Yes they lost. There are issues with the the team, and Summerlin has been loading up on INT's, but still probably the best of the bunch at this point
2) Chattanooga - beating ASU in Boone is always nice, but the question is: Is ASU back to normal or was the GSU game a fluke?
3) Wofford - 3 starting QB's has led to inconsistency. Hopefully the week off will help.

4) The Citadel - Team finally played up to its potential
5) Furman - beat a beaten-down GSU team

6) GSU - Sometimes you just have those kind of years
7) ASU - glimmer of hope from last week faded this week
8) Western Carolina - still has hopes of winning a few more

9) Elon - Is it basketball season yet?

10) Mercer - tied for first in the Pioneer league. The good times last a few more weeks
11) VMI - put up a valiant effort.
12) ETSU

Predictions:
ASU @ UGA - UGA is better than Michigan, and Armanti Edwards has moved on. Bulldogs rip Yosef's 56-9
Samford @ Furman - FU has improved, but Samford senior leadership comes to the rescue and the Baptist Bulldogs beat the former-Baptist Knights 35-21
The Citadel at Elon - Bulldogs at risk of a let-down after big win, Fleeing Birds keep it close, but pups win 31-28
Wofford at Chatty - essentially a first round playoff game as loser would have a hard road to playoffs. Chatt curse strikes and Dogs win 31-30
Western @ GSU - Cant's play inspired game, but somehow wounded Igglets find enough heart to win at home 21-17 (Cats would win at the 'Whee)

GWU @ VMI - GWU has faded the last few weeks, but VMI never got started. Pups 42 - Toy Soldiers - 10
Jacksonville @ Mercer - Bears win 35-24
ETSU - looking forward to 2015, dreading 2016 (Although to be honest, recent experience show that properly developed new programs can rise to the top quickly).

Playoff prediction
auto-bid: Sammy
at-large: winner of Chatty-Wofford
Outside chance of a second at-large, especially with new 24 team format and ASU, GSU, and ODU out of the picture; but, all SoCon contenders had a bad OOC loss this year. You can blame in on injuries or monsoons or whatever, but losses to GWU and UTM don't look good on a resume.

UT Martin and Gardner Webb aren't similar losses.

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2013, 10:05 AM

I tend to side with Chattown on this one.

UTM is 6-3, in a much stronger conference.
GWebb is 5-4, two of those being Non DI wins.

That is why in the Massey Ratings (http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm) UTM is in the 30's and GWebb is in the 60's

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 3rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
Only 28? That was the number like 3 weeks ago. What kind of fraud is Georgia Southern trying to pull? The NCAA needs to deny any medical redshirt request. Or they need to investigate why their players are so soft.

MRIs and X-rays don't lie.

kdinva
November 3rd, 2013, 10:40 AM
Predictions

Samford 34 at Furman 28
The Citadel 37 at Elon 17
Wofford 28 at Chattanooga 23
Western Carolina 19 @ Georgia Southern 34
Gardner-Webb 21 @ VMI 27

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2013, 11:15 AM

doesn't matter....neither have an effect on the game saturday

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
doesn't matter....neither have an effect on the game saturday

Tell it to your schoolmate then, he is the one that brought it up.

SU DOG
November 3rd, 2013, 01:31 PM
For those who may not know, both Fabian Truss AND Jaquiski Tartt went down yesterday. This was in addition to exactly half of the D-front that did not start yesterday. One O-lineman was moved to the D-line and a true Fr. lost his RS yesterday. This is in NO WAY to take anything away from a Citadel team that outplayed us and deserved to win. Nothing but respect and my congrats to that set of Bulldogs. What we now have at Samford, however, is a team that is riddled with injuries and also feeling the effects of a ridiculous conference schedule. Frankly I don't really know if we can recover enough to be much good the rest of the season or not. What happened to some other SoCon teams earlier as now happened to us.

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2013, 01:49 PM
Not trying to pick a fight, but everyone has a bunch of injuries at this point of the season.

The Mocs have plenty too...All SoCon DL Derrick Lott gone for the year, RB Keon Williams (who was 2nd in the league in rushing when he got injured) gone for the last 2 games...the list goes on.

That is part of football...hopefully you have underclassmen that are ready to step up...the Mocs wouldn't have beaten ASU yesterday if not for the big plays of at least 4 freshmen who were all playing because of injuries to upperclassmen (RB Derrick Craine (TD vs ASU), WR Xavier Borishade (TD vs ASU), DL Keionta Davis...and Nakevion Leslie who intercepted and returned the game winning TD, Davis forced Kam Bryant into a bad pass with a near sack on the play)

Coach Huesman joked after the game that they would have to get back to Chattanooga today and see who they had left healthy enough to play against Wofford.

SU DOG
November 3rd, 2013, 02:07 PM
Of course everyone has injuries, I tried to make it clear that I wasn't making excuse or asking for sympathy. I will ask you this, however, do you even play TWO conference games on the road back-to-back? This was our third of FOUR. While it is true that a championship team can overcome these types of adversity, it is also true that things add up and do have an effect on these kids. The point of my post was simply to inform under the title of this thread.

longtimemocfan
November 3rd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Is ASU back to normal or was the GSU game a fluke?

I don't think the GSU game was a fluke. From what I saw anyway. Some of the passes Bryant made and catches by his receivers made you shake your head. That last touchdown pass was a ESPN top 10 nominee type of play. Appy has a lot of talent and speed.

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2013, 02:15 PM
Of course everyone has injuries, I tried to make it clear that I wasn't making excuse or asking for sympathy. I will ask you this, however, do you even play TWO conference games on the road back-to-back? This was our third of FOUR. While it is true that a championship team can overcome these types of adversity, it is also true that things add up and do have an effect on these kids. The point of my post was simply to inform under the title of this thread.

No, the Mocs don't have to play 4 in a row on the road...but of the Samford, Wofford, and Chattanooga, the Mocs were the only school that had to play at both Boone and Statesboro.

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2013, 02:18 PM
I don't think the GSU game was a fluke. From what I saw anyway. Some of the passes Bryant made and catches by his receivers made you shake your head. That last touchdown pass was a ESPN top 10 nominee type of play. Appy has a lot of talent and speed.

I think the only real "knock" on Bryant right now (they have no trouble racking up yardage between the 20's) is just feeling comfortable in the red zone when the pressure ramps up. That just takes time and experience.

SU DOG
November 3rd, 2013, 02:19 PM
No, the Mocs don't have to play 4 in a row on the road...but of the Samford, Wofford, and Chattanooga, the Mocs were the only school that had to play at both Boone and Statesboro.
Swap with you. LOL

longtimemocfan
November 3rd, 2013, 02:19 PM

It pretty much just comes down to how really deep the talent runs in your depth chart. We are paper thin on defense right now, but lucky enough that we have some freshman both true and redshirt that can step up and play right away.

longtimemocfan
November 3rd, 2013, 02:22 PM
I think the only real "knock" on Bryant right now (they have no trouble racking up yardage between the 20's) is just feeling comfortable in the red zone when the pressure ramps up. That just takes time and experience.

Agreed, the only real weakness I saw.

SU DOG
November 3rd, 2013, 02:23 PM
Well congrats to the Mocs -glad you guys are so full of yourselves today.

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2013, 04:25 PM
For those who may not know, both Fabian Truss AND Jaquiski Tartt went down yesterday. This was in addition to exactly half of the D-front that did not start yesterday. One O-lineman was moved to the D-line and a true Fr. lost his RS yesterday. This is in NO WAY to take anything away from a Citadel team that outplayed us and deserved to win. Nothing but respect and my congrats to that set of Bulldogs. What we now have at Samford, however, is a team that is riddled with injuries and also feeling the effects of a ridiculous conference schedule. Frankly I don't really know if we can recover enough to be much good the rest of the season or not. What happened to some other SoCon teams earlier as now happened to us.

What's the status on Truss? Sounds like Samford is finally getting bit by the injury bug that's been going around.

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2013, 04:28 PM
I just noticed that App and Georgia Southern have the same number of conference losses as Western Carolina and Elon. Who saw that coming?

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2013, 04:29 PM
Well congrats to the Mocs -glad you guys are so full of yourselves today.

What exactly have you read that deems us full of ourselves today?

citdog
November 3rd, 2013, 04:35 PM

We punched y'all in the mouth when you went up 17-0 and you folded like a pup tent.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
<knocks on wood>

Wofford is not as injured as other teams are. As far as I know, we don't have anyone out for the year. We have a couple guys dinged up but the bye certainly helps with dealing with that. that could change certainly, but let's hope not.

SU DOG
November 3rd, 2013, 05:27 PM
What's the status on Truss? Sounds like Samford is finally getting bit by the injury bug that's been going around.

I don't know the extent of Truss' injury at this time. He went down, tried to return, but couldn't.

The Cats
November 3rd, 2013, 05:54 PM
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Wofford
4) Furman
5) The Citadel
6) Western Carolina
7) Elon

Georgia Southern (ineligible)
Appalachian State (ineligible)

Predictions
Appalachian State at Georgia
Samford at Furman
The Citadel at Elon
Wofford at Chattanooga
Western Carolina @ Georgia Southern

Gardner-Webb @ VMI
Jacksonville @ Mercer

ElCid
November 3rd, 2013, 09:22 PM
1 - Chattanooga - On a five game SOCON roll, can't ignore that.
2 - Samford - Stumbled. Yes, the Cadets were hungry and the Birmingham Dogs are hurting but you have to win on the road to win the SOCON.
3 - Wofford - at rest. Still lurking, but remaining schedule is not entirely friendly.
4 - Furman - More and more confident. They could take 2 of 3 with favorable remaining schedule to go 6-6.
5 - The Citadel - Spoiler alert. Oh to have even 2 or 3 games back (a couple muffed punts form Chuck South, a little less experimenting with Wofford, a 2 point conversion at ODU, a little better play calling with Furman, a little better pass D at Ga So, a little more determination at Chatty) and who knows what they could have done. Maybe no difference at all, but maybe...
6 - Western Carolina - at rest, they may take at least one more of the remaining three. Hopefully the Jug for their sake.
7 - Elon - at rest, they could easily ruin El Cid's or Ga So's day

Who the heck knows what is really going on with these two.
*App St
*Ga So

App St at Georgia - No contest. Georgia gets some depth play looking forward to Auburn. It's written in stone: 52-13
Samford at Furman - Samford plays tired on 4th straight road game, but gets some auto-bid redemption after lose: 34-24
The Citadel at Elon - The Dogs are on a high but Elon tries to impress the CAA, but comes up short in close one: 38-31
Western Carolina at Ga So - A rested Western not enough against a Ga So at home trying to secure a winning record: 35-20
Wofford at UTC - Mocs can't go into Samford with 2 SOCON loses, they step up at home: 27-17

T-Dog
November 3rd, 2013, 11:36 PM

The Washington TD catch was incredible. He somehow got the toe down on that one.

As far as this year, it's a combo of the upperclassmen on this team not being a strong as years past and the younger players not being experienced enough to carry the team.

I asked Satterfield last week how many players App is red-shirting and he said 25. There are freshmen who would be playing if we were eligible this year that would make a difference in the trenches. Upper-classmen are playing right now that will be on the bench next year. The recruits that came in this year are really good and I've met many of them and they're all men of character with no exception. Same cannot be said for some of the juniors on this team.

With trips to Michigan, Ark State, Troy, Lafayette and GaSo, we need players moreso next year than this year.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2013, 07:09 AM
The Washington TD catch was incredible. He somehow got the toe down on that one.

As far as this year, it's a combo of the upperclassmen on this team not being a strong as years past and the younger players not being experienced enough to carry the team.

I asked Satterfield last week how many players App is red-shirting and he said 25. There are freshmen who would be playing if we were eligible this year that would make a difference in the trenches. Upper-classmen are playing right now that will be on the bench next year. The recruits that came in this year are really good and I've met many of them and they're all men of character with no exception. Same cannot be said for some of the juniors on this team.

With trips to Michigan, Ark State, Troy, Lafayette and GaSo, we need players moreso next year than this year.

True to a degree, but there's still some part of it of "we are just not as good as we thought we were going to be."

I don't necessarily buy the youth and inexperience line. Furman held App to 10 points, and you sure aren't going to find a younger team than the Paladins, particularly on defense. I don't say that to put a feather in Furman's cap, but only to say it is all relative. There are a lot of young teams out there. App was younger last year and probably had more returning starters than just about any team in the conference.

My personal opinion is that App State was able to recruit highly regarded specialists, and really missed out on good linemen on both sides of the ball. They've got skill position talent to beat the band, but they can't keep the defense out of their backfield or control the line of scrimmage. We discussed that this might one day be a problem for ASU a number of years ago, when they missed out on some OL targets and had to settle for walkons (I remember well, because one of their top targets - Dakota Dozier - ended up at Furman). Whatever talent advantage App State has on the outside is generally negated by the dearth of talent on the inside.

Smitty
November 4th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I'm hoping that the playing field will be a little level this week with 28 (I believe the number?) injuries to GS. Hate that it happened but we will see...

The Cats
November 4th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I'm hoping that the playing field will be a little level this week with 28 (I believe the number?) injuries to GS. Hate that it happened but we will see...

It's about time the Cats catch a break in this series.

Saint3333
November 4th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Pfan we had five turnovers, 3 on handoffs between the QB and RB (unforced). I believe we fumbled the ball 8 times losing 4, you aren't going to score on anyone doing that. That was the difference in the game.

You are correct about the line play, but I think we'll see improvement next year on the lines and should have talent and depth on the lines by 2015. We have 5 verbals in the trenches for 2014 already. Four of the five chose App over programs such as ECU, Marshall, Ark St., MTSU, UConn. Just hope none of the BCS guys come calling. Recruiting is going very well so far.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Pfan we had five turnovers, 3 on handoffs between the QB and RB (unforced). I believe we fumbled the ball 8 times losing 4, you aren't going to score on anyone doing that. That was the difference in the game.

You are correct about the line play, but I think we'll see improvement next year on the lines and should have talent and depth on the lines by 2015. We have 5 verbals in the trenches for 2014 already. Four of the five chose App over programs such as ECU, Marshall, Ark St., MTSU, UConn. Just hope none of the BCS guys come calling. Recruiting is going very well so far.

The difference in the game was 17 points, not App State's turnovers.

I don't buy for a second the argument that the difference in the game was App State's "unforced" errors (which is your definition of unforced, of course). Sure, you can't win a ball game turning it over five times. It's the same argument GSU fans earlier on this thread are trying to peddle. When you are a team that has forced 10 turnovers over the past three games (as Furman has), not all of them can be because the offense just handed you the football. Your players have to be in the right spot at the right time and make the plays necessary to get the football.

Besides, by your logic (that is, if we calculate things that did not happen in the football game as indicative of the outcome), the game should have been far more lopsided. Furman had several drive killing penalties (en route to 11 for the game) that ended opportunities early in the football game. Furman was "lucky" the Mountaineers coughed it up so much just as much as the Mountaineers were "lucky" Furman wasn't leading 21-0 in the first quarter.

citdog
November 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM
the 'erring sisters' NEVER get beat. it's either the refs or they handed the other team the game. they are like chattown in this regard.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 4th, 2013, 01:07 PM
The difference in the game was 17 points, not App State's turnovers.

I don't buy for a second the argument that the difference in the game was App State's "unforced" errors (which is your definition of unforced, of course). Sure, you can't win a ball game turning it over five times. It's the same argument GSU fans earlier on this thread are trying to peddle. When you are a team that has forced 10 turnovers over the past three games (as Furman has), not all of them can be because the offense just handed you the football. Your players have to be in the right spot at the right time and make the plays necessary to get the football.

Besides, by your logic (that is, if we calculate things that did not happen in the football game as indicative of the outcome), the game should have been far more lopsided. Furman had several drive killing penalties (en route to 11 for the game) that ended opportunities early in the football game. Furman was "lucky" the Mountaineers coughed it up so much just as much as the Mountaineers were "lucky" Furman wasn't leading 21-0 in the first quarter.

I can't vouch for your game with App, but none of the turnovers we gave you were forced. Two were fumbles on the QB/FB exchange and one was the result of Kevin Ellison underthrowing an open receiver.

It was a good idea from Furman's standpoint to shut the perimeter running down and force GSU to make long and grueling drives because with our top 4 fullbacks out the fumbles on the exchange are bound to happen when you run a zillion dive plays. That speaks more to Furman doing good game planning around our weakness more than the actual quality of your defense.

If you can do defensively to Samford what you did to GSU and App I'll be impressed, but I don't see that happening.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 4th, 2013, 02:28 PM
We're gonna need another win to get in the playoffs.

Win this week and next and you win your first SoCon title in a long time.

Furman would be eliminated from SoCon title contention with a loss this week. As far as playoff chances are concerned, I think the SoCon would be lucky to get two teams in this year. Three teams getting in would require Wofford to win twice or Furman to win out and Samford to win once more.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2013, 02:36 PM
If the Socon has three teams at 8 wins, they will get three teams in. period.

chattownmocs
November 4th, 2013, 02:38 PM

The best chance is that all 3 finish 6-2. No way you can leave any of them out. I don't know about Furman if they got to 6-2 instead of 1 of the other 3 though.

Edit: I guess we could also have someone at 7-1 and 2 teams at 6-2.

ASU_Fanatic
November 4th, 2013, 03:14 PM
1. Samford
2. Chattanooga
3. Furman
4. Wofford
5. Citadel
6. App St
7. GaSo
8. WCU
9. Elon

Georgia 49 App 7
Samford 29 Furman 26
Citadel 31 Elon 17
Chattanooga 17 Wofford 7
WCU 27 ​GaSo 21 - why not? *upset*

walliver
November 4th, 2013, 03:17 PM

Unlike last year's 3 6-2 co-champions getting in, all of the major competitors have an OOC FCS loss.

Maybe with 4 new playoff spots that won't matter. I believe all "co-champions" if there is a tie will get bids. Any second place teams would be on the bubble.
Sammy gets the autobid if they win out.
Chatty gets the autobid if the beat SU and WC.
Wofford needs help even if we win out (Sammy has to lose at least once)
If FU wins out there could be a three-way tie with SU and WC-UTC winner. FU would get auto-bid if WC beats UTC, otherwise it is a three-way tie and the tiebreaker goes into play. With 2 OOC FCS losses, FU would have difficulty getting an at-large.

eaglemachine
November 4th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Unlike last year's 3 6-2 co-champions getting in, all of the major competitors have an OOC FCS loss.

Maybe with 4 new playoff spots that won't matter. I believe all "co-champions" if there is a tie will get bids. Any second place teams would be on the bubble.
Sammy gets the autobid if they win out.
Chatty gets the autobid if the beat SU and WC.
Wofford needs help even if we win out (Sammy has to lose at least once)
If FU wins out there could be a three-way tie with SU and WC-UTC winner. FU would get auto-bid if WC beats UTC, otherwise it is a three-way tie and the tiebreaker goes into play. With 2 OOC FCS losses, FU would have difficulty getting an at-large.

At least GSU is 2-0 OOC. Boom. :)

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM
The best chance is that all 3 finish 6-2. No way you can leave any of them out. I don't know about Furman if they got to 6-2 instead of 1 of the other 3 though.

Edit: I guess we could also have someone at 7-1 and 2 teams at 6-2.

If Furman wins out, at worst they would be the #2 SoCon team despite being 7-5. They would have the tie breaker by virtue of head to head wins over Wofford and Samford. The only one of the four (at the moment) that would have the tie breaker over Furman is UTC.

I believe there's a scenario where you could have a 7-5 Furman as the autobid followed by three teams with better overall records.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I can't vouch for your game with App, but none of the turnovers we gave you were forced. Two were fumbles on the QB/FB exchange and one was the result of Kevin Ellison underthrowing an open receiver.

It was a good idea from Furman's standpoint to shut the perimeter running down and force GSU to make long and grueling drives because with our top 4 fullbacks out the fumbles on the exchange are bound to happen when you run a zillion dive plays. That speaks more to Furman doing good game planning around our weakness more than the actual quality of your defense.

If you can do defensively to Samford what you did to GSU and App I'll be impressed, but I don't see that happening.

You have a strange definition of unforced turnovers. This is the Statesboro Herald's replays (http://statesboroherald.com/multimedia/6134/). Of the three turnovers, only one even remotely qualifies as "unforced" - the first fumble where the QB just loses the handle.

The interception was a fine play by the Furman cornerback. The ball was underthrown a bit, but it was underthrown to both players (only one of whom knew the play was a pass, by the way). The Furman DB does a great job getting his body turned to make the play and catches it turning around. It is not an unforced turnover just because the ball was underthrown. By that definition, every play that is not executed perfectly and results in a turnover is "unforced."

The second fumble, likewise, was certainly not unforced. The GSU running back cleanly takes the handoff and was well into his run when the ball came out. It looks almost identical to Furman's fumble on the prior series. Back hits his tackler and a hand knocks the ball out.

chattownmocs
November 4th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Anyone know all the possible tiebreaker scenarios?

T-Dog
November 4th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Anyone know all the possible tiebreaker scenarios?

It's some vague bull**** as we found out last year.

If the teams at the top are tied against each other, then they all win the conference. For the autobid, the first tiebreaker is head to head. After that, it's record against teams down the ladder. However, if teams below are tied with each other, it's the record against all of the tied teams (tied teams not in first are NOT ranked by a tie-breaker). If a three-way tie goes to a two-way tie, then it doesn't revert back to head-to-head. You just continue down. If that doesn't break it, then it goes to points given up in conference play.

Of course the SoCon didn't offer up any explanation last year beforehand. GaSo won the autobid but I have no idea how.

Of course with two teams that "don't count", it could be a real **** show this year because officially, App and GaSo will be counted as 8th and 9th in the standings, depending on who finishes higher.

chattownmocs
November 4th, 2013, 04:57 PM
It's some vague bull**** as we found out last year.

If the teams at the top are tied against each other, then they all win the conference. For the autobid, the first tiebreaker is head to head. After that, it's record against teams down the ladder. However, if teams below are tied with each other, it's the record against all of the tied teams. If a three-way tie goes to a two-way tie, then it doesn't revert back to head-to-head. You just continue down. If that doesn't break it, then it goes to points given up in conference play.

Of course with two teams that "don't count", it could be a real **** show this year.

So basically in a tiebreaker scenario you are better off losing to weak ass teams. Check

NoDak 4 Ever
November 4th, 2013, 05:01 PM
So basically in a tiebreaker scenario you are better off losing to weak ass teams. Check

Well it never used to matter. With App and GSU they would both get in anyway. Now that you're a 1 bid conference, it's probably a bigger deal.

chattownmocs
November 4th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Well it never used to matter. With App and GSU they would both get in anyway. Now that you're a 1 bid conference, it's probably a bigger deal.

You are a douchebag. Anyone with a brain would be able to understand that if App State and Georgia Southern are struggling this badly, the conference is probably pretty good, not poor. Gtfo you clueless reject POS.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 4th, 2013, 05:17 PM
You are a douchebag. Anyone with a brain would be able to understand that if App State and Georgia Southern are struggling this badly, the conference is probably pretty good, not poor. Gtfo you clueless reject POS.

That might hold weight if y'all could win some OOC. Even the GSU and App guys would say this year is a real big turd.

PhillyApp1
November 4th, 2013, 05:19 PM

Thanks T-dog,,,i needed to read some good news about the players

citdog
November 4th, 2013, 05:28 PM

if we only get one team in i'll eat this

http://thebenjamin.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/richmond5.jpg

citdog
November 4th, 2013, 05:31 PM

Red-Shirts, nothing to play for.......JUST A LITANY OF EXCUSES. YOU SUCK. YOU"RE 2-7.......OWN IT

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2013, 06:01 PM
That might hold weight if y'all could win some OOC. Even the GSU and App guys would say this year is a real big turd.

App and GSU fans poopoo the SoCon as "down" because it fits their narrative. It's easy to excuse your teams performance by arguing that our team just doesn't care, the season was a throw away anyway, or the entire conference is down. In reality, it probably isn't. App and GSU just really aren't that good.

No, the SoCon is not where it was back in the mid-2000s where it had three elite teams (imagine three North Dakota States in one conference). They still have quality programs and programs that have the potential to make waves in the playoffs (how many teams, exactly, want to see Wofford in the postseaon roll into their stadium?). Not great teams, but plenty good enough to make you wish you didn't have to face them.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 4th, 2013, 07:12 PM
if we only get one team in i'll eat this

http://thebenjamin.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/richmond5.jpg

Don't forget the sauce.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/mustard-bbq-sauce.jpg

Horseshoe App
November 4th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I guess our last year in the conference we wanted to see how it felt to be mediocre. You know, the feeling The Citadel has every year. I guess I now know why you are always so bitter. It sucks to be no good. At least we can now relate with you because you guys typically suck every year.

Red-Shirts, nothing to play for.......JUST A LITANY OF EXCUSES. YOU SUCK. YOU"RE 2-7.......OWN IT

DoWe
November 4th, 2013, 07:25 PM
App and GSU fans poopoo the SoCon as "down" because it fits their narrative. It's easy to excuse your teams performance by arguing that our team just doesn't care, the season was a throw away anyway, or the entire conference is down. In reality, it probably isn't. App and GSU just really aren't that good.

No, the SoCon is not where it was back in the mid-2000s where it had three elite teams (imagine three North Dakota States in one conference). They still have quality programs and programs that have the potential to make waves in the playoffs (how many teams, exactly, want to see Wofford in the postseaon roll into their stadium?). Not great teams, but plenty good enough to make you wish you didn't have to face them.

Why would it fit their narrative? That makes no sense at all. I think the Socon will be judged by the playoff committee. We will see then what the national scene thinks of your conference.

Eagle22
November 4th, 2013, 07:43 PM

Having seen 10 playoff games in person the last three years, and 38 of the other 41 games my Eagles have played since 2010 ... I do believe I have a pretty good sense of just how good the SoCon is this year in relation to past years.

This isn't about ASU or GSU not being that good, because as you said they really aren't and I can agree with that. I can certainly say the 2013 edition of the Eagles is easily the weakest product Monken and company have put on the field, and that goes to the start of the season even before we got hit with the injury bug. It has gotten worse from there, for GSU fans. As far as the Eagles go, we were better in week 2 than we are today, and our record is a reflection of that.

The SoCon has some potential but by my measures it is "down". Opinions to the contrary are no more valid or inaccurate, and only a team getting to the top 5 by the end of the season will IMO justify an argument that the conference isn't in a period where they are looking up. Of course, it would be easier to just take a glance at the Top 10 and see the absence of the league in those standings, but that discounts the magic that can take place in the FCS playoffs. IMO the standard bearer in the league, whether it is Samford, Wofford, UTC or Furman .... will have a difficult time this year going deep into the playoffs.

You question this opinion because it doesn't match your narrative. The essential element of what constitutes a disagreement.

chattownmocs
November 4th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Hahahahahaha, all we need to do is get there, and get healthy. We have what it takes to go a long ways in the playoffs. There might be a team or 2 out there that we can't play with, but it ain't the one everyone thinks is unbeatable. Chattanooga has the talent and style of play to go to Fargo and stand toe-to-toe with them, matchup man-for-man, and beat their ass at their own game. Im praying for this matchup.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Having seen 10 playoff games in person the last three years, and 38 of the other 41 games my Eagles have played since 2010 ... I do believe I have a pretty good sense of just how good the SoCon is this year in relation to past years.

This isn't about ASU or GSU not being that good, because as you said they really aren't and I can agree with that. I can certainly say the 2013 edition of the Eagles is easily the weakest product Monken and company have put on the field, and that goes to the start of the season even before we got hit with the injury bug. It has gotten worse from there, for GSU fans. As far as the Eagles go, we were better in week 2 than we are today, and our record is a reflection of that.

The SoCon has some potential but by my measures it is "down". Opinions to the contrary are no more valid or inaccurate, and only a team getting to the top 5 by the end of the season will IMO justify an argument that the conference isn't in a period where they are looking up. Of course, it would be easier to just take a glance at the Top 10 and see the absence of the league in those standings, but that discounts the magic that can take place in the FCS playoffs. IMO the standard bearer in the league, whether it is Samford, Wofford, UTC or Furman .... will have a difficult time this year going deep into the playoffs.

You question this opinion because it doesn't match your narrative. The essential element of what constitutes a disagreement.

I do not necessarily disagree with that. I do not think there's a single team in this league right now that would be within three touchdowns of, say, 2004 Georgia Southern, 2005 Furman, or 2007 App State. Those teams were clearly superior in my estimation. Truthfully, I'd put any of them against the toughest team today and I'd feel good about the results.

I do think that, as we've seen in years past, the SoCon will give a good account of themselves come playoff time. It's been a rocky road at times, but if teams are healthy, I cannot see any reason why they cannot be successful in the post season.

The conference is certainly going through a period of transition. I do think that heading into 2014, you might see the SoCon take its perch back with three or so teams in the top 15. I think there are really only two teams right now that are not in some stage of rebuilding - UTC and Samford. Everyone else is either on the way up or on the way down, but most are in the middle.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 4th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Hahahahahaha, all we need to do is get there, and get healthy. We have what it takes to go a long ways in the playoffs. There might be a team or 2 out there that we can't play with, but it ain't the one everyone thinks is unbeatable. Chattanooga has the talent and style of play to go to Fargo and stand toe-to-toe with them, matchup man-for-man, and beat their ass at their own game. Im praying for this matchup.

Saint3333
November 4th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Wait so the pick 6 from the Furman 2 yard (14 point swing) plus four fumbles wasn't the difference in the game?

No one is saying you weren't the better team that day, but the turnovers were the difference in the game.

someone may not understand how important a -5 turnover ratio is.

GATA
November 4th, 2013, 10:45 PM

The SOCON will get exposed when all of the participants in the playoffs lose their first game. These league has been dominated by the ****ing BIG SOUTH and the two programs that were predicted to finish atop the league (for obvious reasons) have completely tanked.

All of the "contenders" this year are no better than that Elon team that snuck into the playoffs a few years ago with Pete Lembo at the helm.

Chatty coudn't even hang with UT-Martin...

citdog
November 4th, 2013, 11:43 PM
I guess our last year in the conference we wanted to see how it felt to be mediocre. You know, the feeling The Citadel has every year. I guess I now know why you are always so bitter. It sucks to be no good. At least we can now relate with you because you guys typically suck every year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4YLUVDPFbQ

http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/photos/0014/Warren_FG.jpg

T-Dog
November 5th, 2013, 12:39 AM
I'm glad you hate our ****ing guts. Shows how much you care about us.

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.

Saint3333
November 5th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I do not necessarily disagree with that. I do not think there's a single team in this league right now that would be within three touchdowns of, say, 2004 Georgia Southern, 2005 Furman, or 2007 App State. Those teams were clearly superior in my estimation. Truthfully, I'd put any of them against the toughest team today and I'd feel good about the results.

I do think that, as we've seen in years past, the SoCon will give a good account of themselves come playoff time. It's been a rocky road at times, but if teams are healthy, I cannot see any reason why they cannot be successful in the post season.

The conference is certainly going through a period of transition. I do think that heading into 2014, you might see the SoCon take its perch back with three or so teams in the top 15. I think there are really only two teams right now that are not in some stage of rebuilding - UTC and Samford. Everyone else is either on the way up or on the way down, but most are in the middle.

You could have said App 2005-2009.

SpeedkingATL
November 5th, 2013, 09:25 AM
UTC, Sammy and Wofford all have good enough defenses to make some noise in the playoffs. I'm not sure if any of the 3 have the balance of offense and defense or the dominance on either side of the ball to win it all but we'll see. The road still travels thru ND.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2013, 09:28 AM
You could have said App 2005-2009.

I could have said Furman 2001 and 2004. I could have said 2000, 2001, 2010, 2011 Georgia Southern. I could have said 2003 or 2007 Wofford.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 5th, 2013, 09:30 AM
UTC, Sammy and Wofford all have good enough defenses to make some noise in the playoffs. I'm not sure if any of the 3 have the balance of offense and defense or the dominance on either side of the ball to win it all but we'll see. The road still travels thru ND.

oh, but didn't you read? NDSU would just be a small speedbump for Chatty.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2013, 09:34 AM
oh, but didn't you read? NDSU would just be a small speedbump for Chatty.

Chattown notwithstanding, UTC is a decent football team. The biggest knock on them the past few seasons has been a complete inability to close out football games. That appears to not be an issue this year.

Saint3333
November 5th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I could have said Furman 2001 and 2004. I could have said 2000, 2001, 2010, 2011 Georgia Southern. I could have said 2003 or 2007 Wofford.

GSU 2000 and GSU and Furman 2001, and maybe GSU 2011 I can agree with, the others not so much compared to what App had 2005-2009.

SM/JSU
November 5th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Samford will win out and win socon title out right. Have been on the road for over a month. They are the best team in socon THIS year.xnodxxnodxxnodx

CID1990
November 5th, 2013, 10:12 AM

Being an ASU football fan is the easiest thing in the world. Nobody cares about or is impressed by you OR your sour grapes.

I have infinitely more respect for the WCU fans on here since they truly know what it means to be a fan through thick AND thin.

CID1990
November 5th, 2013, 10:14 AM

I still think Sammy is a horse length out in front of Chatty on this one. I am expecting a deep run out of them in the playoffs. I also expect them to beat both Wofford and Chatty.

walliver
November 5th, 2013, 10:14 AM

I haven't seen UTC play this year (other than the last quarter of the UTM game), but Wofford and Sammy have both been inconsistent this year. WC waits to the second half to start playing, and Summerlin has had some bad throws in the first half the last two weeks. Sammy has the potential to match up well with NDSU physically, but needs to play a full error-free game. Wofford's 3 QB rotation hasn't worked well, but hopefully the QB situation will sort itself out this week.

UTC has had great talent the last few years, but has had trouble winning the big game. Beating ASU is a step in the right direction, but beating a 2-7 team may be a little short of a complete reversal. We'll know a lot more about Chatty after the next two weeks.

2013 is the tenth anniversary of 2003 when the SoCon only had one team in the playoffs (none from the former "Big 3"), but the champion did make it to the semis. The Big 3 all did well the next year. With the right bracket (no Fargo trips), I could see any of the 3 making the semis, but I doubt any would make the finals - on the other hand, that's why we play the games.

walliver
November 5th, 2013, 10:17 AM
I still think Sammy is a horse length out in front of Chatty on this one. I am expecting a deep run out of them in the playoffs. I also expect them to beat both Wofford and Chatty.

Prognostication is easy when done in retrospect. :D

As much as I would like Sammy to lose another conference game, I don't think it will happen if Truss stays healthy.

CID1990
November 5th, 2013, 10:30 AM

As much as I would like Sammy to lose another conference game, I don't think it will happen if Truss stays healthy.

Thanks- just call me the Swami

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2013, 10:37 AM

None of the four teams in the running have easy roads. I do like Furman's position though. They do not have anything to lose, as they are the only of the four teams that really wasn't expected to be in the conversation at this point in the season.

Horseshoe App
November 5th, 2013, 01:07 PM
No sour grapes. That was just directed at the poster who has sour grapes toward anything involving ASU or GSU. Yes, we are not that good this year and I accept that. It is just funny that certain posters enjoy attacking anything ASU does with great passion.

Being an ASU football fan is the easiest thing in the world. Nobody cares about or is impressed by you OR your sour grapes.

I have infinitely more respect for the WCU fans on here since they truly know what it means to be a fan through thick AND thin.

Horseshoe App
November 5th, 2013, 01:08 PM
So when was the last time you made the playoffs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4YLUVDPFbQ

http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/photos/0014/Warren_FG.jpg

citdog
November 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM
So when was the last time you made the playoffs?

why should that matter? the playoffs and the FCS are small time for yosefs. remember?

citdog
November 5th, 2013, 01:20 PM
No sour grapes. That was just directed at the poster who has sour grapes toward anything involving ASU or GSU. Yes, we are not that good this year and I accept that. It is just funny that certain posters enjoy attacking anything ASU does with great passion.

no sour grapes. if i had them they would be HUGE though.

http://mytimemattersblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/bye-tombstone.jpg

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Teams who have beaten teams with winning records at the time they played

Chattanooga 0
Wofford 1 (GSU)
Samford 2 (GSU and Wofford)

that's pretty indicative of how the Socon is right now. GSU may not even finish with a winning record, so the top socon teams may only have one win against winning teams at the end of the year.

SpeedkingATL
November 6th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Back to this weeks rankings:

1) UTC- Finally learning how to win in the 4th quarter.
2) Samford - Balanced team that now has to deal with the injury bug.
3) Wofford - A typical Ayers coached team.
4) Furman - Much improved during the 2nd half of the season.
5) The Citadel - Big win last week.
6) GaSo - Mash unit continues to struggle.
7) App State- Playing better but not much in the W column.
8) WCU - Got a gorilla off their back with big D1 win.
9) Elon - Waiting for the bus to the CAA.

This weeks games:
Co-GOTW- Sammy @ Furple - Sammy ran into a buzz saw against the Citdogs and have really put themselves on the hot seat. Furman has played progressively better each week and still has a chance in hell of getting the autobid. The injury bug has finally hit the Bulldogs and it will take their best effort to win this cheesefest. Both defenses play near their best as Samford wins a tough one 24-24. At least 7K will attend with 341 girls named "Buffy" in attendance.
Co-GOTW-Ankle-Biters @ Mocs - UTC proved that they can finally pull one out at The Rock in the 4th quarter and that has to have boosted their confidence. Wofford has been doing a lot of 1st half sleepwalking and better not do that against the Mocs. This is a tough one to pick as the loser will have a tough time making the playoff field. I've gotta think the Mocs win at home in another tight match 31-28. The Honey Mocs will continue their show after the game at the new Tattletails in Chattanooga. Bring Singles, no cover charge.
App State @ UGA - App will pick up a check for $400K while Aaron Murray tries to pad his impressive QB stats. If Gurley plays it might get ugly fast; if not it will just get ugly a little later. App is playing a little better these days and will give a good effort but this is a different level all together. No score prediction. Maybe App should wear their "Always Attack" jerseys for this one......ugh maybe not.
WCU @ GaSo - Usually this game is an easy pick; not this year. The Cats are playing their best football in a decade and they finally got the elusive D1 win. GaSo is a walking mash unit with a freshman QB and the hemi offense is playing like an inline four. Still this game is in Statesboro and there is a lot of pride and tradition there. I also believe it is homecoming and none of the GaSo players want to lose in front of their families and sweeties. GaSo wins an offensive show with a field goal on the last play of the game 34-32. Tourists tip = WCU fans, bring cameras to take pictures of the 6 NC banners.
THE Citadel @ Elon - The Citdogs are coming off a big win and Elon is coming from the National Spelling Bee. The Flames will have no answer for Ben Dupree and the military precision of the option. The Citdogs keep rolling with a 38-21 win. (Elon also lost the spelling bee by missing the spelling of the word "bellhop".)

Apphole
November 6th, 2013, 08:19 PM
why should that matter? the playoffs and the FCS are small time for yosefs. remember?

Very true.

Sandlapper Spike
November 8th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I don't know the extent of Truss' injury at this time. He went down, tried to return, but couldn't.

He actually returned and scored a touchdown, then left the game for good. I thought that was a bit strange.

Sandlapper Spike
November 8th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Western Carolina's last three games: at Georgia Southern, home against Furman, and the big finale in Boone.

I'm guessing WCU wins at least one of those three...