18. Delaware Blue Hens 2-2 723 17
19. Harvard Crimson 3-0 695 22
20. Eastern Illinois Panthers 2-3 405 20
21. Georgia Southern Eagles 2-2 389 NR
22. Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks 4-1 251 NR
23. Central Connecticut Blue Devils 4-1 250 NR
24. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 3-1 248 NR
25. San Diego University Toreros 4-0 198 NR
Others receiving votes: Princeton 193, Western Illinois 152, McNeese State 147, Maine 103, Central Arkansas 61, Jacksonville State 60, Jackson State 59, Albany 47, Western Carolina 47, Northwestern State 40, Southern Utah 38, Western Kentucky 37, Penn 26, Charleston Southern 13, Norfolk State 13, Hofstra 12, Montana State 12, Northern Arizona 11, Mississippi Valley State 5, Southeast Missouri State 5, Texas State 5, Wofford 5.

TigerFan17
October 2nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
1. New Hampshire Wildcats (81) 4-0 2,552 1
2. Appalachian State Mountaineers (21) 4-1 2,457 2
3. Furman Paladins 4-1 2,252 3
4. Montana Grizzlies 3-1 2,195 4
5. Cal Poly Mustangs 4-1 2,065 5
6. Illinois State Redbirds 3-1 1,996 6
7. Richmond Spiders 4-0 1,939 7
8. Youngstown State Penguins 4-1 1,831 8
9. Southern Illinois Salukis (1) 4-0 1,730 10
10. Massachusetts Minutemen 3-1 1,711 9
11. North Dakota State Bison 4-0 1,576 11
12. Hampton Pirates 5-0 1,476 12
13. James Madison Dukes 3-1 1,296 15
14. Northern Iowa Panthers 2-2 1,229 13
15. Portland State Vikings 3-2 1,007 14
16. UC Davis Aggies 2-2 957 18
17. Towson Tigers 4-0 931 19
18. Delaware Blue Hens 2-2 723 17
19. Harvard Crimson 3-0 695 22
20. Eastern Illinois Panthers 2-3 405 20
21. Georgia Southern Eagles 2-2 389 NR
22. Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks 4-1 251 NR
23. Central Connecticut Blue Devils 4-1 250 NR
24. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 3-1 248 NR
25. San Diego University Toreros 4-0 198 NR
Others receiving votes: Princeton 193, Western Illinois 152, McNeese State 147, Maine 103, Central Arkansas 61, Jacksonville State 60, Jackson State 59, Albany 47, Western Carolina 47, Northwestern State 40, Southern Utah 38, Western Kentucky 37, Penn 26, Charleston Southern 13, Norfolk State 13, Hofstra 12, Montana State 12, Northern Arizona 11, Mississippi Valley State 5, Southeast Missouri State 5, Texas State 5, Wofford 5.

October 2nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
TSN Poll - 10/2...The Sporting News does a I-AA poll?

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
How the heck did Texas State-San Marcos recieve votes?!?

They gain in an idle week?

ToreroTime
October 2nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
We did it! I dont care what you say about USD and its schedule this is huge for the school and their program and hopefully they just continue to climb in the rankings.

TigerFan17
October 2nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
I have this feeling some folks aren't gonna like #25... :rolleyes:

smallcollegefbfan
October 2nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
We did it! I dont care what you say about USD and its schedule this is huge for the school and their program and hopefully they just continue to climb in the rankings.

As of now you deserve it but you have to keep it up or you will drop. Right now means nothing and nobody will remember it if you guys don't keep it up. So don't get the big head and just keep playing ball. If you guys lose 3 games nobody will care about you being ranked now but if you go 11-0 then you guys will be a serious playoff contender. I am pulling for you! I just don't want you guys to get so excited you drop out next week lol. Go Toreros!

already123
October 2nd, 2006, 12:55 PM
i'd like to kno how the hell Montana st got votes

texcap
October 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
How the heck did Texas State-San Marcos recieve votes?!?

They gain in an idle week?

I couldn't believe it either. I guess some of the voters thought they would lose this week vs. Idle, but they proved those guys wrong!

birdsflyhigh
October 2nd, 2006, 01:13 PM
Good to see SIU got reward for their absolute trouncing of the IN St. Sycs (the 2nd most lopsided victory in Gateway history). Tough break for UNI dropping a spot after dropping on 1 pointer on the road to Iowa State (who gave Iowa all they wanted)...hmmmm? Also a bit suprised to see the WKU Hilltoppers all the way down at #37 after a very good victory over the previously ranked WIU Leathernecks.

The EIU Panthers are still a complete mystery to me. What have they down to deserve to be ranked? ISU's Redbirds hang in their at #6 after a bye week. The top 8 remains the same...quite a logjam of quality teams. The Birds will be up against it this week when they road trip to WKU for a match up with the ALWAYS extremely tough Hilltoppers. ISU needs to open up with a win in Gateway competition.

Pard4Life
October 2nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
San Diego over Princeton?

Where is the 'what are you smoking' icon on the sidebar?

October 2nd, 2006, 02:26 PM
San Diego over Princeton?
Where is the 'what are you smoking' icon on the sidebar?What is with you PL guys trashing USD? Take a look at their team, they are stacked.

dbackjon
October 2nd, 2006, 02:29 PM
What is with you PL guys trashing USD? Take a look at their team, they are stacked.

Maybe, maybe not. They have looked impressive against the competition they have faced. Not willing to go any further than that.

NAU beat Dixie State far worse than San Diego did - if the Toreros played NAU this year, we'd win by 30.

putter
October 2nd, 2006, 02:38 PM
i'd like to kno how the hell Montana st got votes

Probably because they beat the then #25 team on the road.

October 2nd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Maybe, maybe not. They have looked impressive against the competition they have faced. Not willing to go any further than that. NAU beat Dixie State far worse than San Diego did - if the Toreros played NAU this year, we'd win by 30.More smack on the discussion board? :rolleyes: BTW, you also gave up more points to Dixie State than USD did.

dbackjon
October 2nd, 2006, 03:04 PM
More smack on he discussion board? :rolleyes:

Hey, if you can claim they are impressive on this thread, I can counter :D

October 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM
Hey, if you can claim they are impressive on this thread, I can counter :DOne is smack and one isn't, see the difference?

Stang Fever
October 2nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
I voted for USD. BUT will not move them uphigher. no matter who wins and looses.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2006, 03:14 PM
What is with you PL guys trashing USD? Take a look at their team, they are stacked.

I have a problem with San Diego getting a spot in the Top 25 when not a single PL team gets votes in the poll. I know Colgate, Lehigh and Lafayette haven't exactly impressed, but the way things stand the PL champion might not get into the Top 25 by year's end, even if they run the table. Conversely, it would take divine intervention to dislodge San Diego.

Personally, I think Lehigh, Lafayette, and Colgate would handle San Diego. That alone is a reason why I would keep them out of my Top 25.

October 2nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
... Personally, I think Lehigh, Lafayette, and Colgate would handle San Diego. That alone is a reason why I would keep them out of my Top 25.USD 43, Yale 17 at Yale
Yale 37, Lafayette 34 at Lafayette

What's your reasoning?

ToreroTime
October 2nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
I have a problem with San Diego getting a spot in the Top 25 when not a single PL team gets votes in the poll. I know Colgate, Lehigh and Lafayette haven't exactly impressed, but the way things stand the PL champion might not get into the Top 25 by year's end, even if they run the table. Conversely, it would take divine intervention to dislodge San Diego.

Personally, I think Lehigh, Lafayette, and Colgate would handle San Diego. That alone is a reason why I would keep them out of my Top 25.

You have to be kidding, I saw the Lafayette team play on TV and they were not impressive at all. They have one big RB and that is it. The USD secondary locked down the same Yale recievers who destroyed Lafayette. As for the other teams they would not much up very good with USD's speed.

Dane96
October 2nd, 2006, 03:21 PM
It is so simple. Make an argument for WHY, based on schedules and results, USD should be ranked in the IAA polls (not DII and not NAIA).

YOU HAVE ONE IAA win.

ToreroTime
October 2nd, 2006, 03:23 PM
Were 4-0 with wins over 2 1-aa teams, Yale (2-1) and Davidson who almost beat VMI (which still isnt saying much)

Dane96
October 2nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Sorry...forgot the Davidson win. Still, I guess the argument is this. There are teams BEHIND USD that have better resumes of DATE. You know Davidson isnt a great squad. Yale...your ONE play up game win!

That is all.

Heck, I would love to play USD and trust me, as someone who has played and coached I firmly believe USD HAS SOME GREAT TALENT.

That being said, scheduling and winning is what propels a team to the Top 25. You have won...but your AD doesnt schedule.

Cap'n Cat
October 2nd, 2006, 03:27 PM
Were 4-0 with wins over 2 1-aa teams, Yale (2-1) and Davidson who almost beat VMI (which still isnt saying much)

Yo, Toreador. I'm for the little guy more than most on this board of elitist football yapping heads, but yer spinnin' yer wheels here. Beat a Big Sky, Gateway, CAA or SoCon team and I'm witcha, 10,000%.

Time to step back for some perspective. Try the clergy.

:D

Polywog
October 2nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Personally, I'm surprised that Cal Poly is still in the top 10. I'm glad the voters are showing some love, and I fully believe that the Poly defense is the best in the PCS. However, the offense's performance has left much to be desired. Turnovers are still a huge problem, and while both Sac State and Southern Utah are both much improved over recent years, the final scores of those two games were FAR too close.

Defense wins championships, and I still think Poly is a contender. Plus the offense showed spark in the 4th quarter of the Southern Utah game when QB Matt Brennan started connecting with receivers other than Ramses Barden. Plus James Noble keeps throwing up 100 yard games.

This week with Davis in town will be the true test of how good the Mustangs really are, and I think they'll prove they are really good. Cal Poly 28 - ucd 17.

HensRock
October 2nd, 2006, 03:29 PM

But there is a PL team ranked... oh wait!

Everyone remember how the PL guys used to make fun of Towson?

xlolx :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: xlolx

MylesKnight
October 2nd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Congrats to the University of Tennessee at Martin!!!

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Torero Tradition
October 2nd, 2006, 03:34 PM
Can you all just please embrace the Torero... :) LOL

Congrats USD on a wonderful day. :)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
You have to be kidding, I saw the Lafayette team play on TV and they were not impressive at all. They have one big RB and that is it. The USD secondary locked down the same Yale recievers who destroyed Lafayette. As for the other teams they would not much up very good with USD's speed.

I have a feeling when Lafayette plays Lehigh on November 18th we'll see a world-beating team that could give, oh, App State or Delaware a run for their money. It's happened to Lehigh the past two years. :rolleyes: xlolx :cool:

San Diego is a pretty good team. But are they Top 25 good? I don't think so. One win over a team I picked to be in the lower half of the Ivy League does not convince me. Their offense is good, but to be fair their defense hasn't exactly covered the speediest of receivers, so it's hard to judge their team speed.

San Diego will have their chance to showcase their team, as it's very likely they'll be 10-0 going into the Gridiron classic with a national ranking. There, they'll possibly play another ranked team in the NEC champion, and then play UC-Davis. Meanwhile, there will be a really talented Patriot League team somewhere that could go 8-3 or 9-2 that will barely squeak into the ranking discussion. I don't think that's right.

MylesKnight
October 2nd, 2006, 03:43 PM
And congrats to the University of San Diego!! Always good to see programs rise up through the ranks. xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

TigerFan17
October 2nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
But there is a PL team ranked... oh wait!

Everyone remember how the PL guys used to make fun of Towson?

xlolx :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: xlolx

Look whos laughing now. :nod:

JaxSinfonian
October 2nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
In all the fuss over San Diego here today, I think it's been overlooked (by everyone but MylesKnight) that UT-Martin is ranked for the first time in school history. #22 never looked so good.

This is a monumental step forward for this program, and a good thing for the OVC, too. It's nice to see that the upswing may not have ended with the departure of Matt Griffin for Murray. The OVC now has had four different teams in the top 25 so far this season, with EIU the only constant.

I was kind of hoping JSU's shutout of EKU this weekend would impress enough pollsters to sneak them back in the top 25. While I was disappointed there, it's hard to argue with ranking Martin, especially after watching them upset my Gamecocks two weeks ago.

Dane96
October 2nd, 2006, 08:43 PM
CONGRATS to UT-MARTIN!!

October 2nd, 2006, 09:16 PM
Yay Skyhawks! Tennessee-Martin will travel to Ohio Valley Conference rival Tennessee Tech Thursday, Oct. 5. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

aceinthehole
October 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
In all the fuss over San Diego here today, I think it's been overlooked (by everyone but MylesKnight) that UT-Martin is ranked for the first time in school history. #22 never looked so good.

This is a monumental step forward for this program, and a good thing for the OVC, too. It's nice to see that the upswing may not have ended with the departure of Matt Griffin for Murray. The OVC now has had four different teams in the top 25 so far this season, with EIU the only constant.

I was kind of hoping JSU's shutout of EKU this weekend would impress enough pollsters to sneak them back in the top 25. While I was disappointed there, it's hard to argue with ranking Martin, especially after watching them upset my Gamecocks two weeks ago.

Congrats to UT-Martin too!

Any idea if OVC teams are looking for OOC games in 2007? It would be nice to for some of the top NEC teams to matchup vs. some of your ranked OVC foes next year.

JaxSinfonian
October 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
Yay Skyhawks! Tennessee-Martin will travel to Ohio Valley Conference rival Tennessee Tech Thursday, Oct. 5. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

My celebration on their behalf is now officially over. I need Tech and somebody else to beat the Skyhawks this season. Two losses anywhere will do, really. For now, go Tech!

Otherwise ... what do you guys think about a 9-2 JSU team getting into the playoffs with losses at Furman and Martin? Or, say, 8-3 ... but I'm not sure Mississippi State is that good. :)

MR. CHICKEN
October 2nd, 2006, 09:42 PM
My celebration on their behalf is now officially over. I need Tech and somebody else to beat the Skyhawks this season. Two losses anywhere will do, really. For now, go Tech!

Otherwise ... what do you guys think about a 9-2 JSU team getting into the playoffs with losses at Furman and Martin? Or, say, 8-3 ... but I'm not sure Mississippi State is that good. :)

WE ALL HAVE OURAH....AGENDAS........:flagged:.......BRAWK!

JaxSinfonian
October 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
Any idea if OVC teams are looking for OOC games in 2007? It would be nice to for some of the top NEC teams to matchup vs. some of your ranked OVC foes next year.

I dunno. Jax State would probably only agree to a one-game deal at our place. The administration is specifically looking for home-and-homes that are driveable for the fans. That pretty much means SoCon, SWAC or Big South.

We are adding Austin Peay State back to the leauge next year, which means one less opportunity for an OOC unless the champ subdivision gets the 12th game. Austin Peay, meanwhile, needs to step up its level of competition from what they're playing this year. If they haven't got candidates for their OOC yet, they may be looking for games.

EKU will have WKU, plus probably a SoCon team. EIU has Ill. St. & Ind. St. already and Murray probably will play them both, too. Tenn. St. has its classics. Tech probably will play at UTC leaving one possibly open date. Martin lists two openings on their '07 schedule, and the plans of SEMO & Samford are a mystery to me.

Most will want to play I-A games, too, so that 12-game schedule is starting to look pretty necessary.

RabidRabbit
October 2nd, 2006, 10:52 PM
I dunno. Jax State would probably only agree to a one-game deal at our place. The administration is specifically looking for home-and-homes that are driveable for the fans. That pretty much means SoCon, SWAC or Big South.

We are adding Austin Peay State back to the leauge next year, which means one less opportunity for an OOC unless the champ subdivision gets the 12th game. Austin Peay, meanwhile, needs to step up its level of competition from what they're playing this year. If they haven't got candidates for their OOC yet, they may be looking for games.

EKU will have WKU, plus probably a SoCon team. EIU has Ill. St. & Ind. St. already and Murray probably will play them both, too. Tenn. St. has its classics. Tech probably will play at UTC leaving one possibly open date. Martin lists two openings on their '07 schedule, and the plans of SEMO & Samford are a mystery to me.

Most will want to play I-A games, too, so that 12-game schedule is starting to look pretty necessary.

That's a shame that OVC teams wouldn't do a home & home with Great West teams. They are very conspictuously absent from any of GWFC games since 2004. I think Big South, Patriot, NEC and MEAC missing also.

With the Quality, the stuffed stadiums in the Great West, we could make for great opponents, and bragging rights in I-AA if win.

Mr. C
October 2nd, 2006, 10:53 PM
Is that game going to be on TV? Would to see the Martins play.

October 2nd, 2006, 11:03 PM
on OVC.tv

slycat
October 2nd, 2006, 11:19 PM
good for Central Arkansas!!!!! way to impress in your first year.:hurray: :hurray:

Purple Pride
October 3rd, 2006, 08:57 AM
good for Central Arkansas!!!!! way to impress in your first year.:hurray: :hurray:

Thanks Slycat. I think we're doing great for a lil' 'ole provisional member.xsmileyclapx

dbackjon
October 3rd, 2006, 09:36 AM

Go UT-Martin!! Great to see a traditionally weak program get some wins!!

wkuhillhound
October 4th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Good to see SIU got reward for their absolute trouncing of the IN St. Sycs (the 2nd most lopsided victory in Gateway history). Tough break for UNI dropping a spot after dropping on 1 pointer on the road to Iowa State (who gave Iowa all they wanted)...hmmmm? Also a bit suprised to see the WKU Hilltoppers all the way down at #37 after a very good victory over the previously ranked WIU Leathernecks.

The EIU Panthers are still a complete mystery to me. What have they down to deserve to be ranked? ISU's Redbirds hang in their at #6 after a bye week. The top 8 remains the same...quite a logjam of quality teams. The Birds will be up against it this week when they road trip to WKU for a match up with the ALWAYS extremely tough Hilltoppers. ISU needs to open up with a win in Gateway competition.

Western Kentucky did not get votes in the Sports Network poll last week.

shakdaddy3
October 4th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks Slycat. I think we're doing great for a lil' 'ole provisional member.xsmileyclapx
although i think we should have beaten UCA by more or at least scored more points, i was very impressed after the game and thought you guys had a solid team for a provisional I-AA. And now, you guys are doing awesome and making our win much more impressive than i thought at first. congrats UCA, keep the wins coming and best of luck!

u'll be dominating the southland in no time...wait, you kind of already are!

birdsflyhigh
October 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM
wkuhillhound, go back to page one of this thread and look at the others receiving votes. WKU received 37 votes putting them in at #37. :thumbsup:

Lafayette71
October 4th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Personally I don't see how any team in the PL has can at this point complain about our no show in the rankings. There simply hasn't been a team to step up and earn it. There is always a lot of discussion of the relative strength of various conferences and the playing up or down in your OOC. Regardless of any of that you have to go out on the field and win games. There have been a few flashes, but so far I can't see how we could really question the ranking of San Diego. They have taken care of their business on the field and lamentably that has not been the case for the PL schools to this point. With the OOC schedule rapdly drawing to a close, it is going to a tall order for any PL team to get back on the top 25 radar in the near future. In my opinion it will probably take one of the better teams running the table in league play for that to happen.

You could make a good argument that Princeton has shown more thus far than SD or several of the other schools receiving votes but I couldn't promote the idea that any of our PL's is more deserving right now.