PDA

View Full Version : Rhode Island Rams at #13 James Madison Dukes

JMU Duke Dog
October 5th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Here is an article from today's Daily News-Record out of Harrisonburg about the upcoming game for JMU's family weekend...

http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6643&CHID=3

JMU D-Line Expects Big Test Against Rams

By Mike Barber

HARRISONBURG -- Coming into the season, James Madison’s football team knew it had to rebuild its defensive line. The Dukes will learn just how successful that project was when they play Rhode Island on Saturday.

"They have not had the challenge they’ll have Saturday because they haven’t been attacked physically like they’ll be attacked physically all day," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said after practice Wednesday. "Any time you face a wishbone attack, they pound you for four quarters."

That’s just what JMU will face Saturday at 1:30 p.m. on parents’ day at a sold-out Bridgeforth Stadium when the Dukes (3-1 overall, 1-0 in the Atlantic 10) host the Rams.

(click here to continue... (http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6643&CHID=3))

bluehenbillk
October 5th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Should be intersesting, JMU's front got beat up more than once last year when they played teams that could really run the ball.

JMU2004
October 5th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Should be intersesting, JMU's front got beat up more than once last year when they played teams that could really run the ball.

true....but 2 of those games were on wet/muddy fields. The UMass "field" was a joke. Swamp is more accurate

UD would have beat us regardless of field conditions

bluehenbillk
October 5th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Richmond?

Maroon&White
October 5th, 2006, 11:09 AM
true....but 2 of those games were on wet/muddy fields. The UMass "field" was a joke. Swamp is more accurate

UMass only rushed for 77 yards in that game...

JMU2004
October 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Richmond?

JMU got beat by Richmond.....too many mistakes/penalties combined with poor use of timeouts

bluehenbillk
October 5th, 2006, 11:53 AM
and they ran all over you.

JMU2004
October 5th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Well, they did run for 200 yds, but had 300 yds total 0

JMU was done in by 3 turnovers, 5 costly penalties, and going 1/3 in the redzone.

UR, by comparison, was 4/4 in the redzone and had 1 turnover

JMU Duke Dog
October 5th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Opponents' rushing yards against JMU in 2005...

Lock Haven = 31
at Coastal Carolina = 128
Delaware State = 19
at Hofstra = 28
Maine = 61
at Massachusetts = 77
at Delaware = 334
Richmond = 204
at William & Mary = 166
Villanova = 38
Towson = 89

Opponents' rushing yards against JMU so far in 2006...

Bloomsburg = 72
at Appalachian State = 161
Northeastern = 118
at VMI = 86

th0m
October 5th, 2006, 01:04 PM

True. A lot of people are predicting blow-outs, but for A-10 play that just seems impossible to predict. I hope we will be well prepared for URI, as well as not be embarrassed to a large home-crowd.

JMU Duke Dog
October 5th, 2006, 01:04 PM
JMU made mistake after mistake after mistake last year against Richmond. :bang:

jmufootball2
October 5th, 2006, 03:14 PM
why do deleware fans always throw out negative things about JMU? How jealous have you become up there because JMU is so quickly surpassing delware football? Im glad you brought out the 2005 defensive stats duke dog.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Take out Tutt, and UR only rushed for 141 yards combined. Sounds like a respectable day, but nothing mindblowing by any means.

The key stat was definitely red zone chances. 4-4 for UR; 1-3 for JMU.

This year, I have no fear with Richmond. I just don't.

But Delaware, even on a down year - I'm worried about Omar Cuffs. We gotta stop him this year, no excuses, if we want to think we stand a chance of getting to and/or advancing in the playoffs.

Thanks to all for their concern over our D-line, but I think we'll be just fine. :smiley_wi

blukeys
October 5th, 2006, 08:48 PM
why do deleware fans always throw out negative things about JMU? How jealous have you become up there because JMU is so quickly surpassing delware football? Im glad you brought out the 2005 defensive stats duke dog.

Are you really a JMU student????????? I thought JMU was selective about their entrance requirements, It is obvious you have yet to learn how to use spell checker on your word processor program . :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

So far ONE Delaware poster, BlueHenBillK, has bothered to say anything on this thread. His posts were specific and to the point about JMU and Richmond. Since you choose to dis Delaware (the correct spelling of which you have yet to learn at JMU) Here are the actual posts which factually address the weaknesses JMU has demonstrated in the last few games.

Richmond?

and they ran all over you.

Delaware fans are discerning and knowledgeable. (And we know how to spell UNLIKE YOU) They will challenge the weak minded and dumb homers of any team of which you are example NO. 1. Next time you want to demonstrate that Delaware fans are picking on JMU pick a thread that actually has more than one Delaware fan posting on it. Next time try and post on a thread where the facts actually meet your preformed prejudices. You might actually make sense. xlolx xlolx

blur2005
October 5th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Are you really a JMU student????????? I thought JMU was selective about their entrance requirements, It is obvious you have yet to learn how to use spell checker on your word processor program . :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

So far ONE Delaware poster, BlueHenBillK, has bothered to say anything on this thread. His posts were specific and to the point about JMU and Richmond. Since you choose to dis Delaware (the correct spelling of which you have yet to learn at JMU) Here are the actual posts which factually address the weaknesses JMU has demonstrated in the last few games.

Delaware fans are discerning and knowledgeable. (And we know how to spell UNLIKE YOU) They will challenge the weak minded and dumb homers of any team of which you are example NO. 1. Next time you want to demonstrate that Delaware fans are picking on JMU pick a thread that actually has more than one Delaware fan posting on it. Next time try and post on a thread where the facts actually meet your preformed prejudices. You might actually make sense. xlolx xlolx
While I generally agree with you on most of this, attacking someone's spelling on a message board is a bit much, especially when you try to extend it to generalize about the education at a certain school (especially when it isn't bad at all, like JMU). I know I get mad at people for saying 1-AA instead of I-AA but that's about it.

blukeys
October 5th, 2006, 10:55 PM
While I generally agree with you on most of this, attacking someone's spelling on a message board is a bit much, especially when you try to extend it to generalize about the education at a certain school (especially when it isn't bad at all, like JMU). I know I get mad at people for saying 1-AA instead of I-AA but that's about it.

I attacked both the spelling and the fact that only one Delaware poster had anything to say about JMU. For the record I thought his (BillK's) comments were on target.

As for the misspellings, we are talking about misspelling twice the name of one of the original 13 colonies and one of our 50 states.

I have enormous respect for the academic accomplishments of JMU and W&M and thus my total disbelief that a student of one of these fine schools could make such a dumb mistake not once but twice.

I am not assuming that this one individual is a JMU student. On the Contrary based on the illiteracy of his post I QUESTION IF HE IS A JMU STUDENT!!!!!:nod: :nod:

Such a post by someone from Delaware, I would disown in a minute. As a teacher I would be ashamed to have any student of mine post the drivel I have referred to. :eyebrow:

Zoo
October 6th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Rhode Island will hang tough for the 1st half, then allow huge plays in the second half. (One of my many terrible predictions.) xlolx

JMUfan2008
October 6th, 2006, 08:28 AM
the wishbone will keep them with us the first half, they'll get 2 touchdowns I would say. They'll get close once in the second half and pull a field goal: JMU 28, URI 17

blur2005
October 6th, 2006, 12:31 PM
It'll be close at the half but JMU pulls away and wins 38-17.

GannonFan
October 6th, 2006, 12:36 PM
URI ain't all that good, and away from home they are even worse. True, they run the triple option and for some teams (W&M for instance) they can just never adjust to it. But URI is still adjusting to a new QB running the system, and he's the linchpin in that offense. The fact that both teams will run the ball to death means the game will be over real fast clockwise. For that reason, and that reason alone, I think the scores will be low and relatively close, but JMU shouldn't have any problem at home against a team like this. This has been a long 4-week bye basically for JMU - the season starts again next week.

JMU Duke Dog
October 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=81317

13. James Madison (3-1) vs. Rhode Island (2-2)
Where: Bridgeforth Stadium, Harrisonburg, VA.
When: 1:30 p.m.
Series: James Madison leads, 4-3.
Notes: James Madison has won the past two contests and five of the seven series meetings have been decided by seven points or less. Rhode Island defensive coordinator Dick Hopkins served in the same capacity under Mickey Matthews in Harrisonburg from 1999-03. Sophomore QB Derek Cassidy completed 7-of-9 passes for 141 yards and a touchdown in Rhode Island’s 28-21 win over Brown on Sat. James Madison had five scoring drives of at least 63 yards in its 45-7 win at Virginia Military Institute on Sat. JMU senior QB Justin Rascati has completed 30-of-40 passes for 449 yards and three touchdowns over his last two games. Dukes’ senior LB Isaiah Dottin-Carter’s team-leading 39 tackles are three more than he recorded all of last season.

Ram Ball
October 7th, 2006, 03:18 PM
A few comments on this game:

Rhodys gave their best effort but came up short.

Opponents' rushing yards against JMU in 2005...

Lock Haven = 31
at Coastal Carolina = 128
Delaware State = 19
at Hofstra = 28
Maine = 61
at Massachusetts = 77
at Delaware = 334
Richmond = 204
at William & Mary = 166
Villanova = 38
Towson = 89

Opponents' rushing yards against JMU so far in 2006...

Bloomsburg = 72
at Appalachian State = 161
Northeastern = 118
at VMI = 86

URI = 249, which is the 2nd highest in 2 years..

ZOO wrote

Rhode Island will hang tough for the 1st half, then allow huge plays in the second half. (One of my many terrible predictions.)

Not such a terrible prediction. They hung tough in the second half as well, but were definitely plagued by the long TD plays.

GANNON FAN wrote

URI ain't all that good...

This has been a long 4-week bye basically for JMU - the season starts again next week.

I'd say that JMU and their fans would disgree with both assessments after todays game.

That being said, it was a nice win by JMU, who was able to fight off URI, despite 5 lead changes.

JMU2004
October 7th, 2006, 03:20 PM
A few comments on this game:

Rhodys gave their best effort but came up short.

URI = 249, which is the 2nd highest in 2 years..

ZOO wrote

Not such a terrible prediction. They hung tough in the second half as well, but were definitely plagued by the long TD plays.

GANNON FAN wrote

I'd say that JMU and their fans would disgree with both assessments after todays game.

That being said, it was a nice win by JMU, who was able to fight off URI, despite 5 lead changes.

URI gave us all we could handle....I was so scared when URI got the ball back with 5 minutes to go. I was sure that JMU was done.

Either URI is much better then thought, or JMU aint so hot..... I think its both

th0m
October 7th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Yep, didn't see it coming, and we've got a lot to adjust for if we want to play UNH competitively.

Good luck to URI with the remainder of their schedule. @JMU, Richmond, @UMass, whoa, not an easy stretch. Add you 11/11 date with UNH to that, and Maine certainly wont be a pushover either. And with NU just winning from Delaware...

JMU2004
October 7th, 2006, 03:34 PM
RamBall....glad to see a URI fan on here. Please stick around

URI earned my respect today. They had the perfect game plan for today! Ya'll could easily be 2-0 in the A-10

More props for URI..excellent execution of the wishbone..try this stat on for size. URI held the ball for the majority of the game
Total plays: URI 86
JMU 47

Ram Ball
October 7th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks fellas.

I know, the Delaware game was tough. I though we outplayed them, but lost because of stupid and intimely mistakes.

To me, that is different that today's game against you guys. We were overmatched by anyone's account on paper, but hung tough to make you guys earn the win, which to your credit, you did.

I definitely have my fair share of criticism with URI's option offense. However, on days like today when we don't turn the ball over excessively, it is tough to defend. My biggest problem is the high probability for fumbles with all the pitch-outs to the wings. It drives me absolutely crazy when we pitch out inside the 20 yard line on either side of the field. Especially with a running back like Joe Casey that can pound the ball up the middle.

Did anyone see Casey's run in the 4th quarter that the URI announcers were calling one of the greatest in URI history (in terms of sheer determination and dragging so many defenders so far)?

Anyway, thanks for making me feel welcome on the board and good luck to you guys the rest of the way...

JMU2004
October 7th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks fellas.

I know, the Delaware game was tough. I though we outplayed them, but lost because of stupid and intimely mistakes.

To me, that is different that today's game against you guys. We were overmatched by anyone's account on paper, but hung tough to make you guys earn the win, which to your credit, you did.

I definitely have my fair share of criticism with URI's option offense. However, on days like today when we don't turn the ball over excessively, it is tough to defend. My biggest problem is the high probability for fumbles with all the pitch-outs to the wings. It drives me absolutely crazy when we pitch out inside the 20 yard line on either side of the field. Especially with a running back like Joe Casey that can pound the ball up the middle.

Did anyone see Casey's run in the 4th quarter that the URI announcers were calling one of the greatest in URI history (in terms of sheer determination and dragging so many defenders so far)?

Anyway, thanks for making me feel welcome on the board and good luck to you guys the rest of the way...

Our announcers were dumbstruck by that Casey run. They thought he was down at least 2 times....but he kept on pushing forward.

Casey is a keeper....he gutted us worse than anyone not named Cuff

th0m
October 7th, 2006, 05:46 PM
The 18 yard run that gave you guys a first down?

I was listening to the entire game online, and I was also chatting with someone online, but I was paying extra attention for the 3rd or 4th down conversion (think it was 3rd and very long) and I swear to god, I was cheering because the JMU announcer said he got like 8 yards, and then I talked some more online and then the JMU announcer said they had a first down, I was like "WTF????? What the hell happened?" I was really dumbstruck.

th0m
October 8th, 2006, 03:33 PM
The highlights for this game are now up on the JMUSports.com website.

Ram Ball
October 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks Im going to check that out right now. Where is a good place for game photos?

th0m
October 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
That's a good question. I don't think a 'good place' exists for things like that. I've gotta say that I've never ever seen a photo series of a JMU football game...I know they take pictures though, because if you go to the front page of JMUSports.com, you'll see a picture of Boxley of JMU and a URI player behind it.

bandl
August 29th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Hmmmm..... Reallly?

WTF??? Talk about a blast from the past....xconfusedx xconfusedx

Fordham
August 29th, 2007, 02:32 PM
thanks for making me thinking I was going nuts before checking out the date, there 'forever'.

it's rams v. rams this saturday - at the rams.