PDA

View Full Version : FU vs ASU final score

OL FU
October 20th, 2013, 07:14 AM
23-18-3 advantage Furmanxthumbsupx

It has been a great series and rivalry. Some very exciting games over the years. I hate to see you go. Best of Luck.

ASU33
October 20th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Those App State/Furman games from 2005 always stand out in my mind.

SpeedkingATL
October 20th, 2013, 09:21 AM

It has been a great series and rivalry. Some very exciting games over the years. I hate to see you go. Best of Luck.

I hope you enjoy the parting gift App gave Furman on Saturday. The Furman series has been a really great one with some real highlights for both teams. I'll miss the trips to Greenville.

OL FU
October 20th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I hope you enjoy the parting gift App gave Furman on Saturday. The Furman series has been a really great one with some real highlights for both teams. I'll miss the trips to Greenville.

ASU certainly helped, but it wasn't all your fault. We do get some credit. On the other hand, I wouldn't say I enjoyed it as much as some of the other more "meaningful" games. Hopefully, better times in the future for both teams.

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2013, 10:25 AM
The play that broke App State's back and their season. Man was open, just one heck of an athletic play by Gary Wilkins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hniG_JLhIFw&feature=share&list=UUprLkD5Pj5 pk45TVcpo7jKg

SoCon2013
October 20th, 2013, 10:28 AM

After that fanny whipping you gave App yesterday, you should indeed be glad App is leaving.

CID1990
October 20th, 2013, 10:32 AM
After that fanny whipping you gave App yesterday, you should indeed be glad App is leaving.

I don't know. That ASU revenge match a couple weeks ago was a bit disappointing.

AshevilleApp2
October 20th, 2013, 10:33 AM
The play that broke App State's back and their season. Man was open, just one heck of an athletic play by Gary Wilkins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hniG_JLhIFw&feature=share&list=UUprLkD5Pj5 pk45TVcpo7jKg

xlolx Season? This season has been broken since Game #1.

Best of luck to Furman in the future.

ASUG8
October 20th, 2013, 11:24 AM

That play broke my back too.xconfusedx

SU DOG
October 20th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Now with Hannon back, I just worry that this game might jump-start Furman into becoming a real player in the conference this season.

FCSfan
October 20th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I haven't seen any gratitude from paladin folks for the generosity the 'eers extended to your team in the way of turnovers. Looking at the just the box score app dominated. When it rains it certainly pours.
congrats purple.

catamount man
October 20th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Hopefully WCU can keep climbing and reignite the series of games we had with Furman circa 1983-1986. It's gonna really feel weird in Boone on November 23. GO CATS!

hypercycloid
October 20th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I haven't seen any gratitude from paladin folks for the generosity the 'eers extended to your team in the way of turnovers. Looking at the just the box score app dominated. When it rains it certainly pours.
congrats purple.

In no way did App. ever dominate any part of that game. If you're looking just at stats, a lot of that yardage came well after the game was pretty much decided. The defense caused some of those turnovers, you know. And just because App. not being able to handle a hand-off was not due to Furman's defense, that's as much a part of the game as anything else. So, no gratitude necessary IMO.

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2013, 04:45 PM
congrats purple.

What a foolish statement. By the same token, Furman's unforced penalties in the first half kept the game from being 21-0 before the fans had taken their seats.

Furman won that game easily. They pushed App State around on both sides of the ball and really were threatened only once. The differential in yardage was made up essentially on App's final two possessions, which occurred when the matter was already decided. By then, the only question was by how much Furman would win, not whether Furman would win.

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Now with Hannon back, I just worry that this game might jump-start Furman into becoming a real player in the conference this season.

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind.

Hannon is not a guy that is going to take over a football game. He's a guy much like Billy Napier was at Furman. He can distribute ball, move the sticks, and generally won't make unforced errors out there. Our defense is good enough to keep us in the football game, but Furman has really been consistent quarterback play from turning it around.

I look at the schedule, and outside of LSU there's no real reason to think Furman shouldn't have a shot at winning every remaining game. They won't be favored, obviously, but they should give a good account of themselves.

I do, as an aside, think the Paladins are going to take the conference by storm in 2014.

SpeedkingATL
October 20th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Hopefully WCU can keep climbing and reignite the series of games we had with Furman circa 1983-1986. It's gonna really feel weird in Boone on November 23. GO CATS!
Whee played with a lot of heart yesterday. This year it won't be the typical App/Whee contest.

AppMan
October 20th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Sad to see such a great rivalry end with such a poor game. Two bad teams trying to give the game to each other. App's 5 turnovers and FU's 115 yards of penalties, many in critical situations. The series deserved a better ending game. Best of luck going forward!

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Sad to see such a great rivalry end with such a poor game. Two bad teams trying to give the game to each other. App's 5 turnovers and FU's 115 yards of penalties, many in critical situations. The series deserved a better ending game. Best of luck going forward!

Poor for you guys, perhaps. The penalties are a problem for Furman, and something that certainly needs fixing. Outside of that, though, Furman executed its gameplan, put App away early, and was content playing the clock much of the second half.

The game certainly did not have a lot of the intensity of years' past. I will say, though, it seems like many of the games between the two schools has some freakish play that turns the tide. I don't know how many times a defensive end has returned an interception 97 yards for a score, but I'm sure it doesn't happen often.

Interestingly, an interception return by a defensive lineman signaled App's entrance onto the national scene in 2002. It was a similar play that kind of snuffed out that same flame as an FCS power 11 years later.

T-Dog
October 20th, 2013, 10:27 PM

This is why it didn't work. Does the play at 1:26 look familiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhgdL7m875Q

theasushow
October 20th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Just watched the clip of the return...couldn't help but notice the 80% empty stands in the background...what was the attendance?

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2013, 05:22 AM
Just watched the clip of the return...couldn't help but notice the 80% empty stands in the background...what was the attendance?

Boxscore shows 7,500, but I have a hard time believing that. App State certainly did not bring as many folks as they have in the past, but that figure was like Presbyterian game low, not an App State game low.

Combination, I think, of two teams having underwhelming seasons. Furman's students are struggling to show up after a few years of down football, a huge Clemson home game, and some less-than-ideal weather.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2013, 05:24 AM

I thought it was somewhat of a strange playcall. Do not see too many reverse passes inside the 10 yard line. Even on the 2012 film you can see that even though the App receiver was open, he was surrounded by Furman defenders. Looks like a play that requires a perfect pass or one of any number of defensive players can intercept the ball.

OL FU
October 21st, 2013, 05:48 AM

Don't know the paid attendence but I would guess 500 on the visitor's side and between 3000 and 4000 on the home side Difficult to think about it.

AppMan
October 21st, 2013, 08:13 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhgdL7m875Q

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Furman's staff probably had "Won't Get Fooled Again" written on their playbook for that situation.

AppMan
October 21st, 2013, 08:24 AM
Poor for you guys, perhaps. The penalties are a problem for Furman, and something that certainly needs fixing. Outside of that, though, Furman executed its gameplan, put App away early, and was content playing the clock much of the second half.

The game certainly did not have a lot of the intensity of years' past. I will say, though, it seems like many of the games between the two schools has some freakish play that turns the tide. I don't know how many times a defensive end has returned an interception 97 yards for a score, but I'm sure it doesn't happen often.

Interestingly, an interception return by a defensive lineman signaled App's entrance onto the national scene in 2002. It was a similar play that kind of snuffed out that same flame as an FCS power 11 years later.

Put App away early? The score was 13-3 at the half. ASU turnovers led to 24 of Furman's 27 points. Furman's defense is awful, App's is just worse right now. Had App held onto the ball we would be "celebrating" win #2.