PDA

View Full Version : Playing I-A

bluehenbillk
September 28th, 2006, 07:18 AM
What do you expect when a top 10 1-A team plays a 1-AA team, the game shouldn't be played.

Retro
September 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM
What do you expect when a top 10 1-A team plays a 1-AA team, the game shouldn't be played.

Kind of like when a top 10 I-AA team plays a div II team or lower, and then gets beat or struggles? :rolleyes:

bluehenbillk
September 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM
The gap between the top of D-2 (take North Dakota for example) & any of 1-AA is much smaller than the top of 1-AA versus that of 1-A. Let's get real, if UNH or Appy plays the USC's or Ohio State's of the world it's a definite reality check.

Retro
September 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM
The gap between the top of D-2 (take North Dakota for example) & any of 1-AA is much smaller than the top of 1-AA versus that of 1-A. Let's get real, if UNH or Appy plays the USC's or Ohio State's of the world it's a definite reality check.

I Don't really agree with that in if you look at how for example App state played LSU last year, that was not a runway for LSU.. There are different outcomes week to week because college football is a game of emotion and teams can play up or down to their opponent.. Anyway, If a Top I-AA team is on their game, they can play with a Top I-a team...

I don't expect SHS to give Texas much of a fight, because SHS is not as good this year, but if it were New Hampshire or App State, then maybe a much closer game.

bluehenbillk
September 28th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Close may be a relative term, LSU still won by 17 last year I think. Meanwhile you have North Dakota beating UNI. My point is, the # of times an elite D-2 team is going to beat let's say a top 25 1-AA team is greater than that of a elite 1-AA team beating a top 25 1-A team (which I believe has never happened).

Retro
September 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Close may be a relative term, LSU still won by 17 last year I think. Meanwhile you have North Dakota beating UNI. My point is, the # of times an elite D-2 team is going to beat let's say a top 25 1-AA team is greater than that of a elite 1-AA team beating a top 25 1-A team (which I believe has never happened).

Your original point was that the game should not be played.. That's what i've responded to and disagree with because you never know what the outcome will be till the game is played. When people ask Mcneese coach Tommy Tate about a games againest I-A opponents. He always says "We're going there to win the game" unlike some coaches who don't give their team any help by sandbagging their chances.

bluehenbillk
September 28th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Your original point was that the game should not be played.. That's what i've responded to and disagree with because you never know what the outcome will be till the game is played. When people ask Mcneese coach Tommy Tate about a games againest I-A opponents. He always says "We're going there to win the game" unlike some coaches who don't give their team any help by sandbagging their chances.

I still would say why is a 1-AA team playing a top 10 team like Texas? YSU-Ohio St, same thing. Look I understand they're in the same state & I understand the Tressel thing & I understand some schools look at it as a payday. I wouldn't discourage 1-AA's from scheduling 1-A's but how about a team you have a shot against?? If McNeese wants to play La-Lafayette, La-Monroe or La Tech, thats fine & could be a decent game. Play LSU though & it's not as fun (unless you stay at the tailgate).

Retro
September 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM
You have to consder the fact that a lot of teams schedule games regardless of where they might be in the rankings Prior to Mack Brown, Texas wasn't a top ten team..

Ranking shouldn't be an issue for the I-AA teams.. You want to put together a good schedule that doesn't hijack your season progress toward winning conference, which is the ultimate goal.. In addition, A lot of I-AA schools strictly look a the big paycheck, which is fine if they want... Usually though it comes down to filling a hole in the schedule and if you've already got 6 home games and no good I-AA opponents to choose from, then you go for the best offer and like it or not, money and travel play a part in the decision...

Ralph, Every thread on here usually gets off the subject a little, so lighten up.:smiley_wi

bluehenbillk
September 28th, 2006, 03:09 PM
You have to consder the fact that a lot of teams schedule games regardless of where they might be in the rankings Prior to Mack Brown, Texas wasn't a top ten team..

Ranking shouldn't be an issue for the I-AA teams.. You want to put together a good schedule that doesn't hijack your season progress toward winning conference, which is the ultimate goal.. In addition, A lot of I-AA schools strictly look a the big paycheck, which is fine if they want... Usually though it comes down to filling a hole in the schedule and if you've already got 6 home games and know good I-AA opponents to choose from, then you go for the best offer and like it or not, money and travel play a part in the decision...

Ralph, Every thread on here usually gets off the subject a little, so lighten up.:smiley_wi

Retro I agree with you 100%. If a 1-AA is going to play a Texas per se, normally it's scheduled a few years in advance as is their whole schedule, at least the oppnents, I know the dates for what conference teams they play are finalized closer. I just would rather see more intersectional power 1-AA's play each other and more great 1-A games like a Texas-Ohio St versus a blowout 9 times out of 10 where the backups are getting a lot of PT.

Ralph, Every thread on here usually gets off the subject a little, so lighten up.:smiley_wi Agreed.

kats89
September 29th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I Don't really agree with that in if you look at how for example App state played LSU last year, that was not a runway for LSU.. There are different outcomes week to week because college football is a game of emotion and teams can play up or down to their opponent.. Anyway, If a Top I-AA team is on their game, they can play with a Top I-a team...

I don't expect SHS to give Texas much of a fight, because SHS is not as good this year, but if it were New Hampshire or App State, then maybe a much closer game.

The UT game was booked in the summer of '05 and we were coming off an 11-3 year. Who would have thought we would have sucked as bad as we did last year?

Realistically, I dont expect the UT game to be close at all, but you cant tell me they are not looking ahead to OU next weekend. All their fans are. It's why we play the games. I just hope it will be a respectable showing for the KATS.

putter
September 29th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I still would say why is a 1-AA team playing a top 10 team like Texas? YSU-Ohio St, same thing. Look I understand they're in the same state & I understand the Tressel thing & I understand some schools look at it as a payday. I wouldn't discourage 1-AA's from scheduling 1-A's but how about a team you have a shot against?? If McNeese wants to play La-Lafayette, La-Monroe or La Tech, thats fine & could be a decent game. Play LSU though & it's not as fun (unless you stay at the tailgate).

M-O-N-E-Y!! You are not going to get $850k from La-Monroe or La-Lafayette like OSU is giving YSU or $650k Iowa gave the Griz. I realize it gives you more of a shot to win but I guess a school has to look at what the priority is!!

Lionsrking
September 29th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Come on now Retro...let's be realistic.

poly51
September 29th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Most of us would love to see our program on USC's or Notre Dame's schedule regardless of the money or their ranking. The same with Ohio State, Texas or any of the top BCS schools. Sometimes you take your lumps to play with the best. Anyone, anyplace. anytime.

swaghook
September 29th, 2006, 04:49 PM
anytime.

Anytime, Anywhere (http://195.186.65.217/sounds/lipservice_10_anytime_anywhere.mp3):cool: