PDA

View Full Version : I-AA West: Who Wants to Win the Southland? --Schmidt

blackfordpu
October 4th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I-AA West: Who Wants to Win the Southland?

Kent Schmidt, I-AA.org Columnist

After five weeks, we usually have an idea of what teams are going to be good and those that won’t be so good. The case in the Southland Conference, however, is a little bit muddled and almost no one has an idea who will win this league right now.

The news at McNeese State muddles the projections even further. Officials at McNeese State let Head Coach Tommy Tate go and will replace him on an interim basis with offensive coordinator Matt Viator.

Over the past decade, the Southland Conference has been one of I-AA’s top leagues over the past several seasons, including championship game appearances in 2002 (McNeese State lost to Western Kentucky) and 1997 (McNeese State lost to Youngstown State). The league usually sends multiple (three in 2001) teams to the playoffs like they did the past four of five seasons.

Currently, no teams in the league have winning records. Of the teams in the league this season, just Northwestern State and Sam Houston State have .500 records. Both schools are sitting at 2-2 overall.

It is kind of irregular that the Southland is doing as poorly as they are but the conference does have some reasons. But if it is like past seasons, the league likely will have a contender or two for other I-AA league teams to deal with.

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=81281

October 4th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I-AA West: Who Wants to Win the Southland?
Kent Schmidt, I-AA.org Columnist
http://www.i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=740
After five weeks, we usually have an idea of what teams are going to be good and those that won’t be so good. The case in the Southland Conference, however, is a little bit muddled and almost no one has an idea who will win this league right now. ...

blackfordpu
October 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM
what happened here?

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Another great read by our favorite Bison-Bearkat backer! :)

Before last week, I nominated McNeese State as the front-runner in the league. With their loss at home to SDSU and loss of coach, I may have to change my tune. I would now select the two teams sitting at .500 right now in Northwestern State and Sam Houston State.

Those two squads meet this Saturday in Natchitoches to give an early indication of which team will be the front-runner.

Dallas Demon
October 5th, 2006, 12:55 AM
No. He's a Bison-Demon backer... :nod:

kats89
October 5th, 2006, 05:54 AM
I think this Saturday is gonna be another defensive slugfest like last year. However, I think our offense is much improved over last year. With DD Terry running like he is and Hicks showing the calmness in the pocket, this game could be a fun one to see or watch on tv. Everyone dont forget that this game will be shown on Fox Sports Southwest or Fox Sports Central depending on your cable/satellite provider. Should be a good one.:hurray: :hurray:

#34 DD Terry

http://www.shsu.edu/~org_nbs/UT_web/images/UT6.jpg

Bison_Kent
October 5th, 2006, 06:12 AM
I am a all of I-AA West backer. I hope for a good game on Saturday night between the Bearkats and Demons.

kats89
October 5th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I am a all of I-AA West backer. I hope for a good game on Saturday night between the Bearkats and Demons.

I wish we could get a home and home with the Bison.

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/front_big/300_hicks.jpg

Bison77
October 5th, 2006, 07:42 AM

We would love it. :hurray: :hurray:

blackfordpu
October 5th, 2006, 08:05 AM

I wish we could get a home and home with ANYONE. The only one we have had is Missouri State the last four years and that contract is now up.

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I wish we could get a home and home with ANYONE. The only one we have had is Missouri State the last four years and that contract is now up.

We've had home and home series with Missouri St, Western Illinois, Montana, Northern Arizona and Northern Colorado since I've been really around the program. That's not too bad. Western Illinois still owes us a game which they'll give us in Huntsville in 2009.

Would love if the Kats could score some more home-and-home games against Big Sky and Gateway foes. We've done the GWFC thing before too and that wouldn't be bad at all. A shame you never seen A10 or SoCon schools step into the SLC...

blackfordpu
October 5th, 2006, 05:35 PM
We've had home and home series with Missouri St, Western Illinois, Montana, Northern Arizona and Northern Colorado since I've been really around the program. That's not too bad. Western Illinois still owes us a game which they'll give us in Huntsville in 2009.

Would love if the Kats could score some more home-and-home games against Big Sky and Gateway foes. We've done the GWFC thing before too and that wouldn't be bad at all. A shame you never seen A10 or SoCon schools step into the SLC...

Why was the 2004 Montana game not turned into a home and home?

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Why was the 2004 Montana game not turned into a home and home?

It was...

Kats went to Missoula in 2003 and they came to SHSU in 2004...

Northern Colorado came to SHSU in 2004 and we went to Colorado in 2005...

2002, Kats went to Flagstaff and then in 2003, Northern Arizona came to SHSU...

2001 and 2003, Kats went to Western Illinois (Macomb). SHSU hosted in 2002 and the game in 2009...

Missouri St hosted SHSU in 2004 and 2006. Kats were supposed to host them in 2005 (Rita) and will see them in 2007...

blackfordpu
October 5th, 2006, 05:44 PM
It was...

Kats went to Missoula in 2003 and they came to SHSU in 2004...

Northern Colorado came to SHSU in 2004 and we went to Colorado in 2005...

2002, Kats went to Flagstaff and then in 2003, Northern Arizona came to SHSU...

2001 and 2003, Kats went to Western Illinois (Macomb). SHSU hosted in 2002 and the game in 2009...

Missouri St hosted SHSU in 2004 and 2006. Kats were supposed to host them in 2005 (Rita) and will see them in 2007...

Thank you for clearing that up. :nod:

I didn't realize the UM game was a home and home. :o

Dallas Demon
October 5th, 2006, 05:49 PM
A shame you never seen A10 or SoCon schools step into the SLC...

Northwestern St. beat Northeastern last year in Natchitoches. Also, 2 years ago Northwestern St. beat Appy St. in Natchitoches.

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Northwestern St. beat Northeastern last year in Natchitoches. Also, 2 years ago Northwestern St. beat Appy St. in Natchitoches.

Appy St did a home-and-home with Texas State-San Marcos...that was neat!

I know Georgia Southern hooked it up with McNeese a few years back. Did NWST go back up to Northeastern? And I know Delaware St came down to NWST this year.

Just would be nice to see someone not named Dakota coming through the SLC. Seems NDSU and SDSU are on every team in the SLC's schedules this year or next. In some cases, both schools are on there. Not that they are bad schools, just would like more OOC games against the other percieved power conferences...

HPCAT
October 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Appy St did a home-and-home with Texas State-San Marcos...that was neat!

This is not accurate, ASU has never played at TXST. I was at the TXST/ASU game in Boone though and I would love to see them in SM.

kats89
October 5th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I would love to go to Boone!:nod:

Dallas Demon
October 5th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Did NWST go back up to Northeastern?

Next year, September 15th I think in Boston.:nod:

slostang
October 6th, 2006, 12:58 AM

I would like to see Cal Poly schedule some home and home serries with a few Southland teams.

kats89
October 6th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Bring it on. We will bring you in to Huntsville and let you take in some of the Texas heat and humidity in the month of September.:thumbsup:

blackfordpu
October 6th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Bring it on. We will bring you in to Huntsville and let you take in some of the Texas heat and humidity in the month of September.:thumbsup:

Yea, Montana didn't like it too much. :rotateh:

Tailbone
October 6th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I didn't realize the UM game was a home and home.

Yeah, I can understand the confusion 'cause every year that you make the playoffs you visit Missoula....probably seems too "one-sided" to be a home and home.

Yea, Montana didn't like it too much. :rotateh:

Yep, got our backsides handed to us - we looked like fish outta water.
But, we did get to see you again in WaGriz (for your periodic playoff visit)....and we looked a little better in that game.

slycat
October 6th, 2006, 02:48 PM
This is not accurate, ASU has never played at TXST. I was at the TXST/ASU game in Boone though and I would love to see them in SM.

are they supposed to come or was it never meant to be a home-home? i would really like to see app st play.