PDA

View Full Version : Fordham is damned good

Pages : [1] 2

Lehigh Football Nation
October 5th, 2013, 02:43 PM
That is all. Hats off to them. They are a very, very good team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 02:46 PM
That is all. Hats off to them. They are a very, very good team.

They own me...lol

They are definitely seed worthy. It's hard to see them not winning out.

Overall, i thought LU played pretty well too...

Wallace
October 5th, 2013, 02:50 PM
#9T FORDHAM 52, Lehigh 34 FINAL

nice game for both teams, Lehigh was a good conference test for the Rams

Vooter
October 5th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks, guys... Our D is scaring me, but we only get to enjoy a really good team about once or twice a century, so I'll take it... :D

Engineer86
October 5th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks, guys... Our D is scaring me, but we only get to enjoy a really good team about once or twice a century, so I'll take it... :D

Enjoy the rest of the season, you should win out and maybe have a bye. We will be rooting for you! Hopefully you are a sign of the future.

Vooter
October 5th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Enjoy the rest of the season, you should win out and maybe have a bye. We will be rooting for you! Hopefully you are a sign of the future.

Agreed--I'm excited to see how the schollie-fueled PL develops in the coming years...

Lehigh'98
October 5th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Congrats Rams!! You guys will be a tough out in the playoffs.

ColgateTD
October 5th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Let's face it, FU is on schollies and LU (& the rest of the PL) is not. Wonder what the score would have been if FU didn't field ringers?

bonarae
October 5th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Let's face it, FU is on schollies and LU (& the rest of the PL) is not. Wonder what the score would have been if FU didn't field ringers?

Lehigh might have run the score... xcoffeex

Congratulations also to Fordham. We'll see in their playoff performance. It's all but a lock for now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Might have been the same. Lehigh is a darn good team with only 1 scholarship class. Fordham is simply better.

JoltinJoe
October 5th, 2013, 05:28 PM

I think you should focus on how this proves that the PL with scholarships will likely become the best FCS conference in the nation.

There's no sin in giving rides based on merit. The sin is letting the players, once admitted, to slide in the classroom to field a competitive program. I don't see the PL schools doing that.

RichH2
October 5th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Just back.As I sad on other thread,Rams simply better.The transfers were a major difference. LU D with a few nice plays but overmatched. Dline wore out. DBs were eaten alive all game.QB a better version of McCarney across the board. Excennt player. Dont see them losing the rest of the way. Root for them to get an at large and a seed. I am thankful for Columbia upcoming.

JSUBison
October 5th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I thought Lehigh looked pretty good, defense just couldn't stop them. That muffed punt turned the game. Both are playoff teams no doubt.

Bisonwinagn
October 5th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I thought Lehigh looked pretty good, defense just couldn't stop them. That muffed punt turned the game. Both are playoff teams no doubt.

Yes if Lehigh wins the autobid. IF not then could be out again.

RichH2
October 5th, 2013, 06:01 PM
No doubt LU has to win PL to get in. Cross and Gate will be games. Both with QBs that can run. Like most of PL this year their D not great.

Kramer
October 5th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Yes if Lehigh wins the autobid. IF not then could be out again.

I'm pretty sure it's auto bid or nothing.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 06:05 PM
They own me...lol

They are definitely seed worthy. It's hard to see them not winning out.

Overall, i thought LU played pretty well too...

Idk about that, they might be.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Lots of carnage going on in FCS today. PL looking solid right now after a rough start. 9-2 would be a slippery slope. I wouldn't say zero chance.

Next 3 weeks are big to get mojo back and climb back up in the rankings (they won't drop far as it is). The bye falls perfectly...

Fordham at Yale could be fun...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Idk about that, they might be.

Wins over Villanova, Temple and Lehigh stack up nicely. There are 8 teams that get seeded.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Wins over Villanova, Temple and Lehigh stack up nicely. There are 8 teams that get seeded.

Ah, 8 might be.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 06:23 PM
NDSU

Montana St (assuming big sky crown)

UNI

SLC winner

Towson probably top 5 seeds in no particular order. I can see Fordham getting a seed with their being 8.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Ah, 8 might be.

Be a little objective. A 12-0 team with wins over Villanova, Temple and Lehigh is easily one of the 8 seeds. They could be ranked #2 by the end of the year. Colgate was seeded in 2003.

aceinthehole
October 5th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Lots of carnage going on in FCS today. PL looking solid right now after a rough start. 9-2 would be a slippery slope. I wouldn't say zero chance.

Next 3 weeks are big to get mojo back and climb back up in the rankings (they won't drop far as it is). The bye falls perfectly...

I highly doubt you will see the Patriot League gets 3 teams in the playoffs this year - Fordham (At-large), Lehigh (At-large), & 'Gate/Holy Cross (AQ)

I think Lehigh is a good team this year, but they really have to win the AQ to be assured a spot in the playoffs. Lehigh would need a ton of help from other leagues to get in with a 9-2 record. The Mountain Hawks would not have a single win to hang their hat on - UNH?, Princeton?, CCSU?, Monmouth? 'Gate/HC? I suspect they will be sitting at home without the AQ bid.

RichH2
October 5th, 2013, 06:34 PM
9-2 and win PL get autobid. Same and dont win PL, very iffy. Need UNH to win some games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 06:36 PM
I highly doubt you will see the Patriot League gets 3 teams in the playoffs this year - Fordham (At-large), Lehigh (At-large), & 'Gate/Holy Cross (AQ)

I think Lehigh is a good team this year, but they really have to win the AQ to be assured a spot in the playoffs. Lehigh would need a ton of help from other leagues to get in with a 9-2 record. The Mountain Hawks would not have a single win to hang their hat on - UNH?, Princeton?, CCSU?, Monmouth? 'Gate/HC? I suspect they will be sitting at home without the AQ bid.

I think 9 D1 wins will stack up pretty well. FCS in general seems pretty wide open after the top 7-8 teams imo. Those extra 4 spots are big.

Lots of football to be played. LU opponent W/L is solid. Much better than last year. Fordham win helps them more than it hurts LU imo.

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Great job Rams. Go all the freakin way...at least until you run into NDSU (nobody is beating them)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 5th, 2013, 06:39 PM
If its OK with you I'd rather the team take matters out of the hands of the playoff committee by winning the rest of of their games.

aceinthehole
October 5th, 2013, 06:47 PM
I think 9 D1 wins will stack up pretty well. FCS in general seems pretty wide open after the top 7-8 teams imo. Those extra 4 spots are big.

Lots of football to be played. LU opponent W/L is solid. Much better than last year. Fordham win helps them more than it hurts LU imo.

True, there are 3 more at-large spots this year (PFL gets an AQ) so that helps.

I agree 9 wins look good at first glance (but assuming a loss of the AQ to 'Gate/HC), I don't think the committee will find enough 'quality wins' on the schedule. After what happened last year, I think its an very steep uphill climb with that resume, even with the 3 extra available spots.

Would a 12th game have helped?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 5th, 2013, 06:54 PM
All of a sudden, Fordham at Yale in a couple of weeks looks like a damned interesting game. May be a battle of unbeatens.

Lehigh'98
October 5th, 2013, 07:07 PM
True, there are 3 more at-large spots this year (PFL gets an AQ) so that helps.

I agree 9 wins look good at first glance (but assuming a loss of the AQ to 'Gate/HC), I don't think the committee will find enough 'quality wins' on the schedule. After what happened last year, I think its an very steep uphill climb with that resume, even with the 3 extra available spots.

Would a 12th game have helped?

Absolutely, we could have played Stony Brook on 8/31, in what would have been a toss up up game (maybe slight edge to Stony). I think Lehigh wasn't interested though.

ngineer
October 5th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Absolutely, we could have played Stony Brook on 8/31, in what would have been a toss up up game (maybe slight edge to Stony). I think Lehigh wasn't interested though.

With the new QB and lots of inexperience on D, Andy wanted the extra week of practice; and I think that was the right call.

robsnotes4u
October 5th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Watched a lot of the game before heading to the NDSU game. I was impressed, enjoyed the offense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Watched a lot of the game before heading to the NDSU game. I was impressed, enjoyed the offense.

Bad defense really makes offenses impressive.

robsnotes4u
October 5th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Bad defense really makes offenses impressive.
Top 15 total scoring offense isn't bad no matter how you want to spin it

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 10:29 PM

SI says Fordham is 17th, and Lehigh has the 80th best scoring D in the FCS, which is bottom third.

Lehigh does have the 110th best defense in the FCS by yards.. so that's something.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 10:32 PM
SI says Fordham is 17th, and Lehigh has the 80th best scoring D in the FCS, which is bottom third.

Lehigh does have the 110th best defense in the FCS by yards.. so that's something.

Lehigh's also played some solid teams offensively. It will average out....

FU has been lighting up everyone they play. 3 games over 50...

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 10:38 PM
St Francis total 47, PA 85th.

Columbia 123 total, 121st PA.

Temple has the 122nd best total defense in the FBS.

Villanova has a good D 44th total, 7th PA.

Rhode Islands 37th total, 35th PA.

Surely bad defenses had nothing to do with it, lol.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 10:41 PM
St Francis total 47, PA 85th.

Columbia 123 total, 121st PA.

Temple has the 122nd best total defense in the FBS.

Villanova has a good D 44th total, 7th PA.

Rhode Islands 37th total, 35th PA.

Surely bad defenses had nothing to do with it, lol.

They're exploiting the bad ones. That's what really good teams do. Putting up 50+ points in the same season is no small feat regardless of the competition.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Lehigh's also played some solid teams offensively. It will average out....

FU has been lighting up everyone they play. 3 games over 50...

Sure, the rest of the schedule Lehigh is going to play teams that would struggle to score 3 on a top 25 D. That will inflate the **** out of their stats.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 10:42 PM
They're exploiting the bad ones. That's what*really good teams. Putting up 50+ points in the same season is no small feat regardless of the competition.

These are the same teams that come to NDSU and lose 65-3 against our third string players, and NDSU is no offensive juggernaut.

Villanova is a quality team with a quality defense, no doubt. But they didn't put up 50 against Villanova.

robsnotes4u
October 5th, 2013, 10:44 PM

NCAA the record keeper of NCAA sports has them at 14 in scoring offense.

So if the best offense plays the worst defense, does that make that offense any less of an offense?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Sure, the rest of the schedule Lehigh is going to play teams that would struggle to score 3 on a top 25 D. That will inflate the **** out of their stats.

And their numbers have been inflated the other way. It will average out. If they start getting lit up by crappy offenses the concern level will go up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Fordham has nothing to apologize about. They will be rewarded by those who matter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 10:50 PM
These are the same teams that come to NDSU and lose 65-3 against our third string players, and NDSU is no offensive juggernaut.

Villanova is a quality team with a quality defense, no doubt. But they didn't put up 50 against Villanova.

NDSU does not score 50 very often.

You make it sound like FU needs to apologize for not scoring 50 on Nova.

You're being a bit ridiculous.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 10:51 PM
NDSU does not score 50 very often.

You make it sound like FU needs to apologize for not scoring 50 on Nova.

You're being a bit ridiculous.

FU needs to apologize for nothing, the non FU fan's toting their O, and not recognizing crap D need a minor reality check.

In 2/5 games this year NDSU has scored 50+, but the teams had ****ty defenses.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 10:54 PM
FU needs to apologize for nothing, the non FU fan's toting their O, and not recognizing crap D need a minor reality check.

In 2/5 games this year NDSU has scored 50+, but the teams had ****ty defenses.

And NDSU is heckuva team. Fordham ain't far behind. Defense is obviously the difference. NDSU is an elite team just like the #8 team is really good yet slightly flawed. No one is arguing Fordham should be #2 or Lehigh #9...

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 10:55 PM
And NDSU is heckuva team. Fordham ain't far behind. Defense is obviously the difference. NDSU is an elite team just like thr #8 team is really good yet slightly flawed. No one is arguing Fordham should be #2 or Lehigh #9...

Is what's being argued, I don't know why you are talking about poll rankings.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 11:02 PM
NCAA the record keeper of NCAA sports has them at 14 in scoring offense.

So if the best offense plays the worst defense, does that make that offense any less of an offense?

The NCAA also has Mercer as the #1 total D in the country, and the #2 scoring offense. Lol. Do you think level of competition factors in at all?

clenz
October 5th, 2013, 11:04 PM
The NCAA also has Mercer as the #1 total D in the country. Lol. Do you think level of competition factors in at all?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 11:05 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

They are also the #2 scoring offense. Lol.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 11:09 PM
The NCAA also has Mercer as the #1 total D in the country, and the #2 scoring offense. Lol. Do you think level of competition factors in at all?

I have no idea what you're getting? Are you now saying FU has played a weak schedule? Are not a good team? Should have scored 70 instead of 50 to show their "superiority"? Or nothing can be done to impress you?

clenz
October 5th, 2013, 11:11 PM

I don't know if uni or ndsu could beat them...based on the offense I saw today.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 11:12 PM
I have no idea what you're getting? Are you now saying FU has played a weak schedule? Are not a good team? Should have scored 70 instead of 50 to show their "superiority"? Or nothing can be done to impress you?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?142662-Fordham-is-damned-good&p=2023599&viewfull=1#post2023599

lol you are playing dumb on purpose, yes?

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 11:13 PM
I don't know if uni or ndsu could beat them...based on the offense I saw today.

First playoff berth out of the PFL will be the #1 seed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 11:16 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?142662-Fordham-is-damned-good&p=2023599&viewfull=1#post2023599

lol you are playing dumb on purpose, yes?

I'm sorry man but you lost me. Maybe someone can help me out. All I'm saying is no one is claiming Fordham to be the greatest at anything. They have a really good team that is led by a really good offense. I'm not trying to be sarcastic an anyway...

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 11:19 PM
I'm sorry man but you lost me. Maybe someone can help me out. All I'm saying is no one is claiming Fordham to be the greatest at anything. They have a really good team that is led by a really good offense. I'm not trying to be sarcastic an anyway...

I think you are ignoring what rob said "Top 15 total scoring offense isn't bad no matter how you want to spin it". I am showing that Mercer is the #1 total d in the country and the #2 scoring offense in the country.

How those stats are complied and against what kind of squads matters very much. If you click the link you could pretty easily see the quote.

robsnotes4u
October 5th, 2013, 11:21 PM

Come on you can do better than that. Don't be so weak, make us cry? When your done go ahead and list all the top #25 teams that you put over 50 points on this year, and after that all the teams you defeated 65-3. When you are done with that go get all their rankings.

Go on now get your homework done.

robsnotes4u
October 5th, 2013, 11:23 PM

That is all I said in the beginning is I was impressed. I like the offense they run. The offense that I want to see play a great defense is Towson.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Come on you can do better than that. Don't be so weak, make us cry? When your done go ahead and list all the top #25 teams that you put over 50 points on this year, and after that all the teams you defeated 65-3. When you are done with that go get all their rankings.

Go on now get your homework done.

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/3433/l9pt.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img820/9514/ha3.png

Lol. According to you, no matter how you spin it, Mercer is amazing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I think you are ignoring what rob said "Top 15 total scoring offense isn't bad no matter how you want to spin it". I am showing that Mercer is the #1 total d in the country and the #2 scoring offense in the country.

How those stats are complied and against what kind of squads matters very much. If you click the link you could pretty easily see the quote.

Fordham has a really good, Top 10-15 offense, as does Lehigh. They aren't the best no one is claiming that. They have the players and systems to succeed on that side of the ball. Defense is another story.

robsnotes4u
October 5th, 2013, 11:29 PM

Has NDSU started their 3rd string players against anyone, let alone score 65 points?Wow, you guys are better than everyone thinks. Can you get me that box score?

Maybe you should have two teams and they can play each other in Frisco

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Has NDSU started their 3rd string players against anyone, let alone score 65 points?Wow, you guys are better than everyone thinks. Can you get me that box score?

Maybe you should have two teams and they can play each other in Frisco

Every NEC/PL team we have played has sucked nuts. If you have followed FCS football for awhile you would know that.

Lafayette (42-6) Wagner (59-28, year that NDSU wins 3 games lol) RMU (52-0, 43-17 their playoff entrant) Lehigh (24-0 playoff entrant)

robsnotes4u
October 5th, 2013, 11:33 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img199/3433/l9pt.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img820/9514/ha3.png

Is your list in there, you must be using invisible ink.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Is your list in there, you must be using invisible ink.

k

robsnotes4u
October 5th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Fordham has a really good, Top 10-15 offense, as does Lehigh. They aren't the best no one is claiming that. They have the players and systems to succeed on that side of the ball. Defense is another story.

Thank you. It was a good game to watch.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Every NEC/PL team we have played has sucked nuts. If you have followed FCS football for awhile you would know that.

Lafayette (42-6) Wagner (59-28, year that NDSU wins 3 games lol) RMU (52-0, 43-17 their playoff entrant) Lehigh (24-0 playoff entrant)

You are now being ridiculous. It's like if you're not the greatest you're garbage. Lehigh in 2011 did not suck nuts. That's a ridiculous statement. NDSU just happened to be the best team in the country. Lehigh beat the CAA champ to get the opportunity to play you. You beat GSU even worse the next week. LU finished #5 and had the payton runner-up...

You have an axe to grind for some reason...

Twentysix
October 5th, 2013, 11:39 PM
You are now being ridiculous. It's like if you're not the greatest you're garbage. Lehigh in 2011 did not suck nuts. That's a ridiculous statement. NDSU just happened to be the best team in the country. Lehigh beat the CAA champ to get the opportunity to play you. You beat GSU even worse the next week. LU finished #5 and had the payton runner-up...

You have an axe to grind for some reason...

I'm not even talking to you except for when you are specifically addressed.

He explicitly asked for examples.

It's like when you play teams with bad or really bad defenses your offensive statistics get inflated. Crazy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 5th, 2013, 11:46 PM

It's like when you play teams with bad or really bad defenses your offensive statistics get inflated. Crazy.

Koonce was a preseason AA by a lot of people. Ajala is an extremely talented WR,
Nebrich transferred from UConn. He was named Mr. Va Football coming out of HS. He's a very talented player. These are good offenses because of their players and coaches. Unstoppable, no. But it will take a NDSU, UNI type D to shut them down.

Fordham is a lot like EWU imo. Lehigh similar but not quite as good, next step down. LU can win a game and be a headache to the right top 10 team in the playoffs, quarters at best. FU can make a legit run if bracket breaks right.

robsnotes4u
October 5th, 2013, 11:51 PM

Someone gives a compliment to another team and it ruffles your feathers. Come on you are #1, don't be "that guy"

Engineer86
October 6th, 2013, 07:59 AM

So based on this post every team in the playoffs in 2011 "sucked nuts" LU's performance in that game wa on par with every other team you played in the playoffs. And all those teams were missing an all-American?

Come on man, be careful you might fall off you high horse.

Kramden
October 6th, 2013, 08:02 AM
[QUOTE=robsnotes4u;2023656]Someone gives a compliment to another team and it ruffles your feathers. Come on you are #1, don't be "that guy"

I am still trying to understand why a fan of NDSU spends so much time on a board for Patriot League teams. Is life really that boring out there?

Neighbor2
October 6th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Twentysix-

You are absolutely obsessed with belittling Lehigh and the rest of the Patriot League. Especially Lehigh. There's something going on here within your character. What's troubling you so much?

ace93
October 6th, 2013, 02:08 PM

Since when does "not bad" equal "amazing"?

Southsider
October 6th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Twentysix-

You are absolutely obsessed with belittling Lehigh and the rest of the Patriot League. Especially Lehigh. There's something going on here within your character. What's troubling you so much?

He must be related to Citdog!

Go...gate
October 6th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Nice win by the Rams against a damned good team.

kdinva
October 6th, 2013, 05:38 PM
If Fordham runs the table (in the PL at least), and if I were the Prez and A.D., I'd get P.L. 2013 championship rings, plaques, et al, made up and distributed, regardless what the Patriot Commish thinks.

RichH2
October 6th, 2013, 05:47 PM
If Fordham runs the table (in the PL at least), and if I were the Prez and A.D., I'd get P.L. 2013 championship rings, plaques, et al, made up and distributed, regardless what the Patriot Commish thinks.

Rings and the likeare a good idea. team deserves something like that

Go...gate
October 6th, 2013, 06:43 PM

Wholeheartedly agree......

Engineer86
October 6th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Wholeheartedly agree......

I think most PL agree as well

Pards Rule
October 6th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Twentysix-

I HAVE spent time out there for that 42-6 game (TD missed PAT). I found nearly everyone to be enamored of their team but not churlish. They are good folks and I still retain friendships with some from that trip. In fact just tailgated with a NDSU guy at the Pard game Saturday. Im confused as to the basis of the argument?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2013, 01:16 AM
My recap:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-bronx-cheers-as-mountain-hawks-fall.html

Sunday Word:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/10/lehighs-day-of-busted-pride-one-to.html

smallcollegefbfan
October 7th, 2013, 01:45 AM

I think you have quite the offense. There are 3 or 4 players who could carry you to the round of 8 with the right draw this year. Defense does need some work though.

Lehigh is a top 20 team but I'm not sure either team are top 10 yet. I'd like to see Fordham run the table through the rest of the Patriot League before I put them in the top 8. You guys are certainly much improved and I would say whatever you do this year that 2014 should be better with all the legit juniors you have.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I think you have quite the offense. There are 3 or 4 players who could carry you to the round of 8 with the right draw this year. Defense does need some work though.

Lehigh is a top 20 team but I'm not sure either team are top 10 yet. I'd like to see Fordham run the table through the rest of the Patriot League before I put them in the top 8. You guys are certainly much improved and I would say whatever you do this year that 2014 should be better with all the legit juniors you have.

I too was frightened about the number of times I had to type in "junior" next to Fordham players.

CFBfan
October 7th, 2013, 09:32 AM

LU is NOT a top 20 team, not even a top 25.....they lost by 18 points to the only decent team they've played this year!!!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2013, 10:16 AM
LU is NOT a top 20 team, not even a top 25.....they lost by 18 points to the only decent team they've played this year!!!!!

By using that criteria you can only rank about 10 teams this week. Look at what teams from #12-25 are doing each week....

BTW, Princeton is at the very least "decent".

CFBfan
October 7th, 2013, 10:20 AM
By using that criteria you can only rank about 10 teams this week. Look at what teams from #12-25 are doing each week....

BTW, Princeton is at the very least "decent".

12 - 25 play better schedules than LU does

Twentysix
October 7th, 2013, 10:21 AM
What makes Princeton at least decent? Two wins over 1-7 collective record? Playing Lehigh close?

If Princeton is what justifies Lehigh, how can Lehigh be what justifies Princeton?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2013, 10:22 AM
12 - 25 play better schedules than LU does

LOL, without even knowing those teams? You're just using a blanket statement? I give up....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 7th, 2013, 10:24 AM
What makes Princeton at least decent? Two wins over 1-7 collective record? Playing Lehigh close?

If Princeton is what justifies Lehigh, how can Lehigh be what justifies Princeton?

The players and coaches make the team.

I can't deal with this, done with thread....

Bill
October 7th, 2013, 10:26 AM
My two cents:

I've (via TV only) seen Lehigh 3x this year...and we're not a top 25 team. Close, though. Don't need to get into specific details here, but we still don't have the depth and athleticism to really call ourselves top 20. We have the talent & coaching to hang with the top schools in spots - but there's no way we can hang with full scholarship schools week in and week out. Yes, we beat UNH this year....yes, we usually beat a scholarship school (or give them a scare) every year, but we are not subjected to it every week. The full scholarship version of Fordham is NOT on the menu every week - for now.

I, for one, look forward to what the league looks like once we get 3 more years of scholarship players. But for now, we still sit on the fringe!

RichH2
October 7th, 2013, 10:27 AM
CFB you reallyshould take a gander at those scheds. Dont assume that just because most are weather vane schools they are better.

RichH2
October 7th, 2013, 10:29 AM
My two cents:

I've (via TV only) seen Lehigh 3x this year...and we're not a top 25 team. Close, though. Don't need to get into specific details here, but we still don't have the depth and athleticism to really call ourselves top 20. We have the talent & coaching to hang with the top schools in spots - but there's no way we can hang with full scholarship schools week in and week out. Yes, we beat UNH this year....yes, we usually beat a scholarship school (or give them a scare) every year, but we are not subjected to it every week. The full scholarship version of Fordham is NOT on the menu every week - for now.

I, for one, look forward to what the league looks like once we get 3 more years of scholarship players. But for now, we still sit on the fringe!

Yup, dont forget thisnext class lastone capped at 15. No limit year after up to 60

Kramer
October 7th, 2013, 04:17 PM
My two cents:

Totally agree with all of this. The future is very bright in Bethlehem.

Engineer86
October 7th, 2013, 05:29 PM

Spin it however you want, it is not worth arguing with you. Most that watched the game would differ with your opinion based on the poll

Southsider
October 7th, 2013, 07:53 PM
LOL, without even knowing those teams? You're just using a blanket statement? I give up....

Owl, why do you, and others, get into pis***g contests with these people. Citdog, Twentysix, CFBFan, dont know squat. All the back and forth on this board means diddly. Get into the playoffs, and everything takes care of itself. And, even if you don't make it, season can still be successful. This crap has gotten way out of control. Hell, even P4L has come around.......a little!

heath
October 7th, 2013, 08:04 PM
My two cents:

xlolxxlolx Gotta love a guy that gives such an in depth opinion based upon his TV screen........YOU have got to be kidding me. Turn the set OFF and take your lazy butt to a game this season. FWIW,...........your not the only one that does this crapxnodx

ngineer
October 7th, 2013, 08:18 PM
There were 156 plays run between Fordham and Lehigh, and it came down to three critical plays. The inexcusable TD pass 20 seconds before the half. The fumbled punt giving the Rams the ball at our 15 and two minutes later, throwing the INT in Ram territory. Despite the fact we gave up a ton of yardage, the game was winnable. The effort was there, the execution was not. Fordham is legit top 10 ( I ranked them #7). I am satisfied where we are in the polls as the rest of the season will take care of what we are.

Bill
October 7th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Heath

I have to ask - what is so inaccurate about my post?

My comments about the team's talent reflect what I have seen this year via TV and my experiences at Lehigh as part of the football program.

As for my supposedly lazy butt, how do you know what I am doing on the weekends? Do you work weekends? Do you have children? Are you involved in their lives?

Once again, what is so in-depth about this analysis that can't be discerned from the TV?

RichH2
October 7th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Heath

I have to ask - what is so inaccurate about my post?

My comments about the team's talent reflect what I have seen this year via TV and my experiences at Lehigh as part of the football program.

As for my supposedly lazy butt, how do you know what I am doing on the weekends? Do you work weekends? Do you have children? Are you involved in their lives?

Once again, what is so in-depth about this analysis that can't be discerned from the TV?
Well said Bill. Heath is just very impressed with himself. We mostly disregard his opinions. He gets off trolling PL threads.
Agree LUs talent level,if not experience,is quite goodGreat depth at WR,OL and LB Lots of bodies aaat Dbbut not mucg coordination.Not all of that is inexperience or talent.Very confused on DL rotation.ie there basically is none.

MplsBison
October 7th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Agreed--I'm excited to see how the schollie-fueled PL develops in the coming years...

Scholarships obviously will help, but the truly scary thing would be what if the PL took the correct position of allowing the individual schools to choose for themselves what caliber of academic student athletes they are willing to admit. Such freedom is enjoyed by schools like Stanford and Northwestern, neither of which has had their academic reputation ruined a single iota by having top 25 teams in the nation (top 5 for Stanford).

DFW HOYA
October 8th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Scholarships obviously will help, but the truly scary thing would be what if the PL took the correct position of allowing the individual schools to choose for themselves what caliber of academic student athletes they are willing to admit. Such freedom is enjoyed by schools like Stanford and Northwestern, neither of which has had their academic reputation ruined a single iota by having top 25 teams in the nation (top 5 for Stanford).

Absolutely. But the Ivy...er, Patriot Index should be considered for what it truly is intended to be--a competitive firewall.

CFBfan
October 8th, 2013, 07:55 AM
My two cents:

i agree bill

CFBfan
October 8th, 2013, 07:55 AM
CFB you reallyshould take a gander at those scheds. Dont assume that just because most are weather vane schools they are better.

for the most part i have rich, i agree will bill's post right before yours.....

Fordhamanhattan
October 8th, 2013, 08:06 AM
What were Allen Iverson or that thug who played with Patrick Ewing's college boards. Hoya Saxa, its coming out of your ears. Prepare for Saturday.

MplsBison
October 8th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Absolutely. But the Ivy...er, Patriot Index should be considered for what it truly is intended to be--a competitive firewall.

But why would a conference purposefully hamstring its own teams' competitiveness by "protecting" them from something that would do none of the schools any harm?

ngineer
October 8th, 2013, 10:47 PM
On the contrary, it does do the school harm. The PL entire existence is premised on the athletes being students and not simply paid mercenaries. To the general populace, admitting a 'couple hundred' meatheads who can only run, jump or throw may not change their casual view of a school. To those who are not so casual in their evaluation of an institution, it matters. Moreover, we know that we are competing for a league title against other schools who are playing by the same set of rules. We do not need to 'dumb down' to be excellent.

CFBfan
October 9th, 2013, 07:55 AM
espn ran a nice segment on northwestern and stanford highlighting their academics.....i don't think they have an AI !!

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 08:17 AM
espn ran a nice segment on northwestern and stanford highlighting their academics.....i don't think they have an AI !!

A bit disengenuous,CFB.While I'm not a big fan of the AI,I do recognize the rationale behind it ,to provide an even playing field among equivalent schools. Neither Pac nor Big 10 are remotely comparable. May well be that both would love an AI most of their conference will admit recruits that neither could admit. I would rather that PL leave admissions up to each school as long as all recruits fall within the parameters of each entering class. No doubt Fordham would have a slight advantage but to me that is the nature of life ,not everything is equal.The real difference between PL and FBS conferences is not only academics but the sheer size of the schools.

kalm
October 9th, 2013, 08:26 AM
On the contrary, it does do the school harm. The PL entire existence is premised on the athletes being students and not simply paid mercenaries. To the general populace, admitting a 'couple hundred' meatheads who can only run, jump or throw may not change their casual view of a school. To those who are not so casual in their evaluation of an institution, it matters. Moreover, we know that we are competing for a league title against other schools who are playing by the same set of rules. We do not need to 'dumb down' to be excellent.

Wow...elitism much?

Kudo's for academics, and I hate to break this to ya, but schools outside the PL take academics seriously as well.

EWU's weekly coaches show interviews a couple of players. Sometimes, these players are the first in their family to ever go to college. Taking a disadvantaged kid and coaching them up, not only on the field, but in the classroom to the point where they earn a degree and are given a chance to succeed in life is every bit as impressive as academic success with a group of kids that were already doing well to begin with. That's not to say we don't have our Academic AA's and kids that move on to post-grad work at the Ivy's because we do, but the overcoming-the-odds story of these "mercenaries" is what's really great.

It's post like yours that make me seriously question the smarts of supposed "elite schools."

As I mentioned in another thread, Fordham is having a good year, but their best wins are gonna very likely end up being a 4 or 5 loss Villanova or a currently 0-5 Temple that lost to Idaho...IDAHO.

As schollies increase, the PL has a chance to become a power conference. But it will take time. Until then, you need to consider your history in the playoffs, your SOS, and look outside the bubble once in awhile.

CFBfan
October 9th, 2013, 08:29 AM
A bit disengenuous,CFB.While I'm not a big fan of the AI,I do recognize the rationale behind it ,to provide an even playing field among equivalent schools. Neither Pac nor Big 10 are remotely comparable. May well be that both would love an AI most of their conference will admit recruits that neither could admit. I would rather that PL leave admissions up to each school as long as all recruits fall within the parameters of each entering class. No doubt Fordham would have a slight advantage but to me that is the nature of life ,not everything is equal.The real difference between PL and FBS conferences is not only academics but the sheer size of the schools.

yes, i agree with you rich. the difference is a univ holding to it's standards as opposed to an entire league

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 08:52 AM

If the moral victory title is so important to you, why do you scream so much when Lehigh doesn't get into the playoffs with the "dumb" schools? Why do you even want to slum it with the public school kids anyway?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Excuse me... what? Where exactly did ng say that EWU and NDSU are graduating meatheads?

kalm
October 9th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Excuse me... what? Where exactly did ng say that EWU and NDSU are graduating meatheads?

Oh...he must have been talking about someone else. Who was it?

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 10:35 AM
"elitism" , not at all. PL schools are all very highly rated academic institutions. So the academic limits are already present for each school. The AI does not change that,it puts a floor below which recruited football players cannot play. I believe that s/b left to each school, An effort to maintain competitive balance inside the PL.

MplsBison
October 9th, 2013, 10:40 AM

Neither Lehigh nor any school in the PL is better academically (either in reputation or in actual performance) than Stanford or Northwestern.

Therefore, your argument must be false.

You used to then be able to come back with "but those schools suck at football". Not so anymore.

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 10:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLnhuzh9uY

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Neither Lehigh nor any school in the PL is better academically (either in reputation or in actual performance) than Stanford or Northwestern.

You used to then be able to come back with "but those schools suck at football". Not so anymore.

Hell, even throw public schools in the mix. Michigan, Ohio State, Cal-Berkeley all have high academic achievement and research facilities. Falling back on academics on a Football message board is kind of weak.

Reminds me of James Caan in "The Program" - "Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment?"

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 10:49 AM

Doesn't every school have an "AI"? Even if it is not "official"? There's kids that ND simply won't accept. Same with Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Duke etc....

Holtz went to war with the ND President and AD over this.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Hell, even throw public schools in the mix. Michigan, Ohio State, Cal-Berkeley all have high academic achievement and research facilities. Falling back on academics on a Football message board is kind of weak.

Reminds me of James Caan in "The Program" - "Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment?"

LU's and CU's football success has been better than Stanford and Northwestern relative to their peers, FCS vs FBS.

I think the PL has done a great job meshing the two. I'm obviously not a PL grad. Nor did I ever really aspire to be.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 11:05 AM
LU's and CU's football success has been better than Stanford and Northwestern relative to their peers, FCS vs FBS.

I think the PL has done a great job meshing the two. I'm obviously not a PL grad. Nor did I ever really aspire to be.

Except you say PL when you are really only talking about Lehigh, Colgate, and now Fordham. Nobody else comes close in football.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Except you say PL when you are really only talking about Lehigh, Colgate, and now Fordham. Nobody else comes close in football.

But for the ND's, Stanford's and Northwestern's there's Duke, Rice, Tulane, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt. It's all relative. FCS has Lehigh, Colgate, Harvard, Penn, Richmond etc to carry the banner...

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 11:16 AM
But for the ND's, Stanford's and Northwestern's there's Duke, Rice, Tulane, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt. It's all relative. FCS has Lehigh, Colgate, Harvard, Penn, Richmond etc to carry the banner...

I'm still trying to determine why any of this matters to a football community.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I'm still trying to determine why any of this matters to a football community.

It has forever and will continue to do so.

kalm
October 9th, 2013, 11:32 AM
It has forever and will continue to do so.

Just like it does to non PL schools.

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Just like it does to non PL schools.

Some,not all non PL schools

kalm
October 9th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Some,not all non PL schools

Which ones?

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Which ones?

Well,I would look at the schools with bottom grad rates that are lower than those forgeneral student population. Think you will be surprised. Altho, if I recal correctly,worst offenders were FBS schools not FCS

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 12:10 PM
So the thesis of this conversation has been, in essence, Fordham is good. If you don't think Fordham is truly good, we're still smarter.

Same tired PL nonsense.

Lehigh'98
October 9th, 2013, 12:14 PM
If Lehigh and the rest of the league had the student population and/or market area of a Stanford or Northwestern, it would make all the sense in the world to eliminate the AI and make a boatload of $$ with a great football team. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Lehigh will never draw 50,000 to a game. The best they could hope for would be a dominant FCS team (which I wouldn't mind but I'm sure many others might).

DFW HOYA
October 9th, 2013, 12:25 PM
If Lehigh and the rest of the league had the student population and/or market area of a Stanford or Northwestern, it would make all the sense in the world to eliminate the AI and make a boatload of $$ with a great football team. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Both Georgetown and Fordham have more undergraduates than Stanford and in a comparable (or larger) media market. Neither seem motivated to aspire to this level, though if Fordham keeps winning, someone will half-seriously suggest it before too long.

Lehigh'98
October 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Both Georgetown and Fordham have more undergraduates than Stanford and in a comparable (or larger) media market.

Well, there goes that theory then....

Grizalltheway
October 9th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Seriously? Stanford is a national title contender at the FBS level. Lehigh, not so much.

kalm
October 9th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Well,I would look at the schools with bottom grad rates that are lower than those forgeneral student population. Think you will be surprised. Altho, if I recal correctly,worst offenders were FBS schools not FCS

Some schools have higher graduation rates than others. Doesn't mean academics doesn't matter.

FTR, EWU football has a higher graduation rate then the general student body. How about you guys?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Seriously? Stanford is a national title contender at the FBS level. Lehigh, not so much.

Colgate and Lehigh have played for a national title at their respective divisions in the last 40 years, Stanford has not. Final poll rankings, All-Americans, winning % would be pretty interesting...

Lehigh'98
October 9th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Colgate and Lehigh have played for a national title at their respective divisions in the last 40 years, Stanford has not. Final poll rankings, All-Americans, winning % would be pretty interesting...

Pretty big reach there Owl. The avg guy knows about Stanford, they don't realize LU has a team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Pretty big reach there Owl. The avg guy knows about Stanford, they don't realize LU has a team.

I'm was comparing their success relative to FCS and FBS. Lehigh has outperformed Stanford and especially Northwestern in that regard.

CFBfan
October 9th, 2013, 01:19 PM

now that's a bad one, c'mon!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 01:33 PM
now that's a bad one, c'mon!

I'd wager money that if TSN made a list of the Top FCS programs over the last 40 years both Lehigh and Colgate would be included. If they did the same thing for FBS Stanford would not be on it.....

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I'd wager money that if TSN made a list of the Top FCS programs over the last 40 years both Lehigh and Colgate would be included. If they did the same thing for FBS Stanford would not be on it.....

FCS hasn't even been around for 40 years......

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 01:37 PM

Top how many? 100? 50?

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Some schools have higher graduation rates than others. Doesn't mean academics doesn't matter.

FTR, EWU football has a higher graduation rate then the general student body. How about you guys?

Not picking on EWU.Just responding to your comments.Other than football know little about EWU.If your commnts were only directed towards EWU,should have specified that. Otherwise, I am speaking to the essential conceptual difference between PL and other FCS confetences. Not tryining to start a p*ssing contest as to whether one school better than another.

Lehigh'98
October 9th, 2013, 02:06 PM

With this argument, Mount Union would be the most successful football program in the country, but no one knows who they even are. Big fish, small pond < medium fish, giant pond

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 02:16 PM
With this argument, Mount Union would be the most successful football program in the country, but no one knows who they even are. Big fish, small pond < medium fish, giant pond

You're missing the point. In no way am I saying that Lehigh is a better program than Stanford in the truest sense. Mt. Union has been a helluva lot better program than Stanford, likewise Georgia Southern, Valdosta State (Titletown USA) etc. Those programs stack up much better with their PEERS than Stanford. The Cardinal would be the 5th or 6th most successful PAC 12 program.

Outside of Notre Dame, small, private, academically focused schools have done better in FCS than in FBS the last 35-40 years. Richmond and Villanova have won titles recently. The last private school to win a FBS title is Miami. Good school, not elite....

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 02:19 PM
You're missing the point. In no way am I saying that Lehigh is a better program than Stanford in the truest sense. Mt. Union has been a helluva lot better program than Stanford, likewise Georgia Southern. Those programs stack up much better with their PEERS than Stanford. The Cardinal would be the 5th or 6th most successful PAC 12 program.

Lehigh has an all time winning percentage of .533 650 wins

Stanford has an all time winning percentage of .596 688 wins playing much higher competition and with 8 fewer years.

Just because your peers aren't any good, doesn't make you successful.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Lehigh has an all time winning percentage of .533 650 wins

Stanford has an all time winning percentage of .596 688 wins playing much higher competition and with 8 fewer years.

Just because your peers aren't any good, doesn't make you successful.

Which is why I consistently said the last 35-40 years, or the FCS era, when there's been a more defined "tiering" in college football.

You're right, Lehigh's peers; NDSU, Idaho State, URI, Furman, SHSU, Bryant, Harvard, Montana, Delaware etc are no where near as good as Alabama, Oregon, Oklahoma, ND etc. However, why you claim that NDSU or anyone in FCS ( or D2, D3) is not successful is beyond me.

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Really , this thread reads like a summer "we have nothing better to post about" thread. I dont understand the animus towards Lehigh or the PL We are what we are and dont think any of us are claiming tobe anything else. We are optimistic for the future with schollies . Likewise we are proud of what we accomplished w/o them.For some reason this drives westerners crazy. Dont recall ever kicking about NDSU or EWU posting about how proud they were of their team's success. Do wonder why y'all feel compelled to do so with us. Well,your problem

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Which is why I consistently said the last 35-40 years, or the FCS era, when there's been a more defined "tiering" in college football.

You're right, Lehigh's peers; NDSU, Idaho State, URI, Furman, SHSU, Bryant, Harvard, Montana, Delaware etc are no where near as good as Alabama, Oregon, Oklahoma, ND etc. However, why you claim that NDSU or anyone in FCS ( or D2, D3) is not successful is beyond me.

So you assign an arbitrary restriction of time frame but discount the level of competition?

Sounds like a Lehigh argument.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Fordham is damned good :P

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 02:48 PM

Good, that's what this thread should be about anyway.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 02:51 PM
So you assign an arbitrary restriction of time frame but discount the level of competition?

Sounds like a Lehigh argument.

It has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LEVEL OF COMPETITION!!! How is using the start of FCS an "arbitrary time frame"? That's a pretty big line of demarcation imo. It has to do with being a successful, winning program AND being a great school academically relative to your peers. Northwestern and Stanford was the examples used. This is how this topic started.

You really don't think NDSU is a successful program because they played in D2 and FCS?

Lehigh, Colgate, Furman, Villanova and Richmond have been very successful balancing the two imo. ND in the only FBS program the has done it at a very high level year after year (relatively speaking). Certainly not Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Duke, Tulane etc....

PAllen
October 9th, 2013, 02:55 PM

I whole heartedly disagree. Fordham is a damned bit better than above average! :D

If we're going to have meaningless pissing contests...

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 02:58 PM
It has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LEVEL OF COMPETITION!!! It has to do with being a successful, winning program AND being a great school academically relative to your peers. Northwestern and Stanford was the examples used. This is how this topic started.

You really don't think NDSU is a successful program because they played in D2 and FCS?

Lehigh, Colgate, Furman, Villanova and Richmond have been very successful balancing the two imo. ND in the only FBS program the has done it at a very high level year after year (relatively speaking). Certainly not Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Duke, Tulane etc....

NDSU is a successful program because they have risen to the top of every division in which they played. Academically, I'm very happy with my education at NDSU and don't feel that I would have been enriched any more by going to a private school.

This is the elitism that was mentioned earlier.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 03:03 PM
NDSU is a successful program because they have risen to the top of every division in which they played. Academically, I'm very happy with my education at NDSU and don't feel that I would have been enriched any more by going to a private school.

And I'm very happy with my Temple education. BUT, I'd gladly trade it for a Wharton Business Degree xnodx

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 03:05 PM
And I'm very happy with my Temple education. BUT, I'd gladly trade it for a Wharton Business Degree xnodx

You and Donald Trump. Keep it.

hebmskebm
October 9th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Really , this thread reads like a summer "we have nothing better to post about" thread. I dont understand the animus towards Lehigh or the PL We are what we are and dont think any of us are claiming tobe anything else. We are optimistic for the future with schollies . Likewise we are proud of what we accomplished w/o them.For some reason this drives westerners crazy. Dont recall ever kicking about NDSU or EWU posting about how proud they were of their team's success. Do wonder why y'all feel compelled to do so with us. Well,your problem

I think a large part of the hostility the PL gets on this board from non-PL fans is because the amount of discussion the league and its teams get here is outsized compared to its actual present-day, on field accomplishments in FCS. Some people resent half the front page of AGS containing 15 page threads about the Patriot League when the league is maybe the 6th best at best in FCS. I say this not to bash the PL (I really like what I've seen from Fordham this year), but as a neutral observer.

Sader87
October 9th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I think a large part of the hostility the PL gets on this board from non-PL fans is because the amount of discussion the league and its teams get here is outsized compared to its actual present-day, on field accomplishments in FCS. Some people resent half the front page of AGS containing 15 page threads about the Patriot League when the league is maybe the 6th best at best in FCS. I say this not to bash the PL (I really like what I've seen from Fordham this year), but as a neutral observer.

I blame Lehigh.....xrotatehx

In all seriousness though, their own board isn't that active so I think Lehigh fans use this board as their de facto message board.

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 03:32 PM

Totally missed the point. All he is talking about is the emphasis of the PL as an academic first conference,not whether you cant get an excellent education at many other schools.I dont know how you and the EWU guy get that anyone is knocking those schools or any other for that matter. How is it elitist to be proud of one's school? I've reread this thread. No where do I see any knock on State schools or NDSU in particular. I'mglad you are proud of your school.Why cant we be proud of our school?

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Probably true about Lehigh and PL as we dont have a conference board.:) .That said,why the hostility? It is not a membership requirement of AGS that anyone read our threads, as erudite asthey usually arexrolleyesx

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Probably true about Lehigh and PL as we dont have a conference board.:) .That said,why the hostility? It is not a membership requirement of AGS that anyone read our threads, as erudite asthey usually arexrolleyesx

It's people hijacking the threads with their baseless rambling/trolling...

It's gotten ridiculous lately and I actually PM'd Ursus last week about it.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Totally missed the point. All he is talking about is the emphasis of the PL as an academic first conference,not whether you cant get an excellent education at many other schools.I dont know how you and the EWU guy get that anyone is knocking those schools or any other for that matter. How is it elitist to be proud of one's school? I've reread this thread. No where do I see any knock on State schools or NDSU in particular. I'mglad you are proud of your school.Why cant we be proud of our school?

The constant drumbeat of academic standards being a barrier to athletic success. The term "dumb down" and "meathead" being thrown around here are those to which I take umbrage.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2013, 03:41 PM

I see I'm still paying for only opening a Lehigh-specific message board instead of a PL-themed one. xlolx

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 03:43 PM
It's people hijacking the threads with their baseless rambling/trolling...

It's gotten ridiculous lately and I actually PM'd Ursus last week about it.

read......anyone who doesn't agree that le high is a top 10 team and that the patsy league is as good of a league top to bottom as the MVFC, CAA, SoCon etc....

they've even got their own TASS News Service......

how'd that pm go?

Sader87
October 9th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Really no need for a league specific board imo....I kind of like how we all meander every so often to each other's board now and again. It can get heated occasionally...but ultimately it's in good fun.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 03:46 PM
The constant drumbeat of academic standards being a barrier to athletic success. The term "dumb down" and "meathead" being thrown around here are those to which I take umbrage.

Who is making those claims? I've been trying to kill that myth as much as possible. In fact, I was using examples to prove it doesn't have to be an absolute barrier.

However, it's hard to dispute that mixing the two is difficult. Duke basketball and Notre Dame football are the benchmarks imo.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 03:47 PM
read......anyone who doesn't agree that le high is a top 10 team and that the patsy league is as good of a league top to bottom as the MVFC, CAA, SoCon etc....

they've even got their own TASS News Service......

how'd that pm go?

Honestly, who has EVER made these comments?!?!

From some reason when someone says that Lehigh is a "good program" or the PL is a "solid conference" people make get riled up. Those are very reasonable comments. No one is making those claims Citdog, no one. Yet we get attacked as if we do....

Sader87
October 9th, 2013, 03:49 PM
How many here know that Holy Cross was once invited to join the Big East?

DFW HOYA
October 9th, 2013, 03:54 PM
The last private school to win a FBS title is Miami. Good school, not elite....

Fight on...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_southern_california#Men.27s_sports

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Fight on...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_southern_california#Men.27s_sports

Wasn't sure what their status was because of Bush. I guess that title remains but the Heisman in '05 does not. Either way, they cheated like Miami....lol

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 03:57 PM
I see I'm still paying for only opening a Lehigh-specific message board instead of a PL-themed one. xlolx

xlolx I believe an I told you so fits here.;)

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Academic issues are ours,not yours. For years PL was told we couldn't compete because of those academic standards. Again nowhere in this thrad isthere a post referring to dumbing down or meatheads referring to your school . It is particularly PL isue as we want to compete nationally whereas the Ivies donot

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 04:09 PM

Academic issues are ours,not yours. For years PL was told we couldn't compete because of those academic standards. Again nowhere in this thrad isthere a post referring to dumbing down or meatheads referring to your school . It is particularly PL isue as we want to compete nationally whereas the Ivies donot

I'm curious as to what level "down" in "dumb down" is.

Twentysix
October 9th, 2013, 04:11 PM

RichH2's post speaks to the meathead comment lol, spelling level: ****tard.

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 04:18 PM

For us ,it is recruits that fall under the AI floor,which is what ngineer is referring to. The original argument was that Lehigh could not compete due to its academic standards and no merit aid. PLnow in process of going to 60,which will help. Academic standards remain. Many schools in FCS compete very well with equivalent academic standards , ie Wofford,W&M,Nova etc. I expect the PL will be able to also. How our issues are at all a slight against anyone else still escapes me.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 04:19 PM
RichH2's post speaks to the meathead comment lol, spelling level: ****tard.

Rhetorical gymnastics, to be sure. I mean, I only went to a public school but I do have a degree in communications and am married to a PhD in the same discipline.

"To be successful"? To whom do we refer when we talk about successful programs? EWU and NDSU would be in that group.

Dumb down to be successful can only mean one thing.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2013, 04:21 PM

I'm trying to find the words "EWU" and "NDSU" in ng's post, and I still can't find them.

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 04:22 PM
I'm trying to find the words "EWU" and "NDSU" in ng's post, and I still can't find them.

DUDE just FREAKING ADMIT that it was a poor choice of words and move the hell on!

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 04:24 PM

code words. As I said rhetorical gymnastics. Not as clever as you think.

Lehigh'98
October 9th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Somehow, it seems 75% of the threads on this board degrade into a Lehigh bashing with our fans defending us relentlessly. Frankly, we are a top 20 FCS program with a very good offense and bad defense. All we need to be concerned with is handling our business on the field and winning the league. As far as the negative viewpoints, who gives a damn. Let the team handle that with their on field play.

Twentysix
October 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Somehow, it seems 75% of the threads on this board degrade into a Lehigh bashing with our fans defending us relentlessly. Frankly, we are a top 20 FCS program with a very good offense and bad defense. All we need to be concerned with is handling our business on the field and winning the league. As far as the negative viewpoints, who gives a damn. Let the team handle that with their on field play.

And your players can sign their own names!

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM

Here's your answer. no you are not.

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 04:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m30mG3JKzA8

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 04:36 PM
code words. As I said rhetorical gymnastics. Not as clever as you think.

Paranoid a bit. Why ever would we be concerned with your academic standards. Wow, nothing we are talking about has anything to do with you

Lehigh'98
October 9th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I'm glad u have ur opinion and are more than welcome to it. I'll let the rest of the season answer the question. Good luck to The Citadel and NDSU.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I'm glad u have ur opinion and are more than welcome to it. I'll let the rest of the season answer the question. Good luck to The Citadel and NDSU.

Wait - these are code words for bad academics! xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 04:42 PM
We have to start a fund drive to get you guys your own board.

UNHWildcat18
October 9th, 2013, 04:55 PM

+1

Lehigh'98
October 9th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Send all funds to me directly and I'll handle it. $5 minimum please

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Lol Well you can always tell when a thread has devolved whem citdog an mpls show up. RIP

robsnotes4u
October 9th, 2013, 05:26 PM
There gave you a red back TwentySix, you don't like peoples opinions so you send them red rep. Guess I embarrassed you. Time to grow up, isn't it.For all the posts, that I see as stupid I have never gave our a red rep until today. It is stupid. Maybe we should all send posts to you and you can ok them first. By the looks of this thread, more people disagreed with you than me. You come on here and start a forum battle. This forum isn't about you, or the Bison, it was about Fordham. Doesn't hurt to give compliments, which is all I did in the beginning. I would probably guess you have never seen Fordham play. Doesn't matter.

Wait you didn't get on the person who started the thread, hmm must be personal. If you would like to apologize, I can stop by and have a beer at the next Bison tailgate, what is the location of your setup. We can talk football. You can give me **** about the Sioux, Cats, and Griz.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 05:46 PM
There gave you a red back TwentySix, you don't like peoples opinions so you send them red rep. Guess I embarrassed you. Time to grow up, isn't it.For all the posts, that I see as stupid I have never gave our a red rep until today. It is stupid. Maybe we should all send posts to you and you can ok them first. By the looks of this thread, more people disagreed with you than me. You come on here and start a forum battle. This forum isn't about you, or the Bison, it was about Fordham. Doesn't hurt to give compliments, which is all I did in the beginning. I would probably guess you have never seen Fordham play. Doesn't matter.

Wait you didn't get on the person who started the thread, hmm must be personal. If you would like to apologize, I can stop by and have a beer at the next Bison tailgate, what is the location of your setup. We can talk football. You can give me **** about the Sioux, Cats, and Griz.

http://images.wikia.com/mk/images/2/25/Anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

Engineer86
October 9th, 2013, 06:05 PM

What would you trolls do? The puppy would have to go back to that thread where someone has said Lehigh is a top 15 team, it sure is not in a thread posted by a Lehigh fan. And the NDSU fellas would have to find a thread where they could post that no one is as good as NDSU, oh wait, there are plenty of them. I guess only the puppy would be left out in the cold. Kind of like his team in December. xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 06:12 PM
What would you trolls do? The puppy would have to go back to that thread where someone has said Lehigh is a top 15 team, it sure is not in a thread posted by a Lehigh fan. And the NDSU fellas would have to find a thread where they could post that no one is as good as NDSU, oh wait, there are plenty of them. I guess only the puppy would be left out in the cold. Kind of like his team in December. xlolx

Trolls. I simply cannot abide bull****. I don't let bull**** from NDSU posters stand and I cannot let bull**** from Lehigh posters stand. I have to answer.

If that's being a troll...well it isn't so I don't have anything cute to say about it.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM
If anyone wants to troll the Lehigh Sports Forum and give that some traffic the URL is:

http://www.lehighsportsforum.com

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 06:24 PM

when y'all result to name calling and yankee elitism we know we've WON! still don't see how who someone roots for has one damn thing to do with how weak the patsy league is. when confronted with this fact your only response is "well The Citadel is no good".........that gentlemen is

http://www.civin.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/weak-sauce.jpg

Engineer86
October 9th, 2013, 06:36 PM
when y'all result to name calling and yankee elitism we know we've WON! still don't see how who someone roots for has one damn thing to do with how weak the patsy league is. when confronted with this fact your only response is "well The Citadel is no good".........that gentlemen is

http://www.civin.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/weak-sauce.jpg

"Name calling" .... "Patsy league"

Pointing out that your team has done nothing in almost 20 years, so all you do is sling, well "weak sauce" is "weak sauce" come up puppy if you bring the weak sauce be prepared to eat your serving.

Oh, and Fordham is pretty damn good team. Will they beat NDSU in Fargo, nope. Could they beat almost any other team on a good day, yep. Just like the PL playoff history has shown.

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM
"Name calling" .... "Patsy league"

Pointing out that your team has done nothing in almost 20 years, so all you do is sling, well "weak sauce" is "weak sauce" come up puppy if you bring the weak sauce be prepared to eat your serving.

Oh, and Fordham is pretty damn good team. Will they beat NDSU in Fargo, nope. Could they beat almost any other team on a good day, yep. Just like the PL playoff history has shown.

Fordham is an above average team. There is no doubt about that. Where they would finish in a good conference is debatable. That win over "synagogue" is looking less and less impressive with every game they play. Nothing is a relative term......we measure our teams AGAINST THE BEST........NOT GEORGETOWN, NOT CENTRAL CONN, NOT PRINCETON. There is the difference between us.

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 06:51 PM
and so it continues xsighxxsmhx

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 06:56 PM
and so it continues xsighxxsmhx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ047Uon00Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Why the Mods allow this to continue is beyond me. AGS is being ruined by this stupidity....

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 07:00 PM
http://womenofhr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/moms-skirts.jpg

Lehigh'98
October 9th, 2013, 07:02 PM
We bow to thee mighty Citadel and our old friend Higgy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 07:07 PM
if the mods won't protect your "feminine sensibilities" perhaps the below is a safe place for you.......

http://womenofhr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/moms-skirts.jpg

Another ignorant post....

why do you harass and belittle people on here? honest question? what do you get out of it? I'm too serious of a person and have too much respect for myself to do it....

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 07:10 PM
citdog

Over the line.Personal insults never funny.

Lehigh'98
October 9th, 2013, 07:15 PM
He does it because it seems to be having an effect on you, just chuckle at the weak sauce and let him have his fun.

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Another ignorant post....

why do you harass and belittle people on here? honest question? what do you get out of it? I'm too serious of a person and have too much respect for myself to do it....

http://www.thequotefactory.com/irep/en/8/8H4S44AV9E6V_FNK9U_TS_L_LS.jpg

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 07:23 PM
citdog

Over the line.Personal insults never funny.

and begging the mods to rescue you in a debate where the FACTS are all against you is manly behavior to be admired........makes me wonder HOW we ever lost a War to you people......

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I still can't see where he said anything offensive. Believe me, when he WANTS to be offensive, he can be.

The mods will not interfere with a thread just because people disagree

Engineer86
October 9th, 2013, 07:30 PM
and begging the mods to rescue you in a debate where the FACTS are all against you is manly behavior to be admired........makes me wonder HOW we ever lost a War to you people......

FACTS, come on now, we know that is something you don't let get in the way of your opinions and your fun. I will give you credit, you help get rid of the boredom, but real opinions on football worthy of time?xsmhx

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 07:47 PM

Not saying he was right either , but personal insults are not funny or appropriate

Go...gate
October 9th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Sounds like we all need Saturday to hurry up and get here.

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I still can't see where he said anything offensive. Believe me, when he WANTS to be offensive, he can be.

The mods will not interfere with a thread just because people disagree
That he can be more offensive does not excuse personal attacks,whether you think them offensive or not.

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 07:51 PM
That he can be more offensive does not excuse personal attacks,whether you think them offensive or not.

what le high posters seem to need on a monthly basis........

http://www.globalpackagegallery.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=52134&g2_serialNumber=3

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 07:51 PM

Where was the personal attack? Calling out the poster who mooed for a mod? He was right.

Sader87
October 9th, 2013, 07:53 PM
makes me wonder HOW we ever lost a War to you people......

We had more people, more weapons and more choo choo trains.

Pard4Life
October 9th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Clicked on this thread for the first time in a few days... and knew it wasn't going to be about Fordham... yep...

Sader87
October 9th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Clicked on this thread for the first time in a few days... and knew it wasn't going to be about Fordham... yep...

A PL thread here staying on topic??? Whaddaya nuts??? xlolx

Pard4Life
October 9th, 2013, 08:00 PM
A PL thread here staying on topic??? Whaddaya nuts??? xlolx

Hope and change kinda rubbed off on me...

LehighU11
October 9th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I got bored a few pages ago. Were people quarreling over historical football success or academic reputation last?

Since I know everyone here loves rankings and pissing contests...Unless you want to refer to an arbitrary rankings system, I'll gladly (and tactlessly!) use this statistical measure (http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report-2014/full-list-of-schools) for PL institutions' performance of their graduates. Colgate, Lehigh, Holy Cross, Lafayette, and Bucknell are all well ahead of Northwestern. Navy and Army, too.

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 08:02 PM
;) No,standard operating procedure for a PL thread.We were even blessed with a citdog troll show. xrolleyesx

Lehigh'98
October 9th, 2013, 08:03 PM

Shocking right?? I predict we eclipse 300with no more than 5 being about Fordham.

ngineer
October 9th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Wow...elitism much?

Kudo's for academics, and I hate to break this to ya, but schools outside the PL take academics seriously as well.

EWU's weekly coaches show interviews a couple of players. Sometimes, these players are the first in their family to ever go to college. Taking a disadvantaged kid and coaching them up, not only on the field, but in the classroom to the point where they earn a degree and are given a chance to succeed in life is every bit as impressive as academic success with a group of kids that were already doing well to begin with. That's not to say we don't have our Academic AA's and kids that move on to post-grad work at the Ivy's because we do, but the overcoming-the-odds story of these "mercenaries" is what's really great.

It's post like yours that make me seriously question the smarts of supposed "elite schools."

As I mentioned in another thread, Fordham is having a good year, but their best wins are gonna very likely end up being a 4 or 5 loss Villanova or a currently 0-5 Temple that lost to Idaho...IDAHO.

As schollies increase, the PL has a chance to become a power conference. But it will take time. Until then, you need to consider your history in the playoffs, your SOS, and look outside the bubble once in awhile.

You may see it as 'elitism'. We see it simply as maintaining our current standards. The PL model requires members to admit only those athletes that fall within an agreed upon standard deviation from that school's incoming class. While there are other criteria, very generally, if a school's incoming SAT average is 1350, then there is a formula that allows an incoming athlete to be admitted so long as his SAT is no lower than, say 1150 or 1250 (that's just an example of the process, not a real known number to me). Schools like Stanford and Northwestern swim in a different fishbowl and need to play to a more national audience. I also think it great that other schools are able to provide opportunities to kids who would typically not have such academic opportunity. However, too many of these kids are taken advantage of, used and given very little 'education' that will benefit them in the real world. The numerous examples coming out of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State over years past are just two schools that have chewed up and spit out so many young men. And these are schools that even have a number of majors wherein an athlete can 'hide' for four/five years. I believe if the NCAA were truly interested in the 'student'-athlete, it would only allow teams to go to bowl games and enter national playoffs if their academic progress met a certain threshold.

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 08:07 PM
makes me wonder HOW we ever lost a War to you people......

We had more people, more weapons and more choo choo trains.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/31819/31819-h/images/imagep033.jpg

When the South raised its sword against the Union’s Flag, it was in defense of the Union’s Constitution.”
General John B. Gordon

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I got bored a few pages ago. Were people quarreling over historical football success or academic reputation last?

Since I know everyone here loves rankings and pissing contests...Unless you want to refer to an arbitrary rankings system, I'll gladly (and tactlessly!) use this statistical measure (http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report-2014/full-list-of-schools) for PL institutions' performance of their graduates. Colgate, Lehigh, Holy Cross, Lafayette, and Bucknell are all well ahead of Northwestern. hudson high, and canoe u too.

fify

Engineer86
October 9th, 2013, 08:23 PM
what le high posters seem to need on a monthly basis........

http://www.globalpackagegallery.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=52134&g2_serialNumber=3

Finished your shopping I see, but did you really need both boxes? Rough month for ya?

ngineer
October 9th, 2013, 08:28 PM

Wow, sorry I stirred up such a hornet's nest. My reference to 'dumbing down' was in response to someone's contention that it 'does no harm' to a school to admit a number of athletes who really can't meet the academic rigors. It's done a lot at the football factories in the SEC, Big Ten, etc. and many schools with enrollments of 25,000-45,000 where a couple hundred kids who are a miniscule percentage. The PL schools have quite small enrollments and there are very few courses where an academically deficient athlete can hide. It is our world and the academic index provides a fairly level playing field among the league schools. My response was that the schools of the PL would be harmed by lowering their admission requirements. When the average SAT of the incoming class is 1350, admitting a kid with only an 800 does nothing for the athlete or the school as he will flunk out after the first semester. People can get great educations at all of the state universities if they can take advantage of the opportunities that are there.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Wow, sorry I stirred up such a hornet's nest. My reference to 'dumbing down' was in response to someone's contention that it 'does no harm' to a school to admit a number of athletes who really can't meet the academic rigors. It's done a lot at the football factories in the SEC, Big Ten, etc. and many schools with enrollments of 25,000-45,000 where a couple hundred kids who are a miniscule percentage. The PL schools have quite small enrollments and there are very few courses where an academically deficient athlete can hide. It is our world and the academic index provides a fairly level playing field among the league schools. My response was that the schools of the PL would be harmed by lowering their admission requirements. When the average SAT of the incoming class is 1350, admitting a kid with only an 800 does nothing for the athlete or the school as he will flunk out after the first semester. People can get great educations at all of the state universities if they can take advantage of the opportunities that are there.

You also don't have to be a valedictorian to play football in the PL. There's plenty of solid but not spectacular students playing. It's not like every kid got a 1300 and was a NHS member. You HAVE to show the ability to get your work done though.

I honestly don't think Stanford and Northwestern are deviating much from their general student body. Likewise with ND...

Sader87
October 9th, 2013, 09:16 PM
You also don't have to be a valedictorian to play football in the PL. There's plenty of solid but not spectacular students playing. It's not like every kid got a 1300 and was a NHS member. You HAVE to show the ability to get your work done though.

I honestly don't think Stanford and Northwestern are deviating much from their general student body. Likewise with ND...

Ummm...yeah, they are. That being said, I have no problem with it as long as they are capable of graduating from said institutions.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 09:17 PM

Look at it this way. Using simple round numbers - you have 1000 really good high school football players and, using Lehighs acceptance rate of 33% you can peel off 330 football players who could get into Lehigh. How many of those students, outside of central Pennsylvania are considering Lehigh?

the top 66 will likely go to Stanford and the next 70 or so will go to Northwestern, they're just bigger names/markets and more selective.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 09:23 PM

Ummm...yeah, they are. That being said, I have no problem with it as long as they are capable of graduating from said institutions.

I don't know. The NW RB, Mark, was, imo, a smart kid who couldn't play for an SEC school because of his measurables. Dan Persa is another one.

How amazing is it that Northwestern hasn't made the tourney in hoops? All they have to do is get a couple "iffy" Chicago HS stars....it's never happened....

Twentysix
October 9th, 2013, 09:26 PM

This guy, lol. Anyway you slice it for one team, but not for another.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Look at it this way. Using simple round numbers - you have 1000 really good high school football players and, using Lehighs acceptance rate of 33% you can peel off 330 football players who could get into Lehigh. How many of those students, outside of central Pennsylvania are considering Lehigh?

the top 66 will likely go to Stanford and the next 70 or so will go to Northwestern, they're just bigger names/markets and more selective.

Lehigh has a big time recruiting base. Check out their roster. All the IL, PL schools do...

Lehigh is in no way competing with Stanford or Northwestern for recruits. Lehigh is battling fellow PL schools, the CAA, NEC,bottom tier FBS, even scholarship D2 schools...

H, Y, P might battle Northwestern, Vandy, Stanford a little...just a little

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 09:33 PM
While PL pool of eligible recruits is no doubt smaller than a State school, there are still plenty of good players .Key ,as it is every where is talent identification and coaching. Your example is probably as accurate as any but dont forget over 200,000 football players graduate each yr from HS. And being where we are,LU has over 2000 football playing High Schools w/ina couple of hours drive.

kalm
October 9th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Wow.

I'm sorry for creating a stir about elitism. But damn...you PL grads really need to let in some fresh blood...perhaps lower your standards if for no other reason than basic reading comprehension.

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Wow.

I'm sorry for creating a stir about elitism. But damn...you PL grads really need to let in some fresh blood...perhaps lower your standards if for no other reason than basic reading comprehension.
So you want us to lower our academic standards so we can comprehend what you are saying. Interesting

kalm
October 9th, 2013, 09:54 PM
So you want us to lower our academic standards so we can comprehend what you are saying. Interesting

One of you even commented about re-reading the thread and still missed the point...by a wide margin.

Seriously, welcome some new blood that has at least a chance at reasonable discussions.

twocents from the Harvard of the Palouse.

Sader87
October 9th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Not a fan of the AI. It was basically thrust upon the PL by the Ancient 8 i.e. "either use this or we won't play you anymore."

Holy Cross is unique in the PL as we are the only school (in the FCS era) that once offered football scholarships. Were all the players geniuses then? No, but neither are they today. The Holy Cross football players on scholarship in the 1980's were very representative of the student body then though. Many players from that era have gone on to very successful careers in medicine, law, business, education etc. Point being, I agree with many of the dull-eyed, slow witted posters from fly-over country here.... (I kid because I love) the PL has had a sort of a "we're smarter than you" stigma during its existence and that has caused some animosity.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2013, 10:10 PM
One of you even commented about re-reading the thread and still missed the point...by a wide margin.

Seriously, welcome some new blood that has at least a chance at reasonable discussions.

twocents from the Harvard of the Palouse.

No one is looking down at other schools. I don't believe any PL school has to apologize for keeping relatively strict admission policies for athletics. One reason I find the PL and LU fun to root for is how they operate. I also like to pull for ND and Northwestern in football. Being a lifelong Syracuse hoops fan balances me out.

I applaud Temple for stepping up their game under Dunphy and Golden. Dunphy is not recruiting the same kids Cronin is at Cincy...

Chaney on the other hand used Prop 48 to rebuild the program. I've read his book that details his thoughts on partial qualifiers. He didn't agree with it despite his use of it...

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Well that was me and I didn't miss the point. You took a discussion about PL academic standards and expandedit somehow to apply to your own school mentioning that we were elitist. Went back to see if anyone ever referred to you or anyone else. As we had not , one could onlyconclude that we are elitist simply because we do have high academic standards. Not one of us denigrated any school's ability to provide a very good education or that any here did not get one. For reasons known only to you, you decided to provide some ill thoughtout comments implying that we were somehow looking down on other schools,which is not accurate. The conversation was about our issue in the PL not about EWU ,Yale,or any other school. Before you jump into a conversation ,always wise to at least be awareof thebackground.This issue has been discussed ad nauseum by us here and on all our boards for years.

kalm
October 9th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Not a fan of the AI. It was basically thrust upon the PL by the Ancient 8 i.e. "either use this or we won't play you anymore."

Holy Cross is unique in the PL as we are the only school (in the FCS era) that once offered football scholarships. Were all the players geniuses then? No, but neither are they today. The Holy Cross football players on scholarship in the 1980's were very representative of the student body then though. Many players from that era have gone on to very successful careers in medicine, law, business, education etc. Point being, I agree with many of the dull-eyed, slow witted posters from fly-over country here.... (I kid because I love) the PL has had a sort of a "we're smarter than you" stigma during its existence and that has caused some animosity.

Cheney is 300 miles from the Pacific Ocean but since you have an actual sense of reason and humor about this I'm going to bounce your grade in geography from an "f" to a "c+".

Unlike the poster above me.

kalm
October 9th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Well that was me and I didn't miss the point. You took a discussion about PL academic standards and expandedit somehow to apply to your own school mentioning that we were elitist. Went back to see if anyone ever referred to you or anyone else. As we had not , one could onlyconclude that we are elitist simply because we do have high academic standards. Not one of us denigrated any school's ability to provide a very good education or that any here did not get one. For reasons known only to you, you decided to provide some ill thoughtout comments implying that we were somehow looking down on other schools,which is not accurate. The conversation was about our issue in the PL not about EWU ,Yale,or any other school. Before you jump into a conversation ,always wise to at least be awareof thebackground.This issue has been discussed ad nauseum by us here and on all our boards for years.

Please read the thread again for better understanding

Southern Bison
October 9th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Not as clever as you think.

There's your new line for reaching 7K...

Southern Bison
October 9th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Hope and change kinda rubbed off on me...

How's that working out for ya?

Southern Bison
October 9th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Wow.

Kalm, you have to remember that for the PL, there's very little if nothing west of the Hudson. The rest of the country is known as "Flyover States"...Ironic since those Damn Yankees wouldn't have any wood, food, clothing, fuel, coal, etc., etc., etc. if it wasn't for the "Flyover States" or the South.

Southern Bison
October 9th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Holy crap...I'm starting to to post like MPLS...mea culpa!

Sader87
October 9th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Kalm, you have to remember that for the PL, there's very little if nothing west of the Hudson. The rest of the country is known as "Flyover States"...Ironic since those Damn Yankees wouldn't have any wood, food, clothing, fuel, coal, etc., etc., etc. if it wasn't for the "Flyover States" or the South.

Actually I think with your animus toward the North(east) and your admonition of the PL, you sounded like both citdog and MplsBison in the same post....kudos, well done! xbowx

kalm
October 9th, 2013, 10:41 PM

i suspected as much and thanks for the tip. Just trying to help them out withe "academics".

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 10:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n4izWmWug

kalm
October 9th, 2013, 10:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n4izWmWug

Thats a damn fine sounding fight song. Who's is it?

Sader87
October 9th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, for your halftime entertainment, the Citadel gives you the kid from Deliverance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 11:12 PM

Geography not quite accurate as most of the PL is west of the Hudson.xsmiley_wix