PDA

View Full Version : SoCon week 6 Power rankings/ Week 7 Predictions

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 5th, 2013, 09:40 PM
1. Wofford - still the best team (see Samford)
2. Samford - wasn't overly impressed with them defensively. Offensive they have looked good albeit GSU did some horrible tackling today. I give Wofford the edge because they have a good D complemented with an offense that is also good.
3. GSU - hasn't seemed to figure out what to do offensively with our top 3 fullbacks out with injuries. At least we aren't App. State
4. Chattanooga - Takes care of business against Western...still very much in the running for the championship.
5. The Citadel - Gets the win over App. State, sends App off with a nice parting gift.
6. App. State - 6th only because 7-9 seem worse
7. Furman - hard to decide where they go. You beat the Citadel but lose to Elon?
8. Elon - Good week 6, but have to look at the overall picture and it still doesn't look great.
9. Western - could be interchangeable with Furman and Elon

Samford: 31
App. State: 20

Chatty: 35
Furman 17

Georgia Southern: 24
The Citadel: 20

Wofford: 48
Elon: 10

Auburn: 58
Western: 14

catamount man
October 5th, 2013, 10:08 PM
1) Samford
2) Wofford
3) GSU
4) Chatt
5) Citadel
6) App
7) Elon
8) Furman
9) WCU

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 5th, 2013, 10:38 PM
I was 3-3 this past week. There is now a level of separation between the top and the bottom teams. This is where I have after this week.

1) Wofford - steamrolls Presbyterian to remain at the top
2) Samford - knocks off the Eagles to move here
3) Georgia Southern (ineligible) - loses another SoCon game
4) Chattanooga - doubles up WCU to remain in place
5) The Citadel - beats Appalachian State at home
6) Appalachian State (ineligible) - Satterfield is fixing to get nominated for the Buddy Kent Hackett award.
7) Elon - survives vs. Furman (what?)
8) Furman - is their season teetering on collapse?
9) Western Carolina - Another game, another disappointing loss.
Mercer - Their last loss prior to today was in 1941.
VMI - Resting up for the next stretch
ETSU - Found out this week they are among 13 schools that will be losing their Army ROTC program.

Predictions
The Citadel @ Georgia Southern - Bulldogs go for the sweep of the future Sun Belt programs
Elon @ Wofford - Terriers win to maintain SoCon supremacy
Western Carolina @ Auburn (Beatdown of the week) - Catamounts go 0-3 against FBS
Samford @ Appalachian State - Bulldogs manage to win at KBS
Furman @ Chattanooga - Mocs win another game at home
Valparaiso @ Mercer - Bears win get back on the winning track
Charleston Southern @ VMI - Chadwell continues to audition for the right to succeed Torbush by hammering VMI.
ETSU - Is it 2015 yet?

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2013, 11:04 PM
For the record, Furman started their 4th string quarterback and third consecutive true freshman today. Furman has played something like 12 quarters of football in the past two seasons where a true freshman was not at quarterback. Duncan Fletcher did everything you could have asked for today.

Today's game was tough to swallow. Furman had 100+ more yards of offense, but just could not overcome penalties and two crippling first half turnovers. Elon made a couple big plays on offense, and that was about all they needed.

I'm not particularly worried going forward. I still think our defense is stout and will keep us in the games. Five games now decided by one score.

Reign of Terrier
October 5th, 2013, 11:19 PM
there are 2 groups in my opinion of socon teams (+western)

Group 1
Wofford
Samford
GSU
Chatty

Group 2 (really close:alphabetical order)
App
Citadel
Elon
Furman

+Western

Samford and Wofford right now are the class of the Socon. Homerism aside, I think Wofford is better by virtue of the fact that we have a better defense. If you want to go for moral victories, Wofford has played Baylor better than any other team so far defensively. Most of the points scored against us in FCS competition were either in garbage time or off of a turnover inside the 20 (only GSU's scores in the first half are outside of that criteria). Samford has an elite passing game, but there running game is so-so. Wofford has a decent pass game for an option team, and Evan Jacks looks like the best QB right now, and the sort of player we haven't seen before.

GSU will probably win the rest of their games, if they win this week.

App, Citadel, Elon, and Furman will compete but they aren't going to be favored against Samford/Wofford/Chatty/GSU

Western is Western.

dystopiamembrane
October 6th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Rankings:
1. Wofford
2. Samford
3. Georgia Southern
4. Chattanooga
5. The Citadel
6. Furman
7. Appalachian State
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Predictions:
Appalachian State 24-31 Samford
Chattanooga 24-14 Furman
Georgia Southern 41-31 The Citadel
Wofford 27-7 Elon
Auburn 50-3 Western Carolina

The Cats
October 6th, 2013, 10:24 AM
1) Samford
2) Wofford
3) Chattanooga
4) The Citadel
5) Elon
6) Furman
7) Western Carolina

*Georgia Southern (ineligible)
*Appalachian State (ineligible)

Predictions
The Citadel at GSU
Elon at Wofford
Samford at ASU
Furman at Chattanooga
WCU at Auburn

Valparaiso at Mercer
Charleston Southern at VMI

SU DOG
October 6th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I'll say this about our D, they seem to me to be improving each week. They are learning to play together, and we have enough depth that our front seven are usually stronger in the second half. They still have a ways to go, BUT don't count on being able to push these big guys around. I'm not sure how I would rate the SoCon Teams this week, but I am more optimistic about Samford now after the Ga Sou win. BTW, I know they do have some key injuries, but by my count they started 19 upperclassmen yesterday, and they are still a very dangerous team. It feels good to know that Samford has faced the Eagles 6 times in the SoCon and has won FOUR!! Anyhow, a couple of things about my team, and yes, I am a homer. Along with the passing attack, Truss had another 100+ rushing yards. Summerlin is still in an incredible zone, with a big O-Line that is giving him great protection. Another thing that hasn't been discussed, is that he is throwing to a group of receivers who are among the most athletic in all of FCS(I can defend this statement if I need to).

Unfortunately, I can't celebrate yesterday for long, because the HC in Boone next Sat. is definitely a TRAP game for my Dogs. Their record aside, App State has a roster full of incredible athletes. I'm not predicting a loss, but I'm afraid it will definitely be a struggle.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 6th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I'll say this about our D, they seem to me to be improving each week. They are learning to play together, and we have enough depth that our front seven are usually stronger in the second half. They still have a ways to go, BUT don't count on being able to push these big guys around. I'm not sure how I would rate the SoCon Teams this week, but I am more optimistic about Samford now after the Ga Sou win. BTW, I know they do have some key injuries, but by my count they started 19 upperclassmen yesterday, and they are still a very dangerous team. It feels good to know that Samford has faced the Eagles 6 times in the SoCon and has won FOUR!! Anyhow, a couple of things about my team, and yes, I am a homer.

I'm glad it makes you feel good. Eagles are used to everyone measuring themselves against us. You should be proud to have a good program, but just be glad you joined the SoCon when GSU was down or else your record would look just like Chattanooga and Western.

Also, is it part of the Rich people culture to just write big checks for athletics, but not show up and cheer? This might be the best team Samford has ever had and the crowd was pitiful.

SU DOG
October 6th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I'm glad it makes you feel good. Eagles are used to everyone measuring themselves against us. You should be proud to have a good program, but just be glad you joined the SoCon when GSU was down or else your record would look just like Chattanooga and Western.

Also, is it part of the Rich people culture to just write big checks for athletics, but not show up and cheer? This might be the best team Samford has ever had and the crowd was pitiful.

Our attendance does need to improve, I cannot argue that. A couple of things to consider, however. We do not have the recent history of tradition that most SoCon teams have, that have small enrollments. We have been FCS only since the late 80s, and only had success briefly under T. Bowden(91-92) Our undergrad on campus figure is less than 3,000. The university's commitment to football as a decently funded sport didn't happen until 2007. Yes the 7,896 was not great, but REALLY, is that the BEST you, as a fan of the mighty Eagle Nation can point a finger at? Kinda pathetic IMO. BTW did I mention the numbers 4-2? LOL.

CID1990
October 6th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Samford has always matched up well with GSU I think because of their beefy interior on D. They stop the dive well, which is always priority 1 with option teams.

Reign of Terrier
October 6th, 2013, 01:14 PM
It may sound like a moot point, but if you take out the Baylor game, Wofford would without a doubt have one of the top 5 best defenses in the FCS statistically. the fact that we're 48th in total defense in spite of giving up 692 yards on opening day is a pretty good feat in itself. On top of that we're the only team so far to keep the Bears under 700 yards.

Given the fact that we've played Baylor, GSU, and the citadel and we're only giving up 205 yards rushing a game, I consider that a win as well.

I could also get into how most of the points we've given up were either to Baylor, garbage time, or off of a turnover in short field (all of GW and PC's points qualify to that criteria, as well as GSU's last touchdown)

So far this year it doesn't appear like we're missing Woody too much.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 6th, 2013, 01:55 PM
It may sound like a moot point, but if you take out the Baylor game, Wofford would without a doubt have one of the top 5 best defenses in the FCS statistically. the fact that we're 48th in total defense in spite of giving up 692 yards on opening day is a pretty good feat in itself. On top of that we're the only team so far to keep the Bears under 700 yards.

Given the fact that we've played Baylor, GSU, and the citadel and we're only giving up 205 yards rushing a game, I consider that a win as well.

I could also get into how most of the points we've given up were either to Baylor, garbage time, or off of a turnover in short field (all of GW and PC's points qualify to that criteria, as well as GSU's last touchdown)

So far this year it doesn't appear like we're missing Woody too much.

It's worth pointing out that you guys faced the healthiest Georgia Southern team that any SoCon team will face this year, and that it's unlikely any of our remaining SoCon opponents will hold us under 20 (El Cid might, but Furman, Elon, Western, and App won't).

Another less significant but frustrating fact...after this season Wofford will have been the only team to have faced Dominique Swope three teams. All of the other teams have faced him at most once and App. State and UTC still have yet to go up against him. I don't know why the F we can't keep him and the other fullbacks healthy.

SU DOG
October 6th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Was Swope 100% for the WC game? If he was then credit to the Terrier defense. If not, then that might make his participation a rather moot point. From the stats, he averaged less than 5 yds/carry and his longest run was for 9 yards.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Furman's defense has been surprisingly good and consistent. Only two seniors on the two deep. Been very stout against the run and has already faced a bunch of solid running teams (GWU, Coastal, the Citadel).

eaglemachine
October 6th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Was Swope 100% for the WC game? If he was then credit to the Terrier defense. If not, then that might make his participation a rather moot point. From the stats, he averaged less than 5 yds/carry and his longest run was for 9 yards.

No. He has not played much even in the two games he was in. Offseason shoulder injury then out for the rest of the season from surgery on the other shoulder. Against Samford we were playing a senior walk on in his place, 3rd string b back, out senior qb and a b back with his first career start. Other injuries are on o line and a back so we can't protect the backfield as well and our pitching game is non existent.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Summerlin is having a great season.

I am little jealous, though. Furman has four quarterbacks on roster (three are injured), two true sophomores and two true freshman. That is, Summerlin has more years in a college program than all four of Furman's quarterbacks combined.

I've said this plenty of times, but in the FCS a strong quarterback can carry a team a long long way.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 6th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Our attendance does need to improve, I cannot argue that. A couple of things to consider, however. We do not have the recent history of tradition that most SoCon teams have, that have small enrollments. We have been FCS only since the late 80s, and only had success briefly under T. Bowden(91-92) Our undergrad on campus figure is less than 3,000. The university's commitment to football as a decently funded sport didn't happen until 2007. Yes the 7,896 was not great, but REALLY, is that the BEST you, as a fan of the mighty Eagle Nation can point a finger at? Kinda pathetic IMO. BTW did I mention the numbers 4-2? LOL.

Like I said, good job. I have no problem with 4-2. Just pointing out the difference in our programs that a win over us is a feather in your cap, but a loss to you is humiliating and a sign that something is really wrong. 2013 looks like a Bizarro World scenario for the SoCon. Good luck to VMI, Mercer, and a start-up ETSU.

SU DOG
October 6th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Like I said, good job. I have no problem with 4-2. Just pointing out the difference in our programs that a win over us is a feather in your cap, but a loss to you is humiliating and a sign that something is really wrong. 2013 looks like a Bizarro World scenario for the SoCon. Good luck to VMI, Mercer, and a start-up ETSU.

Understood, and no arguing here. With the storied past that Georgia Southern has, however, a win over the Eagles is a feather in most any FCS team's cap.

fc97
October 6th, 2013, 05:54 PM

thats the kind of tongue in cheek jab that is going to make no one miss you guys or app.

why is it no one in any other conference talks like that even with storied programs? it seems to be just problems at two regional schools with inferiority complexes.

eaglemachine
October 6th, 2013, 06:46 PM
thats the kind of tongue in cheek jab that is going to make no one miss you guys or app.

why is it no one in any other conference talks like that even with storied programs? it seems to be just problems at two regional schools with inferiority complexes.

No offense to Samford...they played a good game. but do you deny that if 12 of our starters were not out and we were not playing backups that we would have blown Samford out of the water? We held it close despite costly fumbles and playing 3 and 4 down on the depth chart and into walkons. Our defense sucks but they would not have been able to keep up with us on offense. The only team that can beat Georgia Southern, is Georgia Southern itself. In our 2 loses, that is what happened. Lack of execution.

CID1990
October 6th, 2013, 06:50 PM
No offense to Samford...they played a good game. but do you deny that if 12 of our starters were not out and we were not playing backups that we would have blown Samford out of the water? We held it close despite costly fumbles and playing 3 and 4 down on the depth chart and into walkons. Our defense sucks but they would not have been able to keep up with us on offense. The only team that can beat Georgia Southern, is Georgia Southern itself. In our 2 loses, that is what happened. Lack of execution.

IF

frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their a$$es when they hop.

ElCid
October 6th, 2013, 07:32 PM
1) Wofford - I will stick with the rat dogs for now, but Samford is snapping at their heels.
2) Samford - Good effort against a weakened Ga Southern team.
3) Georgia Southern (not a real player) - Will the season be called due to apathy and injury?
4) Chattanooga - Good performance, but it was Western.
5) The Citadel - Dogs show a little spirit, but it was a sloppy win over a down App St.
6) Appalachian State (not a real player) - Not much spark in them, but they have talent.
7) Elon - Showed some fight against a hot and cold Furman team.
8) Furman - They might have shot their bolt beating The Citadel a week ago. They will be very good come 2015.
9) Western Carolina - It only gets worse the next 2 weeks with Auburn and Wofford.

The Citadel @ Georgia Southern - Dogs have played them tough recently (of the last 7 games: 4 decided by a FG or less, 2 by a TD or less and one 20 point game the first year The Cid switched to the option). I don't think, given the Eagles current situation, that it will be any different. I have to give the edge to the Eagles at home - 28-23
Elon @ Wofford - Wofford rolls at home - 42-20
Western Carolina @ Auburn - ouch again - 56-7
Samford @ Appalachian State - App shows some fight, but Samford is too hot - 38-31
Furman @ Chattanooga - Furman finally loses by more than one score 38-13

ElCid
October 6th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Think you guys will beat yourself this week?xlolx

Hope so because I am headed to the boro.

chattownmocs
October 6th, 2013, 08:02 PM

Name 12 starters that were out.

SU DOG
October 6th, 2013, 08:48 PM

Please show me where you had players that played against UTC that were injured and did NOT play against Samford. I may have missed something, but I have checked the stats and the participation list looks like the SAME players played both games.

Gringer1
October 6th, 2013, 09:15 PM

Dude, I'm a GSU fan and even I'm going to call you on the chattown logic here. Everybody has players get hurt during the year. Sure, GSU has a lot of guys out, but if Samford really has no talent, our backups should be able to take care of things.

Cocky
October 6th, 2013, 10:09 PM

No wonder GaSo has won so many games we only get to use eleven starters. 4s means you travel with 96 plus special team players. Walk ons, several schools start walk ons.

Sounds like you got out played and out coached.

seantaylor
October 7th, 2013, 03:10 AM
I'm starting to think that we are redshirting these players at every opportunity. I believe some of those injured have requested the red shirt in this throwaway season.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2013, 05:21 AM

You know, if two teams play, and one team executes and wins, and the other one doesn't, some might argue the team that goes out and executes and wins is the better team and, in fact, beat the other team.

It is false logic to argue that my team can only lose when we don't play well enough to win.

Besides, GSU has massive (and I mean massive) recruiting advantages over every other SoCon School (even App, who is in a football saturated state in place that gets wicked cold). Don't feed me "we had a few players out." Everyone has players out.

eaglewraith
October 7th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Please show me where you had players that played against UTC that were injured and did NOT play against Samford. I may have missed something, but I have checked the stats and the participation list looks like the SAME players played both games.

Before the game with you guys, we were told we have lost 13 scholarship players for the year. I am not privvy to who exactly is on scholarship and who isn't. Also, I don't put a lot of weight on the "starter" title because we rotate personnel so much, a starter might play the first two plays of the game before someone else is rotated in. That's where the losses have hurt us the most.

What we did against you guys in the second quarter is what I've been expecting to see us do (from an actual gameplan standpoint, not just the point production) all season. You guys had no answer for what we were doing and it showed by how we just moved down the field. For whatever reason, we stopped doing it. That's the first time we've truly spread the field in a while. The B-Back losses didn't really affect us with that strategy because we weren't using them. I'm surprised we haven't committed to that strategy since it will shield us from the personnel losses we've had, but we're gonna have to get better at running pass routes to make it really effective.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2013, 07:30 AM
No wonder GaSo has won so many games we only get to use eleven starters. 4s means you travel with 96 plus special team players. Walk ons, several schools start walk ons.

Sounds like you got out played and out coached.

I said this in the preseason, but GSU and App are not the two best teams in the SoCon. GSU has already lost to the two best teams, and App sure enough is going to lose to them too.

CID1990
October 7th, 2013, 08:07 AM
I'm starting to think that we are redshirting these players at every opportunity. I believe some of those injured have requested the red shirt in this throwaway season.

So much for "we're going to run the conference this year", eh?

Seems like you have changed your tune.

walliver
October 7th, 2013, 08:19 AM
1) Samford - still has UTC and WC to go
2) Wofford - offense picking up, still has to play Sammy and UTC
3) Georgia Southern - apparently they only lose when they beat themselves, so they are still undefeated. They have a front-loaded schedule and will probably cruise for the rest of the season.
4) UTC - badly beat bad teams, need to step up and beat a good team

... very large gap here ...
5) Citadel - erratic, but effective at times
6) ASU - they really are that bad. Linemen aren't glamorous, but you can't win without them.
7) Elon - moving, but not much farther
8) Furman - M*A*S*H unit, not much you can do when the football gods have it in for you
9) Western - Is WCU built on an ancient Indian Burial Ground?

Mercer - streak is over, honeymoon is over, real life starts now, and adult life starts in September 2014
VMI -
ETSU - waiting

Predictions:
Sammy vs. App - The better team wins by 2 TD's. Sammy 31-17 - I believe Sammy would take this one even if ASU had "something to play for"
Chatty vs. Furman - Mocs roll over the depleted Paladins 38-14
GSU vs. Citadel - Citadel always keeps it close against the Eagles. Senior experience makes the difference and the Chucktown Dogs pull an upset 31-28
Wofford vs. Elon - The Real Dogs win 31-17
Auburn vs Western - Alabama Tiggers win 53-10

Mercer wins
VMI loses

SU DOG
October 7th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Before the game with you guys, we were told we have lost 13 scholarship players for the year. I am not privvy to who exactly is on scholarship and who isn't. Also, I don't put a lot of weight on the "starter" title because we rotate personnel so much, a starter might play the first two plays of the game before someone else is rotated in. That's where the losses have hurt us the most.

What we did against you guys in the second quarter is what I've been expecting to see us do (from an actual gameplan standpoint, not just the point production) all season. You guys had no answer for what we were doing and it showed by how we just moved down the field. For whatever reason, we stopped doing it. That's the first time we've truly spread the field in a while. The B-Back losses didn't really affect us with that strategy because we weren't using them. I'm surprised we haven't committed to that strategy since it will shield us from the personnel losses we've had, but we're gonna have to get better at running pass routes to make it really effective.

Yep, you guys sure did win - the 2nd quarter!! LOL LOL. My condolences if some of your players quit at halftime, but for whatever reason the last half was a 34-13 blowout. It's not like you were beaten by Savannah State you know. You were beaten by a team that has bested you FOUR of SIX times as a conference member. Look, I have all the respect in the world for the Georgia Southern Program - we all wish we could have had that kind of success. Also, I AM NOT on this Board fishing for compliments for my team. I guess I'm just amazed at what seems to be some sort of Ga Southern denial being expressed here. Seems strange and somewhat out of character to me.

eaglewraith
October 7th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Yep, you guys sure did win - the 2nd quarter!! LOL LOL. My condolences if some of your players quit at halftime, but for whatever reason the last half was a 34-13 blowout. It's not like you were beaten by Savannah State you know. You were beaten by a team that has bested you FOUR of SIX times as a conference member. Look, I have all the respect in the world for the Georgia Southern Program - we all wish we could have had that kind of success. Also, I AM NOT on this Board fishing for compliments for my team. I guess I'm just amazed at what seems to be some sort of Ga Southern denial being expressed here. Seems strange and somewhat out of character to me.

I expected a better response from you as you are normally one of the most reasonable guys on here. None of that was smack. The first part was what we've been told about losses in personnel and how it effects what we normally do.

The second part is obvious, because we changed philosophy twice in the game. We started out doing our normal flexbone thing and ya'll shut it down, although with McKinnon as QB it's pretty obvious all you need is one high safety and then just rush toward the motion side (we are rarely running counters and McKinnon is no threat as a passer, your defense also did a fantastic job of pursuit on the backside). You guys had multiple defenders on the perimeter which is a big reason why it didn't work, even with great blocking you can't stop multiple guys. Then in the second quarter we switch to Ellison at QB with McKinnon at RB and start spreading the field. We had 3 quick drives for TD's and we actually attacked down field. Ellison was throwing to wide open receivers, and the run game opened up because you could no longer load up on us. We go into halftime looking good with you backpedaling waiting for the knockout blow. Then we come out and start doing our normal flexbone thing again and you guys started loading up on it and pressing the receivers outside (btw you guys had the best coverage of the WR's when we were in flex of anyone I've seen this year, kudos). Your offense revs up after the defense causes us to do what is definitely going to happen when you run into a defense that's waiting for you to get there with the ball, then next thing you know we forgot how to football on defense.

It was a great job all around by your team, no doubt. I'm just frustrated so much because our coach is obviously wanting to evolve the offense into something that looks more similar to what teams like Oregon is doing with our traditional flexbone mixed in, but he won't commit to it. What we did in the second quarter on offense is all I saw during the spring and heard about during fall camp. It seriously looks like we've practiced a bunch of stuff that we refuse to run, and since we have now "wasted" all that time, we look like garbage in the flex. Your defense did a good job of getting the stops/turnovers when they were needed even though you gave up 34. We just aren't prepared to stop the kind of offense ya'll run.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 7th, 2013, 09:16 AM

I don't know if he was 100% for that, but he was doing what he needed to do in that game...consistently picking up 4 or more yards. He didn't get a lot of carries but Wofford had to show respect for the dive. William Banks (the backup) played a heck of a game against UTC, maybe the best of his career. He was obviously not fully healthy coming into the Samford game as he was sharing snaps with our fourth string fullback early. Banks made one big play in the second quarter and didn't return after that. The fullback position is kind of important in this offense and you are hamstrung if the threat of the dive isn't there.

Every team has injuries, but how many teams are missing an all-American fullback and two of his top backups as well as a couple of offensive linemen (who were also healthy for UTC)? No offense, I think Samford can win a share of the title but if I'm betting I've still got my money on Wofford and not counting out UTC.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2013, 09:26 AM
So much for "we're going to run the conference this year", eh?

Seems like you have changed your tune.

There's plenty of crow to go around the table this season between App and GSU fans.

CID1990
October 7th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Boo hoo.

We'd be good if not for our injuries. What a crock of crap.

Has anyone heard us complaining ad nauseum about no longer having our All American center (and we are thin up front as a result) or our leading tackler MLB?

It's football. People get hurt. If your stars are china dolls then that counts for something. Maybe they should have chosen to run track and field instead.

CID1990
October 7th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Oh, and BTW-

1. Samford
2. Wofford
3. GSU
4. UTC
5. The Citadel
6. ASU
7. Elon
8. Furman
9. WCU
10. Mercer
11. VMI
12. ETSU

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 7th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Boo hoo.

We'd be good if not for our injuries. What a crock of crap.

Has anyone heard us complaining ad nauseum about no longer having our All American center (and we are thin up front as a result) or our leading tackler MLB?

It's football. People get hurt. If your stars are china dolls then that counts for something. Maybe they should have chosen to run track and field instead.

We've had more than our fair share of injuries in recent years. We've lost at least one major starter every year for the past several years, including several all-SoCon playes. You don't have to tell me that injuries happen and you can get past them. But we're not talking about an injury bug here, we've moved past that and are pushing for an injury pandemic. It happens from time to time but you can't say you've a typical injury problem when your down to your fourth string fullback and are missing a dozen scholarship players. If you play Monopoly and go to jail once or twice, that's Monopoly. Go to jail six times and you're just unlucky and will have a hard time beating anyone.

CID1990
October 7th, 2013, 10:14 AM
We've had more than our fair share of injuries in recent years. We've lost at least one major starter every year for the past several years, including several all-SoCon playes. You don't have to tell me that injuries happen and you can get past them. But we're not talking about an injury bug here, we've moved past that and are pushing for an injury pandemic. It happens from time to time but you can't say you've a typical injury problem when your down to your fourth string fullback and are missing a dozen scholarship players. If you play Monopoly and go to jail once or twice, that's Monopoly. Go to jail six times and you're just unlucky and will have a hard time beating anyone.

So who hasn't? The same has been true for The Citadel. Last year we lost just about our entire defensive backfield during the season. That's football. Losing football games because of injuries is no different from losing football games because of bad calls or busted coverage. Injuries count, so maybe not recruiting china dolls should also be the mark of an excellent team.

SpeedkingATL
October 7th, 2013, 10:21 AM
1) Samford - It appears Sammy is for real. They have finally opened up the offense with great results and are pretty solid on both sides of the ball.
2) Wofford - I downgraded them because of the Baylor beat down but Baylor has shown they are for real. Ayers continues to get the most out of his guys.
3) UTC - I'm still waiting for that breakout win in a big game but they have the horses on defense and Baby Hues on offense. The potential is there but....
4) GaSo - This team is just not firing on all cylinders this year. Rather it's injuries, lack of motivation or something else, just not performing up to expected standards.
5) Citadel - Team Sybil rides again as they beat App State in the "Hot As Hell" bowl in Charleston. Dupree can turn a broken play into 6 any time and did so against the young disorganized Apps.
6) Furman - Not a great team but..............not a good team but..........maybe better than..............
7) App State - Playing just bad enough to lose. Lots of talent there but this team hasn't developed a team identity on either offense or defense.
8) Elon - Still pretty bad but so is most of the bottom half of the SoCon this year. You can arrange Elon, App and Furman any way you want to for the 6-8 positions.
9) WCU - Just awful.

Sammy @ App - I would hope that App's domination of Sammy would continue but Dogs have a red hot QB and a pretty solid defense. App just can't figure out what they want to be on offense and the 3-4 defense is a work that currently is not progressing. Unfortunately this is the year Sammy finally beats the Apps and the Apps home field advantage takes another hit. The only constant about App this year is 3 point losses. Samford wins 31-28.
Furman @ UTC- The Mocs usually win games that they are expected to win and this one is no exception. Furman is beat-up, beat-down and wears purple. The only Paladin that crosses the end zone this week is the horse and I doubt he makes the trip. UTC wins a boring contest 21-0. Don't miss the gouda cheese and pinot at the purple tent and bring plenty of single bills to tip the UTC Honey Moc Dancers.
THE Citadel @ GSU - Citdogs are flying high after defeating the Apps for the second consecutive year and look to do the same to the Eagle Creek Gang. Eagles are in a foul mood after losing to another group of Bullpups and bring their toxic swamp water to sprinkle on the GaSo turf. QB Dupree slips on the swamp water in the first quarter and turns an ankle allowing the Eagles to luck their way to a 28-27 victory.
Elon @ Wofford - Coming off of a big win over a Palmetto State team, Elon takes on the Ankle-Biters in Sparkle City. Wofford runs the triple option to perfection and dominates time of possession and the scoreboard. Elon is back to being Elon as Wofford wins in a walk, 31-14. Elon fans, don't forget to pick up your Elon 28 Furman 25 tee shirts back home at the bookstore. It's the only game day tee shirt that will be sold this year, and very collectible.
Western at Auburn - PPPPPPPPPPPPlease! Tickets for $3 on Stubhub.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 7th, 2013, 10:22 AM
So who hasn't? The same has been true for The Citadel. Last year we lost just about our entire defensive backfield during the season. That's football. Losing football games because of injuries is no different from losing football games because of bad calls or busted coverage. Injuries count, so maybe not recruiting china dolls should also be the mark of an excellent team.

Exactly my point. And how did that work out for you after beating the two best teams in the SoCon?

All I'm really saying here is that people should be careful not to read too much into Samford beating us yesterday. We're not the team that lost to Wofford or even the team that beat UTC last week.

walliver
October 7th, 2013, 10:24 AM

When y'all play Furman, will either team be able to field 11 players to go on the field? :)

Jiggs
October 7th, 2013, 10:25 AM
All I'm really saying here is that people should be careful not to read too much into Samford beating us yesterday.

OK, Samford didn't beat you guys Saturday. You guys are just losers.

chattownmocs
October 7th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Why do the GSU fans refuse to name these missing 12 starters? Georgia Southern gave up almost 700 yards of offense. They have 34 points in the 2nd half. They got crushed. The only game that should have gone the other way was the UTC game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 7th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Why do the GSU fans refuse to name these missing 12 starters? Georgia Southern gave up almost 700 yards of offense. They have 34 points in the 2nd half. They got crushed. The only game that should have gone the other way was the UTC game.

Those were the words right from Coach Monken's mouth before the game yesterday (i.e. it doesn't count the fullback who sat out most of the game and from what I understand at least one offensive linemen who also got taken out of the game in the first half).

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2013, 10:49 AM
To be fair, GSU fans (though none on this site) pulled the "we beat ourselves" card when Wofford handled them well a few weeks ago. There's a million factors that go to each game, some more than others, and injuries can be a more consistent one than missed calls.

Wofford fans know what it's like to be infested with injuries. In 2009, we went 3-8, it was a real anomaly of a season, but it could be mainly attributed to injuries (and in some cases dismissals). We played tough for 2.5 to 3 quarters but by the time the fourth quarter rolled around we were too gassed to keep up the pace and depth came in. I can remember leading or playing close GSU, Samford, and App before finally just imploding. In the long run it actually helped us more than it hurt us as it allowed us to have Godly depth (particularly at linebacker, which was the number one position effected) and get EB back for another year.

So, I think one can tell when a team is depleted by injury, not by performance as much as by inconsistency.

eaglewraith
October 7th, 2013, 12:04 PM
To be fair, GSU fans (though none on this site) pulled the "we beat ourselves" card when Wofford handled them well a few weeks ago. There's a million factors that go to each game, some more than others, and injuries can be a more consistent one than missed calls.

Wofford fans know what it's like to be infested with injuries. In 2009, we went 3-8, it was a real anomaly of a season, but it could be mainly attributed to injuries (and in some cases dismissals). We played tough for 2.5 to 3 quarters but by the time the fourth quarter rolled around we were too gassed to keep up the pace and depth came in. I can remember leading or playing close GSU, Samford, and App before finally just imploding. In the long run it actually helped us more than it hurt us as it allowed us to have Godly depth (particularly at linebacker, which was the number one position effected) and get EB back for another year.

So, I think one can tell when a team is depleted by injury, not by performance as much as by inconsistency.

We straight up got beat against ya'll this year. Injuries weren't really a factor. We might have done a bit better if we'd had a more cohesive gameplan all the way around, but we'd have still had a tough time.

I'm still not willing to say that injuries cost us the game this past Saturday. For all the complaints about the B-Backs being injured, when we ran what we practiced all offseason in the 2nd quarter we were extremely productive so we obviously have some playmakers that can get things done on the field...we just have to use them. As for our defense.....we gave up 343 yards on 5 plays. Several times it wasn't necessarily that we got beat, we made piss poor attempts at tackles on good WR's and they made us pay for it. And for some reason all of our defenders were taking bad angles to the ballcarrier as well. Samford is too good for us to make those mistakes and expect anything other than what happened.

Btw, everyone should take note. There's been no talk about the refs costing us the game. Progress right?

blueballs
October 7th, 2013, 01:00 PM

For once I agree with you...

I looked at the participation report and could only identify a handful of players who were expected to be contributors who were out (starters in bold): Swope, Flowe, A. Williams, Dean, Youyoute, Hunt, Daniels, S. Williams. Perhaps there are some I failed to mention and somebody closer to the program may be able to add/elaborate.

Flowe, Dean, A. Williams, and Daniels are all LB's, so the depth there is razor thin. Swope and Hunt are both big time contributors offensively. However, none of that explains giving up 44 points and almost 700 yards. 354 of those yards came on 5 plays. There is no excuse for that. None. Ever.

Hats off to Samford and Apopka native Andy Summerlin for making the plays and getting the big win.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2013, 01:15 PM
When y'all play Furman, will either team be able to field 11 players to go on the field? :)

Furman's depth is thin at two primary positions - DT and QB. In fact, Furman is actually getting players back they didn't have earlier in the season, it just happens that the depth is all but nonexistent at those two positions (or, perhaps conversely, that the depth is quite good as Furman is still playing tight football games).

It is amazing frankly that Furman hasn't played a game that's been decided by more than 7 points. Their true freshman 3rd string quarterback (the headset guy) threw for 255 against Elon. Furman's defense is arguably the second best in the conference, and easily the best against the run, and we are having to pull offensive linemen over to play DT just to have rotational players. That is a true testament to the coaches if you ask me.

This is likely a homer statement, but one of these days Furman is not going to have 51% of their roster as freshman, and the depth will be there, and I think they are going to knock the block off the SoCon.

theasushow
October 7th, 2013, 01:39 PM
There's a million factors that go to each game

Such as the weather....

SU DOG
October 7th, 2013, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=blueballs;2024557]For once I agree with you...

I looked at the participation report and could only identify a handful of players who were expected to be contributors who were out (starters in bold): Swope, Flowe, A. Williams, Dean, Youyoute, Hunt, Daniels, S. Williams. Perhaps there are some I failed to mention and somebody closer to the program may be able to add/elaborate.

Flowe, Dean, A. Williams, and Daniels are all LB's, so the depth there is razor thin. Swope and Hunt are both big time contributors offensively. However, none of that explains giving up 44 points and almost 700 yards. 354 of those yards came on 5 plays. There is no excuse for that. None. Ever.

Hats off to Samford and Apopka native Andy Summerlin for making the plays and getting the big win.[/QU

That is a huge blow for any team to be without that many contributing/starting players, there is no doubt. Anyhow, THANKS for the classy post, information, and compliments(typical for you, and I have said that before). Also thanks for proving my point, because according to GSEagles stats, and unless I missed something, NONE of those players played one single down in the UTC win.

seantaylor
October 8th, 2013, 01:33 AM
There's plenty of crow to go around the table this season between App and GSU fans.

Furman is the worst team in the Socon. Why are u talking?

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2013, 06:02 AM

Your "arguments" are always so entertaining. Won't ever address statements or issues, just resort to grand conjecture, hyperbole, and name calling supported by facts you make up. It's compelling, really.

What makes Furman the worst team in the SoCon? We've lost on the road to two top 25 programs by seven and at home to Elon with our fourth string quarterback starting?

Smitty
October 8th, 2013, 07:31 AM

HEY

Until Western beats them we still hold that crown. Trying to take our one and only accomplishment...

SpeedkingATL
October 8th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I just hope Samford's backs and WR's are too tired from running up and down the field Saturday to play against the Apps this week. Maybe Summerlin needs more than a week to recover the strength in his throwing arm and he'll throw a couple of "hangers" out of fatigue.

longtimemocfan
October 8th, 2013, 09:19 AM
HEY

Until Western beats them we still hold that crown. Trying to take our one and only accomplishment...

If Western could just add some more pieces to compliment the talent that already exists, they could turn the corner. You have a good dual threat QB and some good receivers. I saw some good play from a freshman DL and LB. So better days could be ahead for the Cats.

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2013, 09:52 AM
If Western could just add some more pieces to compliment the talent that already exists, they could turn the corner. You have a good dual threat QB and some good receivers. I saw some good play from a freshman DL and LB. So better days could be ahead for the Cats.

What's the word out of Chattanooga. Any concern for the Paladins?

longtimemocfan
October 8th, 2013, 09:27 PM
What's the word out of Chattanooga. Any concern for the Paladins?

Yeah, like first and foremost we haven't beaten The Paladins in Chattanooga since like I think 1993 LOl. So that is reason enough to be concerned. We know Furman has a good defense. And plays pretty physical on both sides of the ball. Expect a pretty low scoring game.