PDA

View Full Version : McNeese State Coaching Change

McNeese75
October 3rd, 2006, 05:35 PM
It appears McNeese released Tommy Tate today. I have no specific information (that will come this evening I am sure) other than it has been confirmed by numerous parties.

: smh :

buckp
October 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM
It appears McNeese released Tommy Tate today. I have no specific information (that will come this evening I am sure) other than it has been confirmed by numerous parties.

Just heard it also from a very reliable source....: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

bobbythekidd
October 3rd, 2006, 05:40 PM

mid season?:eek:

Maverick
October 3rd, 2006, 05:45 PM
Go to www.americanpress.com and click on more sports and a little story comes up saying they expect it to happen by 7:00 am on Wednesday.

JohnStOnge
October 3rd, 2006, 05:45 PM
mid season?:eek:

Looks like I can't criticize Georgia Southern anymore. If McNeese continued the sloppy play through the season and didn't go anywhere, that'd be one thing. But I don't think there's any doubt that the Cowboys are a team that had a very legitimate shot at winning what is a down Southland this year and getting into the playoffs. I don't see how this can do anything but diminish the chances of that happening.

And, while I know fans always say this, I've watched the team and it has very good athletes. It's one of those things where the problems are very correctable and the squad could be very dangerous if it quits all the penalties, missed center exchanges, etc. I'm dumbfounded that any administration would do something like this unless it's something else beyond just what's happening on the field.

buckp
October 3rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
Now we are going to be stuck the rest of the year with Matt Viator (Off. Coach)....yuck! : smh :

McNeese72
October 3rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Looks like I can't criticize Georgia Southern anymore. If McNeese continued the sloppy play through the season and didn't go anywhere, that'd be one thing. But I don't think there's any doubt that the Cowboys are a team that had a very legitimate shot at winning what is a down Southland this year and getting into the playoffs. I don't see how this can do anything but diminish the chances of that happening.

And, while I know fans always say this, I've watched the team and it has very good athletes. It's one of those things where the problems are very correctable and the squad could be very dangerous if it quits all the penalties, missed center exchanges, etc. I'm dumbfounded that any administration would do something like this unless it's something else beyond just what's happening on the field.

John,

From what I hear, it goes a lot deeper into the background than just sloppy play by the team. I don't know how much will come out. Also, from what I have heard it doesn't involve any NCAA violations. But it didn't happen just because the way the team was plahying.

Doc

Bobcat94
October 3rd, 2006, 07:42 PM
What the hell???? This really doesn't make any since at all. The admin. must have it out for the guy. Some serious case of not seeing eye to eye..

Retro
October 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Unless there is some serious off the field issue, it does no good at all to fire a coach just a few games into the season and before conference play has started... If it is due to on the field issues, then i'm not sure that tate is the problem.. The play calling has been terrible this year and the lack of leadership on the field is also troubling.:confused:

Besides that, there needs to be almost an entire house cleaning at mcneese from the President on down and at least the A.D. on down including many administration personel who don't do squat to progress the school or bring more money in...

In addition, far too many good ole boys listening to a couple of corrupt businessmen call the shots for the university and meanwhile the university falls further and further behind in getting things done. We can't even get the administration behind the fieldhouse project. It was started by boosters altogether.:twocents:

slycat
October 3rd, 2006, 07:50 PM
wow. best of luck to the cowboys in the rest of the season. thats got to have an impact on the players letting him go mid season.

MR. CHICKEN
October 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
HEY KEELER.......WATCH YER BACKSIDE.......:eek:..........BRAWK!

bobbythekidd
October 3rd, 2006, 08:10 PM
My uneducated opinion is that it must be something off the feild. The press release will not reflect what actually happened. McNeese has talent, I doubt if was just a difference of coaching philosophies.

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM
First our Defensive Coordinator / DB Coach gets canned for some type of internal NCAA infraction.....Now this???

What's going on with the Southland???

Prominent0ne
October 3rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
This isn't the first time I've heard of "off the field situations" with Tate. It may very well be the case since this has happened after the 4th game of the season.

MR. CHICKEN
October 3rd, 2006, 09:27 PM
WERE DUH 'BOYS....INVOLVED IN UH "BINGO" STING???

kats89
October 3rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
WOW! big development.

blackfordpu
October 3rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
Was the guy that bad?

Freightliner
October 3rd, 2006, 09:41 PM
Wow is about all I can say..:eek: :eek: :eek:

My best to the Cowboys this season....hopefully things will turn around for you guys (except when you go up against us next week :) :rolleyes: )

First things first...get past Southern Utah.

Mr. C
October 3rd, 2006, 10:13 PM
There is much more here (and this has been going on for some time) than can really be talked about on a message board. Tate probably would have been fired last season, but for the disruption of everything with the hurricane. That was what sources were telling some of us at I-AA.org. It wasn't all related to on-field performance.

Dallas Demon
October 3rd, 2006, 11:37 PM
Was the guy that bad?

He was the I-AA Coach of the Year in 2002. Something else must have been going on that the public doesn't know about.

89rabbit
October 3rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Not news by now, but here is a link to a story:

http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=5494035&nav=7k7f

McNeese replaces Tate as head football coach

LAKE CHARLES, La. Tommy Tate will be replaced as the head coach of McNeese State's football program as the Cowboys struggle to overcome a one-and-three start to their season.

That news comes from the university president. Robert Hebert says Tate will be replaced by offensive coordinator Matt Viator, who will act as interim head coach.

Tate had been the head coach since 2000 and a member of the coaching staff since 1979.

Hebert refrained from saying the slow start to the season was the reason for the change.

On Saturday, the Cowboys lost 20-to-17 to South Dakota State and two of their losses have been to Division One-A teams. The Cowboys have suffered late-game collapses, being outscored 55-to-zero in the fourth quarters of games against Division One-A opponents.

Tate ends his stint at McNeese with a 49-and-26 record and led the Cowboys to three straight Southland Conference championships from 2001 to 2003. . . . (read more)

henfan
October 4th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Would Mike Santiago be on the short list as a possible replacement for Tate?

Best wishes to our friends in LC. This is a tough mid-season change to endure.

NoCoDanny
October 4th, 2006, 09:08 AM
There is much more here (and this has been going on for some time) than can really be talked about on a message board. Tate probably would have been fired last season, but for the disruption of everything with the hurricane. That was what sources were telling some of us at I-AA.org. It wasn't all related to on-field performance.

What could possibly be going on that couldn't be talked about on this message board? This board being the one with people detailing their jerking off routines and preferences to the level of being extremely creepy.

McNeese75
October 4th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Uhhhhhhhhhhh NO :nonono2:

buckp
October 4th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by henfan

Uhhhhhhhhhhh NO :nonono2:

Not NO....but H*LL NO!!!! :eek: I think there were some Cowboy fans helping Mike "Up The Middle" Santiago pack when he left McNeese....:nod:

October 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM
What could possibly be going on that couldn't be talked about on this message board? This board being the one with people detailing their...There's no personal detailing on this I-AA Discussion Board. That's on another non-football board for members of AGS.

Freightliner
October 4th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Not NO....but H*LL NO!!!! :eek: I think there were some Cowboy fans helping Mike "Up The Middle" Santiago pack when he left McNeese....:nod:

You never know....stranger things have happened in Lake Charles the last few years.....

But youre right...Santiago at the helm of Mcneese?? NO WAY.:nod: :twocents:

UAalum72
October 4th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Tate "resigned"

The Sports Network story:
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/AGN4043219.htm

"If I have any regrets it's that I trusted some people I shouldn't have."

NoCoDanny
October 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM
There's no personal detailing on this I-AA Discussion Board. That's on another non-football board for members of AGS.

To me that's a subcatergory of the same board but I get your point.

I'm just curious what this big scandle is all about.

smallcollegefbfan
October 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Unless there is some serious off the field issue, it does no good at all to fire a coach just a few games into the season and before conference play has started... If it is due to on the field issues, then i'm not sure that tate is the problem.. The play calling has been terrible this year and the lack of leadership on the field is also troubling.:confused:

Besides that, there needs to be almost an entire house cleaning at mcneese from the President on down and at least the A.D. on down including many administration personel who don't do squat to progress the school or bring more money in...

In addition, far too many good ole boys listening to a couple of corrupt businessmen call the shots for the university and meanwhile the university falls further and further behind in getting things done. We can't even get the administration behind the fieldhouse project. It was started by boosters altogether.:twocents:

Rumor is Tate has had many off field issues going on that caused this. Losing was just the icing on the cake. Rumor was that this was going down regardless. They lead the nation in penalties to just show they are not very disciplined. I won't say what I heard but those who are close to McNeese know this change is needed. What is sad that if you had told me last year that this was going on and he would get fired I would not have believed you. Tate has been known as a good guy and coach. Sad to see a man like this has fallen so far.

smallcollegefbfan
October 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Yeah if you went into detail I am sure the post would take up a whole page on it's own. There is a lot going on here. This has been going on for a while and I agree with you that this was gonna happen last year if not for the hurricane. Of course, we all know people don't care what you do when you are winning, the losing seasons were just the icing on the cake here.

GeauxLions94
October 4th, 2006, 12:58 PM
From McNeeseSports.com.

Tommy Tate resigns as McNeese State head football coach
Offensive coordinator Matt Viator named interim coach

Oct. 4, 2006

Tommy Tate has resigned as head football coach at McNeese State University.

The resignation is effective immediately and offensive coordinator Matt Viator has been appointed as interim head coach.

Following the season McNeese will conduct a search for the position of head coach.

Tate has served as head coach for the past seven years and during that time compiled a 49-26 overall record. This season the Cowboys were 1-3 under Tate.

"I want to thank McNeese for the opportunity it has given me for the last 27 years. It has been a privilege to have coached here at McNeese. It has never been a job, never been a business. It has been a privilege," Tate said.

"It's a privilege to play here at McNeese. When you put on that uniform there is a lot of pride. I knew that that privilege could be taken away but that is part of the coaching profession.

"If I have any regrets it's that I trusted some people I shouldn't have.

"I think that this team has an opportunity to win the conference championship. They are a talented group of players and it would be great for everyone involved.

"I want to thank the booster clubs and fans for all of their support and passion that they have given our football program over the years," he added.

McTailGator
October 4th, 2006, 01:24 PM
He was the I-AA Coach of the Year in 2002. Something else must have been going on that the public doesn't know about.

I can tell you that his personal life has been a mess since then and that too many changes on the coaching staff in past years has not helped either.

I can also tell you that attendance speaks LOUD at McNeese and the University president has a good view of empty seats from his private suite...

McTailGator
October 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Best wishes to our friends in LC. This is a tough mid-season change to endure.

LOL...

Santiago would be on a list in LC, but it would not be for a coaching job...:smiley_wi

GeauxLions94
October 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM
LOL...

Santiago would be on a list in LC, but it would not be for a coaching job...:smiley_wi

This is just for kicks ...
"Hello, and welcome to Isle of Capri. My name is Mike. Can I take your drink order?"

arkstfan
October 4th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Wow, five weeks in and Division I has seen four major firings that I can think of.

Head Coach: McNeese State
Offensive Coordinator: Utah State
Defensive Coordinator: NW State
Defensive Coordinator: Memphis

Gotta be some sort of record.

Retro
October 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM
And 3 of them with ties to mcneese!: smh :

mikebigg
October 4th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I was surprised when I saw this in the paper? Will McNeese do a national search or do yall have an early local favorite? How old is RC Slocum?

Retro
October 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM
There will be no immediate long term new hire for coach.. Viator is the interim head coach and i'm sure he will be a candidate once the season is over, which is when a new search for a permament coach is conducted. Slocum is making a million per year as a consultant/fundraiser for texas a&m.

walliver
October 4th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Just my 2 cent opinion, but, sometimes I think ennuendo is more harmful that stating facts. "Off field problems" leaves it to our imaginations what really happens (and some AGSers have very active imaginations). Sometimes it is better to say "he did <fill in the blank>" than to say "problems that can't be discussed on this board".

As in the case of Terry Bowden, where the truth has never been formally released, it leaves a cloud of suspicion. The rumor I heard was that Bowden was having a affair with a trustee's daughter, but, as far as we know it could have been a three-way with the tight end and wide receiver.

I don't think releasing lurid details is needed, but a general decription would be helpful so that AGS imaginations don't run wild.

GeauxColonels
October 4th, 2006, 06:34 PM
"It's a privilege to play here at McNeese. When you put on that uniform there is a lot of pride. I knew that that privilege could be taken away but that is part of the coaching profession.

"If I have any regrets it's that I trusted some people I shouldn't have.
I was wondering when this was going to be brought up. I just read the press release on McNeese's athletics website. If there's one thing you can discern from the quote, it's that it's way beyond football at this point. There's no indication that it has anything to do with the program. It seems as though it's more of a personal issue.

VERY VERY delicate situation out in Lake Charles.

GeauxLions94
October 4th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I was wondering when this was going to be brought up. I just read the press release on McNeese's athletics website. If there's one thing you can discern from the quote, it's that it's way beyond football at this point. There's no indication that it has anything to do with the program. It seems as though it's more of a personal issue.

VERY VERY delicate situation out in Lake Charles.

OK, it's over. Now it's time for smacktalk with Southeastern visiting Nicholls State this week for the Riverbell. (we're taking it back BTW) :thumbsup:

GeauxColonels
October 4th, 2006, 06:45 PM
OK, it's over. Now it's time for smacktalk with Southeastern visiting Nicholls State this week for the Riverbell. (we're taking it back BTW) :thumbsup:
I'll leave the smack talk for the smack thread.

I think that this throws the already up-for-grabs SLC into even MORE disarray.

SoCon48
October 4th, 2006, 08:12 PM

Have they no decorum? If he was so bad, they should have done it in the off season. (Unless he just banged the chancellor's wife over the week end.)xlolx
Now you have a lame duck over the rest of the season unless he is being replaced immediately.

bobbythekidd
October 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM
www.americanpress.com

McNeese State’s collapse late in Saturday’s 20-17 loss to South Dakota State was alarming for Cowboys football fans.

But it was a collapsing program off the field that led to Tuesday’s departure of head coach Tommy Tate, said a source close to the program.

McNeese committed 19 penalties in the game for 174 yards, including many late hits in a loss where the Cowboys blew a 17-6 lead in the game’s final five minutes to fall to 1-3. That game, the source said, was a sign of a lack of discipline in the program that led to Tate getting the ultimatum from McNeese President Dr. Robert Hebert: resign or be fired.

“At this point, we’re afraid of the program disintegrating,” said the source, a high-ranking administrator at McNeese. “This is not how McNeese’s program is built.”

The discipline concerns are not just on-field, though, the source said.

Also at issue were alleged cases of off-field player misconduct that had gone unpunished, the source said, citing a recent case when a player was found out of his room past curfew on a road trip with a female athletic trainer. The trainer was punished for her actions but the player wasn’t.

“We can’t have that double standard,” the source said.

McNeese President Dr. Robert Hebert said this was not a route the university chose easily. “I have been always been committed to not removing coaches in the middle of a season,” he said. “But this is something I felt was in the best interest of the program.”

(I found this posted by another poster on McNeese fan site. Sorry if it has been here before. Bob)

patssle
October 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM
“We can’t have that double standard,”

I applaud the university for that. Not punishing the player is BS.

galojay
October 6th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Sorry if this has been posted already. WOW! Was their more to this than the article says, 27 years is a long time to then push him out mid-season!

McNeese fires Tate after only 4 games

Bearkats coach shocked by news
Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

Southland Conference football action hasn’t even started yet, but one of the league’s head coaches is already out of a job.

Longtime McNeese State coach Tommy Tate was forced to resign Wednesday by university president Robert Hebert just days after the Cowboys lost to South Dakota State 20-17 at home.

Offensive coordinator Matt Viator will serve as the Cowboys’ interim head coach for the rest of the season.

“I want to thank McNeese for the opportunity it has given me for the last 27 years,” Tate said in a press release. “It has been a privilege to have coached here at McNeese. It has never been a job, never been a business. It has been a privilege.

“It’s a privilege to play here at McNeese. When you put on that uniform there is a lot of pride. I knew that that privilege could be taken away, but that is part of the coaching profession.”

McNeese was tabbed the preseason favorite to win the Southland Conference this fall, but the Cowboys have struggled through their first four games, going 1-3. Two of those losses came at the hands of NCAA Division I-A Toledo and South Florida, while the Cowboys’ only win was against an NAIA school, West Virginia Tech.

Saturday’s loss to South Dakota State, McNeese’s first at Cowboy Stadium since 2004, proved to be the enough for the university to head in a new direction.

“I regret this has happened during the course of a season,” Hebert told the Lake Charles American Press. “But I believe it is in the best interest of our program.”

The news came as a shock to Sam Houston State head coach Todd Whitten, especially since it came only four games into the season.

“I couldn’t believe it when I heard the news,” Whitten said Thursday. “Anytime that happens to a coach, a friend, it saddens you. I don’t think it is the best thing for players to fire a coach during week four. I think Tommy is a good coach, and I respect him.”

Tate has been part of the McNeese coaching staff since 1979 and took over as head coach in 2000. He guided the Cowboys to a 49-26 record and won three consecutive SLC titles from 2001-03. In 2002, the Cowboys reached the Division I-AA national championship game before falling to Western Kentucky.

McNeese will begin the search for a new head coach at the end of the season.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Several posts, most notably this one about it...story broke Tuesday PM...

It is a shocking move nonetheless...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14449

patssle
October 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM
don’t think it is the best thing for players to fire a coach

players?

BEAR
October 6th, 2006, 06:18 PM
The democrat gazzette in Little Rock puts coach Conque as a possible candidate for the head job at McNeese.

McTailGator
October 6th, 2006, 07:31 PM
The democrat gazzette in Little Rock pust coach Conque as a possible candidate for the head job at McNeese.

No coaching search will occur until after the National signing day in February.

McTailGator
October 6th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I was surprised when I saw this in the paper? Will McNeese do a national search or do yall have an early local favorite? How old is RC Slocum?

McNeese will do a national search prior to spring training of 2007 and right after national signing day.

That is why the OC is now only the Interim HC.

FU97
October 6th, 2006, 08:04 PM
McNeese will do a national search prior to spring training of 2007 and right after national signing day.

That is why the OC is now only the Interim HC.

Why AFTER signing day? You'd think you'd want your HC in before signing day.

straightshooter
October 6th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I'd guess sooner than that. The new coach, if it's not the interim guy, will want his own recruiting class. You never know what offense or defense he's going to favor, and he'll want to get a basis in place right away.

If they don't name the coach during the season, they probably will sometime in December or early January.

GeauxColonels
October 6th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Why AFTER signing day? You'd think you'd want your HC in before signing day.
That's what I was wondering. I've always heard of schools trying to get a coach as quickly as possible after the end of the season. That way the coach can get the players he wants to run his schemes.

igo4uni
October 6th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Wow!!

McTailGator
October 6th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I'd guess sooner than that. The new coach, if it's not the interim guy, will want his own recruiting class. You never know what offense or defense he's going to favor, and he'll want to get a basis in place right away.

If they don't name the coach during the season, they probably will sometime in December or early January.

Because it is nearly impossible for a coach to come in and get a good class from scratch. The current coaches left at Mcneese are good recruiters and will more than likely remain in tact because they are all good hires for a new coach. He just might want to bring in new coordinators with him.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
The democrat gazzette in Little Rock puts coach Conque as a possible candidate for the head job at McNeese.

Conque would be crazy to leave Conway for Lake Charles...I just don't think it would be the right move, especially with how UCA is looking like a national power in the making...

walliver
October 6th, 2006, 09:51 PM
No coaching search will occur until after the National signing day in February.

That seems odd. What recruit is going to sign to play when he doesn't know who the head coach will be. It makes more sense to hire a new coach shortly after the season ends, well before national signing day.

FU97
October 6th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Because it is nearly impossible for a coach to come in and get a good class from scratch. The current coaches left at Mcneese are good recruiters and will more than likely remain in tact because they are all good hires for a new coach. He just might want to bring in new coordinators with him.

Seems like 99.9% of all coaching changes in the NCAA take place before signing day (usually in December). You'd be crazy not to. Obviously a new coach would be somewhat behind the eight ball as he'd come in in the middle of the recuriting process, but I'd think that the vast majority of the recruits would not sign without knowing/meeting the head coach.

If you want to screw up the hire, wait til March.

eaglesrthe1
October 6th, 2006, 11:01 PM
It would have to hurt your recruiting to wait that late.

golionsgo
October 6th, 2006, 11:07 PM

It's not impossible at all. Dennis Roland had one week to recruit for us in 2005 and pulled in several impact starters from that class. I think it's a big mistake to wait.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I'd be surprised if McNeese didn't hire a McNeese person again. That has always seemed to be their preference and is probably one of the major reasons for the contenuity in the program.

GeauxLions94
October 7th, 2006, 02:53 AM
I'd be surprised if McNeese didn't hire a McNeese person again. That has always seemed to be their preference and is probably one of the major reasons for the contenuity in the program.

Who from McNeese would then be available?
R.C. Slocum - wouldn't think he'd come since he's making plenty of :twocents: at A&M

Mike Santiago - the McFans don't want him. End of discussion

Bobby Keasler - logical choice; does he still have the itch?

Matt Viator - Gets a 7-game pop quiz

McFans, are there any others with McNeese ties out there?

JohnStOnge
October 7th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Who from McNeese would then be available?
R.C. Slocum - wouldn't think he'd come since he's making plenty of :twocents: at A&M

Mike Santiago - the McFans don't want him. End of discussion

Matt Viator - Gets a 7-game pop quiz

McFans, are there any others with McNeese ties out there?

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Viator do well this season then get promoted for continuity's sake.

But one name that I always think of when McNeese looks for a coach is George Hafner. He played QB at McNeese and applied for the job last time. He was Johnny Major's offensive coordinator when Majors was at Iowa State and they went to their first bowl game ever. Then he went with Majors to Pitt where that staff turned that program around. He was offensive coordinator when Tony Dorsett was there.

He was Bobby Bowden's first offensive coordinator at Florida State then he was offensive coordinator at Georgia when they had Herschel Walker and won the mythical national title. His career soured when Vince Dooley retired and he was let go at Georgia by a head coach who subsequently got fired himself and whose name I can't remember. His next job was at LSU under Curley Hallman. Again, he was (in my opinion) made the scapegoat and let go...only again to be shortly followed thereafter by the head coach.

Last job he had that I know of was at Mary Hardin Baylor. He was the offensive coordinator there when Mary Hardin Baylor played in the D-III national championship game in 2004; losing 28 - 21 to Linfield. Mary Hardin Baylor had the distinction of eliminating Mount Union from the playoffs that season.

I just looked at Mary Hardin Baylor's website and he's not on the staff there anymore so he may be retired. But there's no question he's got a broad range of experience from the very top levels of major college football down to D-III and has quite a resume of success over his career.

GAD
October 7th, 2006, 06:12 AM
That seems odd. What recruit is going to sign to play when he doesn't know who the head coach will be. It makes more sense to hire a new coach shortly after the season ends, well before national signing day.
sarcasm its called sarcasm

Sam Adams
October 7th, 2006, 07:07 AM
tate must have been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

McNeese75
October 7th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Conque would be crazy to leave Conway for Lake Charles...I just don't think it would be the right move, especially with how UCA is looking like a national power in the making...

xidiotx

McTailGator
October 7th, 2006, 05:37 PM

Oddly enough, McNeese's two most successful coaches were from the outside.

Jack Doland, and Bobby Keasler...

McTailGator
October 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM
tate must have been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Nope, he just refused to disapline his football team when they did stupid things while representing the school.

President had enough.

McNeese was the most penalized team in the SLC since 2000 when Tate took over as HC.

McTailGator
October 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I personally wouldn't mind seeing Viator do well this season then get promoted for continuity's sake.

But one name that I always think of when McNeese looks for a coach is George Hafner. He played QB at McNeese and applied for the job last time. He was Johnny Major's offensive coordinator when Majors was at Iowa State and they went to their first bowl game ever. Then he went with Majors to Pitt where that staff turned that program around. He was offensive coordinator when Tony Dorsett was there.

He was Bobby Bowden's first offensive coordinator at Florida State then he was offensive coordinator at Georgia when they had Herschel Walker and won the mythical national title. His career soured when Vince Dooley retired and he was let go at Georgia by a head coach who subsequently got fired himself and whose name I can't remember. His next job was at LSU under Curley Hallman. Again, he was (in my opinion) made the scapegoat and let go...only again to be shortly followed thereafter by the head coach.

Last job he had that I know of was at Mary Hardin Baylor. He was the offensive coordinator there when Mary Hardin Baylor played in the D-III national championship game in 2004; losing 28 - 21 to Linfield. Mary Hardin Baylor had the distinction of eliminating Mount Union from the playoffs that season.

I just looked at Mary Hardin Baylor's website and he's not on the staff there anymore so he may be retired. But there's no question he's got a broad range of experience from the very top levels of major college football down to D-III and has quite a resume of success over his career.

The answer is YES...