PDA

View Full Version : Versus tv channel

psc2445
September 28th, 2006, 08:41 PM
I was watching some of the byu vs tcu game on the VERSUS channel which until now i didnt even know existed. during commercials it was showing cstv ads showing the games on this weekend. It mentioned Lafayette vs Yale. Does cstv broadcast games on this versus network? any help would be appreciated.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM
They are all Viacom owned entities...

CSTV, CBS, OLN (now Versus), MTV, Nick, etc...

chattanoogamocs
September 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM
versus has got to be one of the stupidest network name I have ever heard :nonono2:
(what was wrong with OLN? ...most of the stuff they show is still "outdoor"...even if it isn't hunting and fishing).

"i" network, the "cw", "spike" tv

I guess I am just old fashioned when it comes to my call letters, three letters only! the big three, TNT, TBS, USA...etc, etc. CONFORM! :rotateh:

...and worst thing is, someone got paid a lot of money to come up with these new and "improved" names.

sorry for hijacking the thread :)

psc2445
September 28th, 2006, 08:56 PM
They are all Viacom owned entities...

CSTV, CBS, OLN (now Versus), MTV, Nick, etc...

thanks, but can i watch the cstv games on that network or no. i dont have cstv and would like to have it

Sly Fox
September 28th, 2006, 09:03 PM
At this point, no.

Actually, Versus is not owned by Viacom. Comcast bought the network with the intention of making it a major national sports channel. That's why they changed the name as they slowly wean off the outdoors background and move into major contracts (i.e. NHL, boxing).

GSUhooligan
September 28th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Awesome, the only outdoor channel that doesn't harp on huntin' and fishin' is dropping good outdoor programming for hockey and boxing.....:pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke:

GeauxColonels
September 28th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I think what the network execs was thinking is that they want to try to capture more of the sports market. Even though they showed NHL and Mountain West football games, most people (including myself) wondered why the HELL college football and NHL are on the Outdoor Life Network.

I'm not sure that VS or Versus is the best name for the network, but I think they're trying to sell it as a network to see sports match-ups of all kinds. Either way....as long as it leads to more college football that I can watch, I'm happy!

aceinthehole
September 29th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Yeah, its stupid name, but it is simply the Outdoor Life Networ (OLN) which is owned by Comcast.

My brother is a producer over there and said as they have added "indoor" and team sports such as hockey, etc. and because they actually want to compete against ESPN, they changed their name. They plan on being a competing all-sports network to ESPN, FSN, and others.

Personally, I would have fired the PR firm that came up with the name!

GGASU
September 29th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I think the name is a 1000% improvement. I never knew what the hell OLN stood for anyway, I just knew it showed a lot of hockey.

I remember during the playoffs we would watch the games at a sports bar and numerous people would ask what was OLN, no one knew. I think the only ones who knew what it stood for, were people who like to kill small animals with high powered weapons. :rolleyes:

Now it is pretty easy to know that Vs is a sports channel.