PDA

View Full Version : ETSU ...

SoccerSmells
October 5th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Any updates from Johnson City on the potential return of football?

Perhaps if the Bucs return, the Big South Conference would be a full membership home. I think that's a good fit overall for what basically would be a startup program.

That would give the BSC:
Coastal Carolina
Charleston Southern
Presbyterian
Gardner-Webb
Liberty
VMI
ETSU

Ah if only Elon had stayed, there would be eight.

Sly Fox
October 5th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Of course you need to keep your administration in Conway from drooling over hobnobbing with the Wofford crowd for any of this to happen.

Based on what we've seen in news reports from the Tri-Cities, the process is underway whereby football can return. But its not going to happen overnight.

But it would make sense for them to head toward the Big South should they revive the program.

Mr. C
October 5th, 2006, 10:18 AM
More than likely, the Bucs would return to membership in the Southern Conference. The only reason that ETSU left the SoCon was because of the requirement that they have football. The SoCon's major issues were with ETSU president Paul Stanton, who is leaving. The return of ETSU would solve a lot of expansion-related problems for the SoCon and would renew rivalries that are important to Chattanooga and Appalachian State. The Big South would only be a last resort for the Bucs, who have realized for some time that the move to the Atlantic Sun was a BAD one.

FU97
October 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM
More than likely, the Bucs would return to membership in the Southern Conference. The only reason that ETSU left the SoCon was because of the requirement that they have football. The SoCon's major issues were with ETSU president Paul Stanton, who is leaving. The return of ETSU would solve a lot of expansion-related problems for the SoCon and would renew rivalries that are important to Chattanooga and Appalachian State. The Big South would only be a last resort for the Bucs, who have realized for some time that the move to the Atlantic Sun was a BAD one.

From speaking to people that were in the SoCon office, that bridge has been burned, bombed, and then nuked.

goasu984Life
October 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I think a lot of people have found that the A-Sun is a bad conference. G-Dub is moving to the Big South fulltime, too. I thought that was the move they should have made when they moved up anyway.

BigApp
October 5th, 2006, 12:17 PM
my :twocents: :

I don't think ETSU would ever be considered and asked back in the SoCon until they get a new stadium. That thing is embarassing.

MoreheadEagle
October 5th, 2006, 12:41 PM
my :twocents:
The OVC is still looking for a 12th member. ETSU would be a good fit IMO, with natural rivalries with Tenn-Tech and Austin Peay.

ChooChoo
October 5th, 2006, 02:43 PM
It's too bad if it's true that the SoCon has washed it's hands of ETSU, particularly with all the history. If they do get their program back and running I think they should definately approach the Big South. They, along with either of the two current non-schollies from the A-Sun, Jacksonville and Campbell (which is still a couple of years away from existing) would make a solid 8 team football conference, with 12 all together:
BIG SOUTH
VMI (VA)
Liberty (VA)
Gardner-Webb (NC)
Coastal Carolina (SC)
Presbyterian (SC)
Charleston Southern (SC)
East Tennesse St. (TN)
Campbell (NC) or
Jacksonville (FL)
------------------------
Radford (VA)
High Point (NC)
UNC-Asheville (NC)
Winthrop (SC)

So which of the two, Campbell or Jacksonville, has the best chance of offering enough scholarships?
Also, is Savannah State even an option?

CoastalFan2005
October 5th, 2006, 03:12 PM

For the Big South? I certainly hope not. The BSC would be xidiotx to even consider them.

MYTAPPY
October 5th, 2006, 03:43 PM
my :twocents: :

I don't think ETSU would ever be considered and asked back in the SoCon until they get a new stadium. That thing is embarassing.

I agree BigAppy, the Bucs do need a new facility. The Mini Barn has to go. I feared for my safety a couple of times when visitng for a football game. I was afraid the roof would cave in at any moment.:splat:

catamount man
October 5th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Don't let the idiots in Spartanburg (SoCon office, not Wofford) fool you. They'll take ETSU back in a minute once an outdoor stadium and the program is back on track. Even IF they went Big South, I couldn't see it being for a lengthy period of time. I've heard 2008 or 2009 is when football will kick back up. Didn't know Stanton was leaving though? Good, preferably with egg all over his face.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Sly Fox
October 5th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Based on what I've read in the fishwraps there in the Tri-Cities, a new stadium is necessary for the school to consider a revival. But then again, try raising money for a stadium with no guarantee you'll have a team.

And as for affiliation, if the Bucs join the Big South and CCU is still a member at that time (which would have some of our Chant posters nearly suicidal) then it might make more sense for them to stay where they are as opposed to going back to the more competitive SoCon. It will take several years to build them back up to where they can compete on the national stage even under the perfect circumstances.

IaaScribe
October 5th, 2006, 08:29 PM

Good lord I hope not. I was just down there a couple of weeks ago covering a game, and that place is nowhere near Division I level. Bad venue. Coach Lemon is going to have his work cut out for him getting that team to respectablity.

rokamortis
October 5th, 2006, 08:30 PM
And as for affiliation, if the Bucs join the Big South and CCU is still a member at that time (which would have some of our Chant posters nearly suicidal) then it might make more sense for them to stay where they are as opposed to going back to the more competitive SoCon.

Actually Sly I would rather be in a Big South conference with 7-8 decent teams and an autobid than move to the SoCon. That doesn't seem to be happening anytime in the near future and with Liberty saying they want to go I-A soon and other schools exploring their options I just don't see the Big South being stable enough to make it happen.

rokamortis
October 5th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Good lord I hope not. I was just down there a couple of weeks ago covering a game, and that place is nowhere near Division I level. Bad venue. Coach Lemon is going to have his work cut out for him getting that team to respectablity.

I know it would look like selling out for the Big South just to have more teams - but really why not? Most of the Big South schools play them now.

I think conference affiliation is one thing that would help SSU get back on track. The conference could stipulate conditions that need to be met and guide the school. Add them in as football only members but encourage all members to schedule SSU in other sports. If they make the necessary strides in x number of years then admit them as a full member. This would allow the Big South to be eligible for an autobid in as early as 2 years and consequently would be a more attractive league for other schools. Some would say that they would weaken an already weak Big South but 3/5 BSC schools play them this year anyway. The rest of the conference should make enough strides OOC that one school wouldn't bring us down.

Sly Fox
October 5th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Rok - For the record, we have never said we are going I-A soon. We just said that is where we are heading. 10-12 years is what most on campus believe is a reasonable time frame. By then who knows what the college landscape will look like.

But based on everything I've heard from most Chant fans, they seem infatuated with the SoCon and convinced the invitation is inevitable in a couple of months. My statement was based on the premise rolled out int he thread that CCU would still be in the Big South when ETSU was getting back on the field in several years. Hence my suicidal reference indicating things must not have gone down as expected by then. I think you know how I feel about keeping CCU in the Big South.

rokamortis
October 6th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Rok - For the record, we have never said we are going I-A soon. We just said that is where we are heading. 10-12 years is what most on campus believe is a reasonable time frame. By then who knows what the college landscape will look like.

But based on everything I've heard from most Chant fans, they seem infatuated with the SoCon and convinced the invitation is inevitable in a couple of months. My statement was based on the premise rolled out int he thread that CCU would still be in the Big South when ETSU was getting back on the field in several years. Hence my suicidal reference indicating things must not have gone down as expected by then. I think you know how I feel about keeping CCU in the Big South.

I've only read a few people that think an offer is inevitable - mostly not CCU fans. But in the grand scheme, the SoCon is a better conference than the Big South. I don't see why the Liberty fans give us such a hard time for exploring our options and aiming higher - much like your ambitions for I-A. Jerry has said he wants I-A in his lifetime and he's getting up there, I would have to think the move would ne done before 10-12 years.

OL FU
October 6th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I've only read a few people that think an offer is inevitable - mostly not CCU fans. But in the grand scheme, the SoCon is a better conference than the Big South. I don't see why the Liberty fans give us such a hard time for exploring our options and aiming higher - much like your ambitions for I-A. Jerry has said he wants I-A in his lifetime and he's getting up there, I would have to think the move would ne done before 10-12 years.

Good point

Sly Fox
October 6th, 2006, 07:35 PM
We just give you guys a hard time because we don't want you to go. We've already dealt with the Wofford & Elon moves and just when things start looking up we're about to lose another. Ugh.

And I'm dead serious that our plan for moving up is about 10-12 years right now. Of course that process could be sped up under the right circumstances. Obviously we're dumping quite a bit of cash into the program right now to begin the process. But Jerry believes he's going to be around awhile.

AppMan
October 6th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Ah if only Elon had stayed, there would be eight.

You can have them back!

walliver
October 6th, 2006, 07:51 PM
We've already dealt with the Wofford & Elon moves and just when things start looking up we're about to lose another. Ugh.

Wofford was never in the Big South. In fact, the Southern Conference is the only conference to which Wofford has ever belonged, For all of our NAIA and D-2 history we were independent. Wofford did have a site visit from the Big South shortly after moving to D-I, but it was generally understood that we were looking foir a football conference. At that time the Big South had no football plans.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Folks, first of all, ETSU is thinking in terms of an outdoor stadium for football. BTW, the Mini Dome apparantly is on its last legs. A couple of people have told me that the Buccos are thinking of literally demolishing it within a few years. Secondly, the conference office doesn't set expansion policy, the schools do. There are members who would accept ETSU with open arms (Chattanooga and App State, for example, and probably others like WCU, too). The bridges that were burned were burned by the soon to be gone Paul Stanton and the AD/ex-tennis coach (Stanton's bobo), who is currently under the gun and may not survive long. Don't assume that ETSU won't be back someday in the SoCon.

BigApp
October 7th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Folks, first of all, ETSU is thinking in terms of an outdoor stadium for football. BTW, the Mini Dome apparantly is on its last legs. A couple of people have told me that the Buccos are thinking of literally demolishing it within a few years.

Good. The only thing that place is good for is a dynamite convention.