PDA

View Full Version : Illinois State vs. Western Illinois

Western_101
October 4th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Might as well get a thread going for this one. This game will be televised live on Comcast Sportsnet Chicago.

Honestly, I have no idea which team holds the upper hand here. The weather should be rainy and the Redbirds abysmal 1-3 start may temper any home field advantage. The Redbirds brand new East Side is awesome.

Prediction WIU 27 ISU 21

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9705536@N08/9562268633/lightbox/

Western_101
October 4th, 2013, 02:11 AM
I think the all time series is 50-41-3 favoring Western. If I am wrong please correct me.

Go 'Necks

Western_101
October 4th, 2013, 03:21 AM
OK..ok I know it is lame, to post three in a row on your own thread, but one thing seemed weird if you click the link...on first post.

HOW in the ****** can ISU have an Arena that new (1990 I think) and there are ZERO hand rails. Good luck old alum, hope you don't tumble to your doom. NO seriously! how are there not one stinking hand rail in the whole arena?

Hammerhead
October 4th, 2013, 08:04 AM
It looks like they have railings to me.

http://stories.illinoisstate.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/08-23-2013-Hancock-Stadium-E2.jpg

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Last year I would have been nuts saying this, but I think WIU takes it..

bodoyle
October 4th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Hoping WIU wins.

World
October 4th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Illinois State wins 35-20

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Illinois State wins 35-20

Hey I remember this guy! Something about an undersized lineman playing RB.

World
October 4th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Hey I remember this guy! Something about an undersized lineman playing RB.

Are you talking about the 6'3" 260 lb Illinois State RB that last year finished 5th in the State of Calfornia JUCO rushing rankings with 140 yards/game?

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Are you talking about the 6'3" 260 lb Illinois State RB that last year finished 5th in the State of Calfornia JUCO rushing rankings with 140 yards/game?
And is now averaging 3.3 yards per carry and 35 yards per game (a mere 140 in 4 games) at the D1 level - without facing a good defense yet?

That guy?

Yeah, him.

MplsBison
October 4th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I think the all time series is 50-41-3 favoring Western. If I am wrong please correct me.

Go 'Necks

Where does this game rank among the Illinois FCS games as far as rivalry is concerned?

I know ILL St v EIU is a rivalry, for example.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 11:16 PM

We had the best JUCO passer out of Cali one year, he might not have been the best but he had some pretty huge accolades, I think he played 2 or 3 snaps as QB. 6000 yards passing 60 TD something like that at the JUCO level.

Those stats didn't amount to a hill of beans in the MVFC.

Western_101
October 5th, 2013, 05:52 AM
It looks like they have railings to me.

http://stories.illinoisstate.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/08-23-2013-Hancock-Stadium-E2.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m497/henrywelsch/redbird/redbird.jpg (http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/henrywelsch/media/redbird/redbird.jpg.html)

Yeah, I was being confusing, The no "handrail" comment was in reference to Redbird Arena.

Western_101
October 5th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Where does this game rank among the Illinois FCS games as far as rivalry is concerned?

I know ILL St v EIU is a rivalry, for example.

I believe this is the 2nd most played FCS rivalry in the State of Illinois. Today's match up will be the 95th meeting all time. Most WIU fans would consider the ISU match up to be the biggest rivalry. ISU is located just under 2 hours East of WIU. However, back when the Leathernecks were contending for conference championships UNI was a pretty big rival. Add to the UNI / WIU rivalry Macomb was the closest FCS program to Cedar Falls.

The oldest FCS rivalry in the State of Illinois is the EIU vs. ISU, which has been played 102 times. Western has played EIU 65 times (leading 40-21-4). Last time WIU and EIU played was 2002. Not sure why this series has been suspended.

Western_101
October 5th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Congrats to the Redbirds, I like listening to Boomer Grigsby on T.V. Kirk Pegler is a capable play by play, but it is distracting that he sounds like Big Bird.

I am absolutely baffled at why Trenton Norvel was so bad. I get that WIU's offensive line is weak, this is not a surprise, but even when he would roll out of the pocket and have good targets he was missing badly. One would think if you are a starting division I Quarterback you could throw accurately when getting flushed out of the pocket.

I have to admit, I loved a comment Boomer made about changes at have time, and Boomer said it go either way, it can be a change your diaper, or change your scheme. That was funny.

MplsBison
October 5th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I believe this is the 2nd most played FCS rivalry in the State of Illinois. Today's match up will be the 95th meeting all time. Most WIU fans would consider the ISU match up to be the biggest rivalry. ISU is located just under 2 hours East of WIU. However, back when the Leathernecks were contending for conference championships UNI was a pretty big rival. Add to the UNI / WIU rivalry Macomb was the closest FCS program to Cedar Falls.

The oldest FCS rivalry in the State of Illinois is the EIU vs. ISU, which has been played 102 times. Western has played EIU 65 times (leading 40-21-4). Last time WIU and EIU played was 2002. Not sure why this series has been suspended.

Thanks for the info!

There's also Southern and Northern and yes I know Northern has moved on to the MAC. But I'd still be interested in seeing all the numbers for the different rivalries.

clenz
October 5th, 2013, 07:55 PM
I see that all world TB for ISU had a huge day again today...

5 carries 13 yards 0 TD 2.6 ypc...

Now down to an amazing 3.2 ypc on the season

Western_101
October 5th, 2013, 08:20 PM
yeah, I guess it is a bit different in Illinois with a population of over 12 million, there really are that many kids that are gonna go to college somewhere. I absolutely love the pea-brains that have embraced the term "directional school"......they are probably the same people that are "constitutionalists"

Illinois State is a "Normal School" Dear God I have never been anywhere on earth with more attractive young women than ISU......oh yeah, they all want to teach kindergarten.

ISU has no Law Program, and no Doctorate of medicine program....... so yeah, I'm prolly gonna have to say that Northern Illinois and Southern Illinois have you beat.

Would it be better if we were like NY.....SUNY? State University of Illinois at........ so we would have SUI Macomb, SUI DeKalb, SUI Normal, SUI Charleston, SUI Carbondale.

I have heard that Northwestern is a pretty good school. I have heard that USC is a pretty good school. I have even heard that UNI is a pretty good school..........................oh wait those are "directional" schools.......LOL.

skinny_uncle
October 5th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the info!

There's also Southern and Northern and yes I know Northern has moved on to the MAC. But I'd still be interested in seeing all the numbers for the different rivalries.

You could track those down at http://cfbdatawarehouse.
(http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/)

clenz
October 5th, 2013, 08:27 PM
He doesn't do his own work...ever.

He waits for someone else to do it, then finds a way to twist the wording to make his point when the numbers don't show what he wants them too.

skinny_uncle
October 5th, 2013, 08:33 PM
SIU has played Illinois State 75 times and leads the series 39-33 with 3 ties. The only team we have more games against is SEMO (80 games).

MplsBison
October 5th, 2013, 08:38 PM
He doesn't do his own work...ever.

He waits for someone else to do it, then finds a way to twist the wording to make his point when the numbers don't show what he wants them too.

It's called "provoking the answer". You should try it sometime. xcoffeex

MplsBison
October 5th, 2013, 08:39 PM
SIU has played Illinois State 75 times and leads the series 39-33 with 3 ties. The only team we have more games against is SEMO.

Thanks for the info! What are SIU's records against WIU, EIU and NIU?

clenz
October 5th, 2013, 08:44 PM
It's called "provoking the answer". You should try it sometime. xcoffeex

I'm not a lazy retard and can do my own work

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

MplsBison
October 5th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I'm not a lazy retard and can do my own work

I didn't say you were and I'm sure you can.

What does that have to do with it?

skinny_uncle
October 5th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the info! What are SIU's records against WIU, EIU and NIU?

WIU 20-34-4
EIU 39-28-1
NIU 14-28-1

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2013, 10:20 PM
I know that some of this is repeated from earlier in the thread, but here's for Western vs state schools in Illinois:

vs SIU - 34-20-4 (58 games)...at one point I believe this was the longest winning streak for one school against another. From '84-'01, Western won every game...18 years...18 games.
vs EIU - 40-21-4 (65 games)
vs ISU - 50-42-3 (95 games)...also, this game has been played every year since 1923 except for '73 (when conference realignment screwed up the schedule, I think).
vs NIU - 17-21-1 (39 games)
we've only played U of I once, in '07...we lost (we play them again in 2015).

Also significant numbers of games against:
Indiana State - 21-15 (36 games)
Northern Iowa - 13-28 (41 games)