PDA

View Full Version : C'mon people, let's get the name right

blur2005
October 2nd, 2006, 09:09 PM
How hard is it to type I-AA? Really?

It's not 1AA, 1-AA or any other bastardization you can think of. Gese.

Maroon&White
October 2nd, 2006, 09:14 PM

Are you really complaining about this? Wow. :eek:

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2006, 09:18 PM

I hear you and I get crap each time I correct someone...heck, you forgot the Div II references...ugh!

Anyhow, just wait til Christimas time when our name changes. I was watching the Texas-SHSU replay on Fox Sports Southwest and the play by play guy referred to the name change incorrectly saying we'd be the playoff championship series...:nono:

October 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Are you really complaining about this? Wow. :eek:Uh, the NCAA has been complaining about it forever. Wonder why the name was changed starting this playoff-season??? For instance is it EKU or EKyU or EKYou or EaKyU??? Geez, is spelling so hard?

MR. CHICKEN
October 2nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
IS BLUR....RALPH'S....ALTER-EGO?...............AWK!

Maroon&White
October 2nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Uh, the NCAA has been complaining about it forever. Wonder why the name was changed starting this playoff-season??? For instance is it EKU or EKyU or EKYou or EaKyU??? Geez, is spelling so hard?

Making a mountain out of a mole hill...

October 2nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Making a mountain out of a mole hill...If the shoe fits...

October 2nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
Making a mountain out of a mole hill...You MASS, or Massa, or UMess, or UM-Amherst, or umAss, or Mass-Boston... see?

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
SHS..when it should be SHSU

Maroon&White
October 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM
You MASS, or Massa, or UMess, or UM-Amherst, or umAss, or Mass-Boston... see?

haha, what a pathetic arguement. Your comparing two completely different things.

GSUISBACK
October 2nd, 2006, 10:16 PM
Making a mountain out of a mole hill...
yep

October 2nd, 2006, 10:18 PM
haha, what a pathetic arguement. Your comparing two completely different things.Ouch, that smack hurt so bad you even have your GaSU brethren on your side.... :cool: :rolleyes: Spelling is spelling and if you can't type I instead of 1 it is purposeful. That's the topic of this thread. See? Sorry, the NCAA and all supporters of I-AA have been railing for correct spelling forever. I'm not the first to say it.

Hansel
October 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
its as easy to type I as it is to type 1........

blackfordpu
October 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
SHS..when it should be SHSU

That drives me BONKERS!:bang:

crunifan
October 2nd, 2006, 10:46 PM
I know how you guys feel.

Irks me when people say No. Iowa, N. Iowa, or God forbid NIU. If you want to abbreviate use UNI people. Then again I am picky, not a fan of being called Northern Iowa either (yes, I know, it is our name). But when you go through life and finally around age 10 you learn that UNI actually stands for something and the school's name isn't literally three letters...xlolx

Maroon&White
October 2nd, 2006, 11:25 PM
Ouch, that smack hurt so bad you even have your GaSU brethren on your side.... :cool: :rolleyes: Spelling is spelling and if you can't type I instead of 1 it is purposeful. That's the topic of this thread. See? Sorry, the NCAA and all supporters of I-AA have been railing for correct spelling forever. I'm not the first to say it.

Disagreeing with someone isn't smack.

Calling UMass, UMass, Mass, Massachusetts or University of Massachusetts is equivalent of saying IAA, 1AA or I-AA. It means the exact same thing.

Your constant nitpicking about any "slight" you see against IAA is absolutely ridiculous.

Golden Eagle
October 2nd, 2006, 11:33 PM
its as easy to type I as it is to type 1........

Well, think about it the way they do. They think in their heads the words "one double a", and so it is natural, due to years of schooling and whatnot, to put the Arabic numeral rather than the Roman one.

Be glad they don't do what I did when I first got interested in I-AA... for years I called it "Division 2-A". xlolx

SuperJon
October 2nd, 2006, 11:37 PM
I was at a hockey game about two weeks ago. Our team just moved up to ACHA Division 1. I had a kid sit behind me say, "I love that the team is Division 1 now. I just wish our football team could make it to Division I." I about punched him.

AggiePride
October 2nd, 2006, 11:51 PM
I'm just glad everyone here speaks english, because you guys would get really worked up and upset having to check for all those spelling errors!

UNHWildCats
October 3rd, 2006, 12:14 AM
calling I-AA 1AA or 1-AA is the equivilence of calling Super Bowl XLI Super Bowl 41. sports writers that dont normally write about I-AA dont get anything right, the least they could do is get the name right for the last few months we have it.

UNHWildCats
October 3rd, 2006, 12:15 AM
I'm just glad everyone here speaks english, because you guys would get really worked up and upset having to check for all those spelling errors!

Uno-AA xlolx xlolx

UNHWildCats
October 3rd, 2006, 12:20 AM

一-AA Thats the #1 in chinese :P

October 3rd, 2006, 12:23 AM
Disagreeing with someone isn't smack... Your constant nitpicking about any "slight" you see against IAA is absolutely ridiculous."pathetic" and "ridiculous" are smack. : smh : Some folks here are so used to smacking on messageboards they don't even realize when they are doing it! xcoffeex Get in tune folks, we are a community and we should respect our fellow members. You're not in Kansas anymore as they say in the Wizard of Oz...

catbob
October 3rd, 2006, 02:53 AM
Actually, typing a 1 is much easier than I because I requires you push two whole buttons down at the same time, so I can see why some would refuse to do it.

RobsPics
October 3rd, 2006, 04:32 AM
Actually, typing a 1 is much easier than I because I requires you push two whole buttons down at the same time, so I can see why some would refuse to do it.

Very true indeed.

Typing "1" is 100% easier than typing "I" it seems.

ChickenMan
October 3rd, 2006, 06:53 AM
Let me count the ways...

I-AA
1-AA
IAA
1AA
I-aa
1-aa
Iaa
1aa
One AA
One Double A

:dizzy:

Saint3333
October 3rd, 2006, 07:41 AM

If you've ever called Appalachian State "Appy" you have no room to talk.

BTW way who cares... as long as someone isn't calling us Div. 2 I'm fine with it.

UAalum72
October 3rd, 2006, 07:49 AM
Thought this was going to be another Stoneybrooke, Duquense, Cal-Davis discussion.

Even the NCAA doesn't always get it 'right'
http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/ed_outreach/champs-life_skills/Newsletters/200311_champs_newsletter.pdf (page 2)

LacesOut
October 3rd, 2006, 08:14 AM
Wow, just wow. Five children get shot and killed yesterday in a horrible massacre, and people are complaining, crying, and whining about typing errors on a frickin' football message board. A football message board, I said. Ugghhhhhhhh. Unbelievable.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 3rd, 2006, 08:33 AM
The point to me is that we are the fans and ones who care about I-AA more than probably anyone else. If we don't get it right, we know the media never will. The least we can do is be correct on here together.

OT: Yes, that tragedy in PA was horrifying. This is a football board though. This friendly argumentative banter has nothing to do with that. If anything, be glad we have escapes like this board and the sport of football itself to help us endure the sometimes oh so harsh realities we face each day.

Cap'n Cat
October 3rd, 2006, 08:41 AM
"pathetic" and "ridiculous" are smack. : smh : Some folks here are so used to smacking on messageboards they don't even realize when they are doing it! xcoffeex Get in tune folks, we are a community and we should respect our fellow members. You're not in Kansas anymore as they say in the Wizard of Oz...

Ralph,
Is Kansas "KS" or "KA"?

xlolx :bawling: xlolx :bawling: xlolx :bawling: xlolx :bawling: xlolx :bawling: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx :bawling: :bawling: xlolx xlolx

psc2445
October 3rd, 2006, 08:54 AM

geez!

LacesOut
October 3rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
The point to me is that we are the fans and ones who care about I-AA more than probably anyone else. If we don't get it right, we know the media never will. The least we can do is be correct on here together.

OT: Yes, that tragedy in PA was horrifying. This is a football board though. This friendly argumentative banter has nothing to do with that. If anything, be glad we have escapes like this board and the sport of football itself to help us endure the sometimes oh so harsh realities we face each day.

Excellent points. I agree.

And I wasn't trying to actually compare the two, a football MB and a horrible massacre. Just trying to say that, imo, there are just so many other important things in the world than football, sports, spelling, a MB, etc, etc..

Ivytalk
October 3rd, 2006, 09:16 AM
Or, as e.e. cummings might say, i-aa!:D

shakdaddy3
October 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM
i don't care how it's spelled.. spelling, afterall, is arbitrary. as long as other people know what you are saying or talking about, well, that's all that matters. Besides, it won't be I-AA, 1AA, iaa, etc. for much longer...

October 3rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
Ralph, Is Kansas "KS" or "KA"?Doesn't matter because that state doesn't have a I-AA team! :nod:

Cap'n Cat
October 3rd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Doesn't matter because that state doesn't have a I-AA team! :nod:

Pittsburg State is not I-AA???

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :( :( :( :( :( :(

I thought they were in the Big Sky.

bison95
October 3rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Pittsburg State is not I-AA???

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :( :( :( :( :( :(

I thought they were in the Big Sky.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

RobsPics
October 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
Wow, just wow. Five children get shot and killed yesterday in a horrible massacre, and people are complaining, crying, and whining about typing errors on a frickin' football message board. A football message board, I said. Ugghhhhhhhh. Unbelievable.

Time to lock down all the threads on every single Internet message forum!!!!

We need to only talk about dead kids because everything else is so unimportant!

EKU05
October 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM

Yes, but our complaint normally is that we aren't recognized as Division I a lot of the time. At least mine is...I don't care much what type of numeral they use as long as they get the point across. Also, there is quite a difference between typing on a message board and using your own cutsie little way of typing it, and getting it wrong in a newspaper. It's like trying to argue that the same decorum anf formalities are necessary for both a scholarly article and an instant message. It's just apples and oranges.

To be clear on my point of view...it does make me angry when we are referred to as Division II or I-A is reffered to as "Division I." However, as long as people are clear that we are part of Division I...I don't have a huge problem with something like 1AA.

Also...on the totally different subject of ways to refer to my school...some I do like and some I just think are deliberately confusing. For example...

I'm fine with....

EKU
Eastern Kentucky
E. Kentucky
Eastern KY

I don't like...

E. Kent

I'm also not a huge fan of "EKY." But I can live with that one. I don't care what people refer to things as...as long as what they chose to call it gets the point across. I think 1AA does that well enough...but that's just IMO.