PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: "Divisions 1-A, 1-AA both profit from meetings"

UNHWildCats
September 30th, 2006, 07:53 AM
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

These games win-win
Divisions 1-A, 1-AA both profit from meetings
By John Powers, Globe Staff | September 30, 2006

It's not as if Texas is going to make a habit of grazing lower on the football food chain, filling its plate with Bobcats and Bearkats . ``We would not play a Division 1-AA team in the future," Texas coach Mack Brown said when Sam Houston State was lassoed as today's blue-plate special. ``That's not who we are."

But when Texas dialed around for a 12th opponent this season, 40 of its Division 1-A opponents reportedly said nix to traveling to Austin to be on the business end of a longhorn. So the defending national champions did what roughly three-quarters of their peers did, bringing in a Double A date for their extra game.

With a handful of notable exceptions, it's been all upside for both sides. The 1-A schools got an extra home game and an easy victory that counts toward bowl qualification. The 1-AAs got a big payday ($300,000 and up), a taste of life in the fast lane, and a valuable recruiting tool.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2006/09/30/these_games_win_win/?page=1

JMU1992
September 30th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I think this is one of the better written articles discussing the differences in I-A and I-AA. I have no problems with it at all.

Go...gate
September 30th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Same here. What's the big deal?

UNHWildCats
September 30th, 2006, 12:08 PM
lol just the 1-AA thing :P:P

PMB4Life
September 30th, 2006, 04:23 PM
There are some falsities to the article, too... I-AA won TWO games last year (is the UC-Davis/Stanford game that hard to remember?) and I'm fairly certain I-AA has won SIX games so far this year.

And Texas can get all hoity-toity if they want to, but there's NO difference between scheduling a I-AA team and scheduling La-Monroe as they've done before (and beaten 66-3 I believe).

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 04:35 PM
There are some falsities to the article, too...

They couldn't even get the names of the subdivision right! What's with the Div 1 and 1-AA talk? :bang:

Husky Alum
September 30th, 2006, 10:49 PM
John Powers should stick to what he does best - cover the Olympics.

What irked me throughout the column was the reference to I-AA teams as "Double A's" - the subtle inference in a huge baseball town like Boston that I-AA schools were a third class citizen, akin to AA baseball.

Then again, that's what the Boston Globe thinks of the NU's, Holy Crosses, UNH's and UMasses of the world - unless they're competing for a National Title.

Typical Boston Globe hack job.