PDA

View Full Version : There are no moral victories, but damn WCU almost pulled it off.

catamount man
October 19th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Led Wofford 17-7 at the half, lost 21-17 and lost throwing 2 incompletions from the 5 yard line with less than 10 seconds left. so............close...................xbawlingxxba wlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx
Due to the new SoCon scheduling, Wofford will come back to Cullowhee in 2014. I cannot wait!

GO CATS!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 19th, 2013, 06:20 PM
After 26 straight conference losses, I would take what you can get.

catamount man
October 19th, 2013, 06:22 PM
After 26 straight conference losses, I would take what you can get. Hopefully we get Elon next week! GO CATS!

Smitty
October 19th, 2013, 06:33 PM
We were competitive, that alone is a victory.

theasushow
October 19th, 2013, 06:39 PM
So close!!!! Wofford had been playing with fire with these 2 game ending goal line stands against teams they should beat handily. Great effort.

GATA_Eagles
October 19th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I was texting my friends up at Western talking about the game and cheering you guys on. I was really hoping you guys would pull out the win. Speir is doing good things up there. You guys could still get a win this season.

theasushow
October 19th, 2013, 06:42 PM
They might beat the brake dust off of asu,

cmaxwellgsu
October 19th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Fighting is the biggest part of the battle for WCU right now. I know I typed a stupid statement, but the fact your players are fighting rather than getting down shows your staff is improving the team. I think the Catamounts are doing a great job given the hand they've been dealt.

344Johnson
October 19th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Schools like WCU are allowed to claim moral victories.

SoCon2013
October 19th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I was texting my friends up at Western talking about the game and cheering you guys on. I was really hoping you guys would pull out the win. Speir is doing good things up there. You guys could still get a win this season.

....and it might just be against the team that some of their fans say is not a rival.

ASU_Fanatic
October 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I agree Speir will get then winning eventually but he was way too conservative in the third quarter. He tried to sit on a 10-point lead and the WCU offense had no life in the third. The Panthers have lost many games this way. WCU's best plays are passes, Troy Mitchell is one of the best young QBs in the SoCon but WCU took few risks on offense in the third and it killed them. Players can get down over this, one more win for them this year would be massive. Hopefully Speir and the WCU offense learn from today.

chattanoogamocs
October 19th, 2013, 07:52 PM
We were competitive, that alone is a victory.

Watching the first half...especially the intensity on defense, I kept saying to myself "this is not an awful looking team"

theasushow
October 19th, 2013, 08:04 PM
You won't be saying that after you see asu play..,

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Western will be there eventually.

catamount man
October 20th, 2013, 05:40 AM
I agree Speir will get then winning eventually but he was way too conservative in the third quarter. He tried to sit on a 10-point lead and the WCU offense had no life in the third. The Panthers have lost many games this way. WCU's best plays are passes, Troy Mitchell is one of the best young QBs in the SoCon but WCU took few risks on offense in the third and it killed them. Players can get down over this, one more win for them this year would be massive. Hopefully Speir and the WCU offense learn from today.

Yep, I kept thinking "Brad Glenn, open up the playbook!" Man, I hope we beat Elon next week! GO CATS!

ASU_Fanatic
October 20th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Yep, I kept thinking "Brad Glenn, open up the playbook!" Man, I hope we beat Elon next week! GO CATS!
I'm rooting for you guys. I have a ton of friends at Western, texted one of them this morning and he said he's still not close to being over it. Please beat Elon.

eaglewraith
October 20th, 2013, 02:50 PM
You guys got screwed on that fumble call.

catamount man
October 20th, 2013, 02:53 PM
You guys got screwed on that fumble call. OMG Yes! That kid from Wofford was nowhere near the ground and don't forget that no call on a blatant pass interference in the 4th quarter. I bet folks over in Cherokee could hear Speir yelling. Unreal. Never understood why the lower teams in any conference get the no calls constantly. I just want them to take it out on Elon and in a big way! Send them back I-40 east with their asses on fire! GO CATS!

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2013, 02:53 PM
You guys got screwed on that fumble call.

to be fair, it was pretty close. forward progress had already stopped but if they had called it a fumble I could definitely have understood it.

catamount man
October 20th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Talk about youth but Speir said it best after the game. 34 of the top 44 on the depth chart are either true or RS freshmen. Nowhere to go but up. GO CATS!

Smitty
October 22nd, 2013, 07:08 AM
This is how close Western was to possibly winning the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4IOdul-1p8

I unfortunately agree with the call that was made however.

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2013, 07:14 AM
Forward progress or no, the ball appeared to be out before the whistle. Granted, SoCon officials often miss easy calls much less tough calls. I do think that as long as you are fighting for more yardage, the refs should let you play on.

Wofford's #33 needs to be careful not to tip his runs. He was leaning well before the ball was snapped (and, if I would bet his eyes were looking right at the running lane too). Good linebacker will eat your lunch if you do that.

SpeedkingATL
October 22nd, 2013, 08:16 AM
Whee played a real strong game on Saturday. Nice that it was available on ESPN 3 also. Whee appears to be getting better every week which is what you hope for with a very young team. Hope you guys beat Elon because I don't want you coming to The Rock any hungrier that you will be anyway.

elcid83
October 22nd, 2013, 08:50 AM
It must have been raining in the first half. We know Wofford can't play in the rain. [YT might be the only one who gets this.]

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

SoCon2013
October 22nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
Whee played a real strong game on Saturday. Nice that it was available on ESPN 3 also. Whee appears to be getting better every week which is what you hope for with a very young team. Hope you guys beat Elon because I don't want you coming to The Rock any hungrier that you will be anyway.

Personally, I want everybody to beat Elon and especially a Speir coached team.

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2013, 09:57 AM
It must have been raining in the first half. We know Wofford can't play in the rain. [YT might be the only one who gets this.]

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Excuses aside, Wofford is a good team with a mediocre offense. They can blame the weather, inconsistency, self destruction, or whatever. The reality is they are middle of the pack.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

enjoy sitting at home during the playoffs this year

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2013, 11:43 AM
Excuses aside, Wofford is a good team with a mediocre offense. They can blame the weather, inconsistency, self destruction, or whatever. The reality is they are middle of the pack.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. Turnovers were a problem in the first half for Wofford (as it was against Elon) but our offense is as good as it's ever been. We're definitely much better than we were last year. We have a pitch game and a pass game that was nonexistent last year.

Last year we peeked at App State with 38 points but after that we only scored 86 points on offense through 6 games. Last year, minus Lincoln, we only had 5 400 yard games (against teams with terrible defenses GW, Western, Elon, App, and New Hampshire) this year we already have 4 +a 391 yard game against better defenses (Citadel and GSU namely). We played poorly against GW and Baylor but overall our offensive is much better than it was last year, if anything by the eye test. We had no consistency at QB in that we couldn't find one to play, whereas now our problem is finding a QB that will get in rhythm fast enough to get us to a quick start (which has only happened like once this year, against PC)

If we don't turn the ball over against Elon early in the first quarter we win that game by 2 scores. Same with Western. I will admit that turnovers are a problem this year, but to say our offense is mediocre is just laughable.

If anything criticize the defensive secondary as that it the only place I worry about.

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2013, 12:35 PM
Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. Turnovers were a problem in the first half for Wofford (as it was against Elon) but our offense is as good as it's ever been. We're definitely much better than we were last year. We have a pitch game and a pass game that was nonexistent last year.

Last year we peeked at App State with 38 points but after that we only scored 86 points on offense through 6 games. Last year, minus Lincoln, we only had 5 400 yard games (against teams with terrible defenses GW, Western, Elon, App, and New Hampshire) this year we already have 4 +a 391 yard game against better defenses (Citadel and GSU namely). We played poorly against GW and Baylor but overall our offensive is much better than it was last year, if anything by the eye test. We had no consistency at QB in that we couldn't find one to play, whereas now our problem is finding a QB that will get in rhythm fast enough to get us to a quick start (which has only happened like once this year, against PC)

If we don't turn the ball over against Elon early in the first quarter we win that game by 2 scores. Same with Western. I will admit that turnovers are a problem this year, but to say our offense is mediocre is just laughable.

If anything criticize the defensive secondary as that it the only place I worry about.

Of course your offense is mediocre! They are middle of the conference in nearly every statistical category. Those numbers include, by the way, the fact that Wofford has already had the luxury of doing something no other SoCon team has done - play both of the conference's two worst defenses. The only offensive category where Wofford ranks above the pack is in rushing yards, and that's only because they run the option.

It is a logical anomaly that you begin every argument with "if." "If our offense was more consistent..."; "if hadn't rained...;" "If we didn't turn it over...;" Those are just excuses. Further, saying this team is better offensively than last year's team because of new found pitch game ignores the obvious - Wofford had the country's best running back last season at fullback and didn't need the pitch. In fact, through seven games this season Wofford's run game has almost managed toequal Britenstein's output last year by himself.

At the end of the day Wofford is a good team. You can call them whatever you want, but under no objective standard is their offense anything other than mediocre. They are league average in everything, even 3rd and 4th down conversions (a place where option offenses typically shine). You look at the numbers, and they are not substantially better than Furman on offense, and Furman has played a quarter of the season with their fourth string quarterback.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2013, 03:49 PM
Of course your offense is mediocre! They are middle of the conference in nearly every statistical category. Those numbers include, by the way, the fact that Wofford has already had the luxury of doing something no other SoCon team has done - play both of the conference's two worst defenses. The only offensive category where Wofford ranks above the pack is in rushing yards, and that's only because they run the option.

It is a logical anomaly that you begin every argument with "if." "If our offense was more consistent..."; "if hadn't rained...;" "If we didn't turn it over...;" Those are just excuses. Further, saying this team is better offensively than last year's team because of new found pitch game ignores the obvious - Wofford had the country's best running back last season at fullback and didn't need the pitch. In fact, through seven games this season Wofford's run game has almost managed toequal Britenstein's output last year by himself.

At the end of the day Wofford is a good team. You can call them whatever you want, but under no objective standard is their offense anything other than mediocre. They are league average in everything, even 3rd and 4th down conversions (a place where option offenses typically shine). You look at the numbers, and they are not substantially better than Furman on offense, and Furman has played a quarter of the season with their fourth string quarterback.

Those stats are pretty skewed given we came out against Baylor and GW and laid an egg.

The fact is, you're only looking at the stats and the stats can be very deceptive; they aren't the be-all, end-all. If you look at the stats are defense is pretty average. You take out the Baylor game and we're at the top. Funny, everyone throws us a bone when it comes to our defense because they see our defense perform when it needs to, but you neglect to apply the same reasoning when it comes to the offensive performance.

As I said, if you apply the eye test we're a much more diverse offensive team this year. Last year it was EB left, EB right, EB up the middle, and we would struggle to do anything involving the pitch game unless we were playing a piss poor defense. This year, that's not the case as we're more deep at running back as we've ever been, we pass the ball more and with more success, and in general the QBs are better at pitching the ball, reads, and so on (something we didn't have last year as all of the QBs had played little to no snaps and or didn't have the athletic ability to run the option such as Brian Kass).

Further, I find it odd that you can say that we've performed average statistically on offense given the fact that we've played the 2 worst defenses when in reality we've played the 2 best defenses against the option as well. Georgia Southern and the Citadel run the option every day in practice, were relatively more healthy, and better prepared for us (we played both as their first "serious game" of the season, some think that's why the Citadel lost to CSU as they were looking ahead, and GSU had 2 cupcakes before playing us) and we still racked up 100 to 150 yards more on offense than we did the year before (all of these comparisons being in regards to the year before).

As for the logic thing, you obviously don't understand how logic works. Any time you have a proposition it's somewhat in an if/than format, especially when you're dealing with events that are dialectical (IE have a lot of factors and possible outcomes). So, when I say IF we don't turn the ball over, we'll play a better game than if we don't, that's my prediction and that's the format of how I've predicted games in the last couple years (you're not the first one to ~call me out on this~). I'm more genuine than most people in that I acknowledge that I'm a homer and that saying anyone on here is objective is total nonsense. So to bridge this empasse for a more productive understanding of how the game may unfold, I predict like this. Either way it's the way I've done things for like 2 years and if you're just now noticing, the only thing I can say is "read better."

(and on a side note I'm pretty sure anyone would predict that an option team that turned the ball over in their own territory early would go down double digits early regardless of who they were playing, and coming back would be a multiple-quarter affair given that the option is generally not a quick strike offense 80% of the time.)

I find it kind of stupid that you, who have admittedly not watched that much Wofford football, this year or otherwise (I mean, afterall, all you do is appeal to statistics) think you have a better understanding of the mechanics of the team than I do, who have been watching for 10 years, and in particular the last 3-5 analytically.

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2013, 04:22 PM
Those stats are pretty skewed given we came out against Baylor and GW and laid an egg.

The fact is, you're only looking at the stats and the stats can be very deceptive; they aren't the be-all, end-all. If you look at the stats are defense is pretty average. You take out the Baylor game and we're at the top. Funny, everyone throws us a bone when it comes to our defense because they see our defense perform when it needs to, but you neglect to apply the same reasoning when it comes to the offensive performance.

As I said, if you apply the eye test we're a much more diverse offensive team this year. Last year it was EB left, EB right, EB up the middle, and we would struggle to do anything involving the pitch game unless we were playing a piss poor defense. This year, that's not the case as we're more deep at running back as we've ever been, we pass the ball more and with more success, and in general the QBs are better at pitching the ball, reads, and so on (something we didn't have last year as all of the QBs had played little to no snaps and or didn't have the athletic ability to run the option such as Brian Kass).

Further, I find it odd that you can say that we've performed average statistically on offense given the fact that we've played the 2 worst defenses when in reality we've played the 2 best defenses against the option as well. Georgia Southern and the Citadel run the option every day in practice, were relatively more healthy, and better prepared for us (we played both as their first "serious game" of the season, some think that's why the Citadel lost to CSU as they were looking ahead, and GSU had 2 cupcakes before playing us) and we still racked up 100 to 150 yards more on offense than we did the year before (all of these comparisons being in regards to the year before).

As for the logic thing, you obviously don't understand how logic works. Any time you have a proposition it's somewhat in an if/than format, especially when you're dealing with events that are dialectical (IE have a lot of factors and possible outcomes). So, when I say IF we don't turn the ball over, we'll play a better game than if we don't, that's my prediction and that's the format of how I've predicted games in the last couple years (you're not the first one to ~call me out on this~). I'm more genuine than most people in that I acknowledge that I'm a homer and that saying anyone on here is objective is total nonsense. So to bridge this empasse for a more productive understanding of how the game may unfold, I predict like this. Either way it's the way I've done things for like 2 years and if you're just now noticing, the only thing I can say is "read better."

(and on a side note I'm pretty sure anyone would predict that an option team that turned the ball over in their own territory early would go down double digits early regardless of who they were playing, and coming back would be a multiple-quarter affair given that the option is generally not a quick strike offense 80% of the time.)

I find it kind of stupid that you, who have admittedly not watched that much Wofford football, this year or otherwise (I mean, afterall, all you do is appeal to statistics) think you have a better understanding of the mechanics of the team than I do, who have been watching for 10 years, and in particular the last 3-5 analytically.

Did I say the team was less diverse that last year? No. Does diversity make good offense? No. Scoring touchdowns makes good offense.

You continue to make excuses. Wofford scored three total points against Baylor and Gardner Webb. You say they "laid an egg." These are just excuses. Good offenses don't have to explain why they underpreform.

Let's leave it at this. We will just consider Wofford's offense a good diverse unit that passes your eye test yet struggles with consistency, egglaying, turnovers, and scoring touchdowns.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2013, 05:20 PM
Did I say the team was less diverse that last year? No. Does diversity make good offense? No. Scoring touchdowns makes good offense.

You continue to make excuses. Wofford scored three total points against Baylor and Gardner Webb. You say they "laid an egg." These are just excuses. Good offenses don't have to explain why they underpreform.

Let's leave it at this. We will just consider Wofford's offense a good diverse unit that passes your eye test yet struggles with consistency, egglaying, turnovers, and scoring touchdowns.

Diversity does help the offense in the option. The fact that you comment on this and not know that or understand that is pretty indicative on your part.

It's better to get the kinks out early in the season than late. Wofford's performed worse against lesser teams in the past and found ways to put things together. We suffer from a lack of offensive consistency and that's about. The turnovers are an anomaly of the last 2 games alone; they're something very avoidable.

You can say I'm making excuses, but I think I'm being less lazy in analysis.

turnovers and turnover margin this year

Baylor 3 (-1)
Citadel 2 (-1)
GSU 1 (+2)
Gardner Webb 3 (even)
PC 2 (+1)
Elon 2 (-2)
Western 3 (-3)

We probably lead the socon in turnovers, which undoubtedly has a connection to scoring. (we are the league second worst in turnover margin, only to App state)

In games we've played poorly in, we've either turned the ball over more than twice or we've lost the turnover margin battle by 2+. That's going to hurt any team, especially a team that plays ball control and runs the ball primarily.

Point is, we don't turn the ball over, we play at a high level.

Also, if you're using TSN as your source for stats they are not up to date. We're going to move up a few spots after this week.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2013, 05:38 PM
Also, when it comes to Wofford's offense ~being terrible~ or whatever, yes we are 6th in the conference........but we're within 20 yards or so of being 4th and less than a yard from being 5th. Just because you're ranked in a certain place doesn't mean you're terrible in that category, if that were true Furman wouldn't have any say in its run game being worth anything as they would consistently be 4th or lower.

Not to mention that you're not factoring in where teams like Chattanooga played not only Western and Elon but teams like Austin Peay and Georgia State and still managed to find a way to be only 20 yards or so more than Wofford.

So in short, yeah, ranking-wise Wofford may not be in good standing but rankings are all relative. If you look at the stats and trends, the only thing that really holds us back is turnovers.

DoWe
October 22nd, 2013, 06:54 PM

Woffy is a well-coached team accustomed to winning. That has taken many a mediocre team to the playoffs when they otherwise would have finished middle of the pack..

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2013, 07:21 AM
Woffy is a well-coached team accustomed to winning. That has taken many a mediocre team to the playoffs when they otherwise would have finished middle of the pack..

I'm not arguing Wofford isn't a good team. Mike Ayers with a sturdy stick is better in a fight than most coaches with a broad sword.

dungeonjoe
October 23rd, 2013, 11:34 AM
I'm not arguing Wofford isn't a good team. Mike Ayers with a sturdy stick is better in a fight than most coaches with a broad sword.
On that point we agree. Wofford is inconsistent. But we are, as hopefully all of us are, moving toward perfection. It may come in fits and starts, but ayers only has 20 more years to work it out.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
On that point we agree. Wofford is inconsistent. But we are, as hopefully all of us are, moving toward perfection. It may come in fits and starts, but ayers only has 20 more years to work it out.

Perfection is a lofty goal. I'm reluctant, though, to give Ayers that much time to do anything.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 23rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
There is a difference between being failing to score points because your offense is clumsy and not scoring points because you can't advance the ball. Clumsiness can be fixed much more easily than ineptness can and Ayers is a guy who can do that.

I'll make the following prediction...if Wofford has an even or positive turnover differential they will beat Samford by two touchdowns.

longtimemocfan
October 23rd, 2013, 12:10 PM
I said this in a earlier thread, but I saw some good young talent on both sides of the ball for Western when they played here against us. I'd say Furman and Western have the 2 youngest teams in the conference.

dungeonjoe
October 23rd, 2013, 01:04 PM
Perfection is a lofty goal. I'm reluctant, though, to give Ayers that much time to do anything.
Your sense of humor must be on the injured list with the rest of the Paladin team this year.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2013, 01:33 PM
I said this in a earlier thread, but I saw some good young talent on both sides of the ball for Western when they played here against us. I'd say Furman and Western have the 2 youngest teams in the conference.

I think I've read where Furman's roster is 51% freshmen. There are only two seniors on the two deep on defense, and only three on offense, and our placekicker/punter is also a senior.

Most Furman fans hoped for the best in 2013, and while no one really wants to look down the road, its hard not to see the Paladins as a legitimate contender in 2014.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2013, 06:10 PM
There is a difference between being failing to score points because your offense is clumsy and not scoring points because you can't advance the ball. Clumsiness can be fixed much more easily than ineptness can and Ayers is a guy who can do that.

I'll make the following prediction...if Wofford has an even or positive turnover differential they will beat Samford by two touchdowns.

I agree with this prediction. With that said, if we go down 3 scores early like we did against Elon, I don't think we'll win for obvious reasons.

Either way, I think it's laughable to say that Wofford's offense hasn't improved from last year. We weren't really a points machine last year either

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2013, 06:00 AM
I agree with this prediction. With that said, if we go down 3 scores early like we did against Elon, I don't think we'll win for obvious reasons.

Either way, I think it's laughable to say that Wofford's offense hasn't improved from last year. We weren't really a points machine last year either

Wofford has never been a "points machine." At least not in the SoCon. They have never had an offense that comes anywhere close to the Georgia Southern offenses of the late 90s, the Furman offenses of the mid 2000s, and the App offenses of the late 2000s.

I have no idea why you are arguing Wofford's offense is better this year than last. I don't mind the general premise that Wofford's offense, with more consistency and fewer turnovers, can be a good offense. But to argue that Wofford's numbers this year are better than their offense last year, while putting up fewer points, fewer yards, fewer first downs, fewer conversions, and without a Payton candidate just ignores the obvious. The only statistic where I can find Wofford actually surpassing last year's team is in average passing yards per game. In everything else it's not even remotely close.

Call it "laughable" or whatever you want. At the end of the day, the only facts you have supporting your proposition is your own subjective opinion.

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Wofford has never been a "points machine." At least not in the SoCon. They have never had an offense that comes anywhere close to the Georgia Southern offenses of the late 90s, the Furman offenses of the mid 2000s, and the App offenses of the late 2000s.

I have no idea why you are arguing Wofford's offense is better this year than last. I don't mind the general premise that Wofford's offense, with more consistency and fewer turnovers, can be a good offense. But to argue that Wofford's numbers this year are better than their offense last year, while putting up fewer points, fewer yards, fewer first downs, fewer conversions, and without a Payton candidate just ignores the obvious. The only statistic where I can find Wofford actually surpassing last year's team is in average passing yards per game. In everything else it's not even remotely close.

Call it "laughable" or whatever you want. At the end of the day, the only facts you have supporting your proposition is your own subjective opinion.

Well again, you discredit yourself because before say, 2010, the big thing about Wofford was that we had a real good offense but a so-so defense. For instance, in 2008, in all but 1 FCS game we scored 28 points or more, averaging 36.6 points a game. The same goes for the year 2007. Those teams in that stretch had roughly the same amount of points per game as the Furman squads you alluded to

Stick to talking about Furman football because you've proven once more you have no understanding of how other teams have worked, historically or otherwise.

As for how are stats go, you ignore how last year we came out strong out the gate in the first 4 games, playing 4 absolutely atrocious teams defensively. We racked up more points (and probably more yardage) in the first 4 games than we did the rest of the season (9 games). We also racked up roughly 1/3 to 40% of the offensive yardage for the season in those 4 games.

This year, our offense is more balanced as when you take out the first 4 games we averaged roughly 350 yards, and this year against FCS/GSU competition we've been at roughly 400 yards or more in all but one game. If you're going to neglect that that's fine, but don't prance around like your perspective holds any water.

Stats don't mean anything without context to them, and I find it annoying that you keep saying things are my subjective opinion, when context is not a subjective thing. You can neglect the context all you want, but that doesn't make it less real. Statistically I wouldn't disagree that Wofford may have less yardage and probably less points, but that doesn't mean that our overall consistency isn't better. Factor out the 82-0 win by us and the skewed stats of that game, and you'll see that we're roughly the same statistically right now.

phoenix3
October 24th, 2013, 11:51 AM

And if Elon doesn't run the same play 4 straight times within the 5 yardline, Elon goes home with a win. The "if" crap is juvenile. I agree with Paladin fan. We'll see who's right over the next 4 games, you may just be sitting home for the playoffs too.

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2013, 12:58 PM
And if Elon doesn't run the same play 4 straight times within the 5 yardline, Elon goes home with a win. The "if" crap is juvenile. I agree with Paladin fan. We'll see who's right over the next 4 games, you may just be sitting home for the playoffs too.

If Ingle Martin doesn't fall down at the 5 yard line, Furman wins a second national championship. Heck, if they had not fumbled on the 1 yard line in 2004 against James Madison, odds are they would have been playing for their third. These argument can go on forever.

CID1990
October 24th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Samford is going to whip Wofford like the family mule.

Feel free to quote the above in your siggie if I'm wrong.

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 11:17 PM
If Ingle Martin doesn't fall down at the 5 yard line, Furman wins a second national championship. Heck, if they had not fumbled on the 1 yard line in 2004 against James Madison, odds are they would have been playing for their third. These argument can go on forever.

http://i.qkme.me/3q32gg.jpg

catamount man
October 25th, 2013, 06:58 AM
I think I've read where Furman's roster is 51% freshmen. There are only two seniors on the two deep on defense, and only three on offense, and our placekicker/punter is also a senior.

Most Furman fans hoped for the best in 2013, and while no one really wants to look down the road, its hard not to see the Paladins as a legitimate contender in 2014.

With 34 of WCU's top 44 on the depth chart being RS-FR or true FR, the game between the 2 of us in 2015 and 2016 may be the top game in the conference. Hope so. Good luck on the Bayou! GO CATS!