PDA

View Full Version : UTA Study First Step in Bringing Back Football?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2013, 11:48 AM
I found this curious.

http://www.theshorthorn.com/sports/internal-athletics-title-ix-review-underway/article_c9e383c2-312d-11e3-ac66-001a4bcf6878.html

I don't buy the explanation. Why perform a Title IX audit if it's not required by the NCAA? Could this be the gateway for having UTA start football again, if such an audit "passed with flying colors"?

UTA's in the Sun Belt, so that might affect realignment and the Sun Belt's interest in poaching another FCS team, so it's something of interest to FCS fans, I think.

Laker
October 11th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I'm so old, I can remember when they used to have football before the dropped the sport.

DFW HOYA
October 11th, 2013, 12:03 PM
UTA was the school that built a 12,500 seat stadium in the early 1980's and cancelled football a year later. Not a lot of long-term planning in that era.

The seating was a bit steep:

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/simages/274.jpg

Bill
October 11th, 2013, 12:10 PM
One of my friends from Dallas likes to brag that they play both sports in TX. Football and spring Football!

DFW HOYA
October 11th, 2013, 12:23 PM
UTA has traditioinally been against football, not for some academic bent but that the athletic department was never built to handle it.

When UTA was in the SLC this was practical if not altogether feasible. But UTA is in the Sun Belt--are they ready for that level? Not at that stadium, and certainly not at the other stadium down the road...

IBleedYellow
October 11th, 2013, 12:37 PM
UTA has traditioinally been against football, not for some academic bent but that the athletic department was never built to handle it.

When UTA was in the SLC this was practical if not altogether feasible. But UTA is in the Sun Belt--are they ready for that level? Not at that stadium, and certainly not at the other stadium down the road...

They are already in the SBC, if they are able to get more pie from the SBC i bet they try to start it up.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2013, 12:52 PM
From the Sun Belt's perspective this is a good thing because it's insurance if other schools leave the conference for any reason, assuming the Very Big News in January doesn't somehow involve some new football classification.

DFW HOYA
October 11th, 2013, 01:10 PM
From the Sun Belt's perspective this is a good thing because it's insurance if other schools leave the conference for any reason, assuming the Very Big News in January doesn't somehow involve some new football classification.

If schools leave the Belt already has a short list of schools from the SoCon or OVC.

Sandlapper Spike
October 11th, 2013, 01:59 PM
If schools leave the Belt already has a short list of schools from the SoCon or OVC.

And Liberty.

ThompsonThe
October 11th, 2013, 04:21 PM
And Liberty.

The Sun Belt would not take Liberty University as a member if it meant closing down the SBC.
It would guarantee their doom if they ever got into the Sun Belt, and they know it.

Catatonic
October 11th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I'm so old, I can remember when they used to have football before the dropped the sport.

Me too, from the Arlington State and early Southland Conference days.

MplsBison
October 11th, 2013, 08:48 PM

Maybe Jerry would give them a sweet deal on rent in exchange for a hefty cut of the revenues to get some more football in there during the weekdays? He loves college football and probably wouldn't mind some Sun Belt action in there six times a year, weekday games.

T-Dog
October 11th, 2013, 11:25 PM
The Sun Belt would not take Liberty University as a member if it meant closing down the SBC.
It would guarantee their doom if they ever got into the Sun Belt, and they know it.

Never say never.