PDA

View Full Version : So how many fans does Coastal have this week

Tealblood
November 2nd, 2013, 08:29 PM
CCU - Charleston Southern

i am am sure a bunch of potential at larges don't warn the Big South taking 2 bids

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2013, 08:31 PM
I think the Big South, if they get 2 teams of 10+ wins, will get 2 in. It's hard to turn them away IMO

Tealblood
November 3rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Bump my own thread

got to think a bunch of fence sitters are hoping CCU makes big south a 1 bid league

49RFootballNow
November 3rd, 2013, 03:13 PM
Having watched both Coastal and Charleston So. in person two weeks in a row, I'd give the Chants a 60% chance to win this one. We were in it against Charleston So. till halfway through the fourth quarter, till then we were very much still in it. Against Coastal, pretty much after the first Chants score after halftime there seemed no way to come back from that point. I also felt we played a slightly better game against the Chants too, so add that in. It could go either way but I expect to see a Chants victory.

JMUNJ08
November 3rd, 2013, 03:17 PM
If its not close, Chuck is toast for the playoffs. A good game and they are at least in play. For me, I would love the Bucs to steal it and throw everyone in a tizzy (though my Dukes may be a loser in that scenario)

BlueHenSinfonian
November 3rd, 2013, 03:33 PM
If its not close, Chuck is toast for the playoffs. A good game and they are at least in play. For me, I would love the Bucs to steal it and throw everyone in a tizzy (though my Dukes may be a loser in that scenario)

I was trying to figure out (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?145955-CAA-Playoff-Picture-Week-10) how the CAA playoff bids will play out.

JMU's best shot is for W&M to drop the games against Delaware and Towson, and JMU pick up at least two more wins. If W&M makes it to 8 wins, JMU will likely have to make it to 9 to get in.

FordhamFan
November 3rd, 2013, 03:52 PM
I am certainly no fan. Let's go Charleston South. Get those pesky Chanticleers out of potential seed talk so my Rams can move on up!

ace93
November 3rd, 2013, 04:44 PM
I am certainly no fan. Let's go Charleston South. Get those pesky Chanticleers out of potential seed talk so my Rams can move on up!

Agreed. As much as I would like to root for a team led by a Fordham grad, I have to root against CofC in that one if it benefits us.

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2013, 05:10 PM
Ok, just to make tealblood happy, yes...I hope CCU cleans Chas Sou's clock.

Partially because of the playoff scenarios and partially because I am of the opinion that Chas Sou is overrated and should not be ranked and I am hoping they will be exposed.

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2013, 05:14 PM
Dislike both, but as an LU fan I'm leaning towards GO BUCS

CCU_Fan
November 3rd, 2013, 07:35 PM
The fact that anyone on this board believes this is going to be a game is hilarious. In the past 7 games CCU has put up 51,50,53,42,55,66 and 50 points. (many games not having starters in the majority of the 4th quarter besides liberty, which if anyone knows anything about FCS football is easily one of the toughest places to play in the country.) Yes, Charlotte was in the game for a little while last week. (One of their TDs coming during Garbage Time.) But without a HANDFUL of questionable P/Is on CCU. It very well could have been 30-3 at half, and it very would could have been 64-10 at the end of the game if it wasn't for a few other questionable offensive penalties by the Chanticleers. Not making excuses for our handful of sloppy plays, I'm just saying. xlolx

Charleston Southern on the other hand hasn't scored more than 35 points except once this entire season which came against Charlotte. (36) xeyebrowx

Yes you may put up a handful of points on CCU on your first couple drives, but once the defense settles in and plays their game. There isn't a team in the FCS that can stop this offense. xblehxxblehx

Good Luck Charleston Southern...but lets be honest...you beat VMI by 8 (25-17).....CCU beat VMI by 39(66-27)

NUMBERS. NEVER. LIE.

ElCid
November 3rd, 2013, 07:57 PM
This is the first real test Chuck South has had. The only comparable FCS games they have had were a confused El Cid the first game out, and a confused App St wandering in the wilderness between FCS and FBS dreams. CCU is going to knock them into tomorrow. Bank on it. With this go any wild dreams of Chuck South even entertaining an at large bid.

CID1990
November 4th, 2013, 07:01 AM
This is the first real test Chuck South has had. The only comparable FCS games they have had were a confused El Cid the first game out, and a confused App St wandering in the wilderness between FCS and FBS dreams. CCU is going to knock them into tomorrow. Bank on it. With this go any wild dreams of Chuck South even entertaining an at large bid.

I would agree that ASU and El Cid were probably not quality wins for CSU, and they eked both of those wins out.

However, CSU reminds me of a team that was very good once, and did just enough to win most of their games. I'm thinking about a Charlie Taaffe coached El Cid team. CSU runs a good option attack, and they have a "bend don't break" defense that stiffens up when the game is on the line. And they don't quit.

An earlier poster was correct- numbers don't lie, and CSU and CCU's common opponents would suggest that CCU is far and away the better team. But the other number that doesn't lie is 9-1. CSU seems to play down or up depending on what the case may be, but they have won their games and that is important. If ASU was sitting at 9-1 right now with only a loss to Montana, nobody would be talking about how Wofford is going to own them. CSU is going to have to earn respect in every game this season, and they know it. So I think they will play up to CCU this week. My prediction is that this game goes down to the last quarter and will be decided by 10 points or less. I think CSU will make more mistakes than CCU and that will be the difference in this game.

rokamortis
November 4th, 2013, 07:05 AM
I would agree that ASU and El Cid were probably not quality wins for CSU, and they eked both of those wins out.

However, CSU reminds me of a team that was very good once, and did just enough to win most of their games. I'm thinking about a Charlie Taaffe coached El Cid team. CSU runs a good option attack, and they have a "bend don't break" defense that stiffens up when the game is on the line. And they don't quit.

An earlier poster was correct- numbers don't lie, and CSU and CCU's common opponents would suggest that CCU is far and away the better team. But the other number that doesn't lie is 9-1. CSU seems to play down or up depending on what the case may be, but they have won their games and that is important. If ASU was sitting at 9-1 right now with only a loss to Montana, nobody would be talking about how Wofford is going to own them. CSU is going to have to earn respect in every game this season, and they know it. So I think they will play up to CCU this week. My prediction is that this game goes down to the last quarter and will be decided by 10 points or less. I think CSU will make more mistakes than CCU and that will be the difference in this game.

I think CSU is going to give us a game. They've also played spoiler before for us, so I am not underestimating them although some appear to be.

IBleedYellow
November 4th, 2013, 08:04 AM
The fact that anyone on this board believes this is going to be a game is hilarious. In the past 7 games CCU has put up 51,50,53,42,55,66 and 50 points. (many games not having starters in the majority of the 4th quarter besides liberty, which if anyone knows anything about FCS football is easily one of the toughest places to play in the country.) Yes, Charlotte was in the game for a little while last week. (One of their TDs coming during Garbage Time.) But without a HANDFUL of questionable P/Is on CCU. It very well could have been 30-3 at half, and it very would could have been 64-10 at the end of the game if it wasn't for a few other questionable offensive penalties by the Chanticleers. Not making excuses for our handful of sloppy plays, I'm just saying. xlolx

Charleston Southern on the other hand hasn't scored more than 35 points except once this entire season which came against Charlotte. (36) xeyebrowx

Yes you may put up a handful of points on CCU on your first couple drives, but once the defense settles in and plays their game. There isn't a team in the FCS that can stop this offense. xblehxxblehx

Good Luck Charleston Southern...but lets be honest...you beat VMI by 8 (25-17).....CCU beat VMI by 39(66-27)

NUMBERS. NEVER. LIE.

Tell me, what top 10 defenses have you guys stopped?

Sam Houston State has stated this the past two years, and look how that turned out for them.

ccd494
November 4th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I'm rooting for Chuck South. I want more southern teams in that may have to play in Orono in December.

Bison56
November 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I'm rooting for Chuck South. I want more southern teams in that may have to play in Orono in December.

As much as I love the noise of the Fargodome I still miss watching teams from the south freeze in the wide open flatland of Fargo.

IBleedYellow
November 4th, 2013, 10:42 AM
As much as I love the noise of the Fargodome I still miss watching teams from the south freeze in the wide open flatland of Fargo.

I went to the EIU vs SDSU game last year at CAS. It was awesome. The EIU players wanted nothing to do with the cold and gave up in the first 10 minutes of the game.

B.T.C.
November 4th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I'm really surprised anyone would find this game to have any probability of being close. I'm not saying it won't happen or can't happen, but the chances of this being a tight game throughout is really slim. Knock either teams' schedules all you want, the fact is that one team is of superior talent than the other. That isn't smack talk. It just is what it is. CSU's record is an enigma. They've played some close games against teams that weren't very good.

CCU can't do a ton about their schedule either, but damn, if you're going to win you may as well drop 50+ each week and shut teams out in the second half like CCU seems to do pretty regularly this season.

I've said this before on Coastal's fan site (coastalfans.com) -- the only way a team beats us is by leading us at halftime by at least 14 points (and the Liberty game even puts that number in question of being higher). Short of that, they're not going to have a shot. Adjustments are made at halftime like few other teams can and the offense scores on almost every drive.

IBleedYellow
November 4th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I'm really surprised anyone would find this game to have any probability of being close. I'm not saying it won't happen or can't happen, but the chances of this being a tight game throughout is really slim. Knock either teams' schedules all you want, the fact is that one team is of superior talent than the other. That isn't smack talk. It just is what it is. CSU's record is an enigma. They've played some close games against teams that weren't very good.

CCU can't do a ton about their schedule either, but damn, if you're going to win you may as well drop 50+ each week and shut teams out in the second half like CCU seems to do pretty regularly this season.

I've said this before on Coastal's fan site (coastalfans.com) -- the only way a team beats us is by leading us at halftime by at least 14 points (and the Liberty game even puts that number in question of being higher). Short of that, they're not going to have a shot. Adjustments are made at halftime like few other teams can and the offense scores on almost every drive.

Fargo wants you there ASAP. Hoping for a semifinal game.

gotts
November 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Novemberists?

B.T.C.
November 4th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Fargo wants you there ASAP. Hoping for a semifinal game.

I'd love for us to be in Fargo. I don't for a second think we're better or that we'd have a good shot at beating you (on any field, let alone AT Fargo)...but there are few other teams that you can hold your head up high losing to than the Bison. I'd love for us to get that shot and, if we didn't find a way to scrap out a win, at least we could learn from it and see how the best of the best does it.

rokamortis
November 4th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I'd love for us to be in Fargo. I don't for a second think we're better or that we'd have a good shot at beating you (on any field, let alone AT Fargo)...but there are few other teams that you can hold your head up high losing to than the Bison. I'd love for us to get that shot and, if we didn't find a way to scrap out a win, at least we could learn from it and see how the best of the best does it.

I'd rather see them in Frisco :)

B.T.C.
November 4th, 2013, 11:28 AM
I'd rather see them in Frisco :)

Agreed! But one of my Board of Directors is at NDSU, so I could maybe somehow make a 'business trip'... ;)

Frisco, not so much.

IBleedYellow
November 4th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Quick question:

How many times have opponents been in the red zone against you this year?

rokamortis
November 4th, 2013, 11:37 AM

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/704/p1

IBleedYellow
November 4th, 2013, 11:41 AM

Although the percentage isn't very nice. 80% if they reach the 20s....

EDIT: NO this was not an attempt to state "Nah nah nah nah nah nah we're better than you at a cherrypicked stat!" I honestly was curious the answer and was amazed when I found us at 9. I also didn't even know this stat was tracked by the NCAA.

B.T.C.
November 4th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I'm not positive what our first half / second half splits are, but for the second half of games our Points For / Points Against is now something along the lines of 206 / 70. (Avg. of 23 / 8)

rokamortis
November 4th, 2013, 12:07 PM

Although the percentage isn't very nice. 80% if they reach the 20s....

EDIT: NO this was not an attempt to state "Nah nah nah nah nah nah we're better than you at a cherrypicked stat!" I honestly was curious the answer and was amazed when I found us at 9. I also didn't even know this stat was tracked by the NCAA.

It is what it is. I don't like a lot of the stat / record arguments. We know our defense gives up points but so far has responded well in the second half ... so we can't really compare stats with a defensive minded team.

MarkCCU
November 5th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Agreed. As much as I would like to root for a team led by a Fordham grad, I have to root against CofC in that one if it benefits us.

CofC doesn't have football.

Sent from my iPhone

MarkCCU
November 5th, 2013, 12:47 PM
The CCU contingent have spoken well. I see this being a good game and it may be close, but ultimately CCU is stronger than CSU this year.

Sent from my iPhone

chantman
November 6th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Hoping for a CCU beatdown. Remember, you can't spell SUCKS without CSU.

MarkCCU
November 8th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Any of you Coastal fellas going to come to the Toilet Bowl tomorrow?

CoastalFan2005
November 8th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Any of you Coastal fellas going to come to the Toilet Bowl tomorrow?

I think we're bringing a fairly large number of fans. Several of us from CoastalFans will be there, and I believe they're bringing two buses full of students down as well.

MarkCCU
November 8th, 2013, 08:17 AM
I think we're bringing a fairly large number of fans. Several of us from CoastalFans will be there, and I believe they're bringing two buses full of students down as well.

That's awesome. If you guys are tailgating or anything, let me know. I'll pm you my number. I'd love to meet up with some fans.

bodoyle
November 8th, 2013, 08:52 AM
We're tailgating at a local CCU guys house.

CoastalFan2005
November 8th, 2013, 09:06 AM
That's awesome. If you guys are tailgating or anything, let me know. I'll pm you my number. I'd love to meet up with some fans.

A poster who goes by Dabnus Brickey on CoastalFans lives right around the corner from CSU, so we're doing most of our tailgating at his place before the game. PM me your number, though, and we'll try to meet up once we get to the stadium.

91Niner
November 8th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Really? 30-3? You're dreaming. CCU's offense is REALLY good, but your D is average at best. Charlotte's offense (full of freshmen) moved up and down the field all day (500+ yards). Also, if,if, if......if Charlotte hadn't thrown 2 picks in the red zone (1 on the goal line with Charlotte trailing 24-18 late in the 2nd and 1 on the 6 yard line early in the 3rd) the game would have been ~even in to at least late 3rd quarter.

rokamortis
November 8th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Really? 30-3? You're dreaming. CCU's offense is REALLY good, but your D is average at best. Charlotte's offense (full of freshmen) moved up and down the field all day (500+ yards). Also, if,if, if......if Charlotte hadn't thrown 2 picks in the red zone (1 on the goal line with Charlotte trailing 24-18 late in the 2nd and 1 on the 6 yard line early in the 3rd) the game would have been ~even in to at least late 3rd quarter.

Nevermind this guy, I have my doubts if he is really a coastal fan. Looks like someone just trying to stir things up.

MarkCCU
November 8th, 2013, 11:04 AM
A poster who goes by Dabnus Brickey on CoastalFans lives right around the corner from CSU, so we're doing most of our tailgating at his place before the game. PM me your number, though, and we'll try to meet up once we get to the stadium.

Cool. I recognize the name. I'm OtterCCU on Coastalfans. I live in Summerville, a good 20 minute drive.