PDA

View Full Version : 9/30 Southland football report

blackfordpu
October 1st, 2006, 10:59 PM
It is bad when the highlighted game is one between a I-AA and a DII team. It says a lot about the state of the conference right now.

FRISCO, Texas - Northwestern State sophomore tailback Byron Lawrence outgained Arkansas-Monticello by himself, running for 151 yards while the Purple Swarm defense was dominant, lifting the sluggish Demons' football team over the Division II Boll Weevils 20-3 Saturday night at Turpin Stadium.

The Division I-AA Demons (2-2), playing on the heels of an open date last weekend, notched their 24th straight win over a Division II foe dating back to 1994. Northwestern won despite failing to score on five trips to the visitors 15 or closer, suffering two blocked field goals, another missed three-pointer and an interception in the end zone before ending the game at the UAM 1.

"It's a win and those don't come easy," said Northwestern head coach Scott Stoker. "Obviously we left a lot of room for improvement, especially near the goalline. You have to give our defense credit for shutting them down after they hit a couple of fade routes on the first drive."

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/093006aaa.html

Dallas Demon
October 2nd, 2006, 12:13 AM
I noticed that, I guess Northwestern's win was the best to offer unfortunately.

texcap
October 2nd, 2006, 01:30 AM
I noticed that, I guess Northwestern's win was the best to offer unfortunately.

It was the only thing to offer. Three teams did not lose in the SLC last week (Nicholls, Northwestern State, and Texas State). Of those two didn't play; which one are you going to write about?:rolleyes:

They could always write about incoming Central Arkansas since they are the only one doing any winning.

Thanks to the overtime rules in college there are bound to be some to chose from next week since the teams start playing each other.