PDA

View Full Version : Can Chuck South Run the Table?

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Not the most impressive schedule for Bucs from Chuck South. Four games against sub-Div I competition (Presbyterian, Wingate, North Greenville and Edward Waters). However, they could get seven Div I wins if they were to run the table, all the way through those last two games at Liberty and the big rivalry game against CCU.

Sat, Sep 2 at Presbyterian W 21-13 --
Sat, Sep 9 at Citadel W 38-35 --
Sat, Sep 16 Wingate W 20-17 --
Sat, Sep 30 North Greenville 1:30 pm --
Sat, Oct 7 at Savannah State 6:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 14 Edward Waters 1:30 pm --
Sat, Oct 21 Virginia Military 1:30 pm --
Sat, Oct 28 Georgetown 1:30 pm --
Sat, Nov 4 Gardner-Webb 1:30 pm --
Sat, Nov 11 at Liberty 1:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 18 at Coastal Carolina 1:30 pm --

Would you place an 11-0 Chuck South program into the I-AA playoffs? My answer at this point would be no. I do not think the Big South schools have taken advantage of the OOC games they've played to this point. If there were two less sub-Div I games, I think you'd have to place them in, though they could very well be over their heads (ala Hampton in 2005)...

UNHWildCats
September 30th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Not the most impressive schedule for Bucs from Chuck South. Four games against sub-Div I competition (Presbyterian, Wingate, North Greenville and Edward Waters). However, they could get seven Div I wins if they were to run the table, all the way through those last two games at Liberty and the big rivalry game against CCU.

Would you place an 11-0 Chuck South program into the I-AA playoffs? My answer at this point would be no. I do not think the Big South schools have taken advantage of the OOC games they've played to this point. If there were two less sub-Div I games, I think you'd have to place them in, though they could very well be over their heads (ala Hampton in 2005)...

HELL NO!

bodoyle
September 30th, 2006, 11:39 AM
I do not think the Big South schools have taken advantage of the OOC games they've played to this point.

Who else would you like CCU to play other then ga south, furman, wofford, sc state to improve our OOC schedule? xidiotx

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Who else would you like CCU to play other then ga south, furman, wofford, sc state to improve our OOC schedule? xidiotx

My remark was in reference to the Big South's success in OOC...there's not much of it. Liberty may be 3-1, but the only Div I win was Savannah St. Two of Chuck South's wins are sub-Div I. CCU needed to snatch one from Elon or GA Southern. G-Webb started off good and then got it handed to them in the next two, we'll see what happens against SELA and VMI is VMI...

Yes, CCU has had the best OOC slate in the conference, but they have not taken advantage of it by winning games...2-2 isn't going to help when the playoff chatter comes around...especially when the rest of the Big South has been stinking it up OOC or playing sub-Div I foes (namely with Chuck South)...

rokamortis
September 30th, 2006, 12:33 PM
As far as Chuck South goes - no they don't deserve in the playoffs at 11-0. Can they run the table? Sure - but I know that CCU and the other Big South schools will not make it easy for them.

Concerning Coastal - CCU has been up and down but against, from what we can tell now, decent competition. We won't really know how good/bad the GSU and Elon losses are until closer to the end of the season. Right now Coastal only has one shot to make the playoffs and that is winning out. Even then we are not guaranteed a spot - and one of the wins would have to be against Furman which would be a minor miracle itself.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I bet you CCU fans would love nothing more than to stop an 11-0 season for your big rivals, Chuck South...of course, the game will probably determine the Big South title as is...

IaaScribe
September 30th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I think CSU will go 1-3 in the Big South.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I think CSU will go 1-3 in the Big South.

Who is that one win against? Liberty or VMI? :read:

Sly Fox
September 30th, 2006, 01:30 PM
VMI is by far the weakest team in the Big South right now.

And CSU has their hands full right now with North Greenville.

ccujacket
September 30th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I bet you CCU fans would love nothing more than to stop an 11-0 season for your big rivals, Chuck South...of course, the game will probably determine the Big South title as is...
CSU is not a big rival. Our only 'big rival' doesn't participate in football.

IaaScribe
September 30th, 2006, 01:42 PM
CSU losing to North Greenville 10-6 at halftime. Don't worry, Jay Mills will do a great job of selling how good mighty North Greenville is, though.

Sly Fox
September 30th, 2006, 01:45 PM
If the Bucs can't beat North Greenville, they may not be able to stand a chance against the Keydets.

This is embarassing for the entire Big South.

rokamortis
September 30th, 2006, 02:13 PM
CSU up 13-10 in the 3rd

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Any word if Chuck South is going to have a tougher schedule down the road?

Why are they playing so few I-AA games as is? With everyone bunched together on the east coast, can't they get a few more?

rokamortis
September 30th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Why are they playing so few I-AA games as is? With everyone bunched together on the east coast, can't they get a few more?

They wanted to win a few games. But now is the time to upgrade.

CSU BUCS
September 30th, 2006, 04:21 PM

We will begin a 4 year home and home contract with Wofford starting next year. Florida is on the slate for 2009.

The goal is to play one 1A game per year, one d-2/North Greenville every year. North Greenville because of both schools link to the South Carolina Baptist Association. and to have the rest of the OOC games between SOCON and A-10 schools.

The goal is to continuing upgrading the schedule. We picked up Edwards Watters this year because Howard backed out on us. (I don't know the details)

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 04:34 PM
The goal is to continuing upgrading the schedule. We picked up Edwards Watters this year because Howard backed out on us. (I don't know the details)

Howard would have a walk in the park for the Bucs...

Then again, considering the struggle against North Greenville, maybe not. It would have been an I-A foe...

Glad to see you guys got Wofford coming in and best of luck on bringing more quality I-AA foes to your schedule...

chantman
October 2nd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Another close game with a D-II team.xlolx

bluehenbillk
October 2nd, 2006, 09:16 AM
Schedule isn't tough enough to merit a bid even if they went 11-0.

GannonFan
October 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Agreed, no playoff if they go 11-0. It's a shame they didn't look at the Coastal example last year of how to have a shot at the playoffs. OOC they are just not taking advantage of the opportunity to play some quality teams and unfortunately, that will cost them even if they manage to go 11-0. Coastal had 4 quality OOC opponents last year and beat 3 of them. These guys have 1 quality OOC opponent. Just ain't gonna get it done.

OL FU
October 2nd, 2006, 09:24 AM
Gardner Webb is going to take them down:D :thumbsup:

MarkCCU
October 2nd, 2006, 09:27 AM
CSU is really in their 1st year..of being worth the time to watch. Where they will only get better, you are all right in sayingf that even the perfect season won't get them a playoff bid. The schedule isn't beefed up enough, and rightfully so. Mills should ease the team into playing the bigger schools and not pull a Citadel(throw them the dogs of Texas A&M and Pitt). give the players some time, those losses, as we know, do play in your mind when you meet the team next

89Hen
October 2nd, 2006, 09:39 AM
Would you place an 11-0 Chuck South program into the I-AA playoffs?
NO. For one, they won't have enough DI wins... Presbyterian, Wingate, North Greenville, Edward Waters and their other two OOC games of Savannah State, Georgetown are not playoff worthy.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2006, 09:49 AM
NO. For one, they won't have enough DI wins... Presbyterian, Wingate, North Greenville, Edward Waters and their other two OOC games of Savannah State, Georgetown are not playoff worthy.

Savannah St and G'Town do count as Div I wins regardless of "worth"...they've had seven Div I wins if they win out as they only have four sub-Div I games, the rest (seven) are Div I games...

CSU BUCS
October 2nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
CSU is really in their 1st year..of being worth the time to watch. Where they will only get better, you are all right in sayingf that even the perfect season won't get them a playoff bid. The schedule isn't beefed up enough, and rightfully so. Mills should ease the team into playing the bigger schools and not pull a Citadel(throw them the dogs of Texas A&M and Pitt). give the players some time, those losses, as we know, do play in your mind when you meet the team next
We are building, wining and loosing are both habits. It is best to build a winning habit now rather than being thrown to the dogs. Also schedule upgrades takes time. Wining, no matter who it is against, builds confidence. Yes we have been playing football for 15 years but in reality we are a 4th year program.

rokamortis
October 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
We are building, wining and loosing are both habits. It is best to build a winning habit now rather than being thrown to the dogs. Also schedule upgrades takes time. Wining, no matter who it is against, builds confidence. Yes we have been playing football for 15 years but in reality we are a 4th year program.

Coastal is a true 4 year program.

89Hen
October 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
Savannah St and G'Town do count as Div I wins regardless of "worth"...they've had seven Div I wins if they win out as they only have four sub-Div I games, the rest (seven) are Div I games...
I know they count, that's why I separated them out. However the Committee would view Chuck as 7-0 with no wins over a ranked team. They will lose out to 8 win teams all day long.

Linehawg
October 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
I think a wise person would do well to wait until conference play in the Big South actually starts before declaring winners and losers. I don't think any team in the Big South has the opening salvo that VMI has had or would have done much better. Until there are some like foes and comparative competition, we all start even. Anything beyond that is analysis via anal extraction.

MarkCCU
October 2nd, 2006, 02:35 PM

yEAH, like i said, don't pull a Citadel... build your program and the players up to the next level, don't sacrifice for money.

SuperJon
October 2nd, 2006, 02:35 PM
CSU had a ton of trouble with every team they've played this year. Once they play a legit D-I team I think we'll see them struggle even more. They might start out 8-0 but their final record will be 8-3.

Dabnus Brickey
October 2nd, 2006, 03:01 PM
I don't remember who said it earlier, but in my mind CSU is the rival. Because of last year our conference was put back a few years in its development. Now...I refer to the rematch at CCU as "Reckoning Day." I live in Charleston and have to hear about how good CSU is, yes, there are people who think that CSU is a playoff contender down here and I have to hear about it all the time.

Coastal89
October 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM
Coastal is a true 4 year program.
Come on now Rok, using his logic we're only a second year program since the first two weren't fully funded.

CSU BUCS
October 2nd, 2006, 03:34 PM
Come on now Rok, using his logic we're only a second year program since the first two weren't fully funded.
Adding 30 plus scholarships makes a difference. That’s all I’m saying.

CSU BUCS
October 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
CSU had a ton of trouble with every team they've played this year. Once they play a legit D-I team I think we'll see them struggle even more. They might start out 8-0 but their final record will be 8-3.
Maybe you’re right? But one thing is for sure. We are building.. We were better in 04 than we were in 03, 05 was better than 04 and this years team is the best we have had to date. Does that mean we’re a powerhouse? No it does not, but I think we are on our way to building a very good football program a Charleston Southern. Are we there yet? NO. Are we closer? You bet, Closer than we’ve ever been and still gaining ground.
I’m not on here trying to spread propaganda, just trying to let people know what’s going on at Charleston Southern. You guys can hate all you want. I truly believe, by the evidence and commitment presented before me, that we are at the point of something special. It’s not something built overnight.

SuperJon
October 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
I'm not saying you guys aren't getting better. If that came across, sorry. I just think it's a very strong possibility CSU goes 2-2 or 1-3 in the Big South.

October 2nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
I'm not saying you guys aren't getting better. If that came across, sorry. I just think it's a very strong possibility CSU goes 2-2 or 1-3 in the Big South.Yeah, it sounded smackish. Why do you say "I just think it's a very strong possibility CSU goes 2-2 or 1-3 in the Big South"?

Mr. C
October 2nd, 2006, 10:24 PM
From what I've seen of the Big South, it should be a competitive league this year. I think CCU, CSU and GWU are all pretty close, so I don't think it would be a big surprise if the Bucs lost at least one game.

Even at 11-0, CSU's schedule does not warrant playoff consideration. But that being said, the Bucs have some top-notch talent. Collin Drafts is one of the top half-dozen or so QBs in I-AA and Maurice Price is one of the best receivers on anyone's team. Jada Ross and those other LBs are very good, too.

Sly Fox
October 2nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Yeah those guys really showed how terrific they were eking out that come from behind victory against mighty North Greenville. :rolleyes:

Seriously, nobody has any idea how good CSU may be. But they have been less than impressive against horrendous competition so far.

And by the way, Mr C ... there are Big South teams beyond the Carolinas. :thumbsup:

SuperJon
October 2nd, 2006, 11:30 PM
Why do you say "I just think it's a very strong possibility CSU goes 2-2 or 1-3 in the Big South"?

I feel that Coastal will beat CSU. I also think CSU will lose to either Gardner-Webb or Liberty, if not both. While CSU has been playing DII's close, Liberty has played Towson extremely close and made a very respectable showing at Wake Forest.

Charleston Southern has given up an average of 13 points per game against sub-DI teams. Liberty has given up an average of 3.5 points against sub-DI teams, and an average of 2.3 points per game if you add in SSU. We can revisit CSU's numbers after they play SSU and add them in. In these same games, CSU is average 20.3 points per game. Liberty is averaging 29 in games against sub DI, 28.6 if you add in SSU.

At 4-0, CSU is winning at an average of 24.75 - 18.75.
At 3-2, Liberty is averaging a score of 20.6 - 10.2.

Until CSU proves themselves against a decent team, I will have to think that CCU, LU, and possibly G-W will beat them. The thing is, they don't play a decent team until they play G-W. Proving yourself doesn't have to be a win. A 10-3 loss to the #19 ranked team in the country after getting blown out the year before is proving yourself. A 34-14 loss against a 4-0 ACC opponent after losing 63-0 to a I-A school the year before is proving yourself. If CSU wouldn't have blown the lead against El Cid, I would have a somewhat different opinion on this.

Mr. C
October 2nd, 2006, 11:48 PM
I wouldn't put too much faith into that 34-14 loss to Wake Forest. The Demonized Deacons might be 4-0, but they are not really a very good team. The ACC is proving to be a very poor BCS league and Wake Forest has played a very weak schedule thus far. The Deacs are VERY fortunate to not have a couple of losses already.

The Gadfly
October 3rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
CSU is not a big rival. Our only 'big rival' doesn't participate in football.

SOOOOOO very true my friend. GO WRECK!

CSU will lose to G-Dubb and Coastal.

SuperJon
October 3rd, 2006, 08:57 AM
Mr. C, that may be the case, but a 34-14 loss to any I-A team is good for a I-AA team that isn't in that "elite" category, especially after getting beat 63-0 by a I-A the year before.

IaaScribe
October 3rd, 2006, 10:07 AM
SJ ... it was 59-0, but that's picking nits.

Mr. C ... The ACC is surely down, but Wake's a little better than you're giving them credit for. Georgia needed a second half comeback to beat the same Ole Miss team Wake dominated. The win at Connecticut was solid. The squeaker over Duke was certainly one that was had folks scratching their heads.

That defense was pretty stout ... I think Clemson will beat Wake, but it's going to be a bit tighter than some think.

SuperJon
October 3rd, 2006, 10:49 AM
Sorry, I knew I'd get the score wrong but it'd be close.

I don't think anyone outside of Lynchburg is giving LU any credit.

IaaScribe
October 3rd, 2006, 10:54 AM
They'll certainly get an opportunity to prove themselves against William & Mary in two weeks. That's a big game for the LU program, even if W&M is a bit down right now.

MarkCCU
October 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM
SOOOOOO very true my friend. GO WRECK!

CSU will lose to G-Dubb and Coastal.

Who y'all talkin about? THe ramblin Wreck?

OLDLCOACH111
October 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror]Not the most impressive schedule for Bucs from Chuck South. Four games against sub-Div I competition (Presbyterian, Wingate, North Greenville and Edward Waters). However, they could get seven Div I wins if they were to run the table, all the way through those last two games at Liberty and the big rivalry game against CCU.

QUOTE]
All I have to say is that is one of the weakest non conference schedules I have seen in a while. Once Chuck south gets to conference, the winning stops fast!! I do not see them getting past CCU or GWU

Mr. C
October 3rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
SJ ... it was 59-0, but that's picking nits.

Mr. C ... The ACC is surely down, but Wake's a little better than you're giving them credit for. Georgia needed a second half comeback to beat the same Ole Miss team Wake dominated. The win at Connecticut was solid. The squeaker over Duke was certainly one that was had folks scratching their heads.

That defense was pretty stout ... I think Clemson will beat Wake, but it's going to be a bit tighter than some think.
Sorry, but I was listening to the UConn game driving to my game that day and even the Wake announcers were not impressed with the Deacs, though they finally pulled the game out. It was a very poor offensive game by both teams for most of the way. Wake was truly awful against Duke. Being an hour and a half away from Winston-Salem, we know plenty about Wake.

Clemson will kill Wake Forest, IMO.

Sly Fox
October 4th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Being an hour and a half away from Winston-Salem, we know plenty about Wake.

Why? Do they play Appy? :smiley_wi

Seriously look back over the past two years and show me the quality wins for CSU other than the CCU victory that upon further observation was more of a Bennett loss than anything. Its great to see them finally beating the DIIs that were pounding them up until recently. But conference play after VMI is going to be a big eye opener for the Bucs.

PAmedic
October 5th, 2006, 07:54 AM
CSU will NOT run the table, they WILL lose to CCU and LU.

I understand the skepticism surrounding Liberty FB, but those of us that follow the program like only home fans can are very much aware of how incredibly improved this program is, both mentally and physically. I'm certain that in several weeks we won't be sold so short.

And CCU's history speaks for itself- though streaky, they have a solid program over there.

IaaScribe
October 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM
And Coastal's Tyler Thigpen is one freaking good QB ... wasn't impressed with him last year, but apparently he's developed by leaps and bounds.

MarkCCU
October 5th, 2006, 11:39 AM
And Coastal's Tyler Thigpen is one freaking good QB ... wasn't impressed with him last year, but apparently he's developed by leaps and bounds.

that he has!

IaaScribe
October 7th, 2006, 01:16 PM
FWIW, Wake is dominating Clemson ... forcing turnovers and holding the Tigers to three points.

IaaScribe
October 7th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Oops. Spoke too soon.

CSU BUCS
October 8th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I feel that Coastal will beat CSU. I also think CSU will lose to either Gardner-Webb or Liberty, if not both. While CSU has been playing DII's close, Liberty has played Towson extremely close and made a very respectable showing at Wake Forest.

Charleston Southern has given up an average of 13 points per game against sub-DI teams. Liberty has given up an average of 3.5 points against sub-DI teams, and an average of 2.3 points per game if you add in SSU. We can revisit CSU's numbers after they play SSU and add them in. In these same games, CSU is average 20.3 points per game. Liberty is averaging 29 in games against sub DI, 28.6 if you add in SSU.

At 4-0, CSU is winning at an average of 24.75 - 18.75.
At 3-2, Liberty is averaging a score of 20.6 - 10.2.

Until CSU proves themselves against a decent team, I will have to think that CCU, LU, and possibly G-W will beat them. The thing is, they don't play a decent team until they play G-W. Proving yourself doesn't have to be a win. A 10-3 loss to the #19 ranked team in the country after getting blown out the year before is proving yourself. A 34-14 loss against a 4-0 ACC opponent after losing 63-0 to a I-A school the year before is proving yourself. If CSU wouldn't have blown the lead against El Cid, I would have a somewhat different opinion on this.

Lets Compare common foes.......

LIBERTY SSU
FIRST DOWNS................... 17 18
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 33-296 42-116 Liberty O Wins
PASSING YDS (NET)............. 120 168
Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 19-8-0 25-15-2
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 52-416 67-284
Punt Returns-Yards............ 2-17 3-44
Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 1-2 5-95
Punts (Number-Avg)............ 5-36.8 4-32.0
Penalties-Yards............... 7-57 9-85 Liberty Wins
Possession Time............... 26:04 33:56