PDA

View Full Version : BC-Maine

ccd494
September 30th, 2006, 10:27 AM
It says the BC-Maine game at 1:00 is supposed to be on ESPN 360.

I went to that website, I dont see it listed anywhere. I am an ESPN Insider, do I need anything else to watch it? Will it just appear at 1:00?

Anyone ever used this before?

ccd494
September 30th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Answering my own question, you only get it if your ISP is signed up for it. And surprise surprise, Time Warner is not. These guys have done nothing but **** over their customers since they took over Adelphia. Raised rates, took away the NFL Network, required you to lease a modem from them even if you already own one from Adelphia.

Bunch of pricks.

MaineFan
September 30th, 2006, 12:45 PM
BC 3
Maine 0

early 2nd

maine with two costly turnovers.

UNHWildCats
September 30th, 2006, 12:46 PM
ya Time Warner and Cablevision suck a$$

MaineFan
September 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM
maine stops BC on downs!

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 12:48 PM
maine with two costly turnovers.

Good 3rd down efficiency by Maine thus far in terms of defense. BC is 1/4 thus far. Keep up that ratio and you'll be fine...

To be down by less than a TD with two turnovers is a good sign. Just remember, the I-AA teams have knocked of I-As in large part due to turnovers. You forced one already, keep'em coming! Avoid those penalties...

I-AA nation is behind you guys! :bow:

MaineFan
September 30th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Maine shoots themselves in the foot again with a bad snap on a punt...BC gets a safety 5-0 Eagles.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 01:03 PM
12-0 Boston College...

What's going on? Haven't been paying attention...

FlyYtown
September 30th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Maine keeping it close. Great news for a team that runs to the line of scrimmage and calls plays that way. How they are doing it at BC is beyond me. They got a very strong offense and I hope they can get on the board.

Go Maine!

MaineFan
September 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM
ANOTHER TURNOVER BY MAINE! deep in BC territory

MaineFan
September 30th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Boston College 15
Maine 0

1:54 left in the half.

BC has scored all 15 points off maine turnovers.

MaineFan
September 30th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Boston College 15
Maine 0
Halftime

MaineFan
September 30th, 2006, 02:08 PM
BC scores a 2 yard td.

Boston College 22
Maine 0
3:14 left in 3rd

MaineFan
September 30th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Boston College 22
Maine 0
Final

mainejeff
October 1st, 2006, 12:21 AM
Went to the game.....left at halftime with Maine trailing 15-0.

Whitcomb has to be the worst 4 year starter at QB in the country.

The Maine AD really needs to examine the Cosgrove situation (along with longtime associate Bob Wilder) after this season......the coaching and play calling on offense was horrendous.....the execution even worse.

And if I see one more damn penalty flag on Maine for something stupid I'm gonna lose it :bang: :bang: :bang: :mad:.......going on 4 years now of this B.S.

The Maine D played well in the 1st half......very physical and speedy. Don't know how well that they played in the 2nd half since I wasn't there.

Enjoyed the rest of the afternoon touring the sites in Boston.......made me much happier than watching the ineptitude on the field and sidelines.

Tod
October 1st, 2006, 12:23 AM
Went to the game.....left at halftime with Maine trailing 15-0.

Whitcomb has to be the worst 4 year starter at QB in the country.

The Maine AD really needs to examine the Cosgrove situation (along with longtime associate Bob Wilder) after this season......the coaching and play calling on offense was horrendous.....the execution even worse.

And if I see one more damn penalty flag on Maine for something stupid I'm gonna lose it :bang: :bang: :bang: :mad:.......going on 4 years now of this B.S.

The Maine D played well in the 1st half......very physical and speedy. Don't know how well that they played in the 2nd half since I wasn't there.

Enjoyed the rest of the afternoon touring the sites in Boston.......made me much happier than watching the ineptitude on the field and sidelines.

MJ, you left at halftime, down by 15? I'm guessing you had family members, i.e., other plans? :eyebrow:

mainejeff
October 1st, 2006, 12:44 AM
MJ, you left at halftime, down by 15? I'm guessing you had family members, i.e., other plans? :eyebrow:

I was with someone who had never been to Boston but you're not getting my point......it wasn't the score, it was the continuation of just horrible coaching, offensive execution and no team discipline. I'm sick and tired of it, and I've made a promise to myself that I am done attending Maine football games in person until Jack Cosgrove is no longer coaching this program.....I'm dead serious.

GannonFan
October 1st, 2006, 12:48 AM
I agree with MJ - the inability of Maine to rein in the discipline stuff, especially the on the field stuff, is kinda telling after all these years. Cosgrove gets a lot of credit for bringing in talent to Orono and making Maine a competitive team year in and year out, but he has to take most of the blame for not having a team that plays smart.

ccd494
October 1st, 2006, 09:50 AM
It is incredibly frustrating. Who calls a QB sneak twice in a row at midfield on first and ten and second and nine?

Maine has been the most penalized team in the A-10 for a few years in a row...

But we all know the job is Cosgrove's as long as he wants it.

mainejeff
October 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM
When attendance in Orono starts dwindling to 2,000ish level then maybe the AD will realise that the fans aren't buying this trash anymore either. We're already down to about 4,500 for the home opener which is a drop from about 6,000 a couple of years ago and about 8,000 about 5 years ago........anyone else notice a trend?

PapaBear
October 1st, 2006, 03:02 PM
Just for the record, MJ, the 4500 attendance at this year's home opener vs Shaw was in a driving rainstorm. Based on the tailgating population in both lots, I bet there would have been 6K-plus in the stands, had the weather been even remotely cooperative. It was downright ugly. You had to be pretty hardcore to sit thru it.

I was at BC, too, and stayed for the whole game. Sorry to hear your reaction was so negative. No question that penalties hurt the Black Bears, but no more than they hurt BC. As for playcalling ... with all due respect ... I have yet to meet a fan who didn't think he knew more about offense than the head coach and OC. Although there are a few plays here and there that I might have called differently, no one in the stands had access to the BC gamefilms or pressbox spotting that Coach Cos and Coach Wilder had access to.

I kind of like the new spread scheme they're using. I'm not sure Whitcomb is perfectly suited to it, but he's athletic enough to be a running threat.

You didn't mention the great play of UMaine's secondary, which limited the BC QB to a lower completion percentage than Whitcomb had, and which gave up only one long pass play all day -- a 30-yarder off of a scramble.

With all of that said, I think Maine could have beaten BC had our first scoring threat -- a long run to inside the 5 -- not been taking away by :flagged: :flagged: by :bang: :bang: :bang: a penalty. That could have changed the complexion of the game.

mainejeff
October 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM
Just for the record, MJ, the 4500 attendance at this year's home opener vs Shaw was in a driving rainstorm. Based on the tailgating population in both lots, I bet there would have been 6K-plus in the stands, had the weather been even remotely cooperative. It was downright ugly. You had to be pretty hardcore to sit thru it.

I was at BC, too, and stayed for the whole game. Sorry to hear your reaction was so negative. No question that penalties hurt the Black Bears, but no more than they hurt BC. As for playcalling ... with all due respect ... I have yet to meet a fan who didn't think he knew more about offense than the head coach and OC. Although there are a few plays here and there that I might have called differently, no one in the stands had access to the BC gamefilms or pressbox spotting that Coach Cos and Coach Wilder had access to.

I kind of like the new spread scheme they're using. I'm not sure Whitcomb is perfectly suited to it, but he's athletic enough to be a running threat.

You didn't mention the great play of UMaine's secondary, which limited the BC QB to a lower completion percentage than Whitcomb had, and which gave up only one long pass play all day -- a 30-yarder off of a scramble.

With all of that said, I think Maine could have beaten BC had our first scoring threat -- a long run to inside the 5 -- not been taking away by :flagged: :flagged: by :bang: :bang: :bang: a penalty. That could have changed the complexion of the game.

I mentioned that the defense played well.......glad to hear that your view of the game provided you with a much more positive experience than I had. Personally, I feel like I got 1.5 hours of my life back to enjoy by leaving the game early. But you had a much better reason to stay and watch the entire game. Hope that the Black Bears can play better from here on out and learn to do the "little things" right.

One other question.....what was up with Whitcomb's "chicken dance" before each snap? Many in the crowd around me wondered what the heck he was doing (and I was too). The crowd was not THAT loud and certainly not as loud as Montana's a few years ago.

PapaBear
October 1st, 2006, 10:06 PM
One other question.....what was up with Whitcomb's "chicken dance" before each snap? Many in the crowd around me wondered what the heck he was doing (and I was too). The crowd was not THAT loud and certainly not as loud as Montana's a few years ago.

Chicken Dance??xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

OK, I'll explain. This isn't giving away family secrets. All football coaches know what he's doing. In fact, lots of other teams do it, too.

Ron calls a dummy cadence and then Coach Wilder watches the defense to see if they make any last-minute adjustments etc, in anticipation of the snap. Then Ron looks over and someone on the sidelines signals in the actual play, which Ron then relays (by shouting and gesturing signals) to the rest of the offense. Yeah, he gets a little animated. But everything has a meaning.

Why doesn't the defense just "fake" a reaction until Ron gets the play? Well, because they never know whether he's actually going to snap the ball or check with the sidelines, first. So there's about a 99.9% chance that the defense's reaction to the dummy cadence will signal its intentions.

Lehigh University did virtually the same thing last year under Lembo. If I had to guess, I'd bet Elon is doing some of it this year.

Hope you enjoyed Boston.

mainejeff
October 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Chicken Dance??xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

OK, I'll explain. This isn't giving away family secrets. All football coaches know what he's doing. In fact, lots of other teams do it, too.

Ron calls a dummy cadence and then Coach Wilder watches the defense to see if they make any last-minute adjustments etc, in anticipation of the snap. Then Ron looks over and someone on the sidelines signals in the actual play, which Ron then relays (by shouting and gesturing signals) to the rest of the offense. Yeah, he gets a little animated. But everything has a meaning.

Why doesn't the defense just "fake" a reaction until Ron gets the play? Well, because they never know whether he's actually going to snap the ball or check with the sidelines, first. So there's about a 99.9% chance that the defense's reaction to the dummy cadence will signal its intentions.

Lehigh University did virtually the same thing last year under Lembo. If I had to guess, I'd bet Elon is doing some of it this year.

Hope you enjoyed Boston.

Whitcomb was not fooling anyone......