October 14th, 2013, 07:35 AM
You forgot Chattanooga.

1: Chattanooga
2: Chattanooga
3: Valparasio

...which is Latin for Chattanooga.

msupokes1
October 14th, 2013, 07:42 AM
1. Sam Houston (only cause we play them this weekend)
2. Northern Iowa
3. NDSU

Thundar
October 14th, 2013, 07:45 AM
SIU
YSU
SHSU

superman7515
October 14th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Central Connecticut State Blue Devils - Devils are pretty scary.
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils - I say again, devils are pretty scary.
Northwestern State Demons - Demons do the dirty work for the devils, so you should probably have a healthy dose of fear for them as well.

Honorable mention: Presbyterian Blue Hose - For anyone who isn't familiar, Blue Hose is what you get after a three day weekend in Thailand. Bangkok has him now...

Fordham
October 14th, 2013, 08:15 AM
NDSU
SHSU
Any one of 'Nova/Maine/Towson

I took this to mean 'what playoff matchup would you feel the worst about?'

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2013, 08:17 AM
NDSU
SHSU
Any one of 'Nova/Maine/Towson

I took this to mean 'what playoff matchup would you feel the worst about?'

18432.....MAH PICKS...EGG-ZAKLY.......AWQ!

knucklehead
October 14th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Fordham
Eastern Illinois
Youngstown (only because they are being totally overlooked)

kalm
October 14th, 2013, 08:52 AM
EIU - Great offense and fantastic ooc schedule which they almost sweep. Best OVC team in years?
SHSU - 6 time BSC champs, and unstoppable unless your name is Lamar
Bizon

THE HERD
October 14th, 2013, 08:55 AM
1. EIU
2. UNI/SIU
3. EWU/Griz

Professor Chaos
October 14th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I don't really consider NDSU a scary team because they're not the type of team that will run you off the field until late. To me, scary teams are teams that can go up 28-0 in the 1st quarter if the opponent comes out and lays an egg. I'd say the three teams that scare me the most right now are Eastern Illinois, Eastern Washington, and Fordham.

Houndawg
October 14th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I don't really consider NDSU a scary team because they're not the type of team that will run you off the field until late. To me, scary teams are teams that can go up 28-0 in the 1st quarter if the opponent comes out and lays an egg. I'd say the three teams that scare me the most right now are Eastern Illinois, Eastern Washington, and Fordham.

NDSU - scary if you go into the 4th qtr leading by fewer than three scores.
EIU
UNI

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Not including NDSU...

1. Montana State - McGhee is healthy
2. Maine -defense + Orono
3. Coastal Carolina -sneaking around

knucklehead
October 14th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Any FCS team playing App. xnodx

344Johnson
October 14th, 2013, 09:47 AM
UNI
Nova
Maine

kalm
October 14th, 2013, 09:48 AM

Agreed. Then again, you guys handled SHSU and GSU. No smack intended but I'd be more worried about a playoff game against Sam than you guys. You have a great secondary and it would be interesting to see your matchup against a more pro-style offense that's efficient.

HailSzczur
October 14th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Northwestern State Demons - Demons do the dirty work for the devils, so you should probably have a healthy dose of fear for them as well.

Honorable mention: Presbyterian Blue Hose - For anyone who isn't familiar, Blue Hose is what you get after a three day weekend in Thailand. Bangkok has him now...

Idk.....this guy gave me nightmares as a kid. Quakers are supposed to be pacifists, but I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLFhl6XX0Ene5zeA7JJbKqOnkxxo3yr JDK9ZO4GfAYuKDBHgUHPA

andy7171
October 14th, 2013, 10:04 AM

Any truth that Presby's mascot is an anatomically correct Grover from Seasame Street?

AppChicago
October 14th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Any truth that Presby's mascot is an anatomically correct Grover from Seasame Street?

Tragically, I can confirm this rumor. *shudders, sobs*

McNeese75
October 14th, 2013, 10:10 AM
NDSU
SHSU
Maine

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Scary means some level of uncertainty imo. NDSU, SHSU, UNI, NOVA, EWU and Towson are known entities...

Maine is the team I wish I could see more. For some reason an early November game in Orono intrigues me. Any NBC Sports appearances for the Black Bears?

superman7515
October 14th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Tragically, I can confirm this rumor. *shudders, sobs*

Show me on the doll where he touched you...

LeeshaJo
October 14th, 2013, 12:38 PM
UNI - needs no reason other than I still think they are a top 3 team, and now are desperate
YSU - under the radar fighting for respect
Eastern Illinois - after the hurt SDSU put on them last year I can go without seeing them in the playoffs for awhile.

Twentysix
October 14th, 2013, 12:50 PM
EIU YSU and SIU.

SpeedkingATL
October 14th, 2013, 12:56 PM
NDSU - Best defense in the FCS and a cool mascot.
Samford - I think many of their linemen were bred with baby elephants
SHSU - They just look fast and the all orange uniforms remind me of Halloween.

fmrbearkat
October 14th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Towson is the one team I would not want to see come to Bower's for the playoffs. They would be the scariest out of any team i can see. Eastern Illinois would be a tough out for us but I don't see their offense being a whole lot better than Eastern Washington's and we took care of buisness there. I would rather face NDSU in the Dome in the semi's than in Frisco. I think the biggest threat to NDSU this year would be Towson (if they learn some discipline), Eastern Washington, Eastern Illinois, or SHSU in the Semi's. If they get past the Semi's and get 3 weeks to prepare for a team then #3 is in the bag. Just my 2 cents.

walliver
October 14th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Western Carolina
Furman
App State

They are the three teams left on our schedule that we should beat. Western is this weekend opponent, and I still have nightmares about the second half collapse in the 'Whee in 2007 (we won but it didn't feel like it). App State will get its act together at some point (I'm hoping its next year). Furman still has the potential to ruin someone's day. We haven't played particularly well against teams we should beat.

The other teams on our schedule (Sammy and Chatty) have legitimate teams, and those games could go either way, but I don't find that "scary".

frozennorth
October 14th, 2013, 06:40 PM
EIU EWU Maine

Samalum'10
October 14th, 2013, 08:17 PM
NDSU- obviously
EWU- beat 'em once, hope to baby jesus we don't have to play them again.
EIU/UNI- I know almost nothing about these teams, but apparently they are really good

ElCid
October 14th, 2013, 10:16 PM
I like to think of it by Conference at this point. But if I had to stick to three:

- E Illinois, SHSU, and Towson. All very scary.

Otherwise, and I don't necessarily always pick the known quantities:

Big Sky - Land of the Offense - The obvious answer is EWU since they will probably hang a bunch on you. But for a slight twist, I would fear S Utah at his point if I were EWU, Montana St, or NAU....they have a pretty good D waiting to jump up and bite you and maybe ruin your day.
Big South - SOCON slayers - How good is Chuck South, really? Scary unknown, at least for a little while.
Colonial - Land of the explosive play - I would fear Towson, especially if my team were ahead. When down, they play possessed.
Ivy - It's like Ouija board football - who the heck knows what is going to happen except the spirits - I guess I would fear Princeton at this point. Oh wait, I hear something else coming in. No, that was gas.
MEAC - Everyone better fear SC State (where did they come from?) - but they are probably looking at B-C instead.
Missouri Valley - Land of NDSU - Too easy to pick them - they are a known quantity - I would fear YSU at this point. Quietly getting it done so far. Just like a dark horse should (or a dark Antarctic avian in this case).
Northeast - I would fear Bryant - Road losses to Maine (2 scores) & Stoney Brook (1 Score).
Ohio Valley - Two scary teams right now - E Illinois will hang 50 on most without skipping a beat; Tenn St hiding in the shadows.
Patriot - Fordam is a know quantity - Lehigh is scary in that you never know how many they can come back from when they are down. No lead seems to be too safe.
Pioneer - Mercer, hands down. They are not supposed to win games their first year out. What's up with that?
Southern - Land of the Asterisks - Samford, by far, is way too scary on offense, maybe even for Chatty.
Southland - Other Land of the Offense - SHSU - A known quantity, but they just know how to win (at least up until the championship game, sorry, couldn't resist).
Southwest - nobody really. Maybe Alabama St because they need to win out in their division badly in order to win it.

katstrapper
October 14th, 2013, 11:01 PM
NDSU - Best defense in the FCS and a cool mascot.
Samford - I think many of their linemen were bred with baby elephants
SHSU - They just look fast and the all orange uniforms remind me of Halloween.

Not to wear rose colored glasses here, but as a long time season ticket holder at Sam Houston, I can honestly say I dont think I have seen a faster team speedwise than what Coach Fritz has put together the last 4 years.

My three picks... ( in no particular order)

Towson
Eastern Washington (after seeing them live, they dont to be given another chance)
UNI

fmrbearkat
October 15th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Not to wear rose colored glasses here, but as a long time season ticket holder at Sam Houston, I can honestly say I dont think I have seen a faster team speedwise than what Coach Fritz has put together the last 4 years.

My three picks... ( in no particular order)

Towson
Eastern Washington (after seeing them live, they dont to be given another chance)
UNI

The thing about EWU is that running back is pretty damned good! Add that to Vernon Adams ability to run and they are a legit threat running the ball. The OL are good run blockers. Pass blocking was suspect to me but don't doubt that they have a running game! And we all know they can throw the ball as well as any team in the country!

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 15th, 2013, 10:33 PM
North Dakota State
Towson
Maine

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Pioneer - Mercer, hands down. They are not supposed to win games their first year out. What's up with that?

I think your question may have been rhetorical, but, if not, I'll give you my fairly well-informed opinion...

1) BIGGEST FACTOR, BY FAR - Quality of HS Football in GA
2) University with majors and grad schools in just about everything a prospect could want to study & quite well-funded (academic money 'spends' just as well as athletic money)
3) Excellent Coaching
4) 1st class facilities
5) Smart and favorable scheduling

ElCid
October 16th, 2013, 05:35 AM
I think your question may have been rhetorical, but, if not, I'll give you my fairly well-informed opinion...

2) University with majors and grad schools in just about everything a prospect could want to study & quite well-funded (academic money 'spends' just as well as athletic money)
3) Excellent Coaching
4) 1st class facilities

It was. I think Mercer is the best add of the three we have coming into the SOCON. I know all about Mercer as it is 20 miles up the road.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 16th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Teams that could put the hurt on real quick:

SHSU
EWU
EIU

kalm
October 16th, 2013, 06:33 AM
The thing about EWU is that running back is pretty damned good! Add that to Vernon Adams ability to run and they are a legit threat running the ball. The OL are good run blockers. Pass blocking was suspect to me but don't doubt that they have a running game! And we all know they can throw the ball as well as any team in the country!

I agree. But you're speed is on both sides of the ball and our O-line got beat constantly in pass protection. Agressive scheming helps too.

Grizalltheway
October 16th, 2013, 10:04 AM
I like to think of it by Conference at this point. But if I had to stick to three:

- E Illinois, SHSU, and Towson. All very scary.

Otherwise, and I don't necessarily always pick the known quantities:

Big Sky - Land of the Offense - The obvious answer is EWU since they will probably hang a bunch on you. But for a slight twist, I would fear S Utah at his point if I were EWU, Montana St, or NAU....they have a pretty good D waiting to jump up and bite you and maybe ruin your day.

In the interest of making sure people don't forget about my beloved Grizzlies, I'd like to point out that we're actually first in the conference in scoring offense, and first in the conference in scoring D. We may be flying under the radar as far as the polls are concerned, but if I were a fan of any other team, I would certainly not relish the thought of making a trip to Missoula in November or December this year.

Twentysix
October 16th, 2013, 10:07 AM
In the interest of making sure people don't forget about my beloved Grizzlies, I'd like to point out that we're actually first in the conference in scoring offense, and first in the conference in scoring D. We may be flying under the radar as far as the polls are concerned, but if I were a fan of any other team, I would certainly not relish the thought of making a trip to Missoula in November or December this year.

CP USD and Montana state will probably hurt your averages a little bit.

Grizalltheway
October 16th, 2013, 10:13 AM
CP USD and Montana state will probably hurt your averages a little bit.

USD, really? Surely you mean EWU...

Twentysix
October 16th, 2013, 10:18 AM
USD, really? Surely you mean EWU...

EWU plays defense?

USD held your common opponent to less points than UM. Lol.

USD has the #6 total defense and the #11 scoring defense in the FCS.

EWU is not in the top 50 in either category. A lot of it likely has to do with their comparative schedules, but USD has a better defense than EWU.

Grizalltheway
October 16th, 2013, 10:51 AM
EWU plays defense?

USD held your common opponent to less points than UM. Lol.

USD has the #6 total defense and the #11 scoring defense in the FCS.

EWU is not in the top 50 in either category. A lot of it likely has to do with their comparative schedules, but USD has a better defense than EWU.

As far as points per game allowed, USD hasn't scored more than 16 points in a game this season, and they haven't exactly faced any elite defenses. They might hold our offense to less than the 40 we're averaging, but I don't see us allowing more than 2 TDs against such a mediocre offense.

catbob
October 16th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I think NAU gave a good blueprint on how to contain the high-octane Griz offense. Jump out to an early lead, key on stopping the Griz ground attack, and once the Griz have to play catch up, just pin your ears back and get after Johnson. NAU sacked JJ 4 times.

Twentysix
October 16th, 2013, 10:54 AM
As far as points per game allowed, USD hasn't scored more than 16 points in a game this season, and they haven't exactly faced any elite defenses. They might hold our offense to less than the 40 we're averaging, but I don't see us allowing more than 2 TDs against such a mediocre offense.

USD's o has nothing to do with it, just that MSU USD and CP will likely **** with your stat line.

Grizalltheway
October 16th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I think NAU gave a good blueprint on how to contain the high-octane Griz offense. Jump out to an early lead, key on stopping the Griz ground attack, and once the Griz have to play catch up, just pin your ears back and get after Johnson. NAU sacked JJ 4 times.

Credit to NAU for having a great gameplan, but our O-line is much better than they showed in that game; it was the only one in which they've allowed a sack. I think now that they've had a team come at them like that, they'll be much better prepared the next time it happens.

Grizalltheway
October 16th, 2013, 10:59 AM
USD's o has nothing to do with it, just that MSU USD and CP will likely **** with your stat line.

Okay. I was just using those to point out that our offense can be just as dangerous as Eastern's, even if it's not as flashy. And the only stat I'm really worried about is the W column.

gabe01
October 16th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Eastern Illinois because their qb is insane
Southern Illinois is playing as good as anyone
Youngstown offense is a machine

terrierbob
October 16th, 2013, 01:29 PM

3) Excellent Coaching
4) 1st class facilities

FUBeAR:

Does Mercer have a fan message board? I think I posted this somewhere a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had time to follow up.

A good friend of mine went to Mercer and Mercer Law, and we're going to Macon when Wofford and Mercer eventually play there.

Sam_Kats
October 16th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Haven't seen them live but I'd say the worst match up my Kats would face would be EIU

AmsterBison
October 16th, 2013, 01:41 PM
If I were a fan of a Big Sky team:

1) 2011 Sam Houston State
2) 2012 Sam Houston State
3) 2013 Sam Houston State

Texas
October 16th, 2013, 01:48 PM

Haha
SHSU can say the same about you guys. One day we will beat you again hopefully in next trip to Frisco.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Sam_Kats
October 16th, 2013, 02:07 PM

:D

robsnotes4u
October 16th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Credit to NAU for having a great gameplan, but our O-line is much better than they showed in that game; it was the only one in which they've allowed a sack. I think now that they've had a team come at them like that, they'll be much better prepared the next time it happens.

Why do you say they are much better? They are exactly what they showed. Gameplan is part of the game. It wasn't like you were missing half your starters on your line, and/or your QB. They were exposed for their weaknesses, by the NAU coaches and outplayed by the players. Plain and Simple.

Grizalltheway
October 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Why do you say they are much better? They are exactly what they showed. Gameplan is part of the game. It wasn't like you were missing half your starters on your line, and/or your QB. They were exposed for their weaknesses, by the NAU coaches and outplayed by the players. Plain and Simple.

Still butthurt about the beatdown we gave the former Sioux, I see. ;)

Anyway, I admit that NAU outplayed us and had a better game plan in that game. Every team has off days or comes in to a game not fully prepared, and they caught us napping for sure. Hell, NDSU got beat by Indiana State last year, do you really think they were the better team overall? If you want to take bets on which team goes farther in the playoffs and has better regular season record, then let's do this thing. xcoffeex

bojeta
October 16th, 2013, 02:39 PM
After the Yale dabacle.... every team scares me until we beat them!!

bisonboone11
October 16th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I think a reason that Montana is being somewhat forgotten is that their wins haven't been against very good competition: App St (1-5); UND (2-4); OK Panhandle St (DII); Portland St (3-4, with two of those wins against sub D1 teams); UC Davis (2-5). I thought they were looking really good after their first three games. Then they got beat by NAU, and we found out that App St isn't their normal selves this year. I don't know what to think of Montana right now, but I definitely wouldn't put them in my top 3 scariest teams right now.

Grizalltheway
October 16th, 2013, 03:15 PM
I think a reason that Montana is being somewhat forgotten is that their wins haven't been against very good competition: App St (1-5); UND (2-4); OK Panhandle St (DII); Portland St (3-4, with two of those wins against sub D1 teams); UC Davis (2-5). I thought they were looking really good after their first three games. Then they got beat by NAU, and we found out that App St isn't their normal selves this year. I don't know what to think of Montana right now, but I definitely wouldn't put them in my top 3 scariest teams right now.

Certainly understandble, and I think we'll prove ourselves against tougher competition the next couple of weeks.

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2013, 10:28 PM
FUBeAR:

Does Mercer have a fan message board? I think I posted this somewhere a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had time to follow up.

A good friend of mine went to Mercer and Mercer Law, and we're going to Macon when Wofford and Mercer eventually play there.

Nothing much to speak of yet. I'll post the links to the dribs & drabs that are out there, but as I said in another thread on here, I'm trying to get Stumpy from Furman's "TheUFFP" to get it started. So far, he's refused. I think he's just raking in so much cash from running TheUFFP, that he doesn't see an acceptable rate of return and/or quick enough ROI in starting up a Mercer board. Not really - just bustin' on Stumpy a bit. I imagine someone will crank something up eventually.

http://socon.boards.net/ - a little Mercer discussion on here, not much...yet

http://csnbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=327 - has potential to become the 'home board' I guess...not very active yet

http://pflfan.proboards.com/ - some Mercer talk on here...for now...not much...and not much longer, I imagine.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/241990082512670/ - Open Facebook Group - not a message board, but pretty active (almost 500 'members') and the Admin does a good job of keeping up with the latest Mercer Football info

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2013, 10:57 PM
1: Chattanooga
2: Chattanooga
3: Valparasio

...which is Latin for Chattanooga.

1. Chattanooga
2. Chattanooga 2nd string
3. Chattanooga scout team (runs the triple option)

I had a tough time picking 2 and 3...really should probably be 2a and 2b

LeadBolt
October 17th, 2013, 07:05 AM
On the William & Mary schedule I'll go with Maine, Towson and Villanova, in no particular order.

pike51
October 17th, 2013, 08:08 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. Chattanooga 2nd string
3. Chattanooga scout team (runs the triple option)

I had a tough time picking 2 and 3...really should probably be 2a and 2b

I'm honestly not sure I can agree with this. The Chattanooga Twerking Girls might be the most scary team of all!

Twentysix
September 26th, 2016, 03:41 AM
Lol the chattanooga memes.

tomq04
September 26th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Lol the chattanooga memes.

FROM THE GRAVE.... ARISE!!!

In 2016 EWU is the team no one should be happy about playing. Most complete team since 2010.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 26th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Got 'em #2 after NDSU in my poll. I actually think EWU is the "scarier" team based on results to date in 2016, but NDSU will not relinquish that #1 ranking without some kind of loss.

UNIFanSince1983
September 26th, 2016, 08:10 AM
FROM THE GRAVE.... ARISE!!!

In 2016 EWU is the team no one should be happy about playing. Most complete team since 2010.

Is it though? The least amount of points you have given up is 30 to a quite offensively inept UNI team.

Also still no run game.

eiu1999
September 26th, 2016, 08:13 AM
EIU - Great offense and fantastic ooc schedule which they almost sweep. Best OVC team in years?
SHSU - 6 time BSC champs, and unstoppable unless your name is Lamar
Bizon

???????????

UNIFanSince1983
September 26th, 2016, 08:14 AM
???????????

This post is a necro from 2013 so he was talking about the Jimmy G Panthers.

ysubigred
September 26th, 2016, 08:17 AM
WOW!! All the love for my flightless birds!

Just wondering why? It's Sep/Oct still xeyebrowx

NDSU is top's until proven otherwise.

Other scary teams is anybody YSU plays in late Oct and Nov xbabycryx

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2016, 08:18 AM
WOW!! All the love for my flightless birds!

Just wondering why? It's Oct still xeyebrowx

NDSU is top's until proven otherwise.

Other scary teams is anybody YSU plays in late Oct and Nov xbabycryx

You're correct but this thread is from 2013 and twenty six just decided to play Jesus with it and bring it back to life xlolx

ysubigred
September 26th, 2016, 08:20 AM
You're correct but this thread is from 2013 and twenty six just decided to play Jesus with it and bring it back to life xlolx

Holy **** just noticed that xembarrassedx Still no change for my comments LOL!!