PDA

View Full Version : Looking Back, Looking Forward - Lamar Football

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 11:21 AM
There's been a good deal of talk about Lamar bringing back football. The old basketball coach Billy Tubbs who used to split that role with his AD duties is now strictly AD. The feeling is that he can help bring the $$$ in to bring back Lamar football.

As the talk heightens, Bob West of the Port Arthur news put out this column yesterday which was from the May 1985 edition of the Port Arthur news where he bluntly describes how Lamar football was heading south in the mid 1980s. A few years later, Cardinal football ceased to exist.

Interestingly enough, the Lamar faithful post on their message board that them getting rid of football had a direct correlation to the success of McNeese in the 1990s. They also believe that their football program would surpass the other SLC schools in Texas from the get-go.

Oddly enough, from 1980 til 1986, the Lamar Cardinals football team never won more than one game in the SLC with 1985 and 1986 featuring no wins against SLC opposition. The first three years of that time frame, the Cards played five SLC games. The last four, they played six.

From 1984 til 1989, the SHSU was 5-1 against the Cards with the sole loss coming in 1989, the last year of Cardinal football. Throw in the rest of the '80s and the Kats were 5-3 against Lamar (with both additional losses coming during the Kats last two years in Div II). SWT was 5-2 in the 1980s against Lamar. SFA was 4-4 against Lamar.

Combined, the three other Texas schools were 14-7 against Lamar during the 1980s at a time the three other Texas schools began, then were in the midst of their transition from Div II to Div I, then their first years as Div I schools. If the Texas schools had that much success then, I think it would be greater now... :)
============
Apathy toward LU football suggests it’s time to retreat
Best of Bob West column for Friday, September 29, 2006

The Port Arthur News

Editor’s note: The following column from the Best of West collection was first published in the Port Arthur News on May 16, 1985.

By now, it’s become as predictable as Lamar University’s football team being the butt of jokes. The Cardinals, on their way to yet another season when they’ll win at least two games, take the field at home to thousands of empty seats.

It’s Saturday night in Southeast Texas and, as usual, anybody who cares much about football is attending a high school game, a Southwest Conference game or is deciding which televised game to watch. If the weather is nice, the latest ticket give-a-way scheme has been successful, perhaps 5,000 people will wander into Cardinal Stadium.

Notice I didn’t say 5,000 fans, because I’m not sure there’s any such thing as a Lamar football fan. There are those who support Cardinal football out of a sense of obligation or loyalty, but dyed-in-the-wool fans are about as rare as Jefferson County homeowners pleased with their most recent tax appraisal.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_272203522.html

kats89
September 30th, 2006, 01:28 PM
They aren't bringing back football.: smh :

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Your on a different planet from some in the Lamar brass. One of their most active posters said this week, "I see the Billy Franklin attitude is still hanging around here. McNeese is smaller than LU, Lake Charles is smaller than Beaumont. We could support football just like everyone else. We don't need 20-30 million to start a I-AA football at LU. Finally, I think football is 2-3 years away, get that in your head."

They've had quite a few guys saying that for several months, namely since Tubbs stepped down as the AD. I'm having problems believing it. They kept saying back when, it had something to do with the FEMA $$$. Haven't heard much about FEMA and $$$ lately...:confused:

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2006, 08:19 PM
More talk from Lamar's fan base...

They seem very adamant and are now saying there are "reliable" sources who say that football could very well be announced by the start of the new year...

dbackjon
October 6th, 2006, 09:53 AM
More talk from Lamar's fan base...

They seem very adamant and are now saying there are "reliable" sources who say that football could very well be announced by the start of the new year...

That'd be great news - for I-AA football, and the SLC!

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM
That'd be great news - for I-AA football, and the SLC!

Only issue that this move for football comes off as an attempt to try to get to a I-A conference like the C-USA or WAC...

This could end up being a good move for Tarleton St, Delta St or Centenary if schools like Lamar, UTSA and Texas State attempt to make the move up...

Freightliner
October 6th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Your on a different planet from some in the Lamar brass. One of their most active posters said this week, "I see the Billy Franklin attitude is still hanging around here. McNeese is smaller than LU, Lake Charles is smaller than Beaumont. We could support football just like everyone else. We don't need 20-30 million to start a I-AA football at LU. Finally, I think football is 2-3 years away, get that in your head."

They've had quite a few guys saying that for several months, namely since Tubbs stepped down as the AD. I'm having problems believing it. They kept saying back when, it had something to do with the FEMA $$$. Haven't heard much about FEMA and $$$ lately...:confused:

LOL...those idiots on that board have NO CLUE.

Refurbishing that wreck (Cardinal Stadium/Higgins Fieldhouse/practice fields) is gonna take a LOT of money.

Then to find office space for the coaching staff (Football Coaches offices in the Montange Center were renovated to other athletic offices) is gonna cost some more money...

But...if they wanna try it...go ahead....give it a shot....they will get no mercy from teams in the SLC.

When did Tubbs step down as AD?? I remember him stepping down as Hoops coach to concentrate on being the AD.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2006, 06:18 AM
When did Tubbs step down as AD?? I remember him stepping down as Hoops coach to concentrate on being the AD.

That's what I meant, since he stepped down as BKB HC...

Lamar faithful are so anti-I-AA, it's crazy. I don't think they have anything positive to say about the division and think they are more deservant of a C-USA spot than half the schools in the conference...

Of course, they are the same people who think they have something special with their BKB program year-in and year-out only to have a program that succumbs to the power programs of the conference yearly. It's one thing to have the best team on 'paper' each year, but they sure as heck don't have the best team on the floor...

McTailGator
October 7th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Interestingly enough, the Lamar faithful post on their message board that them getting rid of football had a direct correlation to the success of McNeese in the 1990s. They also believe that their football program would surpass the other SLC schools in Texas from the get-go.

Oddly enough, from 1980 til 1986, the Lamar Cardinals football team never won more than one game in the SLC with 1985 and 1986 featuring no wins against SLC opposition. The first three years of that time frame, the Cards played five SLC games. The last four, they played six.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_272203522.html

LOL...

How do they account for McNeese success in the 60's and 70's?

McNeese went to 3 Independance Bowls from 76 to 1980, when we were I-A and Lamar was still in the SLC playing FB...

We never had trouble recruiting against them from the 1950's until they ended football in the 80's. RC Slocum (McNeese Alumn) was from Orange Tx, and we got MANY others from SE tx while they played football. It's a huge population with zero college football. They have MORE than enough atheltes to choose from, just like the NE La. We're still getting players from there too.

Sometimes kids just want to go away to college. And when SE Tx kids see McNeese bring in 12,000 fans to beaumont (<1 hour from LC) and out number their fans, then they will more than likely perfer to come play in Lake Charles where our fan support has been pretty good over the years.

I hope they bring back football.

It will be good for both schools.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2006, 06:00 PM
How do they account for McNeese success in the 60's and 70's?

McNeese went to 3 Independance Bowls from 76 to 1980, when we were I-A and Lamar was still in the SLC playing FB...

We never had trouble recruiting against them from the 1950's until they ended football in the 80's. RC Slocum (McNeese Alumn) was from Orange Tx, and we got MANY others from SE tx while they played football. It's a huge population with zero college football. They have MORE than enough atheltes to choose from, just like the NE La. We're still getting players from there too.

The Lamar faithful would probably deny everything you say...

They are the most obnoxious when it comes to basketball. This coming from a program that ranks 7th in the SLC regular season (W/L percentage) since 1999...

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
AgentOrange on KatFans.com found this nugget...

According to this web site of stupid laws, in Beaumont, college football is banned. Of course, didn't Texas Southern and another SWAC team play a Classic game in Beaumont? I vaguely remember something like that. Granted it's Lamar, not Beaumont...but seriously...

Collegiate football is banned at Lamar University. (Beaumont)

http://www.bitoffun.com/stupid_laws_Texas.htm

Freightliner
January 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
AgentOrange on KatFans.com found this nugget...

According to this web site of stupid laws, in Beaumont, college football is banned. Of course, didn't Texas Southern and another SWAC team play a Classic game in Beaumont? I vaguely remember something like that. Granted it's Lamar, not Beaumont...but seriously...

Collegiate football is banned at Lamar University. (Beaumont)

http://www.bitoffun.com/stupid_laws_Texas.htm

I'd ban football at Lamar too...:rolleyes:

I wonder if that nugget is referrign to that fight between Southern and PV's bands at halftime in Beaumont in 98.

Link to story
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/1998/09/21/bands_suspended/

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
I wonder if that nugget is referrign to that fight between Southern and PV's bands at halftime in Beaumont in 98.

Link to story
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/1998/09/21/bands_suspended/

That's what it was...

Knew it was like the Big Cat Classic and featured teams from the SWAC, though I thought it was Texas Southern.

Hmmm...wonder if that has something to do with the ban of collegiate football at Lamar...:read:

NoCoDanny
January 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
Whenever I hear about this school I think of this guy:

http://photos.killervirgo.com/lamar-ROTN.jpg

Freightliner
January 23rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
Whenever I hear about this school I think of this guy:

http://photos.killervirgo.com/lamar-ROTN.jpg

LOL

I still get a chance now and then to visit with some of the Lamar players from the 1989 season. One of them (John Evans - QB) is the front man of a rockabilly band. (www.johnevansband.net).

Rumor has it that a reunion of the 1989 squad was being organized - but I havent heard anything of it.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Now the moderator of the Lamar fans board is saying...

Someone well connected to Lamar University said, "from Dr Simmons, it isn't a matter of if the football program will be renewed. It is a matter of when."

Dr Simmons is the university President. Time will tell. Not sure how successful LU can be at the FCS level. I do not believe they could be successful at the FBS level until they prove successful at the FCS level, something they did not do when they were I-AA members before...

TexasTerror
February 4th, 2007, 08:50 PM
From the good ole Lamar faithful "in the know", abovetherim3 of Lamar's fan board...

I've had several discussions with people about this topic. Lamar is committed to bringing back the sport. Expect a formal announcement some time in the spring or early summer. The process is further along than most people are aware. There have been discussions with a coach who is quoted as saying he would "love the challenge of building a program" and also mentioned "I see no reason Lamar University can't have a successful football program with the amount of talent within a 100 mile radius of Beaumont".

This coach played major college football for a Big 12 conference team, was a assistant coach for several seasons in the SEC.

The Head Coach will be hired a full year before Lamar plays their first football game. He will then put together a coaching staff, work on scheduling and the recruitment of players. That being said, expect the first class of players to be heavy with JC transfers, transfers from FBS schools, HS freshman who will red-shirt a season and then add another class before the first game is played.

The administration from what I'm told is committed to having the best facilities in the SLC so that would tell me a major renovation is in store for Cardinal Stadium and the field house or a new stadium and athletics facilities will be begun in the near future.

I am sure this all will happen by the 2010 season. It is a lot of work to happen in 3 years but I believe in the current administration can make it happen.

There are reasons a public announcement by the university has not been made at the present time but I'm not a liberty to discuss those issues nor do I fully understand them.

patssle
February 4th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I hear from the fans they have the best recruiting class in the SLC already

TexasTerror
February 4th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Lamar's Cardinal Stadium (circa 2005)...

Sits 17,500 apparently and built in 1964. Lamar would need to enhance the facility...which I think are part of plans related to LU soccer, which starts this coming year. They could easily be a threat in soccer to win the SLC similar to new upstart UTSA last...

http://www.texasbob.com/football/images/tbhs_lamar.jpg

Bearkatpresident
February 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Ladies and Gentleman of the AGS Nation, May I present to you Texas Senate Bill #161 by Senator Wentworth.

Wanna know why football talk at Lamar is up right now? Because the bill, in it's current form, slaps a big time fee on students while still allowing the athletic departments to take half of student service fees.

The desire for football is there, but in the end, it's all about the money. And with Lamar being able to double-dip that speeds up the process.

Think that school in Southwest Texas doesn't have a shot at the BCS? Just think what they could do if they started double dipping. Their ASG threatened to cut thier funding if they didn't start taking steps to move it up. After all, they're the ones that suggested the athletic fee. Now they're trying to alter the bill so the fee is under the control of a committee with a student majority.

It's better for Sam if we're on board with it too. (the bill at least). There are no plans to actaully start an athletic fee here, but to remain competitve we'd ethier have to alter the bill to outlaw double-dipping or slap on a new fee. That's why the bill is for all TSUS schools and not just TSU3. Orginally they just wanted it for TSU3, but then Lamar wanted it too. To make things fair, all schools would have the ability to implement the new fee. (Once it passes a student referendum)

If called to testify, I'm going to ask to stop the double-dipping. I can live with a 10 dollar increase (that's what our tuition increase was because of the State's budget cuts), but can't support a possible 80 dollar athletic fee in addition to our student service fee.

TexasTerror
February 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Ladies and Gentleman of the ASG Nation, May I present to you Texas Senate Bill #161 by Senator Wentworth.

Wanna know why football talk at Lamar is up right now? Because the bill, in it's current form, slaps a big time fee on students while still allowing the athletic departments to take half of student service fees.

The desire for football is there, but in the end, it's all about the money. And with Lamar being able to double-dip that speeds up the process.

Think that school in Southwest Texas doesn't have a shot at the BCS? Just think what they could do if they started double dipping. Their ASG threatened to cut thier funding if they didn't start taking steps to move it up. After all, they're the ones that suggested the athletic fee. Now they're trying to alter the bill so the fee is under the control of a committee with a student majority.

It's better for Sam if we're on board with it too. (the bill at least). There are no plans to actaully start an athletic fee here, but to remain competitve we'd ethier have to alter the bill to outlaw double-dipping or slap on a new fee. That's why the bill is for all TSUS schools and not just TSU3. Orginally they just wanted it for TSU3, but then Lamar wanted it too. To make things fair, all schools would have the ability to implement the new fee. (Once it passes a student referendum)

If called to testify, I'm going to ask to stop the double-dipping. I can live with a 10 dollar increase (that's what our tuition increase was because of the State's budget cuts), but can't support a possible 80 dollar athletic fee in addition to our student service fee.

It amazes me that the Associated Student Government at Texas State - San Marcos is a proponent of a bill that would double-dip into the students' wallets. Granted, I know that ASG President Kyle V Morris and company are interested in amendments, but why did they not stop Sen Wentworth from filing this abomination of a bill?

It's not good PR from the ASG side of things, regardless of their track record of public relations (especially after the MAP fiasco). A bit surprising if you ask me. We'll see what happens in Austin. Never been a big fan of double-dipping, whether it was in my pocket or in my chile con queso!

Bearkatpresident
February 5th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I should say something slightly positive though.

Historicly speaking, Sam Houston and M. Lamar were bigger rivals than Stephen F. Austin. It was M. Lamar that moved the capitol from Houston to Austin. The rivally between SHSU and SFA is not only historic, it's also natural.

If Lamar does get football, I fully expect the rivally to increase to greater levels. So, in the spirit of history and good old fashioned college rivalry, let me proclaim the following:

I can't wait for Lamar to bring back football so the Bearkats can have one more sport to dominate them in! Come on little birdies, Sammy's hungry!

TexasTerror
February 5th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Lamar fan is not a TexasTerror fan apparently...

As one poster posted on their board, "A man wiser than me stated the best discussions about Lamar athletics occur here. I don't care what TexasTerror or any other SHSU (Prisonville U) alumni, student, fans or supporter has to say. They are the FCS football experts or so they think. It is pretty obnoxious to be a alumni of another school and claim to know everything about what is going on at Lamar University."

FCS football at Lamar may very well end up being a good thing. We have a good fan "friendly" rivalry with them in basketball as is. The Southeast Texas football loving fanatics that exist in the Golden Triangle would really make a Lamar-SHSU football rivalry really enjoyable!

EAT'EM UP KATS!

TexasTerror
July 17th, 2010, 07:15 AM

Always funny to rehash old threads...

A Lamar fan referenced this post and sure enough, there was some doubt about football at Lamar (though I'm still questioning the legality based on that one web site with crazy laws!), so maybe there's reason to still doubt it. ;)

DFW HOYA
July 17th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Historicly speaking, Sam Houston and M. Lamar were bigger rivals than Stephen F. Austin. It was M. Lamar that moved the capitol from Houston to Austin. The rivally between SHSU and SFA is not only historic, it's also natural.

Houston was never the state capital. There have been only two capitals: Washington-on-the-Brazos and Austin.

bigred360
July 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Always funny to rehash old threads...

A Lamar fan referenced this post and sure enough, there was some doubt about football at Lamar (though I'm still questioning the legality based on that one web site with crazy laws!), so maybe there's reason to still doubt it. ;)

That is a pretty funny site regarding state laws but I think Lamar is good to go on the gridiron in 2010. Nice site here and glad to join. Maybe this Lamar alum will learn a few things about FCS football from all you guys.