PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Aims to Be I-AA's Elite League

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 09:30 AM
This article talks about the recent success of the Gateway against I-A foes, five teams from the Gateway in the I-AA top 25 and playing more I-As...in addition to the success of St Louis based players...

Rise of I-AA boosts league
By Brian Doolittle
SPECIAL TO THE POST-DISPATCH
09/30/2006

The Gateway Football Conference is taking aim at the unofficial title of the elite league in NCAA Division I-AA. It's already the best in the Midwest.

The league's national credibility is enhanced by the fact that, overall, the talent discrepancy between Division I-A and Division I-AA seems to be shrinking.

"A lot of fans just don't know about I-AA. But the more they find out, the more they realize how good the football is," said Western Illinois sophomore running back Herb Donaldson (CBC).

Players want exposure and playing time. With increased television coverage and Internet coverage, some players are drawn to I-AA schools where they are more likely to play.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/othersports/story/656772FE10B70E96862571F9000FA0FE?OpenDocument

FlyYtown
September 30th, 2006, 10:12 AM
It has been I-AA elite league in my book 3 out of the last 4 years... It will be 4 out of 5 after this year....

5 in the Top 25!!!
Gateway is very very tough again.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 11:06 AM
It has been I-AA elite league in my book 3 out of the last 4 years... It will be 4 out of 5 after this year....

And that's what's going to keep Youngstown St out of the I-AA playoffs, just like last year, right? xsmileyclapx

GeauxColonels
September 30th, 2006, 11:15 AM
And that's what's going to keep Youngstown St out of the I-AA playoffs, just like last year, right? xsmileyclapx
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Oh NO YOU DIDN'T!!! SNAP!

Hansel
September 30th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Great West has 3/5 teams in the top 25....

FlyYtown
September 30th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Hey everyone is upset for me making YSU fans look bad, so I won't comeback at that one. Geeze I am such a bad YSU fan aren't I.....

:nod: :nod: :nod:

youwouldno
September 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I'd be impressed with more titles, as opposed to talk.

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I'd be impressed with more titles, as opposed to talk.
3 different Gateway teams have won National Championships (SIU,YSU, and WKU). I don't think any other league can say that.

Hansel
September 30th, 2006, 03:22 PM
3 different Gateway teams have won National Championships (SIU,YSU, and WKU). I don't think any other league can say that.
Delaware, UMass, James Madison

Montana, Montana State, Idaho St

Georgia Southern, App St, Furman

:)

Jaxhen
September 30th, 2006, 03:24 PM

A-10 - UD, JMU, UMASS
Southern - GSU, Furman, App. St.

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Quick response. App St. just put the Socon onto the list last year. Frankly I had forgotten that Idaho State had a title.

Hansel
September 30th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Quick response. App St. just put the Socon onto the list last year. Frankly I had forgotten that Idaho State had a title.
Though not a current member- Boise did win a I-AA title as a Big Sky team as well :)

Jaxhen
September 30th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Though not a current member- Boise did win a I-AA title as a Big Sky team as well :)

Same with Marshall in the Southern Conf.

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2006, 05:37 PM
At least I can look at a top 25 scoreboard and track all the Gateway games tonight.

Hansel
September 30th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Same here :)

Southern Utah W-L: 3-1 0
(5) Cal Poly W-L: 3-1 0

11) North Dakota St W-L: 3-0 0
Stephen F Austin W-L: 0-4 0

South Dakota St W-L: 1-3 0
(16) McNeese State W-L: 1-2 0

UC Davis (also ranked) is idle

PS you puttin the spread somewhere around 30 for the Ind St game?

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Same here :)

Southern Utah W-L: 3-1 0
(5) Cal Poly W-L: 3-1 0

11) North Dakota St W-L: 3-0 0
Stephen F Austin W-L: 0-4 0

South Dakota St W-L: 1-3 0
(16) McNeese State W-L: 1-2 0

UC Davis (also ranked) is idle

PS you puttin the spread somewhere around 30 for the Ind St game?

Sounds reasonable to me. Indy State can score, but they can't stop anybody.