PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Santos

ChickenMan
September 30th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I posted a portion of these comments on the UNH/UD game thread... but Santo's performance was so incrediable that it deserves it's own space. As I stated...

Ricky Santos is the most Houdini like QB I have ever seen in Delaware Stadium... time after time he killed the UD defense and saved UNH's butts... with unbeliveable escapes... turning what should have been very negative plays into very big positive plays. Is Santos really that good or is UD's tackling really that bad??? Tonight I think it was a little bit of both.

I've seen a lot of UD games... but I have never seen any player (including Brian Westbrook) regardless of their postion... peform any better vs UD than Mr Santos did tonight. No doubt that Santos was greatly assisted by the Hens very shoddy tackling... but regardless it was a tremendous performance. I won't say Santos won the game all by himself... but I sure wouldn't argue with anyone who claimed that he did.

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I posted a portion of these comments on the UNH/UD game thread... but Santo's performance was so incrediable that it deserves it's own space. As I stated...

Ricky Santos is the most Houdini like QB I have ever seen in Delaware Stadium... time after time he killed the UD defense and saved UNH's butts... with unbeliveable escapes... turning what should have been very negative plays into very big positive plays. Is Santos really that good or is UD's tackling really that bad??? Tonight I think it was a little bit of both.

I've seen a lot of UD games... but I have never seen any player (including Brian Westbrook) regardless of their postion... peform any better vs UD than Mr Santos did tonight. No doubt that Santos was greatly assisted by the Hens very shoddy tackling... but regardless it was a tremendous performance. I won't say Santos won the game all by himself... but I sure wouldn't argue with anyone who claimed that he did.

stats to back up your comments?

ChickenMan
September 30th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Obviously you didn't see the game...

Tod
September 30th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Santos is, or will be, the best QB in the history of I-AA.

Coastal89
September 30th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I watched the whole game and UD did have more misssed tackles than I could count but Santos' play was unbeleivable.

FUwolfpacker
September 30th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Stats aren't necessary if you saw the game tonight. Santos definitely had over 100 yards rushing tonight, possibly closer to 150 (and most were after he escaped the grasp of a couple of UD tacklers). I'm not sure how many yards he threw for, but it had to be around 300 or over. The one play he made tonight on the botched snap where he pulled a Wilt Chamberlin hook shot type pass to the smaller UNH RB was incredible. I knew Santos could throw the ball, but his scrambling ability really impressed me tonight.

I've said it a bunch tonight, but that game was one of the most entertaining games I've every seen. Congrats to UNH and Santos.

UNHWildCats
September 30th, 2006, 10:59 PM
check the new thread I just made to back up the comment about Santos will be the best QB in I-AA history.

September 30th, 2006, 10:59 PM
stats to back up your comments?C/ATT YDS LG TD INT
Ricky Santos 21/30 281 43 3 0
ATT YDS AVG TD LG
Ricky Santos 13 110 8.5 2 19

youwouldno
September 30th, 2006, 11:04 PM
A lot of his passes were pretty easy, but what makes him incredible is his ability to make the right decision, elude defenders, and just create plays where none should exist. He's just a natural QB... you can't teach the things that make him great.

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 11:05 PM
C/ATT YDS LG TD INT
Ricky Santos 21/30 281 43 3 0
ATT YDS AVG TD LG
Ricky Santos 13 110 8.5 2 19

Thank you ralph.

And yes those are excellent numbers.

Henny
September 30th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Why would Ricky taunt UD and get a penalty (und UNH have a excessive celebration that wasnt called)

Del. is a very medeocre team with most experts picking UNH starters to be resting early in the 3rd quarter.

Delaware isnt even worthy of being in the top 40 according to the expert at Sports Network.

This seeem like strang behavior for a player and team of this calaber to act like this.

Was UNH getting pentalties for excessive celabration against Dartmouth or S. B. ?

Bisonforlife
September 30th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Santos is a stud -- He also is playing on a team with a number of other talented players:)

Tod
September 30th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Why would Ricky taunt UD and get a penalty (und UNH have a excessive celebration that wasnt called)

Del. is a very medeocre team with most experts picking UNH starters to be resting early in the 3rd quarter.

Delaware isnt even worthy of being in the top 40 according to the expert at Sports Network.

This seeem like strang behavior for a player and team of this calaber to act like this.

Was UNH getting pentalties for excessive celabration against Dartmouth or S. B. ?

Let me guess. You're a Republican? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

blukeys
September 30th, 2006, 11:24 PM
After seeing Santos in person tonite I believe he is the best runner on the UNH team. He has a better spin move than either Nos. 32 or 27. His play reminded me of sandlot football where the best athlete was the QB and he told everyone to go long and then would take off and run for a touchdown.

Mr. C
September 30th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Santos is, or will be, the best QB in the history of I-AA.
Aren't we getting a little carried away here? Surprised to see a Griz fan jump on this bandwagon, considering that Dave Dickenson would have to be in any conversation on the greatest I-AA QB. Again, can we let Ricky finish his junior year before we start the coronation? He still has to do some things to enter the pantheon with Steve McNair, Neil Lomax, Tracy Ham, Dickenson etc. (add your other names here). It would be hard to imagine what Steve McNair would have done with the talent around him that some of the top teams had.

September 30th, 2006, 11:55 PM
... most experts picking UNH starters to be resting early in the 3rd quarter...No, I think the consensus was that a UD win would be a surprise.

Tod
September 30th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Aren't we getting a little carried away here? Surprised to see a Griz fan jump on this bandwagon, considering that Dave Dickenson would have to be in any conversation on the greatest I-AA QB. Again, can we let Ricky finish his junior year before we start the coronation? He still has to do some things to enter the pantheon with Steve McNair, Neil Lomax, Tracy Ham, Dickenson etc. (add your other names here). It would be hard to imagine what Steve McNair would have done with the talent around him that some of the top teams had.

Not a coronation but a prediction. How's that? :nod: :nod:

Yeah, I know there are a lot of great I-AA QBs, but you said something yourself that, while not proving my point, supports it. "Let him finish his junior year". :eek:

Wow! Five TDs today, was it?

Wk. Opp. Att. Comp. Yards TD INT Carries Yds TDs Avg Result
3 at Northwestern 24 18 206 2 0 11 34 3 3.1 W 34-17
4 vs. Stony Brook 16 10 88 2 0 3 1 0 0.3 W 62-7
5 at Dartmouth 32 24 318 5 0 4 60 0 15 W 56-14
6 at Delaware 30 21 281 3 0 13 110 2 8.5 W 52-49
7 vs. Richmond
8 vs. James Madison
9 at Northeastern
10 vs. Hofstra
11 vs. Massachusetts
12 at Rhode Island
13 at Maine
Totals: 102 73 893 12 0 31 205 5 6.6 4-0
QB Rating: 183.9

Completing 72% of this passes for 12 TDs and 0 INTs, running for over 200 yards for another 5 TDs.

smle6200
October 1st, 2006, 12:12 AM
Hey i am new here but i backed up santos in high school and he is a winner. we came from a small division school in Bellingham mass. but he ran the table as a soph and a junior. It sucked for me bc he was a yr ahead of me and i didnt get to start except my senior yr. It was worth it. I knew he was a division 1 player from my freshman yr. he always made plays happen. but because of our location he was only limited to a couple schools. what do they say now? i bet B.c wishes they didnt give Matt Ryan that scholarship instead of ricky. He is a talent and ever since pop warner he has been special. this kid is for real and he will be a 4th round pick by his senior yr at the least if not he will prove he should of been

blukeys
October 1st, 2006, 12:31 AM
Hey i am new here but i backed up santos in high school and he is a winner. we came from a small division school in Bellingham mass. but he ran the table as a soph and a junior. It sucked for me bc he was a yr ahead of me and i didnt get to start except my senior yr. It was worth it. I knew he was a division 1 player from my freshman yr. he always made plays happen. but because of our location he was only limited to a couple schools. what do they say now? i bet B.c wishes they didnt give Matt Ryan that scholarship instead of ricky. He is a talent and ever since pop warner he has been special. this kid is for real and he will be a 4th round pick by his senior yr at the least if not he will prove he should of been

I would hope some pro team would see how special Santos is but I won't hold my breath. Great QB's from I-AA have to prove themselves (Warner, Gannon) when losers like Elvis Grbac are constantly given starting jobs where they fail and fail again.

NFL pro scouts always seem to have a physical prototype for QB's in mind and I see Santos falling short on some of their "assumptions"

These are:

1. While not short, Santos is not particularly tall. The NFL Scouts like their QB's to be 6'3" or taller. Santos is not there.

2. Santos is very accurate and can throw long but they well question his arm strength till he demonstrates that he can thread a needle on the 10 yard out.

Of course a lot of this is pure crap. No one ever said Joe Montana had the strongest arm in Pro Football and Billy Kilmer's Washington teams won despite his wounded duck pass attempts which always seemed to land in receiver's hands. But I think Santos like most other I-AA QB's will have to prove he can play while highly touted I-A QB's have to prove they CAN'T Play.

Tod
October 1st, 2006, 12:54 AM
I would hope some pro team would see how special Santos is but I won't hold my breath. Great QB's from I-AA have to prove themselves (Warner, Gannon) when losers like Elvis Grbac are constantly given starting jobs where they fail and fail again.

NFL pro scouts always seem to have a physical prototype for QB's in mind and I see Santos falling short on some of their "assumptions"

These are:

1. While not short, Santos is not particularly tall. The NFL Scouts like their QB's to be 6'3" or taller. Santos is not there.

2. Santos is very accurate and can throw long but they well question his arm strength till he demonstrates that he can thread a needle on the 10 yard out.

Of course a lot of this is pure crap. No one ever said Joe Montana had the strongest arm in Pro Football and Billy Kilmer's Washington teams won despite his wounded duck pass attempts which always seemed to land in receiver's hands. But I think Santos like most other I-AA QB's will have to prove he can play while highly touted I-A AB's have to prove they CAN'T Play.

:bow: :bow: :bow: Very good. :)

Your last sentence in particular. :nod:

GannonFan
October 1st, 2006, 12:55 AM

He's not Doug Flutie - he's 6'2". If he doesn't make it in the pros, it won't be because of his height.

KiddBrewer
October 1st, 2006, 12:57 AM
i hope and pray that we (appalachian) get to play UNH in the playoffs somewhere down the road. not because i think we will "shut him down" but we dont get to the chance to see him play, and im interested to see how our defense will fare against a quarterback of his ability level. a question for santos followers......if Ingle Martin was a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10, what is santos compared to Martin?

blukeys
October 1st, 2006, 01:05 AM
He's not Doug Flutie - he's 6'2". If he doesn't make it in the pros, it won't be because of his height.

GF that may be in the program but he did not look 6'2" to me tonite. Those figures are usually fudged a little. Like I said he is not short but I think he is closer to 6'0" or 6'1".
The pros like their QB's taller.

I think Santos can make it at the next level if given a fair shot. I just hope he's not waiting for a shot behind the next Elvis Grbac.

October 1st, 2006, 01:21 AM
...Like I said he is not short but I think he is closer to 6'0" or 6'1"...I have interviewed Santos in person several times. I am 6'. I think he may in fact be 6'2. :twocents:

HensRock
October 1st, 2006, 01:28 AM
GF that may be in the program but he did not look 6'2" to me tonite.

Saw him too. No way he is 6-2. Lucky if he's 6-0.

October 1st, 2006, 02:15 AM
Saw him too. No way he is 6-2. Lucky if he's 6-0.Wow, don't know what to think of that since I already said he's taller than me and I'm 6'. :confused:

Sam Adams
October 1st, 2006, 04:39 AM
I don't really give a crap about what so called experts think of his projected draft status etc. At this level he is one of the best I've ever seen for certain. I've stood near him when he took home that MVp hardware at last year's UNH UMass game. He's definately over 6ft.

Tubby Raymond
October 1st, 2006, 05:03 AM
i hope and pray that we (appalachian) get to play UNH in the playoffs somewhere down the road. not because i think we will "shut him down" but we dont get to the chance to see him play, and im interested to see how our defense will fare against a quarterback of his ability level. a question for santos followers......if Ingle Martin was a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10, what is santos compared to Martin?

Martin ain't even in the same stratosphere as Santos:nono:

UNHWildCats
October 1st, 2006, 08:08 AM

These are:

Of course a lot of this is pure crap. No one ever said Joe Montana had the strongest arm in Pro Football and Billy Kilmer's Washington teams won despite his wounded duck pass attempts which always seemed to land in receiver's hands. But I think Santos like most other I-AA QB's will have to prove he can play while highly touted I-A QB's have to prove they CAN'T Play.

My concern with Santos as an NFL QB is his lack of snaps under center. Though he handles the bad snaps in the shotgun very well. Perhaps Santos can be drafted for another position like Jerry Azumah was.

siugrad99
October 1st, 2006, 08:43 AM
Better than McNair huh ... Better @ the College level or at the pro level ?

ChickenMan
October 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM
if Ingle Martin was a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10, what is santos compared to Martin?

Ingle Martin was a very good QB... but Martin wasn't nearly the threat that is a Ricky Santos. What separates Santos from other outstanding I-AA QBs isn't his passing ability... which is outstanding... it's his decision making... elusiveness and big play ability. But Santos isn't just an elusive QB... he is a strong runner with an uncanny ability to break tackles. Rich Gannon was an outstanding and very mobile QB during his college days at UD... and while Gannon had a similar ability to avoid tacklers... I never saw RG run through tacklers like a Ricky Santos seems to do routinely. Throw in the fact that Santos really takes care of the football and avoids turnovers and you have one great college QB.

unhmildcat
October 1st, 2006, 09:35 AM
Stats aren't necessary if you saw the game tonight. Santos definitely had over 100 yards rushing tonight, possibly closer to 150 (and most were after he escaped the grasp of a couple of UD tacklers). I'm not sure how many yards he threw for, but it had to be around 300 or over. The one play he made tonight on the botched snap where he pulled a Wilt Chamberlin hook shot type pass to the smaller UNH RB was incredible. I knew Santos could throw the ball, but his scrambling ability really impressed me tonight.

I've said it a bunch tonight, but that game was one of the most entertaining games I've every seen. Congrats to UNH and Santos.

The 'Wilt Chamberlain' play was 'the #1 play of the day' on Spotscenter.

dwtime
October 1st, 2006, 10:28 AM
The 'Wilt Chamberlain' play was 'the #1 play of the day' on Spotscenter.

Was that the right handed almost a 'hook' shot pass to Kachert for the TD?

One of the sickest moves of the night was in 'I think' the forth quarter, some UD linebacker was blitzing and had Ricky dead to rights, Ricky flicked his arm out to the right with the ball and showing it to the linebacker and juked left right around him as he stood dumfounded for like a 15-20 yard gain.

LacesOut
October 1st, 2006, 11:02 AM
Anyone else notice all the bad snaps that Santos had to deal with? Seemed like 8-10 times or so he was reaching down around his ankles, to the left, to the right, to get the ball.

Outstanding QB. CM's post above is on point.

LacesOut
October 1st, 2006, 11:03 AM
Oh another thing. Maybe in the wrong thread, so I apologize, but I was shocked that UNH didn't throw alot of deep passes. Seemed like everything was underneath, and quick outs. I keep thinking, when are they going to go deep and take a shot downfield??

blukeys
October 1st, 2006, 11:08 AM
Oh another thing. Maybe in the wrong thread, so I apologize, but I was shocked that UNH didn't throw alot of deep passes. Seemed like everything was underneath, and quick outs. I keep thinking, when are they going to go deep and take a shot downfield??

They took a couple of deep shots to Nos. 86 and 87 they just didn't connect. One time a player was open but didn't bring it in. Most of the deep stuff was covered fairly well by UD's secondary the underneath crossing patterns especially to no. 19 was the most available open pass option.

unhmildcat
October 1st, 2006, 12:22 PM
Was that the right handed almost a 'hook' shot pass to Kachert for the TD?

One of the sickest moves of the night was in 'I think' the forth quarter, some UD linebacker was blitzing and had Ricky dead to rights, Ricky flicked his arm out to the right with the ball and showing it to the linebacker and juked left right around him as he stood dumfounded for like a 15-20 yard gain.

Yes.

I wish I had seen the game. CN8 apparently does not archive their webcasts for the general public's use.

rcny46
October 1st, 2006, 02:30 PM
Anyone else notice all the bad snaps that Santos had to deal with? Seemed like 8-10 times or so he was reaching down around his ankles, to the left, to the right, to get the ball.

Outstanding QB. CM's post above is on point.

I was at the Dartmouth game last week,and the same thing was happening there-numerous times.I listened to last night's game on local radio,and all I can say is you weren't the only one who noticed that problem.

HIU 93
October 1st, 2006, 03:16 PM
I don't think Ricky is the best ever, but he is one bad mother. I listened to part of the game on the radio as I was drivng to and from DSU for that game. I didn't see the game, but the impression I got from listening to it was that there was not a lot of defense played on either side.

UNHFootballAlum
October 1st, 2006, 08:33 PM
SANTOS NAMED A-10 OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

UNHknowledge
October 1st, 2006, 09:49 PM
SANTOS FOR HEISMAN

BALL FOR PAYTON

MCDONNELL FOR ROBINSON

Mr. C
October 1st, 2006, 10:37 PM
Martin ain't even in the same stratosphere as Santos:nono:
Martin IS an NFL quarterback, so that's not chopped liver. Martin was a great I-AA QB and I don't like the trashing he has received from some folks on AGS over the past couple of years. Martin would have put up much bigger numbers in almost ANY other system than what he played in at Furman. Furman has always been a run-first team. Don't forget, Steve Spurrier chose Martin to run Florida's offense, so obviously he saw something good about this guy. As a way of comparison, Santos would get the nod in terms of making viewer mistakes. He is less interception and fumble prone than Martin was. Martin had a stronger arm. Santos is extremely accurate. Santos has also had the luxury of having David Ball to throw to. Martin had good receivers as a junior (arguably the best two in Furman history, Isaac West and Brian Bratton), not as many, or talented targets as a senior. Martin has a proto-type NFL frame (he's 6-5). Santos is 6-1 or 6-2 (I met him in Chattanooga last year at The Sports Network Banquet, I'm 5-10 and he's taller than I am). The size thing will almost certainly make him a undrafted free agent. Not saying that's right, but that's the way the NFL is right now. There are some great I-AA QBs that had to go prove themselves in Canada, like Tracy Ham and Dave Dickenson, and Santos might find himself in the same position.

UNH SUPERFAN
October 2nd, 2006, 06:23 AM

I HAVE ATTENDED EVERY GAME RICKY SANTOS HAS PLAYED IN AND THIS WAS HIS BEST. HE WILLED UNH TO VICTORY SATURDAY NIGHT.

I HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT IF THIS LEVEL OF PLAY CONTINUES FROM SANTOS HE MERITS CONSIDERATION FOR THE HEISMAN TROPHY NEXT SEASON. THINK OF THE 1A COLLEGE QBS YOU'VE SEEN THIS YEAR. HOW MANY ARE BETTER THAN SANTOS?

UNH 40
October 2nd, 2006, 07:24 AM
Saw him too. No way he is 6-2. Lucky if he's 6-0.

You're a fool. You probably saw him from the stands this past saturday and made a guess at his height. I played with him for 2 years and can tell you that he is all of 6'2" and probably even a hair taller.

wildcat_fan
October 2nd, 2006, 07:28 AM
I am so bummed . . . I missed the UD game. Anybody know where I can catch some video from it?

UNH 40
October 2nd, 2006, 07:34 AM
I am so bummed . . . I missed the UD game. Anybody know where I can catch some video from it?

If you have comcast cabel or know someone who does you can rewatch the entire game. If you go to on demand it reply's for free. Just hit the on demand button got to sports and then go to CN8 and it will be there under College Football.

UNH 40
October 2nd, 2006, 07:45 AM
The Santos performance this past weekend was the same type of performance that Vince Young had in last years Rose Bowl. But those of you who saw Santos play for the first or second or even third time this weekend, understand that this game was no aboration week in and week out this is how this young man plays. I have never seen anything like it, he is truely amazing. What sets him apart from everyone else is his competativeness and his poise, those are the two greatest assets a QB can have. He damn well deserve Hiesman consideration, thus far I haven't seen anyone in college football much more impressive than him.

HensRock
October 2nd, 2006, 08:42 AM
You're a fool. You probably saw him from the stands this past saturday and made a guess at his height. I played with him for 2 years and can tell you that he is all of 6'2" and probably even a hair taller.

Well no matter how tall he is, he plays like a man among boys.
The kid is just unbeleivable. That broken play, hook-shot pass for TD was just sick! You sit there thinking, "Man, he just got lucky on that play!". But then he "just gets lucky" again and again and again and again. Until you are finally convinced that he not just getting lucky - he's just that good.

Pard4Life
October 2nd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Have not seen UNH play until Saturday. They were on CN8 in NJ... and let me say.. wow.. what a game. Their offense is so dangerous it is ridiculous... UNH deserves that #1 ranking for sure..

HENJOHN
October 2nd, 2006, 09:27 AM

I stod near him and he looked a legit 6-2 to me. He's also much stronger than maybe he gets credit for. I have seen every UD Home game but one since the 1970 season and I thought Santo's play was the best single game performance I have seen along with Brian Westbrook's 2000 season visit (59-42 Hen win)

Granite
October 2nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
I was at the Dartmouth game last week,and the same thing was happening there-numerous times.I listened to last night's game on local radio,and all I can say is you weren't the only one who noticed that problem.

Same thing vs. Stony Brook. This has definitely been an issue early in the season. Ricky deals with it, but every second or third snap is on the ground, it seems.

wildcat_fan
October 2nd, 2006, 10:44 AM
There is absolutely no excuse for that. The coach should have them out there every practice working on it until it gets resolved.

Gordon Shumway
October 2nd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Matt Dougherty has a nice article on Santos after Saturday night:

While Ball’s accomplishment will ultimately have to wait for at least another week, we all left with a reminder of just how good his quarterback is, and the frightening (for opposing defenses) thought that the signal-caller might just be getting better.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm