PDA

View Full Version : SLC POTW - 10/1

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
Interesting to see two McN players get SLC honors this week, but considering there was just one win by SLC schools (over a Div II school at that), but congrats all around..

Aeropostale Football Players of the Week Named

Northwestern State's Byron Lawrence takes offensive honor after 151-yard game.

Oct. 2, 2006

FRISCO, Texas - Northwestern State runningback Byron Lawrence rushed for 151 yards in the Demons 20-3 win over Arkansas-Monticello on his way to earning this week's Aeropostale Southland Conference Football Player of the Week award on offense. McNeese State's Bryan Smith picked up his second defensive award of the year while teammate Blake Bercegeay is the special teams recipient. Following is a look at their performances.

OFFENSE

BYRON LAWRENCE, Northwestern State, TB, So., N. Little Rock, Ark. -- Lawrence ran for a season/career high 151 yards on 26 carries, including a 3-yard touchdown blast, in a 20-3 win over Division II Arkansas-Monticello. It was his second straight 100-yard game in his first collegiate season (missed redshirt freshman year with a broken ankle) as a walk-on. Lawrence leads the SLC in rushing (98 ypg).

Honorable Mention: Jay Lucas, SLU.

DEFENSE

BRYAN SMITH, McNeese State, Jr., DE, Newton, Texas -- Despite his team losing 20-17 to South Dakota State, Smith picks up his second award of the season. He recorded a team high nine tackles (6 solos and 3 assists), including a quarterback sack. Smith also recorded two QB hurries, forced a fumble and recovered another.

Honorable Mention: Keldrick Holman, SFA; Russ Washington, NWLa.

SPECIAL TEAMS

BLAKE BERCEGEAY, McNeese State, So., K/P, Gonzales, La. -- Bercegeay averaged 42.9 yards on eight punts with a long of 57 yards in the McNeese loss to South Dakota State. He also kicked a 42 yard field goal and two PATs. In addition, he made a touchdown-saving tackle following a McNeese punt.

Honorable Mention: Marshall Burton, NWLa.; Cory Long, SFA; Jeff Turner, SLU

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100206aaa.html

JoshUCA
October 2nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
Are UCA players not eligible for this, b/c I seriously think that James Paul should be the Special Teams POTW with an 81 yard punt!!!

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2006, 01:08 PM
Are UCA players not eligible for this, b/c I seriously think that James Paul should be the Special Teams POTW with an 81 yard punt!!!

UCA is not a member of the conference for football therefore ineligible...

A&M-CC won a POTW honor for XC, so I assume UCA could win a POTW in another sport...

JoshUCA
October 2nd, 2006, 01:11 PM
UCA is not a member of the conference for football therefore ineligible...

A&M-CC won a POTW honor for XC, so I assume UCA could win a POTW in another sport...
:doh:
yeah some of the soccer girls have already won POTW!