PDA

View Full Version : Price Dismissed From Mountaineers Team

AppMan
October 13th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Arrested again last night. Glad we are rid of this cancer. Let the clean up begin!

chattownmocs
October 13th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Best QB and WRs in the nation.

IBleedYellow
October 13th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Hopefully he's the reason you guys aren't doing well?

Wishful thinking?

superman7515
October 13th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Hopefully he's the reason you guys aren't doing well?

Wishful thinking?

He may not have been helping, but the on the field issues at AppState run deeper than one player.

IBleedYellow
October 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I'm talking attitude problems, Supe. One bad apple can go a long way to carrying a team down with complacency.

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Kudos to ASU for doing the right thing with this kid. He was given plenty of chances...what a waste of talent.

WataugaDave
October 13th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Regardless of how talented he is, keeping someone who behaves like this (getting in fights, driving drunk) on the team isn't a good image for the university or for college football as a whole.

What was he arrested for this time? Hopefully his enrollment in the university is at question as well.

Nova09
October 13th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Kudos to ASU for doing the right thing with this kid. He was given plenty of chances...what a waste of talent.

xlolxxlolxxlolx I can't believe someone is seriously commending the team who once handled this kid by suspending him and then manipulating the games in which he would actually serve the suspension. They have completely enabled him, and it reached a tipping point. Actually disciplining him and getting him to focus on using his on-field talent would have deserved accolades, not App's approach.

Nova09
October 13th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Does anyone know how the NCAA transfer rules would apply with App transitioning? Price has 2 years of eligibility remaining, right? So normally a transfer from FBS to FCS with 2 years remaining could compete without sitting a year. Not sure how that applies with App's situation. Also, this is assuming it is a team suspension and not university suspension. If he is suspended from the university the NCAA gets a lot stricter.

cmaxwellgsu
October 13th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I think this part of the growing pains for App. Usually new coaches wind up having to run off guys for just being bad for the team overall. Some of them are going to be star talents that simply cause too much headache. Monken definitely had to do some of this. I think Satterfield is going to be fine when the cleanup starts taking affect.

SpeedkingATL
October 13th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Talk about a transition year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least get this stuff cleaned up this year and start fresh in 2014.

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2013, 04:53 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolx I can't believe someone is seriously commending the team who once handled this kid by suspending him and then manipulating the games in which he would actually serve the suspension. They have completely enabled him, and it reached a tipping point. Actually disciplining him and getting him to focus on using his on-field talent would have deserved accolades, not App's approach.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion.

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Regardless of how talented he is, keeping someone who behaves like this (getting in fights, driving drunk) on the team isn't a good image for the university or for college football as a whole.

What was he arrested for this time? Hopefully his enrollment in the university is at question as well.

The text I got said that he was arrested for felony assault by strangulation, resisting arrest, and public intoxication.

fmrbearkat
October 13th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Does anyone know how the NCAA transfer rules would apply with App transitioning? Price has 2 years of eligibility remaining, right? So normally a transfer from FBS to FCS with 2 years remaining could compete without sitting a year. Not sure how that applies with App's situation. Also, this is assuming it is a team suspension and not university suspension. If he is suspended from the university the NCAA gets a lot stricter.

Wouldnt matter even if they were considered FBS this year. He would still have to sit out due to the fact he was suspended/dismissed from the team when he transferred. Don't even think going D2 would change that. He sits for a year regardless.

walliver
October 13th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Wouldnt matter even if they were considered FBS this year. He would still have to sit out due to the fact he was suspended/dismissed from the team when he transferred. Don't even think going D2 would change that. He sits for a year regardless.

If he really was arrested for felony assault, he may spend next year playing for the prison team. Then he'll sign with Marshall.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 13th, 2013, 06:39 PM
If he really was arrested for felony assault, he may spend next year playing for the prison team. Then he'll sign with Marshall.

xlolx

WataugaDave
October 13th, 2013, 06:53 PM
The text I got said that he was arrested for felony assault by strangulation, resisting arrest, and public intoxication.
Haven't all of the problems he's gotten into involved alcohol? This is going beyond regular college antics, he might legitimately have a problem.

eaglewraith
October 13th, 2013, 10:31 PM
So he officially stepped out of bounds? :)

theasushow
October 13th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Wonder if the victim was Charlie Cobb....

SoCon2013
October 14th, 2013, 01:32 AM
He may not have been helping, but the on the field issues at AppState run deeper than one player.

BINGO. Of course its all JM's fault in the eyes of so many fans. It's gotten as bad as the constant "Bush's fault" decried by so many.

SoCon2013
October 14th, 2013, 01:33 AM

Too sad to be funny. :(

AppChicago
October 14th, 2013, 07:21 AM
BINGO. Of course its all JM's fault in the eyes of so many fans. It's gotten as bad as the constant "Bush's fault" decried by so many.

If you step away from the most fervent ideologues, it's more like "there's plenty of blame to go around" on both counts.

Price got his chances, received pretty standard punishments, and persisted in his self-destructive ways. This isn't a Steven Garcia, six-strikes-and-you're-out thing. I'm glad Satterfield stepped up and sent him packing. No one action can salvage this season, but if the kid's poison, it's time for him to go.

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2013, 07:26 AM
If you step away from the most fervent ideologues, it's more like "there's plenty of blame to go around" on both counts.

Price got his chances, received pretty standard punishments, and persisted in his self-destructive ways. This isn't a Steven Garcia, six-strikes-and-you're-out thing. I'm glad Satterfield stepped up and sent him packing. No one action can salvage this season, but if the kid's poison, it's time for him to go.

Looks like no one is really to blame but Price. Given his record, I doubt he cares. He strikes me as a guy who plays for the name on the back of the jersey instead of the name on the front.

AppChicago
October 14th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Looks like no one is really to blame but Price. Given his record, I doubt he cares. He strikes me as a guy who plays for the name on the back of the jersey instead of the name on the front.

I do sincerely hope that this is a cancer that's limited to Price, and that kicking him to the curb helps the team. But anytime you've got young guys demonstrating a pattern of poor decision making, you can't help but worry about the underlying team culture. And that's something for which coaches need to be held accountable.

StorminASU
October 14th, 2013, 07:34 AM
How accountable can you hold a coach who didn't recruit any of them about the team culture?

AppChicago
October 14th, 2013, 07:37 AM
How accountable can you hold a coach who didn't recruit any of them about the team culture?

The buck has to stop somewhere, and Satterfield knows that. Maybe it isn't fair for us to blame him, but he's got to hold himself accountable. It looks like he's doing that.

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2013, 07:48 AM

You can't, really.

I've watched this with Furman. Less a problem with discipline there, but sometimes a new coach comes in and sees the holes that need to be filled. Often the quickest road back is a short trip through hell.

Waco Kid
October 14th, 2013, 09:31 AM

To be clear that was the previous coach making the decision to pick and choose which games he would sit. Most App fans were not happy with that decision a year ago, and we are glad this guy (despite his talent) is no longer with the team. Satterfield is trying to clean up the mess he was handed, but unfortunately some people refuse to believe the program was left in bad shape. I doubt Price will be the last player to get kicked off/leave before the 2014 season begins.

StorminASU
October 14th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I think it was handed off in worse condition than anyone cares to admit, though it does seem like Scott should be able to do more with the team this year. Also hard to believe Jerry could have done much different with this crew under the same circumstances.

Waco Kid
October 14th, 2013, 10:26 AM

Who brought in the players we are having problems with?

I'm not saying Coach Moore went out looking for bad character players, but its very easy to see that he wasn't as involved as he should have been. He had some bad assistants (including his son) that he put his trust in and they did a poor job. It's understandable that a guy in his 70's wouldn't be able to stay in touch as he would have a few years earlier.

SpeedkingATL
October 14th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I guess Price really believed the "Always Attack" motto and carried it over to the bars in Boone!

FCSfan
October 14th, 2013, 01:22 PM

You can't, really.

I've watched this with Furman. Less a problem with discipline there, but sometimes a new coach comes in and sees the holes that need to be filled. Often the quickest road back is a short trip through hell.

are you guys delirious?

of course the coach is accountable! It's the HEAD coach that has been given the freaking privilege to HEAD a program and succeed in all aspects. That includes leading young men in a manner that impresses upon them the importance of representing an institution, making intelligent decisions and the rarest of traits in today's world, team above self. It is the HEAD coach that should set the standards and rules and have the testicles to enforce them no matter what the players status or talent level. HEAD coaches in today's world get paid more than enough to assume the blame for whatever happens on their team without the luxury of lame excuses like "I didn't recruit that player" or "it's so hard to control what's student/athletes do outside of the sport".

All of sports seems to have this issue and congratulations to the very few men that are real HEAD coaches that lead men instead of allowing players, boosters and wins to control decision making.

FCSfan
October 14th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I guess Price really believed the "Always Attack" motto and carried it over to the bars in Boone!

Now that's funny
go hard or go home

CID1990
October 14th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I can't think of any SoCon teams that would take him. There some outside the conference that wouldn't surprise me, though.

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I can't think of any SoCon teams that would take him. There some outside the conference that wouldn't surprise me, though.

He'll go the way of guys like Isaiah Crowell. Find any program that will take him, disappear into obscurity, and hope to make a run at the NFL draft.

AppMan
October 14th, 2013, 04:55 PM

are you guys delirious?

of course the coach is accountable! It's the HEAD coach that has been given the freaking privilege to HEAD a program and succeed in all aspects. That includes leading young men in a manner that impresses upon them the importance of representing an institution, making intelligent decisions and the rarest of traits in today's world, team above self. It is the HEAD coach that should set the standards and rules and have the testicles to enforce them no matter what the players status or talent level. HEAD coaches in today's world get paid more than enough to assume the blame for whatever happens on their team without the luxury of lame excuses like "I didn't recruit that player" or "it's so hard to control what's student/athletes do outside of the sport".

All of sports seems to have this issue and congratulations to the very few men that are real HEAD coaches that lead men instead of allowing players, boosters and wins to control decision making.

If the new HC starts flushing these kids right out of the box based on past sins he may be left with no team. Give them the new rules to live by and then if they can't live by 'em give 'em their walking papers. Given Price's issues in 2012, I think he should have been shown the door after the incident in August. I do think the athletic department needs to have a department wide meeting and let these kids kow they are now on a zero tolerance policy. One strike and you're done. If you don't like it you are free to leave.

dbackjon
October 14th, 2013, 05:48 PM
The Price is Wrong, Bitch!

Shameful he was still on the team in the first place.

T-Dog
October 14th, 2013, 06:00 PM
The Price is Wrong, Bitch!

Shameful he was still on the team in the first place.

**** happens. You never know how some will transition from high school to college.

He was given a chance after his incident in August to right the ship and he messed up again. He met all the conditions Satterfield gave him (which was two pages long) and was re-instated four weeks ago. Only so much you can do.

SoCon2013
October 14th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Haven't all of the problems he's gotten into involved alcohol? This is going beyond regular college antics, he might legitimately have a problem.
He definitely does have a problem with alcohol.

SU DOG
October 14th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I hope this young man straightens his life out. I thought he definitely had NFL talent, but was surprised at his play in the game Saturday. He was not a factor at all - catching 4 passes for 16 yds. He also seemed to want to hesitate and side-step rather than turning it on with the speed that I remember. Tragic for sure.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 15th, 2013, 12:54 PM

I doubt ETSU would take him.

pike51
October 15th, 2013, 01:22 PM
So he officially stepped out of bounds? :)

I'm not sure this post got the love it absolutely deserves. Well played sir!

kdinva
October 15th, 2013, 02:12 PM

schools in Lynchburg and Harrisonburg come to mind..........

ASUMountaineer
October 17th, 2013, 09:41 AM

New coach, new approach champ. xlolx xlolx xlolx