PDA

View Full Version : SLC Predictions - 10/7

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
Stephen F. Austin (0-5, Road: 0-2) 7:00 pm EDT
Texas St. (1-3, Home: 1-1)

The Bobcats will have many questions to answer if they can not beat the winless Jacks at home. The 'Cats have two weeks to get ready for this game and while they are going to come out flat, I see Bailiff's boys being ready and willing to take over in the second quarter of this game. The Jacks will put up a fight, but in the end, Bobcats 32-14 Jacks

SE Louisiana (1-4, Road: 0-3) 7:30 pm EDT
Nicholls St. (1-3, Home: 1-1)

Short trip for SELA over to Thibodaux to face the Colonels. SELA is coming off an unexpected loss to Gardner-Webb. Can't say there are any in the SLC that saw that coming. Having watched Nicholls thus far this season, they don't seem to be a team that has shown an ability to shut the door down. This game is going to be sloppy, especially if it rains Friday and/or Saturday. Have to go with the home team, Colonels 34-28 Lions

Southern Utah (3-2, Road: 0-2) 8:00 pm EDT
McNeese St. (1-3, Home: 1-1)

I do not know how in my right mind that I could pick against McNeese. They are coming off a home loss, a rarity in itself (considering it hadn't been done in two years). McNeese is not winning at the same ease that they have in the past. Southern Utah is looking better than they ever have during their I-AA lifespan, but the Pokes aren't going to overlook the Thunderbirds and know that a big win here can send a statement to the SLC and nation that they are here to play. Cowboys 42-21 Thunderbirds

Sam Houston St. (2-2, Road: 1-2) 8:00 pm EDT
Northwestern St. (2-2, Home: 2-0)

The Bearkats finally broke the road skid under the Todd Whitten era two weeks ago with a win at Missouri St. This game is the featured SLC game on television this week as FoxSW picks it up. Both teams played UAM and while both teams struggled with FGs in those games (a combined six missed FGs between the two), they both shut down the Boll Weevils. Last year, 10-6 was the final in favor of the Demons. I honestly see a defensive game again as both defenses are very sharp. Bearkats 17-13 Demons.

Central Arkansas (4-1, Road: 1-1) 8:00 pm EDT
South Dakota St (2-3, Home: 0-1)

This could be another huge step forward for Central Arkansas. The sole loss for the Bears was a tough loss at Illinois State. A few weeks later, they went back on the road to beat SFA. South Dakota St knows how the transitional period goes and UCA is definitely going to be in for another tough road game against a good I-AA squad. The Jack Rabbits have not scored more than 24 and outside of the SFA game, UCA's defense has shut down their opponents including a shutout win over Div II power South Dakota. For that reason, I'm taking the UCA defense and the Bears. Bears 21-13 Jack Rabbits.

McNeese72
October 2nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Southern Utah (3-2, Road: 0-2) 8:00 pm EDT
McNeese St. (1-3, Home: 1-1)

I do not know how in my right mind that I could pick against McNeese. They are coming off a home loss, a rarity in itself (considering it hadn't been done in two years). McNeese is not winning at the same ease that they have in the past. Southern Utah is looking better than they ever have during their I-AA lifespan, but the Pokes aren't going to overlook the Thunderbirds and know that a big win here can send a statement to the SLC and nation that they are here to play. Cowboys 42-21 Thunderbirds

We have played two home and home series with them (four games). The home team has never won. Might want to rethink you pick, especially if we make all the mistakes we made last week.

Doc

RabidRabbit
October 2nd, 2006, 02:38 PM
My GWFC :twocents:

After 4 weeks on the road, SDSU returns to Brookings to host UCA in the Beef Bowl. In pre-season, this appeared to be a nice, easy win for the Jacks. But if this season has proved anything, is the appearances are deceiving. UCA comes in 4-1, with only loss to top 10 Ill St. in a tough game. Likewise, the Rabbits have turned around a 0-3 start, and beat the preseason SLC top picks the last two weeks. My pick - SDSU 24 - UCA 17.

GWFC vs SLC has been decidely GWFC dominated. SUU goes to McNeese St. for another OOC match-up. SUU is playing solid ball this year. Poly was barely successful in beating a determined T-Birds team. McNeese better halve their penalties, or less if they're to win this game. My pick - GWFC won't get lucky twice in Lake Charles. McNeese 27 - SUU 21.

These two games, while still the "also playing" part of the GWFC weekend, should be great tight games. I don't see any blowouts either way.

Lionsrking
October 2nd, 2006, 02:38 PM
SE Louisiana (1-4, Road: 0-3) 7:30 pm EDT
Nicholls St. (1-3, Home: 1-1)

Short trip for SELA over to Thibodaux to face the Colonels. SELA is coming off an unexpected loss to Gardner-Webb. Can't say there are any in the SLC that saw that coming. Having watched Nicholls thus far this season, they don't seem to be a team that has shown an ability to shut the door down. This game is going to be sloppy, especially if it rains Friday and/or Saturday. Have to go with the home team, Colonels 34-28 Lions

Yeah, we didn't see it coming either, especially after dominating them most of the game. But, it's tough to beat anyone when you give them 14 points and don't score TDs when you get it 1st and goal. As for the Nicholls game, from what I've seen of the weather forecast, it's only a 20 percent chance of rain the rest of the week. If we play the way we did against GW, minus the turnovers, I think we can beat the Colonels in Thibodaux. It should be a good one.

Bobcat94
October 2nd, 2006, 02:55 PM
I'd love to see the Cats score 32 and hold SFA to 14. I'd hate to say it will probably be closer and I'm not predicting anything the rest of this year.

When was the last time the SLC was blanked from the polls? I'd bet it's been since the original polls for I-AA came out. What was it, the late '70's?

dbackjon
October 2nd, 2006, 03:03 PM
The Winners:
Texas St
Nicholls St
McNeese in a squeeker
Northwestern St
South Dakota St

slycat
October 2nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Texas St 24 - SFA 14 i think itll be close but texas st has played better int he second half so i dont see sfa hanging on.

NWST 21 - SHSU 20 this will come down to the wire but nwst is at home.

Nicholls 27 - SELA 14 home advantage and NSU will show up strong IMO

SUU 30 - McNeese 27 mcneese has struggled and SUU played great against cal poly

UCA 17 - SDSU 14 tough road game but UCA continues to impress

Hansel
October 2nd, 2006, 06:37 PM
SFA
NWSU
NSU
SUU
SDSU

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2006, 07:03 PM
SHSU is getting no love as usual...maybe this bolds well for the Bearkats!

blackfordpu
October 2nd, 2006, 08:05 PM

Do you blame them? Our record in Louisiana isn't the best.

slycat
October 2nd, 2006, 08:08 PM

come on now yall play on the road. if it were in huntsville i'd say yall would win. either way its up in the air.

buckp
October 2nd, 2006, 08:16 PM

I still love 'em....:nod:

They could win the SLC title this year. :eek:

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 2nd, 2006, 08:27 PM

From what I've seen.....that wouldn't be much of a surprise...

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2006, 09:14 PM

Heck, anyone can win the SLC title...

It'll come down to who doesn't want it the least (if that makes sense)...:bang:

blackfordpu
October 2nd, 2006, 09:32 PM

You going to make it to Huntsville this year buck?