PDA

View Full Version : Question about New I-AA Programs

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Example...Old Dominion starts football. They are Div I in every other sport within their conference, which they are. What do they do year one? Do they become independents or do they hop full-throttle into the conference?

I remember Southeastern Louisiana being an independent for two years with a limited SLC schedule and then coming into the conference the third year.

How does this work? I'm not talking about Div IIs moving up to I-AA. I'm talking about up-start I-AA programs from institutions already with a Div I footing...

dbackjon
October 5th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Depends on the conference - no rules that I am aware of. But the going indy for a year or two seems to be common.

UAalum72
October 5th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Old Dominion has said they will bring in recruits to redshirt in the fall of 2008, kick off football in 2009, and begin playing a full CAA conference schedule in 2011.

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Do you think there are conferences (i.e the SLC) that have rules related to having to be full scholarship (63) in order to be in the league?

blukeys
October 5th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Example...Old Dominion starts football. They are Div I in every other sport within their conference, which they are. What do they do year one? Do they become independents or do they hop full-throttle into the conference?

I remember Southeastern Louisiana being an independent for two years with a limited SLC schedule and then coming into the conference the third year.

How does this work? I'm not talking about Div IIs moving up to I-AA. I'm talking about up-start I-AA programs from institutions already with a Div I footing...

In the case of Old Dominion I believe they will play a D-3, D-2 schedule initially. There are many quality D-3, D-2 programs locally and I don't see them having a problem getting games until they are ready to join the CAA. Their plan is excellent and I see them being competitive from the first year.

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Looked up SELA's schedule from their first two years before heading into the SLC...

SELA's first schedule included five sub-Div I squads, Texas St, McN, NWST, then I-AA Troy St (last year in I-AA, I believe), non scholarship Jacksonville and then PVA&M (which I don't believe went full scholly til 2004). They did go on the road to two of those sub-Div I squads (Henderson St, St.Mary's).

SELA's second schedule featured eight Div I-AA teams (one of which was non-scholly) and then three sub-Div I teams. Three SLC games that year as well...

Sly Fox
October 5th, 2006, 08:14 PM
There are also plenty of non-CAA I-AAs for ODU to schedule to ease them into conference play. I'd be shocked if by year two they weren't playing at least 5 or 6 I-AAs.

rokamortis
October 5th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Coastal started off playing many DII and non-scholly I-AA schools along with the Big South slate - but it is such a small and weak conference that it wasn't that big of a deal.

Tealblood
October 5th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I remember when Coastal started we could not have more than 15 schollies in class per year so year 1 we had 15 then year 2 we went to 30 year 3 it was around 43-45 this being our 4th year it is the first year we have the maximun # of schollies

GeauxLions94
October 5th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Looked up SELA's schedule from their first two years before heading into the SLC...

SELA's first schedule included five sub-Div I squads, Texas St, McN, NWST, then I-AA Troy St (last year in I-AA, I believe), non scholarship Jacksonville and then PVA&M (which I don't believe went full scholly til 2004). They did go on the road to two of those sub-Div I squads (Henderson St, St.Mary's).

SELA's second schedule featured eight Div I-AA teams (one of which was non-scholly) and then three sub-Div I teams. Three SLC games that year as well...

I think we had the choice of entering the Southland right away, but didn't due the plan of gradually building schollies the first four years. Hiring Hal Mumme changed all that and there was an upgrade in the 2003 schedule (McNeese which was No. 1 when we played them, Troy which was I-A and Northwestern State). We had about 30 scholarships (about 15 more than previously planned) in 2003 and were at 63 (I think) by the 2004 year.

Hansel
October 5th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Do you think there are conferences (i.e the SLC) that have rules related to having to be full scholarship (63) in order to be in the league?
Big Sky supposedly requires ~60+ scholies

GannonFan
October 5th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Technically speaking, ODU will be a member of the CAA right away when they begin in 2009. However, they won't be playing a full slate of conference games and will therefore be ineligible for the conference title for 2-3 years until they do so. But they will not, technically, be an independent.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Technically speaking, ODU will be a member of the CAA right away when they begin in 2009. However, they won't be playing a full slate of conference games and will therefore be ineligible for the conference title for 2-3 years until they do so. But they will not, technically, be an independent.

How can you be counted in the conference standings if you do not play a full schedule? That just doesn't make sense to me. They should count as an independent if that be the case...

th0m
October 6th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Just so they can chime in on the CAA bragging battles ;)

arkstfan
October 6th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Obviously not every league has the same rules, but it is common for a league to have a rule that says if the conference sponsors a championship in a sport that any member sponsoring that sport must play that sport in the league.

In a conference where adding a member means adding a game (ie. 7 member conference playing 6 game slate a team adding football would require a 7 game schedule) it is generally to the benefit of all to phase the team in over a year or two because the current members may or may not be able to clear agreeable dates and it is good for the incoming school because it allows them to schedule appropriately for a fledgling program.

By way of example. Current rumor is that Western Kentucky will play something like 7 I-A games in 2007, probably four against Sun Belt competition and might play a full Sun Belt slate in 2008 before joining in 2009. Of course while Belt has such a rule, it actually isn't triggered in 07 or 08 because they won't be classified I-A.

89Hen
October 6th, 2006, 09:32 AM
In the case of Old Dominion I believe they will play a D-3, D-2 schedule initially. There are many quality D-3, D-2 programs locally and I don't see them having a problem getting games until they are ready to join the CAA.
I'm not so sure about that. I would imagine their first year will look more like Coastal's first year. CCU only had a couple DII's each of their first two years. They did play some non-schollie, but I think it would be a mistake to play a lot of DII or III's. If I were putting ODU's schedule together I'd shoot for...

Christopher Newport
Virginia State (or Union)
Mars Hill
Liberty
VMI
Gardner-Webb
Davidson
Norfolk State
William & Mary
Richmond
James Madison

Even though they'd struggle with some of those, especially the CAA games, baptism through fire seemed to work for Coastal.

89Hen
October 6th, 2006, 09:37 AM
By way of example. Current rumor is that Western Kentucky will play something like 7 I-A games in 2007, probably four against Sun Belt competition and might play a full Sun Belt slate in 2008 before joining in 2009.
Then we can hate the Hilltoppers like we hate the Indians. :p ;)