PDA

View Full Version : Great Story on YSU 1993 National Championship Team in Today's Youngstown Vindicator

ValleyTalk
October 27th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Joe Scalzo, YSU beat writer for the Youngstown Vindicator, with the help of Jim Tressel and 4 former players, wrote a great week-by-week story on the 1993 Youngstown State national championship team. The players and Coach Tressel talk about each game, which includes a number of current FCS programs. I think many of you will enjoy this:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/oct/27/hushing-the-horns/

Go YSU!

penguinpower
October 30th, 2013, 04:28 AM
This was a neat article. I liked how the talked about how they went to Texas and got beat up and how they went to Idaho and thought the QB was a "prima donna". I also thought it was interesting that they wanted the rematch with Marshall. They were hoping for it. I also thought it was interesting that they weren't aware of the fact that they they had a home playoff bid and didn't thinl it was fair that they did. All they wanted was Marshall in the opposite bracket.

gumby013
October 30th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Good read. Thanks.

Lehigh'98
October 30th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Nice memories. I was a junior at Boardman that year and remember those times. YSU ruled the city. Tressel would come to speak to our football team personally. He did a great job of recruiting locally.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2013, 10:57 AM
SMITH: Tressel found out I only needed three yards to get the record, so he was like, ‘Go get the three yards so everyone can cheer.’ Well back then, we had something called “the best seat in the house,” which was this La-Z Boy chair that was right where the scoreboard is now. Well the play busts wide open and I ended up scoring. So I’m like, ‘Shoot, we’re winning big and I’m not going back in the game,’ so I threw the ball in the air after I scored and sat in the chair. Flags went down everywhere. Oh man, Tress was so hot, you could have fried an egg on his head.

Man oh man, this made me laugh and laugh and laugh.

dewey
October 30th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Great article! I love how when a program goes on a great run the entire community gets behind them.

Thanks for posting.

Dewey

Pards Rule
October 30th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Nice memories. I was a junior at Boardman that year and remember those times. YSU ruled the city. Tressel would come to speak to our football team personally. He did a great job of recruiting locally.
I know Boardman! I had to beg to place a Goddard School there as a Real Estate Mgr with them and it is doing very well! Enjoyed my times out in Youngstown. A doctor and his daughter are the franchisees there.

blueballs
October 30th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Nice article... thanks for sharing!

Bisonator
October 30th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Good read.

citdog
October 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM
http://umgopodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/2011-cheater.jpg

penguinpower
October 30th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Citidog,

Man you have some real hatred toward Tressel. The plusses outweigh the minuses with this guy. You can hear some of the stories.

He did the same thing Howard Schnellinburger did with Miami.

Daved
October 30th, 2013, 08:07 PM
The only people more honest than coaches are politicians.

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Good times for sure. Great memories. Lets do it again ! lol