PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network Week 9 Top 25

melloware13
October 28th, 2013, 11:58 AM
http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/cfoot225poll.aspx

1. North Dakota State
2. Eastern Illinois
3. Eastern Washington
4. McNeese State
5. Montana State
6. Coastal Carolina
7. Towson
8. Sam Houston State
9. Fordham
10. Maine
11. Youngstown State
12. Montana
13. Bethune-Cookman
14. Northern Arizona
15. Samford
16. New Hampshire
17. Wofford
18. Central Arkansas
19. South Dakota State
20. Villanova
21. Delaware
22. Lehigh
23. Tennessee State
24. Charleston Southern
25. Southeastern Louisiana

ORV: Northern Iowa 360, James Madison 325, William & Mary 259, Jacksonville State 177, Chattanooga 175, Southern Illinois 81, Princeton 68, Georgia Southern 57, Harvard 37, Southern Utah 33, South Carolina State 24, Jackson State 18, UT Martin 18, Portland State 17, Illinois State 11, Sacramento State 7, Stony Brook 6, Cal Poly 6, South Dakota 4, Alabama State 4, Alcorn State 4, Eastern Kentucky 2

dbackjon
October 28th, 2013, 12:01 PM
What a flippin joke - Montana STILL ahead of NAU?

Wofford at 17?

SDSU at 19?

SELA only at 25?

PAllen
October 28th, 2013, 12:19 PM
As I've been saying every week. Lehigh's too high, and Fordham's too low.

RichH2
October 28th, 2013, 12:21 PM
As I've been saying every week. Lehigh's too high, and Fordham's too low.

+1

bluehenbillk
October 28th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Too High: Montana St (I have at 11), UCA, SDSU & Villanova (I have none of them ranked)
Too Low: Maine (I have at 3), and SELA (I have at 15)

FormerPokeCenter
October 28th, 2013, 12:23 PM
McNeese is too high, based on the UNI score...SELA is too low....Samford is too low...

IBleedYellow
October 28th, 2013, 12:26 PM
McNeese is too high, based on the UNI score...SELA is too low....Samford is too low...

The Pokes are a T10 team, T5 I'm not sure about. When you guys got owned by UNI it was to a team that had lots of talent that still had spirits up, now their talent is hurt and their spirits are torn down even further.

BEAR
October 28th, 2013, 12:26 PM
UCA is a puzzle right now. All those freshmen are showing a ton of chemistry. Yeah, they are missing size but not speed and somehow they are in sync with that backup QB. This lot wasn't meant to hit the field until next year. NOT the same team that was on the field against McNeese at all. New names all around. WOW! I'm impressed with their efforts. Top 25 not so sure. but Top 30 or so yeah.

FargoBison
October 28th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Amazing how much credit CCU gets for beating a bunch of mediocre and weak teams. They are the only top 10 team that has yet to defeat a ranked team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Amazing how much credit CCU gets for beating a bunch of mediocre and weak teams. They are the only top 10 team that has yet to defeat a ranked team.

They've been dominant in all their wins except Liberty. The Chanticleers have done everything that could be reasonably asked of them imo...

FargoBison
October 28th, 2013, 12:45 PM
They've been dominant in all their wins except Liberty. The Chanticleers have done everything that could be reasonably asked of them imo...

Beat somebody and then I might care about all their dominant wins.

They've struggled with any decent team they've played. Their placement in this poll should be swapped with Maine.

JMUNJ08
October 28th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I'm glad JMU has 70 more votes than W&M. They clearly only beat us by 10 which does not make them a better team or anything...

MTfan4life
October 28th, 2013, 08:55 PM

People like to look at their worst game too much. I like to look at their best games. They beat Sam Houston, a team that beat Eastern Washington by two touchdowns. Also, they handed South Florida their biggest blowout of the season and have scored the most points on them this season. South Florida has played Miami, Michigan State, and Louisville. Central Arkansas has competed with or beat every one they've played except McNeese, who blew them out of the water. They are also APB's biggest FCS loss by 31 points.

Tealblood
October 29th, 2013, 02:47 PM

They've struggled with any decent team they've played. Their placement in this poll should be swapped with Maine.

not really arguing but who have we struggled with

FargoBison
October 29th, 2013, 04:06 PM

Liberty for sure(I did watch that game) and maybe SC State.

I mean no offense to CCU, you can't really control how your non-conference opponents preform. But I don't think they should be ranked over Maine, EIU, SHSU, EWU, McNeese, Fordham, NDSU and Towson just yet. Those teams all have some pretty solid wins.

Grizalltheway
October 29th, 2013, 04:14 PM
What a flippin joke - Montana STILL ahead of NAU?

Wofford at 17?

SDSU at 19?

SELA only at 25?

I think I'm going to get in touch with folks at TSN and let them know there's a poster who's going to have an aneurysm if they keep doing that. xlolx

rokamortis

I mean no offense to CCU, you can't really control how your non-conference opponents preform. But I don't think they should be ranked over Maine, EIU, SHSU, EWU, McNeese, Fordham, NDSU and Towson just yet. Those teams all have some pretty solid wins.

I haven't checked, but are you saying each of the teams you mentioned beat a team that is currently ranked in the top 25 or was at one point?

The other thing to consider is that Coastal plays a full DI schedule and hasn't lost a game. Sure we can't help how our OOC schedule has performed but we've so far have taken care of business. That should account for something vs teams with 'good' losses.

Franks Tanks
Who voted for Lehigh after this week?

Also Princeton should be in the top 25. I realize Lehigh beat Princeton, but that isn't the only factor in determining who is worthy to be ranked.

BEAR
October 29th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Where in the top 25 does SELA belong?

They are a good team. They still have to play:
McNeese- on fire. Will be VERY tough to beat the Cowboys.
UCA- With a freshman laden team, this is the most likely win but UCA has found a new chemistry. Still the game they will most likely win.
SHSU- Strong but coasting. Could win this one.
SELA could go 1-2 or 2-1 in this stretch, either is understandable.

One game at a time.

FargoBison
October 29th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I haven't checked, but are you saying each of the teams you mentioned beat a team that is currently ranked in the top 25 or was at one point?

The other thing to consider is that Coastal plays a full DI schedule and hasn't lost a game. Sure we can't help how our OOC schedule has performed but we've so far have taken care of business. That should account for something vs teams with 'good' losses.

They've all beaten a top 25 opponent or an FBS team. In most cases they have multiple good wins. I think SHSU is the only team that has one quality win but that was a really good win over EWU.

My main issue with CCU is I don't think they've played anyone that is really good. To me the #1 criteria in ranking teams is quality wins. I will reward teams for winning and taking care of business but at some point you run into teams that are taking care of business and have quality wins. Thus in my poll CCU has basically sat around #10 for the past few weeks.

lionsrking2
October 29th, 2013, 04:47 PM
SELA could go 1-2 or 2-1 in this stretch, either is understandable.

One game at a time.

We could also go 3-0 or 0-3 ... we're good enough to run the table, and the teams we're playing are good enough to beat us if we don't play well. It's college football.

BEAR
October 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM
We could also go 3-0 or 0-3 ... we're good enough to run the table, and the teams we're playing are good enough to beat us if we don't play well. It's college football.

You are good enough to run the table? xeyebrowx Isn't this the same thing the SLC heard from the Lions last year before their big stretch of tough games? We'll see. I gave you the benefit of the doubt with 2-1 or 1-2. xthumbsupx

lionsrking2
October 29th, 2013, 06:23 PM
You are good enough to run the table? xeyebrowx Isn't this the same thing the SLC heard from the Lions last year before their big stretch of tough games? We'll see. I gave you the benefit of the doubt with 2-1 or 1-2. xthumbsupx

First of all, I don't recall what was said or not said last year. Secondly, this isn't last year - not even close. And yes, we're good enough to run the table ... whether we get it done or not, remains to seen.

BEAR
October 29th, 2013, 06:55 PM
First of all, I don't recall what was said or not said last year. Secondly, this isn't last year - not even close. And yes, we're good enough to run the table ... whether we get it done or not, remains to seen.

You are confidently unsure of your team huh? xlolx

Oh wait, let me give you the Cowboy line, "We have nothing. We can't cover anybody. We have QB issues. We need help at nearly every position. We need a coach." Did that cover everything Cowboy fans? xeyebrowx If not, please pile on the sandbags for this Lions fan who thinks his team could RUN the table. Good luck Lions. You're gonna need it. I'm confident you'll lose this Saturday. And I really really want you to win!

CoastalFan2005
October 29th, 2013, 08:00 PM

Actually, that bolded part in the first quote is not correct. EKU was ranked #25 when we beat them 51-32 (which was the most points ever scored against them in their home stadium) in Week 3.

Offensively, we're currently scoring 47.4 PPG (tops in the entire FCS) and are beating our opponents by an average of 21 PPG. We're averaging 496.63 yds. of offense per game. Our red-zone scoring percentage is 96%. Defensively, our first-string defense has allowed a total of 48 points in the second half of games this season and did not allow a single second half touchdown to be scored in games 3-6 this season. We have a Payton watch-list RB and a Buchanan watch-list LB.

I'll grant you that we struggled a bit with Liberty, but I'll also qualify it by saying that we hung 55 points & rolled up 554 yds. of offense on a team that had not lost a conference home game since 2006 and whose defense was ranked in the Top 10 of several statistical categories. Liberty is a team that is a touchdown or two away from being undefeated themselves, but they've got some problems with conditioning & being able to close out games. Our guys wore them down because they were clearly the better-conditioned team on the field (as we have been all season so far).

As for our schedule - yeah, the Big South as a whole sucks, we get it. CCU has made every effort possible to leave the Big South and hasn't found anyone willing to take us. So, we're just doing the best we can by beating the tar out of just about every team we play. So bash our schedule all you want - but don't think we're a bad team just because some of the teams we've played are bad.

FargoBison
October 29th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Actually, that bolded part in the first quote is not correct. EKU was ranked #25 when we beat them 51-32 (which was the most points ever scored against them in their home stadium) in Week 3.

Offensively, we're currently scoring 47.4 PPG (tops in the entire FCS) and are beating our opponents by an average of 21 PPG. We're averaging 496.63 yds. of offense per game. Our red-zone scoring percentage is 96%. Defensively, our first-string defense has allowed a total of 48 points in the second half of games this season and did not allow a single second half touchdown to be scored in games 3-6 this season. We have a Payton watch-list RB and a Buchanan watch-list LB.

I'll grant you that we struggled a bit with Liberty, but I'll also qualify it by saying that we hung 55 points & rolled up 554 yds. of offense on a team that had not lost a conference home game since 2006 and whose defense was ranked in the Top 10 of several statistical categories. Liberty is a team that is a touchdown or two away from being undefeated themselves, but they've got some problems with conditioning & being able to close out games. Our guys wore them down because they were clearly the better-conditioned team on the field (as we have been all season so far).

As for our schedule - yeah, the Big South as a whole sucks, we get it. CCU has made every effort possible to leave the Big South and hasn't found anyone willing to take us. So, we're just doing the best we can by beating the tar out of just about every team we play. So bash our schedule all you want - but don't think we're a bad team just because some of the teams we've played are bad.

For one thing EKU is not ranked right now. I don't really keep track or care where a team was ranked weeks ago.

For the record I said in the post you quoted that CCU has no control over how the team's they play perform in their other games. CCU in my opinion scheduled admirably, as of right now it just hasn't panned out. I see you do play South Carolina in the future....a competitive game there would certainly go a long ways of telling us more about CCU. I won't hold it against CCU if they don't impress because USC is a damn good program but it is a chance to play with house money.

I certainly don't regard CCU as being a bad team, in my very first post in this thread I said they should be swapped with Maine and Maine is ranked 10th in this poll. This isn't like a San Diego situation where I don't think they should be in the playoffs or even ranked, this more like at the moment I don't think CCU deserves to be seeded.

CoastalFan2005
October 29th, 2013, 08:58 PM
For one thing EKU is not ranked right now. I don't really keep track or care where a team was ranked weeks ago.

For the record I said in the post you quoted that CCU has no control over how the team's they play perform in their other games. CCU in my opinion scheduled admirably, as of right now it just hasn't panned out. I see you do play South Carolina in the future....a competitive game there would certainly go a long ways of telling us more about CCU. I won't hold it against CCU if they don't impress because USC is a damn good program but it is a chance to play with house money.

I certainly don't regard CCU as being a bad team, in my very first post in this thread I said they should be swapped with Maine and Maine is ranked 10th in this poll. This isn't like a San Diego situation where I don't think they should be in the playoffs or even ranked, this more like at the moment I don't think CCU deserves to be seeded.

So, by that logic - NDSU has only beaten one ranked team? That honestly doesn't make much sense. UNI was a top 5 team when they played and almost beat you guys - now their season has fallen apart and they're unranked. I don't think anyone would discount their performance against you guys by saying, "Oh, well they're not ranked now, so who cares?"

I don't think I implied that you said we had control over how our opponents have played. I just thought I'd let you know that, for the most part, we've been doing exactly what we should to the "weaker" teams on our schedule (and, to some extent, the "tougher" teams) - beating the crap out of them.

If we end the season 11-1 with our lone loss being to SCAR, I don't see how we wouldn't be seeded.

R.A.
October 29th, 2013, 09:17 PM

SC State. The score was 27-20.

FargoBison
October 29th, 2013, 09:20 PM
So, by that logic - NDSU has only beaten one ranked team? That honestly doesn't make much sense. UNI was a top 5 team when they played and almost beat you guys - now their season has fallen apart and they're unranked. I don't think anyone would discount their performance against you guys by saying, "Oh, well they're not ranked now, so who cares?"

I don't think I implied that you said we had control over how our opponents have played. I just thought I'd let you know that, for the most part, we've been doing exactly what we should to the "weaker" teams on our schedule (and, to some extent, the "tougher" teams) - beating the crap out of them.

If we end the season 11-1 with our lone loss being to SCAR, I don't see how we wouldn't be seeded.

UNI and EKU are not in similar situations. EKU was hyped in preseason and didn't live up to it...at one point UNI was actually a great team this season. But their one problem is they lacked depth, a few key players go down and it all fell a part. That is what happens when a team plays a quality schedule...their flaws are fully exposed and they are challenged by adversity.

Maybe at the end of the year CCU will deserve to be seeded but for right now I think they are clearly on the outside looking in. If you want a seed and the advantages that go with it...beat somebody.

CoastalFan2005
October 29th, 2013, 09:43 PM
UNI and EKU are not in similar situations. EKU was hyped in preseason and didn't live up to it...at one point UNI was actually a great team this season. But their one problem is they lacked depth, a few key players go down and it all fell a part. That is what happens when a team plays a quality schedule...their flaws are fully exposed and they are challenged by adversity.

Maybe at the end of the year CCU will deserve to be seeded but for right now I think they are clearly on the outside looking in. If you want a seed and the advantages that go with it...beat somebody.

I'm just going by what you said. You said you don't care what a team WAS ranked - ergo, NDSU has only beaten one ranked team. So if I'm understanding you now, you do care about where teams were ranked earlier in the season?

We clearly don't have "somebody" on our schedule that we have an actual chance of beating, so feel free to go ahead and keep ignoring the things we're actually doing on the field in favor of looking down at us because our schedule's not that great. We're doing what we should do against the schedule we've got - sorry that's not enough for you.

FargoBison
October 29th, 2013, 10:00 PM
I'm just going by what you said. You said you don't care what a team WAS ranked - ergo, NDSU has only beaten one ranked team. So if I'm understanding you now, you do care about where teams were ranked earlier in the season?

We clearly don't have "somebody" on our schedule that we have an actual chance of beating, so feel free to go ahead and keep ignoring the things we're actually doing on the field in favor of looking down at us because our schedule's not that great. We're doing what we should do against the schedule we've got - sorry that's not enough for you.

I don't really care all that much. NDSU's resume is much deeper than one game with UNI anyway.

I still don't get how I am ignoring CCU when I am calling them the 10th best team in the country. That is pretty high praise for a team that I don't think has played a solid schedule. All I've said if you want more respect I need to see something more than just beating up on weak or mediocre opponents.

smallcollegefbfan
October 29th, 2013, 11:52 PM

I agree with that. I have seen both teams and while I do think CCU is a legit top 10-12 team I do think Maine is better and I am still skeptical of saying 10-12 for CCU until I see them against a top 20 team.

rokamortis
October 30th, 2013, 06:49 AM
It's all opinion anyway, so who cares. It only matters what the NCAA thinks at the end and I think they'll give us more credit than some of the people here. There is so much bias (intentional or not) that people think Liberty, EKU, and SC State are not good wins ... so be it. But I would like to point out that Superman's good win / bad loss sheet show us as having 3 good wins ... so I'll take it ;)

McNeese72
October 30th, 2013, 10:20 AM

Oh wait, let me give you the Cowboy line, "We have nothing. We can't cover anybody. We have QB issues. We need help at nearly every position. We need a coach." Did that cover everything Cowboy fans? xeyebrowx If not, please pile on the sandbags for this Lions fan who thinks his team could RUN the table. Good luck Lions. You're gonna need it. I'm confident you'll lose this Saturday. And I really really want you to win!

You forgot "running Qb's give our defense fits".

Doc

Edit: That's if we are talking about the Cowboys and not the Bears.

lionsrking2
October 30th, 2013, 10:33 AM

OK. Your opinion and concern is duly noted.

sharkeycox
October 30th, 2013, 10:38 AM

You forgot the most important aspect...we are really undersized on both sides of the line of scrimmage.xbawlingx

BEAR
October 30th, 2013, 11:46 AM
OK. Your opinion and concern is duly noted.

Don't worry. After this weekend you are welcome to come to Conway for an easy win and the exciting knowledge that that win will end UCA's post season aspirations. keep winning and who knows an at-large bid is in order.