View Full Version : SLC Pick'em Week 8

BEAR
October 15th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Leaderboard:

46 points: OldSchoolcolonel, Lionfan07
45 points: Nickels, Sammy94, Sam_Kats
44 points: McNeese75, Skyhawk71
42 points: Bonarae

With 37 points and no prediction last week, Dbackjon drops out of the contest!

This week's games:

UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
SHSU at McNeese

Good luck! xthumbsupx

McGeaux
October 15th, 2013, 10:08 AM
UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
SHSU at McNeese

Catatonic
October 15th, 2013, 10:26 AM
UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar Changed 10-15 based on UCABear's underwhelming support for a banged up UCA.
SHSU at McNeese

BEAR
October 15th, 2013, 10:29 AM
UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar (anyone voting for UCA has no idea how badly injured the Bears are. Just sayin' )
SHSU at McNeese - NOT SURE. No freakin idea. If that Cowboy team that played UCA shows up, this will be good. I'll be watching this one for sure! )

Catatonic
October 15th, 2013, 10:35 AM
UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar (anyone voting for UCA has no idea how badly injured the Bears are. Just sayin' )
SHSU at McNeese - NOT SURE. No freakin idea. If that Cowboy team that played UCA shows up, this will be good. I'll be watching this one for sure! )

UIW has never beaten ACU fwiw.

BEAR
October 15th, 2013, 10:39 AM
UIW has never beaten ACU fwiw.

It's my upset special. I'm friends with your coach from our college days, but the determination I saw in IUW, IWU, UWI, UIW...whatever.... was impressive to say the least. But I can see how ACU will win this one though. But since I'm not in the contest anymore, I'll go with the upset. xlolx

Sammy94
October 15th, 2013, 10:40 AM
UIW at ACU - ACU should have no issues. Easiest pick of the week.
Nich at SFA - Which SFA team shows up? Nicholls looks improved but taking the home team.
SLU at NWST - SLU maybe under the national radar, they are not in the SLC
UCA at Lamar - Impoved Lamar team, injured UCA team.
SHSU at McNeese - I like the fact we won our wake up call this year and having the DC from McNeese in orange now should help.

McNeese75
October 15th, 2013, 10:40 AM
UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
SHSU at McNeese

I am probably wrong on two of the above :D (but have NO idea which 2)

McNeese75
October 15th, 2013, 10:42 AM
SHSU at McNeese - I like the fact we won our wake up call this year and having the DC from McNeese in orange now should help.

Actually, I think our coaching staff is pretty happy about that as well xpeacex

McNeese72
October 15th, 2013, 10:44 AM
..... having the DC from McNeese in orange now should help.

That can work both ways as our coaches know what Mike likes to do on defense.

Doc

Sammy94
October 15th, 2013, 10:49 AM
That can work both ways as our coaches know what Mike likes to do on defense

I'm glad they do because after 6 games I still haven't figured out what he likes to do. I've seen all kinds of formations this year.

BEAR
October 15th, 2013, 10:51 AM
As soon as I saw this guy:

http://www.mcneesesports.com/images/2012/7/17/headshot_1_sladenagle.jpg

walking the sidelines when the Cowboys showed up at Estes.... I knew right away that our D2 coach would telegraph every play his way. Can't miss that Eminem blonde hair! xlolx

Catatonic
October 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM
It's my upset special. I'm friends with your coach from our college days, but the determination I saw in IUW, IWU, UWI, UIW...whatever.... was impressive to say the least. But I can see how ACU will win this one though. But since I'm not in the contest anymore, I'll go with the upset. xlolx

Coach Collums was a great offensive coordinator. He is still finding his way as a HC and trying to adjust to the demands of D1 in areas such as recruiting and s&c.

Their website url is uiw.edu so I am guessing UIW is their preference.

Hey, you get two chances for an upset. ACU plays UIW twice. This week at home and in San Antonio in a couple of weeks. One of the flukes of a move up schedule without a slate of conference games predetermined. We wound up with a hodgepodge this year.

BEAR
October 15th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Coach Collums was a great offensive coordinator. He is still finding his way as a HC and trying to adjust to the demands of D1 in areas such as recruiting and s&c..

Ask him to show you his National Championship ring from UCA. xlolx

Here's a team pic that year... see if you can find him. xlolx

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/67854_10151153050787321_1647527794_n.jpg

dbackjon
October 15th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Leaderboard:

46 points: OldSchoolcolonel, Lionfan07
45 points: Nickels, Sammy94, Sam_Kats
44 points: McNeese75, Skyhawk71
42 points: Bonarae

With 37 points and no prediction last week, Dbackjon drops out of the contest!

This week's games:

UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
SHSU at McNeese

Good luck! xthumbsupx

Ugh!!

But, still will pick this week

UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
SHSU at McNeese

kingkat99
October 15th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I'm glad they do because after 6 games I still haven't figured out what he likes to do. I've seen all kinds of formations this year.

Up until last week I was ready to send him back and I still am not sold on him yet because I hate the bend don't break philosophy. There is a reason we racked up points against Mcneese the last couple years.

McNeese75
October 15th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Up until last week I was ready to send him back and I still am not sold on him yet because I hate the bend don't break philosophy. There is a reason we racked up points against Mcneese the last couple years.

Well if UTEP does not improve defensively you might have Stoker available again, lol

Sam_Kats
October 15th, 2013, 01:50 PM
UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
SHSU at McNeese

McNeese72
October 15th, 2013, 02:02 PM

Well, we ended up with Lance (Guidry) back. And he is so fricking aggressive that we end up giving up a lot of big plays. DB's end up being on islands. But on the other hand, we have caused a lot of turnovers on defense. Live by the sword, die by the sword type of situation.

Doc

Skyhawk71
October 15th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Incarnate Word @ Abilene Christian
Nicholls State @ Stephen F. Austin
Southeastern Louisiana @ Northwestern State
Central Arkansas @ Lamar
Sam Houston State @ McNeese State

FormerPokeCenter
October 15th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Actually, I think our coaching staff is pretty happy about that as well xpeacex

I'm FB friends with Mike, but that right there is funny, I don't care WHO you are!

bonarae
October 15th, 2013, 05:35 PM
UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
SHSU at McNeese

Bearkat 41
October 16th, 2013, 12:04 AM
UIW at ACU - ACU keeps their unbeaten vs. UIW streak alive.
Nich at SFA - SFA pulls one out in a slugfest SFA 42, Nicholls 38
SLU at NWST - Upset Special, NWST bounces back from last week and shocks the Lions who turn it over 6 times, NWST 28, SLU 24
UCA at Lamar - Lamar D stays hot, UCA adjusting to new QB. Cards win at home. Lamar 24, UCA 17
SHSU at McNeese - Bearkats offense gets going and Cowboy defense keeps playing the way I have seen them play so far. SHSU 45, McNeese 21

LH Cardinal Mom
October 16th, 2013, 03:58 AM
UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
SHSU at McNeese

katstrapper
October 16th, 2013, 05:09 AM

Defense had its best game of the year last week. I think as a unit they have still been trying to adjust, but i think they are about to hit their stride. If the defensive line plays like they did last week, Stroud will be running for his life. Kat D only gave up 90 yds rushing last week and had 4 sacks.

Kats normally play pretty well after a sluggish game following a bye week. I look for the O to be clicking again and put some points on the board. Flanders plays his best in big games!

msupokes1
October 16th, 2013, 08:03 AM
McNeese is pretty balanced in its rushing and passing attack. If the D line gets to aggressive the rushing attack will gash for big yards. That is why Stroud has been sacked so little this year. D- Line has to respect the run.

kingkat99
October 16th, 2013, 08:11 AM
We really have no chance of winning this game. Our Offense is stagnant and predictable and our defense is too aggressive and Viator in in Collins head anyway. Add that to the fact that they have Lance "I hope I have a better impact than my crackhead son" Guidry back so I am not even sure why we aren't just forfieting

msupokes1
October 16th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Yeah not buying that. McNeese has to play a perfect game to pull this one out.

kingkat99
October 16th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Yeah not buying that. McNeese has to play a perfect game to pull this one out.

All Mcneese has to do is show up and play at 3/4 speed and they win this one running away. Our oline is so soft they got man handled by Lamar. Our running backs are slow and Bell cant hit the broad side of a barn from 10ft way. Our defense cant tackle, our secondary couldn't cover an ineligible lineman down field they are so terrible and and our front six couldn't put pressure on my grandma.

Catatonic
October 16th, 2013, 08:53 AM
All Mcneese has to do is show up and play at 3/4 speed and they win this one running away. Our oline is so soft they go man handled by Lamar. Our running backs are slow and Bell cant hit the broad side of a barn from 10ft way. Our defense cant tackle, our secondary couldn't cover an ineligible lineman down field they are so terrible and and our front six couldn't put pressure on my grandma.

Yeah, but I hear you have a heck of deep snapper on special teams.

Sammy94
October 16th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Why don't somebody start a McNeese/Sam thread, this one is for the SLC Pick'em.

McNeese72
October 16th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Why don't somebody start a McNeese/Sam thread, this one is for the SLC Pick'em.

Because the McNeese fans don't want to talk about our impending doom.

Doc

BEAR
October 16th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I don't want to see anymore sandbags piled a mile high.

I mean everyone knows the Cowboys AREN'T the Kats. The Cowboys have ZERO pass game, as personally witnessed by me a couple of weeks ago. ZERO defense, also witnessed by me. Kats should have this one in the bag BEFORE the kickoff.

McNeese72
October 16th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I don't want to see anymore sandbags piled a mile high.

I mean everyone knows the Cowboys AREN'T the Kats. The Cowboys have ZERO pass game, as personally witnessed by me a couple of weeks ago. ZERO defense, also witnessed by me. Kats should have this one in the bag BEFORE the kickoff.

xthumbsupx

Doc

msupokes1
October 16th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't say zero pass game. We do like to throw to the other team on a regular basis.

McNeese72
October 16th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't say zero pass game. We do like to throw to the other team on a regular basis.

And we do like to fumble the ball inside the 5 yard line going in. At least on "The Stripes". My comment to someone after that fumble was "Things are looking up this year. They didn't return it all the way for a TD" unlike two years ago.

Doc

kingkat99
October 16th, 2013, 12:34 PM

No worries there this week, we rarely turn around and look for the ball since we are usually two steps behind running for our lives just to catch up. See with Collins there he has tweeked a few things one being a new cover package called the "Blown" coverage and we are fantastic at it. Ruse has also instituted a new offense that we run whether it works or not call the "Flanders for Payton" offense where we just hand the ball off to him, be careful though we like to mix it up by running to the right and the left just to keep you guessing.

Sammy94
October 16th, 2013, 01:32 PM
No worries there this week, we rarely turn around and look for the ball since we are usually two steps behind running for our lives just to catch up. See with Collins there he has tweeked a few things one being a new cover package called the "Blown" coverage and we are fantastic at it. Ruse has also instituted a new offense that we run whether it works or not call the "Flanders for Payton" offense where we just hand the ball off to him, be careful though we like to mix it up by running to the right and the left just to keep you guessing

This may look like its funny but its pretty much spot on. I like the new kicker, his favorite is wide left but don't let him hit you that kid could be playing linebacker in the next year or two.

McNeese72
October 16th, 2013, 01:42 PM
No worries there this week, we rarely turn around and look for the ball since we are usually two steps behind running for our lives just to catch up. See with Collins there he has tweeked a few things one being a new cover package called the "Blown" coverage and we are fantastic at it. Ruse has also instituted a new offense that we run whether it works or not call the "Flanders for Payton" offense where we just hand the ball off to him, be careful though we like to mix it up by running to the right and the left just to keep you guessing.

I think Mike and Lance run a very similar defense. ;)

Doc

McNeese75
October 16th, 2013, 01:58 PM

Sounds a little like our "Matador" defense xnodx "OLE'"

Sam_Kats
October 16th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Since neither team plays any defense, are we looking at an 83-80 type game here?

McNeese75
October 16th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Since neither team plays any defense, are we looking at an 83-80 type game here?

Naaaa, supposed to rain, probably 11-9 or so

kingkat99
October 16th, 2013, 02:18 PM

No more like 77-0 we don't play any offense either. I would say 77-3 but our FG Kicker thinks the whole idea behind kicking a field goal is to kick the ball on the outside of the uprights.

msupokes1
October 16th, 2013, 02:22 PM
No more like 77-0 we don't play any offense either. I would say 77-3 but our FG Kicker thinks the whole idea behind kicking a field goal is to kick the ball on the outside of the uprights.

Who is going to score the 77. I know not us. Look at how we did against UNI. We might be able to hang a bunch on lowly South Florida but I don't see it happening here.

McNeese72
October 16th, 2013, 02:23 PM

Wow! You guys can actually get the ball into field goal range????? Wish we could.

Doc

kingkat99
October 16th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Who is going to score the 77. I know not us. Look at how we did against UNI. We might be able to hang a bunch on lowly South Florida but I don't see it happening here.

Ok well how about 56? Come on now its homecoming and Viator needs to wow the crowd a little.

kingkat99
October 16th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Wow! You guys can actually get the ball into field goal range????? Wish we could.

Doc

Yeah with the "bend em don't break em" offense we run we usually can get there 1 or 2 times a game. But don't forget we haven't exactly played anyone yet either so Ill be impressed if we get pass the 50 Saturday in all honesty.

Sammy94
October 16th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Naaaa, supposed to rain, probably 11-9 or so

3rd game in the rain, tailgating should be fun. Can't wait.

msupokes1
October 16th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Yeah with the "bend em don't break em" offense we run we usually can get there 1 or 2 times a game. But don't forget we haven't exactly played anyone yet either so Ill be impressed if we get pass the 50 Saturday in all honesty.

D2 West Alabama scored 42 on us. Flanders is going to run all over us. Brock Tanner is going to have a field day blowing up our backfield. I am thinking Sam Houston has a clean sweep of SLC player of the week awards next week.

kingkat99
October 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM
D2 West Alabama scored 42 on us. Flanders is going to run all over us. Brock Tanner is going to have a field day blowing up our backfield. I am thinking Sam Houston has a clean sweep of SLC player of the week awards next week.

West Alabama would easily put 60+ on us. No way we could hold a team with that kind of speed to only 42 pts. Flanders is hurt and Brock is waaaaay overrated.

msupokes1
October 16th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Kingkat I like what you are trying to do but I have seen Doc do it for many years now. I refuse to fall for it. I know exactly how good Sam Houston is. I just don't understand why we would schedule this for our homecoming. We don't have a chance.

kingkat99
October 16th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Kingkat I like what you are trying to do but I have seen Doc do it for many years now. I refuse to fall for it. I know exactly how good Sam Houston is. I just don't understand why we would schedule this for our homecoming. We don't have a chance.

The only thing you don't have a chance at is losing...

BEAR
October 16th, 2013, 03:05 PM
So...... has everyone had an opportunity to put in their picks.....from the Pick'em...... 6 pages and 100+ sandbags ago??? xeyebrowx

Sammy94
October 16th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Sorry for the hijack Bear.

McNeese72
October 16th, 2013, 05:29 PM
West Alabama would easily put 60+ on us. No way we could hold a team with that kind of speed to only 42 pts. Flanders is hurt and Brock is waaaaay overrated.

Just one more point.

Them boys wuz fast and made us look slow. We made both their little Qb's look like mini-Manziels.

Doc

Nickels
October 16th, 2013, 06:12 PM
So...... has everyone had an opportunity to put in their picks.....from the Pick'em...... 6 pages and 100+ sandbags ago??? xeyebrowx
NOT ME!! I'll put mine in tonight sometime...

sharkeycox
October 16th, 2013, 08:53 PM
UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
SHSU at McNeese

Oldschool Colonel
October 16th, 2013, 09:22 PM
ACU
Nicholls(Starting to get some respect)
SLU
UCA
McNeese

Nickels
October 17th, 2013, 09:50 AM
UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA atLamar
SHSU atMcNeese

MSU_77
October 17th, 2013, 10:59 AM

Watched the way you guys took care of business against EWU. Very, very impressive. Lamar was a sluggish game after a bye week - but your defense was kickin' azz. Pay no attention to what we did against South Florida - that was a mirage. UNI proved that we are ripe for the picking.

GaelsFootball
October 17th, 2013, 11:06 AM
UIW at ACU
Nich at SFA
SLU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
SHSU at McNeese

LIONFAN07
October 17th, 2013, 07:20 PM
ACU
NICHOLLS
SLU