PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions About Division I-AA Teams.

Zoo
September 30th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Hi guys, i'm just wondering of you guys can answer these questions for me. :) (They have really been bothering me as to why I can't figure out. xlolx )

1.) Why don't Division 1-A teams go to a Division 1-AA team's stadium when they meet?

2.) Why do Division 1-AA teams usually get blown out by Division 1-A teams 75%-85% of the time?

3.) How often do Division 1-AA teams move up to Division 1-A?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

youwouldno
September 30th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Wow, you must really have a life. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

rmutv
September 30th, 2006, 11:42 PM
1. Division I-A teams pay I-AA teams because there is usually a huge difference in talent. D-I teams get an extra home game to pad their attendance figures and budgets while I-AA teams have the very off chance of an upset and the prestige of playing a top-notch team.

2. See huge talent difference and a lack of recruting money for the smaller I-AA teams.

3. Not often.

Tod
September 30th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Are you a I-AA fan, or a I-A fan? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tod
September 30th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Hi guys, i'm just wondering of you guys can answer these questions for me. :) (They have really been bothering me as to why I can't figure out. xlolx )

1.) Why don't Division 1-A teams go to a Division 1-AA team's stadium when they meet?

2.) Why do Division 1-AA teams usually get blown out by Division 1-A teams 75%-85% of the time?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Who's your team?

September 30th, 2006, 11:47 PM

Thanks. :thumbsup:1. I-AA teams will not pay what most I-A teams can make at home. This often works between all teams regardless of divisions or subdivisions.
2. They don't.
3. Not very often.

Zoo
September 30th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I'm a fan of both, but I lean more to Division 1-AA. My team is Montana, but again, I like alot of them. :thumbsup:

Wow, you must really have a life.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
Yeah, I kind of really don't know.xlolx

Tod
October 1st, 2006, 12:11 AM
I'm a fan of both, but I lean more to Division 1-AA. My team is Montana, but again, I like alot of them. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I kind of really don't know.xlolx

Where are you from?

Zoo
October 1st, 2006, 02:19 AM
Where are you from?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin. :nod:

UMass922
October 1st, 2006, 03:10 AM
2. They don't.

1. What's the all time I-AA vs. I-A win-loss record, and what's the average point differential?

2. If we roughly define a "blowout" as a game decided by three or more touchdowns (let's just go with the nice round number and say 20+ points--and we can certainly debate what kind of point spread constitutes a "blowout," while acknowledging that the final margin is not always indicative of how closely the game was played), what's the percentage of I-A "blowout" wins?

Not trying to be fussy skeptic/contrarian/anti-I-AA troll here, just genuinely curious.

October 1st, 2006, 03:21 AM
1. What's the all time I-AA vs. I-A win-loss record, and what's the average point differential?

2. If we roughly define a "blowout" as a game decided by three or more touchdowns (let's just go with the nice round number and say 20+ points--and we can certainly debate what kind of point spread constitutes a "blowout," while acknowledging that the final margin is not always indicative of how closely the game was played), what's the percentage of I-A "blowout" wins?...1. I don't know but I think 85% blowouts is not right.
2. I don't consider 20 points a blowout, maybe 35. I don't know but I think 85% blowouts is not right.

40% were this week:
Texas 56, Sam Houston State 3
Hawaii 44, Eastern Ill 9
Boston College 22, Maine 0
Wake Forest 34, Liberty 14
Iowa State 28, Northern Iowa 27

UMass922
October 1st, 2006, 04:39 AM
1. I don't know but I think 85% blowouts is not right.
2. I don't consider 20 points a blowout, maybe 35. I don't know but I think 85% blowouts is not right.

40% were this week:
Texas 56, Sam Houston State 3
Hawaii 44, Eastern Ill 9
Boston College 22, Maine 0
Wake Forest 34, Liberty 14
Iowa State 28, Northern Iowa 27

It's not worth making too much of a fuss over, but I think 35 is rather generous. I'd maybe compromise at 25--at that point, we're talking a (minimum) four-possession game, after all--but even at 20, face it: if you lose by that much, you most likely got your butt handed to you. (Granted, in some 20-point games the winning team might have busted loose for a couple late touchdowns to produce a deceptively wide margin--but I imagine that, in a large sample of almost three-decades' worth of games [which is what we'd be looking at here], those are probably cancelled out by 20-point games that weren't even that "close" [e.g., the losing team lowers the final margin by scoring a couple garbage-time touchdowns against the opponents' second- or third-stringers].)

Obviously in this week's sample of games, 35 vs. 20 is an important distinction, since it means the difference between 40% blowouts and 80% blowouts.

Regardless of the semantics of "blowout," though: if this week's games are representative of the long-term (and obviously I don't know whether they are or not)--that is, if roughly 80% of games between I-A and I-AA teams have resulted in a 20+ point victory for the I-A team--then I think it's fair to say that, on the whole, I-AA has not been terribly competitive with I-A in head-to-head matchups: which is to say, the original-poster's assumption would be correct. (Again, I'm of course just playing with "ifs" here, and would be curious to see the actual numbers.)

ravens
October 1st, 2006, 05:50 AM
It's not worth making too much of a fuss over, but I think 35 is rather generous. I'd maybe compromise at 25--at that point, we're talking a (minimum) four-possession game, after all--but even at 20, face it: if you lose by that much, you most likely got your butt handed to you. (Granted, in some 20-point games the winning team might have busted loose for a couple late touchdowns to produce a deceptively wide margin--but I imagine that, in a large sample of almost three-decades' worth of games [which is what we'd be looking at here], those are probably cancelled out by 20-point games that weren't even that "close" [e.g., the losing team lowers the final margin by scoring a couple garbage-time touchdowns against the opponents' second- or third-stringers].)

Obviously in this week's sample of games, 35 vs. 20 is an important distinction, since it means the difference between 40% blowouts and 80% blowouts.

Regardless of the semantics of "blowout," though: if this week's games are representative of the long-term (and obviously I don't know whether they are or not)--that is, if roughly 80% of games between I-A and I-AA teams have resulted in a 20+ point victory for the I-A team--then I think it's fair to say that, on the whole, I-AA has not been terribly competitive with I-A in head-to-head matchups: which is to say, the original-poster's assumption would be correct. (Again, I'm of course just playing with "ifs" here, and would be curious to see the actual numbers.)

I don't even want to try to define blowouts but I would guess we lose 90% of the games by an average of roughly 20 points.....BUT the other 10% of the games we pull MAJOR upsets before huge crowds and go home with more loot than we make the whole rest of the season.....How sweet is that?

RadMann
October 1st, 2006, 06:53 AM
rmutv: Both I-A and I-AA teams are "Division I".