PDA

View Full Version : At a loss for words when trying to explain the MVFC

penguinpower
October 19th, 2013, 08:54 PM
I never thought SDSU or UNI would have 3 conference losses by this point in the season.

I thought UNI was in a different league with NDSU- obviously wrong about that. But the only out of conference loss in FCS by the MVFC is SIU's loss to EIU in Ot?

Still UNI's win over McNeese diplays the strength of the teams overall correct?

YSU is looking like one they could be the #2 team in the Valley now right? YSU's win over SIU at SIU is looking more impressive.

IS SIU out of contention now?

Never in a million years would I have projected that UNI, SDSU, and SIU would have 3 conference losses at this point.

Am I missing something?

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 19th, 2013, 09:00 PM
SIU wins out they are in.

SDSU needs to win out and some help IMO.

UNI is in if they win out but they have 3 out of 5 remaining on the road and they are at SDSU.

NDSU/YSU are in.

Houndawg
October 19th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I never thought SDSU or UNI would have 3 conference losses by this point in the season.

I thought UNI was in a different league with NDSU- obviously wrong about that. But the only out of conference loss in FCS by the MVFC is SIU's loss to EIU in Ot?

Still UNI's win over McNeese diplays the strength of the teams overall correct?

YSU is looking like one they could be the #2 team in the Valley now right? YSU's win over SIU at SIU is looking more impressive.

IS SIU out of contention now?

Never in a million years would I have projected that UNI, SDSU, and SIU would have 3 conference losses at this point.

Am I missing something?

1 - SIU is still your only good win so far.
2 - SIU is still in it for a playoff spot.
3 - SIU doesn't have 3 conference losses at this point.

Twentysix
October 19th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Where the hell did you get your OOC info? That is horridly wrong.

penguinpower
October 19th, 2013, 09:04 PM
3 - SIU doesn't have 3 conference losses at this point.

How can you say that SIU is the only good win when everyone is beating everyone else except YSU and NDSU?

Bisonator
October 19th, 2013, 09:05 PM
It's too bad we have to beat up on each other and cost some good teams a shot at the playoffs. I honestly think the Valley has 6 playoff caliber teams but we may not get more then 3 teams in if we keep knocking each other off every weak.

Twentysix
October 19th, 2013, 09:05 PM
It's too bad we have to beat up on each other and cost some good teams a shot at the playoffs. I honestly think the Valley has 6 playoff caliber teams but we may not get more then 3 teams in if we keep knocking each other off every weak.

The mvfc has one contender, that's all that matters.

penguinpower
October 19th, 2013, 09:06 PM
what ooc losses does the Mvfc have in fcs?

Twentysix
October 19th, 2013, 09:09 PM
what ooc losses does the Mvfc have in fcs?

Well first off, ISU-r and SIU both lost to EIU.

USD lost to Northern Arizona.

Missouri State lost to Northwestern St, Murray State, and Central Arkansas.

Indiana State lost to Tennessee Tech.

Like 6 seconds of research would have saved a ridiculous claim that ultimately devalues the conference.

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Where the hell did you get your OOC info? That is horridly wrong.

True.
Indy State lost to Tennessee Tech.
Missouri State lost 3 OOC FCS games.
USD lost to NAU.

Houndawg
October 19th, 2013, 09:12 PM
How can you say that SIU is the only good win when everyone is beating everyone else except YSU and NDSU?

You're right, after today SIU doesn't look like as good of a win as it did for the past two weeks.

Daved
October 19th, 2013, 09:17 PM
3 - SIU doesn't have 3 conference losses at this point.ANY win is a good win in the MVFC--WIU beat South Dakota 24-10 and was leading Minnesota in the 3rd qtr.UNI kills powerful McNeese and drops Iowa State but loses to South Dakota.

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2013, 09:27 PM
The most baffling game today for me was Missouri State beating SDSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 19th, 2013, 09:30 PM

SDSU lost a lot more on defense than I thought.

Definitely overrated.

Yotes
October 19th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Not even just beating, they had complete control of that game most of the way.

penguinpower
October 19th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Well first off, ISU-r and SIU both lost to EIU.

USD lost to Northern Arizona.

Missouri State lost to Northwestern St, Murray State, and Central Arkansas.

Indiana State lost to Tennessee Tech.

Like 6 seconds of research would have saved a ridiculous claim that ultimately devalues the conference.

Bad post on my part: intended to preface that statement with "Of the preseason conference contenders"

I don't think anyone gave the SD a chance, ISU-blue or Missouri state this year. Everyone else was somehow in the picture early on for playoff contention.

JSUBison
October 19th, 2013, 10:06 PM
MVFC is a two bid league, same as the Patriot.

Drblankstare
October 19th, 2013, 10:44 PM
SDSU losing today is probably the end for them. Right now the only guarantees for the playoffs are YSU and the Bison. UNI is in danger and SIU probably has to win out. I still think the Valley gets 4, but it will be tight.

ValleyTalk
October 19th, 2013, 10:54 PM
I predicted MSU over SDSU. MSU impressed me vs NDSU and I thought they would win. Love seeing USD beat UNI.

You can say our only good win is over SIU, but at the end of the day, NDSU and YSU are a combined 14-1 and 8-0 in MVFC play. I don't care how good or bad a team is, every conference win in this league is a GOOD win.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2013, 06:46 AM
SDSU losing today is probably the end for them. Right now the only guarantees for the playoffs are YSU and the Bison. UNI is in danger and SIU probably has to win out. I still think the Valley gets 4, but it will be tight.

If SIU wins out and is 8-4 they are in.

NDSU is in for sure. No way they lose to Ind State, Ill State at home and USD at home. YSU on the road will be the toughest test the rest of the year.

SDSU will have to win out and get some help. If UNI wins out they will be in....an 8-3 UNI team will be in. USD could make the playoffs if they win out but I do not think that will happen.

The Valley is definitely crazy this year.

blueballs
October 20th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Here's all we need to know about the MVFC and FCS in general... everybody but NDSU is playing for second place.

JayJ79
October 20th, 2013, 02:18 PM
If UNI wins out they will be in....an 8-3 UNI team will be in.
UNI won't finish 8-3 this year, I guarantee it.
(because they play 12 games this season)
a 9-3 UNI team will be in, but they will have to drastically improve their play to finish the rest of the season w/o another loss
an 8-4 UNI team might make it in, but that all depends on the mood of the selection commitee and how the rest of the prospective field looks.

was a very promising team coming into the season, and through the 4.5 games, but they've lost a TON to injury (players unable to play and players playing much less than 100%) and that's exposed their lack of depth.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Valley probably gets 3, and the third might be USD lol. If USD can beat ISU-r on the road, which is looking like a distinct possibility, and win their home games they will be the third playoff entrant from the valley.

taper
October 20th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Transitive property only goes so far in football, but it can be interesting. McNeese will probably win the Southland, they got beat 41-6 by a 0-3 in conference MVFC team. SELA is currently tied for 1st and also lost to a MVFC. The top 2 Big Sky teams both lost to separate Southland teams. Could make the argument that the entire MVFC gets in before a 2nd from either of these. That's extreme and shouldn't happen, but there is precedence for some level of this. 10-1 Lehigh was out and the last place MVFC beat the PL champ.

PantherRob82
October 20th, 2013, 09:33 PM
UNI is not the same team any more and should not be ranked or in the playoff picture.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2013, 11:02 PM
UNI is not the same team any more and should not be ranked or in the playoff picture.

Last year should have made that a distinct reality for everyone.

UNI, or any other team, shouldn't be valued beyond their on field product.

Grizzlies82
October 20th, 2013, 11:34 PM

Not trying to pick a fight but just about every conference can make similar claims about beating up on each other and limiting the conference's potential playoff seats.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Not trying to pick a fight but just about every conference can make similar claims about beating up on each other and limiting the conference's potential playoff seats.

Some people don't watch leagues outside their own, or for that matter, watch games outside ones their own team plays in.

skinny_uncle
October 21st, 2013, 07:53 AM
Transitive property only goes so far in football, but it can be interesting. McNeese will probably win the Southland, they got beat 41-6 by a 0-3 in conference MVFC team. SELA is currently tied for 1st and also lost to a MVFC. The top 2 Big Sky teams both lost to separate Southland teams. Could make the argument that the entire MVFC gets in before a 2nd from either of these. That's extreme and shouldn't happen, but there is precedence for some level of this. 10-1 Lehigh was out and the last place MVFC beat the PL champ.
Not Indiana State or Missouri State.

kalm
October 21st, 2013, 08:54 AM

Oh good lord...
you could also make the case the MVFC (other than NDSU and YSU) is full of mediocre teams unable to play well enough to put winning streaks together.

Also, didn't USD lose to the BSC #4?

RabidRabbit
October 21st, 2013, 08:55 AM
Definitely making Play-offs
NDSU

Still to be determined:
YSU (SIU primary win, but still have SDSU, NDSU, @USD, @UNI) Need at least one win out of these 4.
UNI - Need no more than one more loss, and a bunch of 4-4 teams in conference. Really should win out to make it.
SIU - 7 D-I wins if win out.
SDSU - Needs to win out to have a shot
USD - A LOT of power games to go. Need to win out w/o the OOC wins, and closing out at Fargo, not happening.
WIU - Need some D-I wins.

Already at Crapsville bar:
Mo St.
In St.
Ill St.

semobison
October 21st, 2013, 08:58 AM

I am never surprised by the unpredictability of the MVFC. I would not want to make a living doing preseason rankings or weekly predictions for our conference. We are at midseason and most likely there will be more surprises. A look back at the 2010 standings tells you what the Valley can be like in any given season.

2010 Final MVFC standing in conference games:

UNI 6-2
WIU 5-3
NDSU 4-4
ISUB 4-4
ISUR 4-4
MSU 4-4
SIU 4-4
SDSU 4-4
YSU 1-7

NDSU won its FBS game that season, made the Playoffs where they lost to EWU in OT in the Q finals!