PDA

View Full Version : Butler to Continue I-AA Program

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Good news, the I-AA program at Butler will continue. Interesting quote from the AD which says that not only will Butler compete at the Pioneer Football League, but compete as a "championship-seeking program"...what's that mean?

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Butler's struggling football program, winless last year and 5-38 the past four seasons, was given a reprieve Thursday following recommendations from a study panel and first-year coach Jeff Voris.

The university has begun addressing the recommendations, which include increasing salaries and upgrading facilities for the Division I-AA program, athletic director Barry Collier said.

"We are dedicated to building our football program into one that can not only compete in the Pioneer Football League but indeed become a championship-seeking program," Collier said.

Last year, Butler appointed a 15-member commission to look at the program and fired coach Kit Cartwright, who was 7-36 in four years with the Bulldogs. Voris, a four-year starting quarterback at DePauw, was hired after five seasons as the coach at Carroll College in Wisconsin.

A 30-20 win over Hanover last month snapped an 18-game losing streak, which at the time was tied for the longest in Division I. The Bulldogs are 2-3 this season.

"Now that we know specifically what football needs to succeed, we can address those needs," Collier said.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=135306

dbackjon
October 5th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Good news for Butler!!

UAalum72
October 5th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Good news, the I-AA program at Butler will continue. Interesting quote from the AD which says that not only will Butler compete at the Pioneer Football League, but compete as a "championship-seeking program"...what's that mean?

Actual press release on the Butler web site opens with

" Butler University administrators today reaffirmed their long-term support for the football program and vowed to do what it takes to field a championship-seeking team in the Pioneer Football League."

doesn't sound like a national-championship-seeking team

GeauxColonels
October 6th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Good choice for Butler! I think any school dropping football is usually making a terrible mistake.

DetroitFlyer
October 7th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Amazing what a win over the Dayton Flyers can do for a program!