PDA

View Full Version : Next member of the Gateway????

Neckfansince71
September 28th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Okay, WKU wants out to play in the extremely competitive D1 look alike SunBelt. Who will then fill their shoes???? Who could it be? My guess is, North Dakota State!!!!

What do you all think?xcoffeex

jc

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Central Arkansas perhaps...

A few years away, but it would not surprise me...

skinny_uncle
September 28th, 2006, 09:52 PM
NDSU is the most common guess I have seen. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

FargoBison
September 28th, 2006, 09:55 PM

Aren't they joining the Southland?

FargoBison
September 28th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Here is a link to an interesting Blog entry about NDSU and the Gateway done by a Fargo TV Sports Anchor.

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=3686

Dallas Demon
September 28th, 2006, 10:17 PM

What would they gain by switching to the Gateway? They're as close or closer to the Southland schools plus they're in it for all sports. I don't see your logic.

September 28th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Here is a link to an interesting Blog entry about NDSU and the Gateway done by a Fargo TV Sports Anchor..."I believe reading between the lines ...
listening to the tone and little comments ...
the impression I got ...
I think she believes ...
My take is ..."

At least he said: "It's hard for me to know what might happen here..."

Tim James
September 28th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Its should be Eastern Illinois of course.

BearsCountry
September 28th, 2006, 11:46 PM
It will be NDSU and SDSU.

89Hen
September 29th, 2006, 07:56 AM
It will be NDSU and SDSU.
:nod: It's a package deal IMO.

siugrad99
September 29th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Would love to see UCA join us also, but that's just me and I know they are committed elsewhere

BisonBacker
September 29th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I really think NDSU is the most logical choice and I also think SDSU will be right there with us. :nod:

Chi Panther
September 29th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I would really like to see NDSU and SDSU in the Gateway.....but the most logical would be for EIU to be back in the Gateway.......

I also like to the see the Koch's get I-AA football at WSU going.....

Cap'n Cat
September 29th, 2006, 01:22 PM
:nod: It's a package deal IMO.

Agreed.

And what's this Central Arkansas shat? There ain't even a flippin' airport 300 miles around 'em!

UCABEARS75
September 29th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Agreed.

And what's this Central Arkansas shat? There ain't even a flippin' airport 300 miles around 'em!

Well that is hardly the truth, Little Rock is about 30 miles away and probably has a bigger airport than most towns in the Gateway.

Cap'n Cat
September 29th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Well that is hardly the truth, Little Rock is about 30 miles away and probably has a bigger airport than most towns in the Gateway.

Well, it IS the truth that Cap'n Cat was exaggerating.............

:nod:

UCABEARS75
October 4th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Well, it IS the truth that Cap'n Cat was exaggerating.............

:nod:

LOL

crunifan
October 4th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Well, I say, since San Diego is officially a top 25 team. We invite them into our humble conference. I mean...it's time Indiana State gets a win.

BearsCountry
October 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Well, I say, since San Diego is officially a top 25 team. We invite them into our humble conference. I mean...it's time Indiana State gets a win.

Hey MSU might get one as well. :)

Cap'n Cat
October 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Hey MSU might get one as well. :)

You guys will be just fine. Hang on a while.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Thumper250
October 4th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Now correct me if I'm wrong. If a school competes in a conference in all sports, and that conference sponsors football, don't they HAVE to compete in said conference for football?

For instance, if Eastern Illinois is in the OVC for everything, they'd have to play OVC football. I don't think the Gateway sponsors non-football sports, correct? So unless EIU leaves the OVC and goes, say, Horizon League or Mid-Con in other sports, they'd have to play OVC football.

Geographically though, EIU would make sense the most. Add NDSU and SDSU and the league's footprint is akin to Paul Bunyan.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

igo4uni
October 4th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Geographically though, EIU would make sense the most.

EIU was in the Gateway and left. Personally, I don't want them back.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BearsCountry
October 4th, 2006, 05:18 PM
You guys will be just fine. Hang on a while.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

You know we are waiting for the upset this week to say told you so. :smiley_wi

BearsCountry
October 4th, 2006, 05:18 PM
EIU was in the Gateway and left. Personally, I don't want them back.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I agree we don't need EIU, besides NDSU and SDSU bring more to the table.

DFW HOYA
October 4th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Drake.

MplsBison
October 4th, 2006, 08:11 PM
If you could guarantee EIU a spot in the MVC, I think they'd switch back to the Gateway in a second.

Not going to happen.

NDSU and SDSU would love to go to the Gateway. Would the Mid Con brass allow such a move when the Mid Con is trying to nurture the Great West into an AQ conference of its own?

Other than that, not many options.

You could try and get some of the MVC schools that don't play football or play non scholarship football to move up (Drake would be ideal). Wichita would also be nice.

One other thing to consider would be regional DII move ups. Specifically, something like Grand Valley State and Saginaw State.

igo4uni
October 4th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Drake.

I don't see Drake moving up to scholarship football. They dropped it a while back and it would be a surprising move if they brought it back. :twocents:

OSRacer
October 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Wichita State....

I know, I know, but could be a good fit....

igo4uni
October 4th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Wichita State....

I know, I know, but could be a good fit....

I know, I know, it could hapen.

BearsCountry
October 4th, 2006, 11:24 PM
The Shockers adding football and Drake moving up to scholly ball would be awesome but I doubt will happen anytime soon. So the Dakotas would be excellent additions.

pantherclaw
October 5th, 2006, 01:08 PM
One other thing to consider would be regional DII move ups. Specifically, something like Grand Valley State and Saginaw State.

I agree with the D-II's but aren't GVSU and SSU in Michigan? To me if the Gateway were to re-align, kick out YSU, and have say Northwest Missouri State move up. Though they're pretty happy we're they're at since they're a much smaller school(6,000) However after looking over enrollment, GVSU is 23,000 students, so they would be the second biggest school in the Gateway.(MVC) I also wouldn't mind UND b/c they'd be coming into D-IAA about the time WKU is leaving. I think that the Mid-Con wouldn't be to happy to acquire the Great West only to lose two of those members. Just some thoughts after doing a little research.

EDIT: SIUE dosen't play football, thanks dbackjon.

dbackjon
October 5th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I agree with the D-II's but aren't GVSU and SSU in Michigan? To me if the Gateway were to re-align, kick out YSU, and have say Northwest Missouri State move up. Though they're pretty happy we're they're at since they're a much smaller school(6,000) However after looking over enrollment, GVSU is 23,000 students, so they would be the second biggest school in the Gateway(MVC) also, theres another more central school that i think would make a good addition. SIU Edwardsville they're right at 13,000 and are a more central location. SIU Carbondale fans, would that school be allowed to compete in the same division as SIUC or would SIUC fans oppose such a measure? Just dome thoughts after doing a little research.

SIU-E doesn't play football.

pantherclaw
October 5th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Ah, wow, missed that obvious factor. Thanks dbackjon, my apologies for the error

dbackjon
October 5th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Ah, wow, missed that obvious factor. Thanks dbackjon, my apologies for the error
;)

arkstfan
October 5th, 2006, 01:36 PM
For all ya'll know SIU-E may have already been admitted to the GFC. In fact I think they play as many GFC games as non-GFC. :smiley_wi

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM
In the last week it appears things are starting to slowly move and if they continue I think NDSU and SDSU will be a lock for the Gateway in either 08 or 09. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

BisonBacker
October 8th, 2006, 03:51 PM
If the gateway is looking for a winning program and one that will add to the quality of play for its members I don't see how they could pass on NDSU? I know I'm biased but what we are doing on the football field speaks for itself.

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2006, 01:33 AM
agreed. :twocents:

AZGrizFan
October 10th, 2006, 01:41 AM
In the last week it appears things are starting to slowly move and if they continue I think NDSU and SDSU will be a lock for the Gateway in either 08 or 09. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Big Sky Conference leadership are idiots. xidiotx :bang: xidiotx xidiotx :bang: :bang: xidiotx xidiotx :bang: :bang:

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Big Sky Conference leadership are idiots. xidiotx :bang: xidiotx xidiotx :bang: :bang: xidiotx xidiotx :bang: :bang:

yeah, UNC doesn't seem to have a bright future like NSDU.